Trump tells French magazine, “I always have a gun on me”

posted at 8:01 am on February 11, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

This is a story which has cropped up in the past, but it’s making the rounds again this month. Donald Trump gave an interview to the French magazine Valleurs Actuelles this month where he weighed in on how their nation has seen better days. Both the country and its capital were criticized for sagging a bit in the modern era. Saying, “France isn’t what it was” during his comments, Trump noted that the country might be in better shape if the citizens had the right to keep and bear arms. For evidence, the man who the Weekly Standard just described as being in the driver’s seat on the way to the nomination, cited the recent terror attacks and noted that he’s always ready for action and that things might have gone differently if he’d been there. (The Local, France)

“Do you really think that if there were people in the crowd, who were armed and trained, things would have turned out the same way?,” Trump said.

“I don’t think so. They would have killed the terrorists. It makes sense.

“I always have a gun on me. I can tell you that if I had been in the Bataclan or in the cafes I would have opened fire.

“I may have been killed, but I would have drawn.”

It seems that some people have raised doubts about whether or not this claim is true. I’ve gotten some questions on this in the past and it came up again with this article. The default assumption seems to be that Trump is a Big Apple guy and nobody gets a concealed carry permit in New York City. I’ll grant you that, particularly these days, it’s darned hard to get one, but it can be done. And in years past it was at least somewhat easier. Public figures who regularly receive plausible threats on their lives can actually obtain one fairly easily if they don’t have a criminal record or other disqualifying items in their history. It seems unlikely that Trump would be fibbing on this one, particularly since he puts the claim right on his Second Amendment issues page. Further, Trump is on record out on the campaign trail as claiming that he’s had the permit for years, an item noted by our Katie Pavlich last fall.

Boulder, Colo. – During one of the final questioning sessions of Wednesday night’s debate, Donald Trump proudly proclaimed that he has a concealed carry permit and that he “carries, sometimes a lot.”

What sort of heat is The Donald packing? He’s normally rather hesitant to go into details (which many people consider a rather private matter) but in one interview he did give a peek behind the curtains. He has a fair collection, including at least one Sig Sauer, a H&K .45 and a .38 Smith & Wesson. On a slightly off topic subject, there’s one type of weapon the real estate mogul probably isn’t packing, and that’s a “smart gun.” Just for some extra credit reading, take a look at this article on why smart guns are probably your stupidest choice when looking for personal protection. (Real Clear Science)

The whole point of owning a gun is that you only need to use it in the most extreme situations (and you pray these never arise). You don’t plug your gun into a USB port before going to bed, knowing that tonight is the night that you’ll need it. You don’t pop on your special RFID digital watch before slipping between the sheets. A gun needs to be ready for the only circumstances it is designed for: the unimaginably horrible ones.

A gun that is hamstrung by special technological conditions to fire is a liability to an owner who keeps it for protection from these terrifying moments. Science would say that smart guns are a stupid idea.

Just some food for thought in case you’re thinking about picking up one of these very expensive toys.

trumprifle

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Or a hovercraft.

Bishop on February 11, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Full size 1911 handgun as IWB. I almost feel bad that I’m educating without a government-approved teacher’s license but I’ll get over it.

Bishop on February 11, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Trump in 2000……

“I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun.” “I hate the concept of guns.” “The Republicans walk the NRA line and refuse even limited restrictions.” “I probably identify more as a Democrat”

Like he has said before, he could just shoot somebody in NYC and none of supporters would blink. That is “Trump Derangement Syndrome”. Maybe he will do common sense gun deals with Schumer and Pelosi, his good friends, if he is elected. Great news for the Trumpbots.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Trump in 2000……

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM

I fully expect him to go Bloomberg on us soon after he’s elected.

CurtZHP on February 11, 2016 at 10:42 AM

David. You seem awfully preoccupied with the size of things. Are you sure you can satisfy your wife with a mere .380?????Indiana Jim on February 11, 2016

Classy. Bring my wife into the conversation. Loser.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 10:46 AM

I fully expect him to go Bloomberg on us soon after he’s elected.CurtZHP on February 11, 2016 at 10:42 AM

He may be worse than Bloomy.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Give enough money to Democrat politicians and it’s amazing what you can do. Isn’t that what Trump was bragging about at one point?

jnelchef on February 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM

I have a Model 19 snub .357, the previous owner had comp cuts put into the top of the barrel, dumbest decision I ever made was to buy it. When it’s fired a crapload of unburned powder flies through the holes and peppers my face, hate it with a passion.
Bishop on February 11, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Do “comp cuts” do the same thing as a “muzzle-brake”?

