NBC to Jeb: Isn’t your response on Scalia replacement a cop-out?

posted at 2:01 pm on February 15, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, CNN’s Dana Bash asked Jeb Bush whether the Senate should schedule hearings and a vote on Barack Obama’s choice to replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court, and Bush shrugged it off. “[G]iven his choice of Supreme Court justices in the past the Senate of the United States should not confirm someone who’s out of the mainstream,” Bush replied, but Bash wanted to know whether Bush agreed with other Republicans that any appointment should be ignored. “It’s up to Mitch McConnell. That’s really not important to me,” Bush insisted.

Today, after a number of people criticized that response, Bush attempted to clarify his position with NBC’s Savannah Guthrie. He doesn’t want anyone confirmed, Bush says, but doesn’t care what strategy is employed to get that result:

GUTHRIE: I want to make sure I understand your position on this. Senator McConnell of the Republican leadership suggests that a nominee put forward by President Obama would not get a vote. That it wouldn’t even come up in the Senate. Some of your rivals, namely, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, seem to support that approach. Where do you come down on it? Do you think a nominee of the president should come for an up or down vote in the Senate this year?

BUSH: It’s up to Mitch McConnell in the Senate. I’m not a senator. I’m not running for the United States Senate. If he’s going to take that path, I respect that completely. What shouldn’t happen is that in a election year, a president in a very divisive kind of time, should nominate someone and have it be passed. There shouldn’t be deference to the executive, is my point. Whether there’s an up or down —

GUTHRIE: Is that a cop-out, saying it’s up to Senator McConnell?

BUSH: No.

GUTHRIE: I mean, shouldn’t you take a position?

BUSH: I am taking a position. There should be – if there is an up or down vote, it should be rejected based on the history of how President Obama selects judges. If there’s no vote, that’s fine too. What I’m saying is there shouldn’t be, an Obama justice should not be appointed in an election year. Let this be an important part of the election process because there’s a lot riding on this. The Second Amendment, religious freedom and many other causes that are important for this country will be determined by this pick.

I’ve emphasized one line in this exchange for comparison to what Jeb said yesterday about Obama’s upcoming nomination:

He clearly has the power to do it, but given his choice of Supreme Court justices in the past the Senate of the United States should not confirm someone who’s out of the mainstream.

Call this the Schumer construction. In his first attempt, Bush tried to parse out a reasonable position by offering conditions that Obama would never meet, and that would allow for Republicans to justify ignoring any nomination Obama sent to the Senate on the basis of extremism. Unfortunately for Jeb, he didn’t make that clear enough, and then he topped it off by suggesting that this wasn’t serious enough to rise to a level of concern for a man running to succeed Obama in the Oval Office.

After that clearly blew up in his face, Bush has come back to emphasize his opposition to confirming any Supreme Court justices in 2016. He’s still sounds like he’s not terribly concerned about it, though, continuing to shrug it off onto Mitch McConnell, who doesn’t exactly have the trust of grassroots voters outside of Kentucky. Other Republican candidates like Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio have grasped the emotional tenor of the situation for the rank and file and are sounding the alarm, which provides an even greater contrast to Bush in this instance. If nothing else, this shows again that Bush isn’t a terribly good instinctual campaigner, and in a season of populist emotion, that’s a major handicap in both parties.

Comments

no comment

VidOmnia on February 15, 2016 at 2:01 PM

Jeb!

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:02 PM

What HA should always be remembered for, for shame

Gabriel Malor
[email protected]

Problem: GOP Trump supporters need a friendly talking to, but I can’t talk to them without sneering because they’re so fuc*ing stupid.

Ban me :)

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM

My mother made $1300 per hour working from home. Go to Hotair.com to see how.

portlandon on February 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM

On and off topic, and listen to the end. Your liberty and freedom depend on it.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:04 PM

How to destroy your thriving blog with this one easy trick!

newtopia on February 15, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Marco Rubio is so handsome and dreamy

VidOmnia on February 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM

#RIPHotAir on Twitter….

d1carter on February 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM

If nothing else, this shows again that Bush isn’t a terribly good instinctual campaigner, and in a season of populist emotion, that’s a major handicap in both parties.

