Steve King: Hey, I “know some things” about Trump’s endorsements

posted at 12:41 pm on February 1, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

As usual, when a state race comes down to the final moments and the polls are too close to call, surrogates for the contenders will pull out all the stops. And why not? In the final 12 or 24 hours you can throw pretty much anything at the wall to see if it sticks and there won’t be time for the media to fully tear it apart before people are already on their way to work or to the polls. I have to wonder if there isn’t an element of that syndrome in play with Iowa GOP congressman and party power broker Steve King. He’s pushing for a Cruz victory, but with the last polls showing Trump with the possible upper hand, King started dropping some hints of scandal and skulduggery. Specifically, he seems to be more than implying that some of The Donald’s endorsements came with more than just strings attached. Kerry Picket reports for the Daily Caller.

Rep. Steve King , an Iowa Republican and Ted Cruz supporter, says Donald Trump bought his endorsements. Trump recently received high profile endorsements from Maricopa County Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, and Liberty University president Jerry Falwell, Jr.

King reiterated his statement about the endorsements to the Daily Caller on Saturday during a Cruz rally at the Gateway Hotel and stressed that he “knows things.”

“He has, from a regular person’s perspective, unlimited resources and he’s willing to use whatever access he has in order to get the endorsements that he wants,” King explained.

This is the same thing that King was saying to Politico last week, but there are no more details offered now than the first time. The timing and other references seem to imply that he might be talking about either Falwell, Arpaio or Palin, but honestly… how likely does that sound to anyone? The idea that Falwell needs his cash – or Palin for that matter – is a stretch to say the least. Does Joe Arpaio really need his own reality show? (And I think Sarah Palin has already demonstrated that she can have her own show whenever she wants.) So who else could King be talking about?

Also, if you “know things” about somebody then one would assume that you have some evidence to back it up. If there were something on paper or a person in a position to know who was willing to talk, wouldn’t you put that out on the table when you make the charge? Nothing about this passes the smell test. Perhaps the most curious aspect of this accusation is that it doesn’t really throw much of a dagger at Trump. He’s a rich guy who does a lot of deals and if he wound up getting an endorsement from somebody who had profited from their engagement with him that wouldn’t exactly be headline news. What Steve King is really doing here is casting aspersions at all of the people who offer the endorsements because such a deal would put their credibility on the line, implying that their support and beliefs were on sale to the highest bidder.

If this gains any traction at all during the closing hours I’ll be quite surprised. Rumors and innuendo with no sources cited, along with tarring the names of several prominent conservatives is all it adds up to. I smell something cooking on the grill here and it’s got the scent of desperation to it. The guy may be trying to help out Cruz, but this doesn’t seem like the way to do it.

SteveKing

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Politicians make Americans sick. You are a disgraceful POS, Steve King. I hope Trump and Palin both sue your sorry butt for slander. Best have some proof there!And you wonder why Congress is held in such low esteem by the American people.It’s because of slimy,lying turds like Steve King.

redware on February 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM

and cruz, rubio, paul VOTED for mcconnell for majority leader

Garyinaz66 on February 1, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Hindsight is 20/20.
Better to be overly trusting about a majority leader than be conned by someone who becomes POTUS. We’ve had that kind of narcissistic personality “fundamentally transforming” the country for the last 7+ years. Hows that working out.

That said, what has Cruz say about McConnelle?
What did Paul and Rubio say about him? Was there any difference?

Mimzey on February 1, 2016 at 3:08 PM

No stretch to think that Palin and/or Falwell were enticed with the prospect of a better financial/career future if they supported Trump. Trump could give to Liberty University in many ways. I find it plausible that King could have been asked, what causes/charities would you like supported by Trump? Not illegal, just greasy.

G. Charles on February 1, 2016 at 3:10 PM

redware on February 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Do you find Trump(PBUH) to be a slimy lying turd?

Mimzey on February 1, 2016 at 3:10 PM

I respect your opinions and insight and always have.
We don’t always agree but we’ve always been civil.
Wish others could be too.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on February 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM

I feel the same way, my friend. Very well, said, indeed.

thatsafactjack on February 1, 2016 at 3:11 PM

“Very well said, indeed.” ^^^

*I have no idea where the extra comma came from…I suspect gremlins.

thatsafactjack on February 1, 2016 at 3:13 PM

thatsafactjack on February 1, 2016 at 3:13 PM

little dog sayin’ hi maybe?

Fred

jrsrigmvr on February 1, 2016 at 3:18 PM

jrsrigmvr on February 1, 2016 at 3:18 PM

lol! Might have been. He was always a happy little prankster.

thatsafactjack on February 1, 2016 at 3:24 PM

King is starting to sound like the guy he is endorsing.

huckleberryfriend on February 1, 2016 at 3:24 PM

This sounds like King ripped a page out of Dingy Harry’s playbook when Reid accused Romney of not paying taxes for ten years:

King is essentially sayinf “I know Trump is paying off his endorsements but I’m not going to say who told me or present any evidence to back up what I’m telling you.”

OK King, if you have the goods on Trump, the speak up or shut up.

BMF on February 1, 2016 at 3:30 PM

King was a conservative hero until he questions a liberal Democrat.

