NFL Super Bowl 50 open thread

posted at 5:01 pm on February 7, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

Jazz: In the final weekend of the playoff section of our annual competition I finally accomplished what I never did throughout the entire regular season. By managing to get one of the games right (thanks, Broncos!) I pulled even with Ed at a 5-5 record. So we’re all tied going into the final, bright shiny game. (6:30 pm, CBS) Of course, as soon as I began pondering the prospects of the two teams I developed a sneaking suspicion that Ed and I would pick the same result. But who knows? Perhaps not. And even if things go against me, we’ve got Cold Play and Beyonce doing the halftime show, so that’s, er… something, I guess? Seriously, people. Who the heck decided Cold Play was a good idea? But I’m not going to let it bother me. I’ll be ordering a two foot long capacolla and provolone sub with lettuce, tomatoes and banana peppers for the big game and eating myself into a coma. SPORT!

Ed: It all comes down to the last game, right? And this matchup really does put the NFL’s best on the field for the championship. I asked this question on Twitter the other day: when was the last time both #1 seeds ended up in the Super Bowl? It was actually last year, and that turned out to be a heck of a game. Three of the last six Super Bowls have had the top two teams of the season. And this game has some extra added resonance, thanks to the two quarterbacks who will start. One is the future of the league, exuberant and fearless; the other is at the end of a storied career, a field general who changed the way the position is played. Put together a matchup between Denver’s #1 defense and Carolina’s top-scoring offense, and Super Bowl 50 shapes up as an epic battle — perhaps one for the ages.

Jazz: I put this off as long as I could. I’ve analyzed the expert opinions on the subject. I’ve studied the injury reports and the stats. There’s really only one conclusion to draw from all of this. These are two excellent defenses, but one really good offense against one excellent offense. The Broncos simply don’t have the ground game to match up against Carolina’s front line, and for that matter, as much as we may love Manning, some of the speed and accuracy has worn off his passing arm after all these years. On top of that, Carolina has quite the ball hawking defense combined with a tough pass rush which will make him miserable all night. Cam Newton not only has a rocket for an arm, but if he’s under pressure he can run like a monster rushing back. If the Broncos held the Panthers to less than 100 yards on the ground they would be the first team to do so all season. So with all that said, why am I picking the Broncos to win 23-20? Because I’m a sucker for a feel good story and Manning has one more miracle left in him before he retires.

Ed: I’ll be honest — I’m rooting for Denver and Peyton Manning. I’d love to see him get one more ring before retiring, and his exit from the game is almost here. Denver has a great defense, and they should make it tough on Cam Newton. However, Carolina has a pretty good defense, too; they only gave up 0.8 points a game more than Denver’s D did in the regular season. On offense, Carolina scores more than eight points a game more than Denver. They get far ahead of their opponents and then tend to coast, but the Panthers managed to solve that problem two weeks ago against the Arizona Cardinals in their NFC Championship blowout. If great defenses win championships, both teams have them — and the Panthers have Newton and an explosive offense. And as much as I’d love to see Manning get a ring, I sure wouldn’t mind seeing Newton end up with one to finish up his storybook MVP season. I’ll pick the Panthers to win it 31-24, and for all of us to have a great time watching Super Bowl 50.

BroncosPatriots

Comments

Stupid water commercial. We’ve shown everyone around the world how to do it for over 100 years.

If they haven’t done it, it’s on them. Screw them. Better yet, they should screw their f-d up governments and fix it. Pitchforks used to work.

Who is John Galt on February 7, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Colgate goes with the guilt trip. Dumping on Central American kid drinking at the faucet.

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Yeah, that made no sense.

22044 on February 7, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Where is the puppy and the Clydesdales?

Fallon on February 7, 2016 at 10:18 PM

…….and the fat lady is just about ready to sing

woodhull on February 7, 2016 at 10:19 PM

No inspiring ads this year. It’s the Super Bowl. Inspire me. Make me believe in your product.

rbj on February 7, 2016 at 10:16 PM

I howled at this Audi ad a few years ago.

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2016 at 10:20 PM

thanks Tanked!

CoffeeLover on February 7, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Heh. Peyton gets a kiss on the cheek from Papa John.

22044 on February 7, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Well that didn’t go as I expected.

Well done, Denver!

Jeff Weimer on February 7, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Super Bowl Routine: No pregame; no halftime (I watched a little); and NO postgame.

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2016 at 10:23 PM

…defense does win!

