Are we preparing to elect a president that most people hate?

posted at 9:21 am on February 1, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

Mark Sappenfield penned a column for Yahoo News this weekend with the provocative title, Why America might elect a president it doesn’t like. As you might guess, the premise for this assertion is based on favorability polls and the nuggets of data which analysts filter out of them. The two main subjects under discussion are, of course, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Neither scores very well nationally in terms of approval ratings, yet each is considered to be at least nominally the highest percentage bet to represent their party in the general election. So is there something wrong with us for propping up people we supposedly despise?

It is possible, perhaps even probable, that this fall’s election will be contested between two of three most disliked presidential candidates of at least the past quarter century.

And it is possible, perhaps even probable, that this is not a coincidence.

A Gallup survey released Saturday shows that Donald Trump has the highest unfavorability rating (60 percent) of any presidential candidate since the polling firm started tracking the figure in 1992. For her part, Hillary Clinton ranks third (52 percent) with the no-new-taxes-breaking George H.W. Bush of 1992 at No. 2.

In other words, the 2016 presidential election could be decided between two people that the majority of Americans, according to Gallup, don’t like politically.

As to the explanation for this seeming contradiction, the author points back to the well worn idea that we’re so ideologically divided as a nation these days that we would rather hate an opponent than love somebody on our own team. To be sure, some of the data which Sappenfield points to could be interpreted that way. Despite the fact that more and more people register as independents than members of the two major parties, they also largely qualify as “leaners” who are nearly as wedded to one party or the other as the elected officials are. Further, the general dissatisfaction Americans feel with their government can be interpreted as a sign of bitter partisanship and ideological zeal.

For supporting evidence he points to an article by Frank Luntz where he concludes that most of us would rather support a candidate who drives the opponents crazy than somebody we’re personally in love with. Even I’ll admit that there’s a grain of truth to that, at least when it comes to Donald Trump. The fact that he has the media setting their hair on fire every time he speaks certainly carries some appeal.

But at the same time, I have to remind myself that these sorts of conclusions probably aren’t rooted in the reality out on Main Street. We should remember that most of us who read such articles (as well as all of us who write them, in my case) are the people who are the most actively and constantly engaged in political warfare. Traveling in virtual circles of the politically oriented can trick us into thinking that we’re pretty much like everyone else in the country, but the truth is that we’re not. In fact, the gangs of Left and Right wing talkers on cable news, the bloggers and the hordes of people who comprise comment communities at political sites across the web might add up to a couple of hundred thousand people. Now, that’s a lot of folks if you’re talking about filling up football stadiums, but it’s a paltry slice of the total population in a nation of 350 million or more.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned one particular neighbor of mine here in the past and he’s a guy who tends to keep me a bit more balanced when I consider this question. He’s a smart guy who definitely stays informed about politics. He’ll bring it up from time to time, mentions stories making the rounds on the news and even knows the name of at least one Supreme Court justice. He’s not a low information voter. But he’s also not all that engaged and never goes on rants. He’s a registered Democrat because he filled out his voter registration form as a teenager, yet he’s been voting Republican for a couple of decades now. Why not change it so he can vote in the primary? It just never crosses his mind to do so. Does he like Hillary Clinton? Not really, but she’s not the living incarnation of evil or anything.

In some ways I think my neighbor is a lot more representative of the nation at large than I am. Remember that we can barely get half of the nation’s eligible voters to bother showing up at the polls every four years. (In odd number years it might be a quarter.) Those who do go vote include a lot of folks who don’t pay much attention at all until the final weeks. I just don’t think there’s a lot of “hate” going on. Those approval rating polls never mention the number of phones they had to ring just to find 600 people willing to talk to them. The vast majority simply hang up.

So are we getting ready to elect somebody that most of the nation hates? Not really. They may not “approve” of them when asked, but for the most part we tend to just move on with our lives once the election is over. Subjects like this are, I think, examples of how the political media spends most of its time talking to itself.

KeyboardSmash

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Real grampa just died, now we have to arrange his funeral issues, not is Donald Trump going to win Iowa or did he insult Ted Cruz bs issues.

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Condolences and prayers for you and the family.

