Jeb! fights to be Last Governor Standing

posted at 6:31 pm on February 14, 2016 by Jason Hart

Remember when the GOP primary was overflowing with a wealth of viable candidates and looked like it might not result in the most miserable election year of our lives?

Seems like it’s been eons since I was wondering how I’d choose between Bobby Jindal, Scott Walker, and Rick Perry when Ohio’s primary rolled around.

And now here we are with only two governors left in a race dominated by a cartoony pinkish-orange toad-person. Until Wednesday it looked like Jeb Bush was going to try to fight Donald Trump while politely letting John Kasich bump him to the back of the pack.

Bush’s campaign, of course, bashed Kasich in New Hampshire and continues to do so in South Carolina. But in stump speeches, press appearances, and debates, Jeb has allowed Kasich to poison the Republican well by promoting Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion.

Jeb said nothing when Kasich lied about Obamacare expansion at the Jan. 28 debate, and missed another golden opportunity when Kasich — who expanded Medicaid unilaterally after vetoing a legislative ban on the policy — griped about executive overreach at the Feb. 6 debate.

After Kasich came in second in New Hampshire on Tuesday (finishing with a lower percentage of votes than Jon Huntsman got in 2012), Jeb began emphasizing Kasich’s embrace of Obamacare as proof Jeb’s the more conservative governor.

In Saturday’s debate, Jeb pounced on Kasich’s reply to a question about his Obamacare expansion:

“Expanding Obamacare is what we’re talking about, and Obamacare’s expansion — even though the federal government is paying for the great majority of it — is creating further debt on the backs of our children and grandchildren,” Jeb said.

“We should be fighting Obamacare, repealing Obamacare, replacing it with something totally different,” Jeb added. Based on Foundation for Government Accountability polling, South Carolina primary voters overwhelmingly oppose Obamacare expansion.

Kasich replied as you might expect: by tying himself into an ever-more-bristly knot and then whining about “negative campaigning.”

“He knows that I’m not for Obamacare, never have been,” Kasich said. Barely 24 hours before Saturday’s debate, Kasich was sneering at Florida Obamacare opponents during a Fox News interview and at South Carolina Obamacare opponents during a campaign stop.

In 2013, Kasich vetoed a ban on Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion, expanded Medicaid unilaterally, and threatened to bankrupt Ohio’s entire Medicaid program if lawmakers didn’t appropriate the resulting Obamacare funds. This is all a matter of public record.

“You know who expanded Medicaid five times, to try to help the folks and give them opportunity so they could rise and get a job? President Ronald Reagan,” Kasich said Saturday night, repeating a talking point former Reagan chief of staff Ed Meese eviscerated more than two years ago.

Kasich’s Obamacare expansion covers working-age adults with no kids and no disabilities. The program includes no work requirements.

Kasich projected 447,000 Ohioans would enroll in his Obamacare expansion by fiscal year 2020. Average actual enrollment for fiscal year 2016 is 657,000, according to the Ohio Department of Medicaid.

Kasich says Obamacare expansion will bring $14 billion of Ohio’s tax dollars back to Ohio in its first seven years. The actual cost in the first two years was $6.4 billion, and that’s new federal deficit spending — not “Ohio money.”

“The people of this country and this state want to see everybody rise, and they want to see unity, and I don’t want to get into all this fighting tonight ’cause the people are frankly sick of the negative campaigning,” Kasich said after Bush pointed to Kasich’s D grade on the latest Cato Institute spending scorecard.

If South Carolina Republicans were paying attention Saturday night, any of the momentum the media’s favorite Republican has from New Hampshire (#Kasixcitement!) should be stomped out in the state’s Feb. 20 primary.

Comments

Last Governor Standing Sitzpinkling

ShainS on February 14, 2016 at 6:36 PM

…Custer!

JugEarsButtHurt on February 14, 2016 at 6:37 PM

…Honestly…I like mailman mouth better.

JugEarsButtHurt on February 14, 2016 at 6:39 PM

He’s as much of a “governor” these days as The Ah-nold and Jesse the Body.

Please, please, please, elope with Hillary to Planet Mittens.

Bruno Strozek on February 14, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Kasich literally almost started crying during that exchange.

Totally pathetic.

