Left spin cycle: Cruz and Rubio aren’t, you know… Latino Latino

posted at 4:01 pm on February 6, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

We’re having ourselves an historic presidential campaign in case you hadn’t noticed. Sure, we’ve only had one state vote so far, but a new record has been set. We now have not one, but two Hispanic candidates who have received more votes and more delegates than any other in the history of presidential primaries. This is a truly great day for diversity and the future of the American melting pot. Or at least it would be if either of them had been Democrats.

Sadly, the Party of the Donkey is running two very white senior citizens so the groundbreaking nature of the above cited accomplishment is cancelled out. As Roberto Suro at the New York Times helpfully points out, it doesn’t really count because Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio aren’t really all that Latino, ya know?

With Senator Ted Cruz taking nearly 28 percent of the vote and Senator Marco Rubio getting 23 percent, each vastly surpassed the results for any other Latino candidate in any previous United States presidential contest.

How is that not being celebrated as historic or at least worth a headline for a day or two?

The answer is not that complicated: Neither Mr. Cruz nor Mr. Rubio meets conventional expectations of how Latino politicians are supposed to behave.

Suro goes on to point out that neither Rubio nor Cruz claims to speak for the Hispanic population. Adding to their list of sins, they don’t embrace amnesty. Suro quotes (of all people) Univsion’s Jorge Ramos on this subject:

“There is no greater disloyalty than the children of immigrants forgetting their own roots. That is a betrayal,” he wrote. It is criticism that echoes the rhetoric aimed at Justice Clarence Thomas of the Supreme Court and other successful members of minority groups who are perceived as failing to uphold their own group’s interests.

This is the ironic – and perpetually insulting – reverse of the “fears” many Democrats had about Barack Obama during both elections. Would he be the President of all Americans or just black Americans? He was continually referred to as brave when he decided to talk about racial issues, but his own party always seemed to fear that his race also hindered him in being effective on that front. But when the conversation swings over to Republicans it’s simply a betrayal to not base your entire candidacy on your ethnic heritage.

I first caught wind of this story from Erick Erickson.

That’s right. Because Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz campaign as “America First” politicians on the campaign trail and do not play up racial/ethnic stereotypes and grievances, they are not really Latino politicians and no one is celebrating them.

In other words, it is not race, heritage, or ethnicity that makes one Latino, but having the right grievances.

This is nothing new for those who watch politics regularly and it doesn’t just apply to one demographic pigeonhole. Where were the celebrations on the left of the election of Nikki Haley? Not only a woman, but a woman of Indian descent who ascended to be the Governor of a southern state? You’d think somebody would have suggested replacing Susan B. Anthony on some coins with Haley’s face by now. But no… that didn’t count as a victory “for women,” because she didn’t run on a platform of, elect me and I’ll take care of the ladies! She ran as an American and a citizen of South Carolina who could fix their problems.

For that matter, how many Know Your Value type feminist leaders have been celebrating the election of Elise Stefanik, the youngest woman ever elected to Congress? Nope… still doesn’t count. That “R” after her name takes away a lot of points on that scale. And don’t even get me started on Senator Tim Scott. Democrats wince every time anyone mentions his name. They still control more than forty seats in the Senate. They couldn’t manage to elect one black candidate?

So even if Ted Cruz or (okay… I’ll say it…) Marco Rubio wind up being elected, don’t expect any massive parades in the streets or cover stories in Time Magazine celebrating the historic election of the first Latino President. It’s not going to happen, because it doesn’t count. At least not to the people who spend all their time keeping score.

rubio-cruz

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Lime in the Coconut on February 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM

as long as you do it legally it’s aok with me

gerrym51 on February 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Lime in the Coconut on February 6, 2016 at 5:57 PM

I do believe you’re taking it way too personally.

darwin on February 6, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Given the SCOTUS’ growing liberal bent on citizenship since World War II, I hope Trump and his Merry Band of Birthers put their money where their mouths are.

Lime in the Coconut on February 6, 2016 at 5:04 PM

Thanks for admitting that it takes a liberal SCOTUS, invoking the Living Constitution, to deny Original Intent and rule that Cruz is a natural born citizen.

cimbri on February 6, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Because their back isn’t wet from swimming the Rio Grande.

Posers!

trs on February 6, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Your comment is why natural born and not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty is so important in a president.

sharrukin on February 6, 2016 at 5:57 PM

I have never and would never want to be the leader of any country.

