New Cruz ad slams Trump on potential SCOTUS nominees

posted at 12:01 pm on February 15, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

In Saturday night’s debate, Ted Cruz made it clear that he plans to attack Donald Trump head-on for South Carolina’s social-conservative voters. His new ad takes up the hottest debate in politics at the moment, Supreme Court nominations, and turns it on Trump. Can you really trust the power to nominate Supreme Court justices to a man who once described himself as “very pro-choice,” Cruz’s ad asks?

TIM RUSSERT: Would President Trump ban partial-birth abortions?

DONALD TRUMP: Well look, I’m very pro-choice.

RUSSERT: But you would not ban it?

TRUMP: No.

RUSSERT: Or ban partial birth abortions?

TRUMP: No, I am pro-choice in every respect.

How much damage will this do to Trump’s standing in South Carolina? This clip has floated around since Trump’s first flirtation in presidential politics in 2011, and he has been repeatedly pressed to explain his change of heart in the years since. Trump insists that life experiences between 1999 and 2011 changed his heart on abortion, but at the same time Trump has kept defending the nation’s largest abortion-mill chain as a group that does wonderful things for women — up to and including in Saturday’s debate. That might make undecided voters reluctant to throw in with Trump, but it hasn’t stopped that from happening so far.

As far as Trump’s supporters go, this will be an asked-and-answered issue. While they may be mainly pro-life, the issues that drive Trump supporters have little to do with social conservatism. They follow him for his hard-line rhetoric on immigration and — the extent of which is perhaps not fully appreciated — his protectionist positions on trade and the global economy. He’s talking to blue-collar, working-class Americans who found themselves displaced by globalization and are very, very angry about it. Supreme Court nominations may hold some interest to them, but it’s not driving their passions or their political support. It’s an interesting attack, but the issue of trust is more applicable to those already in the GOP who have not addressed those key blue-collar concerns effectively enough.

Comments

No comment.

besser tot als rot on February 15, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Been fun commenting here. Bring back Captain’s Quarters!

rbj on February 15, 2016 at 12:05 PM

I’d think the “Planned Parenthood does good things” comment from the last debate would be a good ad.

portlandon on February 15, 2016 at 12:05 PM

I haven’t signed up for Facebook.

The comment sections of disquis and facebook are complete trashy garbage compared to Hotair.

anotherJoe on February 15, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Its going to be very interesting to see how many anti-Trump posts Hot Air puts up today considering that fully half of us will not be returning to this site once the Facebook switch is made bright and early tomorrow.

Seems like a perfect window to get in the final digs. So, Ed, Allah, and (oh what the hell-why not) Taylor-grind your axes and get it out of your systems.

Edith Stifle on February 15, 2016 at 12:06 PM

I can’t let my customers know my views on abortion.

HugoDrax on February 15, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Walter L. Newton on February 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Is “zzz” a permittted comment under the MaceKook regime?

corona79 on February 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Cruz told us “we have to appoint Roberts ASAP” THEN LIED ABOUT IT TO OUR FACES AT THE DEBATE so he can go eff himself

EVERY SINGLE ATTACK CRUZ MAKES HE HAS HIMSELF DONE WORSE IN HIS OWN LIFE …CRUZ IS A COMPLETE SLIMY SCUMBAG POLITICIAN

dio55 on February 15, 2016 at 12:09 PM

No comment

cozmo on February 15, 2016 at 12:10 PM

My Facebookian comment:

Didja see the pictures of me having a GREAT LIFE while touring EUROPE? Huh? Didja see me? And didja see me giving that little boy of color an ice cream cone? Huh? Didja? And how happy he was and how GOOD I am? Didja see all that?

Cause there’s lots more of where that came from on my FACEBOOK page.

