Trump financials: Lots of promotion, little organization?

posted at 10:01 am on February 1, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

Can Donald Trump convert enthusiasm to votes? Tonight’s caucuses will give at least one data point toward answering that question, but his financials might provide a sneak peek. The required quarterly report showed that Trump plowed nearly $11 million into his campaign from his personal funds, and did spend about $7 million in Q4. But as Ken Vogel reports for Politico, the expenditures weren’t exactly focused on traditional organization:

A significant portion of that, $940,000, was spent on campaign paraphernalia, including yard signs, bumper stickers, buttons, t-shirts and, of course, hats. In fact, about $450,000 ― or nearly 7 percent of all Trump’s fourth-quarter spending ― went towards hats, presumably including the now-iconic hats bearing Trump’s campaign slogan, “Make America Great Again.”

That’s more money than the campaign paid its data vendor L2 (which received $235,000 for “research consulting”) or than it spent on strategy consulting ($281,000). It’s almost as much as the campaign spent on field consulting ($551,000) or payroll ($518,000).

Trump’s campaign did spend $793,000 on expenses related to the mega-rallies that have become his campaign’s hallmarks, as well as $459,000 on expenses related to having his name appear on primary election ballots.

But his highly unconventional campaign spending is likely to fuel questions about whether his campaign has built enough infrastructure to convert the energy he’s tapped into votes.

The L2 connection is significant, as I explained about a month ago when it came to light. I worked with L2 when writing my book Going Red, and they have a serious database for voter profiling. More importantly, one doesn’t contract with a firm like L2 unless one wants to keep the option for native data collection and analysis. Trump’s campaign had already gotten access to the RNC’s formidable database (which I also researched for my book), so the need for L2 only exists if a campaign wants to extend out those efforts in-house.

With these numbers, though, it appears that all they did was keep the option open. Bear in mind that these figures are national spending data, not just in Iowa. Trump’s team spent slightly over a million dollars on personnel for an entire quarter, which doesn’t seem anywhere near enough to staff up to the traditional level needed for Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada, all of whom will hold their primaries or caucuses in February. Vogel notes that Cruz took in $47 million, and it’s a cinch that much of that cash got spent on the ground, especially in Iowa and South Carolina. Hillary Clinton got $112 million, and given the challenge from Sanders, she’s also likely to have spent it all. While it’s possible that Trump opened up his wallet and spent big in January (which would be after the report time parameters), it’s difficult to organize at the last minute like that, especially with a crowded field already established in the state.

Ah, but the traditional consideration is the rub. Can Trump’s celebrity trump the need for a ground organization to turn out the vote? That has been the question all along. For a while, some figured that the question would remain theoretical, and that Trump would surprise with a big spending spree as the caucuses approached to secure his status. Now it seems clear that the traditional-versus-celebrity models will compete head-to-head tonight. If this gamble fails to pay off for Trump, that might have significant consequences eight days from now in New Hampshire as well.

Update: Some are celebrating the end of the consultant class, but it’s worth noting that Trump has spent slightly more on consultants than on payroll in his own organization. He just hasn’t spent nearly as much on either as other campaigns likely have.

Update: The flip side to my original conclusion would be that a win in Iowa for Trump makes it very likely for him to run the table without too much effort. And here’s something to keep in mind, too. The RNC is already doing most of the necessary ground-organization effort for the eventual nominee, while the DNC is leaving that to the nominee. A Trump general election would have, essentially, both approaches.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

jmell7. Schad was around last night.

Indiana Jim on February 1, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Thanks. Saw him on another thread this morning. Just would not have been right had he and several others on here had missed a night like tonight.

jmell7 on February 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM

It’s been a self-banning, I got sick of the duplicitous nature of the mods saying one thing here while stating their true feelings on twitter because doing it there doesn’t cost them clicks here, and that’s the coward’s path. Every mod here with the possible exception of Jazz Shaw thinks we’re idiots.

I’ll still pop in from time to time to talk with my digital pals but HotGas isn’t what it used to be, they’re censoring themselves. Or maybe HotGas will finally zap me and that will be that. Find yourself a new site where all the candidates get closely examined, not just the usurper who is upsetting the precious Party apple cart.

I dug pretty deep and found some small blogs whose few commenters had far more unbiased insight than I could ever hope to produce, not rogerb insight because that dude can produce gold out of lead, but still very good comments. I’ll bet rogerb hasn’t been for a while either, people are dropping away faster than GBU’s from a Stealth bomber.