Fallon on February 1, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Yeah, because, you know, supporting baby murder and universal healthcare are conservative values… LOL

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Keep moving those goalposts. My original comment wasn’t even directed at you.

fossten on February 1, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Let the other take the fall for that…so you can put that little quote in the trash can, Trump has crossed over to very liberal and I see little difference between him and the democrats…whom he had been for his life.

right2bright on February 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Don’t worry, your comment stays for life. Of course, when Trump fixes the country, you’ll be pretending that you supported him all along.

fossten on February 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Keep moving those goalposts. My original comment wasn’t even directed at you.

fossten on February 1, 2016 at 10:11 AM

It’s not about goal posts, it’s about truth. And the Trumpbots need to accept the truth of their candidate.

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Aren’t you the poster who is on medical leave and living off your phony medical problem?

Workman’s comp is a great thing for guys people like you…you should try working for a living. Most of us do.

right2bright on February 1, 2016 at 9:40 AM

I do believe that qualifies as mockery of a disabled person.

I expect a full denouncement of yourself.

I’ve said from the beginning that if Trump gets the nomination I will not vote for President. I can’t support Clinton but I can’t support a truly ignorant, uneducated, bully like Donald J. Trump. First time in my life (my first vote was for Reagan) that I will not have voted for President- even in years when I wasn’t thrilled with the choice. But, it is one thing to vote for a Bob Dole or John McCain. It is another thing entirely to vote for a moron like Donald Trump. He’s evil and you howlers are too damned stupid to see his faults.

Happy Nomad on February 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM

And after his recent stand on federal subsidies, which I thought even he would never do…if he is selected, I will probable leave that area blank.

right2bright on February 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Hillary thanks you both for your support.

Have you been asleep the past several years? The Republicans have passed nearly everything Obama has put in front of them. The idea we will get “inaction” from them is out of touch with reality. The last four years would have been great if they’d just shut down most of Obama’s initiatives!

Doomberg on February 1, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Bernie is no Dear Liar. He’s a true believing socialist, not a fascist. Corporate interests will pull their congressional puppet strings and put a stop to Bernie’s proposals.

The Whine is a nasty fellow, Sanders is well meaning even though he’s totally misguided.

rbj on February 1, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Bernie’s an old white guy, there would be more resistance. Obama gets everything he wants because of his color. Hillary would get everything because she’s uniparty and a woman.

Rogue on February 1, 2016 at 10:13 AM

When the Trumpster grants de facto amnesty, what excuse will the Trumpbots come up with?

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 9:47 AM

And you know it will happen. I can see it now, Trump, McConnell and Ryan shoving touch back amnesty or worse down our throats. And those who have traditionally fought it will be neutralized during this primary season. Bohica baby, bohica.

voiceofreason on February 1, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Put a gun to my head and the choice is Trump or Sanders, I’ll go with Bernie.

rbj on February 1, 2016 at 9:31 AM

This is just sad… How can you do this to my grandkids?

Trumpbot.

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM

You are a strange little dude.

Fallon on February 1, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Biden/Warren will beat Trump/Kasich.

kcewa on February 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Why on Earth would Trump want to hitch himself to the Karate Kid? If his famous blue-collar white-voter appeal materializes into the votes, he should carry Ohio without a problem; if not, he’s doomed anyway.

As for Biden, the ol’ Joe lost his marbles. He can’t beat his own dick (despite trying frequently), not to speak of a political opponent. It’s Sanders/Warren ticket that I would be wary of; a wave of rabid enthusiasm coupled with some old-fashioned classic election fraud Democrat style can easily pull the Commies across the finish line.

Rix on February 1, 2016 at 10:15 AM

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM

You have convinced yourself that you are doing noble work, spreading the so-called truth, but nobody’s listening to you because your ‘arguments’ are drowned out by your nasty condescension.

fossten on February 1, 2016 at 10:15 AM

“…that most people hate…”

But they hate them for different reasons.

If the media did not portray Trump as a bigot, there would not be the reaction about “not being able to vote” for him. In Europe the backlash against Trump was totally media driven, based on the phrase “Ban Muslims.”

Is that like Banning Books, or Banning smoking? no, it was a moratorium on entry from the hot spots of islamic terror… and if the media in UK had been honest in saying what Trump meant, three quarters of their own citizens would want to give him a halo and invite him to be P.M.

