Chicago teachers union rejects contract offer, will likely go on strike

posted at 8:41 pm on February 2, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

Whenever you’re feeling down in the dumps, distressed at the turn of events in the world or simply empty inside, just remember one thing: you could always live in Chicago, so things could be worse. (With apologies, if you happen to actually live in Chicago. I got nothing for ya.) Out in the Windy City there’s been a cavalcade of news surrounding the administration of Rahm Emanuel, his police department, his budget, his crime rate and all manner of disasters. But this story has to do with the teachers union. After months of tense negotiations with the city, talks over their new contract have broken down and they may be going on strike. (Yahoo News)

A bargaining team for the Chicago teachers’ union on Monday unanimously rejected a contract offer from the financially troubled city, raising the possibility of a strike and possibly causing a new embarrassment for embattled Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

The rejection means the union and Chicago Board of Education will enter a final stage of talks to avert a possible strike, which could come as early as May 23.

Chicago Public Schools officials had been hoping to relay positive developments on its teachers’ contract to potential buyers of its $875 million of bonds expected to sell this week. On Friday, the district was hit with another downgrade of its already-junk rating.

Speaking of bad news, that last sentence is worth revisiting if you missed it on the first read. The Public Schools group got hit with yet another downgrade of their already-junk rating. It’s almost as if investors don’t want to flush their money into bonds to prop up a system with no apparent method of repaying them. Imagine the insolence.

These talks actually looked like they were going somewhere last year. With the schools falling apart financially, city negotiators made it sound as if the unions had come to their senses and realized that they were going to have to carry some of the cost of their pensions and other highly generous benefits. They still wanted a raise, but they sounded like they were at least willing to consider a smaller one. And all of that came after they nearly went to mediation in November.

The Chicago Teachers Union wants to launch a final stage of contract negotiations later this month, on the same day its members plan to take to downtown streets in a show of force amid deadlocked talks.

Union President Karen Lewis did not, however, demand to have a three-person panel broker a potential agreement, a union attorney said Tuesday, which would have triggered a “fact-finding” process necessary before teachers can walk off the job.

Union leaders have said they will soon make that demand, though, and a recent letter from Lewis to Chicago Board of Education negotiators signals how the CTU wants to advance a negotiating process laid out by state law.

Well, that didn’t work. And now, assuming nothing productive comes of 11th hour talks, they will need to go back to their members and ask them vote on going on strike again. I say “again” because we just went through this in 2012 but they’re back to the table for more. It’s not like the city didn’t already have enough problems on their hands… do they really need all the kids shut out and roaming the streets instead of being in class? I wonder if Rahm couldn’t just come up with some sort of online education plan with a cheap entry cost and just shut the schools down? If nothing else it would probably get the teachers back to the negotiations a bit quicker.

TeachersUnion

Comments

How can teachers strike? Are parents supposed to lay out of work to care for their kids?

celt on February 2, 2016 at 8:43 PM

In a normal world the Democrat primaries would be having a thoughtful discussion on how to address the various issues urban areas are facing, instead we get the liar and sandanista.

rob verdi on February 2, 2016 at 8:44 PM

…to be repeated a thousand times in a thousand different school districts throughout the Country…wait until the market tanks…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 2, 2016 at 8:48 PM

With the state of public education these days, the kids will be better off when these indoctrinators/baby sitters go on strike.

rbj on February 2, 2016 at 8:49 PM

…love that picture at the bottom…nailed it Jazz…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 2, 2016 at 8:50 PM

possibly causing a new embarrassment for embattled Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

…who’s the comedian that wrote ^ that?

JugEarsButtHurt on February 2, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Jazzy Jazz

C’mon man, get real. Ain’t no way a democrat, especially this one, has that much sense.

cozmo on February 2, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Dodged a bullet, I live in the ‘burbs but we’ll probably end up paying anyway.

Wonder if Rahm’s watched the beginning of House of Cards…?

Fallon on February 2, 2016 at 8:53 PM

The only thing more dangerous than Chicago students being out on the streets….

….is the Chicago Teechas being out on the streets…

viking01 on February 2, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Good! No learning is better than active indoctrination.