So, you don’t have to worry about any of that.

Lime in the Coconut on February 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Ted Cruz owed allegiance to a foreign sovereignty.

This sort of divided loyalty is what the founders were worried about.

sharrukin on February 6, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Should I not take being called a ‘slvt’ personally?

Lime in the Coconut on February 6, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Not only were you not called a “slvt” personally, but the person you keep slandering reiterated that several times; you friend Schadenfreude has reposted those comments, and told you you were misreading the comment several times as well:

I really haven’t a clue who Lime is nor what sex. And I did not call Lime a slut.

IDontCair on February 1, 2016 at 11:47 AM

But you insist on repeating this ad nauseam because of your hysterical victim mentality.

This is why people keep beating on you.

BTW: I am seriously thinking of not becoming any kind of American. I see how bigoted many of you are. You don’t want me here. Fine. I can go anywhere and, after what was bestowed upon me Monday night, I’m not sure why I would want to remain with ‘REAL Americans’ anyway.

Lime in the Coconut on February 6, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Spare us the pity party. Nobody cares. And if a couple of snarky comments on a blog have swayed your decision to naturalize, you were never serious anyway.

Jose K on February 6, 2016 at 6:07 PM

‘Limey’ by birth.

American by CHOICE.

But, considering how ‘REAL Americans’ feel about naturalised Americans, I’m thinking about calling the whole thing off.

Lime in the Coconut on February 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Anyone that willing to go through the process and *become* a American, in spirit and by law is welcome!

Besides, I got a feeling Europe is about to kick-off its Centennial tradition of Football Hooliganism amongst Nations, and sane Europeans may be in scarce supply for awhile…including mad Englishmen/women…lol

…And you guys gave us GREAT Sci-Fi & Comedy shows over the decades, so we owe you one… :o)

BlaxPac on February 6, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Unless you’re white. Or male. Or Christian. Or a gun owner. Or a Republican.

GrumpyOldFart on February 6, 2016 at 5:37 PM

You forgot Southern.

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2016 at 6:08 PM

I do believe you’re taking it way too personally.

darwin on February 6, 2016 at 6:01 PM

She’s a hysterical drama queen. This exchange will likely end up as the core of a 452,658 word rant on her personal blog – it’s what she does.

Jose K on February 6, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Trump is an alien anchor baby of the outer space flavor.

Didn’t you ever wonder why he appears orange sometimes?

His hair is the remnants of his cosmic ray armor mostly shed at birth.

Oxymoron on February 6, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Here you go, Cocoa Puff:

Dear Lime in the Coconut,

I did not call you a slut.

(Repost this as needed.)

IDontCair on February 3, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Jose K on February 6, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Oxymoron on February 6, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Well that explains a few other things as well. Good theory!

MJBrutus on February 6, 2016 at 6:17 PM

OT – IdontCAIR, you should clarify with Lime in the Coconut what you meant with your bad word. Go to last night’s QotD and follow Lime.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM

I don’t remember who was calling who a “slut” whether it was Lime saying that or whether Lime was quoting someone else.

I was just wondering out loud how someone could do that repeatedly while davidk was banned without warning or comment for trying to bait a troll.

That was the first time I remember seeing Lime. I was suspecting it might be HonestLib with the Briticisms Lime used. I saw from last night’s QOTD that someone called Lime RWM. Several said “her.”

IDontCair on February 1, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Thank you for clarifying IdontCAIR.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2016 at 12:15 PM

And I appreciate your calling it to my attention.

IDontCair on February 1, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Jose K on February 6, 2016 at 6:17 PM

So 4 of Trump’s children could not be POTUS.

redridinghood on February 6, 2016 at 6:18 PM

As H.L Mencken said,…

Please don’t quote Mencken in this context.

I really like Mencken.

Jazz Shaw on February 6, 2016 at 6:20 PM

So 4 of Trump’s children could not be POTUS.

redridinghood on February 6, 2016 at 6:18 PM

Quite possibly.

sharrukin on February 6, 2016 at 6:22 PM

‘Limey’ by birth.

American by CHOICE.

Lime in the Coconut on February 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Oh look. The pity party has started again.

NWConservative on February 6, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Jose K on February 6, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Isn’t that the truth.

