Paris attack survivor to France: Everyone should have a gun

posted at 9:21 am on February 16, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

One survivor of the ISIS terror attacks in Paris knows what would have come in handy: a firearm. The attack took place while the US band Eagles of Death Metal played the Bataclan, where scores of people died. Band member Jesse Hughes told French television that their tough gun control did nothing but leave people unarmed and vulnerable to attack:

“Did your French gun control stop a single [expletive] person from dying at the Bataclan?” Hughes said. “And if anyone can answer yes, I’d like to hear it, because I don’t think so. I think the only thing that stopped it was some of the bravest men that I’ve ever seen in my life charging head-first into the face of death with their firearms.”

Hughes, who has vigorously advocated for unfettered gun ownership — even waving a gun at a friend in a documentary that was pulled from film festivals after the Nov. 13 attacks — told iTélé that, if anything, his experience had only strengthened his views.

“I know people will disagree with me, but it just seems like God made men and women, and that night guns made them equal,” he said. “I think the only way that my mind has been changed is that maybe that until nobody has guns everybody has to have them.”

Hughes and EoDM are back in Paris for their first show since the attacks three months ago. He admits that it will be “intense,” but that he wants to persevere, lest the terrorists succeed in their mission. Even so, Hughes clearly still suffers to this day from the aftermath of the attack.

Apparently, Hughes didn’t plan on discussing gun control in the interview, but the interviewer asked and Hughes wasn’t afraid to challenge her on her assumptions. That’s nothing new for Hughes, who has been an activist for “unfettered” gun ownership, as NBC News puts it. The experience of watching defenseless people slaughtered by armed maniacs has clearly made his convictions even stronger than before, and it’s not difficult to see why. His point is even more well taken given the failures of the gun-controlling government to take effective steps to keep their citizenry safe from infiltration and attack. Under those circumstances, why should citizens accept an enforced defenselessness from a government that can’t protect them?

Comments

Compelling stuff. Pretty obviously true as well.

And Bishop?!?

Zomcon JEM on February 16, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Fight Crime – Shoot Back

Everlasting_Knowitall on February 16, 2016 at 9:27 AM

It’s about time he spoke publicly about this.

cynccook on February 16, 2016 at 9:28 AM

And Bishop?!?

Zomcon JEM on February 16, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Oh sure, it’s easy now.

kit dinker on February 16, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Good man, Jesse Hughes!!!

Long live the old HA comments system!!!

Bitter Clinger on February 16, 2016 at 9:28 AM

And Bishop?!?

Zomcon JEM on February 16, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Funny you mention Bishop. He’s busy learning French so he can guide on Cobalt Steel Lake.

Steve Eggleston on February 16, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Ed just emailed me to say they are definitely making the change to FB comments some time today. I presume once they get it set up….

cynccook on February 16, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Most bad guys are cowards. If they know for certain you will shoot back they won’t shoot in the first place. Hence the number of gun assaults that occur in “gun free zones.” Or countries.

billintex on February 16, 2016 at 9:31 AM

In Euro fashion it will all be labeled hate speech and several counties there will probably pull his visas. Nice try, Mr Hughes, but the sheep seem happy to be sheep.

Limerick on February 16, 2016 at 9:31 AM

I’m here for the Facebook singularity….?

will77jeff on February 16, 2016 at 9:32 AM

Zark Muckerberg

kingstonkoolos on February 16, 2016 at 9:33 AM

1 Justice away from losing all 2nd Amen rights.

artist on February 16, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Nothing like first hand experience of getting shot at, while you have been disarmed, to clean the libtard
cobwebs out of your brainwashed noggin

Gives you better focus on personal safety and survival and great distain for progressives and liberals that want to deny you your right to live and survive.

BigSven on February 16, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Did we get a reprieve from the powers that be at Salem ,or are we still on death row?

celtic warrior on February 16, 2016 at 9:35 AM

I’m here for the Facebook singularity….?

will77jeff on February 16, 2016 at 9:32 AM

You mean when the website collapses into a black hole?

backwoods conservative on February 16, 2016 at 9:38 AM

Anyone who isn’t a Liberal or a holophobe should have a gun.

I don’t trust Liberals with firearms…they are too emotionally unstable in general to have such a responsibility.
After all, they keep blaming the gun, not the person who pulls the trigger.
Why would we expect them to accept responsibility for their action in the case of a negligent discharge?

Not to mention many of them have called for the murder of Supreme Court Justices, Politicians and anyone that disagrees with them.

