Team Jeb: Rubio is a phony on family values given some of the hip-hop he listens to; Update: Team Jeb responds

posted at 5:21 pm on February 12, 2016 by Allahpundit

I thought this election was about nationalism and populism. How’d we get from that to whether it’s appropriate to employ Skinemax actresses and listen to NWA in the span of a day?

And how is it, with Republicans suddenly throwing roundhouses at each other over “values” in South Carolina, that Donald Trump, of all people, is the main beneficiary?

Two tweets from Tim Miller, head of Jeb’s communications team:

The first tweet duplicates McClatchy’s headline for its story about Rubio’s musical tastes. As in the actress post, I need some help from socially conservative readers in gauging whether this is a problem. There’s no question that Rubio listens to some hip-hop, like NWA, that’s explicit. There is, however, a very big question whether he does it around “family,” by which McClatchy obviously means his young kids. My pal Karl flagged this CNN story from last week suggesting that he doesn’t:

Marco Rubio is a West Coast hip-hop kind of guy. But he can’t listen to that stuff with his kids around.

So on the campaign trail, he’s swapped out rappers like Tupac and NWA for Calvin Harris and Avicii…

“I just like it because the lyrics are clean, so I can listen to it in front of my kids and not worry about it,” he said. “I used to be a much bigger hip-hop fan. But the lyrics have gotten harder and harder to listen to when you have 10-year-olds in the car.”

Rubio’s a phony if he claimed that people shouldn’t listen to music with explicit lyrics, period, or that that kind of music ideally shouldn’t be produced. Here’s what he actually said that’s got McClatchy and Team Jeb crying “phony”:

“It’s become harder than ever to instill in your children the values they teach in our homes and in our church instead of the values that they try to ram down our throats in movies, in music, in popular culture,” Rubio said in Nashua, N.H. in his last stump speech on primary day. The passage was made famous because Rubio actually repeated the statement twice, playing into earlier criticism about robotic adherence to talking points.

I don’t know where McClatchy gets from that that he “hates hip-hop, except when he loves it.” He loves it, he just doesn’t think it should be “rammed down our throats,” by which I assume he means “broadcast so ubiquitously that kids can’t avoid being exposed to it.” That’s a perennial complaint from parents about mass media, especially in the Internet era. It’s not that adult entertainment is bad per se, it’s that it’s too easy for children to access. Unless you think Rubio can’t instill good values in his kids if he occasionally listens to NWA when they’re not around, I don’t understand how what he said conflicts with family values. And if it does, would it also conflict with family values if he admitted to being a fan of, say, “Breaking Bad”? That’s a show about cooking meth, selling it, and murdering people who get in your way. The lead character, whom you’re supposed to sympathize with, is the local meth kingpin. Not a show you’d want to watch with young kids, but it’s a show you’d want to watch. (Take it from me.) Is he a phony for endorsing “family values” and enjoying “Breaking Bad”? Has Jeb Bush ever seen that show? Or “The Sopranos”? Or “Game of Thrones”?

Since we’re on the subject of Jeb, Right to Rise chief Mike Murphy is touting these numbers:

I’d bet cash money that’s not an accurate reflection of the race, but if it is then Marco will soon have a lot of extra free time to listen to all the music he wants.

Update: Tim Miller e-mails with a reply to my post:

Your post completely missed the mark on what I was pointing out regarding Marco.

Anyone who knows me or follows my Twitter feed would know that I have absolutely no issue with someone promoting rap music or violent movies. My avatar is Jeb with a rapper.

And I don’t know anyone who would dispute that what is appropriate for kids is different from what is appropriate for adults.

My point was this: for years Marco has been doing interviews with outlets that target younger voters where he highlights his knowledge of rap, his favorite movies (Pulp Fiction) and other cultural touchstones. Then all of a sudden, 2 weeks before the Iowa caucus, he begins adding into his stump speech a lament about the values that movies and music are shoving down our throats.

