Tim Allen: The Clintons are like herpes, you know

posted at 6:01 pm on January 29, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

The man who made “more power!” a household grunt wants decidedly less power given to the federal government — and offers up a colorful metaphor about one family’s quest to grasp it for life. Tim Allen, star of the long-running sitcom Home Improvement and the new Last Man Standing, talked to the Hollywood Reporter about his conservative political orientation and its emergence in the show. Despite having a “liberal” writing staff, Allen pushes to express his own point of view, albeit somewhat more moderated than in real life:

Do you have more comedic leeway now than you did on Home Improvement?

Definitely. But you know what? I’ve earned it. I don’t say that lightly. I’ve been on a successful show and learned from the best. But I find Last Man Standing actually rougher than Home Improvement. We’re getting away with a lot of stuff. I’m really shocked. This is a meaner, sharper comedy than I’m used to. There’s a lot of times our very liberal writing staff will come up with stuff that even my character would say, “I don’t know if I can say that.”

When asked why Last Man Standing has taken slaps at Hillary Clinton but none at Donald Trump, Allen expresses skepticism about Trump’s staying power, which might make the jokes stale. The Clintons will never fade away, Allen argues memorably:

It’s a little surprising to me. We have a very liberal writing staff, so I’m surprised they haven’t taken a shot at him. But we’re not sure he’s going to last, whereas the Clintons are like herpes: Just when you think they’re gone, they show up again.

That’s the headline shot, of course, the kind of one-liner that a comedian would be expected to deliver about a politician. Allen takes his politics a little more seriously, though, and especially his disdain for what he calls “free-s**t” demagoguery:

What riles you up the most?

Unearned responses, unearned praise, unearned income: I have opinions about it. When you watch the debates, on both sides you see clowns who say shit that ain’t ever going to happen, but lately one party is the free shit party. They are just telling people they’re going to get all sorts of free shit. When you say you’re going to get free education, free health care — f—, free brown loafers — of course everybody’s going to say yes to that. But you don’t mean it. That’s how you rack up debt, and debt is killing us. Whatever party is going to get us out of debt is my party.

Allen isn’t backing Trump, and calls his remarks about immigrants “ignorant,” but says Trump might be a worthwhile choice for one particular area — infrastructure:

Trump can’t send everybody to Mexico or whatever the f— he said. But give that guy the roads, bridges, infrastructure, power grid — just have him fix that shit for four years. He’s good at that. And he’s a businessman so he understands how debt load works. Forget the stupid shit he says about immigrants. That’s just ignorant. But he might be able to do the stuff that really needs fixing.

Be sure to read it all. Perhaps Allen might get inspired to speak out more on conservative issues; he certainly feels pretty fearless at the moment. That’s remarkable enough in Hollywood for conservatives to note the moment.

Comments

I’m still sour on him for his conviction for big time cocaine dealing, which could have been worse.

LashRambo on January 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM

ah, trump liberated the nation of the PC gestapo. thank you Mr Trump!

nathor on January 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM

What an awful thing to say about herpes.

rbj on January 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Hillary fancies herself a bigger Santa than Sanders now.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM

LashRambo on January 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Glass houses, stones.

No flaws in your armor? No logs in your eye?

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 29, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Hillary fancies herself a bigger Santa than Sanders now.

Schadenfreude on January 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Knew you’d eventually call her a Ho. Ho ho.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 29, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Yep, the Clintons just keep coming back…

…like a bad pizza.

GrumpyOldFart on January 29, 2016 at 6:14 PM

It may become possible to cure herpes at some time in the future.
However,
there will never be a cure for the ____ Crime Family.

So yes, an awful thing to say about herpes.

Lord Whorfin on January 29, 2016 at 6:14 PM

You can treat Herpes.

libfreesMom on January 29, 2016 at 6:19 PM

I always thought of them as more syphilitic owing to such obvious, progressive brain rot over time …

ShainS on January 29, 2016 at 6:23 PM

LashRambo on January 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Glass houses, stones.

No flaws in your armor? No logs in your eye?

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 29, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Jebus Cripes, the Cruzophiles are some sanctimonious SOBs.

fossten on January 29, 2016 at 6:24 PM

I understand NASA is also studying the effect of space travel on herpes.

Maybe there are plans to send the Clintons to Mars?

malclave on January 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM

I understand NASA is also studying the effect of space travel on herpes.