Paperclips on February 14, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Seems like it’s been eons since I was wondering how I’d choose between Bobby Jindal, Scott Walker, and Rick Perry when Ohio’s primary rolled around.

That was my top 3.

Quickly seeing no options by Cruz. Didn’t expect to be in this position, but here we are.

forest on February 14, 2016 at 6:42 PM

I remember being told about that “deep bench”.

I never really saw what they were talking about. It looked like a bunch of losers and GOP flunkies to me.

sharrukin on February 14, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Ok, this is just sad.

When you have to be carried this hard, you know it’s over.

Paperclips on February 14, 2016 at 6:44 PM

And now here we are with only two governors left in a race dominated by a cartoony pinkish-orange toad-person. Until Wednesday it looked like Jeb Bush was going to try to fight Donald Trump while politely letting John Kasich bump him to the back of the pack.

uh? so this race is all about Jeb vs kasich? and the front runner is a orange toad person?

jason hart, something tells me you will fail in your pundit career.

nathor on February 14, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Last governor standing, first governor to sit while peeing…….

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Magicjava. Wow. I thought the same thing when that graphic came up on the screen.

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 6:46 PM

who is Jason Hart?

HugoDrax on February 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Yeah, Kasich is SOOOOO above all the bickering. Except when it comes to insulting Republican voters…..

rexbatt on February 14, 2016 at 6:50 PM

who is Jason Hart?

HugoDrax on February 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM

dunno, allahpundit took horse tranquilizers so they called for some emergency replacement with clear signs of TDS.

nathor on February 14, 2016 at 6:52 PM

It’s not a choice between bush and kasich. I wont vote for either of them. No way.

Bush is a feeb and a dweeb, kasich should be in the democrat primaries. He’s just so confused he thinks he’s a good GOPe’er, he’s not even that.

Andy__B on February 14, 2016 at 6:53 PM

who is Jason Hart?

HugoDrax on February 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Someone who likes to dwell on the totally irrelevant like the high tension clash between Kasich and Jebbie?

sharrukin on February 14, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Here’s Donald

Realdemocrat1 on February 14, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Realdemocrat1 on February 14, 2016 at 6:55 PM

that is all you got?

nathor on February 14, 2016 at 6:59 PM

who is Jason Hart?

HugoDrax on February 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM

The love child of Gary Hart and Jane Fonda?

ShainS on February 14, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Clearly you are racist against people of color.

VorDaj on February 14, 2016 at 7:01 PM

who is Jason Hart?

HugoDrax on February 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM

And many people ask “Who are Studs TurKAL?” It’s not “Who are Studs TurKAL?” it’s “Who am Studs TurKAL?”

VorDaj on February 14, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Hmmmmm. Last two govs. we had were liberal pieces of crap that pushed us ever closer to a socialist/communist nation. So much for govs. being worth a spit. Only hope now is a business man who has not sucked at the gubmint teat his whole adult life. With 43% of idiots below the age of 30 seeing socialism as favorable and 51% of population already living on socialism, the future is clear. 20 yrs. from now, we will be a full blown socialist nation inching damn close to a communist nation. It’s all over folks. Live for today because tomorrow under slavery is gonna suck.

they lie on February 14, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Realdemocrat1. Lol!! Havent seen that much slicing and dicing since the last karate movie i saw, twenty years ago. Which coincidentally, is prolly when most of those sound bytes occurred. Try harder next time, and put your heart into it…….

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 7:07 PM

A democrat using a Republican PAC ad to bash a republican nominee. Cant……stop…..laughing…at….you.

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Paperclips the graphic was timed perfectly with the question! Do you think this will go anywhere.

justonevictory on February 14, 2016 at 7:12 PM

I laugh when I hear governors saying the have the executive and decision making experience. They claim to cut spending when they really are cutting the growth in spending like the federal government. Debt continues to grow with bonds and public pensions coming due in the next two decades.

To shore up their budgets they grovel to federal government for help. This allows the feds to dictate to they states what they should do with the money including Medicaid expansion. Will Kasich be around when the feds cut back funding for Obamacare leaving Ohioans holding the bag, I don’t think so.

banzaibob on February 14, 2016 at 7:13 PM

can someone explain to me what the exclamation mark behind jeb’s name means?

nonpartisan on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

nathor on February 14, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Welcome to the Hot Air Universe.

