More Trump: I’ll sue Cruz over his eligibility if he doesn’t take down his false ads ASAP — and I want the RNC to intervene

posted at 4:41 pm on February 15, 2016 by Allahpundit

He said the same thing last week about suing Cruz if he doesn’t play nice, which is a weirdly conditional approach to the idea of someone whom you think is constitutionally ineligible becoming president. But we’ve been over that. Read this post if you missed it on Friday. What I want to know is what he means when he says the RNC should “intervene.” Intervene in what?

Ted Cruz is a totally unstable individual. He is the single biggest liar I’ve ever come across, in politics or otherwise, and I have seen some of the best of them. His statements are totally untrue and completely outrageous. It is hard to believe a person who proclaims to be a Christian could be so dishonest and lie so much…

One of the ways I can fight back is to bring a lawsuit against him relative to the fact that he was born in Canada and therefore cannot be President. If he doesn’t take down his false ads and retract his lies, I will do so immediately. Additionally, the RNC should intervene and if they don’t they are in default of their pledge to me.

I am the strongest on the borders and I will build a wall, and it will be a real wall. I am strongest on illegal immigration, strongest on ISIS, strongest on the military and I will take care of our Vets. I will end common core and preserve the second amendment. I will renegotiate our trade deals and bring our jobs back to our country. I am the only person who will Make America Great Again.

Read the full statement for a list of Cruz’s alleged lies about him. When he says “intervene,” does he mean the RNC should intervene to get Cruz to pull his ads? Or does he mean they should intervene in his lawsuit against Cruz, i.e. that the GOP should take it upon itself to find out in court if one of its top contenders is legally eligible for the presidency? And why, for the second time today, did he mention the RNC supposedly having broken its pledge? It sure does seem suddenly like Trump is eager to make the case that he’s no longer bound by his promise not to run third-party.

John Ziegler offers a theory on that:

Good point. Trump’s image depends on him being seen as the consummate winner; if he loses to Cruz, he’ll need to explain how that possibly could have happened. The only tolerable excuse is that he was cheated — Cruz is ineligible, Cruz is lying about his record, Cruz gamed the vote in Iowa with dirty tricks, and so on. Maybe Trump’s even reached the point where, if it’s too late to go third-party, he can at least advise his supporters to stay home in November rather than support dirty cheater Ted Cruz as nominee. I remember Trump (or maybe one of his advisors) saying somewhere many months ago, maybe as earlier as last summer, that if he was destined to lose the nomination, he was going to take Jeb Bush down with him. The same logic may apply now to Cruz. That’s a bad deal for Trumpism in that Trump will have more leverage over the nominee if his endorsement is in play than if he’s rejected the GOP, but maybe Trump’s ego is now sufficiently bruised that revenge is the only option.

Speaking of which, D. Hawkins asks a good question. What ever happened to Cruz’s strategy of making nice with Trump in hopes of becoming his voters’ second choice? That strategy seems to have “failed” now that Trump’s calling him, ahem, “the single biggest liar I’ve ever come across.” My pal Karl points to this National Review piece from earlier this month explaining what went wrong:

Cruz felt confident that while the front-runner was energizing base voters, he wouldn’t ultimately win them over. So he stayed in Trump’s wake, banking on what he told allies would be a “natural transition” to his camp once conservatives determined that they liked Trump’s message but not the messenger.

There was another strategic reason that Cruz spent the first six months of Trump’s candidacy refusing to attack him: He was certain Bush would do it for him. Cruz and his team had long been convinced that because Bush needed to win New Hampshire — where Trump polls the strongest and where he is best organized — the former Florida governor would “go nuclear” on the billionaire real-estate mogul with the help of his super PAC’s $100 million war chest. In turn, Cruz’s team predicted, Trump would “go nuclear” on Bush, damaging both an anti-establishment threat and the man whom Cruz’s camp once projected to emerge from the establishment lane as his chief rival for the nomination.