Now maybe this is just a coincidence, but given the timing, I think its more likely that it is a phony ploy to cultural conservatives that have that view.

And if Marco has had a genuine change of heart on this, then I think he would not want to promote those artists that are “ramming their values down our throats” in other venues. But he did once again in the Showtime behind the scenes documentary just last week.

Is this the biggest issue on this campaign? Absolutely not.

But is it an obviously phony pander worthy of a cheeky tweet? I think so.

Comments

But dont lecture abt music values with SoCos

OK, it’s Twitter. I can forgive the – pardon the expression – spelling, and the lack of an apostrophe, but isn’t the supposed hyprocisy about family values?

corona79 on February 12, 2016 at 5:24 PM

I’ll give him a pass on the hip-hop, if he disposes of the twitter and facebook.
That goes for all of them.

leftamark on February 12, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Parrots like hip hop?

VorDaj on February 12, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Bush: family values, family values (don’t look at MY family though)

Rubio: dude……leave my rap alone.

Ghetto stompers: second look at rubio?

Andy__B on February 12, 2016 at 5:25 PM

I guess we found Pitbull’s one fan: Rubio

tetriskid on February 12, 2016 at 5:27 PM

¡Jeb!

Go strong, hit him where it hurts. This is bad… real bad. He’s bad.

Is Michael Jackson hip hop?

Neitherleftorright on February 12, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Jeb has a point this time.

anotherJoe on February 12, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Seriously? Trump is the front runner Jeb! It’s like you are a petty teenager the way you go after Rubio!!!

And for his music choices.

Just like a teenage Queen Bee.

petunia on February 12, 2016 at 5:28 PM

corona79 on February 12, 2016 at 5:24 PM

That’s just Jeb and the establishment showing how in-touch they are with social conservatives about family values. I’m halfway surprised they didn’t say “vector values” or “stores of value”.

Stoic Patriot on February 12, 2016 at 5:28 PM

The Bible Belt primaries never fail to entertain.

He said H-E-Double hockey Stick!!!

His mom wore short skirts!!!

His wife wears open toed shoes!!!

libfreesMom on February 12, 2016 at 5:29 PM

IF that poll is correct, then Jeb and Cruz will be fighting it out to be #2 once South Carolina is over.

Either way, the battle between Rubio and Bush this primary season has been fun to watch. They used to be such good friends! :D

SquireB on February 12, 2016 at 5:29 PM

In honor of Jeb, I’m playing The Chronic right now.

Doughboy on February 12, 2016 at 5:29 PM

I thought this election was about nationalism and populism.

Among Trump supporters, it is. Some others, like Rafael de Jesus, want to make it into a religious contest of some kind and, well, Jeb is desperate so don’t try to find much much rhyme nor reason in what he tries next..

VorDaj on February 12, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Why are we concerned with a cat fight between two candidates that are inconsequential?

cozmo on February 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Hiphop? What about gay foam parties?

And don’t tell me Marco is not a closet homosexual. He has gay written all over him.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

If Bush was smart, which he isn’t, he would say something like:

I give no credence to these rumors that Mr Rubio is gay and attended gay orgies in Miami in his youth. Those rumors can not be proven, regardless of the photographic evidence.

What’s the Rubio campaign’s answer to that?

HugoDrax on February 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM

I despise rap but this is a nothing.

I prefer Medieval music such as My man John had a Thing that was long and Sir Walter enjoying his Damsel. Can’t even write the titles of the dirty Blues album here.

rbj on February 12, 2016 at 5:31 PM

VorDaj on February 12, 2016 at 5:29 PM

It’s the Bible Belt.

If the campaigns were in Trumps Neighborhood the battles would be about who can abort more children, and who is more pro-global warming than the other.

libfreesMom on February 12, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Really?

Philly on February 12, 2016 at 5:32 PM

M-Nasty is his hip hop name.

