Green Room

O, The Discomfort!

posted at 10:44 am on April 19, 2009 by

The lefties have their shorts in a twist about the CIA “torture” memos. The latest is the revelation, contrary to an earlier report, that the terrorists to whom this was applied didn’t cave within seconds and start spilling the information that prevented “dozens of attacks,” but were treated to repeat applications over a period of a month, 183 applications of water in the case of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, 83 in the case of Abu Zubayadah. The only other person to be waterboarded by the CIA, Cole plotter al-Nashiri, apparently spilled a lot quicker.

Breaks my heart. The memo in question makes interesting reading though, notes the extensive limitations on the use of waterboarding and other measures, and includes a lot of legal opining on precedents.

The lefties, oddly enough, left a lot out in their cherrypicking of the memo and their indignant insistence that the United States engage in a sort of Ed Norton “Fight Club” self-pummeling. These and other points discussed here … including the odd silence late on collateral damage from the anti-war crowd.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Try as I might, I cannot bring myself to sadness over this. I wonder if it’s despite or because of I have a heart

thebrokenrattle on April 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM

An insider at the CIA has confided in me that they’ve already fast tracked the new methods of extracting information: the Comfy Chair and Poking With Soft Cushions.

Nethicus on April 19, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Nethicus on April 19, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Don’t forget the (dish) rack!

Kafir on April 19, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Another shining example of the bizarre world we live in. Can’t call terrorists terrorists and if they things they do are discussed it is fear mongering. But our folks need to be shot at sunrise. I liked the description of the insect torture, does anyone remember the photos of the bugs in Iraq?

Cindy Munford on April 19, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Top Pick

Top Pick

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…

Trump: I never made any recordings of Comey

Allahpundit Jun 22, 2017 2:01 PM

Bluff.

Hackers stole private data from election databases

John Sexton Jun 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Failure to protect the city

Big man on the Middle Eastern campus

Biased Americans see media as biased.

Tough times down on the liberal ranch

Will Nancy Pelosi survive this latest Dem disaster?

Andrew Malcolm Jun 22, 2017 8:41 AM

Eat quick, before it’s gone.

Slow your roll, boss

“I’m bothered by the lack of emerging evidence…”

FIrst look at the Senate health bill

John Sexton Jun 21, 2017 9:21 PM

Divide and conquer?

You know, I may have cracked the case for you, guys