Christie: I never hugged Obama

posted at 12:01 pm on February 4, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

It’s come to this.

Now that the Marco Rubio train has left the station, claiming an early hold on the establishment lane, the rest of the contenders for that dubious honor are going all in for a second or third place finish in New Hampshire to prevent the Florida senator from running the table on them. One candidate with the most to lose or gain seems to be New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. He’s put pretty much all of his eggs in the Granite State basket and if he can’t show some serious signs of life there he’ll probably be out of the race by next Wednesday. So what will his opponents attack him on? Shockingly, he seems to think that he needs to keep defending himself against the infamous “Obama hug” during the Hurricane Sandy recovery, just as the last presidential race was coming down to the wire.

Christie’s take on the scandal? It never happened. (Time)

“The old, ‘nobody-ever-saw-it-because-it-didn’t-happen hug,’” Christie said at a town hall at the Milford Fire Department. “You hear about this all the time, so let’s talk about it.”…

“A hug with the president,” Christie said. Yeah, no, I’ve got to tell you, I can’t disappoint you all enough, I didn’t hug him. And as you all have learned in New Hampshire, I hug everybody. So it was a disappointment probably for him that I didn’t hug him.”

Christie acknowledged that he had shook Obama’s hand. “When he got off Air Force One, I did shake his hand, which I’ll tell you what, civilized human beings do with other civilized human beings,” he said.

As we jointly stifle our gag reflex against the idea of dredging something like this up from history yet again, I’ll say that Christie does at least have some ammunition on his side to make the argument. Last summer, while the story was percolating for the umpteenth time, he actually got an on-air apology from Greta Van Susteren who had accused him of the same thing. (NJ.com)

Gov. Chris Christie on Thursday received an on-air apology from Greta Van Susteren, the host of a Fox News Channel program, for the governor’s so-called embrace of President Obama after Hurricane Sandy…

“You know, I looked at it last night and I said, ‘That’s no hug,’ and I gotta say I’m sorry about the hug,” she told Christie.

The governor responded: “Well thank you Greta, I appreciate that, and you know what, it’s a handshake, as you can see, and I think that’s what civilized people do when someone comes to your state to offer help. You shake their hand and you welcome them, which is what I did.”

The real question, in the end, was whether or not Christie should have met with Obama at all, not what form of hug, handshake, high five or fist bump they gave each other. And that question is pretty silly. New Jersey was a disaster area and the POTUS tends to go to such places as part of allocating emergency management funds. Does a President need to go to these sites? No… but they do. And when they do, the Governor meets with them for the requisite photo op to show the people that the government is on top of the situation. It’s a pointless exercise in political posturing, but it’s sort of baked into the cake at this point. And when they meet they greet each other.

But back to the vexing question of the day. When is a hug not a hug? Take a look for yourselves.

HugGate2

I’ll let you make up your own minds since I already have my answer: there are much bigger things to criticize the New Jersey Governor on as a potential nominee than this. We could spend all day just talking about his gun control record. I won’t lose any sleep over the Hug-Gate.

One of the two photos originally included was from after Hurricane Irene, not Sandy, and has been removed. The remaining photo is from after Sandy.

Comments

Does he at least admit to humping Jerry Jones’ leg?

Flange on February 4, 2016 at 12:03 PM

BS. I fully remember a huge bear hug of the WH marxist by Crispy Creme.

bgibbs1000 on February 4, 2016 at 12:05 PM

Wrong answer, answer should be i hugged him because i needed money for my state, and Rubio hugged him with GO8 for nothing

OrthodoxJew on February 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM

He does cry over Springsteen songs though.

Bishop on February 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Tell his Highness to do the fly over and go home…like the NY Governor did, if he insists on landing, shake his hand then announce you have to get back to work and leave him eating your dust.

You don’t go walking arm in arm down the boardwalk.

Rogue on February 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM

“I did not have Hug-ual relations with that President, Mr Obama.”

Skipity on February 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Lot’s of touching and a true bromance going on there. How sweet.

