Green Room

Alabama Sweet Tea!

posted at 10:43 am on April 14, 2009 by

Fox News may be the only national network covering tomorrow’s Tax Day Tea Party, but I guess local media didn’t get the JournoList memo. At Alabama’s NBC13, Jen Hale reports:

This Wednesday, hundreds of thousands of folks will gather across the country for political tea parties — including in Alabama. . . .
Hoover’s Veteran’s Park will serve as the staging ground for the Birmingham/Shelby County Tea Party.
Wednesday at 6:30, hundreds of folks are expected to rally for things like pro-capitalism policies, smaller government and less federal spending.
“The deficit, the debt the country is going into – it’s going to affect them, their children and their grandchildren,“ says Zan Green, one of the tea party’s organizers.
Green says many conservatives are worried about the direction of the country – and ready to lobby for a change of course.
“It’s very frightening. It’s not the way we are. We’re not that type of a country. We don’t want to be like everybody else,“ she explains.

Absolutely — and I’ll be at Veteran’s Park tomorrow for the rally. In a few hours, I’ll be packing up the laptop and driving 700 miles to Decatur, Alabama, where I’ll be staying at the home of my buddy, Libertarian Party activist Stephen Gordon.

Stephen has helped organize and promote the Alabama events. (He’s the guy who obtained the DHS “terrorist” report.) Now, pushing back against the JournoList meme that the Tea Party movement is a GOP/neocon “AstroTurf” conspiracy, Stephen writes at the Liberty Papers:

WYDE’s Lee Davis . . . is perhaps the biggest GOP cheerleader in Alabama radio and obviously I’m not. However, Davis will be speaking at the same event I was promoting. While we may disagree on much, we certainly agree about this. . .
WAPI’s Matt Murphy will be speaking, as well. He was so upset with John McCain and the Republican Party that he endorsed Bob Barr on the air last Election Day. Another Barr supporter, Robert Stacy McCain, will be leaving D.C. for my house [Tuesday]. He’ll be speaking in Birmingham, as well.

Some of my Republican friends practically disowned me for voting for Barr — which nonetheless gave me a great T-shirt slogan — just like some of my Democratic friends and family can’t understand why I became an ex-Democrat 15 years ago. (Hint: From My Cold Dead Hands.)

Crazy Cousin John lost the election because he supported the bailout, and any Republican in Congress who votes for the Obamanomics agenda (It Won’t Work!) is going to become an ex-member of Congress if I have anything to say about it.

If you volunteer to be a doormat, don’t complain about the footprints on your back. And if you’re willing to vote for any old useless backstabbing RINO crapweasel just because he’s got an “R” beside his name — hello, Arlen Specter! — then don’t complain that the Republican Party doesn’t respect you. If all you care about is blind unprincipled partisanship, you’re no better than Obama’s media drool buckets.

That’s the way I roll, and now I’m rolling down to Alabama. Folks down home know how to party, and this Alabama Tea Party is not about the Republican Party. So hit that theme song, boys, and like old Ronnie said, “Turn it up!”

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Great song.

Repurblican on April 14, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Have a safe (and fun!) trip.

There aren’t any current Alabamians on the Journolist anyway, are there? Doesn’t seem like their kind of gig.

cs89 on April 14, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Folks in Alabama ain’t about lists. Just kick butt. Let somebody else worry about taking names.

The Other McCain on April 14, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I’m going to a small one myself tomorrow in little rock
One local radio station is promoting it and the rest of the media surpressed it. shocker

3:45 to 6 on the capitol steps in downtown little rock

kangjie on April 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Play sum Skynard!

juanito on April 14, 2009 at 3:23 PM

The Other McCain on April 14, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Nice post… Party hardy and let your voice be heard! I’ll be jammin at the Billings tea party.

Keemo on April 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM

I’ll be tea partying in Mobile.. I hope there is a huge turnout!!

kringeesmom on April 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM

That’s the way I roll, and now I’m rolling down to Alabama. Folks down home know how to party, and this Alabama Tea Party is not about the Republican Party. So hit that theme song, boys, and like old Ronnie said, “Turn it up!”

Safe journey!

I cannot decide if mendacity or ignorance is why liberal statists claim that the tea party protests are for and about the GOP. I suppose, all the same, it is the latter. That reminds me of a comment made about an unrelated topic, but dealing with a similar lack of care for truth: Either they say what they know to be false or they recklessly make statements and charges as if they had knowledge when in fact they have none. Of the latter, Johnson would say, “He lies,” and of the former, “Sir, he lies and knows he lies.”

Well, enough with that sour business. Looking forward to the sweet tea report tomorrow!

Threshing Flora on April 14, 2009 at 9:44 PM

McConnell may not get his wish on health care vote

Taylor Millard Jun 25, 2017 7:31 PM
Top Pick

Senate leadership wants a vote this week, others say, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Top Pick

Helping others without the government.

“…the reality is the reality.”

These kiosks don’t make $15 per hour or need benefits

Going for the record

“We will answer them on the field”

Taking it to the limit

Sunday morning talking heads

Jazz Shaw Jun 25, 2017 8:01 AM

Health care and tweeting and Russia, oh my!

Will they stay or will they go?

I can’t imagine what I was thinking when I said that

Rocking the boat majorly

Big government never contracts. It only grows more powerful

It’s only a “ban” until it becomes inconvenient

The decline and fall of Obamacare and the AHCA

Jazz Shaw Jun 24, 2017 8:31 AM

This was all over before it began

Fixing crime in America is a complicated issue

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 8:31 PM

Cops alone won’t solve it.

Democrats forgot all about the “era of good feelings”

“Bernie and Jane Sanders have lawyered up.”

Winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing

Trump signs VA reform bill into law

John Sexton Jun 23, 2017 2:41 PM

A new era of something.

“…died suddenly in less than a week just after his return to the U.S.”

The shortsightedness of “Denounce and Preserve”

Taylor Millard Jun 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Pragmatism for the sake of pragmatism doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if you threw in a new car?

Gay marriages still growing, but not as fast

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 10:31 AM

More, but not as quickly.

Should’ve stuck with the pirate gig. It was working for him

The battle for the rubble of Raqqa is underway

Andrew Malcolm Jun 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Won’t be much left.

Your list of demands is a publicity stunt

“The jobs are still leaving. Nothing has stopped.”

Bad vendor. Bad! No cookie!

“So you want me to sing my praises, is that what you’re saying?”

Why would we possibly want that?

“I mean he sold our country to The Russians.”

I could think of someone else you might want to ask about…