Trump: Yes, I’ll be at the next Fox debate — with Megyn Kelly

posted at 2:01 pm on February 5, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

Donald Trump’s climbdowns at the end of this week don’t stop with Ted Cruz, apparently. In an interview with Newsmax’s Steve Malzberg, Trump committed to attending the next Republican debate on Fox News on March 3rd, even with Megyn Kelly as moderator. He claimed that his boycott of the last Fox debate had “nothing to do with Megyn Kelly“:

“I’ll be there, I have no objection to being there,” Trump said Friday on the “Steve Malzberg Show,” when asked if he’d be at the Fox News debate in March

“And that had nothing to do with Megyn Kelly, the fact that I went out of the last one had to do with a memo that was sent out by Fox that was a little bit taunting and I said it was inappropriate,” he continued.

“And what happened is because I didn’t do it I raised $6 million for the vets. So I wouldn’t have changed places, I mean I did the right thing.”

This is pure spin, and half-hearted spin at best. Yes, Fox News sent out the taunting (and in my opinion, unprofessional) press release, but it was in response to demands by Trump to remove Kelly as a debate moderator. Trump picked that fight himself all over again, perhaps hoping to score some voter enthusiasm by attacking the media, or just to get some more free media in the run-up to the caucuses. Trump’s campaign threatened a boycott before that press release if Kelly was allowed to moderate the debate, and Trump himself polled his social-media followers on whether or not to follow through on that threat. As Allahpundit noted at the time, the Fox News press release was in response to that polling/trolling, not the cause of it.

Now Trump wants to pretend that the issue wasn’t about Kelly, but that’s pretty close to urinating on the heads of anyone who paid attention and then commenting on the rainfall. He doesn’t want to admit that he blew it in Iowa by bailing out of the debate, and that Trump’s got little choice but to retreat and show up for the next debate unless he wants to continue to rattle late deciders with concerns about his temperament. That’s why he’s backing down from the fight with Cruz as well. He finally got stung with his antics when it counted, and Trump realizes that people need reasons to take him seriously when it comes to voting for him, not just be entertained by the spectacle. How long he can maintain that discipline is anyone’s guess.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Truth is the Fox mod team hasn’t been very interesting…there’s a constant reliance on gotcha questions that make it impossible for the candidates to react to each other.

Know it sounds crazy, but F. Chuck Todd and Rachel Maddow showed everyone how it’s done last night.

WestportSC on February 5, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Why is does Fox keep bringing back Kelly to the debates?

Ratings and cash.

recruited an illegal alien to try to embarrass Trump (on his issue #1), and #3 recruited a a Bernie-supporting muslim activist to embarrass Trump (on his issue #2).

Trump will have to face these things in the general. He will be ambushed at debates at events, you name it. Fox is more than justified in making him face the situations he will face in the general in the primary so we can see how he handles it (and push any errors into the old news category instead of the October Surprise category). The short on that is, run and hide does not impress me or instill any confidence that he is ready for and can handle the general. Quit whining over rough treatment. It’s unseemly and It’s coming for whomever wins the primary regardless. If you want to whine, whine over not giving rough treatment to the establishment favorites.

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:02 PM

I like Shannon Bream and a few of their other women tv personalities. Not sure what’s the deal with Meg at Fox News. My guess is that she was embraced by the msm, so she now has full fledged credibility.

cimbri on February 5, 2016 at 3:56 PM

It just seems like when personalities like Kelly’s is put on the throne of the moderator chair, it dumb downs the debate process…which isn’t good especially when our nation is on an almost unrecoverable slide into the abyss.

b1jetmech on February 5, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Ratings and cash.

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:02 PM

And I hate it too.

It makes the debates more about the networks and not us getting the important info needed to make informed decisions.

b1jetmech on February 5, 2016 at 4:04 PM

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Pray tell me then, you establishment swine, why don’t they ambush other candidates besides Trump and Cruz?

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:06 PM

That’s because when Democrats get to the general they need to be ready to answer substantive debate questions. Because that’s what the MSM will ask Democrats. Questions that allow them to demonstrate and elucidate their positions.

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Kelly, kicked Trumps @ss…sorry Trump, but you lost again this week.