Buddahpundit on February 12, 2016 at 5:33 PM

If Trump is the Master of the Linguistic Kill Shot, what does that make Bush?

This is so dumb a vector of attack I’d almost consider voting for Ruboto.

Almost.

Skipity on February 12, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Geez, those are some really great campaign consultants you have there Jeb.

darwin on February 12, 2016 at 5:37 PM

cozmo on February 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM
Short answer. Rubio has the last life jacket. !jeb and ‘Hands boy’ are swimming at him furiously….

flackcatcher on February 12, 2016 at 5:37 PM

HugoDrax. Feb 12, 2016 at 5:30 pm

First Obama’s secretly gay, then Hilary is secretly gay, then Rubio’s secretly gay. I think you should seek help for this obsession.

cam2 on February 12, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Hiphop? What about gay foam parties?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

If Bush was smart, which he isn’t, he would say something like:

What’s the Rubio campaign’s answer to that?

HugoDrax on February 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Nah, usually for dirt like that, most candidates will leak it through proxies to friendly media outlets who will print it for them, while pretending to be “above the fray.” This kind of BS was of the things I hated most about the Romney campaign, and its eager accomplices in the “conservative” media.

I think only Trump would have the balls to belt out accusations like that personally, and he doesn’t seem to be biting in this instance.

and who is more pro-global warming than the other.

libfreesMom on February 12, 2016 at 5:32 PM

The one thing that I think Trump has been completely, 100% consistent with no room for interpretation on is his opposition to “fighting global warming.” I do not think I’ve ever read any positive Trump statements about environmentalism before.

Doomberg on February 12, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Is Jeb basically calling him a Latino? Considering he married an Latino Hobbit.

Oil Can on February 12, 2016 at 5:44 PM

Okay, so Rubio has bad taste.

Is this important? Please don’t make me defend Rubio.

Geez, Jeb! is such an idiot.

kim roy on February 12, 2016 at 5:45 PM

It could play in south Carolina.
Dubya’s campaign accused McCain of having a black kid and he won thestate.

There is some level of bigotry there.

weedisgood on February 12, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Boobio listens to radio station kRAP

Senator Philip Bluster on February 12, 2016 at 5:47 PM

I dare Jeb to name 1 hip-hop artist. I couldn’t

gerrym51 on February 12, 2016 at 5:48 PM

Hippty-Hippty Hop music, has the “N, B, and Wh*re” word,
throughout the songs!

There is no safe Hippty-Hop music, that one can listen to!

Oh, and why would one even bother!!

canopfor on February 12, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Jeb has a point this time.

anotherJoe on February 12, 2016 at 5:27 PM

True, but his hair hides it well.

cornbred on February 12, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Doomberg on February 12, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Here it is:

“I have a great environmental record,” said Trump, who last month purchased one of Virginia’s best-known wineries at a foreclosure auction for $6.2 million. “I have a record that, in my opinion, everybody would love.”

Gelsomina on February 12, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Rubio can’t be president because he listens to hip-hop music.

How embarrassing that GOP politics has sunk this low!

technopeasant on February 12, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Im betting trump is the only one that loves Elvis. Thats why im voting for him….

Indiana Jim on February 12, 2016 at 5:54 PM

cRap. I didn’t know the c was silent.

IDontCair on February 12, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Twitter is now dictating how pundits interpret elections…

… in the real world, I look at a local ice cream shop, where it’s neon sign is emblazoned with one word… and it rhymes with Thump.

mjbrooks3 on February 12, 2016 at 6:06 PM

aww jebito, dont like rap but loves mariachi, but im betting rubio likes it too, as does slick teddy cruz when hes not listening to “oh canada”

the thing they all like is the sound of their donor/owner writing them big checks, to make illegals legal and bring in more foreigners to take american jobs from american citizens.

music to their ears

Garyinaz66 on February 12, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Wonder what Bush’s parents thought of the music teenage Yeb listened to? I’m thinking musical taste would be a poor choice of voting guidelines.