Sort of like Daesh, Liberals are. Just a different book and god. But fundamentally, just fascists.

ProfShadow on February 16, 2016 at 9:39 AM

cynccook on February 16, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Ah….so a botched execution it is. Not surprised.

ElectricPhase on February 16, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Onleee zee Gendarmes un zee kriminells are allowed zee wep-ponz!
Zee rest get zee white zurrender flaggs or zee boollit!

albill on February 16, 2016 at 9:40 AM

Will they show this in France? No.

Blake on February 16, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Ed “roseannadanna” NEVER MIND

rik on February 16, 2016 at 9:41 AM

cynccook on February 16, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Thread counts to go from “luxurious silk” to “burlap” at that point… ¬_¬

Gatsu on February 16, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Facebook commenting would bring more viewers/interacters, more commenters/viewers = more eyeballs on ads = more ad revenue for the website.

albill on February 16, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Will they show this in France? No.

Blake on February 16, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Wee

rik on February 16, 2016 at 9:42 AM

albill on February 16, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Not to mention more revenue for Suckerburg.

Bitter Clinger on February 16, 2016 at 9:44 AM

albill on February 16, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Can honestly say, on my beloved Golden’s life, I cannot tell you one thing that is advertised on this site.

rik on February 16, 2016 at 9:44 AM

rik on February 16, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Sorry, I am wrong. Forgot about all the GOPe BS

rik on February 16, 2016 at 9:45 AM

I knew i like EODM for something other than “I want you so hard”. Now if I could get confirmation that Queens of the Stone Age share the same views.

MikeInBA on February 16, 2016 at 9:46 AM

When does this Facebook thing kick in?

AmerigoChattin on February 16, 2016 at 9:49 AM

This guy is a hero:

Jesse Hughes, Eagles Of Death Metal Tell BDS And Roger Waters Where To Go, Israel July 12th

NSFW due to naughty language.

Blake on February 16, 2016 at 9:51 AM

HA going to FB is like Carrier and Ford moving to Mexico. Maybe DT can put a stop to this.

Kissmygrits on February 16, 2016 at 9:53 AM

370 shot in Chicago this year alone. Over 70 have died. Yeah, how’s that gun control working for you? It never works – just results in more death.

johnnybgood on February 16, 2016 at 9:53 AM

albill on February 16, 2016 at 9:42 AM

When Beck went full-in with FB, using it as his direct message platform, The Blaze and his original .com site lost unique visitors.

Facebook is its own ecosystem. They’re moving to it as a way to monetize at FB, not here. It also allows them to slough off the HA tribe, which they’re tired of.

Ed needs to focus on his radio gig and Allah’s HA time has diminished immensely over the years.

budfox on February 16, 2016 at 9:57 AM

johnnybgood on February 16, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Don’t let facts get in the way of the truth.

If you ban guns, they all just go away. Its like, the law man.

Just like when we banned alcohol. All the crimes and vices associated with it just vanished.

Gatsu on February 16, 2016 at 10:00 AM

albill on February 16, 2016 at 9:42 AM

My sister makes $1,200 an hour on the computer from home!
Ask me how!
Click on the link below!

kit dinker on February 16, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Remember when Jeb! thought he could win the nomination without winning over primary voters?

Hot Air will devolve into the Jeb! of conservative websites because Salem hates their base.

Valiant on February 16, 2016 at 10:02 AM

rik on February 16, 2016 at 9:44 AM

That’s a good point. AdBlocker is probably part of the equation.

FB follows you across the web so everytime you run across a FB share link, it knows you stopped at that page.

You can script-kill it via browser plugins, but it’s a manual job for each site you visit. HA alone has twenty tracker scripts embedded.

budfox on February 16, 2016 at 10:03 AM

This gun-totin’ Texan has enjoyed every read comment here at Hotair and prays all here will enjoy their move to other sites. Goodbye.

vnvet on February 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM

That’s a good point. AdBlocker is probably part of the equation.

budfox on February 16, 2016 at 10:03 AM

That’s why I use a combination of uBlock Origin, uMatrix, and NoScript. The resulting default is to not accept any script, tracker, or cross-site request unless I explicitly permit it. It’s a pain in the ass the first time I visit a site, but worth it for the added control.

ElectricPhase on February 16, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Don’t let facts get in the way of the truth.

If you ban guns, they all just go away. Its like, the law man.

Gatsu on February 16, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Yes well, never let facts get in the way of a feel good story.

Rainbows and unicorn farts all the way!