Maybe there are plans to send the Clintons to Mars?

malclave on January 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Great comment.

Lord Whorfin on January 29, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Maybe there are plans to send the Clintons to Mars?

malclave on January 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM

She would get to fulfill her dream Queen of the world.

wifarmboy on January 29, 2016 at 6:31 PM

What an awful thing to say about herpes.

rbj on January 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Thread winner…shut ‘er down!

22044 on January 29, 2016 at 6:34 PM

However,
there will never be a cure for the ____ Crime Family.

Lord Whorfin on January 29, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Sure there’s a cure…

Just say the magic words “Sentences to Run Concurrently for all Conspirators…

Presto! Cured.

BlaxPac on January 29, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Maybe there are plans to send the Clintons to Mars?

malclave on January 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Hey, we already sent them Matt Damon…can’t we just let them get some breathing room? :o)

BlaxPac on January 29, 2016 at 6:37 PM

You can treat Herpes.

libfreesMom on January 29, 2016 at 6:19 PM

You can never get rid of it either.

RickB on January 29, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Tim Allen is the ultimate American story.

jake-the-goose on January 29, 2016 at 6:41 PM

LashRambo on January 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Glass houses, stones.

No flaws in your armor? No logs in your eye?

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 29, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Jebus Cripes, the Cruzophiles are some sanctimonious SOBs.

fossten on January 29, 2016 at 6:24 PM

No kidding on the Glass Stones & Houses?!? How long ago was the arrest? 1978?

Beside, isn’t the alleged purpose of our justice system rehabilitation?

And yes – there are quite a few sanctimonious SOBs around here lately.

smokeyblonde on January 29, 2016 at 6:41 PM

LashRambo on January 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM

The man was young, he made a mistake back, he served time..and then he got and made a success of himself, unlike most who just suck off the system.

You’re a hard marker – I guess you never made a mistake.

celt on January 29, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Last Man Standing is appointment TV. If you’re not watching it, you should be.

BuckeyeSam on January 29, 2016 at 6:48 PM

BlaxPac on January 29, 2016 at 6:37 PM

SPOILER ALERT ???

Haven’t seen the movie, or gotten around to reading the book… but from what I can tell, for some reason we took him back?

If that’s true, it’s kind of like shooting Old Yeller.

malclave on January 29, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Tim Allen: ‘The Clintons are like herpes.’

Donald Trump: ‘The Clintons are really terrific people.’

Pork-Chop on January 29, 2016 at 7:28 PM

WRONG!
Viruses don’t know what they are doing.

KyserS on January 29, 2016 at 7:33 PM

As many have said Timmy’s like the rest of the rich elite now. They are fine with the illegals because they don’t foresee them taking their jobs.

phadras on January 29, 2016 at 8:13 PM

The Clinton’s are more like a turd that wont flush…..

Indiana Jim on January 29, 2016 at 9:01 PM

SPOILER ALERT ???

Not REALLY…the trailers/commercials all state it pretty much…but yeah my bad, I should have considered it.

The movie is (as movies go) pretty much okay. If you haven’t read the book, you can enjoy the movie…IMHO, even if you HAVE read it.

If that’s true, it’s kind of like shooting Old Yeller.

malclave on January 29, 2016 at 6:56 PM

I dunno. I’d miss Old Yeller, for sure.

Matt Damon…?

:stroking chin:

Lemme get back in touch with you on that later.

BlaxPac on January 29, 2016 at 9:18 PM

What an unfair and demeaning comparison.
To a perfectly innocent virus.

orangemtl on January 29, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Jebus Cripes, the Cruzophiles are some sanctimonious SOBs.

fossten on January 29, 2016 at 6:24 PM

They follow their anointed king in that regard.
They were described very appropriately some time ago:

23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint, dill, and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. It is these you ought to have practiced without neglecting the others. 24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel!

25 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26 You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup,[f] so that the outside also may become clean.

27 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which on the outside look beautiful, but inside they are full of the bones of the dead and of all kinds of filth. 28 So you also on the outside look righteous to others, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous, 30 and you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 Thus you testify against yourselves that you are descendants of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of your ancestors. 33 You snakes, you brood of vipers! How can you escape being sentenced to hell?[g] 34 Therefore I send you prophets, sages, and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town, 35 so that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Barachiah, whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. 36 Truly I tell you, all this will come upon this generation.”

ebrown2 on January 29, 2016 at 11:24 PM

ebrown2 on January 29, 2016 at 11:24 PM

I believe that this verse applies to nativists:

Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’ Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’ He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’ And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

unclesmrgol on January 30, 2016 at 12:35 AM

malclave on January 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Just their DNA.
All of it.

