Green Room

Unstupidification Failure

posted at 8:54 am on April 18, 2009 by

Spanish judge to Spanish AG: “How dare you attempt to render me unstupid?”

OK, that’s not exactly how he said it. But investigative judge Baltasar Garzon insists he will press ahead with the persecution of Bush admin officials on torture charges, despite a lack of jurisdiction, and despite the lack of interest in the duly elected lefty anti-war administration that otherwise can’t seem to get enough Bush-bashing. And I’d add editorially, despite the fact that while some abusive behavior already has been prosecuted in the United States, the most egregious behavior in question falls into a debatable gray area, and has been routinely used on American soldiers by other American soldiers in training exercises. If Garzon wants to prosecute torturers, I’d suggest he’d find a lot more clear-cut cases in, say, China, Cuba, North Korea, Iran, for starters.

Barcepundit is unsurprised at Garzon’s failure to be unstupidified, given that the former Socialist pol has a history of pressing on with political prosecutions

Previously:

Spanish Inquisition Update

Spanish prosecutors attempt to unstupid a judge … again.

… righteous Spanish judges concerned about misdeeds outside their borders may want to consider indicting socialist PM Zapatero for cowardice for his decision to yank Spanish troops from Iraq in the wake of the 2004 al-Qaeda bombing campaign on the Madrid train system.

Spanish Inquisition

Eyeballs Bush admin lawyers for war crimes charges … Gutless as usual. If I were a Spanish taxpayer, I’d be getting annoyed with the waste of my money about now, but then, if I was a Spanish voter, odds are I’d be a socialist …

Judgment

A Spanish court finally exercises some. Murder charges dropped against three American soldiers in the Hotel Palestine incident.

Al-Qaeda-Cowed Nations Indicts US Soldiers

It was only a matter of time. Charges of homicide and “crimes against the international community” from a Spanish court against LTC deCamp, Maj. Philip Wolford and Sgt. Shawn Gibson in the death of Jose Cuoso in the Hotel Palestine in Baghdad, April 8, 2003.

Full disclosure: I consider the abovementioned American soldiers to be friends, was present during the incident in question, and offered to go to Spain to testify on the April 8, 2003 Palestine Hotel incident, also on what cowards I consider the Spanish people to be, as represented by their courts and their government. Not to include my pal Barcepundit and other mortified, right-thinking Spaniards.

Crossposted.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Good Lord!! On the upside it is good to see that other nations have judges that are political hacks. Not knowing their system I have to wonder what they get out of it? Is this to further their political careers or does it get them guest spots on all the right(left) media? All of us could use a system where judges are quiet interpreters of the law and not another group of people dedicated to their own self promotion. I don’t know how we would attain that pinnacle but right now I don’t even think we are shooting for it.

Cindy Munford on April 18, 2009 at 10:59 AM

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

The Monster on April 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM
Top Pick

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Top Pick

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”

Excuses, excuses.

Not really a “kill all the lawyers” scenario

4 pm ET!

“it has not taken serious steps to end its own complicity in trafficking, including forced laborers from North Korea.”