Quite possibly the last time I’ll get to make the comment here: go away, Jeb!

rbj on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Bye Ed

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM

“I don’t understand all the objection to switching to FaceWall. I use FaceWall — many of my friends use FaceWall. I think we should all give it a chance — it might be the best thing to happen to conservatism, commenting via FaceWall. Maybe if more people just understood how to FaceWall — they wouldn’t reject using it.”

Jedditelol on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Of men and Jeb!s :)

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:08 PM

WAPO to Ed: No, we’re not replacing you with krauthammer when he retires…and, who are you?

newtopia on February 15, 2016 at 2:08 PM

*Insert mandated politically-correct comment here.*

MT on February 15, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Eunuch obama may appoint someone this week, proving to possess steel.

You know who you are in the opposite category.

God bless America!

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:09 PM

no comment
VidOmnia on February 15, 2016 at 2:01 PM
Jeb!
Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:02 PM
What HA should always be remembered for, for shame
Gabriel Malor
[email protected]
Ban me :)
Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM
My mother made $1300 per hour working from home. Go to Hotair.com to see how.
portlandon on February 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM
On and off topic, and listen to the end. Your liberty and freedom depend on it.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:04 PM
How to destroy your thriving blog with this one easy trick!
newtopia on February 15, 2016 at 2:04 PM
Marco Rubio is so handsome and dreamy
VidOmnia on February 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM
#RIPHotAir on Twitter….
d1carter on February 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM
Quite possibly the last time I’ll get to make the comment here: go away, Jeb!
rbj on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM
Bye Ed
Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Jedditelol on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM

STOP H8!

avi natan on February 15, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Billions of users can’t be wrong.

MT on February 15, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Billions of users can’t be wrong.

MT on February 15, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Sheeple are always right.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Honeybusher don’t give a sh!t.

aquaviva on February 15, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Who would have thought that Ed and Salem would have pulled an NRO move with it’s readers like this. Maybe HotAir can take up a web-a-thon to keep solvent?

newtopia on February 15, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Illegal immigration is an act of love

avi natan on February 15, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Jeb, flakier than the flakiest flake!

Sandybourne on February 15, 2016 at 2:12 PM

no comment
VidOmnia on February 15, 2016 at 2:01 PM
Jeb!
Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:02 PM
What HA should always be remembered for, for shame
Gabriel Malor
[email protected]
Ban me :)
Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM
My mother made $1300 per hour working from home. Go to Hotair.com to see how.
portlandon on February 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM
On and off topic, and listen to the end. Your liberty and freedom depend on it.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:04 PM
How to destroy your thriving blog with this one easy trick!
newtopia on February 15, 2016 at 2:04 PM
Marco Rubio is so handsome and dreamy
VidOmnia on February 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM
#RIPHotAir on Twitter….
d1carter on February 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM
Quite possibly the last time I’ll get to make the comment here: go away, Jeb!
rbj on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM
Bye Ed
Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Jedditelol on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM

STOP H8!

avi natan on February 15, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Jedditelol likes this.

Jedditelol on February 15, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Thank you. Your comment has been forwarded to our Progressive Reeducation Center for consideration for audit. –The Zuck

shawk on February 15, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Take ‘er easy Ed!

I hope you find some really GOOD employment in the near future. I don’t see HotGas lasting very long after today. It’s going to be mostly a wad of liberal crap. Not even liberals will want to read it unless you post glowing reviews on the latest in the communist take over of America.

Question: did HotAir decide to do this just because Trump is doing well?

(ROFL)

Andy__B on February 15, 2016 at 2:14 PM

Question: did HotAir decide to do this just because Trump is doing well?

(ROFL)

Andy__B on February 15, 2016 at 2:14 PM

There’s no point in HotGas existing. Since HotGas has been “transitioning” into a GOPe establishment mouthpiece (a position already filled by TownHall), there’s no reason to have two websites owned by Salem that have the same opinions among the payroll (commenters at HotGas be fluked).