Otherwise, I have no clue what they are.

listens2glenn on February 11, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Do “comp cuts” do the same thing as a “muzzle-brake”?

Otherwise, I have no clue what they are.

listens2glenn on February 11, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Muzzle brake = Reducing horizontal felt recoil.

Compensator = Reducing vertical muzzle flip.

There’s some overlap but that’s the basic definition.

Bishop on February 11, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Classy. Bring my wife into the conversation. Loser.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 10:46 AM

YOU brought your wife into the conversation, dipsh_t:

I recently bought a Kimber Micro .380 for my wife.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 9:29 AM

You also brought up your anatomy, by being a d!ck:

1) you are over-compensating for something else missing in your life

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 9:25 AM

GWB on February 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM

As far as smart guns go, they will make more sense when everyone has wifi built into a cyber implant, and you are already getting a live IR video feed from the targeting camera on the gun.

Count to 10 on February 11, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Bishop on February 11, 2016 at 9:46 AM

I like the Model 60 for a small .357 single/double – easily concealed. If you want bigger in .357, the 686 is very nice – but some people might need a trench coat to conceal it……

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Classy. Bring my wife into the conversation. Loser.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Don’t worry, she won’t notice. She’s too busy with me right now.

Nutstuyu on February 11, 2016 at 11:16 AM

He may be worse than Bloomy.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 10:50 AM

I hear he is going to replace all of our silverware with plastic sporks.

Chomsky Dance Recital on February 11, 2016 at 11:22 AM

No Glocks for me, I hate the look and the grip angle is all wrong, they can take a beating though.

HK45 right now, the same gun what’s his face here said isn’t concealable.

Bishop on February 11, 2016 at 9:37 AM

I like the Glocks, but my son doesn’t – all depends on how it feels – so he went for a Walther PPQ M2 in 9mm.
I’ve been wanting to get a nice 1911, but the one I want is a bit pricey. However, after checking out the new Walther PPQ M2 in .45ACP, I might just go for that instead of the 1911 – for now.

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Shouldn’t trump be arrested then? Cuz guns are illegal in NYC last I checked…

nonpartisan on February 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM

David. Lol!! No, YOU brought your wife into this conversation. Your third grade bullshiat is wearing thin mighty quick……

Indiana Jim on February 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Spooky trigger on those, like the CZ P-09 it wants to fire by itself.

I’ve off and on carried a 1911 but I don’t like Condition 1 so I went with Israeli carry. Now it gets a slot in the carry rotation like all the others but it’s not the favorite any longer.

I’ve changed, don’t hate me for being me.

Bishop on February 11, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Just remember David. When you build that deck for your wife this spring…..deck size matters.

Indiana Jim on February 11, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Bishop on February 11, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Jericho?

cozmo on February 11, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Spooky trigger on those, like the CZ P-09 it wants to fire by itself.

Bishop on February 11, 2016 at 11:30 AM

The Walther does have a very light trigger, which might be a concern for carrying with a chambered round (no – I am not getting into that whole discussion of chambered vs empty) – but it does feel very nice in the hands for shooting.
If I want to carry with a bigger round – I take my S&W Governor with .45 LC.

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 11:39 AM

How do you know when Trump is lying? His lips are moving.

ErnstBlofeld on February 11, 2016 at 11:47 AM

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 11:15 AM

That is what I keep in my car. If I need more than 7 shots, her husband is a lot bigger than I thought.

HonestLib on February 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM

How do you know when Trump is lying? His lips are moving.

ErnstBlofeld on February 11, 2016 at 11:47 AM

That is almost as lame as my comments. Hey, I said almost.

HonestLib on February 11, 2016 at 11:59 AM

I’d say that everything Donald J Drumpth knows about pistol-craft could be written on the smallest post-it note.

I recall the wisdom posted earlier …
first rule of concealed carry is do not advertise.
But Drumpth can’t curb his hyper-inflated ego and super-self-promotion.
So of course he must shoot his mouth off (pun intended).