I still would like to know the answer to the simple question you were so upset about…

When did you actually decide to become a Republican?

right2bright on February 5, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Establishment pigs, celebrate, you fools.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Here koolaid drinker. Let me quote myself from THIS THREAD

Umm….yeah. That was a given. So what? We all know Fox is an establishment shill. That didn’t just come to light.

and

Fox is essentially Murdoch and Ailes. Ailes does make it a point not to interfere too much with opinion shows. I’m fairly certain Fox (Murdoch/Ailes) would love it if Bush/Kristie/Kasich won the nom. The fact they aren’t giving those three the same rough treatment as Trump/Cruz/Rubio is what pisses me off at Fox. Not that Fox is giving Trump/Cruz/Rubio the rough treatment. Quite frankly they need it to be ready for the general. Anyone complaining that Fox is being to rough on Trump/Cruz/Rubio is just wrong. They aren’t being rough enough on Bush/Kristie/Kasich.

Now go guzzle some more koolaid until you’re sure your potted plant is an establishment shill because it watched the debate and didn’t cheer for your candidate.

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:11 PM

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Ah the GOP motto.

Quit whining and take your lumps. Don’t like Obamacare? Quit whining. Romney Gets slandered? Quit Whining.

See the thing is, you can’t run a Luxury Hotel if your motto is “quit whining”.

I WANT my elected officials to whine and whine and whine until things are the way we want them: that’s how things get done in the world of Luxuary: that’s how I want my government.

All you honorable losers can do is fold to Obama or worse: craft an Amnesty package that guarantees 30 million new Democrats.

Skipity on February 5, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Ah the GOP motto.

I think of it more as a man’s motto.

All you honorable losers can do is fold to Obama or worse:

I think you’ve confused whining with fighting. You should fix that.

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:16 PM

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:11 PM

You must have been stoned outta your dumb arse while watching the debates if you thought Bleedy Blondy was hostile to Rubio. She was practically fellating him. Softball after softball, and plenty of time to respond.

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Kelly, kicked Trumps @ss…sorry Trump, but you lost again this week.

right2bright on February 5, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Politics ain’t a sporting event and it ain’t personal. I never understood fans gaining some sort of importance/superiority when their team won. I watch this phenomenon with amazement.

It is quite okay to have an “I love me wall or room” for one’s on accomplishments. I have been guilty of that in the past.

HonestLib on February 5, 2016 at 4:18 PM

So with that outfit, we can see Kelly as P*ssy Galore now??

Que the dialogue.

“My name is P*ssy Galore”

Bond- “I must be Dreaming”

ToddPA on February 5, 2016 at 4:18 PM

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:16 PM

He’s not stoned. He’s dishonest.

Skipity on February 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM

He’s not stoned. He’s dishonest.

Skipity on February 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM

Not mutually exclusive, particularly for a losertarian.

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:21 PM

….especially when our nation is on an almost unrecoverable slide into the abyss.
b1jetmech on February 5, 2016 at 4:02 PM

You are quite the optimist.

None of these frauds are going to stop it. IF Trump means what he says, he could slow it down a bit, if Congress would cooperate (unlikely). None of the others even know the brake pedal from the accelerator.

LegendHasIt on February 5, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Getting on and off elevators is hard enough.

Christien on February 5, 2016 at 3:48 PM

It can be a chaotic struggle.

DarkCurrent on February 5, 2016 at 4:22 PM

I meant no harm, just that her look is a dime a dozen in the summer at the beach at dusk just before party time.

HonestLib on February 5, 2016 at 3:50 PM

There’s a difference. There’s no dusk on Nanjing Road ;)

DarkCurrent on February 5, 2016 at 4:24 PM

LegendHasIt on February 5, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Nobody gives a fukk whether Congress will cooperate. Obama, in his infinite arrogance, paved the way for the demise of his own beloved socialism.

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:24 PM

And that had nothing to do with Megyn Kelly

He’s a really lousy liar but the chumps don’t care. They like to be lied to or they wouldn’t support this liberal.
They actually think he’s going to build a wall Hahahahahhahaha

Buttercup on February 5, 2016 at 4:26 PM

You must have been stoned outta your dumb arse

That’s why they had a gotcha video prepped for him right? Make no mistake out of the three I mentioned, Trump/Cruz/Rubio I’m fairly certain they prefer Rubio pretty heavily. It doesn’t mean he gets the same preferential treatment as their golden child Bush. I lumped him with the others mainly because of the contrived video gotcha.

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:28 PM

He’s not stoned. He’s dishonest.

Because I have opinions you don’t like.