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 8:58 PM

celt on February 2, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Don’t be that guy, don’t be the guy that thinks you need the state to be your babysitter.

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Wonder if Rahm’s watched the beginning of House of Cards…?

Fallon on February 2, 2016 at 8:53 PM

In my Netflix queue … recommend? Or no?

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 8:59 PM

rob verdi on February 2, 2016 at 8:44 PM

…this IS “normal” for the Leftist retards…why have a discussion on something that isn’t considered a problem..??

…stuttering incompetent mayors, unionized citizens and a middle class crushed into paying for it all…pick nearly any big city in America and they’re all the same…

…Chicago isn’t the exception that needs to be addressed…it’s the model…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 2, 2016 at 9:00 PM

In my Netflix queue … recommend? Or no?

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 8:59 PM

If I remember correctly, there’s a teachers’ strike in the beginning…

I only watched the first three episodes. I couldn’t willingly suspend my disbelief to believe the premise, but many people love the series. I’d tell you the moment that I tapped out but I don’t want to spoil it for you, lol.

Fallon on February 2, 2016 at 9:02 PM

which could come as early as May 23.

That’s probably the end of the school year anyways. So you have till September Rahm to help these half wits you have teaching your kids to understand that you have no money.

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 9:02 PM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Fact of life when one has kids and needs two incomes to live. The Ex and I planned vacation days around SCHEDULED out of school days so one of us would be home. (We also arranged schedules to someone there in the morning and in afternoon – sucked for marriage, but good for kids.)

But go ahead – hop up on that soap-box and tell me and Ex and any other struggling parent just trying to do the right thing that THEY are the problem and see how well that works out for ya …

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 9:03 PM

So, watch. The teachers abandon the classroom to go picket for the next 12 weeks and, while they’re gone, the kids’ standardized test scores go up 50 percent.

What does that tell you?

FlameWarrior on February 2, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Fallon on February 2, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Thanks, Fallon! It is a bit further down in queue, but heard good things and was wondering if I should bump it up or not. And no worries about playing spoiler; I like to make up my own mind and would’ve have watched anyway. :)

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 9:06 PM

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Prolly’ ain’t a parent. Especially not a single one doing it on a single income.

cozmo on February 2, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Looks around for my violin.

Limerick on February 2, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Fact of life when one has kids and needs two incomes to live.

No it’s not a fact of live. This is why it doesn’t make any difference if Trump, Cruz or zombie Goldwater gets in, the vast majority of even so called conservatives believe they are entitled to Social Security, Medicare and now add Day Care to the list.

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Looks around for my violin.

Limerick on February 2, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Wouldn’t waste the time on a bunch of two-year-old, mentally deficient, narcissistic, whiny-assed crybabies.

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Looks around for my violin.

Limerick on February 2, 2016 at 9:08 PM

…found it…

Pelosi Schmelosi on February 2, 2016 at 9:14 PM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Wow! If I were less charitable I would be highly offended by that comment!

But a Trump or even zombie Goldwater is better than nearly everyone else on either side, with the exception of Cruz (love his Conservative credentials excepting immigration).

But after taking own advice of Deep Breaths … you are generally correct. Way too many people on each side of the aisle LOVE their government benes.

BTW – not being offended is taking way more effort than it should as NEVER partook of any of that crap. All I can say is this Christian charity crap really sucks some times …

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Chicago teachers union rejects contract offer, will likely go on strike

Chicago teachers union… churning out thugs, dropouts, losers…. Free Stuff voters.

Oh, sh!t, they better get those ‘teachers’ happy fast!

Voodoo Chile on February 2, 2016 at 9:25 PM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 9:11 PM

For most people its not daycare so much as it is structure. There are exceptions to that and we all know who those people are. School is required by the constitution and local school districts set the hours and days. People who work come to rely on that structure. Saying that school is daycare, is as wrong as it is condescending.

cozmo on February 2, 2016 at 9:28 PM

cozmo on February 2, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Thank you for stating what I was just too pissed off to state in any coherent manner.