MaxMBJ on February 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM

No Comment.

newtopia on February 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM

ᴍʏ Fʀɪᴇɴᴅ’s ᴍᴏᴍ ᴍᴀᴋᴇs $73 ʜᴏᴜʀʟʏ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴜᴛᴇʀ . Sʜᴇ ʜᴀs ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ ᴀ ᴊᴏʙ ғᴏʀ 7 ᴍᴏɴᴛʜs ʙᴜᴛ ʟᴀsᴛ ᴍᴏɴᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ᴡᴀs $20864 ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴋɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴜᴛᴇʀ ғᴏʀ ᴀ ғᴇᴡ ʜᴏᴜʀs.

click click click!!!!

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

frost_ on February 15, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Interesting that a few years back hotair was testing a facebook commenting system, and were talking about changing the comment system. But there was so much negative reaction, and mostly regarding how the disquis and facebook are troll trash compared to the easy to read hotair comment system, so they abandoned the idea.

That was then. Now they just decree it.

anotherJoe on February 15, 2016 at 12:12 PM

How do we know that Trump will remain a consistent Conservative?

This election if FAR too important to leave to the emotional appeal of Trump.

Torcert on February 15, 2016 at 12:12 PM

“Nominate me instead, I will be great on abortions!” -Ted Cruz

Rix on February 15, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Romney “evolved” on abortion as well. I’m not defending Trump on this. But I don’t know how much it’ll hurt Trump. Maybe in SC(Newt did beat Romney there 4 years ago after all), but not in the long run.

Doughboy on February 15, 2016 at 12:13 PM

I have an opinion on this issue, but you’ll need to clear it with Mark Zuckerberg first.

Mr. D on February 15, 2016 at 12:13 PM

PolAgnostic on February 15, 2016 at 12:14 PM

dio55 on February 15, 2016 at 12:09 PM

You should do a little research on the psychological principle of projection.

Torcert on February 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Walter L. Newton on February 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM

They win, we lose!! Oh, oh, there’s a knock at my door. It’s Mark Z and his henchmen!! See you later…I hope!!

Deano1952 on February 15, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Bee on February 15, 2016 at 12:17 PM

This just makes Trump seem that much more electable for the general election. This makes him more appealing to those that think immigration is a HUGE issue and abortion is a settled argument.

blink on February 15, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Heads Trump wins, Tails Trump wins…..

What is it about Trump supporters who think that just about everything he does will make him more electable?

Would it help his chances were he to moon the audience at the next debate?

Torcert on February 15, 2016 at 12:19 PM

besser tot als rot on February 15, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Walter L. Newton on February 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM

No comment

cozmo on February 15, 2016 at 12:10 PM

No Comment.

newtopia on February 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM

PolAgnostic on February 15, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Bee on February 15, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Come on!! Tell us how you really feel!

What the hell they going to do, ban you?!

BacaDog on February 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM

No comment

Trafalgar on February 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM

What the hell they going to do, ban you?!

BacaDog on February 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM

No Comment. ;)

newtopia on February 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM

I haven’t signed up for Facebook.

anotherJoe on February 15, 2016 at 12:06 PM

I can certainly attest to Disgust being a cesspool in many cases..

You can change you screen name at any time along with your avatar and the stalking feature can be a nightmare..

Torcert on February 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM

‘The polls have spoken’: Jeb! takes harder stance on Obama’s SCOTUS nominee http://twitchy.com/2016/02/15/the-polls-have-spoken-jeb-takes-harder-stance-on-obamas-scotus-nominee/

Torcert on February 15, 2016 at 12:24 PM

No comment

tommyboy on February 15, 2016 at 12:27 PM

RE-OPEN THE GREEN ROOM, AND LEAVE IT ONLY FOR US OLD TIME REGISTERED HOTAIR POSTERS!!!

portlandon on February 15, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Immolate on February 15, 2016 at 12:30 PM

No comment

darwin on February 15, 2016 at 12:31 PM

No comment

For once, my comment is as good as everyone else’s!