JugEarsButtHurt on February 7, 2016 at 10:24 PM

The team with the prettier sideline reporter wins the game. :P

22044 on February 7, 2016 at 10:24 PM

Peyton’s getting that $1M check from Budweiser.

22044 on February 7, 2016 at 10:25 PM

It’s OVER?? [insert shocked expression here]

Duck out to get the clothes out of the drier and what happens? The game finishes… >:-(

Newtie and the Beauty on February 7, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Night all.

rbj on February 7, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Mjbrutus. You were saying about peyton manning?????? Lol!!!

Indiana Jim on February 7, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Night all.

rbj on February 7, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Niters and sleep well, RBJ…

Newtie and the Beauty on February 7, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Have a good night rbj

22044 on February 7, 2016 at 10:28 PM

Post Sports ✔ @PostSports
With Super Bowl 50 win, Peyton Manning solidifies place as NFL’s best QB ever http://wapo.st/1PvnB2X pic.twitter.com/m6FHwt5g3Y
Retweeted by Washington Post

CoffeeLover on February 7, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Newton not jumping on that loose ball when he had the best shot at it was the dagger. What was he thinking?

Zybalto on February 7, 2016 at 10:30 PM

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Yeah, that made no sense.

22044 on February 7, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Agree..i guess they want us to feel guilty in the midst of superbowl excess…oh well im buying crest or aim from now on.

jaywemm on February 7, 2016 at 10:30 PM

Congratulations to all the Bronc fans. Enjoyed the game here in Dallas knowing Jerry Jones was crying in his beer.

Limerick on February 7, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Mjbrutus. You were saying about peyton manning?????? Lol!!!

Indiana Jim on February 7, 2016 at 10:27 PM

We need to dispel the notion that Peyton Manning doesn’t know what he’s doing. He knows exactly what he’s doing.

fossten on February 7, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Disappointed as a Panthers fan but the Broncos won it fair and square – their lightening fast defense shut Cam down unfortunately.

At least Peyton Manning can retire a big winner and he is a class player in my book – so silver lining to every cloud.

celt on February 7, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Where is the puppy and the Clydesdales?

Fallon on February 7, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Right here. I hate budweizer

SpongePuppy on February 7, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Awesome Bronco defense. Great victory

cimbri on February 7, 2016 at 10:36 PM

LOL Joe Namath hit on me when I was twenty years old. I bet a hundred thousand young ladies can say that.

Fallon on February 7, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Right here. I hate budweizer

SpongePuppy on February 7, 2016 at 10:35 PM

But you love Clydesdales, right?

Fallon on February 7, 2016 at 10:37 PM

celt on February 7, 2016 at 10:32 PM

And you’re a classy fan.

fossten on February 7, 2016 at 10:38 PM

I bet a hundred ten-thousand young ladies can say that.

Fallon on February 7, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Wilt Chamberlain had the same libido…

ExpressoBold on February 7, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Peyton Manning is the ONLY QB ever to win Super Bowls with two different teams.

fossten on February 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM

Peyton Manning is the ONLY QB ever to win Super Bowls with two different teams.

fossten on February 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM

And as my wife pointed out, both “horsey” teams.

fossten on February 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM

Disappointed as a Panthers fan but the Broncos won it fair and square – their lightning fast defense shut Cam down unfortunately.

celt on February 7, 2016 at 10:32 PM

Likewise.

Galtian on February 7, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Cam…CAM…CAM!

Galtian on February 7, 2016 at 10:50 PM

Happy the Broncos won – not entirely expected though – glad Peyton gave the credit they deserved to the defense and that Vonn Miller got MVP (although I think Malik Jackson has been underrated for what he’s done).
Classy response by Ron Rivera after the game – I expect to see Carolina win (multiple?) Superbowls in the near future – IF they don’t tear apart the team.

dentarthurdent on February 7, 2016 at 10:55 PM

Fallon on February 7, 2016 at 10:36 PM

But did he succeed?

dentarthurdent on February 7, 2016 at 10:55 PM

But did he succeed?

dentarthurdent on February 7, 2016 at 10:55 PM

Nope. I thought he was old and gross… (1980)

Fallon on February 7, 2016 at 10:58 PM

good game …
glad Denver won…Panthers are young and will
be there again … maybe next year …
the commercials pretty much stunk …

conservative tarheel on February 7, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Peggy Lee – The Party’s Over

And, on that note, I bid Friends and Lurkers niters and sleep well!