Bush and his Super PAC Death Star would eventually blow Trump up, Cruz thought, at which point the millions of Trump fans out there would instantly become Cruz fans. But it never happened: Although Jeb began attacking Trump, his PAC focused on tearing down Rubio. “Trump is, frankly, other people’s problem,” Super PAC chief Mike Murphy famously told WaPo back in August. As the months dragged on and Iowa crept closer, Cruz eventually had no choice but to do it himself. His new strategy, as described by Ben Shapiro, is based on separating himself from Trump in terms of their conservative bona fides after having spent months hugging Trump to prove their shared disdain for the establishment. The problem is, the nastier this gets, the less Trump fans may be willing to embrace Cruz notwithstanding the fact that he and Trump are the “outsider” candidates. Can Cruz win the nomination if he’s anathema to establishmentarians and to not-very-conservative populists?

Comments

but but but…. Berlin wall with a huge beautiful door!

AprilApple on February 16, 2016 at 7:36 AM

What happened to Facebook?

ArthurMachado on February 16, 2016 at 8:12 AM

Facebook went out of business. Go home, everyone!

mrsam on February 16, 2016 at 8:35 AM

Not the attitude of a “winner”

Ukiah on February 16, 2016 at 8:59 AM

ECHO… echo…. echo….

TMOverbeck on February 16, 2016 at 9:21 AM

Very disappointed in Rubio. His record is what it is, insulting Cruz won’t change it. Is he trying to act like Trump no? Sad.

TallDave on February 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM

Odd

Constitutionalist on February 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM

I have said all along that Trump is narcissistically megalomaniac that is only concerned about himself. I knew from the beginning that if it looked like he was starting to lose, he would start complaining. He did it in Iowa. My spouse, who is not really political at all noticed it as well and mentioned this weekend that Trump will cause a lot of issues for the GOP if he is not the nominee. He wants to play the game by his rules, and if he can’t, he’ll say the rules are wrong and take his ball and start a new game. As my spouse put it, he is a petulant child, just like obama. But the saddest thing about it, there are alot of lemmings that will follow him and try to cause havoc with GOP.

ConservativePartyNow on February 16, 2016 at 9:55 AM

It’s time for the RNC to tell Trump to take a hike. Threats be damned, he is an embarrassment to the party and the other candidates. No one should have to endure this constant barrage of vitriol and vulgarity Trump puts out!

Boats48 on February 16, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Trumper-tantrum

billsheck on February 16, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Boats48 on February 16, 2016 at 9:59 AM

The RNC is limited in what they can do against Trump, and Trump knows it. If they tried to somehow limit Trump’s ability to function within the party, there would be a shitstorm of unprecedented proportion.

gryphon202 on February 16, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Sadly, it looks like Hillary might be inevitable.

I find it odd how some on this site believe that Cruz has decent chance on winning the general election. The man rubs the moderates, and even some conservatives the wrong way. The same can be said about Trump, but at least he energized people by his straight talk, which Cruz has not.

V-rod on February 16, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Thomas Sowell has ‘endorsed’ Ted Cruz:

Pork-Chop on February 16, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Boats48 on February 16, 2016 at 9:59 AM

BUT HE FIGHTS or something

Good Lt on February 16, 2016 at 10:37 AM

If I were the Dims and wanted to throw the Republican electoral process into complete disarray to clear the field for a Dem successor to Obama, I couldn’t have done it any better than to put Trump into the Republican mix.

shaloma on February 16, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Trump should be careful he doesn’t a reputation for bullying crybabyism. I support much of what he advocates, but all this ad hominem leaves a bad taste that transcends political differences.

Limpet6 on February 16, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Limpet6 on February 16, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Oh, do tell me what it is you think he advocates.

Constitutionalist on February 16, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Trump is a bombastic real estate developer who has parlayed his real estate success into various egocentric business models. He is astute at spotting trends. He spotted the immigration backlash and he has used that to gin up the unsuspecting.

People equating his business success with some sort of conservative political savvy are not truly examining his past and now current statements and actions.

Now that he is letting the mask slip, many Trump supporters are going to continue to rail that he is the messiah of immigration reform, knowing full well he is not who they wanted him to be. Will that pride take them all the way through the voting booth?

