I suppose we should talk about that Doritos ultrasound ad

posted at 8:01 am on February 8, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

So the NFL season has ended with a bang. (Not to mention paying off for me in the Hot Air Super Bowl thread. Insert victory dance on Ed’s lawn here.) But in case you either didn’t watch it or tuned out during the commercials, you’re likely seeing some potentially confusing headlines and social media posts this morning. They deal with one of the advertisements from Doritos which might not have grabbed all that much attention were it not for the reaction from some in the pro-abortion community. The advertisement features an expecting couple at the doctor’s office (or possibly in a hospital) where mom is getting an ultrasound. The baby looks healthy and fine, but dad is paying very little attention to the procedure because he’s eating Doritos, much to his wife’s consternation. Then he notices that when he waves a Dorito chip over mom’s belly, the baby follows the motion, straining to get the snack. The finish is, well… a little disturbing for some, but here’s the ad anyway.

The reason I say “disturbing” (at least in my house) comes on two levels and it has nothing to do with the social media flap we’ll get to in a moment. The end of the advertisement struck a negative chord with my better half because of the idea of a preemie baby suddenly shooting across the office floor, casting a less funny tone on the whole thing. As for me, well… I had to make a rather embarrassing admission after some soul searching. I grew up in a Ward Cleaver era household where dad usually experienced the delivery from the waiting room, (if not the bar across the street) waiting to be informed when everything had been cleaned up and the baby was made presentable. All the stuff that took place in the delivery room was, well… you know.

But that’s not the sort of reaction which caught the attention of everyone else. The pro-abortion community, as embodied by NARAL, found the ad disgusting because it portrayed the fetus as (*gasp*) a person who might want some snack chips. Sarah Rumpf at National Review explains.

What’s causing controversy is the portrayal of that unborn baby as one with an actual human personality. As NRO’s Jay Nordlinger noted earlier, the ad dares to portray the unborn child as human, and “not a meaningless blob of protoplasm.”

The pro-abortion activist group NARAL tweeted its disapproval, criticizing Doritos for “using #antichoice tactic of humanizing fetuses.”

By showing a “fetus” as not a “clump of cells” but a tiny human being, Doritos exposed the weakness of the pro-abortion worldview: The commitment to denying the humanity of the unborn child is in conflict with basic common sense. Those who prefer to describe their side as “pro-choice” cannot tolerate any evidence that shows the human life that “choice” could be ending.

The backlash to NARAL’s Twitter rant briefly took up more of my timeline than comments on the actual football game. It was hilarious in a gallows humor sort of way, but it also typified how far out of touch NARAL is on the subject.

One thing which didn’t get quite as much attention during all of this was the fact that this wasn’t really even an advertisement from Doritos. Yes, it was selling their product, but it wasn’t cooked up at their HQ or by their chosen advertising agency. The ultrasound ad was the winner of their “Crash the Super Bowl” contest which has been going on for ten years now. (And has produced many memorable ads.) The spot was produced by contest entrants along with thousands of others, with the winner to be shown during the big game. Further, the winner was picked by the fans, getting national exposure along with a one million dollar prize. It will also be the last year they run the competition. (Business Insider)

Business Insider spoke to Dortios-owner Frito-Lay’s chief marketing officer Ram Krishnan to find out why.

He said: “It was 2006 when we created this program. The context was different. The consumer target was millennials, MySpace was the number one website, Facebook was only in college dorms, the iPhone hadn’t launched. At that time the notion was: can you actually have consumers create content?”

He continued: “Fast forward to 2016, the landscape has changed. Consumers are grown up. Millennial consumers are now having kids. The Gen Z consumers are now our core target — most consumers are already digitally native and they’re content creators. They have their own social networks.”

So there it is. The ad did the job of drawing a tremendous amount of attention to the brand, made a name for some young and upcoming filmmakers and NARAL pretty much made fools of themselves. I’m not “offended” by the ad nor do I think they shouldn’t have run it. It’s just a matter of personal preference. (And I’ll still happily buy their delicious chips.)

DoritosAd

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Something tells me you’re going to be the classless loser when Trump is sworn in.

Younggod on February 8, 2016 at 9:57 AM

If it were to come to that- DAMN STRAIGHT.

Fortunately, Trump is so unelectable that you howlers will have to deal with the reality of President Clinton beating your boy silly despite being under a cloud from the FBI indictments.

Happy Nomad on February 8, 2016 at 10:16 AM

And you call Trump supporters howlers. Guess it’s true – Takes one to know one.

wifarmboy on February 8, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Loving it…

Kuffar on February 8, 2016 at 10:31 AM

…sexist tropes of dads as clueless…

It’s progressive Hollywood that generated and perpetuated that meme.