Remember the timing of that love story and the fact that Americans were truly pining for a new person in the White House.

I know Christie will, because without that affair Christie would have been president in 2012.

Marcus Traianus on February 4, 2016 at 12:09 PM

“The Hug” doesn’t really bother me since I can understand two men coming together for the sake of fellow citizens after a disaster where both were needed. The real problem was his speech at the Republican Convention. He was the keynote, he was suppose to rally the troops and possibly even make himself a potential future candidate. Instead it still felt like he was in Obama’s pocket because of the needs of his state. He should have bowed out and let someone else do the job.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Bill Clinton ~ I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

TeaTrekkie on February 4, 2016 at 12:11 PM

I suppose, technically, that is not a “hug”. But it absolutely IS “too chummy with the TOTUS SCOAMF by half”.

If I came that close to Obama, I’d be doing my best to hold back my lunch.

But Christie and Obama look like old pals. Sorry, fatso, but that’s a problem.

deadrody on February 4, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Yeah, walking arm and arm is so much better than a courtesy hug…gazing into each others eyes…it was a sweet moment.

I wonder if Obama was worried if lunch was late, Christie was going to eat him…

right2bright on February 4, 2016 at 12:12 PM

It just looks like a hug because you need to press against his gut to shake his hand.

MechanicalBill on February 4, 2016 at 12:14 PM

This is like Chris Mathews complaining that he never said he gets tingles from obozo. It’s true only in the sense that Mathews said he gets thrills up his leg instead. But saying you didn’t hug a guy, instead you skipped merrily with arms around each other, isn’t any better.

Flange on February 4, 2016 at 12:14 PM

He pulled the victim card when he protested any discussion at all on the %60 billion Sandy Relief lardfest that was 50% earmarked to other stuff. Tell me what I’m missing there big ‘un.

DanMan on February 4, 2016 at 12:14 PM

The sex tapes have not yet been leaked. However, there are like 5,000 photos of Christie and obama holding hands, whispering in each other’s ears, and making cow-eyes at each other.

Pork-Chop on February 4, 2016 at 12:15 PM

In the top picture, you can clearly see Crispy’s fingers holding the Dog Eater’s side. That’s a hug, a strolling hug.

And, you know, the more I look at that picture, they look like a couple of middle-aged lesbians.

TXUS on February 4, 2016 at 12:16 PM

That’s a lot of PDA for two dudes that are (supposedly) not ghey for each other.

bitsy on February 4, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Looks like an ad for Lowered Expectations…..

dentarthurdent on February 4, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Agree about the speech, but that’s a hug.

Jason58 on February 4, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Does he at least admit to humping Jerry Jones’ leg?

Flange on February 4, 2016 at 12:03 PM

I saw that one – there is no denying it.

dentarthurdent on February 4, 2016 at 12:18 PM

It wasn’t just the hug it was the gushing “thank you Mister President for all you’re doing” speech which went along with the hug. And it was factually wrong with FEMA running out of water to hand out to victims at about the same time Christie was essentially endorsing Obama for 2012. Yes, this isn’t the issue on which to take a stand but there is more to it than Christie says.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2016 at 12:20 PM

He’s not as good a liar as Killary. Besides, if Adele doesn’t like him, he’s toast.

Kissmygrits on February 4, 2016 at 12:20 PM

In that first pic it looks like Christie is tickling Obama while saying ‘tickle tickle tickle’.
So, that must be what’s happening.
Not a hug.

In the 2nd pic, it looks like Obama is saying ‘Chris, look…seriously, you will never be POTUS’ –
and Christie is doing his best not to cry.
Again…not a hug.

verbaluce on February 4, 2016 at 12:21 PM

OrthodoxJew on February 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Short version: I’m a higher-priced whore.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Jason58 on February 4, 2016 at 12:18 PM

LOL! That’s fine.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2016 at 12:21 PM

thread over

DanMan on February 4, 2016 at 12:22 PM

I’m more PO’d that Chrispie Chreme did NOTHING about the people hit by NJ’s unconstitutional fascist gun control, or even the laws themselves, until he decided to run for Pres.

dentarthurdent on February 4, 2016 at 12:22 PM

verbaluce on February 4, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Will wonders never cease – I actually liked those comments – fuuuunnny.

dentarthurdent on February 4, 2016 at 12:25 PM

You don’t go walking arm in arm down the boardwalk.

