Green Room

Air Vaporware

posted at 4:06 pm on April 21, 2009 by

Could any other company do business the way airlines do business? They’re willing to sell you something that they don’t have, can’t provide, and know with absolute certainty they can’t give you. Not just promise it to you, but charge your credit card for the full price.

I always buy non-stop plane tickets, when possible, because I know full well that the flights will be overbooked (because they always are). Personally, I think it’s worth the extra hundred bucks to be stranded in either my originating or destination city — rather than Detroit or DFW or somewhere, trying to sleep across three plastic chairs without getting my carry-on stolen.

But that doesn’t negate the fact that the airlines are selling you a ticket for a flight that they know you’ll never take. And that extra money you paid for the non-stop flight? You’ll be lucky to have less than three stops on the flight you finally get, two days later.

It’s like if you went car shopping, did your research, and decided on a Honda. So you do your negotiating, decide on a price, give them your financing paperwork, and write a check for the balance. After all this, you’re about to drive it off the lot, and the salesman laughs, “Hahaha. No, no. Just kidding. You can’t have that car. We already sold it to someone else.”

“But,” he says, “you can go across the street to that Fold dealership. They agreed to give you an old Pinto that’s been on their lot for a while. You can pick it up next Tuesday. Oh, and the air conditioning doesn’t work.”

Seriously, could that happen in any industry other than air travel?

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Lucky me, I fly Southwest and it’s been great every time. That said the airlines are a perfect example of what we should have let all these troubled companies. How many times do they go bankrupt and yet most of them still exist. But your right, they seem to be a bad model to ever be a thriving industry.

Cindy Munford on April 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM

I was going to say that Southwest doesn’t fly here, but I just checked their map, and they do!

I used to fly with them all the time, and I never had a problem either. I don’t remember how stopovers work, though — when you can’t be sure you’ll be early enough to get a low number.

Tanya on April 21, 2009 at 8:03 PM

I am getting ready to go to Virginia, I had checked the prices last week but hadn’t made the purchase. Today they were cheaper. My son lived in MA and he could fly non-stop into Virginia if he left out of Logan but he could leave out of New Hampshire on Southwest with one change and it still was faster. Plus they are funny. They let a ninety year old man sing on the PA system, it his birthday. Anyway, Florida to Virginia 1 hr. 15 minutes $49 or ten hours in the car. No brainer.

Cindy Munford on April 21, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Actually, it is interesting that you used the term vaporware. As someone that has played mmos for years, you commonly have people complain that the first year or so of an online game, the players are paying to beta test it. It is very common for games to be released in an unfinished state.

coyoterex on April 22, 2009 at 4:01 AM

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM
Top Pick

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Top Pick

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”