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Other fellow billionaires, such as famed investor Carl Icahn and real estate developer Phil Ruffin, contributed $1 million, too. And a website that Trump set up early Thursday morning brought in another $500,000, the presidential candidate said.

One donor Trump named during the donor roll call Thursday has a shady past. J.J. Cafaro, a mall developer from Cleveland, pleaded guilty in 2001 to bribing former Ohio Rep. Jame Traficante to help an aviation equipment company he owned. Cafaro later testified against Traficante but was arrested in 2010 for lying to federal officials about a loan he gave to his daughter’s congressional campaign.

Cafaro gave $50,000 to Trump’s veterans cause.

voiceofreason on February 1, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Isn’t Carl Icahn the guy Trump has picked to handle our foreign policy with China?

butch on February 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM

IF Hot Air goes the way of LGF, my guess is that the up and coming powerhouse The Conservative Treehouse will take its place as the go to Conservative blog.

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Yeah I do like that one. Comments section is ok, not as good as here but still decent. DEFINITELY more conservative than here and they actually expose a lot of the behind-the-scenes lies and actual conspiracies that go on.

Haven’t signed up to comment there, but I just might need to look into it.

Paperclips on February 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Hm, ok well where do we go if that happens?

The reason I hang out here mostly is because I like the comments system.

Disqus to me is awful, which is why I don’t comment on Breitbart.

Paperclips on February 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:04 AM

I don’t think Hot Air is ever going to initiate a mass ban. That could cost Ed and AP their jobs; traffic would collapse. Salem might be dumb enough to order them to do it, but I don’t think so. They want to make money, after all. LGF was just a case of one guy going insane.

If something like that DID happen, I’d probably migrate to Ace and/or Conservative Treehouse, or maybe I’d start commenting on Instapundit since the Professor finally added comments a few years back.

I’d miss the commenters here a lot, though.

Doomberg on February 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Like how Trump’s health care plan will “take care of everyone”, because he doesn’t want “people dying in the streets for want of a single pill”.

Lashrambo

You mean like how Reagan didn’t want people dying in the streets because emergency rooms were turning them away so he signed something called EMTALA?

xblade on February 1, 2016 at 11:14 AM

I’ve been at Instapundit, it’s a nice change without the hacking away at each other, the Perfesserr wouldn’t allow it.

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM

I’d miss the commenters here a lot, though.

Doomberg on February 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Yea, that was one of the biggest hits when being banned from LGF. It took time to find old digital friends or recognize them with their new names at sites like Hot Air.

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

What’s the reason some of y’all are saying HA is possibly going to go the LGF route?

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

OUCH, this is going to leave a mark:

Sarah Palin: ‘Wasn’t Hard’ To Choose Between Donald Trump And Ted Cruz

Garyinaz66 on February 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Megyn’s weird gotcha games and candidate stalking have given Trumpster millions in free publicity.

viking01 on February 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

I didn’t get into blogging until HA-tho I’ve heard plenty about LGF and know what occurred there.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Agreed. He(Reynolds) runs a tight ship.

tanked59 on February 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Just reminiscing about what happened to LGF and what we would do if what happened there were to happen here. Somebody made a comment about LGF and paperclips asked who/what LGF was. Not any real anticipation that Hot air will go all LGF.

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM

voiceoftreason on February 1, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Many of Trump’s major charitable donations come from him personally, not from his foundation, which seems to be an afterthought.

But I wouldn’t expect you to know the difference.

Trump’s son, Executive Vice President of Development and Acquisitions for the Trump Organization, runs a charity that has donated $28 million to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Joseph K on February 1, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Not directly to the campaign but to donny’s vet exploitation fund… None the less, support for trump.

voiceoftreason on February 1, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Comprehension is your friend fossten. I said I was reserving judgement on the distribution of the funds. I never in any way diminished my charge of exploiting the vets. That is what it is.

voiceofreason on February 1, 2016 at 11:00 AM

You are a real piece of work.

NWConservative on February 1, 2016 at 11:24 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Oh, okay…was wondering. I don’t see HA turning into LGF.
The only time I saw something crazy here-if you recall was when Malkin sold the site and when there were changes..people voiced their opinion and AP went on a banning spree that was uncalled for. That shocked me.

btw..u havent given me a hug in a while. {{{OW}}} :)

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:27 AM

You are a real piece of work.