Rogue on February 4, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Better yet, tell His Majesty that we need the airspace and transportation systems to get aid INTO the affected area and victims OUT, and that we aren’t going to shut it down all day so his flying armada can get in and out.

ConstantineXI on February 4, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Maybe they didn’t go all the way but it sure looked like he liked Barry as much as he likes mashed potatoes with gravy.

DeweyWins on February 4, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Just saw an ad by Rubio, against Cruz and Trump.

Yet, the Atlantic called the punk “the one who took Trump’s ideas and ran with them”.

I like irony, a lot.

Schadenfreude on February 4, 2016 at 12:27 PM

And BTW:

A few days after the hug, when Obama was reelected, Christie was among the first to call Obama to congratulate him on his victory. He got around to making a condolence call to Mitt Romney the next day- kind of odd given that Christie was the head of the RGA at the time.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Yeah, you didn’t. “Oral sex does not count.” –Bill Clinton

Rix on February 4, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Christi is probably technically correct. His belly won’t let him get his arms completely around Barry.

Nomennovum on February 4, 2016 at 12:30 PM

OT or not

“Who sent you here, Bernie?”

Schadenfreude on February 4, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Obozo still has the blue dress with Christie’s chocolate covered fingerprints on it to prove it.

Flange on February 4, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Obama wanted to go to NYC and Bloomberg said “no” because it would distract from the recovery operations going on. Why didn’t Christie take the same approach? It’s not like he showed up with one of those big checks like they hand to lottery winners.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Let’s not forget this classic ‘Christie’….

[Bulman] said when he told Mr. Christie he is from upstate New York, “he said, ‘I’m not much different from Andrew Cuomo. I probably agree with him on 98% of the issues.’

Does it really matter if it was an ‘official’ hug or not? The voters perceived it as a hug – and it did damage which added to the self-inflicted damage Romney was doing to himself.

Northeast Republicans generally aren’t conservatives. They might hold one or two key conservative principles – like fiscal conservatism, but they tend to be moderates at best, and left leaning Republicans at worst. (John Lindsay, Nelson Rockefeller, Christine Todd Whitman come to mind as examples.)

Athos on February 4, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Christie is hurting our beloved MaRu. We must dig up a 3 year old petty insult and remind everybody of it.

tommylotto on February 4, 2016 at 12:41 PM

The hug was consensual.

It wasn’t hug rape.

SpongePuppy on February 4, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Great question. Would be interesting if one of the debate moderators dropped that one on Chris.

There’s still a lot of very upset people along the Jersey shore, btw, for the way that Christie handled the federal aid and the pace with which it was doled out as well as some of the decisions that were forced down on some of the townships.

Athos on February 4, 2016 at 12:43 PM

iirc with obama it was arms around each other while walking and crying after a hug by bruce springsteen.
but I may be remembering wrong.
he had a bromance during the storm with obama though.

dmacleo on February 4, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Bye America

Schadenfreude on February 4, 2016 at 12:50 PM

He hugged him too?!!

TerryW on February 4, 2016 at 12:52 PM

I thought I remembered them walking hand in hand along the beach

Fallon on February 4, 2016 at 12:53 PM

The hand on the shoulder thing is an Obama Trademark, it says to me you are my bitch.

Our retard PM Trudeau also does it.

Pegcity on February 4, 2016 at 12:53 PM

I can’t give you the poll, don’t ask, but I think I saw a recent poll and immigration is only very important to 13% of the GOP.

It is an issue, of course. But just not the top concern of very many people. And I imagine that most of those are already solidly in the Trump camp. So I doubt he is a goner. Because we know.

petunia on February 4, 2016 at 12:06 PM

The Iowa entrance polls indicated that immigration was the top issue for just 13% of Republican caucus voters. That might be what you are thinking of.