Jedditelol on February 15, 2016 at 2:17 PM

NBC Asks Republican Candidate A Question, You’ll Never Believe What He Says Next!

Jeffrey on February 15, 2016 at 2:17 PM

No, the Senate should confirm someone who’s a strong constitutionalist, not someone who’s IN the mainstream, you dolt!

Sheesh, and some people said GWB was the stupid one.

s1im on February 15, 2016 at 2:18 PM

President Trump will appoint Judge Judy to the Supreme Court.

Judge Judy makes $40M a year being a TV Judge. So obviously she is the best Judge available.

Moesart on February 15, 2016 at 2:18 PM

It really doesn’t matter to Jeb! because we won’t have him around much longer and nowhere to comment on it if we did.

Kissmygrits on February 15, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Aw! This is the end of an era.

Thanks to all of you who were with the Hot Air team when we launched this enterprise in 2006.

I’m forever grateful to all of you original readers and longtime commenters who made this one of the best communities in the conservative blogosphere!

Michelle on February 15, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:20 PM

no comment
VidOmnia on February 15, 2016 at 2:01 PM
Jeb!
Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:02 PM
What HA should always be remembered for, for shame
Gabriel Malor
[email protected]
Ban me :)
Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM
My mother made $1300 per hour working from home. Go to Hotair.com to see how.
portlandon on February 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM
On and off topic, and listen to the end. Your liberty and freedom depend on it.
Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:04 PM
How to destroy your thriving blog with this one easy trick!
newtopia on February 15, 2016 at 2:04 PM
Marco Rubio is so handsome and dreamy
VidOmnia on February 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM
#RIPHotAir on Twitter….
d1carter on February 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM
Quite possibly the last time I’ll get to make the comment here: go away, Jeb!
rbj on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM
Bye Ed
Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Jedditelol on February 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM

STOP H8!

avi natan on February 15, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Jedditelol likes this.

Jedditelol on February 15, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Think I’ll unfriend him.

itsspideyman on February 15, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Let the record show that Ed was a strongly implied Jeb Bush-backer until it became plainly obvious that Jeb was a laughingstock and anybody openly advocating for his candidacy would, by association, become one, too.

But Ed conducted that 1-on-1 exclusive with Jeb last summer, and several times produced glad-handing “give Jeb Bush credit where it is due” type posts, while at the same time denigrating anybody against amnesty as a “nativist.”

Right Mover on February 15, 2016 at 2:22 PM

To see President Obama stark naked having sex with a dead gorilla click here.

Rix on February 15, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Are the republicans going to block the first African American woman appointed for SCOTUS?

weedisgood on February 15, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Don Willett!

tdarrington on February 15, 2016 at 2:25 PM

President Trump will appoint Judge Judy to the Supreme Court.

Moesart on February 15, 2016 at 2:18 PM

She not already on?

Smoky Bear thanks you!

avi natan on February 15, 2016 at 2:25 PM

weedisgood on February 15, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Michelle? Perfect! Then HRC can nominate O and they can be the first husband/wife (sorry for assigning genders, I didn’t mean to trigger) team on the Court!

tdarrington on February 15, 2016 at 2:29 PM

1 Like = 1000 Prayers

Type “Amen” if you think she’s beautiful.

DarthBrooks on February 15, 2016 at 2:30 PM

weedisgood on February 15, 2016 at 2:24 PM

All lives matter you fool and ‘special’ flake, incl all your other-hued idiots.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Jeb Bush’s response: Effectively ‘no comment’.

Mine? Much the same.

Goodbye, once vibrant commentary community.

orangemtl on February 15, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Jeb! and Rubio looked pale and dead in the last debate.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:35 PM

HA goes full facebook, forum barnacles lose all meaning in their lives.

