View from the other side: A vote for Bernie is a vote for Trump!

posted at 8:01 am on February 16, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

If I switched a couple of names around in a headline I noticed this morning it could have come from any GOP establishment advocate during this election cycle. The article in question comes from Jay Michaelson at the Daily Beast who is an unapologetic Hillary Clinton supporter. (Nothing unusual there.) But there was a certain familiar ring to the warning he issues to his fellow Democrats when he says, a vote for Bernie Sanders is a vote for Donald Trump.

Dear Bernie Voter,

Unlike many Clinton supporters, I am not writing to you because I think you’re naïve, or misguided, or sexist, or dumb, or any of the other patronizing and condescending crap that Hillary voters often say. In fact, I probably agree with you on most issues. I am writing to you because I am sincerely worried that you will hand this election to the Republicans, and I want to do my best to convince you not to do so.

The point of primary elections is not to select a president; it’s to select a candidate. For that reason, “electability” is not just one among many issues: it is the central issue. Yet despite having absorbed several dozen pro-Bernie articles and videos, I have yet to hear a plausible path to victory for Bernie Sanders.

The list of reasons Jay launches into after that is really beyond question on the technical merits. In fact, it’s the same set of reasons that many conservatives have cited when crossing their fingers in the hopes that the Democrats might somehow pass over Hillary Clinton and send the Vermont senator to the big show next fall. He’s a socialist. He wants to raise taxes to a point where even Democrats will balk. His proposals are unrealistic and will never make it through a divided Congress. We’ve heard it all before and most of us on the starboard side of the political ship would likely be nodding our heads in agreement.

But isn’t this what we keep hearing from supporters of Rubio, Bush or Kasich in the GOP primary? A vote for Trump is a vote for Hillary! Despite the fact that some early polling actually showed Trump beating Clinton in a head to head match-up, it still gets repeated to this day. The argument goes that we need to stick with what’s safe and known. On our side it’s a selection from the Bush, Rubio, Kasich triad. Across the aisle, it’s Clinton… the known, familiar pattern of 20th century American politics.

And yet something has changed over the past couple of years. Trump continues to lead in the polls nationally even after he did the equivalent of setting a puppy on fire during the last debate, at least as viewed by the traditional media. And Bernie continues to rise, while still not overtaking Clinton in the national polls. Yes… something has changed. But at the same time, it’s almost refreshing to see the establishment Democrats in the same boat as the old school GOP, paddling along in the lane next to ours. So what happens to all of them if it actually winds up being a final race to the finish between Sanders and Trump?

Minds. Blown.

sanders-msnbc

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Michelle, where are you? We need you, now.

vnvet on February 16, 2016 at 8:57 AM

vnvet:

I still feel bad about my plagerizing comment, back when,
I do hope, you forgive me, I apologized back when as well,
still not sure, if you had seen it—:)

canopfor on February 16, 2016 at 9:06 AM

I’d rather run against Hillary with Trump.

Once the Sanders voters are scorned, they’ll stay home and not vote in the general (kind of like Ed, everyone at RedState and Right2Bright).

Skipity on February 16, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Call it the revenge of the bitter clingers and indoctrinated youth. They think they rule in Washington.

“For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up.”

Hosea 8:7

claudius on February 16, 2016 at 9:08 AM

“It’s [still] working” [Baby Skywalker and his pod racer].

In other news:

Try this…

Walter L. Newton on February 16, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Thanks Walter. And while I don’t want to appear too “curmudgeonous”, I plead guilty to looking, and….

…what I expected. Nothing like “this old system”, which kept the silly, fake-left-fake-right, intellectually demeaning eye candy down to a minimum, provided a written format which, at least on the part of some, helped promote a semblance of discipline, reasoned thought [or exposed the lack of it] without the semi-literate graphic hype. FB is by and large a teeny-age disaster area for serious thinking, however much one might want to wade through the garbage and on occasion, “think” they have found some.

Moreover, “likes” and “down twinkles”, etc., etc., aside from their infantile, mass-lib-like-sheep qualities [indeed, let us also wipe out that evil electoral college!!!], should be confined to reasoned, thoughtful responses.

Look at the Declaration and Constitution. “Plain” text has its own distinct, irreplaceable beauty and function.

RL on February 16, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Of COURSE it’s coming down to the Bernie and Trump show. It’s been a long time since we saw a 45+ state sweep in the general.