Congratulations, Broncs–Better luck next time, Panthers…

Otto, it’s on you, Dude… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on February 7, 2016 at 11:48 PM

the commercials pretty much stunk …

conservative tarheel on February 7, 2016 at 11:24 PM

There was a crazy range of odd companies on the Commercial pallet. A lot I would not have thought could afford it.

Who is John Galt on February 7, 2016 at 11:50 PM

Am late to the rodeo here..but imho no one except Whitney has ever sung it like Lady Gaga..that girl can sing..listen to her duets with Tony Bennett and singing songs from Sound of Music. etc. etc.she is Julliard trained..good to see she has grown up..

Xango Annie on February 8, 2016 at 12:02 AM

ango Annie on February 8, 2016 at 12:02 AM

She did a good job, and gave the song the proper respect. And gave kudos to all the vets and active duty lined up behind her, in a nice dramatic theatrical fashion.

I give her an A for that performance.

Who is John Galt on February 8, 2016 at 12:56 AM

Cam Newton the whiny baby.

Sherman1864 on February 8, 2016 at 1:15 AM

Congrats to Bruno Mars…and the rest of the performers….it was actually a slick and professional show. The completely different acts transitioned and blended from one song to another with excellent flow.As well as combining all the acts at the end was a great touch.
If one looks at Bruno Mars SB halftime show….they seemed to have used the same methods to keep things smooth with no awkward movements and shots. It seems to have Bruno Mars showmanship fingerprints all over it. Great halftime show if not one of the best in SB history.
Plus congrats to Broncos, good game Panthers…:) Great Game!!

dec5 on February 8, 2016 at 1:44 AM

Newton is really committed to the game, demonstrated by his willingness to sacrifice his body to recover a fumble……
right?

Somewhere, Vince Lombardi is crying.

Another Drew on February 8, 2016 at 2:26 AM

Nice to see a Panther game without a bunch of players doing the “I’m better than you –squat and waddle —rub it in your face fool” antics

Oh wait !

THE PANTHERS LOST

SO WHOSE THE FOOL NOW CAMMMY ??? IN YO FACE MUTHUH NYUK NYUK

HAHAHAHAHAHHA

BigSven on February 8, 2016 at 5:30 AM

Mjbrutus. You were saying about peyton manning?????? Lol!!!

Indiana Jim on February 7, 2016 at 10:27 PM

My sport picks are as good as my political ones :-)

MJBrutus on February 8, 2016 at 6:09 AM

To quote the great Yogi,

Predictions are hard. Especially about the future.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2016 at 7:17 AM

The officiating SUCKS!

Cotchery clearly made that catch in the 1st quarter, but the refs nullified a 24-yard-gain. The refs want to pre-ordain a win for Denver so that Peyton Manning’s last game is a Super Bowl victory. The refs did the same thing for Jerome Bettis 10 years ago in Super Bowl XL.

OneVision on February 7, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Another conspiracy. Oh no./

Grow up.

The ball hit the ground.

Oh and the Steelers won.

Poor baby. About as classy as fossten.

CWforFreedom on February 8, 2016 at 7:29 AM

damn white privilege strikes again….

dmacleo on February 8, 2016 at 7:53 AM

Except for Phil Sims and his crush on Cam Newton (he threw it so hard the receiver couldn’t catch it! [???]) it was a good game.

oldernwiser on February 8, 2016 at 8:12 AM

damn white privilege strikes again….

dmacleo on February 8, 2016 at 7:53 AM

Thread winner.

jnelchef on February 8, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Peyton Manning is the ONLY QB ever to win Super Bowls with two different teams.

fossten on February 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM

And as my wife pointed out, both “horsey” teams.

fossten on February 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM

Of course, Peyton Manning also LOST Super Bowls with two different teams. He lost as a Bronco a couple of years ago to Seattle, but before that with the Colts he lost to New Orleans.

However, he’s not alone in that lost stat: Kurt Warner lost Super Bowls with both St. Louis and Arizona.

BTW after scrolling thru the threads I’m surprised that none of the BDSers whined about Tom Brady coming out while wearing shades. That’s probably because several other honorees (including Jerry Rice) had already also come out wearing shades?

Del Dolemonte on February 8, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Where is the puppy and the Clydesdales?

Fallon on February 7, 2016 at 10:18 PM

The NFL is abandoning St. Louis hurt their feelings.

Zaire67 on February 8, 2016 at 9:24 AM