Missilengr on February 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Oh and all you experts can go shoot in a Bowling Pin Match.
5 pins at 9 yards centered on a 4×8 table, timer from ‘low ready’ position.
Get back to me when you can clean the table in under 5 seconds.

Missilengr on February 11, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Missilengr on February 11, 2016 at 12:09 PM

I am just happy to get within a foot of the toilet when I let lose.

HonestLib on February 11, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Oh and all you experts can go shoot in a Bowling Pin Match.
5 pins at 9 yards centered on a 4×8 table, timer from ‘low ready’ position.
Get back to me when you can clean the table in under 5 seconds.

Missilengr on February 11, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Can I use a 12 gauge semi-auto?
How about the M1919 rental at my range?

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 12:18 PM

So now we know what’s under his toupee.

Lee Jan on February 11, 2016 at 12:18 PM

If every millionaire who lived in NYC left, the city would go bankrupt overnight. I have no doubt that if any millionaire in that city asked for a CCW, they’d get it EXPEDITED.

And if they aren’t carrying, they’re surrounded by hired ARMED bodyguards.

GarandFan on February 11, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Missilengr on February 11, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Spas-12 with #4 set to auto. Used a stump though. Table wouldn’t have fared well.

I’m only an expert at using the right tool for the job.

cozmo on February 11, 2016 at 12:21 PM

first rule of concealed carry is do not advertise.
But Drumpth can’t curb his hyper-inflated ego and super-self-promotion.
So of course he must shoot his mouth off (pun intended).

Missilengr on February 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Except he’s running for Pres – so he spends all day every day shooting his mouth off.
He’s just trying to get gun owners / 2A vote – and distinguishing himself from the rabid anti-gun leftists who are running.

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Lee Jan on February 11, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Well deserved

cozmo on February 11, 2016 at 12:23 PM

You trumpbots are thinner skinned than the idiot you are worshipping. Seriously, you guys act like teenage girls defending a Kardashian.

I point out the obvious fact Capt Comb Over is lying about carrying a weapon all of the time and the trumpbot howler monkeys start bragging about carrying yuuuge weapons and making sexual innuendos about my wife. Keep it classy like your new Messiah.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Dear butthurt in Atlanta,

Give it time, you will recover.

cozmo on February 11, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Seriously, you guys act like teenage girls defending a Kardashian.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM

I am teenage girl. You sound like you are from either Cobb or Gwinnett.

HonestLib on February 11, 2016 at 12:48 PM

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM

They pointed out your obvious misconception that Trump must not be carrying because he couldn’t get through airport TSA to get to his private plane – and started conversations about guns, which happens in every gun related thread.
And YOU brought your wife into this.
YOU tossed classy out the window with your first posts.

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 12:53 PM

David in Atl. Go sit on a pinecone. Better yet, have your wife do it…….

Indiana Jim on February 11, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Two of those guns are not at suited for concealed carry. Maybe his body guards use them but he sure doesn’t. Is it impossible for Trump to not make up crap everytime he talks? He is a pathological liar like his buddy BO.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 8:54 AM

The article actually said:

So, smart guy – Which 2 of those guns are not suited for concealed carry?
Think very carefully about your answer.

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 1:00 PM

So now we know what’s under his toupee.

Lee Jan on February 11, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Heh.

You trumpbots are thinner skinned than the idiot you are worshipping.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
(You actually started the “sexual innuendoes”.)

GWB on February 11, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Someone earlier nailed it.. Trump is basically Bloomberg x2

Talks conservative to get elected and then any bright idea that pops into his head will be new policy because he knows best.

Remember he makes “Great Deals!” – wait for the great deal on gun control, immigration, energy, healthcare, etc…

We don’t need deals for some of these issues, we just need to follow the law/Constitution.

rgrovr on February 11, 2016 at 1:04 PM

rgrovr on February 11, 2016 at 1:04 PM

That actually sums up my concerns about Trump.
I like most of what he says – but I just don’t entirely trust that HE really believes it himself, or really intends to do what he says.
But if the choice is between Trump and hilLIARy or Commie Bernie – it’s easily Trump.

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 1:10 PM

rgrovr. Would that also include following the laws on illegal invaders?? Or just the laws that you like??

Indiana Jim on February 11, 2016 at 1:15 PM

listens2glenn on February 11, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Muzzle brake = Reducing horizontal felt recoil.

Compensator = Reducing vertical muzzle flip.

There’s some overlap but that’s the basic definition.
Bishop on February 11, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Glad I asked … I never understood a difference between vertical and horizontal, in terms of ‘reversed-muzzle-energy recoil reduction’. To me, they were all “muzzle-brakes”.

I knew I came to Hotair for something.

Easy to see how you (as well as the previous owner) would be getting blasted in the face by hot, partially burned powder debris.

Why would anyone want energy-based recoil reduction in a snub-nosed handgun, anyway?

listens2glenn on February 11, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Shouldn’t trump be arrested then? Cuz guns are illegal in NYC last I checked…
nonpartisan on February 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Who or what was your source?

Firearms possession by a ‘common citizen’ in NYC, is the most highly restricted of anywhere else in these United States, that I’m aware of. But like Garand Fan said:

And if they aren’t carrying, they’re surrounded by hired ARMED bodyguards.
GarandFan on February 11, 2016 at 12:21 PM

listens2glenn on February 11, 2016 at 1:56 PM

listens2glenn on February 11, 2016 at 1:43 PM

A- those vents look cool.
B- the muzzle flash looks really cool.
C- did I mention those vents look cool?

Seriously, the model 19 is the ubiquitous revolver. A jack of all trades and less than half the price of a python.

IIRC, any model 19 with less than a 4″ barrel has smaller grips. Those things were a pain (literally). I would imagine there were plenty of them ported to reduce the recoil.

cozmo on February 11, 2016 at 2:05 PM

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Slugs perhaps but kiss the pins good by (same with the .30-06 rounds coming out of the crew served weapon).

Neither will work better than a good two-hand grip on a 1911.
Try Ranier 200 HP with 6.2 of WW-231 (a stout load).
Use at least a 23 pound spring.

Smooth is fast, fast is smooth, don’t overthink it, sweep and shoot.

Missilengr on February 11, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Classic gun-grabber hypocrisy from Trump. “Guns for me but not for thee”.

Alberta_Patriot on February 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Classic gun-grabber hypocrisy from Trump. “Guns for me but not for thee”.

Alberta_Patriot on February 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Except – that’s not what he’s saying.
He SAYS he’s in favor of full 2A rights for ALL of us.
We’ll have to wait to see if he really means it……

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Given how often Mr. Trump is in airports, that should be relatively easy to verify, as he’d have to check his gun, oh, every single time he visited one.

Dafyd on February 11, 2016 at 8:08 AM

He flies on his own jetliner, he’s not subject to the same security debacle you and I are.

Dick Richard on February 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM

He’s got some gall saying that, but frankly I hope it translates into something classy and magnifique, like “J’ai le poo-poo baton de boom.”

Christien on February 11, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Totally right Jazz! Thats why guns should be accessible wherever you are in the house, loaded, and maybe even pointed at things that might do you harm.

If your gun is safely stored away from children, etc, that defeats the purpose. If it is not loaded, that defeats the purpose. If the safety is on, that defeats the purpose. Aiming the gun takes time too, so every gun should be loaded and primed to fire in the direction you think a person, perhaps ISIS, is attempting to enter your home.

antisense on February 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Shouldn’t trump be arrested then? Cuz guns are illegal in NYC last I checked…
nonpartisan on February 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Talk about stupid, and unaware, for history to record.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2016 at 5:20 PM

antisense on February 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Naw – that’s what the claymore mines are for.

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2016 at 5:39 PM

cozmo on February 11, 2016 at 2:05 PM

Then I stand corrected … the mental-picture I got, was of a 2½” barrel, with almost no recoil.

listens2glenn on February 11, 2016 at 5:43 PM

antisense on February 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM

That’s just genius!! We could keep the ammo in a jar of oil too, to speed up loading.

WryTrvllr on February 11, 2016 at 6:04 PM

so every gun should be loaded and primed to fire

antisense on February 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM

I under up with a lot of kids using that method.

HonestLib on February 11, 2016 at 6:16 PM

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Sure you do Rambo….you conceal carry a full size .45! Your claim may be true if:

1) you are over-compensating for something else missing in your life
2) you are the kind of guy who wears a trench coat 365 days a year
3) your aim so poor you think shooting a larger round will improve the odds in hitting a bad character
4) you feel tacti-cool wearing a full size holster for your hand cannon. Do you wear one of those nifty Miami Vice shoulder holsters?