It’s true. I saw it on facebook. Before I got FNKNG BANNED for criticising Obama.

Think about this HArians. I’m milquetoast, and I got put on suspension by FB.

for
criticizing
Obama

erewenguy on February 16, 2016 at 9:09 AM

We wonder why the GOPe is so tone deaf to what their public wants.

And then we see HotAir abandoning their commenting platform in favor of facebook and realize it’s just more of the same.

Skipity on February 16, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Also, I don’t know if HotAir management understands this, but by moving your comments to Facebook, you will destroy your on page SEO.

Skipity on February 16, 2016 at 9:13 AM

Trump, Sanders, FaceBook.

Its Mourning in America.

billintex on February 16, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Skipity on February 16, 2016 at 9:13 AM

Why is that? Can’t they apply a show/hide comments feature? Or is there something else that you’re referring to?

Mark Boabaca on February 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Ed just emailed me to say they are definitely making the change to FB comments some time today. I presume once they get it set up….

cynccook on February 16, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Then came the Republican attack machine, painting Dukakis (in racist ways) as a soft-on-crime liberal. The election was a disaster.

For my life I can’t see how the Willy Horton ad is racist. Any time I ask a lib, they say “because it tells you that scary black people will come and get you”. Really? Because I see one criminal mentioned/shown. He’s black. So what.

Then again, only dogs can hear supposed dog whistles…

DethMetalCookieMonst on February 16, 2016 at 9:47 AM

cynccook on February 16, 2016 at 9:30 AM

cynccook: Thanks for the update, was wondering, wth was going on.

Btw, nice conversing with you, unless there is a reversal,
this will be, my last posty, God Bless CCC:)

canopfor on February 16, 2016 at 9:54 AM

Btw, nice conversing with you, unless there is a reversal,
this will be, my last posty, God Bless CCC:)

canopfor on February 16, 2016 at 9:54 AM

You too, canopfor, but you could easily make yourself a canopfor FB id and live on to fight another day. Don’t you think you owe it to Mr. Crump and all the others?

cynccook on February 16, 2016 at 10:05 AM

I still feel bad about my plagerizing comment, back when,
I do hope, you forgive me, I apologized back when as well,
still not sure, if you had seen it—:)

canopfor on February 16, 2016 at 9:06 AM

I am forever begging for fogiveness from my wife, so this is doubly appreciated, although certainly not necessary. The good news, if it be so, is that at my age I find it difficult to remember what I had for breakfast, even as I am putting away the dishes. Our discourse, hopefully, was to our mutual benefit. I know I’ve learned so much from all of the commenters that I appreciate any favor headed my way in the form of a response to my verbal meanderings. Thank you.

vnvet on February 16, 2016 at 10:27 AM

A lot of people embarrassed themselves last night and were behaving like a bunch of angry liberals who were told they couldn’t have their gay cake made.

Yes, facebook is a bad idea, but it is one that management has the right to make and it is not very conservative to whine about a business making a business decision whether we agree or not.

It went beyond disagreement – people were questioning AP and Ed’s manhoods, intelligence, etc in the most base language and generally behaving like liberals. Embarrassing.

kim roy on February 16, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Mark Boabaca on February 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Because the comments are added dynamically and are hosted on facebook (or disqus)

so for example on the national review I go and pick this article:

and take the comment (after it loads disqus):

And then I plug that into a google search with quotes and it says:

No results found for ted cruz national review “Roberts aggressively went out of his way to twist his arguments in order to give legal cover to Obamacare. I would rather take my chances with a Trump nominee and hopefully avoid another Roberts.”.

Try without quotes?

That’s because Google doesn’t recognize it as being part of the same page anymore.

Skipity on February 16, 2016 at 11:37 AM

kim roy on February 16, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Unfortunately there are always those who have to spout off, call names and act belligerently. Kind of like parents and children’s sporting events.

That being said, the facebook decision will destroy the whole notion of Hot Air and what it was. Whether or not it makes Salem more money or not, I don’t know or care. I just know that facebook is not a place for me and a significant portion of the Hot Air audience, as it was.

By the way Kim Roy I have appreciated your posts. Take care and hopefully will see you or recognize you on other conservative sites.

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 1:50 PM

Considering that many Bernie supporters would vote for Trump in the general if Hillary was the nominee, I don’t think they have a problem with that.

bingsha on February 16, 2016 at 3:26 PM