Green Room

Meghan, you ignorant . . .

posted at 9:53 pm on April 13, 2009 by

. . . do we really have to go there? Name-calling and flaming this ditzy 24-year-old whose only claim to fame is that her father is the RINO loser who blew the election and put Barack Obama in the White House?

Well, yes we do. Meghan McCain’s argument is not really an argument. The problem with such a pseudo-argument is that one is tempted to waste time picking it apart line by line. But that could take years and cost thousands of lives.

The pseudo-argument deserves genuine contempt. Meghan’s utter disregard for evidence and logic, her special-pleading and her bid for second-hand authenticity — “a dear friend of mine who’s both gay and Republican” — are an open invitation to ad hominem. Particularly odious is the twit’s invocation of “rock star” Ronald Reagan, as if the battle to pass Proposition 178 is somehow analogous to the current debate over same-sex marriage. It’s not.

Nor is this a valid syllogism:

• My friend is [a member of Constituency X];
  • My friend is a nice person who votes Republican;
  • Most members of Constituency X favor policy Position Y; therefore
  • If you don’t support Position Y, you’ll lose Constituency X and you’ll be terribly cruel to my friend and hurt his feelings boo hoo hoo.

Substitute random values for X and Y, and that kind of pseudo-argument could lead to strange places we don’t even want to think about going. It is an attempt to play on our emotions, to accuse opponents of unfairness and bigotry, and if Meghan wants to roll that way, she’d better be prepared to have people say rude things about her. (And I do.)

Given that this Green Room format is new, I wasn’t sure if it was permissible to develop a side-thread discussing something already being discussed on the main page. But if you want to discuss Meghan’s pseudo-argument as a matter of forensics, or if you simply want to call her ugly names, feel free to do it here. Because that’s just the way I roll.

ADDENDUM: Uh, I guess some ugly names are off-limits. Don’t get me in trouble. I’m new here, and the Boss could swat me like a fly.

Recently in the Green Room:

Comments

Let’s see…she’s a complete idiot who’s only claim to fame is her Dad. So…….let’s have another thread about/by her?

The real shame of Meghan is not her and her specious “arguments”. It’s the number of people linking to her.
How many real right wing bloggers can you think of, with perfectly valid arguments, have gotten that kind of attention?
How many potential candidates for offices have?

Rocks on April 13, 2009 at 10:04 PM

She has gay friends and so she wants them to be able to be married probably because she wants to be the maid of honor in the wedding. You know everything has to be about her so you know that is it.

deidre on April 13, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Ah, nicely put.
Allahpundit is going to be sore.

carbon_footprint on April 13, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Is she the new leader of the GOP? I thought it was Rush, then I thought it was that lady that told Chinese people to name themselves after the Brady Bunch. Now I think its the fat chick.

I wish the Democrats would hurry up and decide which horrible human being will be in charge of us stupid Republicans.

Vincenzo on April 13, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Exactly. She can’t even argue a good argument why she thinks the GOP should go gay…..seriously!! Why should anyone listen to her?

deidre on April 13, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Is she actually trying to make thoughtful arguments?

I don’t see it that way, and I wouldn’t give her that much credit. Instead, I assume she will say whatever gets her in headlines and cable news bookings.

Everything she does is about Ms. McCain.

Nessuno on April 13, 2009 at 10:14 PM

She’s all for pitching a big tent.

Is she using one of her dresses to do it?

I’m not oppossed to a big tent because I think we need it, but telling the party to abandon core values is not the way to go about it. While I don’t hold precious some of the core values of the Republican Party, I do hold several close to the heart. While others in the party advocate against abortion or gay marriage, I can let them do that even though it doesn’t get my ire up and I’m comfortable staying out of their way. Because they also advocate for fiscal responsibility, strong foriegn policy, and responsible government. Which does get my attention.

Hog Wild on April 13, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Meighan McCain got a little too used to election year fawning of a big presidential campaign. Does she know that when the election was over, her campaign opinions disappeare as fast as all the McCain campaign yard signs?

Her attention whore persona is really getting old.

portlandon on April 13, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Do we have any pics of her in a bikini? Holding a gun? I bet that would drive some traffic!

Scotsman on April 13, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Every ad hominem attack against a rich pretty blond girl will serve to keep her in the limelight.