Fleuries on February 1, 2016 at 10:17 AM

This scenario mirrors the 1968 Dem convention. HH lost to Nixon. Your prediction is invalid.

fossten on February 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Humphrey’s mistake was to choose Muskie for a running mate. Had he chosen McCarthy there would have been no riots and he would have won.

That’s why Biden will choose Warren.

kcewa on February 1, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Are we preparing to elect a president that most people hate?

Let’s hope so, because electing all these losers we have loved has gotten us exactly what?

An ignorant population

Country sinking in debt

Third World “nanner” Republic

Socialism on the verge of becoming Communist country

You get the picture, and it “ain’t” good.

they lie on February 1, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Boy the vitriol is strong today from the Donald Trump haters…

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 10:05 AM

They are so worked up, ready to explode at tonight’s result.

Redstone on February 1, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Hillary won’t be indicted. The head of the FBI will resign. Hillary will crater in the polls. Super delegates will draft Biden at the convention for a Biden/Warren ticket.

Biden/Warren will beat Trump/Kasich.

kcewa on February 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM

fossten on February 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Mr. fossten, your history is invalid.

In 1968, nobody was under indictment. There were no FBI investigations of any candidates. Super-delegates did not draft Humphrey at the convention.

In 1968, Bobby Kennedy was the Democrat frontrunner and odds-on favorite to become president when he was shot in the head right after winning the California primary.

Vice-president Humphrey was his strongest political opposition for the nomination and upon Kennedy’s death, he won that nomination.

Younggod on February 1, 2016 at 10:22 AM

All you Trump haters will be full blown looney after the results are in tonight. Not that you already are. The mods should be able to ban most of you after you completely lose it. Many of you should have already been banned for your nastiness and hatred towards others.

they lie on February 1, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Rogue on February 1, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Ah, the classic GOPe ‘lesser of two evils’ blackmail. “If you Don’t support my preferred jackass nominee, it’s a vote for the even worse jackass nominee! Waah!”

Sorry, no. Some people just aren’t gonna support the R nominee regardless anymore. And I thought was the foundation of Donald support anyway; you should understand. Or are just a blind follower by nature?

M240H on February 1, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Trumpbot.

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM

You are a strange little dude.

Fallon on February 1, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Trumpbot is an apt name for irrational Trump followers. I’ve not seen a psychosis quite like the Trumpbots exhibit since the Obamabots came along.

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Boy the vitriol is strong today from the Donald Trump haters…

ConstantineXI on February 1, 2016 at 10:05 AM

I think that most folks know that Thedonald would likely run away with the nom if he wins tonight. It’s the first and the last stand for everyone else.

MJBrutus on February 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM

…but nobody’s listening to you…

fossten on February 1, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Well, you are, so there you go…

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Nailed it.

GarandFan on February 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM

M240H on February 1, 2016 at 10:23 AM

I’m a Cruz supporter, but I’m also realistic enough to know that Trump has a better than average chance of running the tables. And I’m perfectly ok with that.

The facts are, a dead person could run (and has, see Mel Carnahan) with a D behind their name and their voters will dutifully show up for them, then you have the zombie vote, voter fraud etc. So yes, you either accept reality or you support the other side, either actively or passively,

Now, I’ll add, if say, Rubio or JEB! pull off a miracle and win it, then I too will be passively supporting Hillary because I won’t vote for either of them.

Rogue on February 1, 2016 at 10:30 AM

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Ronulans are worse then either…

Rogue on February 1, 2016 at 10:30 AM

M240H on February 1, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Exactly. Furthermore I view my potential vote for the opposition as the ultimate condemnation.

voiceofreason on February 1, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Why not? We hate the one we have now.

hal_mccombs on February 1, 2016 at 10:34 AM

A portion of them are just trying to justify their paycheck through productivity. The mandate to “Publish or perish” isn’t exclusive to academics.

thatsafactjack on February 1, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Exactly, and I’ll have several 800 word columns on that subject coming in the next few weeks.

Jazz Shaw on February 1, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Are we preparing to elect a president that most people hate?

Define “we”.

Immolate on February 1, 2016 at 10:41 AM

If anybody thinks that getting things turned around in this country won’t require a bit of pain all around, then vote for Bernie and hope you die before the bill comes due. Otherwise, we need somebody prepared to make some difficult decisions. It’s going to take a person that “most people” hate, but can win anyway, to actually make some significant changes.

moo on February 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM

M240H on February 1, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Never mind that he would deport illegal aliens, not abridge the Second Amendment, put the country on a spending diet, boom the economy, and kick the shit out of Islamic terrorists.