I can’t believe how much mileage she is trying to get with it. It has now been two weeks, listening to the whining about it nearly every single day.

NWConservative on February 6, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Lime in Coconut,

Whoever you are, whatever this is about, the people attacking you attack everyone, they have this little herd and they gang up. They don’t really have any point, they just attack. I think they are the type that only feels good about themselves when they make someone else feel bad. Although that can’t be very satisfying.

I don’t know how you avoid them. But you are not alone.

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:29 PM

TED CRUZ is the only PRINCIPLED CONSERVATIVE in the race…..

Realdemocrat1 on February 6, 2016 at 4:23 PM

I just found out about that Seven Mountains thing… so you think he is chosen by God to bring about the end times? Well that’s interesting. Good thing the Fraud was exposed in Iowa.

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:32 PM

I don’t know how you avoid them. But you are not alone.

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:29 PM

The melodrama index just went up a few notches.

sharrukin on February 6, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Oh look. The pity party has started again.

NWConservative on February 6, 2016 at 6:23 PM

On February 1, 2016, at 12:14 PM, Schadenfreude (hint: NOT a Trumpster Diver), Lime’s friend, reposted one of IDon’tCair’s clarifications of the “slvt” comment. It couldn’t have been clearer. Five comments later, Cocoa Puff posted this:

Sorry, Trumpster Divers…

The ‘slvt’ comment had nothing whatsoever to do with the banning of davidk.

It was a two-fold reference:

1. It has to do with the variations of slut that some posters (you know who you are) have called Megyn Kelly.

2. It has to do with one poster possibly calling me one. I asked, specifically, if he did with a yes or no question. He never replied.

Lime in the Coconut on February 1, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Totally oblivious, epic lunacy.

Jose K on February 6, 2016 at 6:33 PM

I don’t know how you avoid them. But you are not alone.

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Oh good grief.

petunia the shrink stands in solidarity with Lime.

darwin on February 6, 2016 at 6:33 PM

But you are not alone.

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:29 PM

You are right, but not in the way you think…

Jose K on February 6, 2016 at 6:34 PM

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:32 PM

As president, Trump will nullify all anchor baby citizenships and deport Marco Rubio.

darwin on February 6, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Oh good grief.

petunia the shrink stands in solidarity with Lime.

darwin on February 6, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Why do you do this? Attack like that? It really is not helpful. Ganging up on someone, which you do so often is bully behavior. Do you feel good about it?

I see you guys doing it all the time.

And it keeps people away. I’d like real conversations, but you set a tone of hate and envy. And that is just unproductive.

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM

darwin on February 6, 2016 at 6:34 PM

So you have your own version where Trump is God’s chosen candidate? And his purpose is purify the race?

I had heard the neo-Nazi’s had endorsed Trump. Not real trilled they come to Hot Air.

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:39 PM

I see you guys doing it all the time.

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Wait a minute. You make a comment about others here attacking in “gangs” to feel good about themselves or something and you expect no response?

Plus, when you do get a response you immediately throw the “woe is me I’m a poor victim just looking for discussion card.

Why do you do that?

darwin on February 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Have you mentally prepared yourself for the fact that we will talk about Trump tonight on the debate thread? We might even criticize Cruz and Rubio. Will that be too upsetting?

Jose K on February 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Don’t you support Rubio? It was a joke.

I truly didn’t think you’d go off on some race superiority rant involving Nazi’s.

darwin on February 6, 2016 at 6:45 PM

So 4 of Trump’s children could not be POTUS.

redridinghood on February 6, 2016 at 6:18 PM

Quite possibly.

sharrukin on February 6, 2016 at 6:22 PM

it’s amazing how people try to disprove one thing by saying another.

Trumps father was born in Usa-Trump was born in usa.

Trump born in usa his kids born in usa.

if Cruz was born in usa confines -he would have no issues
If one of Rubio’s parents was born in USA he would have no issues

gerrym51 on February 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Why do you do that?

darwin on February 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Because every melodrama victim desperately needs an oppressor.

sharrukin on February 6, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Oh look. The pity party has started again.

NWConservative on February 6, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Sorry, Trumpster Divers…

The ‘slvt’ comment had nothing whatsoever to do with the banning of davidk.

It was a two-fold reference:

Lime in the Coconut on February 1, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Totally oblivious, epic lunacy.

