Hot Air to move to Facebook comment system

posted at 8:01 am on February 15, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

For almost ten years, Hot Air has utilized a proprietary, members-only comment system. In 2006, this kind of system made much sense, but Internet standards and technology have moved beyond this kind of system. Beginning tomorrow, Hot Air will move from its present proprietary closed-comment system to Facebook comments. At that time, native commenting functions will cease, and all comments will come through the Facebook interface.

We have certainly enjoyed the comment section and look forward to seeing it grow and become more diverse. That is one reason why we feel it necessary to make this change. A closed, proprietary system requires far more resources to manage than we can apply to the task. As a result, we rarely have the opportunity to open the system to new commenters, which means that newer Hot Air readers have no opportunity to engage and provide their feedback to our articles. That is unfair to those new Hot Air readers, and it also deprives other readers from a broader range of views.

Also, our commenting format has been outdated for some time. The Facebook interface has comment nesting, the ability to like, and post-commenting editing capability. Rather than use resources to essentially re-invent the wheel, using what has become an Internet standard interface makes much more sense. Facebook has over a billion users and many Hot Air readers likely already have accounts, two key reasons we chose this platform for our site. Sites such as IJ Review, TechCrunch, Huffington Post, WebProNews, Inquisitr, and more have gone to Facebook comments, while almost all others have gone to some other outside platform that allows Facebook for a login, such as Disqus.  Some readers may have concerns about using their real identity to comment at Hot Air, and we certainly understand that reluctance. Anonymous accounts can be created on Facebook, though, and those can be used for commenting on other websites.

This will also allow Hot Air’s editors to put aside policing the comment sections. We get steady, and lately increasing, demands for interventions in quarrels between commenters that often requires much time and effort to unwind. Our terms of use will still be in force, but we expect to spend very little time moderating comments. Since comments will get linked to user’s Facebook’s identities, we expect that any conflict between commenters can be handled between those users. We will modify our comments disclaimer accordingly soon to emphasize that point.

While we want to open our comments sections to as many new readers (and existing readers without accounts) as possible, we also hope that our existing community of readers will continue to comment here — and engage with many more readers, too. To those commenters, we offer our gratitude for your patronage, and your patience as we revamp for a dynamic election year!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 69 70 71

Thanks. Don’t know how I missed it.

rbj on February 16, 2016 at 6:17 PM

My pleasure.

darwin on February 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM

I think its ok to start drinking now. I only have enough for 2 glasses of wine so they better hurry up.

JudyJet on February 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM

I have some huangjiu (a kind of wine) if you’d like a little.

DarkCurrent on February 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM

Schadenfreude!

Bmore on February 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM

MarshFox!!!

Bmore on February 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM

7 0 0 0

galvestonian on February 16, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Schadenfreude & Bmore.

Belle on February 16, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Or Canopfor or Hawkdriver, though I think Hawkdriver left a while ago, didn’t he?

Sign up, guys. It would make this all less sad.

pannw on February 16, 2016 at 6:21 PM

i got it… …

anotherJoe on February 16, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Wow, over 7000. Amazing . . . wonder if anyone’s listening.

SoRight on February 16, 2016 at 6:22 PM

7K comments. Unbelievable.

Wonder if we’re spared for another day.

Doomberg on February 16, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Skip2014 on February 16, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Appreciate you adding to what jake1246 explained to me. Plan on keeping both of your posts so I can review them later and then decide.

You said here that “The site owner may or may not have comment moderation turned on, meaning if he does, all comments have to be approved before they’ll post. That is a pain for active sites.”

Evidently there is no way for the site owner to approve certain commenters, as the list blink has; then anyone new would have to have their comment approved.

Thanks for your info.

bluefox on February 16, 2016 at 6:22 PM

7500, did I here 7500, going once, going twice……

thelaststraw on February 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Facebook commenting? I am not – and will not – be a Mark Zuckerberg data source.

So, I bid HotAir good luck. It was nice while it lasted.

CelebrateHomogeneity on February 16, 2016 at 6:24 PM

** ** ** Bingo 7000! ** ** **

anotherJoe on February 16, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Well done!

DarkCurrent on February 16, 2016 at 6:25 PM

** ** ** Bingo 7000! ** ** **

anotherJoe on February 16, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Well done! You have great timing. :)

pannw on February 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM

7500, did I here 7500, going once, going twice……

thelaststraw on February 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM

8000, or bust.

anotherJoe on February 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Not interested in Facebook SJWs getting my comments.