No, principled M240H would refuse to vote for Trump because he doesn’t like his positions on stuff like abortion and emminent domain.

And in so doing risk the Democrat winning. You know, the one who also holds those same positions on abortion and emminent domain.

Yeah, you’re a regular genius and patriot.

Younggod on February 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM

In a certain way you can understand Bill.

Warning – painful.

diogenes on February 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Ronulans are worse then either…

Rogue on February 1, 2016 at 10:30 AM

The cult is about the same. Laup Nor/ Trump is their savior…their light bringer…their god.

‘Support our candidate-otherwise you’re a stupid moron who is against all that is good, right, and great.’
ALL cults share that trait.

*Today is a year since I left on my trip. I’m focused on a place that starts with the letter ‘eye-but that place isn’t Iowa*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Happy Nomad on February 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM

You are consistent. I’ve seen you write this before. Trump is not uneducated, he is a graduate of Wharton of the University of Pennsylvania (one of the, if not the finest business schools in the world). I bet that is a heck of lot more education than you. What is your curriculum vitae? For a business school, he seems to have done quite well. He can’t be truly ignorant. That must be your ignorant way of saying he does not know for sure the same things you think you know for sure.

Old Country Boy on February 1, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Jazz Shaw on February 1, 2016 at 10:37 AM

200+ comments on all of them Jazz…200+

Rogue on February 1, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Younggod on February 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM

That’s a ton of speculation on a guy who doesn’t hold a political position for more than 3 years at a time.

voiceofreason on February 1, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Can we all agree that Frank Luntz should be ignored forever? Any data that comes from him is too suspect to take seriously.

Buckshot Bill on February 1, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Yes! Just another tool with an agenda. There is a reason that he’s on Fox News/Murdock/Ailes etal.

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 10:51 AM

An ignorant population

Country sinking in debt

Third World “nanner” Republic

Socialism on the verge of becoming Communist country

You get the picture, and it “ain’t” good.

they lie on February 1, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Agree, seems like anytime I talk with a liberal I am fed this BS about liking their candidate. When Jimmah ran it was sickening how many votes he got because he was just such a nice guy.

We need a complete a33hole who will get control and lead us down another road or Bernie to run this thing into the ground and wake up those who don’t understand what the dem party represents and the results.

tej on February 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Happy Nomad on February 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Old Country Boy on February 1, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Hey back off. Happy Nomad earned his GED fair and square.

Younggod on February 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Ronulans are worse then either…

Rogue on February 1, 2016 at 10:30 AM

That’s odd, given what they profess to believe.

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 10:54 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Don’t know about, true the Ronulans have pretty much Sainted Ron and would have Rand but he’s pissed them off on a couple of things.

And I won’t deny there are a few TRUE TRUMP believers, but most supporters of Trump I find are fully aware of his past “heresies” and are accepted warts & all

Rogue on February 1, 2016 at 10:55 AM

In groups people just hate Trump. Talking one on one to someone you know well they don’t hate Trump. It is like admitting you like eating stinky cheese or something that simply isn’t done.

Mormaer on February 1, 2016 at 10:58 AM

See picture for this tweet:

magnifier661-4-TRUMP @magnifier661 Jan 30
@FrankLuntz @tedcruz while you egomaniacs call Trump supporters uneducated, they #CaucusForTrump #Smart

4 hardhats that clearly don’t hate Trump, great pic at tweet: https://twitter.com/magnifier661/status/693498923499913216

anotherJoe on February 1, 2016 at 10:59 AM

It’s kind of funny hearing such extreme scare stories over a Trump presidency. My guess is he will be a solid conservative, pro -American president. He will:
1) reduce immigration, block Muslims; tighten work visas
2) send home some or most of the illegals; build fence
3) reduce or eliminate bad trade deals
4) protect US territory
5) spend our defense dollars more wisely
6) appoint good judges

People are worried about nothing. Trump will be a very good president.

cimbri on February 1, 2016 at 10:59 AM

cimbri on February 1, 2016 at 10:59 AM

More likely he will be what he is-a LIBERAL democrat.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM

He was a lifelong democrat, and campaigned against Reagan…he supported Reid, Pelosi, Hillary, and most other not only democrats, but the most liberal of democrats…enough said.