Attempting to be counter-cultural to the Father Knows Best television meme where the man works during the day and dispenses fatherly wisdom to his children while the mom bakes in the kitchen, Hollywood decided that every father needed to be Homer Simpson and in need of the level-headed mother to set the family straight.

You gave us Tim Taylor. You gave us Ray Barone. You gave us Peter Griffin. This is on you, progs.

And also, how is there a “sexist trope” regarding “moms” and “dads” if the “fetus” is not a human, and therefore, they are not explicitly shown to be parents (no evidence of prior children)?

The Schaef on February 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM

NARAL is just pissed that one got away.

Apparently they believe that a magic spell imbues a clump of cells with humanity at the precise moment that it exits the birth canal.

James on February 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Nothing heavy from me. I thought the ad was hilarious. The ending was so unexpected and fast that I it made me belly laugh right out loud.

Sue Pratt on February 8, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Me and my MIL as well!

cptacek on February 8, 2016 at 10:34 AM

When I was about 7 months pregnant with my daughter I had an ultrasound. I guess my daughter must have either heard the vibration of the machine or felt the technician pushing on my stomach because she went from a profile to looking full on straight at the ultrasound. She was totally aware of it. When I was pregnant with my son whenever I played music he would move more. These NARAL hags (if they have had kids) know full well that a person is in there. To deny that is evil. Having said that using a stupid commercial to try to score pro-abortion points strikes me as desperate and ridiculous.

neyney on February 8, 2016 at 10:42 AM

The whole family belly laughed at my house. We voted it best SB ad, and it wasn’t close.

Serious Drivel on February 8, 2016 at 10:42 AM

My brother and I are very pro-life and we both laughed out loud at the end and even used the DVR to run it back a few times. The ad was hysterical.

Occams Stubble on February 8, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Sounds like a sad little Nomad needs to taken out for a gay old time.

M240H on February 8, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Some do.

Walter L. Newton

They can’t help it. Producing all that monkey feces puts a lot of unnecessary pressure on their brains.

xblade on February 8, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Gotta love the ultrasound.

CWforFreedom on February 8, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Is NARAL opposed to prenatal care?

Bertram Cabot Jr. on February 8, 2016 at 10:51 AM

NARAL is disgusting!

Also, the commercial clearly starts with the doctor saying the baby will be coming “any day now.” It’s not a premie baby.

My daughter and daughter in-law are both having babies in the next few months, as well as 2 other extended family members.

So we have babies all over the place here and we laughed at the commercial. I have ultrasound photos in my phone that I love to flash around to my friends. lol I am a typical grandmother already.

This was a smart commercial to make. Definitely fit for millennials and the grandparents, like me.

Elisa on February 8, 2016 at 11:02 AM

NARAL is behind the times

The party line is that it’s a baby if the mother says so. If she says it’s not a baby, then it’s not. The mother’s feelings have the magical power to determine whether it’s a baby. Party of science, right?

2YEP598 on February 8, 2016 at 8:28 AM

+1!

ITguy on February 8, 2016 at 11:04 AM

I didn’t think the baby was a preemie. Doesn’t the doctor say “Any day now.” in the beginning?

sisterchristian on February 8, 2016 at 11:05 AM

I’m about as anti-abortion as one can get, yet I laughed out loud at that commercial. It was funny.

The Rogue Tomato on February 8, 2016 at 11:08 AM

sisterchristian on February 8, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Elisa on February 8, 2016 at 11:11 AM

I laughed so hard at that one I scared the dog! C’mon, NARAL didn’t care one bit about the presentation of the dad or mom – they just included that to pad the tweet, and sound more ‘inclusive’.

Marcola on February 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM

NARAL deserves pretty much everything negative comment it gets for complaining that the ad humanizes the baby. Me, I was just wincing at the idea of the kid pushing his way out. That’s not happening without a whole lot of bleeding involved.

Count to 10 on February 8, 2016 at 11:27 AM

that @Doritos ad using #antichoice tactic of humanizing fetuses

Yeah! How awful, humanizing a human fetus!

whatcat on February 8, 2016 at 11:28 AM

I thought the ending was pretty tasteless myself, but once I found out that it pissed off the pro-abortion people I decided I was all for it.

