The Governator is back … for Kasich?

posted at 4:01 pm on February 5, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

When Arnold Schwarzenegger left office in California, no one really expected him to be back. He wisely took up his suspended Hollywood career, picking up in action films where he left off. The Governator will make a comeback of sorts today, though, joining John Kasich on a conference call with New Hampshire voters:

Former California governor and Hollywood star Arnold Schwarzenegger is lending a hand to Gov. John Kasich (R-Ohio) ahead of the New Hampshire primary on Tuesday.

Kasich’s presidential campaign invited supporters to join a Friday tele-town hall that will feature Schwarzenegger. …

Schwarzenegger has another tie to the presidential race, as the “Terminator” star is replacing GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump as the host of the reality show “Celebrity Apprentice.”

The Hill notes that Schwarzenegger has yet to actually endorse Kasich, although perhaps that will be the big reveal today. He’s not making calls on behalf of Donald Trump, whom Schwarzenegger will replace as host of “Celebrity Apprentice.” (Maybe they’re trading “You’re fired!” with “I like you, Solly, I’ll kill you last.”) The contestant list has a high reality-TV celebrity quotient, with luminaries such as Snooki Polizzi, Porsha Williams, and Carson Kressley. For some reason, NFL Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson will make an appearance, too.

But Kasichmentum does not stop with Schwarzenegger. Montel Williams, former TV host and most recently an activist on the issue of Americans detained by Iran, has declared his excitement to come back to the GOP on behalf of the Ohio governor:

I reject the criticism that Kasich isn’t a conservative. It’s ludicrous—especially from those looking for the next Ronald Reagan. Reagan, today, would be a RINO (Republican In Name Only).  Some say allowing Medicaid expansion in Ohio proves Kasich is a “closet liberal.” It’s ridiculous. On Medicaid, Kasich was unwilling to kowtow to extremists. Admirably, he put principles ahead of what was in his best interest politically. That takes guts.  Some said the expansion would collapse the state’s finances. In fact, Ohio has a balanced budget and a significant surplus.

When it comes to security and the military, we need a steady hand.  I cringe when I hear the term “carpet bombing” from Cruz, or when Donald Trump proposes taking Syrian or Iraqi oil for our benefit. Both are war crimes, and reflect ignorance toward a complex world. Cruz also suggested finding out if “sand can glow in the dark.” Was he proposing using nuclear weapons against the Islamic State group?  That’s not strength, it’s senseless puffery. Voters should ask themselves if they’d like to “feel safe” or “be safe.”  We cannot pretend fear-mongering and bigotry qualify a person to serve as our commander in chief.

An issue dear to my heart is care for our veterans. I firmly believe Kasich is by far the best choice to root out corruption at the Veterans Administration and honor our most sacred national obligation — caring for those who fought for our freedom.

Given Williams’ background as an Annapolis grad and Marine, he’s certainly got the gravitas to weigh in on national security and veterans affairs. Whether he can boost Kasich’s fortunes in New Hampshire is another matter. Williams has a significant following on social media, but New Hampshire is won on street corners, diners, and other forms of retail politicking. Having two celebrities endorse from afar may give Kasich a little more star power and media attention, but he’d have to bounce high up in the latter to threaten Trump, Cruz, or Marco Rubio for air time in the next four days. On the other hand, some polling in New Hampshire puts Kasich in decent position for a respectable finish, perhaps even a bronze medal — which would be remarkable indeed.

Regardless, Kasich told Fox News that even a poor showing in New Hampshire won’t push him out of the race, although he defined that as “seventh” in a field of … eight:

The results of the New Hampshire primary on Tuesday are widely expected to prompt more Republicans to drop out of the crowded race to be the party’s 2016 presidential nominee, but Ohio Gov. John Kasich doesn’t plan to be in that group.

“I want a good showing out of New Hampshire,” Kasich said Friday on Fox News’ “America’s Newsroom.” He explained that he hopes to leave the state relatively successful as he heads to events he has already planned leading up to Republican primaries elsewhere, including South Carolina’s on Feb. 20 and Nevada’s caucus on Feb. 23.

The third state the governor mentioned was the most surprising: Michigan, where the primary is held on March 12. For Kasich to mention that contest is a sign that he believes his campaign will survive past the 12 primaries held on March 1, Super Tuesday, and those that follow before the Michigan date. …

That means “seventh place or something,” Kasich told Fox, indicating what the bar would be for him to quit. The governor is currently polling fourth in New Hampshire, according to HuffPost Pollster’s aggregation of polls.