NWConservative on February 1, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Coming from your kind, that is a compliment.

voiceofreason on February 1, 2016 at 11:28 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM

I’ve been bouncing around the net since, well, before the net was the net. In the 1990’s I ran a couple of small BBS, can’t even remember their names anymore, though I probably still have them on a old harddrive somewhere. One was a Renegade BBS the other a WildCat BBS.

I registered at LGF back in 2001 or 2002, was there pretty much for the whole fireworks show.

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Haven’t signed up to comment there, but I just might need to look into it.

Paperclips on February 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Agree on many of your comments here. TheConservativeTreehouse impressed me when they put up an article evaluating the RNC rule changes against the delegate counts and primary states. They exposed how the RNC was trying to rig the rules so that non-establishment couldn’t win. They also explained why Kasich entered the race (which had me scratching my head for weeks). The establishment got candidates to run from key states so that in the case of a brokered convention, they could dump their votes into one candidate (Bush). The approach made sense, but Trump is still destroying it.

HotAir used to offer good inciteful articles, instead of the shallow click-bait they offer now.

dominigan on February 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM

btw..u havent given me a hug in a while. {{{OW}}} :)

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Thank you, now that I’m practically bald, I can use all the hugs I can get… {{{bazil9}}}

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Thanks for this.

I don’t pay much attention to Twitter, except that my blog posts get automatically tweeted.

So the SalemHotAir bloggers are going full Unhinged on Trump on Twitter, more so than they are here… Because they know they will LOSE what audience they have left.

Interesting, and I’ll start paying closer attention to that.

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:29 AM

I’ve heard so many stories by so many people how it was a great site and then it did a 180-with C Johnson going crazy and they were banned.

Remember that night here with killgoretrout (sp?) and his racist rant in the middle of the night to smear HA?

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM

lol..oh please. You look good!

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:34 AM

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM

That incident is why you still can’t use the name of Han Solo’s best friend’s species on this site.

Woo(deleted)

Yep, still can’t use that word here.

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:36 AM

OUCH, this is going to leave a mark:

Sarah Palin: ‘Wasn’t Hard’ To Choose Between Donald Trump And Ted Cruz

Garyinaz66 on February 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM

Ouch is right…
I’m what people call a Palinista- love her to death
and her endorsement was of interest to me.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:36 AM

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Yep-I remember all that.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM

If Trump win Iowa, that is the end of the Iowa Caucuses and their first-in-the nation status. For years they’ve told us how exacting they are, needing to meet each candidate three times, blah blah blah… Trump has done no retail campaigning, rather opting for YUGE rallies and having no ground game to speak of. Iowa’s special process will be shown to be a lot of BS. Good riddance, too.

We have a national election day, so we need a national primary day. All 50 states, one shot.

HornHiAceDeuce on February 1, 2016 at 11:39 AM

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM

That’s another reason I like Jazz..he doesn’t pull that shit.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:39 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:29 AM

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Yea, I remember that. It was a desperate attempt by LGF to start a blog war between Hot Air, (where a very large number of banned LGF commentors had gone) and LGF in a pathetically failed attempt to keep LGF relevant.

Johnson lost his mind and couldn’t understand why his site was crashing in both popularity and value. At one point Johnson was hitting the cable news guest circuit on an almost weekly basis, then as soon as he started the mass purges, it was over so fast he never knew what hit him.

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM

That’s another reason I like Jazz..he doesn’t pull that shit.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Consider that the first tweet I ever sent was to tell Obama (in response to his own first tweet he actually made himself) to Go “Fluke” Himself, Ed and Allah better watch out if they want to play the hypocrite game…

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Coming from your kind, that is a compliment.

voiceofreason on February 1, 2016 at 11:28 AM

What kind is that, bigot?

fossten on February 1, 2016 at 11:43 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM

That’s my understanding. The guy sounds crazy from everything I’ve heard over the years. What an idiot..he had something quite successful and exterminated it.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:46 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM

I remember during the episode he said that 9/11 made him conservative but that he found out that he couldn’t stand it and had to bring back his inner Leftist… It was like SNAP, overnight LGF went from being the best conservative playground on the Intertubes to MSNBC The Blog. Of COURSE his audience left!

So what is Ed and Allah’s excuse?

I notice HotAir doesn’t get awards at CPAC anymore these days…

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Hey Bishop, good to see you doing well. :-)

You’re right about rogerb, I haven’t seen him in awhile. I’m sort of hoping the old gang comes back together again after this election, but I dunno. I get the sense from your post that humpty dumpty might not get put back together again.

