posted at 5:21 pm on February 15, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

When I saw the headline from an interview on ABC News this morning, I’ll confess that I did a double take. Lindsey Graham to ‘Re-Evaluate’ Supporting Donald Trump If Nominated.

My initial response was to think, Wait a minute. Graham might support Trump? But as it turns out, it’s just the opposite. If Trump is the eventual nominee (as more and more establishment personalities are coming around to considering as at least a possibility) it seems that Graham was previously willing to support him. But after Saturday night’s debate, the Senator may be ready to defect.

A prominent U.S. senator from South Carolina said this morning he needs to “re-evaluate” whether he would support Donald Trump as the GOP presidential nominee after comments the real estate mogul made about George W. Bush’s actions in connection to the 9/11 terror attacks.

“I’ve got to really re-evaluate that after what he said about George W. Bush,” he said. “There’s just the kooky people in the world; the mainstream Democratic party opposition to Bush did not go where Donald Trump went,” Sen. Lindsey Graham told “Good Morning America” today.

Graham, who has previously said he will supported whoever is nominated, said today he will “have to sit down and think about what it means to have somebody running as the nominee of the Republican Party to accuse the past president of willfully lying about the facts and circumstances of Iraq, and being responsible for 9/11.”

“That’s something that really only comes from the kook part of America,” he added.

You can watch the video of the interview at the link just to keep things in context. (Was going to embed it here, but it’s autoplay.)

I had to go Google Graham’s previous comments, but the story is accurate. Lindsey has said in the past that he would support the eventual nominee, even if it was Donald Trump. (Of course, that was always couched with follow-up comments about how that wasn’t going to happen, Trump isn’t a serious candidate, yada yada yada.) But now he’s at least implying that he’ll run off the ranch entirely if the unwashed masses continue down the warpath against the establishment and actually send The Donald to Cleveland with enough delegates to win on the first round. (And he’ll need every last one of them to avoid any last minute hijinks.)

I’m not buying it, though, and I’ll tell you why. This isn’t the first rodeo for most of us observing this election, and while the temperatures may be running a bit hotter than usual, they follow a similar pattern every time. In fact, I’ve seen the same pattern play out here among our readers. During the heat of the campaign, people pick out their own favorites and defend them vigorously, as they should. Sometimes it gets to the point where old friends become enemies and harsh words are spoken. Pledges are made that votes will never be cast in favor of Candidate X if Candidate Y fails to secure the nomination. But in the end, when it comes time to get ready for the general election, old friendships generally win over and hurt feelings from past arguments are put aside. I lost count of the number of people who said they would never vote for Romney last time, and there’s a fair chance that a number of them stayed home and didn’t. But those arguing about it slowly got around to shaking hands and being friends again, realizing that the common enemy was a greater threat than the skirmish of the day.

Perhaps Lindsey Graham really won’t endorse Trump if he gets the nomination. But in the quiet of the voting booth I’m betting he’ll still pull the lever. And when the dust settles he won’t be running off to join the Democrats after all these years.

LindsayGraham

Comments

I could never in good conscious vote for Trump under any circumstance.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Note from Hot Air management: This section is for comments from Hot Air’s community of registered readers.

…not anymore it isn’t…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM

I could never in good conscious vote for Trump under any circumstance.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM

…it’s “conscience”…I don’t believe you’re “conscious”…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 15, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Das hotair ist kaput…dassen Facebook uber alles. Der postklucken mach frei

jaywemm on February 15, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Oh noes, Trump is done for now.

HumpBot Salvation on February 15, 2016 at 5:26 PM

In fact, I’ve seen the same pattern play out here among our readers.

Not anymore you won’t.

rbj on February 15, 2016 at 5:28 PM

Lindsey Graham…

… King Maker!!!

Seven Percent Solution on February 15, 2016 at 5:29 PM

We will see then Lindsay.

jake49 on February 15, 2016 at 5:30 PM

I care about as much about what a passing pigeon thinks as I do about what Miss Lindseed Gramnesty thinks.

VorDaj on February 15, 2016 at 5:30 PM

If Miss Graham won’t back the GOP nominee that is just an endorsement of either Clinton or Sanders, is that what we really want? A Clinton or Sanders presidency will destroy the country. So long HA, it was nice while it lasted, have fun with FB.

major dad on February 15, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Hot Air,

Your comment section is what made this site unique and enjoyable.