In national polls of adults over the past six months, it’s ranged from 5 to 10%.

*I* think it is a very important issue. It’s out of control. But I think we have to admit that it’s not as important to most voters as it is Hotair readers, or those in some other conservative online haunts. It’s not even as important to as many Republican voters as we like to think. It will be a major issue in the rest of the primary campaign and in the general – just not with the intensity that we like to think it will be.

The_Jacobite on February 4, 2016 at 12:56 PM

It was not only the big fat kiss.
It was mostly the when of it.

We won’t forget.

g6loq on February 4, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Bingo. Christie couldn’t stop gushing about how Obama had ridden in to save the day when Obama didn’t do a thing but show up for a one day photo op. I recall the howls on HA that after this Christie was dead to them. It really helped turn around Obama’s campaign.

tommyboy on February 4, 2016 at 1:00 PM

He never hugged him.

obama was standing too close and he absorbed him.

hawkdriver on February 4, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Not The Tarmac.

This Is What Pi$$ed People Off.

budfox on February 4, 2016 at 1:22 PM

like Groucho Marx told that old woman in his films. She told him to hold her closer. He said if I hold you any closer I will be in back of you.

Senator Philip Bluster on February 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Yeah? What about the side hug, walking in steps together while laughing and gazing into each other’s eyes?

Kokonut on February 4, 2016 at 1:44 PM

There was no tongue involved.
I think…

albill on February 4, 2016 at 1:45 PM

The timing was very unfortunate. He had just been the biggest critic. It helped Obama and took the wind out of the attacks.

And even though I do realize it wasn’t Christie’s fault… something about it still is hard to get past.

petunia on February 4, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Not The Tarmac.

This Is What Pi$$ed People Off.

budfox on February 4, 2016 at 1:22 PM

Yeah, it was the whole thing… really bad for the campaign.

petunia on February 4, 2016 at 1:50 PM

More proof of that hug…a full blown hug!

Kokonut on February 4, 2016 at 1:53 PM

When kristy kreme did hug jerry jones,jumping up and down, his gut looked like two puppies fighting in a pillowcase…..

Indiana Jim on February 4, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Why the change in photo Jazz? You want one that really works? Try this.

Bmore on February 4, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Their bodies came close and closer; their eyes met affectionately, indeed lovingly; their hands interlaced as a frisson of excitement ignited their mutual passion.

Sounds like a hug to me.

bobs1196 on February 4, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Why is he calling Obama “civilized”? That’s a worst scandal than a hug.

Buddahpundit on February 4, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Kokonut on February 4, 2016 at 1:44 PM

This. You can give your friends a hug sometimes like if their mom dies or something and it’s okay but you don’t walk like that with them on the friggin beach. This is way worse than “hug”.

Buddahpundit on February 4, 2016 at 4:11 PM

“and the POTUS tends to go to such places as part of allocating emergency management funds.”

I could be mistaken, but other than butting in on racial tension issues, I don’t recall Obama EVER going to a disaster area; other than NJ just before the 2012 election.

SoldiersMom on February 4, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Christie looks like Fat Bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I can’t believe he is in good health.

edrebber on February 4, 2016 at 4:40 PM

They’re discussing an intimate dinner for two.

Obama asks him how he likes dog…Christie: “You mean like hot dogs?”…Obama: “Sort of”…

bluesdoc70 on February 4, 2016 at 5:27 PM

I’m much more bothered by the metaphorical fellatio . . .

DrZin on February 4, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Chrispy, you shoudda brought a mop instead of the skinny muslim socialist…we coudda used the help.

AppraisHer on February 5, 2016 at 4:08 AM

Perry Mason never shook hands with anyone because he didn’t want to be coopted by a wrongdoer.

Younggod on February 5, 2016 at 5:30 AM

Short memory do you have, Christi? Have you seen the picture of you hugging him? It is still out there. Phony establishment creep who wants to continue on the public tit because his final term as governor coming right up and he needs money!

Roselle on February 5, 2016 at 11:13 AM