Let her 15 minutes get past 14:59, please. The less attention she gets, the more her “reputation”, such as it is, fades away.

MadisonConservative on April 13, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Rocks, I point out the empty idiocy of Meghan’s pseudo-arguments because they are exemplary of what passes as political discourse in 2009.

For example: “We must act as if global warming were a major crisis because . . . uh, well, there’s a scientific consensus!”

That’s just argumentum verecundiam, and it doesn’t convince me. And the arguments for same-sex marriage are equally flimsy. Even if I bought the argument as good policy (and I don’t), that still doesn’t justify it as good politics (which it’s not). What you get from a lot of squishy Republicans on this issue, however, is a sort of mishmash of policy and politics arguments. You realize that, at bottom, what is at stake for them is their self-image as bien pensants.

Well, they’re entitled to their feelings, but their feelings are not an argument.

The Other McCain on April 13, 2009 at 11:13 PM

I can’t wait for her to go on Oprah and promote her new book, A Million Little Concessions.

Jim Treacher on April 13, 2009 at 11:41 PM

MadisonConservative on April 13, 2009 at 11:12 PM

I see your point, but there’s a lot of money being invested in keeping that clock from rolling over to 15:00. Meg is being primped and positioned as the new Stepford Republican by a Left that is very determined to keep its most vibrant opposition illegitimate and marginalized. If we don’t call her out on her foolishness, she’s going to be positioned as the New Young Face of the pet “opposition” the Democrats like to keep around. In another year the media will be using her as a club to beat those who are more conservative, but less glamorous, into submission – i.e. “how can you hold these heartless right-wing positions when even Meghan McCain denounces you?”

If we don’t slap her down now, the media will be summoning her out of her Pokemon ball every time they need an “enlightened, moderate” Republican to testify at the show trial for a conservative. She’s the larval stage of Kathleen Parker. In 20 years she’ll be the pet conservative at CBS News, wearing Peggy Noonan’s old pant suits and gushing over the magnificent oratorical skills of the Obama daughters as they make their “historic, transformational” White House run as sisters at the top of the Democratic Socialist ticket. Laugh Meghan off the stage now, and future generations will thank you.

Doctor Zero on April 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Doctor Zero on April 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM

I think your mistake is in thinking that even without our jeers, that she’ll last very long. Controversy sells a product better than anything, though it does shorten the shelf life, so in that I do agree with you. However, I think non-substantive arguments will only help heighten her profile. The strategy she’s using to make her points is nothing new, and has been defeated before by those with the facts at their fingertips. If she wants to turn it into a debate over how certain demographics will be alienated if we don’t give them a victory on a major issue, argue the issue, not the demographic. She’ll collapse when the stuttering goes into overdrive.

MadisonConservative on April 13, 2009 at 11:56 PM

She’s the larval stage of Kathleen Parker.

Doctor Zero on April 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Awesome.

Dude, you don’t just turn a phrase; you flip it like a pancake and pour syrup on it!

hillbillyjim on April 14, 2009 at 12:00 AM

When I think of Meghan, I think of the Damn Yankees song “15 Minutes Of Fame”. Several lines of lyrics seem to apply:

Young, rich and famous
What you want to be
You give it everything you got
But your sympathy
Been with everybody in the magazines
You know you’re spinning so fast
That you’re runing out of fantasies

No doubt you’re witness,
To a major scene.

Into the spotlight and out again
Come and get your 15
Your 15 minutes of fame

juanito on April 14, 2009 at 12:02 AM

I might add, if the GOP (or the Conservative movement that effectively puts the GOP out to pasture) actually gets a leader with balls of something other than Play-Doh, Meghan McCain will never have any endorsement outside of her last name. If she does somehow gain notoriety within the party, then the game’s over for the Republicans anyway.

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2009 at 12:05 AM

I am starting to like the green room idea after reading this post.

F15Mech on April 14, 2009 at 12:20 AM

She’s Britney to Kathleen Parker’s Madonna.

Laura on April 14, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Splendid sentences, sir! It’s important that conservatives not allow the media to tell us who our leaders are.