To earn your conservative stripes, you’ll need to support the “conservative” presidents who created the EPA, turned America into the world’s #1 debtor nation, granted amnesty to illegal aliens, pushed for gun control, shipped American jobs overseas, and created Medicare Part D.

Once you’ve passed indoctrination, you can cheer on their “conservative” SCOTUS appointments as they write the decision on Roe v Wade, legalize gay marriage, and uphold Obamacare.

Magicjava on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

can someone explain to me what the exclamation mark behind jeb’s name means?

nonpartisan on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

Excitement

HugoDrax on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

So Walker, Perry, and Jindal are gone and the two are Kasich and Jeb left standing. I’d go with Jeb over Kasich just to stick a needle in the eye of the Bush Hating Left.

SDRightWinger on February 14, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Clearly you are racist against people of color.

VorDaj on February 14, 2016 at 7:01 PM

… not to mention totes anti-amphibian. He must be the studio love child of Hart to Hart, that’s where “he” gets the Hollywood bravura to flaunt his anti-Trump bigotry.
Welcome to Hot Gas, jackwad Jason Hart… we’ve kneecapped (euphemistically) a lot of pretentious elves.

ExpressoBold on February 14, 2016 at 7:23 PM

can someone explain to me what the exclamation mark behind jeb’s name means?

nonpartisan on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

Sure.

ExpressoBold on February 14, 2016 at 7:24 PM

I’d rather vote for “The Mailman” (Karl Malone) than Kasich. At least Malone is great on guns.

SDRightWinger on February 14, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Nonpartisan. Can you explain to me what your name means?? Since youre the MOST partisan azz hole this side of the Mississippi???…..

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Magicjava on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

You forgot the annual tribute to PP and repeating monotonically “islam is a religion of peace.”
Drop and give me twenty… no more memory lapses from you!

ExpressoBold on February 14, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Remember when the GOP primary was overflowing with a wealth of viable candidates and looked like it might not result in the most miserable election year of our lives?

Joseph K on February 14, 2016 at 7:27 PM

That ship’s sailed.

Look over there:
← ← ← ← ← ←

IDontCair on February 14, 2016 at 7:27 PM

can someone explain to me what the exclamation mark behind jeb’s name means?

nonpartisan on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

It’s the emoticon that means “Make Mexico Mediocre For Once” …

ShainS on February 14, 2016 at 7:27 PM

Is Hot Air sponsoring high school essay contests now?

Joseph K on February 14, 2016 at 7:29 PM

can someone explain to me what the exclamation mark behind jeb’s name means?

nonpartisan on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

Don’t let me confuse you but what do you think of this one: “¡El Yeb!” Isn’t that neat?

ExpressoBold on February 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 7:25 PM

I supported Romney in 2012

I liked Christie and currently am considering Bush

Who exactly I’m I partisan against??!

nonpartisan on February 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Allahpundit [email protected] 3h3 hours ago

From afar, Iraqis ponder US elections: ‘No more Bushes please’ https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/02/14/from-afar-iraqis-ponder-us-elections-no-more-bushes-please/

IDontCair on February 14, 2016 at 7:31 PM

I supported Romney in 2012

I liked Christie and currently am considering Bush

Who exactly I’m I partisan against??!

nonpartisan on February 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Humanity?

Just throwing that out there.

Magicjava on February 14, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Heh. (Via AP)

IDontCair on February 14, 2016 at 7:32 PM

I find it much more fascinating that some people would prefer to elect a person who has badly and continuously lost to the cartoony pinkish-orange toad-person.

rogerb on February 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Zombie Reagan 2016!!!

Someone please call Nancy and see if we can talk her into it.

PappyD61 on February 14, 2016 at 7:36 PM

can someone explain to me what the exclamation mark behind jeb’s name means?

noforeskin on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

…it’s from the foreskin…you’re missing!

JugEarsButtHurt on February 14, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Who exactly I’m I partisan against??!

nonpartisan on February 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM

…the English language.

JugEarsButtHurt on February 14, 2016 at 7:38 PM

rogerb on February 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM

I guess I’d have to read that kid’s blogging to understand what everyone is referring to.

IDontCair on February 14, 2016 at 7:38 PM

HA’s scraping the bottom of the barrel for contributors I see….

d1carter on February 14, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Trump / Fallin 2016!