Tom Servo on February 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM

My group laughed and then got quiet cause it was so weird and then we laughed more. Someone said “damn he aborted himself,” then we ate more pizza. Everyone needs to chill.

libfreeordie on February 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM

libfreeordie on February 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM

That is interesting that someone in your group thought that was a self abortion. I saw it as a straight young male making the passage of life from a warm cozy place to the cruel world to only…spend the rest of his life trying to get back in. With a bunch of beer runs in between.

Now that is just me.

HonestLib on February 8, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Tom Servo on February 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Could have been worse – the baby could have gone “Alien” to get at the chips.

whatcat on February 8, 2016 at 11:40 AM

So what happens at a NARAL office if a female employee becomes pregnant?

Are they forced to have an abortion?

Do they throw a baby shower?

Do they pay for the woman’s healthcare?

What about maternity leave?

Are they following all the federal government mandates regarding pregnancy?

Do they even hire women of child bearing age?

What about the men who have pregnant wives?

Do they shame them into making their wives have abortions?

redguy on February 8, 2016 at 11:40 AM

NARAL is behind the times

2YEP598 on February 8, 2016 at 8:28 AM

Well done. Exactly my thoughts as I read Ed’s post just now.

roy_batty on February 8, 2016 at 11:41 AM

My sons were both born C-section.

The first one I could film. It was fascinating. I got right in there and the doctors were cool.

3 years later they changed the rules and I could not film.

I love watching that video on my sons birthday.

redguy on February 8, 2016 at 11:43 AM

A news reporter I “liked” on facebook (she’s a daughter of a friend) posted that she liked the Top 5 SB commercials, except for this one.

I have a hunch she’s pro-abortion. Bummer if she is.

22044 on February 8, 2016 at 11:52 AM

NARAL and their radical, crazed abortion fanatics make up nothing more than a death cult. It’s just that simple. Other murder factory outlets were complaining about the ad featuring kids singing to the Seal song, because that ‘problem’ would’ve been taken care of with condoms.

These are sick, diseased minds.

changer1701 on February 8, 2016 at 11:56 AM

The NFL? What’s that?

Mr. Arrogant on February 8, 2016 at 11:58 AM

The NARAL tweet is idiotic.
This ad was pro-Doritos.
That is all.

verbaluce on February 8, 2016 at 11:58 AM

The media humanizes everything. Animals, inanimate objects, storms, but don’t you dare humanize a human!

Buddahpundit on February 8, 2016 at 12:01 PM

The idea that the ad was “disturbing” is just sad.

What if the whole ad was animated ? Hey, cartoon violence / baby birth, right ?

Well, that’s exactly what it was, just without the animation.

Lighten up, Francis.

deadrody on February 8, 2016 at 12:02 PM

FIFY.

Tlaloc on February 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM

The NARAL tweet is idiotic.
This ad was pro-Doritos.
That is all.

verbaluce on February 8, 2016 at 11:58 AM

I must live in a 30 pack because I had no idea what or who is a NARAL.

Comes with being a RedNeck I guess.

HonestLib on February 8, 2016 at 12:05 PM

All five women in the room were first crooning, “awww!”, then belly laughing at the Doritos add. The truly disturbing add was the “puppy, monkey, baby” Mountain Dew ad.

RubyBee on February 8, 2016 at 12:08 PM

The NARAL tweet is idiotic.
This ad was pro-Doritos.
That is all.

verbaluce on February 8, 2016 at 11:58 AM

I must live in a 30 pack because I had no idea what or who is a NARAL.

Comes with being a RedNeck I guess.

HonestLib on February 8, 2016 at 12:05 PM

It’s a kind of whale.

verbaluce on February 8, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Oh yes, God forbid that we “humanize” a human fetus! Doesn’t the belief that there is some magical, dare I say God like, process that occurs when a fetus becomes a “legal” baby upon exiting the birth canal? Or do judges have god like powers?

The abortion enthusiasts are just showing their fundamentalist fear that a baby in the womb might be considered any more than a “clump of cells” akin to a fingernail.

DimsdalePiranha on February 8, 2016 at 12:11 PM

What makes NARAL even more pathetic was their responses to the “Super Bowl Babies” line of commercials.

TQM38a on February 8, 2016 at 12:13 PM

This could only be better if a rival chip company – Pringles, for example – tweeted “we stand with NARAL.” Not only would it have been (darkly) humorous, it would have accentuated how ghoulish a position NARAL takes.

Crispian on February 8, 2016 at 12:18 PM

FIFY.
Tlaloc on February 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Wait… Objective biological reality is anti woman?

This is all so confusing.

anuts on February 8, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Many of you don’t have a sense of humor, as usual.

And, you just must inject your hack politics into everything.