I sincerely would like to thank and say goodbye to all the wonderful Hot Air commenters.

Be well, all the best,

Mike Brooks

mjbrooks3 on February 15, 2016 at 9:07 AM

Make Comment Blogs Great Again

mjbrooks3 on February 15, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Try this easy trick to get whiter teeth in just 5 days.

Magicjava on February 15, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Hot Air,

Your comment section is what made this site unique and enjoyable.

Be well, all the best,

Mike Brooks

mjbrooks3 on February 15, 2016 at 9:07 AM

Make Comment Blogs Great Again

mjbrooks3 on February 15, 2016 at 5:31 PM

ridding this site of Trumpers is worth the change.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Ya das ist richtig. Ich bin Fraulein Hilda. Du sprichst deuch. Finden meinem postlucken onem facebook, vielleicht?

jaywemm on February 15, 2016 at 5:34 PM

ridding this site of Trumpers is worth the change.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Your tears… They taste so sweet.

Magicjava on February 15, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Das hotair ist kaput…dassen Facebook uber alles. Der postklucken mach frei

jaywemm on February 15, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Hah! er

Nein commenten.

oryguncon on February 15, 2016 at 5:35 PM

I could never in good conscious vote for Trump under any circumstance.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM

If you want to elect Hillary then that’s on you. LOL

It’s so awesome to finally get to say that.

DFCtomm on February 15, 2016 at 5:36 PM

DOESN’T SUPPORT FREEDOM OF SPEECH

ridding this site of Trumpers is worth the change.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM

…why don’t you just admit you’re Left-Tarded and be done with it already Mr “Conscious”…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Here are the most iconic posts of all time. Number 19 will make you gasp!

RblDiver on February 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM

I would never vote for Trump. That would be as bad as voting for Hillary.

mattmillburn on February 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM

ridding this site of Trumpers is worth the change.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM

So what’s the plan for the primaries, since you seem to have about as much luck convincing voters as you do with other commenters.

DFCtomm on February 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM

behind the scenes graham is on his knees begging Trump for a spot on his campaign.

renalin on February 15, 2016 at 5:39 PM

I would never vote for Trump. That would be as bad as voting for Hillary.

mattmillburn on February 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM

That’s certainly the position I should have taken regarding McCain and Romney.

DFCtomm on February 15, 2016 at 5:39 PM

mattmillburn on February 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM

go ahead and vote for hillary then.

Trump 2016…its inevitable

renalin on February 15, 2016 at 5:40 PM

idk if graham is serious about not voting for trump if he’s nominee… but i know i am.

Sachiko on February 15, 2016 at 5:41 PM

ridding this site of Trumpers is worth the change.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Be sure to put your “handle” with the new facebook posting platform you’re so excited about.

celt on February 15, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Lindsey Graham…

Flaming Queerdo Queen who is jealous of The Donald’s hair and money.

Bubba Redneck on February 15, 2016 at 5:44 PM

If no one else comes out of the woodwork and Donald gets nominated, I’ll still probably vote for him, because Hillary is a crook, Bernie is a crank and Biden is downright creepy. But if some halfway decent “dark horse” steps forward at an open convention, it’ll be yuuge.

They don’t make ’em like this guy any more, though.

Just sad.

Seth Halpern on February 15, 2016 at 5:45 PM

I could never in good conscious vote for Trump under any circumstance.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Spoken like a true Hillary supporter.

rich801 on February 15, 2016 at 5:46 PM

…more from the vault…

this shows that hillary can be just as ‘regular’ as any of us
nonpartisan on April 13, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 15, 2016 at 5:46 PM

… realizing that the common enemy was a greater threat than the skirmish of the day.

Trump, with nuclear launch codes, would be a greater threat than Hillary or Bern.

If Trump is the nominee, we all lose.

coolway on February 15, 2016 at 5:46 PM

lindsey is a pussie

Bubba Redneck on February 15, 2016 at 5:46 PM

renalin on February 15, 2016 at 5:39 PM

…does Trump have “Make America Great Again” knee-pads..???

…will Lindsey spit or swallow..??

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 15, 2016 at 5:49 PM

“Check Out This Amazing Cream Used by Senator Lindsey Graham for Butthurt!”

Somehow it’s only fitting that HotGas would go all establishment Facebook on us.
Maybe they can get Jeb Bush and John Kasich to endorse the change.

orangemtl on February 15, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Who cares?