But more likely Trump / Martinez 2016……she’s Ruling class approved and completely dull.

The perfect Ying Yangy Yang.

PappyD61 on February 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Jeb…..just go home ……take Ruboto and kaisch with yo

animal02 on February 14, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Welcome to the Hot Air Universe.

Magicjava on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

LOL!

Best description of HA – and nearly every other “conservative” blog I’ve ever seen!

Very nicely done! :)

smokeyblonde on February 14, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Jeb…..just go home ……take Ruboto and kaisch with yo

animal02 on February 14, 2016 at 7:42 PM

We’ll all chip in and get you a couple bottles of hooch.

IDontCair on February 14, 2016 at 7:45 PM

OK… I’m taking this thread over. When HA has to hire writers who use language like “cartoony pinkish-orange toad-person,” they don’t deserve the space.

I declare this an early evening open thread.

So… topics?

Er…

How’s the shrimp fishing off of Bailey’s Island these days?

Walter L. Newton on February 14, 2016 at 7:45 PM

FWIW, I’d imagine this was posted so Hotair staff can go on Twitter to link back to the comment section in order to make fun of their posters.

rogerb on February 14, 2016 at 7:46 PM

How’s the shrimp fishing off of Bailey’s Island these days?

Walter L. Newton on February 14, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Quite excellent. Just getting ready to throw some prawn on the barbie.

IDontCair on February 14, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Drop and give me twenty… no more memory lapses from you!

ExpressoBold on February 14, 2016 at 7:26 PM

Magicjava on February 14, 2016 at 7:47 PM

JEBH. Youre killin me over here……

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Walter. Ive got a topic. What about Peyton manning being named as a defendant in a sexual harassment lawsuit?????

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Really?

Walter L. Newton on February 14, 2016 at 7:51 PM

It wasn’t a good night for Jeb. Cruz has joined him in attacking Trump, so he isn’t “the only one willing to take him on”. It became obvious that Jeb and Cruz have been allies for a while now. Cruz doesn’t even pretend he’s running for anything but Jeb’s VP now. His closing argument was passive aggressive potshots at Trump’s “NY values” and urging voters to pick the “real” conservative, who could be anyone really.

Marcosoft looked robotic again with his fed questions and rehearsed answers underscored hilariously by a special PowerPoint presentation on immigration provisions he has fought against on numerous occasions. But he let Jeb and Cruz get into it with Jeb and might come out of SC with a second place showing.

Otherwise, Trump will still win the state and proceed to a good showing in the SEC primaries. Cruz will win TX.

ezspirit on February 14, 2016 at 7:51 PM

LOL!

Very nicely done! :)

smokeyblonde on February 14, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately, it’s completely true.

Magicjava on February 14, 2016 at 7:52 PM

justonevictory on February 14, 2016 at 7:12 PM

I certainly hope so.

Also, check this out!

Seriously, fake clapping and boos? This is so far beyond pathetic, there just are no words.

Paperclips on February 14, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Magicjava on February 14, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Good! Very good… You’ll thank me for it later even though you hate me right now. You’ll see…

ExpressoBold on February 14, 2016 at 7:55 PM

JEBH. Youre killin me over here……

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 7:48 PM

(:->)
…you missing foreskin too?

JugEarsButtHurt on February 14, 2016 at 7:59 PM

can someone explain to me what the exclamation mark behind jeb’s name means?

nonpartisan on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

There’s an upside down one at the beginning, too.

¡Yeb!

It means ¡Muy caliente!

Fallon on February 14, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Trump / Fallin 2016!

The perfect Ying Yangy Yang.

PappyD61 on February 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Sheesh, you spelled it wrong and I accept.

Trump / Fallon 2016!

Fallon on February 14, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Michelle Malkin [email protected] 21h21 hours ago

#GOPDebate wrap-up:
Bush: Mom.
Carson: Website.
Rubio: Spanish!
Cruz: ¿Qué?
Kasich: Kumbaya.
Trump: $%&^!