Stupid entitled, elitist idiots in their strawman Ivory Towers somehow deeming that God is dead but they are now God and can pass judgement on others. Height of hubris. And anyone who knows anything of Tragedies knows Hubris is The Biggie … but then living in straw Ivory Towers doesn’t require a Classical education.

Just a note, lowandslow, Aristotle is your friend. :)

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 9:34 PM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 9:11 PM

And damn you for opening door to Aristotle and Plato on a bloody Tuesday night!

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 9:35 PM

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Settle down woman.

70’s mellow is much more cathartic than old dead Greek guys.

cozmo on February 2, 2016 at 9:40 PM

I went with Aaron Copeland and Fanfare for the Common Man as a nerd at heart … but you’re tune is very good too! :)

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 9:44 PM

…on the same day its members plan to take to downtown streets in a show of force amid deadlocked talks.

They spelled “dreadlocks” wrong.

Just sayin’.

Pain Train on February 2, 2016 at 9:45 PM

That pic never gets old.

Bishop on February 2, 2016 at 9:47 PM

recommend? Or no?

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016

Absolutely. You have my money back guarantee.

alanstern on February 2, 2016 at 9:49 PM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Steal from those that paid in and supported the system all their lives if it saves you a few bucks you ungradeful piss asnt.

You’re post tells me you’re either a younger part time woking person (because it’s easy that way) or you have few marketable skills and want someone else to pay your way

..or you’re an SOB who is self centered and would just as soon see everything taken away from older people who worked all their lives to make your life more convenient.

You will never win, you’re little BERN revolution will fail and you will either get off your ass or end up in the projects when logical people cut off the gravy train for you and your loser friends..

..good luck – loser.

celt on February 2, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Oh, sh!t, they better get those ‘teachers’ happy fast!

Voodoo Chile on February 2, 2016 at 9:25 PM

The parent(s) are the ones to blame.

alanstern on February 2, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Absolutely. You have my money back guarantee.

alanstern on February 2, 2016 at 9:49 PM

Sweet! That is two up-votes for it!

B-Day present to myself this weekend … bunch of fattening take-out and binge-watching House of Cards while reading Mencken & RON Paul. Thinking Reagan may be OK with that! :)

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 9:59 PM

celt on February 2, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Let me clue you in, it’s not that I want to see everything taken away, it’s that shortly it will. We’re printing and borrowing a trillion plus every year to pay for these programs, how do you think it will end? Or are you like the teachers in Chicago that despite the fact their state can’t pay for pensions and salaries already on the books that they think there is some magic money tree the state/city can pay them with?
We have no money and we have have an unfunded entitlement system that just by shear numbers will collapse upon itself shortly. This isn’t some vague problem that’s forty years down the road anymore, it’s happening now.
But go ahead and demonize me if it makes you feel better for pointing out the stark reality of the state of this nation and the people in it.

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 10:00 PM

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 9:59 PM

That’s just wrong.

Look here

cozmo on February 2, 2016 at 10:03 PM

celt on February 2, 2016 at 8:43 PM

slowandslower on February 2, 2016 at 8:59 PM

A) I don’t have kids.

B) I almost never use this word (but since you’re slow, it isn’t f**king).

C) You’re a f**king retard.

Even as someone without kids, I’ve worked with enough parents (and have watched my siblings) try to deal with the day-to-day struggles in trying to raise a family. I can only imagine what it must be like having the teacher’s union throw a monkey wrench like this into an already extremely difficult schedule to manage.

D) You’re an a**hole.

E) See C above.

Pain Train on February 2, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Yep, even with conservatives. It’s not about thinking, it’s all about feelings.

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 10:06 PM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 10:00 PM

Damn but have to agree with all of this!

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 10:08 PM

That’s just wrong.

Look here

cozmo on February 2, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Hello?!? Nerdy introvert here!

But I am doing Happy Hour with friends Friday! :)

Honestly – don’t like most people as they are just a”oles that are just exhausting by their very entitled existence.

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 10:13 PM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 10:00 PM

I have worked in the private sector since I was 16 and paid SS and every other tax since I was old enough for the Govt to take it out.

I owned a business for 12 years and paid double for SS back then..