Closet liberals support him, no conservative would.

right2bright on February 1, 2016 at 9:54 AM

It’s clear you haven’t done your research to see all of the Republican Organizations, House & Senate members he has written checks to for years!

It’s one thing to be mistaken or ignorant of facts, but to lie about the truth is quite another.

There is no excuse for the lies you post.

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Younggod on February 1, 2016 at 10:43 AM

voiceofreason on February 1, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Finally, someone who makes a good point.

And if what you fear pans out, I — and many others — will be a fool.

What I believe is that Trump puts great stock in accomplishing what he says he will accomplish. Trump considers the failure to do so as personal humiliation.

He’s taken an unambiguous position on a number of key policies.

You can’t get more unambiguous than “Mexico will pay for a wall,” “I’m packing heat right now,” and “illegals will have to leave the country before we let anyone back.”

If Trump renegs, he will be raucously scorned by the majority.

I don’t believe his ego would ever allow that.

Younggod on February 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Glenn Beck doesn’t didn’t hate Trump:

Glenn Beck 2011… PRAISING TRUMP:

Glenn Beck 2011: “Look, Donald Trump, here’s a guy that I really respect. Here’s a guy who GET’S THINGS DONE in New York. You want to have somebody fix our country. Donald Trump is a guy who could economically fix our country.”

12 second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7czPEsj0w

anotherJoe on February 1, 2016 at 11:05 AM

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 9:47 AM

In what fevered, delusional scenario do you see that after…

1) He enlisted Senator Jeff Sessions, the most conservative Congressman on the topic of immigration, to co-write his immigration policies.

2) Introduced Senator Jeff Sessions as a guest at one of his rallies.

3) Hired Stephen Miller, a key aide who has worked for Jeff Sessions the last 7 years. And this isn’t just any aide, Miller worked preparing Sessions with his immigration policy and media interviews when Sessions pushed back against the “Gang of 8” amnesty push.

4) Sheriff Joe Arpaio, a local symbol of immigration control in Arizona, publically endorsed Trump.

Tell me what other candidate has taken these types of actions regarding immigration control. Tell me what other candidates has taken action instead of merely speaking words?

Trump is the most conservative man of action on the topic of immigration. Period.

Go scream your delusions to someone who cares. Actions matter more than words.

dominigan on February 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Old Country Boy on February 1, 2016 at 10:49 AM

First, he graduated with a degree from Wharton…not the Wharton MBA program that is the one that is so impressive…the undergraduate program is no better than any other universities.

It’s the Wharton School of Business, MBA that is so touted…which I believe his daughter has…but not him.

As far as being “smart” there are a lot of men and women who have their undergraduate degree in economics or business…it’s a common degree.

But schools like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, MIT, and others are exceptional in their undergraduate, as well as graduate…for instance, Carly has her MBA Maryland University, and a Masters from MIT, Sloan School of Management, worlds above Donalds 4 year degree.

Cruz has his law degree…not even a contest when it comes to academics.

He is average, at best…and that’s okay, just don’t fluff up his creds.

right2bright on February 1, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Go scream your delusions to someone who cares. Actions matter more than words.

dominigan on February 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Then why did he pull his “deportation” scheme off of his website?

Where has Jeff Sesssions been the last few months since he worked with Trump…he has been silent, and his head man is working for Ted Cruz.

Trump started out of the gates strong…but that is what this primary season is for…determining and vetting what the candidate actually believes.

Expedite…legalize…pathway…no fines, no back taxes…equal amnesty.

right2bright on February 1, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Yes, Ted Cruz.

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 9:46 AM

We are electing a President of the U.S., not a Preacher.

It’s a shame you haven’t researched Senator Cruz and all of his baggage.

Glenn Beck, David Barton, Robert Mercer would be just 3 persons you need to research and find some truth. Oh, and the meetings he’s had with groups and funding if known, Christians and Evangelicals would not be voting for him. Non-Christians alike would not vote for him.

He deceived the voters of Texas to become Senator and still as of 1/16/16 has not filed his 4 years late FEC report on his loans.