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:29 PM

cimbri on February 5, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Well, she’s not the only telegenic one at Fox, but she is more charismatic than most, due in no small part to her (blatant) egomania.

Anti-ControI on February 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:28 PM

Now you make sense.

it is abominable that moderators insert themselves and their opinions, often paid-for ones, into the debates. Essentially, the presidential election may come down – and in 2012, likely did – to the political preference of a TV talking head. Debates MUST be moderated by a computer.

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:33 PM

So with that outfit, we can see Kelly as P*ssy Galore now??

Que the dialogue.

“My name is P*ssy Galore”

Bond- “I must be Dreaming”

ToddPA on February 5, 2016 at 4:18 PM

Not sure about the galore part since I tend to make a thimble look like a box car and I am the BB. Not that I am sensitive or sumthang.

HonestLib on February 5, 2016 at 4:36 PM

The Donald learned the old French adage the hard way in Iowa: “Les absents ont toujours tort”–absent people are always wrong. To paraphrase in English, “show up or shut up”.

Starting a stupid feud with Megyn Kelly and skipping the debate only led to Kelly giving softball interviews to all the other Republican candidates on her primetime show on Fox News, and tRump was left out.

So the next time big bad Megyn asks tRump a tough question at a debate, wait for him to say, “Look at that face!”, while Hillary laughs at the TV and roots for tRump in the primaries…

Steve Z on February 5, 2016 at 4:37 PM

He’s not stoned. He’s dishonest.

Because I have opinions you don’t like.

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Wimp. I can be stoned, dishonest, and have opinions that folks don’t like.

HonestLib on February 5, 2016 at 4:38 PM

tRump

Steve Z on February 5, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Keep that up and you will have to sit with me at the kids table wearing a leather depends.

Not a good look, but eating food out of a dog bowl only using hands is kinda cool. I learned not to use my left hand.

HonestLib on February 5, 2016 at 4:41 PM

3D versus 2D, and so much fun.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Fox 1, Trump 0. Ha ha ha.

Dan333 on February 5, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Fox 1, Trump 0. Ha ha ha.

Dan333 on February 5, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Why are you laughing?

If things go the way FOXe wants it’ll be FOXe 1, Dan333 0.

darwin on February 5, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Hillary/Kelly

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Why are you laughing?

If things go the way FOXe wants it’ll be FOXe 1, Dan333 0.

darwin on February 5, 2016 at 5:09 PM

I’m chuckling over how Fox humiliated Trump twice. First debate, Megyn made him look like a bumbling misogynist fool. Second debate, Trump tried his world renowned “art of the deal” and came up a chump. Ha ha ha.

Dan333 on February 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Megyn Kelly dressed in leathers. Looks about right for her class.

Kaffa on February 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Megyn Kelly dressed in leathers. Looks about right for her class.

Kaffa on February 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM

i’ll sign up for that class. rockpile knows the deal.

t8stlikchkn on February 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Wimp. I can be stoned, dishonest, and have opinions that folks don’t like.

HonestLib on February 5, 2016 at 4:38 PM

time to switch to the yellow pane.

t8stlikchkn on February 5, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Dan333 on February 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM

They’re humiliating us. When you go after a candidate for his views … and Trump is against everything the FOXe management wants, then they are in effect going after people who believe the same.

FOXe doesn’t care about you, me, Trump, Cruz, Rubio or Bush. They care about squashing anything in the way of the monied agenda. Trump is in their way. Cruz is in their way. We’re in their way.

Make no mistake. Trump is pro-America. FOXe isn’t.

darwin on February 5, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Dan333 on February 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Yea baby. I am still chuckling over how Candy/CNN humiliated Mitt and helped push President Obama over the finish line.

Man, what a knee slapper and sure glad the media helps pick the winners.

Let the good times roll.

HonestLib on February 5, 2016 at 5:33 PM

darwin on February 5, 2016 at 5:31 PM

My mistake Darwin. My original post should have read Fox 2, Trump 0.

Trump is pro-Trump period. Trump vs Hillary? Top line blank, GOP down ballot.

Dan333 on February 5, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Frankly I cannot wait until Kelly leaves Fox News. I can’t stand turning on that channel any longer.
MSNBC please make her an offer she can’t refuse….

FireBlogger on February 5, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Let the good times roll.

HonestLib on February 5, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Ready for Hillary I see. Prefer a corrupt, lying bureaucrat, that’s on you.