I graduated with a college degree which I paid for personally and coming out in the 80s – it was about as bad now for jobs but I become a repo man for Rent-A-Center..because it paid better and I could afford to eat and have an apartment..we didn’t have EBT, subsidized rent..and all of that back then.

I have never been unemployed and in my mid 50s I bust it as hard as ever while looking forward to someday retiring..maybe…

Now, after all this I have people like you and others saying – let’s take all that money he put into the system with promises away…because the govt stole it…and that’s ok..??

BS – the govt can cut BS spending and BS handouts from those that don’t do crap or work for a living…cut programs – whatever before declaring SS is insolvent…

I can probably get along without it but this is about principle and I’m not alone in my sentiment. Before we simply bow down like sheep to government to commitments on all the money they’ve taken over decades – maybe we ask government to cut their spending first..then maybe we can talk about that?

celt on February 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 10:13 PM

So what!?

Who needs people. Look, you are in the center of a vibrant area. Plenty of places to to see, hear, touch and taste. Who knows how long you will in the metroplex? Get your ass out there and explore.

Irving, have you ever just walked around the mustangs at Las Colinas on a weekend when there aren’t people around? HeII, there is something to see at the Arboretum no matter what time of year it is.

Whatever your interests, there is something here to satisfy them. Get some ideas from coworkers or your friends during happy hour.

cozmo on February 2, 2016 at 10:19 PM

If Mayor Tiny Dancer did something that bold and useful, I’d write him in for President.
I believe however that my vote, currently reserved for Cruz, remains safe.

It’s a great idea, on a certain level. Easier said than done, but: Appealing. Anyone who’s seen the massive monolithic Chicago Public Schools building, containing I think around 10,000 employees (none of whom, y’know, teach) can immediately see what’s wrong with that school system.

Left Chicago six years ago. Happy, happy, happy.

orangemtl on February 2, 2016 at 10:27 PM

cozmo on February 2, 2016 at 10:19 PM

LOL! NO ONE knows how to get to the mustang statues! Definitely a commuter area. And doesn’t help that I am a distinct minority in the neighborhood – H1B or bust, baby! :)

Co-workers all have little kids so screwed there (was stupid and had kids while young and poor).

Oh well … weather is suppose to be nice and never been to OK, so seeing a day trip in the near future! :)

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 10:28 PM

Or my aybe I’ll start Hindi or Pushtu or Arabic language lessons just so I can talk to neighbors! :)

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Cut what? You can cut all of the discretionary spending, a 100%, all of it and we are only at a break even point with Defense and entitlement spending. That’s how bad our entitlement system is now, today. In ten years forget it, will be adding over two plus trillion to our already massive debt. And with each passing year it will only get worse till the whole fiscal/economic system collapses. Heck it could be earlier, anything could trigger this house of cards. We just don’t know because never in the history of the world has so much borrowed/printed/fake money been used to prop up the entire system. It’s going to bad, just how bad is yet to be seen but I wouldn’t put in hopes in seeing any of the money you gave the feds for Social Security in fifteen years.

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 10:34 PM

never been to OK, so seeing a day trip in the near future! :)

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 10:28 PM

Oh man, let me suggest the Lawton area and the Washita Wildlife refuge.

I’m a techno geek kind of guy, so Fort Sill and all the history there piques my interest. The drive to, and from, while not spectacular, isn’t boring.

cozmo on February 2, 2016 at 10:34 PM

They know Rahm is up against the ropes and won’t be willing to risk a PR disaster at this point. Remember: there is no term limit for Chicago mayor.

blammm on February 2, 2016 at 10:39 PM

In other words all you’re paying into Social Security and Medicare today is a tax the doesn’t cover the current outlays of Social Security and Medicare. There is is no lockbox, no trust, no savings account, nothing. Nothing but a stack of IOU’s that nobody can repay. But you keep believing that your entitled to something that just ain’t there.

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 10:42 PM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Damn but hate agreeing after wanting to kick your butt earlier!

But right is right and you are RIGHT.

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 10:51 PM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 10:42 PM

You’re wrong, the US has trillions of dollars in assets that cab be used to satisfy that debt – just like if I am an individual citizen were to take out a loan and refuse to pay.