Moesart on February 8, 2016 at 12:35 PM

I thought it was funny – I kinda felt wrong somehow laughing at it – but I couldn’t help it.
My wife hated it.

Also thought the sheep singing the Queen song was pretty funny.
Overall, though – not a great batch of commercials this year.

dentarthurdent on February 8, 2016 at 12:45 PM

NARAL is just pissed that one got away.

James on February 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Assuming it leaves the birth canal in one piece, of course. Otherwise it’s still not human.

lovesthesun on February 8, 2016 at 12:50 PM

If Naral doesn’t like it, I’m all in, Going out and buying the biggest bag of Doritos I can find.

kirkill on February 8, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Didn’t enter my mind that hilarious commercial would offend anyone. Wow. I guess they don’t want even a hint that they are ending a life.

TerryW on February 8, 2016 at 1:11 PM

kirkill on February 8, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Get the rainbow doritos if you want to help fund the LGBTQX people…..

dentarthurdent on February 8, 2016 at 1:12 PM

DimsdalePiranha on February 8, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Compare/contrast their worldview to that of our Founders:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident…endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are LIFE”

ITguy on February 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM

By showing a “fetus” as not a “clump of cells” but a tiny human being, Doritos exposed the weakness of “the anti-woman view of biology”

FIFY.

Tlaloc on February 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM

In what way? Do you propose that no babies are female?

I’m surprised you would react this way. Any baby who can recognize Doritos and voluntarily exit the womb in pursuit of them is clearly able to survive “without additional medical attention”.

Though there’s not much to be said for his taste in snacks.

The Schaef on February 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Someone said “damn he aborted himself,” then we ate more pizza.

libfreeordie on February 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM

The baby is clearly heard crying at the end of the commercial. Your friend is an idiot.

The Schaef on February 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Failed to FIFY.

Tlaloc on February 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Edited for accuracy. :)

22044 on February 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Wait… Objective biological reality is anti woman?

This is all so confusing.

anuts on February 8, 2016 at 12:25 PM

You didn’t have to take SJW 101 in college, where they teach indoctrinate the plebes that biology is sexist?

22044 on February 8, 2016 at 1:40 PM

The Schaef on February 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Tlaloc contradicting himself within the same moronic statement has to be some sort of record.

Teach me how to Bucky on February 8, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Jazz
I think the pro-sex NFL commercial could also be tied in to this discussion. Just look at all those humanized fetuses singing in “Super Bowl Babies Choir” feat. Seal .

When I saw the ad last night I said “look another pro life commercial like the Doritos one.”

Is there an uproar over this one?

Brat on February 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM

It’s a kind of whale.

verbaluce on February 8, 2016 at 12:10 PM

+1. It’s the unicorn of the sea!

CivilDiscourse on February 8, 2016 at 2:24 PM

I really dislike Doritos, but the ad made me laugh out loud. It was just as silly and funny as their other ads. I can’t believe it’s become a political issue. Lighten up, NARAL. Have some Doritos.

flataffect on February 8, 2016 at 2:29 PM

My goodness. They complained about this? Ask anyone who has ever seen an ultrasound and they will tell you it’s not a clump of cells. NARAL maybe if their parents had gotten rid of them while they were “cells” we wouldn’t be having this conversation. RR

RoddREpub on February 8, 2016 at 2:50 PM

James on February 8, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Has something to do with certain biological compounds being exposed to a nitrogen rich atmosphere.

Oxymoron on February 8, 2016 at 2:51 PM

By showing a “fetus” as not a “clump of cells” but a tiny human being, Doritos exposed the weakness of the pro-abortion worldview in the anti-woman view of biology.
Sarah Rumpf @nationalreview.com February 7, 2016 11:50 PM

FIFY.

Tlaloc on February 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Maybe if I delete that “strike” portion, and look at it again … the different perspective might help.

By showing a “fetus” as not a “clump of cells” but a tiny human being, Doritos exposed the weakness in the anti-woman view of biology.

Nope, still doesn’t make sense … you’re gonna hafta explain it.

But will you return?

listens2glenn on February 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM

By the way, were my eyes playing tricks on me, or was there a confederate battle flag mixed in with the other flags in the pre-game “God bless America”?

Count to 10 on February 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM

The ad isn’t supposed to be taken seriously. Only NARAL takes it seriously.

grumpyank on February 8, 2016 at 3:42 PM

I must live in a 30 pack because I had no idea what or who is a NARAL.

Comes with being a RedNeck I guess.

HonestLib on February 8, 2016 at 12:05 PM

National Abortion Rights League. Pro-abortion, obviously.