Doomberg on February 1, 2016 at 11:47 AM

HornHiAceDeuce on February 1, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Quit projecting. If Iowa chooses Trump the only thing it will mean, is that Iowa chose a candidate you don’t like. Period, end of Story.

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:48 AM

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:43 AM

I don’t Twitter but I’ve heard from people here that
AP (don’t know about Ed) use Twitter to make fun of us-members of the site.
Thats when I lost respect for AP.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Doomberg on February 1, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Rogerb isn’t the only one, look at all the peeps who have walked, good commenters who weren’t nasty or provocative. Now compare that list to the human garbage who are allowed to stay here because it’s good for clicks regardless of what they say.

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:43 AM

I don’t Twitter but I’ve heard from people here that
AP (don’t know about Ed) use Twitter to make fun of us-members of the site.
Thats when I lost respect for AP.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM

oh… They have no idea what’s about to hit them… :)

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM

I notice HotAir doesn’t get awards at CPAC anymore these days…

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Even the last few open registrations brought little new blood here.
Just a bunch of socks.
I’ve been here 8 yrs..many good people left..HA just isn’t the same..it started eroding after Malkin sold.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:53 AM

oh… They have no idea what’s about to hit them… :)

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM

It’s LGF all over again. Salem has already torched RedState to the ground (though to be fair Erickson is just as much to blame) and HotAir has been in decline, really ever since the sale. Does anyone even mention Twitchy anymore?

I really don’t understand why Salem is so invested in Amnesty. But they sure are!

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Chuckie wasn’t the first to do that, nor will he be the last. He was though, perhaps one of, if not the, most dramatic at doing it. Usually what happens is that after achieving that level of success, it ends up going to the head of whomever is in charge, and they start believing that they are why their business is so successful, rather than attributing it where their success really is coming from, which would be their customer base.

Trying to evolve your customer base is what usually destroys businesses like blogs, newspapers or other media businesses. You have to accept your primary customer base for who and what they are. They are what keeps you in business.

Yea, thats a little something that I learned as a Rock Star. Don’t outgrow your audience, don’t try to evolve your fan-base. Not if you want to continue having a strong customer base. Most importantly, you are only as successful as the strength of your customer base.

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Doomberg on February 1, 2016 at 11:47 AM

The only other place I post much is Breitbart. But their comments sections go too far in the OTHER direction. Too many crazies there and there isn’t any moderation.

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:58 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Good points,OW.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 12:01 PM

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Agree. I was on LGF for a while, but left when Charles lost his mind and started banning people over being Christian. I don’t think I was banned, but I left and never went back. It became toxic. What has been happening at HotAir feels a little like deja vu. But I don’t know that it will have the same outcome because HotAir is managed by many people, and not just one egomaniac.

But I have started to DETEST the two-faced approach many of the article writers have been using, with Twitter comments about their readers. They think they’re getting away with it, but they’re not. We’re just biding our time, evaluating alternatives. But I think there will be some fireworks when Trump starts sweeping the states. They’re desperate and it shows.

dominigan on February 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Yes, the slow bleed has been ugly. It’s really kicked into overdrive recently though. I definitely noticed when you left and that started me wondering what had happened to everyone else.

I was looking at that thread discussing the fall of LGF, and was taken aback by just how many good commenters from that thread I no longer see around.

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM

There are so, so, so many businesses and websites and even political parties which really need to hear this. Great comment.

Doomberg on February 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Good points,OW.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 12:01 PM

ROTFLMAO… Funny thing, so many people do not understand failing at business (which I did spectacularly with my Record Company back in the 1990’s) teaches you some pretty amazing things about what it takes to be successful at business. Chalk it up to, things learned the hard way.

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Doomberg on February 1, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Don’t know about him, but some have been banned…they got a little crazy falsely accusing people, just going to far.

There will be more…and after the election, most of the “supporters” you will never see post again.

When McCain/Palin was running, we had one great poster all in on them, I called him out as being paid…and got skewered by everyone. Palin supporters were very much like Trump supporters, not as nasty, but they were the “first”…they were relentless in attacking me, because I kept calling him out.

He was not a “howler” he posted some great posts, and was positive in his support for Palin…funny guy.

After the election, he confessed on HotAir, he was a paid shill, he even emailed me personally and and said I was the only person who blew his cover, of all the postings he did on other sites.

Every election, the same cycle, angry frustrated posters…who after the election, we never see again.

right2bright on February 1, 2016 at 12:06 PM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM

LGF descended into madness almost overnight. No chance of that happening here. The danger here is of the staff becoming so milquetoast and establishment hidebound that it isn’t worth posting here.