Kenosha Kid on January 30, 2016 at 12:40 AM

You can treat Herpes.

libfreesMom on January 29, 2016 at 6:19 PM

Nope. The virus will forever be in your veins. They just got dormant.

If your immune system gets weaker, then the virus returns back big time.

TheAlamos on January 30, 2016 at 2:13 AM

WOW!

Allen got it right about the Donald: THE BEST IN ECONOMY.

Trump offers a different strategy to manage the Fed.

Those 7 dwarves in Washington are controlled by the current financial system. They to try to input their so-called “conservative” principles in the system but they fail big time.

Obama and the fed are doing worst and the brightest boy in the Republicans are just tagging along.

We thaik that conservatism is the answer the malaise in trade and economy. No! We have already mixed them up to the current system in a wrong way. Something gotta be fixed and the solution is not in playbook of conservatism alone.

What is missing is COMMON SENSE. That’s Trump.

TheAlamos on January 30, 2016 at 2:22 AM

Slick Willie’s got AIDS and he’s not forever.

Younggod on January 30, 2016 at 3:24 AM

That fuzzy white haired feeble old reprobate and his horrid, buggy eyed shrew deserve all the
disrespect that can be heaped on them. When gone, they won’t be missed.

Herpes?

What a great analogy

BigSven on January 30, 2016 at 4:56 AM

It’s too bad Tim Allen can’t see how illegal immigration ties right in with our ever increasing national debt.

Who does he think pays for all the goodies illegal aliens and their offspring (Natural Born Citizens – no less) get?

If he says “The Government” he might want to replace that with “The American Taxpayer”; and what the taxpayers can’t pay the Fed will make up for by printing a few trillion dollars out of thin air and – guess what? – add it to the national debt.

Ruckus_Tom on January 30, 2016 at 6:49 AM

Great job Tim . . . that’s the best analogy of those two dirt bags I’ve ever heard. Bravo.

rplat on January 30, 2016 at 7:13 AM

ebrown2 on January 29, 2016 at 11:24 PM
I believe that this verse applies to nativists:

unclesmrgol on January 30, 2016 at 12:35 AM

I hope you’re not saying that this commands us to take in as many illegal aliens as come across the border.

Cleombrotus on January 30, 2016 at 7:54 AM

Ruckus_Tom on January 30, 2016 at 6:49 AM

I don’t know, I took away that Tim didn’t buy Trump being able to round them up and deport the 50+ million illegals in the country. Which is correct. That’s a bad plan.

Now fining and jailing the people who give illegals jobs and housing, now that will create self deportation. A much better plan.

LoganSix on January 30, 2016 at 7:54 AM

But give that guy the roads, bridges, infrastructure, power grid and illegal aliens — just have him fix that shit for four years.

Fixed it for ya, Tim.

iosivich on January 30, 2016 at 8:28 AM

Ed,

You DO know Tim Allen has one thing in common with us, don’t you? He’s a ham [radio operator] — KK6OTD.

73 de k6whp

dit dit

The War Planner on January 30, 2016 at 9:08 AM

unclesmrgol on January 30, 2016 at 12:35 AM

I see that the scripture has hit its mark with one of our chief pharisees. There is no such thing as charity done at the point of a government gun.

4 They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear,[a] and lay them on the shoulders of others; but they themselves are unwilling to lift a finger to move them. 5 They do all their deeds to be seen by others; for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long

6 “Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So whenever you give alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be praised by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. 3 But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.[a]

ebrown2 on January 30, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Cleombrotus on January 30, 2016 at 7:54 AM

He’s saying exactly that.

ebrown2 on January 30, 2016 at 10:43 AM

ebrown2 on January 30, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Well then, let’s ask him how many he’s personally taking into his own home.

Cleombrotus on January 30, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Last man standing is kind of an inversion of Home Improvement, from the Manly Fool to the Manly Sage.

Count to 10 on January 30, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Would love to sit down to a night of heavy drinking with Allen and Mike Rowe…..

JGinGJ on January 31, 2016 at 12:10 AM