RCP also has him in fourth place in New Hampshire, barely edged out by Ted Cruz. In South Carolina, though, Kasich is at 2%. The other states haven’t had much polling of late in RCP’s tracking, but a late-December Gravis poll in Nevada put Kasich at zero. Nevada is a caucus state, so unless Kasich is prepared to drop a bunch of cash in a state with a much more libertarian edge to it, the path to Michigan seems pretty foggy, to say the least.

Comments

Bishop! Its’ for you!

libfreesMom on February 5, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Jerkinator

b1jetmech on February 5, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Kasich may not want to drop out with a 4th or 5th place finish, but his donors? Does the “Well he finished behind Cruz in a more moderate state so lets give him more money” argument really persuade anyone?

Zaggs on February 5, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Big Whoopie

bazil9 on February 5, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Chuck Norris will also endorse Kasich soon. “I was always awed by his karate technique,” Chuck will say. “These well-polished moves are a sign of a true political leader who can not only kick butt but also punch and chop it. I also heard that his dad was a mailman, set settled it for me.”

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:09 PM

“You bring the guns and explosives, I will bring the Kung-Fu chops. Together we will be unstoppable!” ~John Kasich

BKennedy on February 5, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Ah-nold was such a disappointment here in Gallifohnya.

Tom McClintock should have been our governor not the celebrity. God help us if we find ourselves with the Donald rather than a conservative.

islandman78 on February 5, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Yawn.

VorDaj on February 5, 2016 at 4:16 PM

You can have negative respect for someone right? Not hatred, but just a complete lowering or respect til its pity I guess?

Zaggs on February 5, 2016 at 4:17 PM

“Republican” /Dr. Evil quote gesture

Zenji on February 5, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Kasich has about as much of a shot at being the nominee as a sequel to Terminator Genisys has of being made: ZERO!

Doughboy on February 5, 2016 at 4:17 PM

The ‘Nator says, regarding Kasich: “He’ll be bach! Jus lik las dime, stronger dan evah! I bromise!”
Third tier hangs with third tier; no harm, no foul. Ah-nahld, though, may have something to prove to Maria: “Sie, Honey, Ah am sdill relevahnt! Come bach du mee!”
Sheesh, ludicrous.

ExpressoBold on February 5, 2016 at 4:18 PM

Doesn’t he also pump shark-loans or something on late night tv?

Why, yes he does. Or did.

BobMbx on February 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM

Naturally he supports the candidate who explicitly supports Obamacare. He’s all for government mandated health-care.

rickv404 on February 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM

They love Schwarzenegger in Ohio, like they love Jerry Lewis in France. Go figure.

Tom McClintock should have been our governor not the celebrity.
islandman78 on February 5, 2016 at 4:16 PM

I voted for McClintock then, and I’m happy that he’s my Rep now. However, until it all utterly falls apart in CA, we’ll never see a conservative to the degree of McClintock elected Governor- unless Gray Davis is the Dem running. And even then, it would be dicey.

juanito on February 5, 2016 at 4:20 PM

So fourth place counts as a win now?

Johnnyreb on February 5, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Montel can put down the pipe.

Kasich will lead nothing, other than Ohio.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Imagine this Tuesday night:

Rubio finishes in forth place…

mjbrooks3 on February 5, 2016 at 4:24 PM

I like you, Solly, I’ll kill you last.

But remember, he lied. Just like the GOPe.

HugoDrax on February 5, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Arnold had his man card REVOKED. He banged the nasty maid!

TheMadHessian on February 5, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Arnold will endorse Kasich with the line,

“GET TO THE (KARATE) CHOPPER!”

Redstone on February 5, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Arnold was terrible..I wouldn’t want that endorsement.

bazil9 on February 5, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Please Lord, I ask for so very little,

find this in Your heart:

2nd place: Kasich

3rd place: Christie

4th place: Bush

5th place: Rubio

Amen

mjbrooks3 on February 5, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Arnold had his man card REVOKED. He banged the nasty maid!

TheMadHessian on February 5, 2016 at 4:25 PM

It was either the maid, the Mexican gardener, or Maria Shriver. Easy call.

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Kraut only pushes Rubio or Jeb.

As Baudelaire and Verbal Kint said:

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist.”

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Well that settles it. I’m definitely for Ted Cruz now.

rbj on February 5, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Really?

I thought sure he would go for the Bern.

Oh well, Kasigh runs a close third.