The Other McCain on April 14, 2009 at 2:30 AM

Her audience is mainly leftists – far to the left of her own squishy libertine views – who hope to use her to embarrass the right, with a few conservatives who ridicule her to inoculate themselves from the embarrassment.
`
She’s a young woman who is neither particularly learned nor particularly bright trading solely upon the name of her famous father to get attention.
`
To pay such people any mind is a total waste of time at best, and counterproductive at worst. Be patient: as soon as she finds a boyfriend, she’ll drop the “blogging” like it was her underpants.
`

Adjoran on April 14, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Unfortunately, I don’t think you’re right about the boyfriend. She’s been on the big stage now, and a boyfriend might not be a sufficient distraction. I suspect that we’re stuck with her for as long as the Leftwits are willing to tonguebathe her.

I doubt that she’s actually stupid, merely young, foolish, and misundereducated. Those are curable conditions last I checked. I am not suggesting kid gove treatment. She moved up to full-contact when she stepped into the ring.
However. There are ways and ways.
The “MeggyMac the ignorant slut” meme is counterproductive, stupid, unthinking, and rude. If you want the girl to dig in her heels and close her mind to anything different, go right ahead with that. Among other things, you’ll martyr her in the eyes of the leftwits, and do you really want that? I don’t.
She’s already drowning in progeressive slobber and you want to make it worse?
On the other hand, go right ahead and savage those intellectual pretensions. If she wants to play with the adults, then she can get taken apart by the adults. From a great height. Scorn and scathing sarcasm are suitable tools for dissection, fat chick jokes are not.
I’m not willing to write her off at this point. I suspect there is good metal in there somewhere, like there is in both of her parents.
“Larval Kathleen Parker” is deadly accurate, but that doesn’t mean it’s inevitable.

Dark Horse

Dark Horse on April 14, 2009 at 4:12 AM

MadisonConservative on April 13, 2009 at 11:12 PM

You sure do like telling other people what to do.

Jim Treacher on April 14, 2009 at 4:47 AM

Whew. I hope she fails.

Did I do good, Mr. Limbaugh?

Pablo on April 14, 2009 at 7:16 AM

Unfortunately the media, (currently) holds all the cards on this one. In the same way that they demonize Rush Limbaugh in order to stir up liberal rage, they stroke and promote the ghastly Ms. McCain to piss us off. There’s also the audience of “Not very bright Americans who think all news organizations by virtue of I know not what, are honest and truthful” (ha) and that Meghan McCain is a perfectly lovely and articulate young lady! My mother in law thinks she’s just adorable….

Our success at eradicating conservative “spokeschildren” begins with grassroots movements like the tea parties and blogs like this; Loud voices are the only thing that will drown out media driven propaganda. I don’t care if Meghan gets her feelings hurt or not, she needs to be aware that while we respect her right to HAVE an opinion, we don’t want to HEAR that opinion. Ever. At all.

anniekc on April 14, 2009 at 7:39 AM

You sure do like telling other people what to do.

Jim Treacher on April 14, 2009 at 4:47 AM

You sure do overdramatize comments.

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2009 at 8:01 AM

I used to check into Meghan’s blog during the U.S. election campaign. It was strangely addictive and she struck me as being a real sweetie. I was always used to wonder though, about a young person whose job was to travel around after her father with her own personal hairdresser and a father who’s biggest wish for his daughter (at least that I read) was that she get a job.

After reading this piece, I understand why.

This piece was an embarassment both to Meghan and to the editor who thought it worth publishing. And if that is the best of young America, not just young conservatives, then I might as well kiss America goodbye now.

saint on April 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Apologies for typos. I think that’s my call sign for turning in.

saint on April 14, 2009 at 10:47 AM

How many potential candidates for offices have?

That’s because she’s the darling of the left wing who will log in and give attention to anyone who is a traitor to the conservative cause.

doncow on April 14, 2009 at 12:22 PM

She has the fat ass and the name and thats about it
Not much to say really
Her ass growth is up 20 percent this year. So the recession has not hurt her much.

kangjie on April 14, 2009 at 2:31 PM

hillbillyjim on April 14, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Al in St. Lou on April 14, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Uh, putting, um, the twit in, like, Twitter.

You sure do overdramatize comments.

Gee. You sure do have a thin skin. Do yourself a favour and don’t go to Ace’s.

andycanuck on April 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM