Trump teases “powerful endorsement” coming later today; Update: Jerry Falwell Jr

posted at 11:21 am on January 26, 2016 by Allahpundit

Let’s start the day right with an irresponsible-speculation thread. For Trump-lovers it’s a chance to begin building buzz. For Trump-haters it’s a chance to set expectations unrealistically high. Maybe the mystery endorser is Mitt Romney! Or George W. Bush!!!

Typically when a candidate touts a big endorsement you need to allow for the possibility that it’s the vice chairman of the state party or whatever and he’s overselling it to ingratiate himself to the voters. I don’t think Trump would puff this up unless the endorsement really was yuge, though. Local guys are small ball to him.

“I talk to senators that frankly want to come out and endorse me, it’s amazing what’s happened over the last two weeks,” he continued. “Over the last two weeks, so many people are calling and saying, ‘We want to get involved with you, we want to endorse you.’ We have a powerful endorsement coming down today.”

But Trump wouldn’t elaborate on who this powerful endorser was. “You’ll find out a little bit later,” he teased. “We have a powerful endorsement coming down today. So many people want to endorse us because they say Ted Cruz is wacky.”

It’s telling that he mentioned the endorsement in the context of Senate opposition to Cruz, I think. The endorser’s probably … Jeff Sessions, no? Sessions’s communications director joined Trump’s campaign as a policy advisor literally yesterday. Sessions himself turned up at a Trump rally in August and briefly donned a “Make America Great Again” baseball cap onstage next to Trump. He’s never endorsed in a GOP presidential primary since joining the Senate — but when asked about it last fall, he said in the course of a conversation about how he feels vindicated by Trump’s appeal that he might endorse this time. Trump also met with Sessions last year to consult with him on immigration policy. Coincidentally, a splashy piece about Sessions praising Trump’s position on trade appeared within the last 24 hours at Breitbart, which has had a pipeline to Trump throughout the campaign. A little pre-endorsement teaser to get Trump fans excited for today’s announcement? Or … is the Sessions speculation wrong? Note this bit from the Breitbart piece:

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), the intellectual leader of the modern conservative movement and the catalyst behind much of the rise of nationalist populism in this election cycle, told Breitbart News exclusively that he thinks there’s much about 2016 GOP presidential frontrunner Donald Trump for voters to like when it comes to the issue of trade negotiations.

While Sessions is, again, not officially endorsing anyone in the 2016 GOP presidential primaries, his top aide Stephen Miller, the Washington Post reported on Monday afternoon, is joining Trump’s presidential campaign as a senior policy adviser…

The decision that lays before voters in Iowa in just seven days, voters in New Hampshire eight days later, and South Carolina a couple weeks after that, couldn’t be clearer according to Sessions—who, again, just had his top aide Stephen Miller join the Trump campaign. Sessions noted that Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and 2012 GOP presidential nominee, fought for American workers on this issue in the 2012 GOP presidential primary but abandoned it in the general election. That’s why he believes it’s so important that Trump – should he or anyone else who’s tough against currency manipulation win the nomination—continue to discuss the matter when they face off against whomever the Democrats nominate, which is still expected to most likely be former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