Neitherleftorright on February 5, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Please Lord, I ask for so very little,

find this in Your heart:

2nd place: Kasich

3rd place: Christie

4th place: Bush

5th place: Rubio

Amen

mjbrooks3 on February 5, 2016 at 4:27 PM

I am praying right along with you!

Pragmatic on February 5, 2016 at 4:30 PM

It was either the maid, the Mexican gardener, or Maria Shriver. Easy call.

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Damn, you Russians are good.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Damn, you Russians are good.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM

My blog-friend in Murmansk participated. :)

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:35 PM

I em doing a Mobeel Streich for mein gut friend Kasich! Ve vill win und make Amerika Fantastik again!

Neitherleftorright on February 5, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Who?

I only know Dickerson and Snooki, and the latter is because the media wouldn’t shut up about Jersey Shore.

Aizen on February 5, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Kasich was WAY down my list before people started dropping out. I still find him more palatable than Christie, but he dropped down another notch or 20 when I hear him say this on the Hugh Hewitt Show yesterday:

But the bigger answer to all of this is to be in a position of where we begin to pay people a financial reform for hospitals and doctors who deliver quality services below the price of the mean, in other words, the midpoint. So if you charge a lot as a doctor, and somebody else charges less, you’ve got a midpoint. And if you’re performing below the midpoint, and you’re delivering great quality, we’re going to give you a financial reward. We’re actually beginning to do that in Ohio. It’s very, very exciting. So what you get is high quality at lower prices.

peski on February 5, 2016 at 4:36 PM

I’ll take Kasich over that pro-amnesty runt puppy rubio.

Pragmatic on February 5, 2016 at 4:36 PM

I hadn’t heard of this. It might be funny for awhile.

Misha on February 5, 2016 at 4:38 PM

My blog-friend in Murmansk participated. :)

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Participated as what: pummeler or pummelee?

ExpressoBold on February 5, 2016 at 4:41 PM

My blog-friend in Murmansk participated. :)

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2016 at 4:43 PM

Ahnuld: Fote for Kasich. Find him at da app store.

Steve Z on February 5, 2016 at 4:43 PM

It would be better if Arnold could help the GOP do what he is best at doing – get back its stolen identity.

HugoDrax on February 5, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Participated as what: pummeler or pummelee?

ExpressoBold on February 5, 2016 at 4:41 PM

I’m an Israeli of Russian origin, take your guess which side my friends are on.

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:46 PM

HugoDrax on February 5, 2016 at 4:44 PM

He is part of the plot. A democrat in republican clothing.

Neitherleftorright on February 5, 2016 at 4:47 PM

I see Ah-nold doing some gamer commercials now.

I’ll be Bach.

ok, I’ll be Beethoven

Senator Philip Bluster on February 5, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Schwarzenegger and Kasich. Can’t tell which one has the bigger stink of the other.

fitzfong on February 5, 2016 at 5:01 PM

When you’re desperate you take what you can get no matter where it comes from.

Deadeye on February 5, 2016 at 5:27 PM

… take your guess which side my friends are on.

Rix on February 5, 2016 at 4:46 PM

GREAT! Guessing games! Like I’m already confused enough as it is…!!!!!
OK, I guess “pummelers.”

ExpressoBold on February 5, 2016 at 5:30 PM

I’ll be Bach.

ok, I’ll be Beethoven

Senator Philip Bluster on February 5, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Then, I’ll be Mozart…

ExpressoBold on February 5, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Fyi the Mich. Primary is March 8th not the 12th. /shrug

ABreitbart on February 5, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Every vote for Kasich is one less vote for the globalist Rubiolito.

KirknBurker on February 5, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Then, I’ll be Mozart…

ExpressoBold on February 5, 2016 at 5:31 PM

I guess Washington will be Chopin.

Neitherleftorright on February 5, 2016 at 5:51 PM

I guess Washington will be Chopin.

Neitherleftorright on February 5, 2016 at 5:51 PM

I see you cherry-picked your selection… unfortunately, Chopin was Polish, not German-speaking German or Austrian. Next time, be Brahms.

ExpressoBold on February 5, 2016 at 5:59 PM

I see you cherry-picked your selection…

ExpressoBold on February 5, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Why yes I did. I thought about Strauss but denim seems so declasse. Aber was kann man tun?

Neitherleftorright on February 5, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Was married to an ultra-liberal. Big surprise he supports one for Prez.

Carnac on February 6, 2016 at 9:29 AM