TeaTrekkie on February 15, 2016 at 12:31 PM

MontanaMmmm on February 15, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Stop bullying
Love is love
Celebrate diversity

avi natan on February 15, 2016 at 12:34 PM

They both deserve participation trophies

avi natan on February 15, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Lolo on February 15, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Can I post pictures from my Yosemite vacation?

avi natan on February 15, 2016 at 12:37 PM

No comment

Daryl on February 15, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Very disappointed in you, Ed. The devout Catholics I know would welcome the change of heart. “Who are you to judge?” Do you have divine knowledge of what is in another man’s soul?

horatio on February 15, 2016 at 12:39 PM

What’s going on with the no comment thing? Is this a refusal to weigh in on Trump threads?

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on February 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM

More TRUMP LIES

Realdemocrat1 on February 15, 2016 at 12:41 PM

And again no comment.

Hey, can we hit 1000?

Walter L. Newton on February 15, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Never mind. I see. Facebook commenting? Nope.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on February 15, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on February 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Walter L. Newton on February 15, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on February 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Speaking for myself …

Protesting the planned switch to Facebook comment section.

Daryl on February 15, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Protesting move to SELFIEBOOK.

MaxMBJ on February 15, 2016 at 12:45 PM

no comment..
but would you like to know what I bought at the grocery store today?
did you know my kid made the 2nd grade honor roll?
we had 2″ of snow today…
my arthritis sure is acting up today
oooh, I just saw a cardinal on my bird feeder

crowmangler on February 15, 2016 at 12:48 PM

LOL. It’s fun to watch Trumpers come face to face with reality.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 12:51 PM

meh

DanMan on February 15, 2016 at 12:52 PM

LOL. It’s fun to watch Trumpers come face to face with reality.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 12:51 PM

You’ll love it here tomorrow.

ChicagoJewishGuy on February 15, 2016 at 12:53 PM

I lack discipline, I must comment. I will miss this place. In the unlikely event Trump becomes president I would enjoy seeing the comments of those he’s sure to betray. Trump is a deal maker, the winning view is more important than any position he appears to take now.

Coltrane on February 15, 2016 at 12:56 PM

just checking out the new facebook comment thing

jadedlady on February 15, 2016 at 12:57 PM

portlandon

Followed by a Trump ad reminding folks of how republicans have been voting to fund planned parenthood for decades, including under Reagan, Bush 1 and Bush 2.

Trust

CRUZ: I don’t want immigration reform to fail. I want immigration reform to pass. And so I would urge people of good faith on both sides of the aisle, if the objective is, to pass common-sense immigration reform, that secures the borders, that improves legal immigration and that allows those illegally to come in out of the shadows, then we should look for areas of bipartisan agreement and compromise to come together.

Trust indeed.

xblade on February 15, 2016 at 12:57 PM

56andwarmweather on February 15, 2016 at 12:59 PM

LOL. It’s fun to watch Trumpers come face to face with reality.

AYNBLAND

The reality that Republicans have been funding abortion for decades? Some of us faced that reality awhile ago. You apparently aren’t one of them…well, unless the candidate is Romney, in which case you’re fine with a candidate being pro abortion.

xblade on February 15, 2016 at 12:59 PM

[comment deleted-user banned]

– Mark Z.

fossten on February 15, 2016 at 1:00 PM

No comment but here’s a lovely picture of what I’m having for lunch.

Occams Stubble on February 15, 2016 at 1:00 PM

And Trump says he was always against the War in Iraq… But not so fast http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/trump-on-there-being-zero-proof-he-opposed-iraq-before-the-w#.utpN7yE02

Shain1611 on February 15, 2016 at 1:02 PM

How do we know that Trump will remain a consistent Conservative?

This election if FAR too important to leave to the emotional appeal of Trump.

Torcert

Yes, we should go with candidates who have already abandoned conservatism as sitting senators. I’m sure they’ll be consistent conservatives in the White House though, right?

xblade on February 15, 2016 at 1:04 PM

C’mon, who doesn’t want Judge Judy on the Supreme Court?

She makes $40M a year so she is obviously the best judge available.