One last thing, because many of us attempt to point out the fallacies and errors of Trump, doesn’t mean we are haters or neanderthals. It simply means we disagree and are making our points known.

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 11:37 AM

V-rod on February 16, 2016 at 10:27 AM

You may be correct about Cruz, but who do you propose and why?

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Thank you.

dpduq on February 16, 2016 at 11:40 AM

You may be correct about Cruz, but who do you propose and why?

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM

I’d “settle” with Kasich, but he is unlikely to grab the nomination, so it looks like Hillary will win it all.

Part of me wants to vote Trump, but he is too erratic and untrustworthy.

V-rod on February 16, 2016 at 11:45 AM

dpduq on February 16, 2016 at 11:40 AM

You’re welcome.

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 11:51 AM

V-rod on February 16, 2016 at 11:45 AM

I support Cruz. He is not perfect, no one is, however he comes closest to representing and fighting for conservative ideals, such as Constitution originalism, smaller government, state rights and true religious freedom.

Kasich to me, seems far to enthralled with the government is the solution mindset. Nearly everything he says talks about how setting up or revising a government entity will solve the problem. In short, he sounds like a conservative democrat from the 1960s.

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Sadly, it looks like Hillary might be inevitable.

V-rod on February 16, 2016 at 10:27 AM

“Hillary might be inevitable?”
“Straight talk?”

Laughable.

Eric in Hollywood on February 16, 2016 at 12:06 PM

What happened to Facebook?

Think about this guys. As I see it Cruz is not natural born. He seems to be depending on an 18 month loophole in 1790. What happens when Cruz beats Hillary? Goes to SCOTUS. SCOTUS is left wing. Who do the Wise Latina and co vote for? Cruz has no chance of getting past SCOTUS.

Pure genius on Trump’s part. Now Cruz has to apologise for lying or defend his natural born status. The dirty tricks he has been playing are totally disgusting.

Also do conservatives really think having a possible ex Indonesian citizen as POTUS has been such a good idea? The natural born clause is there for a reason. By all means amend the constitution, but isn’t it a bit much for Cruz to claim to be a constitutionalist while refusing to discuss his being eligible? And he’s relying on a loophole. Don’t the Republican voters let alone the American ones even get to discuss that?

For what it’s worth I think the loyalty clauses should be maintained. In Britain we have a candidate for PM who refused to visit the Queen to become part of her inner counsel. He also immediately takes the part of anyone who hates Britain. Well duh. In France we had a Justice minister who refused to sing the national anthem at a remembrance for the 151 victims of the Paris attacks. Would you trust her with your life and liberty? In peace times these are small things. In the dire straits we find ourselves now with our donor class in open cahoots with 5th columnists who hate us and want to rape us then kill us, and they still can’t make an effort to stow their precious egos well that for me says a lot. Corbyn is a Stalinist. Taubira is a stupid narcissist. I want neither anywhere near any government which has power over me.

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 12:21 PM

I think Trump is already preparing the battle space for the general election. He plans to grab as much of a percentage of the black, latino, and disaffected Democrat voter group as he can. The “Bush lied” is to have a sound bite on record to be able to point to when the dems try to claim that he is Bush deja vu.

SunSword on February 16, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 12:21 PM

I think you said, you hate Cruz, because you believe he is a foreigner and you love Trump because he hates foreigners. Does that about sum it up?

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 12:28 PM

shaloma on February 16, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Maybe that’s what happened.

Donald Trump and Bill Clinton Chatted by Phone Before Trump Announced Candidacy

The conversation was initiated at Mr. Trump’s request, according to one person briefed on the call, who said the real-estate developer tried Mr. Clinton’s office a few times before the former president returned the call.

According to the Washington Post account, some people privy to the call described Mr. Clinton, who is often typically solicitous of whomever he is speaking to, as suggesting to the candidate-to-be that he was “striking a chord” with the Republican base.

LashRambo on February 16, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Still on?

msupertas on February 16, 2016 at 12:47 PM

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 12:28 PM

With all due respect, that is a very stupid remark.

Where did I say I hated non natural born US citizens?