Jose K on February 6, 2016 at 6:33 PM

She’s certifiable. I am sick to death of seeing her spam threads with her whiny self flagellation.

Grow a pair, suck it up, and move on already.

My God.

She posted a response to ConstantineXI on her blog now too. What a loon.

NWConservative on February 6, 2016 at 6:50 PM

petunia on February 6, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Wow.

I lost what little respect I had for you.

You deserve every mean and nasty comment delivered to you.

NWConservative on February 6, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Jose K on February 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM

LOL.

NWConservative on February 6, 2016 at 6:53 PM

So 4 of Trump’s children could not be POTUS.

redridinghood on February 6, 2016 at 6:18 PM

Quite possibly.

sharrukin on February 6, 2016 at 6:22 PM

it’s amazing how people try to disprove one thing by saying another.

Trumps father was born in Usa-Trump was born in usa.

Trump born in usa his kids born in usa.

if Cruz was born in usa confines -he would have no issues
If one of Rubio’s parents was born in USA he would have no issues

gerrym51 on February 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM

They think its some sort of gotcha question because they would compromise any principle for their own ends and cannot fathom that others would not do so.

sharrukin on February 6, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Don’t you support Rubio? It was a joke.

darwin on February 6, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Don’t worry. I’m sure the Limey will be back to tell everyone here that we are all little Hitlers for wanting to mass deport illegal aliens on trains without silk bedding.

NWConservative on February 6, 2016 at 6:55 PM

it’s amazing how people try to disprove one thing by saying another.

Trumps father was born in Usa-Trump was born in usa.

Trump born in usa his kids born in usa.

if Cruz was born in usa confines -he would have no issues
If one of Rubio’s parents was born in USA he would have no issues

gerrym51 on February 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM

Trump’s mother was a citizen before he was born as well.

NWConservative on February 6, 2016 at 6:56 PM

I despise these loon toon race pimp liberals.

locomotivebreath1901 on February 6, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Neither Cruz nor Rubio would have their authenticity questioned like that, if they were lockstep Dems.

Lime, you are a real Brit AND a real American, but you don’t need anybody to tell you that. When this discussion started, I had a point to make but realized it just wasn’t important after I saw it touched a deep nerve. Speaking for myself, America is better off with you and what only you can possibly bring. Many of my friends are immigrants, though I am not and will never understand their perspectives, yet I do see them struggle with various issues. As you know, the Special Relationship has been strained under the current administration, however I see people such as yourself as a bridge between the two societies and someone who is uniquely positioned to remind all of us about the ties that bind. Keep in touch.

Christien on February 6, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Fact is the Republicans are the Party of Diversity. Two Hispanics, a woman, young and old. On the Democrats, OLD TIRED WHITE LIBERALS. That’s it. The Democrat Party is still the PARTY OF SLAVERY maintaining their PLANTATIONS of Mammies and UNCLE TOM voters in their AME CHURCH’S.

Realdemocrat1 on February 6, 2016 at 7:14 PM

I went and dug out the original post.

Lime was on a tirade against OmahaConsrvative for his repeatedly calling Megyn Kelly a slut.

It is too long to post and requires a lot of formatting. You can read it here: http://hotair.com/archives/2016/01/29/quotes-of-the-day-2312/comment-page-8/#comment-10479298

I wrote:

Lime in the Coconut on January 30, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Slut. But don’t call anyone “hero.”

Heh. I bet you think Trump is a conservative.

IDontCair on January 30, 2016 at 3:50 PM

My post was in support of what she was saying.

I didn’t know who Lime was at the time, but given the Briticism, I thought it might be HonestLib. Hence the last line–it is an inside joke I have with HL.

I wasn’t sure what was said exactly, but now that I’ve looked it up, I see I was actually supporting Lime.

Am I am upset because I was wrongly accused?

Pffft.

You should see what I’m called on other sites. I am way beyond getting upset what anonymous internet posters say about me. Hot Air is a calm place compared to a lot of sites.

IDontCair on February 6, 2016 at 7:57 PM

I don’t care. Let the leftists eat cruz and rubio. I’ll NEVER vote for either of the pigs anyway.

Andy__B on February 6, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Realdemocrat1 on February 6, 2016 at 7:14 PM

And don’t forget Dr. Carson and the vertically challenged Cristy.