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 5:51 PM

“Check Out This Amazing Cream Used by Senator Lindsey Graham for Butthurt!”

orangemtl on February 15, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Why didn’t someone start that bit 8 years ago?

DFCtomm on February 15, 2016 at 5:51 PM

I could never in good conscious vote for Trump under any circumstance.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Any legal American should vote their conscience. The rest is all bullchit.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM

But now he’s at least implying that he’ll run off the ranch entirely if the unwashed masses continue down the warpath against the establishment and actually send The Donald to Cleveland with enough delegates to win on the first round.(And he’ll need every last one of them to avoid any last minute hijinks.)

…but Trump is the Liberal anti-American and whines like a little baby…GOT IT…!!

…the hypocrisy is sooooo thick I’ll need a machete…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM

I predict the HA change will not kill Trump.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 5:53 PM

I could never in good conscious vote for Trump under any circumstance.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Once your real identity is known, then we will know where you work and where you live. Then we can send you some of those great Trump steaks from the Sharper Image.

Then you will say, shit, this facebook thing was not a good idea.

HugoDrax on February 15, 2016 at 5:53 PM

…it’s “conscience”…I don’t believe you’re “conscious”…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 15, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Why you’ll be missed :)

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 5:53 PM

ridding this site of Trumpers is worth the change.

AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM

celt on February 15, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Yep, Facebook expressly -forbids- anonymous accounts and false personal info in their TOS.

ebrown2 on February 15, 2016 at 5:53 PM

“Lindsey Graham to “re-evaluate” his support for Donald Trump if he’s the nominee”
—WORTH REPEATING: Never, ever trust a GOPe-RINO !

MicahStone on February 15, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 15, 2016 at 5:25 PM

http://www.hotgas.net – Constantine’s place

http://sketchbook.ercles.com/stuff/2016/02/15-1245-hot-air.html – Axe’s place

fossten on February 15, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Magicjava on February 15, 2016 at 5:32 PM

http://www.hotgas.net – Constantine’s place

http://sketchbook.ercles.com/stuff/2016/02/15-1245-hot-air.html – Axe’s place

fossten on February 15, 2016 at 5:58 PM

That rascally Donald Trump would never get an invite to Lindsey’s cotillion!

Deafdog on February 15, 2016 at 5:59 PM

No comment, hope all the TDS victims enjoy frolicking in the smouldering remains.

ChicagoJewishGuy on February 15, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Miss Lindsey got 17 facebook likes for this comment.

antipc on February 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM

fossten on February 15, 2016 at 5:57 PM

…thanks fossten…my Disqus account took a beating at Politico some time ago…have to re-up…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 15, 2016 at 6:05 PM

No Comment.

CT96 on February 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM

ChicagoJewishGuy on February 15, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Won’t help them any.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 6:08 PM

So miss Lindsey can finally marry thanks to those who think like Trump on same sex marriage, but he won’t support him? Shave the beard Lindsey.

And are we really going to facebook? I sure as hell never read this site for the center left writers. The comment section was my only reason for visiting. Goodbye Hotair. Hope you enjoy advertising Gold bond medicated powder.

Exninja on February 15, 2016 at 6:11 PM

For Ms. Lindsey

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 6:14 PM

I could never in good conscious vote for Trump under any circumstance.
AYNBLAND on February 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Same. But if the choice comes down to a sh** sandwich and a turd taco who committed multiple felonies, I’ll gladly swallow the sh** sandwich.

jawkneemusic on February 15, 2016 at 6:15 PM

…phuque Disqus…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 15, 2016 at 6:16 PM

go ahead and vote for hillary then.

Trump 2016…its inevitable

renalin on February 15, 2016 at 5:40 PM

Or I’ll vote for neither of them. Voting the lesser of two evils has its limits.

mattmillburn on February 15, 2016 at 6:17 PM

Trump has made life very gloomy for neocons. They were getting ready for another big push.

cimbri on February 15, 2016 at 6:18 PM

miss goober has it backwards. nobody is voting for HIM. that is why he got no support, not even in his own state.

besides, goober belongs at the border, handing out teddy bears to 35 year old “dreamers”

Senator Philip Bluster on February 15, 2016 at 6:28 PM

I’m not a fan of the F A G from SC! It wouldn’t matter to me if he liked Trump, I would never like him. I am surprised SC does.