It’s how leftists believe.

And believe is the operative word. They don’t actually think.

climbnjump on February 16, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Kissmygrits on February 16, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Like he did with his clothing line?

B4B on February 16, 2016 at 10:48 AM

billintex on February 16, 2016 at 9:31 AM

Compare and contrast with the Draw Mohammed Contest in Garland, TX.

cynccook on February 16, 2016 at 9:30 AM

Ah….so a botched execution it is. Not surprised.

ElectricPhase on February 16, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Something like this?

GrumpyOldFart on February 16, 2016 at 10:50 AM

The musician is right. Gun control prevents ownership by the law abiding, and allows unfettered use by the lawless.
(COMMENT DELETED BY FACEBOOK FOR VIOLENT CONTENT)

There. See how that’s going to work?

orangemtl on February 16, 2016 at 10:50 AM

It’s more than the government “can’t” protect it it’s that it refuses to do little more than kind of pretend it’s trying.

The police are there to put up the yellow tape and the “justice” system is to maybe possibly if all the stars are aligned get some sort of conviction.

NoDonkey on February 16, 2016 at 10:57 AM

And Bishop?!?

Zomcon JEM on February 16, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Will not be coming back.

Bubba Redneck on February 16, 2016 at 10:59 AM

vnvet on February 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Amen, brother!

tomshup on February 16, 2016 at 11:17 AM

I like that.
I plan to use it.

Dexter_Alarius on February 16, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Reminds me of my favorite Bill Hicks joke. When non-Texans would ask Hicks, who was a Texan, why David Koresh (of the Branch Davidians) was so weird Hicks replied: I don’t know how to tell you this, but here’s a guy who is a frustrated rock guitarist, with a messianic complex, armed to the teeth and trying to jump everything in a skirt… It sounds like all of my friends in Austin.

BJ* on February 16, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Someone once said:
The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Simple solution and that is why it is so fervently opposed by hopplophobes.

Missilengr on February 16, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Jesse Hughes is the man and a pretty hardcore conservative and EODM are a great band for those unfamiliar with them. He has been spouting off for years and I love him for it
relevant portion from an article from way back in 2008 (NSFWish language):

Reporter: Obama.
Hughes: Communist. Or, bad idea.

Reporter: Wow. Why?
Hughes: You watch, baby. They said it wouldn’t be the truth about Bill Clinton, and it turned out to be true.

Hughes cont’d: Obama has no practical experience whatsoever in the executive [branch]. Not even from a philosophical point of view, just in terms of whether he’s going to be prepared for this job. It is going to be a sh*thouse nightmare. Dealing with the office of presidency ain’t no small walk in the park. You’re managing the entire f***ing nation with affairs in 50 independent countries.

jfkfc on February 16, 2016 at 12:56 PM

And that, my friends, is the textbook definition of “foxhole conversion”.

DimsdalePiranha on February 16, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Facebook won’t allow this kind of blog post.

Nutstuyu on February 16, 2016 at 1:17 PM

My sister makes $1,200 an hour on the computer from home!
Ask me how!
Click on the link below!

kit dinker on February 16, 2016 at 10:01 AM

I think we know.

#Incest
#AllLoveWins

Nutstuyu on February 16, 2016 at 1:19 PM

cynccook on February 16, 2016 at 9:30 AM

How long does it take to finish giving Zuckerberg a BJ?

Nutstuyu on February 16, 2016 at 1:22 PM

During the 1930s, France became more and more pacifist. France fell to the NAZIs in about 3 weeks in 1939. It took 9 months of very bloody fighting for them to become independent again. It was so much fun, they are going to do it again.

growl on February 16, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Indeed…

crosshugger on February 16, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Hi! We’re from the government. YOUR individual life isn’t worth protecting. We have more important things to do. Only the ‘elite’ deserve bodyguards.

GarandFan on February 16, 2016 at 3:57 PM

As I recall, FB uses a super cookie to track.

There are addons to monitor those super cookies and prevent any additions that you don’t want.

I have it and on a testing site they could not figure out who I was and where I’d been because the means to do so had been disabled by my addons.

there are cookie management addons that will take care of the everyday sites. And the super cookie monitor will limit any additions to prevent anyone from tracking you.

jake1246 on February 16, 2016 at 4:46 PM

That super cookie monitor is called BETTER PRIVACY.

jake1246 on February 16, 2016 at 4:48 PM

vnvet on February 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Yep, And this gun-totin Texas is right behind you.

Bye.