IDontCair on February 6, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Sachiko on February 6, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Jewish conservative woman.
I hear ya.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM

The natural born citizenship required for President/VP in the Constitution per the Founders reading at the time (in The Law of Nations or the Principles of Natural Law (1758) Book 1, Chapter 19, Section 212 Citizens and Natives by Emmerich de Vattel)was one born of two citizens in the county in question. That was useful if wanting to keep foreigners out of our government. Thus Obama, Cruz, Rubio, Jindal and maybe others shouldn’t be qualified to be President. The one American parent rule used for citizenship as per the SCOTUS does not address natural born; never has it been directly addressed by the SCOTUS. However with Obama in the Presidency, who in their right mind wants to say he was’t eligible and thus everything he did/sign is null and void. Talk about anarchy. In this instance the “living” Constitution may be handy.

amr on February 6, 2016 at 8:05 PM

To progressives, the only real Hispanics are those who break the law to get here, demand and get government handouts, have babies without the means to support them, never bother to assimilate, and who vote Democrat.

stop2think on February 7, 2016 at 8:26 AM

I think that the author is on to something, in a negative sort of way. Once you stop being parochial — caring only for your own — and begin caring for all — you must, of necessity, at some point, act against some aspect of what others consider “your own”. Every extension of civil rights was, in essence, acting against one’s own, and every attempt to bring uniformity of justice to society was, in essence, acting against one’s own. In fact, we can see every denial of civil rights and every denial of justice as an act of conformity with some group’s view of entitlement.

The Constitution mandates race-blindness, and if Mr. Thomas takes that view to heart, he will produce decisions to prevent government from favoring those of one race over another — including those of his own race. He will produce decisions which favor individuals of his own race when they are faced with discriminatory behavior by government, just as he would for individuals of any other race.

Indeed, ultimately, one’s success should hinge upon the greater good, and not upon parochial ideas that one ought to represent only those of one’s own race or creed in preference to others.

I understand, however, whence Mr. Univision comes. My family, comprised of two minorities detested in their time — minorities overtly discriminated against in immigration law, remembers their roots, and find that the non-overt discrimination in current immigration law, even though it is not against their own, is not to be countenanced.

Of course, there are others who think otherwise, who think that we in America are no longer capable of absorbing immigrants from places which do not share our culture, and must take care of our own, so to speak.

How the Democrats put it:

Reform is necessary to correct the omissions of a Republican Congress and the errors of our treaties and our diplomacy, which has stripped our fellow-citizens of foreign birth and kindred race, re-erasing [re-crossing] the Atlantic from the shield of American citizenship, and has exposed our brethren of the Pacific coast to the incursions of a race not sprung from the same great parent stock, and in fact now by law denied citizenship through naturalization as being unaccustomed to the traditions of a progressive civilization, one exercised in liberty under equal laws; and we denounce the policy which thus discards the liberty-loving German and tolerates the revival of the coolie-trade in Mongolian women for immoral purposes, and Mongolian men held to perform servile labor contracts, and demand such modification of the treaty with the Chinese Empire, or such legislation within constitutional limitations, as shall prevent further importation or immigration of the Mongolian race.

How the Republicans put it:

6. Since the authority to regulate immigration and intercourse between the United States and foreign nations rests with the Congress of the United States and the treaty-making power, the Republican party, regarding the unrestricted immigration of the Chinese as a matter of grave concernment under the exercise of both these powers, would limit and restrict that immigration by the enactment of such just, humane and reasonable laws and treaties as will produce that result.

Indeed, every argument against amnesty or for immigration controls based on anything other than the qualities of good citizenship seem to spring from one of the party platform planks I’ve quoted above. What Mr. Univision is saying is, in essence, that when one tries to restrict immigration, they make common cause with those in the past who would have denied entrance to the United States to one’s own ancestors.

unclesmrgol on February 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM

stop2think on February 7, 2016 at 8:26 AM

The conservative who rails against these Hispanics, who thinks that they are only here for government handouts and have babies without the means to support them, and who think they will never assimilate, and who thinks they have a natural affinity with the Democrats, assures same.

They will remember the hand that fed them, and despise those who did not, unto the fourth generation.

unclesmrgol on February 7, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Left spin cycle: Cruz and Rubio aren’t, you know… Latino Latino

And Hillary isn’t, you know… a woman woman.

RJL on February 7, 2016 at 3:15 PM