IDontCair on February 14, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Most of the forced retirement “true conservative” governors have come out and endorsed GOPe robo puppet Marco Rubio. Such a farce this “deep bench” of “true conservative” candidates.

wraithby on February 14, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Paperclips un freakin believable!! Thank you for linking this. I just don’t have words right now really I do not!

justonevictory on February 14, 2016 at 8:15 PM

HA’s scraping the bottom of the barrel for contributors I see….

d1carter on February 14, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Jason Hart…

My initial plan circa 2001 while I was in the Management Information Systems program at Miami University was to build a site for music, movie, and game reviews with a couple of high school friends who were at Ohio State. Gradually the focus shifted, and then shifted again. We talked about a web comic, and one of the guys drew some characters and scenes for a boring story I drafted.

Barred on February 14, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Walter. Yep. Its true. The suit was filed by ten females who worked at the University of Tennessee. One of them claims that manning sat on her head while she was examining his leg on a trainers table. His penis and genitals touched her face. Manning claims he was just mooning another player. Lol!!! Apparently, peyton and his dad have spent the last 15 years trying to keep this news from surfacing nationally.

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 8:27 PM

JEBH. Lol! No, your particular brand of humor tonight. :-D

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Walter. You can go to IndyStar.com if youre interested in that story.

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 8:36 PM

I thought jason hart was a wwf wrestler from the eighties…..

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 8:40 PM

I thought jason hart was a wwf wrestler from the eighties…..

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 8:40 PM

..I think he tag-teamed with Taylor Leotard!

JugEarsButtHurt on February 14, 2016 at 8:48 PM

who is Jason Hart?

HugoDrax on February 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM

sharrukin on February 14, 2016 at 6:54 PM

This disappoints me as a gratuitously cheap shot from Mr. Hart. Nevertheless, Hart is a reporter with watchdog.org, assigned to follow what the hell is going on in the Ohio capital, Columbus. I saw a presentation he gave on this Kasich horseshite last summer. He was excellent.

Hart may be assigned to a beat that’s of little interest to many of you, but he’s all over what a POS Kasich is. And now that Kasich has a little mojo, Hart’s going us a service by explaining what a real weasel Kasich is.

BuckeyeSam on February 14, 2016 at 8:52 PM

BuckeyeSam on February 14, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Thanks for the fuller context.

ShainS on February 14, 2016 at 9:29 PM

can someone explain to me what the exclamation mark behind jeb’s name means?

nonpartisan on February 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM

As stupid as this

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2016 at 10:20 PM

This is just as stupid.

And she goes by

Hillary

NO more Bushs

NO more Clintons

Both are ashamed of their last name. Let’s start there.

Then, go to Europe, or Hell, if you wish to live under royalties.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2016 at 10:22 PM

OT

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2016 at 11:07 PM

….Jeb! is boring….

sorrowen on February 14, 2016 at 11:12 PM

This web site is completely infested with Trump cultists. It’s just absurd. It’s as if they have no other commitments but to come on here and proselytize for their pro abortion, anti gun, bully of a candidate.

It’s really ridiculous. There’s maybefive of them that seem to be professional trolling something.

Twilight zone.

Malachi45 on February 14, 2016 at 11:16 PM

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Realdemocrat1 on February 14, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Trump is a little snotty rich kid LIBERAL phaggot from New York…And a LIAR

Realdemocrat1 on February 14, 2016 at 11:18 PM

Lol

LeeBelieu on February 15, 2016 at 1:21 AM

Bush, the establishment baby, can’t really hit anyone on Obamacare without acknowledging that it was his friends and present backers–the very powers (the RNC/GOPe complex)that helped create Obamacare.
They were the strongest of supporters of Romney, whose Oromneycare paved the way for the “other left” to do their evil. Obamacare and the 500 billion taken from seniors was simply to fund the same illegals you and your Chamber of Commerce backers planned.

Don L on February 15, 2016 at 5:13 AM

Bush lied! I’ve been fighting against democrats for almost 3 years to debunk that.

But, considering the facts now …. I shout …BUSH LIED!

And it feels so liberating.

Thanks Trump!

TheAlamos on February 15, 2016 at 5:24 AM

Indiana Jim on February 14, 2016 at 8:27 PM

And I’ll be spending the next 15 years trying to figure out how to duplicate his move.

Younggod on February 15, 2016 at 7:49 AM

I remember telling you you were conflating depth with crowded and your nomination process was going to be a mess. I confess even I didn’t predict this big a mess however.

Tlaloc on February 15, 2016 at 12:34 PM