Zenji on February 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM

All lives matter you fool and ‘special’ flake, incl all your other-hued idiots.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 2:33 PM

SCOTUS Expert: Loretta Lynch Is Obama’s ‘Most Likely Candidate’ to Replace Scalia

I’m not sure congressional republicans want to enter this minefield.

weedisgood on February 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM

I am ­­­­­­­­­making ­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­good ­­­­­­­­­salary ­­­­­­­­­from ­­­­­­­­­home ­­­­­­­­­$1200­­­­­­­­­-­­­­­­­­­$2500/week , ­­­­­­­­­which ­­­­­­­­­is ­­­­­­­­­amazing, ­­­­­­­­­under ­­­­­­­­­a year ago I ­­­­­­­­­was ­­­­­­­­­jobless ­­­­­­­­­in ­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­horrible ­­­­­­­­­economy. ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­thank God ­­­­­­­­­every ­­­­­­­­­day ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­was blessed ­­­­­­­­­with ­­­­­­­­­these ­­­­­­­­­instructions and ­­­­­­­­­now ­­­­­­­­­it’s ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­my ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­duty ­­­­­­­­­to pay ­­­­­­­­­it ­­­­­­­­­forward ­­­­­­­­­and share it ­­­­­­­­­with ­­­­­­­­­Everyone, ­­­­­­­­­Here is ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­started,,,,,,­­­­­­­­­

➥➥➥­­➥➥➥­­w­­­w­­­w­­­.­­­J­­­o­­­b­­­R­­­e­­­v­­­i­­­e­­­w­­­1­­­0­­­.­­­c­­­o­­­m

BobMbx on February 15, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Well, the no comment thing didn’t last long.

Looks like the powers that be called this right.

cozmo on February 15, 2016 at 2:39 PM

I’m not sure congressional republicans want to enter this minefield.

weedisgood on February 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM

…since I don’t give two sheets about what I post after today…

You’re an idiot and a racist

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 15, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Billions of users can’t be wrong.
MT on February 15, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Billions of flies eat poop. They can’t be wrong.

LegendHasIt on February 15, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Well, the no comment thing didn’t last long.

Looks like the powers that be called this right.

cozmo on February 15, 2016 at 2:39 PM

It’s all about clicks and ad revenue. It’s not like we pay to have an account here. What loyalty do they have for us? Some of us will go away, but more will fill in the void, and, as management is probably convinced, the ad revenue will go $$$$$$$$$$ CHING!

tdarrington on February 15, 2016 at 2:47 PM

no comment

koaiko on February 15, 2016 at 2:47 PM

I watched that interview yesterday and what I took then and now is that whether the Senate GOP does not hold hearings and a vote or holds hearings and votes the nominee down is up to the Senate. He does not care what tactic is used but they should not confirm an Obama nominee. I think a lot of people are trying to create an impression that is erroneous by taking Bushes’ comment outside the context of the whole segment on the matter.

KW64 on February 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM

GOP has nothing to lose – no minefield. The election winner gets the spoils.

“I won” works both ways.

Zomcon JEM on February 15, 2016 at 2:53 PM

This comment has been removed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Zuck

Turtle317 on February 15, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Not only does McConnell have the trust of the grassroots outside of Kentucky, he doesn’t have the cajones to pull off a delay.

jake49 on February 15, 2016 at 3:36 PM

If the party has moved right, doesn’t that also move the mainstream?

petunia on February 15, 2016 at 3:57 PM

I’m not sure congressional republicans want to enter this minefield.

weedisgood on February 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM

He would nominate someone who should be in the process of indictmenting?

Oh wow.

petunia on February 15, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Okay well that didn’t make sense…

Lynch should be indicting Hillary.

That is a tangled web.

petunia on February 15, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Jeffrey on February 15, 2016 at 2:17 PM

The more accurate would beNBC asks Republican candidate 8 questions. number 6 is my favorite

Guest1.1 on February 15, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Ed and company got their arms twisted to go the FB route for comments. Nice to see you stand your ground. I wasn’t here that long, but I really enjoyed they set up. Have fun with all the liberal rolls who wash out any semblance of conservative leanings that may still exist after the “update”. I won’t be here. I will miss the people and the rants.

Patriot Vet on February 15, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Marco Rubio is so handsome and dreamy

VidOmnia on February 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM

And foamy! Want to host foam parties of your own? Check out facebook now! Operators are standing by, with no comment. 9.95 per minute. 3 min minimum charge.

oryguncon on February 15, 2016 at 6:48 PM