Count to 10 on February 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM

No problem. The Confederacy is and always has been a part of the United States of America. Like it or not! :D

ReggieA on February 8, 2016 at 3:43 PM

The commercial may hopefully decrease the sales of baby parts at Planned Parenthoods, I mean the American Death Camps.

Krupnikas on February 8, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Nope, still doesn’t make sense … you’re gonna hafta explain it.

listens2glenn on February 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM

It’s the view that demonstrates its hatred of women by utilizing scientific studies instead of Webster’s Dictionary to draw conclusions on scientific subjects.

The Schaef on February 8, 2016 at 4:48 PM

libfreeordie on February 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Fascinating. So the group you hang with thinks the most common way for pregnancy to end up is with an abortion, or that it should? And why did you assume male fetus? (I’ll watch it again to be sure)

WryTrvllr on February 8, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Tlaloc on February 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Nope, still doesn’t make sense … you’re gonna hafta explain it.
listens2glenn on February 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM

The Schaef on February 8, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Since you’re speaking for him, I guess he never returned . . . . . maybe if I took a big, deep breath, and held it

Did Tlaloc finally embarrassed him so bad, that he won’t come back?

listens2glenn on February 8, 2016 at 6:01 PM

him = himself . . . . . !#&!!@%!!$

listens2glenn on February 8, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Disturbing would have been if Carolina had tried to catch the kid and fumbled

Laura in Maryland on February 8, 2016 at 6:31 PM

you guys are so wrong as always. no one cares about this ad everyone is all #PUPPYMONKEYBABY and how Beyoncé SLAYED. get with it.

brushingmyhair on February 8, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Count to 10 on February 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM

I saw that also. I think it was the Mississippi State flag which still incorporates the Confederat flag.

BTW I loved the all Dorito commercials.

diogenes on February 8, 2016 at 10:28 PM

One wonders how NARAL members reproduce — if at all.

unclesmrgol on February 8, 2016 at 10:51 PM

If they hated the Doritos commercial, they must have absolutely detested the Super Bowl Babies Choir.

unclesmrgol on February 8, 2016 at 11:07 PM

What kind of fetus is it?

A chicken fetus? A canine fetus? A cow fetus?

A human fetus, of course. So how is it wrong to humanize a human?

There Goes the Neighborhood on February 8, 2016 at 11:56 PM

Actually what disturbs me more is the image of NARAL nags watching the Superbowl at all. Short-cropped uptight, in unsightly youth sized working boots waiting for some slight or infraction on their peace of mind. This is the best outrage they could muster – and unwittingly pointed out that a fetus is a human baby. How very disturbing for everyone!

virgo on February 9, 2016 at 12:29 AM

Funniest Ad of the day.
F-’em if they can’t take a joke!

kregg on February 9, 2016 at 5:22 AM

Since you’re speaking for him, I guess he never returned

listens2glenn on February 8, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Don’t take my word for it: I don’t make a claim unless I can back it up. You may remember participating in this gem:

Given that this is incredibly basic biology there’s no need to dig up a paper on it. You just need to understand the definition of organism.

Tlaloc on September 1, 2015 at 6:24 PM

He literally quoted the dictionary definition of an organism and presented it as the whole of his scientific argument. There are over 1800 scientific papers that dispute the claim he made in that thread.

But yeah, don’t count on him being back. Once he leaves a thread, it ceases to exist for him, and never beyond the original day of posting.

The Schaef on February 9, 2016 at 9:48 AM

FIFY.

Tlaloc on February 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Made it infinitely more confusing, you mean.

It’s a kind of whale.

verbaluce on February 8, 2016 at 12:10 PM

OK, that was actually funny.

TQM38a on February 8, 2016 at 12:13 PM

I found those to be creepy because of the “NFL is Family” tagline. That was just creepy weird.

The truly disturbing add was the “puppy, monkey, baby” Mountain Dew ad.

RubyBee on February 8, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Yes! I said to co-workers that a great follow-on ad would be by a firearms company. That … creature waltzes in and the one guy draws and blows it away. The three guys are then standing around it, and one pokes it with his toe and asks “is that like a chupacabra or something?” Another says “I don’t know, but it’s a good thing you were packing your _insertnameofcompanyhere_ or it might have eaten us or something!”

GWB on February 9, 2016 at 11:16 AM

One wonders how NARAL members reproduce — if at all.

unclesmrgol on February 8, 2016 at 10:51 PM

By fission… just like other bacteria.

GrumpyOldFart on February 10, 2016 at 8:52 AM