David Block on February 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Okay. Who’s up for 10K?

jake1246 on February 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM

So, I bid HotAir good luck. It was nice while it lasted.

CelebrateHomogeneity on February 16, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Adieu, adieu, to you and yoo and yuh.

LashRambo on February 16, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Well done!

DarkCurrent on February 16, 2016 at 6:25 PM

Well done! You have great timing. :)

pannw on February 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Thank you!

But I missed the Bishop (really a Cardinal) all the other times..

1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000.

I guess the 7th time is the charm.

anotherJoe on February 16, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Man Arrested in Scotland for Facebook Posts About Refugees

“It also follows Facebook’s announcement that it would work with European governments, particularly Germany, to track and clamp down on hostility towards migrants on the platform”.

darwin on February 16, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Nice…but they’re doing it for ‘DIVERSITY!!!’

pannw on February 16, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Schadenfreude!

Bmore on February 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Don’t ask me why, I’m going to miss seeing that.

Belle on February 16, 2016 at 6:30 PM

The Second Circuit Court of Appeals has granted a temporary motion blocking the move to FB comments

DarkCurrent on February 16, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Well.. I don’t know if Ed is a bad guy, or not… But I do know that I had been reading HA for many years and about four years ago I was reading a thread that I really wanted to respond to.. To clarify things.. :-)

So I wrote to Ed directly, informing him of my desire and gave him a little background of myself.

Five minutes later, he responded requesting what user name and password I would like to use and he would register me himself… And he did.. Five minutes after that, I was in.. I really appreciated that.

I don’t really know what the heck is going on right now. But I do know that I am honored to have been able to participate and I am extremely saddened if HA wants to go down an exclusive Facebook path… What a damn pity…

I won’t be a part of it..

Al Hall on February 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM

I guess there has been too much turmoil in the world and too many outspoken commenters for the Administration to cope with.

I’ll miss this place.

Woody

woodcdi on February 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM

JudyJet on February 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM

I recommend going to the liquor store. Who knows how long we’ll have to wait for the fait that awaits us.

anotherJoe on February 16, 2016 at 6:16 PM

While at Costco the other day I stocked up. Went through a bad spell and promised, “as God is my witness, I’ll never run out of wine again.” Saw that in a movie once.

arnold ziffel on February 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM

This has been a (as I quote a Harvard graduate) “a teachable moment”. The insight from all your comments opened my eyes. VERY SORRY TO SEE THIS GO.

thelaststraw on February 16, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Wow, been traveling so late to the party. This will essentially be the end of Hot Gas. Any suggestions on what sites everyone is going to move to?

Ellis on February 16, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Any time now.

S. D. on February 16, 2016 at 6:35 PM

hotgas.net is one

JudyJet on February 16, 2016 at 6:37 PM

7 0 0 0

galvestonian on February 16, 2016 at 6:21 PM

; )

Bmore on February 16, 2016 at 6:39 PM

arnold ziffel on February 16, 2016 at 6:33 PM

And you should pick up a bunch of spirits also just in case the shtf and the world is crumbling, or this Facebook HA stuff actually happens.

anotherJoe on February 16, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Now, our time is done, so we face the final comment, — we did it OUR way

Tinker on February 16, 2016 at 6:39 PM

If anybody else is having the same issue let me know:

So we’re on page 71, and I post a comment, but I’m put back to page 70. So I have to click on page 71 to get back to the active thread.

anotherJoe on February 16, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Geez, the lights just went out in my house. How many plugs are going to pull before they find the right one.

HonestLib on February 16, 2016 at 6:41 PM

anotherjoe – same here

JudyJet on February 16, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Well, I think the post about the comment system is going to be the most commented on post of the year…

How very interesting.

JohnD13 on February 16, 2016 at 6:43 PM

The Carpathia is pulling into New York harbor. So the ship isn’t down yet? I can’t see that far. Don’t tell me I climbed down that rope ladder for nothing.

TxAnn56 on February 16, 2016 at 6:43 PM

If anybody else is having the same issue let me know:

anotherJoe on February 16, 2016 at 6:41 PM

That’s happened to me a few times. I think we’re breaking the comment system.

rbj on February 16, 2016 at 6:43 PM