Nat George on February 15, 2016 at 6:35 PM

We now get a glimpse of the remnant commentariat at Hot Air after tomorrow.

Mission accomplished Salem Media.

Valiant on February 15, 2016 at 6:35 PM

We now get a glimpse of the remnant commentariat

I think everyone is still hanging out in the comment change thread.

Jazz Shaw on February 15, 2016 at 6:38 PM

He never supported Trump(PBUH). During the debate the camera caught him almost orgasmic in applauding Rubio.

Mimzey on February 15, 2016 at 6:42 PM

I would never vote for Trump. That would be as bad as voting for Hillary.

mattmillburn on February 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Really? Tell me about the wall Hillary is going to build? And I’m assuming she will suspend the import of Muslim Terrorist from Syria?

Alabama Infidel on February 15, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Mimzey on February 15, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Why is it the only candidate who will stop Islamists from coming in, gets the PBUH treatment. A meme should have some basis or connection with a candidate’s policies; such as the jokes about Cruz’s hyper-christianity, etc.

cimbri on February 15, 2016 at 6:50 PM

No comment

Rode Werk on February 15, 2016 at 6:51 PM

I, too, am sorry to see the change. I will not post to Facebook and thereby tacitly support its owner, who I can’t stand. So I am afraid I will have to say goodbye.

I know I didn’t post very often, and very few noticed me at all, but I still enjoyed the discussions. I’ll be around, but I will be lurking from now on.

hachiban on February 15, 2016 at 6:53 PM

It doesn’t matter whether Lindsey Graham or any other public official supports Trump. What matters is whether general election voters will, and the answer is no.

Trump’s seems to have a pretty solid base of support within the R party, about 35% or so. But his negatives are high enough so that it’s questionable whether he could get the support of 50% of Republicans in any contest between two R’s, and it’s doubtful as many as 70% of Republican general election voters would support him even against a Democrat.

If he’s nominated, he’ll be lucky to get 40% of the national popular vote. He’d be lucky to get 20% of the electoral college. Basically a vote for Trump is a vote to hand the Democrat a landslide victory.

Chuckles3 on February 15, 2016 at 7:05 PM

hachiban on February 15, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Best to you hachiban.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2016 at 7:13 PM

So write someone in if Trump isn’t running against Hillary.

talkingpoints on February 15, 2016 at 7:23 PM

I’ve voted for Republicans for President for over 40 years, even when it required some nose-holding (i.e., Romney). I’ve given money and time to help Republican candidates. My wife has reliably voted Republican as well.

Neither of us would vote for Trump in ANY circumstances. If he succeeds in hijacking the party, I’ll simply leave that part of the ballot blank.

I suspect we’re far from alone.

PhilBoynton on February 15, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Lead the charge Lindsey! Never go in against a Palmetto Princess when an election is on the line!

oryguncon on February 15, 2016 at 7:27 PM

here in South carolina,your home state, Miss Lindsey you were registering just 4% in the polls before you had to drop out. We will certainly re-evaluate your future as our senator you POS. But just think of all the free time you will have to troll the rest stops along I-95.

redware on February 15, 2016 at 8:29 PM

I suspect we’re far from alone.

PhilBoynton on February 15, 2016 at 7:24 PM

There are at least four of us including our wives.

The sad thing is, almost anyone else would win an epic landslide against Hillary.

Pythagoras on February 15, 2016 at 9:34 PM

He needs to open the closet door, if he wants to be heard…

2Tru2Tru on February 15, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Sure? Maybe you should ask President Romney about that and the 3-5M GOP base voters that just didn’t pull the lever for Romney.

Regardless, I think some of that goes on. Don J T Kardashian is unique. Many voters, myself included, viscerally despise him and the type he represents. I’ve worked with people like him and listening to him re-awakens all the negative memories of my past experiences. I can’t stand the hard-sell, holier than thou, always in your face Bronx salesman schtick.

There are other options. I won’t give my imprimatur to Her Royal Clintoness or Bernie either.

TXGRunner on February 15, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Alas! I,too, cannot vote for the “Trumpster!” I will stay home or write in Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio but I will not support Trump. I have NEVER voted for a Democrat and intend to keep that record clear. Reince Priebus had best re-evaluate his position on his candidates because it’s going to get messy!

Boats48 on February 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM