John Lewis said he knew the Clintons in the civil rights era, but he didn’t always make that claim

posted at 10:01 pm on February 11, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

Poor Bernie Sanders. The guy can’t seem to catch a break. First the Congressional Black Caucus mostly endorses Hillary Clinton and then none other than civil rights icon Congressman John Lewis stands up to make a speech saying how he never saw Sanders at any marches supporting black citizens. But he did see the Clintons. (The Hill)

“To be very frank, I never saw him, I never met him,” Lewis said during the CBC PAC’s endorsement.

“I chaired the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee for three years, from 1963-1966. I was involved in sit-ins, Freedom Rides, the March on Washington, the March from Selma to Montgomery … but I met Hillary Clinton, I met President Clinton.”

As he spoke, someone in the crowd could be heard repeatedly saying “uh oh” and “tell it” as Lewis made his points.

Well, you don’t get much more of a living authority on the civil rights era than Lewis, so I guess that’s that, eh? Or maybe not. We received a tip about a rather fascinating book which everyone may want to rush out and have a look at. It’s an older volume, but it was written by Janis F. Kearney, who served as the Presidential Diarist to President Bill Clinton from 1995 – 2001. The book is titled Conversations: William Jefferson Clinton : from Hope to Harlem.

The tome contains this interesting section from a chapter on John Lewis. Here’s how it starts, with a bit of emphasis added:

The first time I heard of Bill Clinton was in the early ’70s. I was living in Georgia, working for the Southern Poverty Law organization, when someone told me about this young, emerging leader in Arkansas who served as attorney general, then later became governor.

Just a moment ago he was talking about his work from 1963-1966 when he had never met Sanders, but had met the Clintons. But he apparently told Bill’s diarist that he’d never heard of him until the early seventies. And mind you… that’s just when he heard of him. When did they actually meet? The chapter continues.

I think I paid more attention to him at the 1988 Democratic Convention, when he was asked to introduce the presidential candidate and took up far more time than was allotted to him. After he became involved with the Democratic Leadership Council, I would run into him from time to time. But it was one of his aides, Rodney Slater, who actually introduced us in 1991 and asked me if I would support his presidency.

So he had “run into him” from time to time and was finally introduced in 1991. It’s also worth noting that there is still zero mention of Hillary. If he had known her and not her famous husband, it seems like it would have come up in the conversation by now. But back to the question of dates, I’m not a history expert and math isn’t my strong suit, but I think 1991 was considerably after the march on Selma… possibly by almost 30 years. Further, Lewis has always had his finger on the pulse of black leaders who were in tune with the history and progress of civil rights. Perhaps some of them knew Bill and Hillary instead?

Rodney gets the credit for convincing me that Bill Clinton was “the man,” when he told me all he had done in Arkansas to help change the layout of that state. In the summer of 1991, I hosted a breakfast for him in the Rayburn building. Congressmen Mike Espy and Bill Jefferson were there. The three of us were trying to convince the Democratic Black Caucus to endorse Clinton. Most Northern members didn’t know him and wasn’t very interested. Only a few members of the black Caucus came to the breakfast, but those of us there had a wonderful discussion. Several staff people came from different offices, and they all came back to me later to say how wonderful he was.

What was so striking about Bill Clinton was that here was a governor and a presidential candidate, and he actually made you feel as if he knew he needed you. He was warm, engaging, and comfortable with the African American audience. We literally began to feel he was one of us. The people there were amazed to see this white Southerner so comfortable around blacks.

We’re talking about two famous individual who Congressman Lewis clearly stated had been involved with the civil rights movement dating back to the sixties. And yet when he was introducing Bill around in 1991 the other members of the Black Caucus were “amazed” that this southern white man was so comfortable around blacks? How amazing could it be if he’d been out there working on civil rights for the past thirty years? And if his wife was such an integral part of that noble effort, wouldn’t she have even merited a mention?

Somebody might want to ask the Congressman about this if they run into him.

lewis-mof

Comments

I swear they’re buying these people off.

cynccook on February 11, 2016 at 10:04 PM

John Lewis for all his past civil rights efforts is a Democrat Shill.

I believe he was the one who claimed he heard a racial slur on the steps of Congress from Tea Party Protesters?

He’s main objective on any committee is to obstruct, obfuscate and misdirect any factual investigation.

He’s a traitor to his oath, his race and his country.

jake1246 on February 11, 2016 at 10:06 PM

…lying liars gotta lie…but hey it’s the Clintons so…and just in time for SC…

Here’s My Shocked Face

…so if DirtBag Billie was the first Black POTUS, does that make That Skank the first Black First Lady..??…I wonder how Notorious B.I.G. feels about that…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 11, 2016 at 10:09 PM

John Lewis sold out to K Street so ago he still keeps the names of the people who tell him how to vote in a Rolodex.

M240H on February 11, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Excuse me, you lying, leftist, but how do you explain your statement today with what you said some years ago in Bill’s biography?

HiJack on February 11, 2016 at 10:10 PM

…he’s a bigot now!…he turned into…what he fought against.

JugEarsButtHurt on February 11, 2016 at 10:10 PM

“I was into civil rights before you were.”

Politics is such a sad freak show.

VinceOfDoom on February 11, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Perhaps more to the point, I didn’t hear Hillary denying his wonderful stories either. Surely she would have remembered all those marches with Lewis, eh?

Jazz Shaw on February 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Maybe once was a legitimate civil rights warrior….but has long ago been corrupted by the sweet, sweet taste of power and money.
Shut up, Mr. Lewis–your credibility is gone with the wind.

Doc Holliday on February 11, 2016 at 10:19 PM

…lying liars gotta lie…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 11, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Yeah, I am not impressed with John Lewis and do not believe what he says.

Fallon on February 11, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Bernie Sanders does have a civil rights arrest record-top that Hillary!

talkingpoints on February 11, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Jazz Shaw on February 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

She was the Joan Baez of the times..I’m sure she has stories with her southern accent-eating a moon pie.

bazil9 on February 11, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Yep. Lewis is the guy who lied about getting spit on during the tea party protests. Dude is just a liar.

KMav on February 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Time to quickly photoshop some Hillary heads into old Selma photos.

Oxymoron on February 11, 2016 at 10:26 PM

KMav on February 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Fading fame makes one long for the glories past. And it makes John Lewis an unrepentant liar. Unfortunately, many of those who were around at the time are just like him–Jesse, Al, name your favorite older race baiter here…they had a moment in the sun, and then gave into corruption when they sensed they could turn the movement into a profitable way to make money.

Doc Holliday on February 11, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Killary was also Jesse Owens track coach.

Bishop on February 11, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Amazing how a few can take one the luck of being somewhere in history and turn that into a lifelong monetary situation..forever and ever..

celt on February 11, 2016 at 10:29 PM

The parallels to the movie the Firm? Tell me the Clinton crime family is not the law firm in the movie…the Gene Hackman and Tom Cruise characters abound in the democratic party…

jafo on February 11, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Hildabeast graduated from High School in the Spring of 1965.

M240H on February 11, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Jazz Shaw on February 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

…it must be the concussion Alzheimers…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM

Jazz Shaw on February 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

So… Jazz… Will there be a QOTD… Or will your corporate masters punish us for not supporting Rubio McBush?

oscarwilde on February 11, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Let’s see if anyone calls Lewis on it … Odds against are, what, 25 to 1?

And on it being reported if he is asked, 50-to-1?

BD57 on February 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM

Once again, someone in black leadership plays the black voters for fools to support, yet another, Democrat who will do nothing for the people, but keep the black leadership in power. IF Black lives really mattered they’d be changing leadership because the present group has failed them.

bflat879 on February 11, 2016 at 10:48 PM

May a hearty and long lived gerbil of Democrat lying make a Richard Gere-like entrance into Mr. Lewis and take up an aggravating and eradicable dwelling that allows him to emit copious audible flatulence whenever Mr. Lewis opens his mouth to lie.

Mason on February 11, 2016 at 11:06 PM

Bill Clinton was 17 in 1963; Hillary was a 16 year old high school sophomore. Not likely Lewis had heard of either of them, much less met either of them.

TxSaintFan on February 11, 2016 at 11:07 PM

His skin color is dark brown for a reason. He’s a lying thug thats full of dodo.

hardrock230 on February 11, 2016 at 11:13 PM

bflat879 on February 11, 2016 at 10:48 PM

…agreed…but let’s be honest…our leadership (White, Black whatever) has failed us…

…none of us seem to matter much anymore…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 11, 2016 at 11:15 PM

As Txsaintfan says, in 63 they were teens. In 64 Shillary was a Goldwater girl. And wasn’t Bubbaenamored of J. William Fulbright? A senator never known for his assistsnce to the civil rights movement. Dems have problems with recall. In his ghost written biography Barky gave the address he stayed at in his Columbia days as being in Spanish Harlem, but the address was on the west side near Columbia and the General Grant houses, nowhere near Lexington Avenue where Spanish Harlem starts.

xkaydet65 on February 11, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Jazz Shaw on February 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

oscarwilde on February 11, 2016 at 10:44 PM

……guess which?

williamg on February 11, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Lewis’s claims are ridiculous, unless he is using Clintonesque language.

Bill and Hillary Clinton have both written autobiographies. If they had been so heavily involved in the civil rights movement during 1963 to 1966 that they would have known John Lewis, surely they would have mentioned that. But they were in high school and college respectively, and while they were sympathizers with the civil rights movement, they were mostly cheering it on from afar, not hanging around with the civil rights leadership.

But maybe Lewis is just speaking in Bill Clintonese.

“I never saw him [Bernie Sanders], I never met him.” [in the 1960s]
“I chaired the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee for three years, from 1963-1966. I was involved in sit-ins, Freedom Rides, the March on Washington, the March from Selma to Montgomery.” [in the 1960s]
“… but I met Hillary Clinton, I met President Clinton.” [in the 1990s]

J.S.K. on February 11, 2016 at 11:41 PM

Strike “respectively” from my previous comment.

J.S.K. on February 11, 2016 at 11:42 PM

So a liberal democrat is a lying dog. And bears poop in the woods.

Alabama Infidel on February 12, 2016 at 12:02 AM

Clinton didn’t serve as AG until ’76. Not so much the “early 70’s” – is it? Didn’t become governor until ’79.

Hill60 on February 12, 2016 at 12:09 AM

Is it more surprising that they’d all cook up this lie together and tell it, or that there are people dumb enough to believe it?

While we’re at it, I knew Gen. Patton. We marched down a muddy road together in France when his jeep got stuck. Great guy, loved the chiclets from his c-rats.

BobM88 on February 12, 2016 at 12:11 AM

Maybe Shrillary was trying to enlist in the Marines while dodging sniper fire from NASA on the day of Selma and just missed John Lewis by like 5 minutes. So it’s kind of true.

Flange on February 12, 2016 at 12:17 AM

My, my. John Lewis a water carrier for Democrats? and loose with the truth?

Who knew?

Lolo on February 12, 2016 at 1:05 AM

Jazz Shaw on February 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Not after the trauma of sniper fire.

Dick Richard on February 12, 2016 at 1:44 AM

John Lewis…. great mind of the Western world, and a legend in his own mind. Another loser who is riding the coattails of MLK, from 50 years ago. They think that makes them privileged.

ultracon on February 12, 2016 at 2:48 AM

I pushed QoTD back by one slot rather than sitting on the book story until morning because nobody else seemed to have it. Publish or perish sort of thing.

Jazz Shaw on February 12, 2016 at 5:18 AM

Jazz Shaw on February 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

bazil9 on February 11, 2016 at 10:22 PM

The Harvard Leftist Democrats who founded and ran the National Lampoon back in the late 1960s and early 1970s put out a record called “National Lampoon’s Radio Dinner” that had a couple of brutal parodies of music stars of the day. The funniest was their spot-on satire of John Lennon called “Magical Misery Tour” Warning: NOT work-friendly!

But on that same album, they also did Joan Baez. It’s even less work-friendly (or anything-friendly!) than the Lennon satire, so much so that I’m surprised that the tolerant Democrats who run youtube haven’t pulled it yet!

Pull the Triggers

Del Dolemonte on February 12, 2016 at 7:18 AM

How many people supporting Hillary are funded by or receive favors from the Clinton Foundation?

albill on February 12, 2016 at 7:30 AM

Leftists lie.

If a conservative lies, the Media is all over it 24/7.
But they actively avoid covering the lies (and other misdeeds) of their fellow travelers.

justltl on February 12, 2016 at 7:33 AM

John Lewis has always been and always will be a pimp.

Younggod on February 12, 2016 at 7:47 AM

Can someone please explain how getting beat up once 40 years ago qualifies you for being an “icon”? How about holding him accountable for their horrendous voting record pushing destructive liberal policies on the very group of people he’s supposedly a “leader” to?

crowmangler on February 12, 2016 at 7:52 AM

Jazz Shaw on February 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

bazil9 on February 11, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Ah the memories. I remember living in the south in the 50’s; my dad stopping at an old two pump gas station–you know the one with the sodas in the box outside filled with water and ice and you would slide the bottle around the rack inside to get your soda out and then pop the cap with the bottle opener on the side of the box. Grapette, Orange Crush, Dr. Pepper, Coke, a chocolate mile drink (don’t remember the name)or… drumroll… RC Cola.

It was always an RC for me. An RC and a Moon Pie were a match made in heaven.

Which reminds me. Lewis is little more than a cow pie in the great scheme of things. And a lying cow pie at that.

BMF on February 12, 2016 at 8:17 AM

Ask Mr Lewis what he did with that ‘evidence’ that sharks still congregate along the sea-lanes from Africa to the Carolina’s since the slave ship days? Go ahead, LSM ask him.

As in the case of King Putt, John Lewis is another:
Complete and Utter Fraud.

He learned this technique with Je$$ie Hymetown Jack$on.

The book is hard to find but worth a read: ShakedownHow Jessie Jackson coerced money from Wall Street firms.And the Negros wonder why their progress is retarded.

Stupid Americans.

Missilengr on February 12, 2016 at 9:08 AM

John Lewis has always been and always will be a pimp.

Younggod on February 12, 2016 at 7:47 AM

Certainly a nadir in congressional dim bulb technology. Perhaps that is why they’re outlawing incandescents?

RL on February 12, 2016 at 9:09 AM

I’m sure he met Bill during the civil rights marches. Bill was probably either throwing rocks at him or holding one of the hoses.

LoganSix on February 12, 2016 at 9:12 AM

Well, he’s used to those black boys getting him coffee and stuff.

LoganSix on February 12, 2016 at 9:15 AM

If you’re a Democrat, you lie. It’s what you do.

/New Geico ad

mankai on February 12, 2016 at 9:21 AM

John Lewis is a liar. He has always been a liar. His lies have served him well. They have gotten him a congressional seat for life and a vast amount of wealth.
Didn’t he claim to be spit on by tea partiers a few years back – a claim that could never be substantiated?

maryo on February 12, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Even if bubba went to protest marches back in the 60s, i would bet my paycheck that he only went there to meet girls. The problem with all of this crap is that its so easy to disprove and yet the media laps it up. Just like bubba’s recollection of burning churches or kerry’s time in cambodia “seared” into his mind. A liitle bit of journalistic effort the lies would be exposed.

jaywemm on February 12, 2016 at 9:41 AM

albill on February 12, 2016 at 7:30 AM

All of them.

maryo on February 12, 2016 at 9:52 AM

A complete sell out. No honor, no integrity, but gladly lie for dollars.

Lee Jan on February 12, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Did Cankles participate in all of these civil rights marches before or after she defended the child rapist?

maryo on February 12, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Del Dolemonte on February 12, 2016 at 7:18 AM

My favorite Joan Baez song.

Irony runs deep.

Oldnuke on February 12, 2016 at 3:41 PM

His veracity is matched only by his clarity of speech.

Mason on February 12, 2016 at 4:51 PM

are you trying to tell me a democrat LIES

telephone2 on February 12, 2016 at 6:07 PM

He wondered if may the Justice was engaged in h0mosexual activity when he died.

IDontCair on February 13, 2016 at 7:22 PM