If Sessions reiterated this week to Breitbart that he’s not endorsing then he’s not endorsing. Or maybe he’ll do for Trump what Joni Ernst did for Rubio yesterday, a “non-endorsement endorsement” where you formally maintain your neutrality but praise the candidate lavishly enough that it’s clear you’re in his corner. (Trump, ever the salesman, naturally wouldn’t observe such niceties in describing what’s about to happen.) Rick Wilson thinks that Sessions backing Trump is no big deal since any vote that might conceivably be moved by his support is already accounted for. If you care enough about immigration that Jeff Sessions might sway you, chances are you’re already with the guy who’s pretending that he’s going to deport all illegals. I don’t know, though: Cruz has been straining since November to portray himself as just as tough as Trump is on amnesty, even reaching the point of categorically ruling out legalization for illegals. Cruz has also been touting the fact that his own immigration plan was conceived after consulting with — ta da — Jeff Sessions. In fact, Sessions stood onstage with Cruz at a rally last month in Alabama and gave him cover in his war over immigration with Marco Rubio, saying of the Gang of Eight bill, “I believe, without the vigorous opposition from Ted Cruz, this bill very likely, would have passed.” If, after all that, he turned around and endorsed Trump, it’d be a strong signal on top of Palin’s that it’s okay for grassroots righties to prefer Trump to the “true conservative” Cruz. Gotta be some conservatives left in Iowa who like them both and haven’t decided yet, partly because they don’t know if they can trust Trump. Sessions endorsing Trump would be code for “Trust him.”

But maybe I’m wrong. In which case, if it’s not Sessions, who is it? While you mull that, note that Marco Rubio landed an endorsement himself today: It’s, er, George Pataki. So, yeah.

Update: Ah, I should have guessed this. It’s Jerry Falwell Jr, who praised Trump as a man of God by his deeds in his introduction to Trump’s convocation speech at Liberty University this month. Falwell’s name was also thrown around the last time Trump teased a mystery endorsement, which turned out to be Palin’s. The strategy here is obvious: Try to blunt the overwhelming support Cruz has gotten from evangelical leaders in Iowa. But that’ll have to wait for another post.

Here’s an early quote of the day: “In my opinion, Donald Trump lives a life of loving and helping others as Jesus taught in the great commandment.”

Update: Aaron Gardner reminds me of something I’d forgotten: Cruz launched his presidential campaign at Liberty University to signal his unity with social conservatives. It worked like a charm, as he’s locked up most major evangelical leaders. Just not the guy in charge at Liberty.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

And that includes Donald J. Trump as God judges righteously with ALL of the facts, which you and others here don’t. You would rather slander him and others with your ignorant opinions and insults and lies.

Really pitiful and then those that support Donald Trump are accused of being the haters of Cruz. Truth and facts are not hateful to only those that reject both.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Are you familiar with Paul. His letters to friends appear here and there in the New Testament. You may know him as Saul.

Let me summarize some of his suggestions. We are to practice discernment. We are know them by their fruits. We are not to fellowship with non-believers.

What about Jesus? We are shake the dust off our shoes at those who will not receive us. We are to condemn those who would make God’s house of prayer a house of merchandise. We are to judge those who strain at gnats and swallow camels as fools and hypocrites.

Falwell is a fool, a hypocrite and he has made God’s house a house of merchandise. Alternatively, a den of thieves.

Yesterday we judged Palin. Today we judge Falwell. This isn’t about Trump at all, except to the extent that he is a Rorschach test for others. He hasn’t changed. This is par for his course.

Immolate on January 26, 2016 at 2:42 PM

I’m holding out for the real endorsements from the “real” christians:

Paul and Jan Crouch
Benny Hinn
Kenneth Copeland
Pat Robertson
Creflo Dollar
Mark Barclay

right2bright on January 26, 2016 at 1:54 PM

Paul Crouch is dead, but there’s always Jimmy Swaggart, who also has his own TV network.

bw222 on January 26, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Trump commits adultery.

Trump admits he has never asked God for forgiveness.

But, according to Jerry Falwell, Jr, he is a beacon of light and all Christian-y.

lolz

Lime in the Coconut on January 26, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Well, he will help get rid of the dark-skinned people, which is what Falwell really cares about.

The bottom line on the Pope is that he can’t change doctrine, regardless of his South American, socialist roots. Yes, he is supposed to be the Vicar of Christ. You won’t see him waffle on abortion, and other traditional Catholic stances. Essentially, the politics of the Pope don’t matter in the long run.

Misha on January 26, 2016 at 2:39 PM

You mean he cannot change centuries of Catholic social teaching and what the Gospels say about the poor. But while I find Francis way too conservative for my tastes, I do enjoy the hypocrisy of conservatives disavowing certain Catholic teachings. Welcome to the cafeteria there!

Illinidiva on January 26, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Illinidiva on January 26, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Let me help you. He cannot change centuries of basic Christian doctrine, which is why the Catholic Church is still pro-life when others have folded like wet tortillas. Social teaching is opinion based upon one’s faith. Whole different enchilada. If you find Francis to be too conservative, there’s no help for you. The faith will not change to suit liberals, regardless of the Pope’s opinions. Conservative Catholics have not disavowed Catholic teaching. Sorry, you are badly misinformed.

Misha on January 26, 2016 at 2:54 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 26, 2016 at 2:42 PM

You must not have seen this. Or are you doing alinsky-style damage control?

In my part of Texas, no one, ladies included, is stupid enough to buy any bullsh!t about Cruz being aligned with McConnell.

Eren on January 26, 2016 at 2:55 PM

This thread is full of non-factual opinions, slander and lies. You haven’t read them?

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 2:35 PM

You mean in addition to the candidates themselves? It isn’t one sided for the candidates or their supporters, seems to be the way of politics. Probably why nearly half of those eligible to vote don’t.

Neitherleftorright on January 26, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Illinidiva, look up “Magisterium” – for many Episcopalians who felt betrayed by their church leadership, this was the ‘guarantee’ that enabled them to convert to Catholicism. Misha’s right. The Pope can say whatever he pleases but if he goes against the magisterium he loses.

Eren on January 26, 2016 at 3:00 PM

bluefox at 2:10

Thanks, wow, no wonder the phone bank ladies of my wife are all dusting up.

Very very odd this.

Ted Cruz and Mitch McConnell connected to the same PAC operator.

There seems to be no separation at all up in the world of the Two Party Evil Money Cult in Washington D.C.

These ladies are all over Texas and did a huge amount of calling to get Ted elected Senator and they are not happy at all.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 26, 2016 at 2:42 PM

The corruption runs very deep in D.C. The odor permeates the entire Country.

I don’t blame the ladies for being in an uproar and I’m sure maybe Sarah Palin knew this and it’s why she endorsed Donald Trump and not Cruz.

Keep in mind that this has been going on and we are just now finding out about it. Better late than never since our Country is at stake.
That imo is why no Congress person has ever attacked Senator Ted Cruz; not McConnell or Boehner before Paul Ryan or any of them.

The best website that researches and is conservative that I found is
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/ There is more truthful articles than anywhere and backed up with links. I’m sure you would appreciate it.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Well, he will help get rid of the dark-skinned people

Are you referring to stopping the influx of illegal aliens?

eucher on January 26, 2016 at 3:03 PM

It’s also a Christian’s obligation to display the fruits of the Spirit.

What’s your opinion of Christians who come off as hypocritical, rude, unpleasant, and haughty rather then gracious, kind, and humble, who get defensive and nasty when their unChristian behaviors are pointed out to them? Are such scolds good witnesses for Christ?

Anti-ControI on January 26, 2016 at 2:23 PM

You have a point. Maybe someday I’ll learn to moderate my fury on political blogs and try to coax people into reason rather than excoriating them, but I suspect that the best I’ll ever do is to stop reading and commenting on blogs completely.

So for now, I’ll take your rebuke in the spirit I’d like to think it was intended and turn my attention to more productive pursuits. Thank you for caring.

Immolate on January 26, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Eren on January 26, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Thanks. I could not have expressed it so well.

Misha on January 26, 2016 at 3:08 PM

bluefox,

Did some research and read some.

It is sure that Trump has known this and will use this.

The amount of money flowing to Cruz makes it impossible for him to say he is not part of the establishment any longer.

Sad, my wife is torn up over this the deal with the loans from wall street, the way he sold himself to us here in Texas, then not reporting it correct.

Second time she has been in tears.

I am such a cynic nothing these creeps in D C do is a surprise to me.

Sgt. Jerry Michael Shriver, Army E-5 Special Forces, S.O.G. 1-0 is still MIA and the Two Party Evil Money Cult left him behind in North Viet or Russian hands.

Evil to the core.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Immolate on January 26, 2016 at 2:42 PM

I don’t care to get into a Biblical discussion combined with Politics. However, I will say this. To call a Pastor a fool is not wise, as he is accountable to God. Unless anyone has proof of the charges you have laid against him, that is very foolish. His congregation are the only ones to make that determination, as Paul laid out in 1 Corinthians 5:12; not outsiders.

Judgement belongs to God and He has said “Judge not.” Others may judge another’s works if we have proof, but if not it is best to withhold a false judgement.

That is all I have to say on Religion combined with Politics.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 3:23 PM

I’d call them human sinners who still have to contend with the flesh but are saved. I’m not sure where the idea came from that everything is milquetoast for Christians where soft, honey-dripping, words fall gently from their mouths onto itching ears. A Pilgrim’s progress often takes wrong turns that lead into snares that can delay their progress. Yes, they do falter.

What I find amusing are non-Christians telling Christians how they are supposed to behave based on their perception of what they think a Christian should act like.

iamsaved on January 26, 2016 at 3:30 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 26, 2016 at 2:42 PM

You must not have seen this. Or are you doing alinsky-style damage control?

Eren on January 26, 2016 at 2:55 PM

You will accept the National Review’s opinions, but reject the facts with proof that Garyinaz66 linked to on page one of this thread.

That appears to be typical of those that are against Donald Trump.

Don’t confuse them with facts in other words.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Excuse me? Where did I say I accept the NR’s anything? What was that you were saying about judging? How long have you been a Christian?

Hosanna on January 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Was Benny Hinn involved with Rafael Cruz, David Barton and Glenn Beck?
I recall his name being mentioned a few weeks ago, but forgot where.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 2:39 PM

I’m not sure of the exact connections,but there is this page at a Christian prophecy site.

whatcat on January 26, 2016 at 3:41 PM

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Neitherleftorright on January 26, 2016 at 2:58 PM

As you said, it’s politics. I happen to believe that voters should find as much information from all sides. Statements from various commentators on websites and most importantly voting records. I do put more stock in any Politician’s voting record since their votes effect the entire Country.

Statements from all running for any office, especially the Presidential Office.

After that, I make my decision. I read and research much more than I comment:-)

I agree that those registered to vote and don’t vote is dismal. This election though appears that won’t be the case.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 3:44 PM

If you find Francis to be too conservative, there’s no help for you.
Misha on January 26, 2016 at 2:54 PM

I think it’s safe to say that, in these parts, Illinidiva is about the only one who thinks Francis is “too conservative”.

whatcat on January 26, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Misha on January 26, 2016 at 2:54 PM

Yes, I find Pope Francis very conservative on issues of gender and sexuality, especially gender. He is not only in line with the Church on issues like female ordination, but goes out of his way to make patronizing statements about women as “strawberries.” He only thinks that women should fill traditional roles like mommy and housewife.

The liberal economic stuff is standard pope fare. I am sorry that you have been badly misinformed about the long string on social teachings beginning with Rerum Novarum in the late 19th century. It is almost like there is a more robust set of encyclicals on economics than there is about birth control. Last time I checked, there was only one on the latter subject, but conservatives treat that position as infallible while repudiating the reams of stuff denouncing capitalism. This BTW is my favorite parody of the Magisterium according to George Weigel. http://vox-nova.com/2009/07/07/the-good-pope-and-the-bad-advisers-a-fable-by-george-weigel/ That was about an encyclical by Benedict BTW.

As I said, welcome to the cafeteria. I am just enjoying the hypocrisy.

Illinidiva on January 26, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Immolate on January 26, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Well, I was trying to be helpful. :)

Something it’s good for all of us to keep in mind is that we are sharing our opinions here, and that it’s counterproductive to treat these opinions as facts; it’s self-debasing to rudely talk down to others who simply disagree with us.

About your fury: see if this helps keep a good perspective.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on Earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. -Matthew 6:19-21

Anti-ControI on January 26, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Report: Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio To Endorse Donald Trump

rick perry and glen beck vs palin, fallwell and arpaio.

Garyinaz66 on January 26, 2016 at 3:59 PM

iamsaved on January 26, 2016 at 3:30 PM

What – non-Christians can’t read the NT and see what behaviors Jesus expects of His followers?

What I find amusing is when self-proclaimed Christians bristle rudely when it’s rightfully pointed out to them by others, both Christian and non-, that they aren’t acting out the ethical standards the NT demands of them; such Christians are not setting a good example, and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Anti-ControI on January 26, 2016 at 4:00 PM

whatcat on January 26, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Really not any different from JPII in his positions and attitudes, especially toward women. Francis thinks that we should all be barefoot in the kitchen. It is actually quite cringeworthy to hear him speak on the subject. And I am an economic conservative myself, but I am also into gender equality. Which puts me out in left field for the Catholic Church, but doesn’t mean that I am some flaming liberal. Sheesh, Heidi Cruz is a Goldman Sach’s executive with a Harvard MBA.

Eren on January 26, 2016 at 3:00 PM

I know what the Magisterium is. I also know that Pope Francis’ teachings on economics aren’t different from his predecessors and are part of the Magisterium. Try Googling “Rerum Novarum.”

As for the Anglicans, I could really do without the snotty, faux intellectual former Anglican ministers who became Catholic because they didn’t want to have female bosses and got a deal from the Vatican where they could keep their pensions. I suspect that Welby and other Anglican bishops laugh about how they got rid of Hunwicke, Newton, and the rest of the blowhards while enjoying their after dinner brandy and cigars.

Illinidiva on January 26, 2016 at 4:01 PM

bluefox,

Did some research and read some.

It is sure that Trump has known this and will use this.
APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Glad that you did some research on this. It’s very depressing to hear of this and hope your wife and the ladies are able to take it in stride.
I’m sure we are all disappointed in Paul Ryan and the Omnibus bill also. In fact the Republicans passing Obama’s agenda for the past 8 years. Greed and Power seems to be a twin evil on both sides.

I was a Senator Ted Cruz supporter for a long time too. However, since he decided to run for President, I’ve found issues that couldn’t be overlooked.

I’m sure many of our brave members of the Military are still not accounted for. Not to speak of the way our Veterans are treated.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 4:01 PM

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Hosanna on January 26, 2016 at 3:36 PM

?

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Second time she has been in tears.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Cruz borrowed money by putting up 100% of his security accounts as collateral. Dollar for dollar. If he fails to pay back the loans, he loses all of his pledged assets.

This is done all of the time by individuals and businesses. Are they all ‘owned’ by Wall Street?

Are you ‘owned’ by the bank from which you secured a mortgage with far less collateral than Cruz’s loans? Does your auto loan company ‘own’ you? How about your credit card company?

In 2008 his Trump International Tower in Chicago defaulted on a $40 million loan. In response, Trump blamed the global economic collapse and tried to have it declared an Act of God to relieve himself of responsibility for the default.

Guess who paid for the bailout of Deutsche Bank? You.

By the Numbers: Donald Trump’s $4.7 Billion in Bankruptcies

If your wife wants to shed tears, maybe she should cry for all of the money that investors have lost because of Trump, including pension plans for firefighters, teachers, and police officers. Maybe, she should be crying that part of her hard-earned money went to bailout banks after people like Trump shafted them.

Lime in the Coconut on January 26, 2016 at 4:13 PM

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 2:39 PM

whatcat on January 26, 2016 at 3:41 PM

It wasn’t that particular site, but does give some info on Hinn.
Thanks though.

Strange beliefs anyway, imo.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Anti-ControI on January 26, 2016 at 4:00 PM

NWConservative on January 26, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Report: Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio To Endorse Donald Trump

rick perry and glen beck vs palin, fallwell and arpaio.

Garyinaz66 on January 26, 2016 at 3:59 PM

That’s good news as Arpaio is very respected. The only one I’d not want is Glenn Beck. He has too many problems and wanting to be kingmaker is one.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 4:20 PM

So which Executive Branch departments is Trump going to close?

TBSchemer on January 26, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Didn’t Falwell already endorse Trump?

I don’t keep up on the preachers, but really I thought this happened last week.

petunia on January 26, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Sheriff Joe up next.

VorDaj on January 26, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Lime in the Coconut on January 26, 2016 at 4:13 PM

The difference is that Donald Trump was a business person.

Senator Ted Cruz is an elected member of Congress.

Stating what Donald Trump did or didn’t do in the private sector has nothing to do with what Senator Ted Cruz has done.

Now, if you’ve been following the latest news on Cruz/McConnell and Super Pacs, then Senator Cruz may have more problems other than the loans.

See Page one of this thread and Garyinaz66’s post.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Francis thinks that we should all be barefoot in the kitchen.
Illinidiva on January 26, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Shameful! Well, I disagree with him on that of course! In fact, I insist women wear shoes when they’re in the kitchen getting dinner ready or making sandwiches for the menfolk to snack on. But slippers are okay, too.

whatcat on January 26, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Didn’t Falwell already endorse Trump?

I don’t keep up on the preachers, but really I thought this happened last week.

petunia on January 26, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Not officially yet. I think he made some remarks after Donald Trump appeared at Liberty University.

I think Schad posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYSZy515W1Q

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Didn’t Falwell already endorse Trump?

I don’t keep up on the preachers, but really I thought this happened last week.

petunia on January 26, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Junior isn’t a preacher. He is an attorney and president of Liberty University.

Lime in the Coconut on January 26, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Didn’t Falwell already endorse Trump?

I don’t keep up on the preachers, but really I thought this happened last week.

petunia on January 26, 2016 at 4:30 PM

I believe he just introduced Trump in a laudatory fashion at Liberty U last week, not an official endorsement.

whatcat on January 26, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Time for dinner:-)

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM

whatcat on January 26, 2016 at 4:37 PM

I do not consider sexism funny.

Illinidiva on January 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM

The difference is that Donald Trump was a business person.

Senator Ted Cruz is an elected member of Congress.

See Page one of this thread and Garyinaz66’s post.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Bullshit. Cruz’s ‘Wall Street loans’ were loans he took out to run for Senate and put up 100% collateral. He could have done the same thing at any bank and, if you know the least bit about financing, you’d know that the more collateral you pledge, the lower the interest rate you will be charged.

As far as the PAC is concerned, the only trouble Cruz would have would be if he is directly coordinating with it. As for McConnell, Donald Trump gave him more than $50,000 when he was running against TEA Partier, Matt Bevin.

And, if you are going to give Trump a pass for defaulting on tens of millions of dollars in loans to banks that we had to bailout because he was a ‘private businessman’, then you’ll have to do the same for everyone on Wall Street. They were ‘private businessmen’, too.

There goes your ‘But, but, but, WALL STREET!!!!’ argument.

Lime in the Coconut on January 26, 2016 at 4:45 PM

I wonder how large a donation was involved.

talkingpoints on January 26, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Hmmm, I must admit that crossed my mind as well.

I think Trump has this thing sewn up one way or another. And I think the proper response to that is to get some solid promises out of him to do things we want.

I feel very powerless, I do wish power brokers would start to move on and get Donald down on paper to only nominate people like Ted Cruz for the Supreme Court. Because in the long run that will matter most.

petunia on January 26, 2016 at 4:46 PM

A tale of two Kings…

Rep Steve King has endorsed Cruz.

Rep Peter King prefers Trump.

Hmmmm……..

Lime in the Coconut on January 26, 2016 at 4:53 PM

I do not consider sexism funny.

Illinidiva on January 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Well, we all have our own peculiarities. I don’t consider it a really good sandwich unless the sandwich includes bacon, for example.

whatcat on January 26, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Lime in the Coconut on January 26, 2016 at 4:45 PM

The Cruz loans are not immoral or hypocritical. He got a loan from a bank he had connections to through his wife, we all do that kind of thing, we don’t want to apply and be turned down, we go with out best bet… and he didn’t have the kind of cash Trump apparently has, he needed money… I certainly can’t fault him for that. How could anyone have that kind of cash?

Also, Trump did suspend his campaign a while back to do some “business”… I wonder what that was. Maybe he also had to get a line of credit because just having that money in cash seems unlikely for anyone. And that would be very hypocritical to do that and accuse Ted. I don’t know if any of that comes from Trump or not.

But I disagree on the bankruptcies. I don’t think he defaulted. I was concerned about the multiple bankruptcies too. But I do think in that level of business it is not uncommon to do a “reorganization” which is a bankruptcy. The business might get better terms on loans… but they work with creditors to have everyone still come out okay. I think in bankruptcy, if you have money you can’t just walk away from your obligations, the court makes approves a plan to pay.

If he did stick it to anyone,(especially employees) we should find that out! Because the Democrats will certainly parade them in front of the world. So the question is valid but if there was more to it than just the way business is done… I think we would know it by now.

petunia on January 26, 2016 at 4:59 PM

petunia on January 26, 2016 at 4:59 PM

I know that there is nothing unethical, immoral or illegal about Cruz’s loans. Other people are lighting their hair on fire over them.

How could he have that kind of money? He worked as a highly-paid and hugely-successful lawyer in private practise for several years. When you are a lawyer at the level Cruz was (arguing before SCOTUS numerous times – successfully), you make 7 figures.

Trump’s company did default on the loan regarding the building in Chicago in 2008.

Lime in the Coconut on January 26, 2016 at 5:17 PM

iamsaved on January 26, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Anti-ControI on January 26, 2016 at 4:00 PM

I understood iamsaved’s point to be that non-believers, who have misconceptions of what the bible says is correct or incorrect behavior will tell them how they should behave without really understanding what is or isn’t required.

That being said, I do think it is hard for us to keep our nature in check, Paul wrote some amazing letters on this, and so it is a real problem. James talked about how hard it is to “tame the tongue” and here on the internet our fingers are our tongue. I often find myself, for no real good reason, going down a road that is incorrect and a detriment to my wanting to serve God through faith and obedience to His word, through His son.

Not an excuse, rather a reminder to myself, that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

Thanks to you Anti-Control and others for reminding me to act in accordance with the admonitions in God’s word.

Neitherleftorright on January 26, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Did you not notice that I was sharing what amused me in response?

Anti-ControI on January 26, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Neitherleftorright on January 26, 2016 at 5:53 PM

I believe it’s only as difficult to do this as a person thinks it is, i.e. if you start thinking it’s easy to do, it becomes easier (and you do know that God is there to help one make this so ;)).

Anti-ControI on January 26, 2016 at 6:08 PM

I do not consider sexism funny.

Illinidiva on January 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM

This is but one of your major problems. Most feminists come off as humorless scolds, if that would change you would likely encounter less resistance. But it is not likely to happen, the nature of a scorpion is to sting. I am OK with economic feminism but gender feminism is a just silly, it encourges one to disbelieve their eyes and experience. Happy Motoring!

A.T. Tapman on January 26, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Falwell. Another “man of God” who has no clue what he is talking about and will sell his soul to catch someone else’s scraps.

TQM38a on January 26, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Ooohhh, ‘powerful’ endorsement of freaking Jerry Falwell? Powerful if this election were being held in 1993, maybe. And, Sheriff Joe? He’s unfortunately gone from America’s toughest sheriff to complete buffoon with his Birther nonsense. I know, I’m from Az.

kit9 on January 26, 2016 at 7:44 PM

kit9 on January 26, 2016 at 7:44 PM

I live in Maricopa County, and you’re full of crap. Go crawl back under your bridge, troll.

JannyMae on January 26, 2016 at 8:58 PM

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 4:36 PM

What 100% collateral did he use? He’s on record as saying:
” In a glimpse into their marriage that Mr. Cruz called “illustrative,” he recalled saying to his wife in the weeks before his Senate primary, when he was still behind in the polls, “Sweetheart, I’d like us to liquidate our entire net worth, liquid net worth, and put it into the campaign.”

“What astonished me, then and now, was Heidi within 60 seconds said, ‘Absolutely,’ with no hesitation,” said Mr. Cruz, who invested about $1.2 million — “which is all we had saved,” he added — into his campaign.

The problem that Senator Ted Cruz has is that he was required to file with the FEC all loans he used for his Senate campaign in 2012 & they were to be filed during the primary and general election campaigns. He is 4 years past due.

Kent Cooper, a former election commission official, said the letter from the Cruz campaign was still “lacking critical information” that candidates must report, including the exact amount of the loans and whether there were any co-signers. Federal law required that those details, and more, were to be reported during the primary and general election campaigns.

“This failure to disclose to the public,” Mr. Cooper said, “meant voters in Texas did not have the required information.”

So, Senator Ted Cruz and his wife lied “who invested about $1.2 million — “which is all we had saved,” he added — into his campaign.”

When we now know it was the Goldman Sachs and Citibank loans that they put into his Senate Campaign and then did not comply with the FEC filing requirement. And STILL has not complied fully. Why not?

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 9:33 PM

JannyMae on January 26, 2016 at 8:58 PM

The trolls & haters are always out in full force during an important election.

bluefox on January 26, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Proving once again that evangelical politicos are frauds and the bargain with evangelicalism has been a bad deal for the GOP.

evergreen on January 27, 2016 at 5:39 AM

Liberty alumni trash Trump endorsement

Scores of Liberty University alumni expressed surprise, dismay, and even embarrassment Tuesday after the school’s president, Jerry Falwell Jr., endorsed Republican front-runner Donald Trump for president

“If we’d known an endorsement was imminent, we may have spoken up louder and sooner,” said Liberty graduate Janet Kelly, who was Virginia’s secretary of the Commonwealth from 2010 to 2014…

“To try to equate Christian fruit with creating jobs is laughable,” said Dean Inserra, a 2003 Liberty graduate and lead pastor of City Church Tallahassee, a Southern Baptist congregation in Tallahassee, Fla., with about 1,500 attendees….

Liberty’s alumni network came alive in the aftermath of Falwell’s announcement—with almost all of the conversation negative, according to numerous graduates. Most of the disagreement revolved around which candidate Falwell endorsed, not the fact that he endorsed a candidate.

But several alumni said the endorsement illustrated that Falwell had lost sight of the university’s mission to “build champions for Christ.”…

Patterson and several others said the announcement makes them less likely to give to the school and predicted long-term effects among donors. They said they’re becoming increasingly reluctant to be associated with their university in public.

“When Jerry Falwell Jr. makes a personal endorsement of Donald Trump, there are tens of thousands of us in our workplaces and stations who have to explain the rationale for it,” said former Pennsylvania state Rep. Jeff Coleman, a 2001 liberty graduate. “It’s not just a decision that impacts one person or one family.”

INC on January 27, 2016 at 7:02 AM