How many billions of federal land are available as collateral? More than enough to cover the promises made to those of us who have paid into the system all our lives.

But I’d be willing to simply get back what I put in – I’ll even say no interest – ust pay me back what I put in which is documented on every statement I receive yearly and and I’ll sign off. Not in my best interest but better than nothing.

Now, all these young “disabled” people earning SS for life that I see strolling around my neighborhood walking their dogs every day…I’ll leave that one for another conversation..

celt on February 2, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Gotta love the Commentariat on this one.

Here’s my favorite

What does that tell you?

FlameWarrior on February 2, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Who says the social sciences aren’t experimental?

AesopFan on February 2, 2016 at 11:00 PM

celt on February 2, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Oh goody! So we are auctioning off our land as collateral on an unsecuritized loan?

Forgive me if no warm and fuzzies with that comment as essentially no different than auto title loan shops.

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 11:15 PM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Social security holds a huge hunk of my dollars — shoved into a pay as you go system which won’t be around for me by the time I’ve finished my retirement. Rather than structuring it as pay-in-advance so the money I put in gets invested for my retirement, that money is used to finance somebody’s current retirement (not my parents — one died at 55 and the other two months after turning 65). You will be paying to finance my retirement — and I will be sorely peeved if you decide I’m not worth it.

Medicare — since it came into existence, most employers don’t provide medical plans for their retired employees any more. Yes, the liberals have destroyed that marketplace too, so I’m dependent on the Government after I retire for my medical treatment. By the way, I’m paying for someone else’s medical treatment via medicare taxes that yield no current benefit to me, so guess who’s on the hook to pay for me — it’s you. Care to welsh out on that too?

Day care — in one big way it is. My sister in law, a retired LAUSD teacher, knew that, because she taught at the same elementary school she attended as a child — in downtown LA in a run down neighborhood. When the preppy teachers went out on strike, she stayed in the classroom, because she knew that if her kids weren’t in class, they’d be at home with nobody, because every parent in run down neighborhoods works to make ends meet. As a result, the union teachers made life hell for her — deliberately doing things to mess up discipline for her students and showing that, overall, they were not there for the children. She and another teacher, after the ’94 earthquake, held a fundraising drive to procure earthquake supplies for her school, and the union teachers absconded with the money and bought a copier for the union hall with it. Certainly they had the students’ best interest at heart with that move too.

Parents depend on their kids being in class so they can go to work and not worry about their kids having no adult supervision for a huge portion of the day.

I wish the Democrats had taken President Bush’s call to reform social security to heart. Hell, I’d even pay in extra as a worker to have the next generation at least partly oriented toward pay-in-advance, but it isn’t going to happen.

So yes, us conservatives are selfish. We expect the Government to make good on its promises, even when they aren’t really promises, according to Flemming v. Nestor.

unclesmrgol on February 3, 2016 at 12:10 AM

unclesmrgol on February 3, 2016 at 12:10 AM

+1000

unclesmrgol on February 3, 2016 at 12:10 AM

Would go one further – just leave us the F!!! ALONE! Is that too much to ask? To Expect?

Apparently it is …

smokeyblonde on February 3, 2016 at 12:15 AM

Sign at teacher strike: Unions our my cup of tea.

Our, not are. And they want a raise.

petunia on February 3, 2016 at 2:51 AM

This teachers union should be disbanded and all of its members sent back to school to learn to write/communicate properly – anyone read/understand the sign being held in the photo accompanying the article?

MSGTAS on February 3, 2016 at 6:20 AM

Chicago is broke. Illinois is broke. They can strike all they want, and that is not going to change.

Social security holds a huge hunk of my dollars

Yeah, that’s broke, too. So are the majority of these pension funds. RIAs, CDs, state retirement pension funds, stocks, mutual funds, municipal bonds, bank accounts, military retirement-it’s all an illusion at this point.