Moesart on February 15, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Trump will never be POTUS, but if he was I would hope he makes his scocon fans suffer. And, how.

And, he will. Trump is a Democrat, after all.

Moesart on February 15, 2016 at 1:08 PM

I don’t do FB and if I have to become one ‘of them’ to comment at this site then … adios.

See Ya, Wouldn’t want to B Ya.

Over and Out.

Missilengr on February 15, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Nolo commente

VidOmnia on February 15, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Thanks for the past years Ed and good luck.

jnelchef on February 15, 2016 at 1:10 PM

No comment

avi natan on February 15, 2016 at 1:16 PM

And, he will. Trump is a Democrat, after all.

Moesart on February 15, 2016 at 1:08 PM

No comment

avi natan on February 15, 2016 at 1:17 PM

No Comment.

turfmann on February 15, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Thanks for asking.

lynncgb on February 15, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Trust is important.

Only two years ago trump was talking very different. Ronald Reagan was Governor first and proved himself there. Trump has only words to back up his supposed conversion.

OregonPolitician on February 15, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Torcert at 12:22pm

On disqus, you can set your comments to private. No one can stalk you. I like it because you can argue with someone on the disqus site rather than have to pop back on to Hot Air and track down a comment. The big disadvantage is that spammers are constantly appearing and clogging up threads.

cimbri on February 15, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Mark zuckerburg is a POS anti-chr!$t. No thanks……

Indiana Jim on February 15, 2016 at 1:27 PM

The most popular political “watering hole” in my neck of Soviet Pugetopolis was the local ABC affiliate, KOMO. They went from one commenting system to Facebook. Used to click several times a day and there were lots of regulars commenting back and forth. Now? I might check the weather once. As a Conservative in a Government Union job, I don’t want my tires slashed should someone see my Righty point of view on a site broadcasting my name. Tell me again why I should give an open-borders fascist more money.

Tekov Yahoser on February 15, 2016 at 1:30 PM

“I’ll accept his word that he’s changed on abortion, yet his promises do not match his word.”
rbj on February 15, 2016 at 12:05 PM

What?!?!?!?

His promise is his word and vice versa. I’m bumfuzzled (see Lewis Grizzard) when people hit Cruz, Rubio, etc for something they said – especially if what they said was a tactical maneuver in the Senate – yet ignore the many FAR LEFT statements made by Donald Trump repeatedly over more than a decade (not a decade ago, but things he has repeated and reinforced over a 10 year span).

Trump is a left wing progressive. His true colors will show if and when he is elected.

sixchickensleft on February 15, 2016 at 1:44 PM

portlandon on February 15, 2016 at 12:05 PM

I agree, the leading GOP candidate to be their presidential nominee admitting PP does a lot of good would be a good ad.

Tlaloc on February 15, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Mark zuckerburg is a POS anti-chr!$t. No thanks……

Indiana Jim on February 15, 2016 at 1:27 PM

*eyeroll*

Tlaloc on February 15, 2016 at 1:47 PM

“Tlaloc is a POS AntiChr**t. No thanks.”

—Mark Zuckerberg

orangemtl on February 15, 2016 at 1:50 PM

It’s interesting to hear the rabid support for Trump’s common sense, take no prisoner’s, GFY, belligerent attitude to the establishment and other conservatives but then Trump supporters losing their lunch because their afraid to be as vocal or accountable for their positions by posting under Facebook name here on a blog.

rgrovr on February 15, 2016 at 1:50 PM

A lot of people “evolve” on abortion and the thing that starts that evolution is usually actually being pregnant (or a spouse being pregnant) and seeing those sonograms and realizing the lefty lies that “it’s just a clump of cells” is just that — lefty lies.

Yeah, yeah, sure, you can always see sonograms if you look for them, but until you (or your spouse) are pregnant, you don’t go out of your way to find them — and prior to the internet, you really did have to go out of your way to find them, as the MSM certainly wasn’t plastering them on the nightly news or in print.