If voters would take the time to investigate Senator Ted Cruz, instead of listening to his “talk”, they would know what those of us know that have.

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 11:14 AM

Ricky Vaughn [email protected]_Vaughn99 20h20 hours ago
TRUMP: “There’s an assault on everything we stand for, and we’re gonna stop
the assault.” https://vimeo.com/153149804

anotherJoe on February 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Every body better be careful. Right2Stupid is getting close to pulling out his “Stalking” meme…..

Indiana Jim on February 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM

I’m prepared to vote for any multi-cellular organism over Hillary.

justltl on February 1, 2016 at 11:25 AM

right2bright on February 1, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Didn’t Obama have a degree from Harvard? if so, I’d say the degree argument is useless.

tej on February 1, 2016 at 11:28 AM

I don’t know anybody in my circle of friends that dislikes Trump.

fossten on February 1, 2016 at 9:48 AM

I had a couple of relatives that thought Senator Ted Cruz was this great Conservative until I gave them the truth about him. Now, they are voting for Donald J. Trump.

The constant “I led the fight” and “I proposed this or that” is just a phrase and doesn’t accomplish anything. There is no virtue in introducing 100’s of pieces of legislation that you know doesn’t have a chance in h*** of even coming out of Committee, let alone being brought to the Senate floor for a vote. I could write an entire thread on the baggage Ted Cruz has.

I’m sure you and others that know the truth about Cruz could do the same.

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM

12 second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK7czPEsj0w

anotherJoe on February 1, 2016 at 11:05 AM

I saw that yesterday, LOL It’s whichever way the wind blows with Beck.

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Go scream your delusions to someone who cares. Actions matter more than words.

dominigan on February 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Enlisting conservatives doesn’t make one conservative, but it can fool people into believing it does.

Trump’s foundational position on immigration involves granting them amnesty by forgiving their illegal presence in America after a brief deportation. He plans to expedite their return, assuming no criminal record. I understand how that appeals to your warm and fuzzies, but as an immigration hardliner, I cannot accept a failure to follow the law which requires making deportees ineligible for re-entry for a good, long time.

The laws exist today. Build the wall. Deport the illegals and leave them deported. Be fair, be humane, but follow the law. If the bureaucracy frustrates the enforcement of the law, the solution is to fix the bureaucracy, not the law.

Your immigration hawk is all feather, no talon.

Immolate on February 1, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Happy Nomad on February 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Ditto.

Shepherd Lover on February 1, 2016 at 11:47 AM

bluefox at 11:33am

Cruz did have a major impact in one way. He got the US Credit Rating lowered by Standard & Poors from triple A to AA plus. Luckily it was in the middle of the cycle and we didn’t lose any seats over it.

That’s what happens when you don’t know what you’re doing.

cimbri on February 1, 2016 at 11:48 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Prayers of strength and comfort for you and your family during this time. Losing loved ones is almost the hardest thing in life, so I share your sorrow. May the God of all comfort be with you and yours.

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM

More likely he will be what he is-a LIBERAL democrat.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Liberal democrats don’t talk about deporting illegal aliens or locking down Muslim immigration. Funny though… the GOPe agrees with LIBERAL democrats.

The President is head of the Executive Branch. The purpose of the Executive Branch is to EXECUTE the laws. Current immigration laws require the deportation of illegal aliens when found. Yet nearly every other candidate loudly proclaims that the law is too difficult to execute, so they won’t. If they acknowledge they can’t execute the law, why are they running for the office responsible for executing the law?

dominigan on February 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM

I’ve never quite seen ‘likability’ as such a big deal. We’re voting for a leader here, not Prom King.

I’d be willing to vote for the biggest prick in the world as long as I thought he’d be the best leader possible.

And, no, this doesn’t make me a possible Trump supporter.

He’s simply a prick.

trigon on February 1, 2016 at 11:58 AM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Sorry for your loss. Prayers ascending.

trigon on February 1, 2016 at 12:00 PM

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Next open enrollment, you need to change your moniker to TwistedWords.

Fallon on February 1, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Hi Fallon! Hope your day gets better than the way it started, Geez!

Major elections bring out the trolls more than any other time. I recall in 2011/2012 there were so many and shortly thereafter they disappeared. We’ll just have to ignore them for now:-)

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Jazz…..we aren’t electing obama. That’s who I hate the most.