His former Chief of Staff is Trump’s Iowa campaign manager now. Maybe he’s told King things, maybe not. Maybe all these former conservatives beclown themselves for Trump for free. At least most of them don’t have the white supremacist background of his campaign spokeschick.

Adjoran on February 1, 2016 at 3:36 PM

FYI I’m in the queue in Rush’s show. Listen in. (I’m from Louisville)
fossten on February 1, 2016 at 12:50 PM

I’ve been listening and think I just heard your call. I missed the intro so I wasn’t sure, but the caller was a Trump supporter and I thought there was a good chance it was you. Then the caller used the phrase “I don’t sense any guile in him.” , that confirmed it for me.

Good call! Fair question, you articulated your opinion well and you definitely didn’t come off like the “Howler Monkey” you’ve been accused of being. Nice job.

Steele on February 1, 2016 at 3:40 PM

last desperate measure

telephone2 on February 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Sarah Palin: Steve King Suffers ‘Potomac Fever’ Suggesting Donald Trump Pays for Support

Garyinaz66 on February 1, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Adjoran is a dummy and a racist.

What King insinuated was that Trump ‘bought’ SP.

She nailed his azz about it in Iowa today.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Thanks Jazz for a fair article on this.

Shame on you Rep. Steve King.

Winning by any means is what I’m seeing. Lying and smearing another Candidate without any proof of the accusations is slander imo.

King also smeared Palin, Falwell and Arpaio.

Cruz & King should send some more shaming mailers out, that should help their cause.

Unless Senator Ted Cruz comes out and apologizes to all concerned in this, then he approves of it.

Disgusting!!

P.S. Listening to a Texas Radio Station discussing this now.

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Palin attacked King for “huffing too much ethanol” which is rich since her boy Trump is the one who wants to TRIPLE the money government steals from taxpayers and gives to Big Ethanol!

I’ve loved and supported Sarah Palin since 2007, but she is officially dead to me!

TopFuel425 on February 1, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Just remember, Trump has promised Palin her choice of cabinet positions, and Falwell admits “generous” donations.

Steve King ain’t far off base and you idiot Trump-humpers know it!

TopFuel425 on February 1, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Do you find Trump(PBUH) to be a slimy lying turd?

To me, he has been a refreshing voice of criticism of Obama and govt. He has also been cring-worthy when acting spastic and speaking crudely (although often funny). So he has not been this to me personally, but to those whose property has been seized to advance his business interests, then yeah.

All his promises are just negotiating stances that will be walked back (and who knows how far?). They are just words that people want to hear and I don’t think Trump is honestly committed to them.

G. Charles on February 1, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Steve King ain’t far off base and you idiot Trump-humpers know it!

TopFuel425 on February 1, 2016 at 5:56 PM

We’re all waiting to see your proof of those accusations…which I’d guess will be forthcoming and posted by you quite soon. Correct? (Unless, of course, you don’t have any proof. In that case, you’re just another liar with a bad case of TDS.)

Oh. And you can hump on this, peckerhead!

Solaratov on February 1, 2016 at 6:38 PM

Sarah gives me a headache…..

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on February 1, 2016 at 6:48 PM

We’re all waiting to see your proof of those accusations

“Trump, the 2016 GOP presidential frontrunner, has said he would like to have someone of Palin’s stature serving in his Cabinet.”
“Palin, who popularized the term “drill, baby, drill,” has said she’d like to be Trump’s Secretary of Energy. And Trump has said he’d be willing to give Palin a position…” Google produces many more hits on Trump/Palin.

Like I said, not illegal, but greasy.

G. Charles on February 1, 2016 at 7:08 PM

I “know things” about sanders, hillary and obama that would make you want to wash your eyes with bleach, then gasoline if you read them.

Want to read about it? Nope, sorry. Not giving details. It’s scandalous though, trust me.

Just think about it realy hard before you go to the polls. Trust me, it’s disgusting. Believe me because I have a vested interest in you doing so without hesitance.

Does this pimple head think EVERYONE is stupid? Far simpler to believe steve king is the stupid one.

Andy__B on February 1, 2016 at 7:15 PM

Far simpler to believe steve king is the stupid one.

Andy__B on February 1, 2016 at 7:15 PM

The ‘submit’ button stole my last sentence. I hate this comment system. I wrote “By the sleazy method steve king is trying to employ here on behalf of ted cruz, one must assume ted cruz is also just as sleazy as king, right?”

Andy__B on February 1, 2016 at 7:18 PM

Oh, I dunno: Harry Reid didn’t bother with trivial matters like ‘evidence’ when he asserted knowledge of Romney’s zero tax bill. Why should Steve King?

Nice rhetorical company you’re keeping there, chief.

orangemtl on February 1, 2016 at 9:32 PM

OK King, if you have the goods on Trump, the speak up or shut up.

BMF on February 1, 2016 at 3:30 PM

My first thought also.
Plus, does anybody really think endorsements are “free” to any politician?

AesopFan on February 2, 2016 at 12:30 AM

So, Fossten, are you in Rush’s transcript?

virgo on February 2, 2016 at 12:45 AM