The PE Teacher in the Sky just hasn’t removed the needle from the record for the last time as of yet. There simply are not enough chairs for everyone. Most of them have been stolen, packed away somewhere safe, or are simply too dilapidated to sit on.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 3, 2016 at 6:32 AM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 10:00 PM

They do believe there is a magic money tree and it’s not dead yet. Many state, county and local employees have amassed small retirement fortunes from living off the goodwill and taxes of their neighbors. They see the skyscrapers (many live in them), the stunning wealth and social life that keeps the elite in Chicago. They want it. They want more of it. There is still more to take.

Rahm has no choice but to play up any high school age kids shot during the strike to try to shame the CTU into blinking. Karen Lewis is a lot like Hillary. Her reality and her facts are her own. It will be a fight to the pain.

Fallon on February 3, 2016 at 7:39 AM

smokeyblonde on February 2, 2016 at 10:28 PM

Please don’t come to OK! I would think Arkansas would fit your style better. They don’t wear shoes over there and they seem to like hillary-style smokey blondes. You can also marry your own family.

Old Country Boy on February 3, 2016 at 8:14 AM

Teachers will go on strike, and the union leaders will be cheering them on, as they pull down their hefty paychecks, sitting in their lavish offices…

Go teachers…hit the streets, the union is behind you, right behind you, over there, in their offices having lunch on your dime.

right2bright on February 3, 2016 at 8:46 AM

celt on February 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Social Security, and union pensions, backed by political allies that they placed in power is totally different.

Pensions, my sister-in-law retired from teaching with 80% of her pay, average pay of the last three years…and here is what was included.

She worked summer school, so that was considered time and a half, she had a ridiculous amount of vacation time that was counted as double time…and she did some after school programs (still worked from 8 to 4)…and that was counted, all added into the average of the final three years.

She retired at “80%”, but it was actually over 100% of her annual salary, plus lifetime medical/dental/eye care, everything…for life. Plus a cost of living increase each year on the pension…

So, she retired with about $85,000 a year for the rest of her life and no medical bills…and her pensions “payments” were figured into her salary increases.

That is quite a bit of difference than us who paid into SS and received a portion of it back…

Biggest mistake I made, my wife and I not taking teacher jobs and living off the fat of the government (the public)…

right2bright on February 3, 2016 at 8:58 AM

That pic never gets old.
Bishop on February 2, 2016 at 9:47 PM

It’s rich with cruel irony… “Class, who can give me a grammatically-correct sentence containing the phrase ‘our my’?”

Marcola on February 3, 2016 at 12:22 PM

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 8:59 PM

No matter what your plan or schedule is, disrupting it is a hardship. If someone sends their kids to public school they plan on their kids being in school on specific dates and times and plan accordingly, usually by committing to work. It would be the same if they sent their kid to any organization that closed for some reason. Would you be on his case if he were lamenting that his private school was closing without warning? How about a cancelled church or scout camp? Any of those would be a hardship if you are planning on them and then they aren’t available.

MC88 on February 3, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Any day when one learns that Rahm is going to be hectored by that plump, tan woman, Teachers Union President Karen Lewis, is a pleasant day.

Mason on February 3, 2016 at 2:45 PM

“Chicago teachers union rejects contract offer, will likely go on strike”

—GREAT, then chicago student might have a shot at getting an education !!!!

MicahStone on February 3, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Fact of life when one has kids and needs two incomes to live.

lowandslow on February 2, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Wow dude, that’s pretty messed up. Working two jobs to make an honest buck and make ends meet (unlike the deadbeats who don’t work at all, pay any taxes and actually do think they’re entitled) these working-family people don’t seem to be asking for any special treatment or hand-outs; day care or otherwise. Just for the damn school teachers to do the job that the two-job families are paying taxes for them to do. The teachers walking out does put a burden on people who have to take time off from their job (if their boss lets them or, God-forbid, they get fired for it and really become another burden on society). How is that asking for some kind of hand-out? In my case, I’ve paid into SS for fifty-plus years and I want my money back. How is that a hand-out? As for medicare, I’ll just use the VA medical benefits I earned from a full lifetime of serving for your sorry ass that I’m just “dying” to use. Some hand out. You sure picked the right handle; low (down) and slow (witted). Pathetic.

Big John on February 4, 2016 at 2:35 PM