Now if Rubio puts ketchup on hot dogs instead of mustard, Yebby would have a very good point.

Oxymoron on February 12, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Wut?

This campaign gets dumber and dumber.

Aizen on February 12, 2016 at 6:12 PM

At least Jeb is hitting the really important issues now.

Sometimes is does all seem like a vast conspiracy to elect Trump.

Meremortal on February 12, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Hippty-Hippty Hop music, has the “N, B, and Wh*re” word,
throughout the songs!

There is no safe Hippty-Hop music, that one can listen to!

Oh, and why would one even bother!!

canopfor on February 12, 2016 at 5:49 PM
———————

HipHop is the most popular and most produced type of music in the world. You’d be surprised.

Politricks on February 12, 2016 at 6:13 PM

cRap. I didn’t know the c was silent.

IDontCair on February 12, 2016 at 5:54 PM

You can’t spell crap without rap!

Meremortal on February 12, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Rotarians cut off Jeb! speech.

whatcat on February 12, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Just when I think Jeb can’t be more lame, we get this.

Philly on February 12, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Bush is an ass.

I listen to hip-hop / rap – call what you like when running or working out or perhaps just cruising around.

I wouldn’t listen to it when my kids were younger.

But hey, if we’re on the subject. Has Bush ever listened to death metal?

Good eff’n grief, Jeb. Go home already and stop jumping up and down saying look at me. . . look at me. And of course, that includes standing on your tip toes too.

Steve_in_SoCal on February 12, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Rubio takes Kanye West’s side in the Kanye West-Taylor Swift feud.

whatcat on February 12, 2016 at 6:24 PM

I question the values of any man who listens to that stuff. It’s a genre that celebrates the lowest possible human condition.

Want to get down and jiggy while extolling the benefits of multiple baby mamas and banging with the homies whilst cashing in on some EBT? There’s a RAP for that.

HotAirian on February 12, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Well I’d support him if his favorite song was “Smell yo d1ck”, or if he knew that the Wu-Tang clan ain’t nuthin to buck with

LeeBelieu on February 12, 2016 at 6:34 PM

they should try some southern rock.

Garyinaz66 on February 12, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Jeb’s campaign bungles the attack into Rubio’s taste in crappy music. The real attack is that Rubio’s a vapid fake who memorizes 30-second subroutines about hating popular culture for the SEC primary. He will flip flop for the general election. Voters can’t trust him on amnesty or religious freedom or any other issues important to them.

sauldalinsky on February 12, 2016 at 6:34 PM

HotAirian on February 12, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Yeah, well I guess you’d think I’m the devil or something…

Typically it has great beats that are perfect for the gym or running. But hey, feel free to question my values based on one of the genres of music I listen to haha.

nextgen_repub on February 12, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Is it not too late to get someone not named Bloomberg in the race?

Zaggs on February 12, 2016 at 6:42 PM

they should try some southern rock.

Garyinaz66 on February 12, 2016 at 6:34 PM

That’s more grunge-metal than South. Now, this is South, old skool.

Though I enjoyed your tune, too, good kickass sound.

whatcat on February 12, 2016 at 6:45 PM

nextgen_repub on February 12, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Meh. Some of figure illiterates yelling about slappin’ hoes and killing cops isn’t anything even remotely resembling music.

whatcat on February 12, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Whichever candidate plays Roadhouse Blues wins in a landslide. Any candidate who plays that Eddie Murphy Michael Jackson song may trigger the Rapture

LeeBelieu on February 12, 2016 at 7:00 PM

You’re both losers, but not related to music.

Keep hope alive

Schadenfreude on February 12, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Whichever candidate plays Roadhouse Blues wins in a landslide.
LeeBelieu on February 12, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Naw, gotta be “Green River”.

whatcat on February 12, 2016 at 7:13 PM

omg, Jeb is such an f’ing tool.

