Green Room

Stephen Gordon Tea-Bags Rachel Maddow

posted at 10:44 am on April 15, 2009 by

My buddy Stephen Gordon, who helped break the DHS ‘Rightwing Extremist’ report, was on MSNBC last night with Rachel Maddow.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

(H/T: Liberty Papers.) Gordo’s hard shots at Newt Gingrich, Mike Huckabee and Alan Keyes should suffice to dispel any notion that the Tea Party movement is a “neocon/Republican/Fox News” conspiracy. Gordo is a genuine libertarian, who was Alabama coordinator for Ron Paul’s GOP primary campaign, then worked as a strategist for Bob Barr‘s Libertarian Party presidential campaign. He has been deeply involved in helping plan Tea Party events in Alabama.

Full disclosure: I’m posting this from Gordo’s dining room at his home in Hartselle, Alabama. I’m participating in two Alabama (Sweet) Tea Party events today, on the University Quad in Tuscaloosa at 5 p.m. CDT, and at 6:30 p.m. at Veteran’s Park in Hoover.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Give ’em Hell, Stacy

DaveC on April 15, 2009 at 11:05 AM

You can go in so many directions with Maddow’s line, ‘I like props’..

DaveC on April 15, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Full disclosure: I’m posting this from Gordo’s dining room at his home in Hartselle, Alabama.

Ha!

Repurblican on April 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM

You guys are genuine patriots! I wish more people supported Dr. Paul and his campaign for liberty, but most people on this site and other blogs just want to trash him because of his foreign policy views.

nazo311 on April 15, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I wish more people supported Dr. Paul

It’s important to understand the insight that someone shared with me last year: “The Ron Paul movement wasn’t about Ron Paul. It was about a movement.”

Could anyone reasonably claim that John McCain represented a movement?

Conservatives need to re-learn the idea of building a movement, instead of sitting around passively waiting for the Next Ronald Reagan to just magically appear.

The Other McCain on April 15, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I agree, that’s why he created the campaign for liberty and that’s why he came out in support of third party candidates in last year’s election.

I think conservatives realize this as well, but we have to stand up for principals. We can’t give George Bush a pass for having the idea that the only way to save the free market is to abandon it in favor of bailouts. That’s not a very convincing argument for the free market. What that allowed the Dems to do now, is to say, “The free market does not work, see we tried it that way and look what happened,” when we were not working by free market principals. If we had more people speaking up against the first bailout like Dr. Paul and had the same opposition that the McCain/Kennedy amnesty bill had a couple years ago, maybe things would be different.

nazo311 on April 15, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Look,Maddow,I`m pretty sure Winston Churchill and
Sir Bomber Harris had many cups of tea,plotting
Germanys demise!

canopfor on April 15, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I’ll never look at a tea bag the same way again.

manwithblackhat on April 15, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Could anyone reasonably claim that John McCain represented a movement?

The Other McCain on April 15, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Say it loud!!!

manwithblackhat on April 15, 2009 at 12:33 PM

“Ron Paul supporters are saying that Newt Gingrich and those like him have co-opted THEIR protest movement”

What?

Sorry the Paulians may have tried during the election but got nowhere with it. It was a conservative mother in Seattle that started this phenomenon and now that its gaining movement they think they can claim it as their own?

I agree that Gingrich belongs nowhere near any of these events but to think the thousands of these people are isolationist conservatives is ridiculous.

These protests are against congress in general, Rs and Ds. I love your website RS and your posts as I find them educational but it seems to me from this clip that going on her show is more like being a useful idiot in front of the MSNBC crowd then really getting your message across.

Again, I think you are making the mistake in thinking that the tea parties are about a political party when the libertarians are trying to do exactly that. Please for the love of god I hope I don’t see any Ron Paul signs or shouting down of the speakers.

broker1 on April 15, 2009 at 1:00 PM

It’s odd, but Butch blathers on about “teabagging” as if she doesn’t get the joke, which she clearly does get and continues to exploit as a simple Democrap talking point.

Talking about deviant sexual behavior must come so naturally to the MSNBC queers that they don’t even notice it anymore.

Jaibones on April 15, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Maddow’s audience expects that kind of stuff, and Gordo played along with it pretty cleverly.

The Other McCain on April 15, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I wish more people supported Dr. Paul and his campaign for liberty,

nazo311 on April 15, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Meanwhile his spokesperson is trashing republicans…you don’t see the irony?
Many of us were against the runaway spending of congress, no matter who was in charge.
You just had someone who is partially right on a couple of items, and so wrong on so many others.

right2bright on April 15, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I can’t believe anyone actually watches this guy’s show.

HuskerNate on April 15, 2009 at 4:02 PM

This is a silly argument. So instead of the message of the “tea parties” they are arguing who thought of it first.

Silly and childish.

geckomon on April 15, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Gordo is a genuine libertarian, who was Alabama coordinator for Ron Paul’s GOP primary campaign, then worked as a strategist for Bob Barr’s Libertarian Party presidential campaign. He has been deeply involved in helping plan Tea Party events in Alabama.

This speaks volumes.

Sultry Beauty on April 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM

A familiar GOP pattern when in power: Squabbling

Andrew Malcolm Jun 29, 2017 10:01 AM
Top Pick

Not exactly teamwork.

Top Pick

Merkel plots confrontation on climate change.

Button it up.

“I repeat I am innocent of these charges. They are false.”

Just a reminder: People will die

Allahpundit Jun 28, 2017 10:41 PM

“Whipped cream’s killing more people than ever before.”

Medicare for all?

“There comes a point where you gotta get off the crazy train.”

Poll: Dem voters glumly sticking with Pelosi

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 8:41 PM

Disaster ahead?

“When she left it, it was in better shape than it had ever been.”

Manafort, firm registers as foreign agents

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 6:41 PM

Better late than never?

Delivered as promised

“I would like to think that the president saved many innocent men, women and children.”

“The Russia investigation was by far the dominant topic…”

The merry little media war continues.

Criminal enterprise

Politico: Has the SPLC lost its way?

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 3:01 PM

“The organization has always tried to find ways to milk money out of the public…”

Trump legal team backing away from Comey complaint?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 2:31 PM

De-escalation?

Time to get up and go to work, sir

CNN gets glum, defensive after resignations

John Sexton Jun 28, 2017 1:01 PM

“If Jeff lit himself on fire, it wouldn’t appease the pro-Trump media.”

Hmmm: FBI probing Russia-based anti-virus firm?

Ed Morrissey Jun 28, 2017 12:31 PM

“I wouldn’t put their stuff on my computer if you paid me.”

He works hard for the money…

It’s not a slippery slope. It’s a freaking avalanche.

Nuts.

Showdown: Sarah Palin vs the New York Times

Jazz Shaw Jun 28, 2017 9:21 AM

Defamation

Credit where creditor’s due?

More flash than bang, but a very bad sign

“Felix was out on bond after threatening another public servant and has a history of making threats.”

Chaffetz: House needs housing allowances?

Ed Morrissey Jun 27, 2017 8:41 PM

“There are dozens upon dozens of members living in their offices, and I don’t know how healthy that is long term.”

“This isn’t going to get a lot cheaper, it can’t, it won’t.”

“…what we failed to achieve with votes, we would do with weapons.”

“[S]o dumb it’s amazing we even have to have the conversation.”

“It was not necessary.”

“You’re inflaming everyone right here right now with those words!”

“Trump’s people said, ‘We’ll be writing the speech that the President’s Audio-Animatronic figure will be saying.'”