Most *normal* people, not rigid idealogues understand that.

Additionally, most *normal* people understand the difference between pap smears and birth control pills (which PP does also provide) and aborions — so they understand when Trump says “PP does good too but not as to abortion.” They also understand that Cruz is being dishonest when he misrepresents what Trump said by cutting off the “but not as to abortions” part of his PP statement.

Dancing Queen on February 15, 2016 at 2:21 PM

I was a Trump/Cruz or Cruz/Trump fan early on. However, the DUMB attacks by The Don (birther or GS loan) disappointed me. Now it’s pretty much Cruz all the way.

As far as Facebook: my FB friends know my stance on most issues, but it isn’t where we hold political discussions. That being said, while I wish that HA comment areas were better (thumbs up or down, for example), I don’t agree with the FB switch and won’t be commenting in the future. And judging by the other thread, I’ll be visiting less frequently as well as the commentators are as much of a draw as the posts.

Best of luck to all!

Sue Doenim on February 15, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Something tells me that neither Hillary nor Donald will let consistency or principle get in the way of a good deal. The issue of whether they will let the law or public interest get in the way is still open in my mind for Donald but pretty well settled with Hillary.

(Hint neither the law nor public interest supports having national secrets on an unsecured private server. — and do not tell me she did not know there were national secrets on her emails because they were unlabeled. After all the briefings Federal employees get on classified material, that excuse is like finding someone in a phone booth with a stolen elephant who claims they did not notice the elephant.)

KW64 on February 15, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Shain1611 on February 15, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Heh! It was a known issue during last years of Bill Clinton as President. Everyone was speculating that Iraq would have a capability to build WMD that could reach America. After 9/11, every American was worried of the enemies’ plans to destroy America. The buzzfeed article only proved that Trump was one of them.

On TV, Bush used the WMD as reason to bomb Iraq. Cheney, Powell and the Establishment began preaching the link between Saddam and Al-Qaida. Republican controlled Congress voted for 2002 resolution on the use of force against Saddam.

But UN inspectors didn’t find any. CIA report was also negative. It was NSA’s report based on confession of an Afghan terrorist that was used as basis. UN Inspector’s report was negative.

That began the great issue of whether the Government was lying or not which was the hot topic of 2003. Two conflicting reports. Trump was one of the first celebrities quoted to oppose the action due to inconsistencies of Bush and his ilk.

Today, Bush was no longer heard talking about WMD. The standard template is “Iraq was a major threat then!” F*ck Bush!

Idiotic article as usual by Buzzfeed.

TheAlamos on February 15, 2016 at 2:44 PM

How much damage?
Rush reports that internal polling by Bush in SC shows Cruz and Trump in a statistical dead-heat.
That much damage!

Another Drew on February 15, 2016 at 3:20 PM

How much damage?
That much damage!

Another Drew on February 15, 2016 at 3:20 PM

Hey genius — that Bush internal poll was BEFORE the debate

Doesn’t mean Trump didn’t hurt himself in the debate, but try to keep simple things like chronology straight before posting b.s.

Dancing Queen on February 15, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Blair and Bush both have apologized for the Iraq nation building fiasco. Whether Bush lied not is up to each person to decide. Trump thinks he lied, I think he lied, and everyone else can decide that on their own. The Results are the same, $2 trillion down the rathole, 4000 soldiers and marines lost and 200,000 plus on disability.

It wouldn’t be an issue if the Bushes weren’t running again. Jeb and W’s policies are identical.

cimbri on February 15, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Seems like Trump’s SCOTUS picks from the debate should be mentioned here:

During the Republican debate on Saturday night, Donald Trump floated two names as potential nominees to the U.S. Supreme Court: Judge Diane S. Sykes and Judge Bill Pryor.

Buckshot Bill on February 15, 2016 at 4:38 PM

The slaughter of innocents–this is the hill to die on my friends.

jazzuscounty on February 15, 2016 at 5:41 PM