He’d be afraid of the music that my son and I listen to… as far a family values go, music has nothing to do with it. It’s all about good parenting and paying attention to your kids.

Voodoo Chile on February 12, 2016 at 7:28 PM

libfreesMom on February 12, 2016 at 7:19 PM
Most of this is on the newbies. Ed and Jazz did warn before Iowa as things started to heat up. Things did calm down a bit, but with this kind of presidential campaign, things were bound to get out of control. There are three commenter’s who are rancid. They came on right after Trump’s announcement. Two of them are on this thread. They are pretty much driving this. Either Ed, Jazz, or Allah are going to be forced to make the call. None of them want to, but these idiots are forcing their hand. The only question, is when.(shakes head)Sad.

flackcatcher on February 12, 2016 at 7:36 PM

flackcatcher on February 12, 2016 at 7:36 PM
Ugh posted on wrong thread.(TGIF)

flackcatcher on February 12, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Jeb is a total bore… I wish he’d just go away… watching the guy talk is painful — he looks like he’s being held up by a clothes hanger and sounds like an annoyed librarian.

dpduq on February 12, 2016 at 8:31 PM

I can’t believe I didn’t get any kudos for “M-Nasty”. That was comedy gold right there.

Buddahpundit on February 12, 2016 at 9:56 PM

I can’t stop thinking about how many diseases could have been cured, how many scholarships funded, how many border patrol agents hired, how much the national debt could have been reduced with all of the money that Jeb! has wasted on this utterly worthless and stupid clusterfark of a campaign. He has accomplished absolutely nothing at all, except to slime fellow republicans and to disgrace himself, his family name and their legacy.

How can anyone associated with this inferno of stupidity and waste possible remain in the business following this plane crash ? Worthless and stupid. Worthless. And. Stupid.

Every single douchebag consultant associated with this campaign deserves to be stripped to their underwear, tarred and feathered, and tied to a post in downtown Charleston for 3 days and nights after they crash and burn AGAIN on 20 February. May none of them ever work again in politics after this cycle. Or if they do, let it be for the other party.

bigjack on February 12, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Well, I watch movies, but not all movies, so I can understand this. I’d say that Jeb at this point is grasping for straws.

Someone’s taste in music is way down on the list, far far below controlling our out of control budget, defeating ISIS, and restoring freedom of religion.

unclesmrgol on February 12, 2016 at 11:27 PM

Oh, and the movies I’ll watch increase in proportion to how old they are.

unclesmrgol on February 12, 2016 at 11:28 PM

See, that right there is BS. I hate rap but growing up I had friends who loved it so I had to listen to a good bit of that stupid ish by proxy.

And the lyrics from the late ’80s and early ’90s were much harder than they are today. Today they rap about vulgar sex stuff and driving their Bentleys and their diamond grills. Back then they rapped about the vulgar sex stuff and ambushing cops and selling crack and popping caps in fools. Today’s stuff is vanilla compared to NWA.

I don’t object to Rubio listening to hip-hop because it’s vulgar. I object to Rubio listening to hip-hop because it’s stupid. Come on man, you’re in your 40s. Grow up.

Lamont Cranston on February 13, 2016 at 12:43 AM

Jeb Bush, Whiner in Chief

Go away already.

evergreen on February 13, 2016 at 6:43 AM

Jeb, please lend your big red lollilops to Marco. He loves licking it while watching T-pac’s MTV. You know, Marco loves to fly!

TheAlamos on February 13, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Jeb has a point this time.

anotherJoe on February 12, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Exactly.

Rubio is a doublespeak, sorta Conservative who but in bed with the Democrats.

Another Hyde and Jekell moment for Marco: He’s a robot for repetitiously saying that he would reverse Obama’s destruction of the country but recent history tells that Marco loved working in bipartisaship with Obama such as in the case of Gang of 8 Bill.

Rubio has a split personality.

TheAlamos on February 13, 2016 at 4:21 PM