I admit Ed has become institutionalized to some degree. He was a call center guy blogging in his spare time back in the CQ days. His input was always civil, but unfiltered and raw. Allah’s original blog was riotous. He was a lot like Ace back then, very rough and tumble. At some point he chose to become a hit hunter, I think after his first success with eeyoreishness in 2012(?)

I’ve not observed any inclination toward bannings beyond common sense ones so far, but admittedly I don’t track the boards nearly as closely as some of you.

Immolate on February 1, 2016 at 12:11 PM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 12:04 PM

I know..I’m a 1099-self employed. Years of business taught me a lot.

bazil9 on February 1, 2016 at 12:13 PM

The only nasty guy is Cruz…………So take it and shove it up your azz.

fossten on January 30, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Editing quotes…tsk tsk.

fossten on February 1, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Here it is in all it’s glory:

The only nasty guy is Cruz who feels that he has to browbeat voters into winning Iowa for him. And the only reason he did it is out of desperation, because he knows if he loses Iowa he’s done.

And as far as your whining about my comment – you deserve it, you say nastier things about Trump. So take it and shove it up your azz.

fossten on January 30, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Better?

portlandon on February 1, 2016 at 12:20 PM

dominigan on February 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM

I’m putting them on NOTICE.

Any derogatory comments about their customers (ie: us) on Twitter WILL GET REPOSED HERE.

So Ed, Allah, if you are doing this, stop now and delete those Tweets. Or else.

This isn’t a threat. It’s a promise.

(I expect this will get me banned)

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Doomberg on February 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM

I’ve chalked it up to business, Salem butters the mod’s bread so I don’t blame them for the content, but it’s depressing to see relevant political details being ignored while “Let’s talk about the depressing first episode of…” get a feature spot on the main page.

What’s really torqued me is the off-camera insults against HotGas commenters which the mods would never dare say on this site. I have no problem with their opinions of us but at least have the courage to say it openly and then defend your words.

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 12:38 PM

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Redstate is just odd, it’s got an odd vibe, it feels like a digital version of chatting with an elderly aunt you see only on Thanksgiving.

Twitchy, man I tried that place, I really tried, but it never worked for me, having a conversation about anything is almost impossible.

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM

You can add portlandon and annoyinglittletwerp to the list of people that used to be good posters but have since devolved into angry two dimensional posters that contribute nothing more than smarmy attack posts due to TDS.

Sugarbuzz on February 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 12:41 PM

If Breitbart had any moderation of their plethora of lefty trolls in their comments it’d be the best place of all.

But they don’t. Which is why I don’t comment much there anymore.

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Well, you just saw my answer to that (see post above). They had better stop this. No wonder traffic here is way WAY down and good commentors are vanishing faster than a new gun purchase down your lake :)

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Anybody see this from Gateway Pundit?

Jeb is paying $25 per hour for people to go sit at his campaign events.

I thought $15/hr would have been enough, lol.

Fallon on February 1, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Trump is coming in third. Cruz control.

nazo311 on February 1, 2016 at 1:05 PM

No one knows what the outcome of the Iowa until the fat lady sings, but I feel that Trump has touched a whole lot of people that feel this is a chance to save this nation.
Sure Cruz supporters feel the same but Trump has been doing the PR work.
I suspect he has held more rallies and and spoke to more people than than all the other candidates combined. So many people have waited in lines in inclimate weather to get into one of his many rallies and he has been doing as many as three per day.

I think this will translate into an avalanche tonight.

Of course I may be full of sh!t, but we’ll know very soon.

esnap on February 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM

right2bright on February 1, 2016 at 12:06 PM

What was his HA name? Was that Manlyrush or something like that?

BuckeyeSam on February 1, 2016 at 1:17 PM

BuckeyeSam on February 1, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Oops. I think it was Manlyrash.

BuckeyeSam on February 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM

The seven percent solution?

What can I say…?

Seven Percent Solution on February 1, 2016 at 1:45 PM

According to Trumpster Divers:

‘The staff of Hot Air are ‘unhinged and liars.’

‘Megyn Kelly is a (variations) of a slvt.’

‘Anti-Trumpers are ‘ignorant, vile, vicious, stupid, condescending, part of the Establishment, unAmerican, unhinged and, in some cases, slvts and not REAL Americans.’

‘Trump is the only REAL Conservative in the race!’

‘Trump isn’t a Conservative. We know that. We just want to burn everything down!’