In the US constitution there is a loyalty clause. It is precisely because I am a foreigner that I know loyalties are split. If push comes to shove I am a Brit, I have lived in France most of my life, yet, I would probably chose the UK over France. I love France, but culture runs deep. The point is I just don’t know. and if you had to vote for me, you wouldn’t know either. And wouldn’t it put you off if I refused to talk about it?

And if Cruz were upfront he would be addressing this. He knows as well as I do that when you are bi cultural, or tri as he is that it creates loyalty issues.

Also pretending he’s a rigid constitutionalist is a bit rich isn’t it? He knows perfectly well his candidacy is violating the letter and the thinking behind the loyalty clause of the constitution. He’s relying on a 1790 loophole.

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 12:28 PM

But I’m guessing you don’t know what a natural born citizen is.

Jus Soli, a natural born citizen is one born in the US. Cruz is a citizen by birth and the law is that these two types of citizens are exactly the same except only the natural born is eligible for POTUS

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 12:48 PM

You lost me at I am Brit living in France.

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Thomas Sowell has ‘endorsed’ Ted Cruz:

Pork-Chop on February 16, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Sowell is a man I hold in the highest regard. He’s calling Cruz the best of sub-optimal choices. This has been my view since my earlier favorites dropped out — glad to know I’m in such esteemed company.

Senator Ted Cruz has been criticized in this column before, and will undoubtedly be criticized here again. But we can only make our choices among those actually available, and Senator Cruz is the one who comes to mind when depth and steadfastness come to mind.

LilyBart on February 16, 2016 at 1:02 PM

So Trump is going to “Make America Great Again!” by allowing someone he says is the biggest liar he’s ever met and who is undoubtedly foreign born and constitutionally unfit for office(supposedly) to stay in the race as long as he stops being mean to the Donald?

You go Alpha dog!

Yes, yes, I know but Cruz doesn’t have any friends in the Senate and Rubio is an amnesty shill and Bush is low energy and Carson who is now a wonderful guy used to be akin to a child molester. Never defense of Trump’s crazy inconsistencies, always pointing fingers at others’ supposed issues. You either buy Trump’s line of BS unconditionally or your a RINO traitor to the real America. Sorry not buying it but thanks for playing!

jnelchef on February 16, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Cruz is not even close to being a Natural Born American unless the term as been water-down to the point of being utterly meaningless. And to top it all off, he was even a Canadian citizen up to only about a year and a half ago. And he pretends to be a Constitutionalism, just as he lies like a Clinton on crack and pretends to be a Christian.

VorDaj on February 15, 2016 at 5:11 PM

This. From what I understand, since the US doesn’t accept dual citizenship, the moment you take a foreign passport you lose your citizenship. Remember the Tea Partier who took a Swiss passport and immediately lost her natural born status? You can then take back your citizenship, but you become naturalised. I think your right. No way would Cruz pass SCOTUS.

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 12:48 PM

You lost me at I am Brit living in France.

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Well that rather proves that it’s not only your remarks that are stupid.

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Well that rather proves that it’s not only your remarks that are stupid.

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Well that just hurts! Nice argument tactic.

Why would I discuss something with you that you are no part of?

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 1:34 PM

He’s a carnival barker, a used slogan salesman, with an orange comb-over, a bully’s false bravado, and very thin skin. Yes, his temperament is toxic and he tiptoes too often on the edge of mental instability. But, more than that, he doesn’t have the background, experience, or the brains to lead a nation; at least not this one.

IndieDogg on February 15, 2016 at 5:24 PM

That sums it up. The males who are pushing for Trump are betas in desperate search of an alpha. Sad.

Misha on February 16, 2016 at 1:45 PM

Because you might learn some new information?

And you are willing to elect a foreign born citizen to POTUS, yet you can’t discuss the issues with a foreigner? What you’re saying doesn’t even make sense.

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 1:49 PM

What you’re saying doesn’t even make sense.

Esperanza on February 16, 2016 at 1:49 PM

It makes perfect sense. You can’t vote, so there is nothing to discuss with you.

Neitherleftorright on February 16, 2016 at 1:54 PM