Meghan, you ignorant . . .
posted at 9:53 pm on April 13, 2009 by The Other McCain
. . . do we really have to go there? Name-calling and flaming this ditzy 24-year-old whose only claim to fame is that her father is the RINO loser who blew the election and put Barack Obama in the White House?
Well, yes we do. Meghan McCain’s argument is not really an argument. The problem with such a pseudo-argument is that one is tempted to waste time picking it apart line by line. But that could take years and cost thousands of lives.
The pseudo-argument deserves genuine contempt. Meghan’s utter disregard for evidence and logic, her special-pleading and her bid for second-hand authenticity — “a dear friend of mine who’s both gay and Republican” — are an open invitation to ad hominem. Particularly odious is the twit’s invocation of “rock star” Ronald Reagan, as if the battle to pass Proposition 178 is somehow analogous to the current debate over same-sex marriage. It’s not.
Nor is this a valid syllogism:
- My friend is [a member of Constituency X];
- My friend is a nice person who votes Republican;
- Most members of Constituency X favor policy Position Y; therefore
- If you don’t support Position Y, you’ll lose Constituency X and you’ll be terribly cruel to my friend and hurt his feelings boo hoo hoo.
Substitute random values for X and Y, and that kind of pseudo-argument could lead to strange places we don’t even want to think about going. It is an attempt to play on our emotions, to accuse opponents of unfairness and bigotry, and if Meghan wants to roll that way, she’d better be prepared to have people say rude things about her. (And I do.)
Given that this Green Room format is new, I wasn’t sure if it was permissible to develop a side-thread discussing something already being discussed on the main page. But if you want to discuss Meghan’s pseudo-argument as a matter of forensics, or if you simply want to call her ugly names, feel free to do it here. Because that’s just the way I roll.
ADDENDUM: Uh, I guess some ugly names are off-limits. Don’t get me in trouble. I’m new here, and the Boss could swat me like a fly.
Recently in the Green Room:
- Real question: Does Obama’s budget fund overseas abortions to protect endangered animals?
- Photo of the day: Crimea now belongs to Russia, at least on Russian propaganda TV
- Vatican: Pope Francis wasn’t talking about same-sex relationships; Update: “Civil unions” explained
- RNC ad: Crying infant greets Obama’s new debt-laden budget
- Update: Grayson dismisses ‘erratic’ wife after abuse allegation