‘Ted Cruz is a flip-flopper, a phoney, and a slimy lawyer married to Goldman-Sachs!’

‘So what if Trump maintained Progressive positions for decades, he’s promised to build a wall and deport all criminaliens!’

‘Cruz and Rubio didn’t campaign against incumbents during the primaries!’

‘So what if Trump gave McConnell $50,000 in his race against Matt Bevin?’

‘Who cares if he gave beaucoup money to Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Charlie Rangel, Hillary and Bill Clinton? He is a businessman and political donations are required to get favours in return. Yeah, sure, quid-pro-quos are considered bribes, but, hey, he was just working the system as he found it!’

‘Mike Huckabee, at least, seems genuine.’

‘Ben Carson is stupid…and not a REAL Christian because Trump told us so!’

‘Trump is a devout Christian, but Cruz’s Christianity is a put-on!’

‘Eminent Domain is a nothingburger. Even the Founders approved of it. Sure, they never intended for it to be used to transfer the private property of poor individuals to rich businessmen and corporations, but, dude, the Constitution is like 227 years old. You need to catch up already!’

‘Yeah, sure, the Seventh Commandment says ‘Thou shalt not commit adultery’ and Trump has admitted to breaking the 7th numerous times in his books, but he leads such a ‘good life’ he, unlike normal Christians, doesn’t need to ever ask God for forgiveness. Besides, he has built a yuuge, beautiful, classy and most luxurious warehouse in New Jersey to store all of the Bibles that people send him and he does indulge in his ‘little wafer and little wine’ a couple of times a year!’

Constantine, I hope that you don’t get banned, but I have made sure to preserve some of your last comments in the event the very unfortunate happens:

Michelle Malkin: ‘Donald Trump Is A Big Government Fraudster!’

Exit question to all: How long before Michelle Malkin joins Megyn Kelly is added to the ‘slvt’ list?

See ya later. Off to a meeting.

Lime in the Coconut on February 1, 2016 at 1:47 PM

I thought $15/hr would have been enough, lol.

Fallon on February 1, 2016 at 12:56 PM

He ought to be able to pay some Illegal Amigos less than 10 pesos an hour…

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 1:49 PM

I follow AP on Twitter, never noticed anything as you suggest.

Right now everyone is all hyped about the elections and saying just about anything.

I’m convinced that Tlaloc and UE are just Ed and AP as alter egos.

Zomcon JEM on February 1, 2016 at 1:53 PM

esnap on February 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Are you predicting a bimbo eruption?

Immolate on February 1, 2016 at 2:51 PM

Lime in the Coconut on February 1, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Excellent. Folks seem determined to elect another pen and phone narcissist and demogogue

kenny on February 1, 2016 at 3:25 PM

People talking ‘out of school ‘ about their readers or commentors
Is a hallmark of the slimy Wall Street Journal .
I had no idea about Hot Air .
Ok , so who is Allapundit ? I thought he might be Andy Levy
because he protested so loudly that he wasn’t .
Anyone know ?

Lucano on February 1, 2016 at 3:55 PM

But they don’t. Which is why I don’t comment much there anymore.

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Breitbart does have a good number of lefties posting – I’m fine with them IF they’re sincere and not shills, simply because it’s more fun to debate than to be in an echo chamber. The obvious shills and trolls (e.g., off topic inflammatory baloney – not honest differences of opinion – meant only to inflame and get angry responses) ought to be gotten rid of, however, and yet Breitbart seems to mostly ignore them instead.

Worse, for several months now Breitbart has been absolutely infested with Trump shills and those on the Trump Cult of Personality bandwagon. Support Cruz or anyone else over there and you get absolutely reamed — especially if you post actual facts that are negative about Trump (including his own statements and actions), or positive about Cruz. Or even supporting Rubio or any other candidate for that matter, although they don’t get quite so rabid as they do those that are factually positive about Cruz. They get very nasty about it – and Breitbart doesn’t touch their posts.

Breitbart has also been periodically doing some very odd deletions of posts that are perfectly reasonable and that don’t violate TOS in anyway, along with banning reasonable people too.

Breitbart used to be fun to go have discussions with others at times… but not so much anymore, now there is just too much immature sloganeering and personal attacks.

Rational Db8 on February 1, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Bishop on February 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM

I haven’t walked because like the other post some of the other sites have weird vibes.

HOWEVER, the weirdness here is about to drive me out.

Besides, the trolls get away with murder. Tired of defending against the “I know what I am but what are you?” children.

itsspideyman on February 1, 2016 at 4:25 PM