Dan333 on February 5, 2016 at 5:39 PM

MSNBC please make her an offer she can’t refuse….

FireBlogger on February 5, 2016 at 5:39 PM

O’Reilly’s an inane pretentious chatterbox. Megyn will soon replace him.

Dan333 on February 5, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Let the good times roll.

HonestLib on February 5, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Ready for Hillary I see. Prefer a corrupt, lying bureaucrat, that’s on you.

Dan333 on February 5, 2016 at 5:39 PM

As long as I win and can chuckle at the losers…it’s all good.

Hey, you and Fox are winning. We are like brothers, just different sides of the same coin. Don’t worry, be happy. Enjoy.

HonestLib on February 5, 2016 at 5:55 PM

TRUMP is getting back to doing what he needs to do to WIN the primary.

I am sure at some point down-line whether TRUMP wins the White House or not Ms. Kelly will come up short of something she will badly want. It is Karma people.

Nat George on February 5, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Megyn Kelly dressed in leathers. Looks about right for her class.

Kaffa on February 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Many young ~ middle aged womenfolk here do that in winter. Is it naughty?

DarkCurrent on February 5, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Nat George on February 5, 2016 at 5:55 PM

A+

WestportSC on February 5, 2016 at 6:17 PM

When does Ms. Kelly’s book come out?

Cindy Munford on February 5, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Is she wearing a trash bag?

SpongePuppy on February 5, 2016 at 6:51 PM

I think you’ve confused whining with fighting. You should fix that.

mikethemoose on February 5, 2016 at 4:16 PM

What fighting? What has been conserved in just the last 50 years? Perhaps many of us are tired of dancing to the same old tune. We’ve seen the man behind the curtain.

Did you read the link posted earlier?

Establishment pigs, celebrate, you fools.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2016 at 4:09 PM

That is Krauthammer, Fox news commentator, supposed conservative saying this:

It’s that he’s not conservative. Trump winning the nomination would convulse the Republican Party, fracture the conservative movement and undermine the GOP’s identity and role as the country’s conservative party.

But Romney was/is totally a conservative. Yeah, he wants to conserve the status quo. Which if you look at my native state, California, its gone from being 78% white in 1970 to 38% white in 2010. But you know, hispanics are natural conservatives and CA isn’t run by the Dems. Fundamental change, just bring in a new compliant voter base. Status quo equals making you a slave to the government. Your culture will be voted out of existence, paid for by your tax dollars.

oryguncon on February 5, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Is she wearing a trash bag?

SpongePuppy on February 5, 2016 at 6:51 PM

Anti-ControI on February 5, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Let me just leave this here as the cherry on top of the corruption know as Megyn Kelly:

PolAgnostic 9 hours ago

What!?! Doesn’t every professional woman have a close friend who supports beheading people?

Juliette Isabella

WOW! Now this I didn’t know. It sure does explain everything.
It’s really creepy she’s close friends with him. eww

Ann deal

ldcopelandlc52 BarbMuenchen Johnatsrs1949

Megan Kelly is close friends with the Saudi Shiek alwed something who owns half of Fox.

PolAgnostic on February 5, 2016 at 7:46 PM

Maybe Trump decided to check Megyn out.

Sherman1864 on February 5, 2016 at 10:17 PM

She’s starting to look like Bowie, but needs a lightning bolt painted on her face.

Kenosha Kid on February 5, 2016 at 11:55 PM

The first time I look at this headline swear to god I thought it said

Hillary: Yes, I’ll be at the next Fox debate — with Megyn Kelly

Why aren’t we busting Hill’s balls about the Democrat party’s cowardice? Every one of them scurrying away like cockroaches from Megyn Kelly.

papertiger on February 6, 2016 at 12:38 AM

Meg has really latched on to Trump and it’s paying off handsomely for her. Ole Trump makes everyone money.

cimbri on February 6, 2016 at 3:50 AM

Biggest winner: Melania… she’s closer than ever to scoring the grand bargain on her Victorian on One Observatory Circle!

Cruz/Trump 2016

Terp Mole on February 6, 2016 at 4:11 AM

Its all window dressing. Cruz/Trump has been the ticket all along. Trump doesn’t want all that work at the White House. He wants that big chunk of real estate on One Observatory Road. It’s HUGE!