ROTFLMFAO.

David in ATL on February 11, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Wow just wow. I am 5’2 and 118 pds. I personally carry a .380 on my person and conceal a High Point in my purse. My hubby who is 6′ and 320 pds carries a .45 at all times.

You are making an awful lot of assumptions there pal. I only carry the .380 because my petite frame prevents me from carrying my High point concealed on my person. And no I don’t carry the High Point to overcompensate or because i think i need a bigger bullet etc. I carry it because i prefer the way it feels in my hands , i prefer the heft and balance.

And as for my aim I am a DEAD shot tyvm , AND i have the Marksman medals from the ARMY to prove it. So to reiterate stop making assumptions because all you’re doing is making yourself look like a fool.

katee bayer on February 11, 2016 at 6:34 PM

katee. Nice post. Stay safe…. :-)

Indiana Jim on February 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM

antisense on February 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM

And THAT comment totally proves your HA moniker is completely appropriate. Anti sense indeed.

It takes all of 25 seconds for me to grab my gun from my hiding spot grab the clip from its seperate hiding location load it and click off the safety.

It also only takes me 4 and a half minutes to totally dissamble my AR15 and put it back together. Responsible fire arms owners can do all that stuff safely and easily with no harm to the little children.

Grow up, and learn the difference between the truth and the BS SJW ANTI- GUN grabber propaganda.

katee bayer on February 11, 2016 at 6:46 PM

katee. Nice post. Stay safe…. :-)

Indiana Jim on February 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Thanks, i couldn’t resist. I really don’t like the anti gun grabber smear tactics. they always try to make it seem like we are the unhinged ones when in reality they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about because they are so frightened of the big bad guns they can’t be bothered to learn the truth.

katee bayer on February 11, 2016 at 6:50 PM

they always try to make it seem like we are the unhinged ones…

katee bayer on February 11, 2016 at 6:50 PM

We are the unhinged ones. Makes life more interesting.

cozmo on February 11, 2016 at 6:54 PM

We are the unhinged ones. Makes life more interesting.

cozmo on February 11, 2016 at 6:54 PM

LOL speak for yourself Cozmo love, I may be an oddball what with my passel of trolls but i am in no way unhinged. I fully admit to being different from the majority of folks, but only because I have embraced the challenge of learning from my mistakes and the mistakes of those around me. I actually take the time to think before i do something stupid.

katee bayer on February 11, 2016 at 7:00 PM

katee bayer on February 11, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Have you ever heard a crazy person admit to being crazy.

Of course you haven’t…loon.

cozmo on February 11, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Have you ever heard a crazy person admit to being crazy.

Of course you haven’t…loon.

cozmo on February 11, 2016 at 7:03 PM

Actually yes I have. Met a guy when i was a teen who dropped a LOT of acid all at once and is now one of those unfortunate individuals on a perma trip…. He freely admitted he was crazy as a loon and never could tell if the fish coming out of the walls were really there or if they were Jesus toying with him. Some crazy folks do actually know they are nuts and admit to it. Some don’t though

katee bayer on February 11, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Dafyd on February 11, 2016 at 8:08 AM

Not on his private jet.

Who is John Galt on February 11, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Glock or 1911? I have a 1911 and have never owned a Glock…

ConstantineXI on February 11, 2016 at 9:15 AM

Glocks be sweet.

But there is not one for sale in the state of Texas since Christmas, so i had to settle for a nice little FNS made in S.Carolina. Just as sweet, and just as expensive.

Actually breaks down easier than a Glock.

Who is John Galt on February 11, 2016 at 10:12 PM

I no longer possess any firearms. Scary things to have in our modern age.

Just reminiscing of an earlier, less civilized, time.

cozmo on February 11, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Been to Bishop’s lake, I see.

Who is John Galt on February 11, 2016 at 10:18 PM

I am teenage girl. You sound like you are from either Cobb or Gwinnett.

HonestLib on February 11, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Cobb. Gwinnett is pretty sane (lived there 13 years). Cobb is too close to city-center ATL.

Who is John Galt on February 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM

katee bayer on February 11, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Awesome. I wish I had those skills/training. I only have rifle expert marksman from the USAF, my pistol skills are kinda weak. But at least I have a pistol…and if I ever have to use it, I have a good lawyer.

Who is John Galt on February 11, 2016 at 10:41 PM