Second on that list would be any democrat, socialist, or progressive pig.

That narrows it down to one person, if the rest of the agitated tards out there can’t handle it, not my problem. I will vote the way I want, nobody will pressure or shame me into anything.

If I see just ONE person anywhere around a poll nudging, pressing, pushing, or even suggesting to anyone who they must vote for, I’m going to be on the news.

I almost made the news last election. There was a camera and reporter outside our polling station just shooting general footage I guess, with a reporter about 10 feet from me in the line chatting with someone, when I overheard a liberal pig a couple people back in the line chastising someone for not wanting to vote the way THEY wanted them to vote. When myself and several others got done with them they left the polling area entirely. It did not devolve to anything more than low tones with a certain ‘resolve’ clearly understandable behind those words, so it wasn’t worthy of a news report.

If it happens again this time around however, all bets are off. Progressive poll pushers aren’t as likely to survive an encounter this year. Hear that, panther pigs? Prepare to be stuck on a spit and roasted, fascists.

Andy__B on February 1, 2016 at 12:07 PM

bluefox at 11:33am

That’s what happens when you don’t know what you’re doing.

cimbri on February 1, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Really? I missed that one. The smartest man in the world, huh? Reminds me of what they said about HRC; the smartest woman in the world. Their definition of the word “smart” is certainly different than mine:-)Crafty comes to mind, plus many others.

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 12:09 PM

Andy__B on February 1, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Good for you. Living in a smaller town (50,000 pop.) I haven’t encountered that, but would react as you did. Bad enough that Senator Ted Cruz sent those shaming mailers out. That is uncalled for, but I’m not surprised at what he does.

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Final thought on this thread. Vote to save our Country, vote for Donald J. Trump!!

No more politicians!! Break up the Uni-party!!

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 12:15 PM

oscarwilde on February 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM

My sincere condolences to you and yours.

bmmg39 on February 1, 2016 at 12:45 PM

No more politicians!! Break up the Uni-party!!

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Final thought on your final thought: Vote Cruz, because voting for Trump is a vote for more statism.

WordsMatter on February 1, 2016 at 1:28 PM

No more politicians!! Break up the Uni-party!!

bluefox on February 1, 2016 at 12:15 PM
If you want to save our country-He’s the absolute LAST person that a you should vote for.
Worthless cultist you are!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM

He’s evil and you howlers are too damned stupid to see his faults.

Happy Nomad on February 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM

Most of us who you call howlers assume you are calling us howler monkeys? I kinda object to that. This is supposed to be a civil discussion. There are enough words in the English language to discuss and explain opinions without resorting to ad homs or profanity. I particularly object to all these holders of “studies” degrees (or at least they rationalize like that) who denigrate those from historically good universities in STEM disciplines. You are possibly one of the low information voters who does not recognize that? Maybe you should consider that Mr. Trumps faults are not important to us and go with the territory. Not quite in the same league as who experience has shown to get our soldiers killed, who give away our national secrets through political hubrus.

Old Country Boy on February 1, 2016 at 5:46 PM

To date, most polls have been “created” and way off the mark because of that. How is it that everyone I have met and talked to are for TRUMP and they, who are Democrats, will in no way vote for her? I think in CA my votes gathers equal Hillary way down in polls and on her way hour, and Trump way up in the polls and en route to the WH.
I pray to God this is the end result or America is lost! Cruz as VP or Supreme Court but not as president due to some of his statements and actions. However, we know TRUMP’s statements and values which gives him the top of the list. Some dislike Cruz because they think he is a Canadian and not qualified to reach for the WH. He is an American citizen and can hope. Trump is pulled down by those who love the establishment and phone conservatives and are afraid of the fact that many will have to work to live and others because they know their jobs in our administrations will be out of work and no great unearned salaries and bonuses just because they work in a legislature, federal or local. America needs to be reworked and brought back to We, the People and at this juncture that is Trump’s abilities and connections to get done. Now, who among you have every seen anyone, including yourself, without flaws or concerns. Get real and vote for the only candidate that can give us our country back and our price and standing in the world and keep us from being handed over the NWO or the UN. In other words, if you can’t support America, then please pack and go live in either Venezuela or Europe or Africa because you would fit in with those governments.

Roselle on February 2, 2016 at 12:19 PM