Barbara and George spent a lovely 8 years there while Nancy and Ron did all the heavy lifting on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Terp Mole on February 6, 2016 at 4:12 AM

Schizo.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 6, 2016 at 5:24 AM

His not going to the debate was the result of the Fox press release. It still has nothing to do about Megyn Kelly. Furthermore, by a march it will all be pretty much over, one way or the other. If Mr. Trump takes New Hampshire, which by now is almost certain, South Carolina and Nevada who will be left standing to stop him?

ArthurMachado on February 6, 2016 at 6:17 AM

Megyn in leather. Where’s my ball gag and flick-and-tickle birch rod?

Younggod on February 6, 2016 at 8:02 AM

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Hillary/Kelly

Ouch – because it works.

diogenes on February 6, 2016 at 8:33 AM

YES – HE WILL HAVE TO BE AT THE NEXT DEBATE BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS THAT MEGYN KELLY IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT TO THE COUNTRY AND THE WORLD AS A TAKING HEAD (REALLY JUST ANOTHER PRETTY FACE)THEN THOSE PEOPLE RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT.

pwb on February 6, 2016 at 9:03 AM

Megyn Kelly’s celebrity is wearing thin.

grumpyank on February 6, 2016 at 10:12 AM

I used to like Kelly, but now that she’s working overtime to embarrass Trump, I’m officially sick of her and refuse to watch her on TV.

BillCarson on February 6, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Hopefully, she won’t start with dumb questions about misogyny, this time. It set the tone for a transparent takedown which backfired badly on her and had her executives scrambling. She took two weeks off to recover, remember?

This poisonous press release was a clear indication they wanted to try it again, so there was a downside for Trump in obliging them.

It also underlined some negotiation factors. Fox cannot command a candidate to appear and perform. They know now that they don’t have unlimited power, even in their own venue.

I expect Kelly to be more subdued in the next event. The ratings were good for the last event, but not where they could have been. Everybody realizes that.

We will be surprised if there are any post-debate hugs for Republicans!

virgo on February 6, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Megyn Kelly is too flat….

Realdemocrat1 on February 6, 2016 at 12:38 PM

MSNBC is touting Hillary Clinton out knocking on doors herself in New Hampshire. Is she rolling out her LIBERAL kunt brigade in the SCOOBY VAN?

Realdemocrat1 on February 6, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Kelly dressing up in leather with no boobs is not attractive at all….

Realdemocrat1 on February 6, 2016 at 12:42 PM

“…This is pure spin, and half-hearted spin at best…”

Perhaps…but you don’t always assess it accurately.

Really?

kcruiser on February 6, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Gee Ed, talk about spin.

We’ve seen how he negotiates so all his actions up to that point were valid and no real indication of what he would actually do.

Yes he wanted her off, and sure he tried to bully them into taking her off but his claim that it was the petty snarky twit they put out using the fight to compare how other world leaders would treat with Trump and he them was a bit juvenile.

He felt they weren’t negotiating in good faith so he played his nuke card.

You just want to believe what you want to believe and disregard the rest. And that’s fine but don’t expect everyone to fall in line or for it to matter much.

Trump didn’t lose because he walked from that debate. Trump was only leading recently because of a bump from Palin. Cruz was always up in Iowa due to it’s evangelical’s, the caucus system and the straight laced conservativism practiced there.

jake1246 on February 6, 2016 at 6:59 PM

OH. And we also don’t know what’s been said behind the scenes and given strict non disclosure cover.

Fox may have made some guarantees to Trump but demanded he not say anything about the agreement. It would make Fox look ridiculous and prove Trump right. Trump believes he proved himself right and didn’t need to say anything so he went along. Thus the appearance at the next debate.

Much more likely and in line with what’s happened in the past. Fox couldn’t afford another brou haha with their advertisers.

It’s all about the Benjamins.

jake1246 on February 6, 2016 at 7:02 PM

i thought maddow dyed her hair

datrashman on February 6, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Didn’t the League of Women Voters used to host / moderate some of these things? At what point did they become the sole purview of a bunch of gotcha-obsessed “journalists” who cumulatively have very little life experience and even less education? Why can’t we have some *other* national group act as moderator instead of “journalists”? Like the head of NASA, or the Salvation Army, or AARP or … *ta da* the largest group of all — the NRA!

NahnCee on February 6, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Is she wearing a trash bag?

SpongePuppy on February 5, 2016 at 6:51 PM