Hillary: Heck no, my secret, unauthorized, and unsecured e-mail server wasn’t an error in judgment

posted at 10:01 am on January 26, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

In this clip from last night’s Democratic Party “town hall,” one can almost sense Chris Cuomo channeling his inner “Dr. Evil”: Toss me a friggin’ bone here. The CNN host all but set up an easy spike for Hillary Clinton when bringing up the e-mail scandal that has become the center of an FBI investigation. Rather than delve into the exposure of national-security information and the clear intent of the system to evade legitimate constitutional oversight of the State Department, Cuomo describes the whole mess as a “mistake,” and offers Hillary the opportunity to offer an apology.

And Hillary won’t even do that much. In fact, Hillary refused to agree that setting up a secret homebrew e-mail system was even “an error in judgment,” insisting that she didn’t do anything wrong … and proving Cuomo’s point about her refusal to admit “mistakes.”

CUOMO:  On that issue, the Des Moines Register, as we said earlier, gave you an endorsement. Did it question your judgment, though, when it came to the email issue?  They said, and you know this, but for the audience, in 2008 “when she says” – “when she makes a mistake she should just say so.”  This weekend they said that’s a lesson that you have not learned.  Yes, you apologized, but only when you needed to, not when you first could have.  Fair criticism?

CLINTON:  Well, I think that they’re – you know, look, I was delighted to get the Register’s endorsement.  And it was a very generous one.  And yes, I think that’s a fair criticism. You know I had no intention of doing anything other than having a convenient way of communicating, and it turned out not to be so convenient.  So again, we’ve answered every question and we will continue to do so. But you know maybe being faster, trying to scramble around to find out what all of this means, I probably should have done that quicker.

CUOMO:  You’re willing to say it was an error in judgment,  you should’ve apologized…

CLINTON:  No.  I’m not willing to say it was an error in judgment because what – nothing that I did was wrong.  It was not – it was not in any way prohibited.  And so…

CUOMO:  Not apologizing sooner I mean.

CLINTON:  Well, apologizing sooner, as soon as you can.  But part of the problem, and I would just say this as, not an excuse but just as an explanation. When you’re facing something like that you got to get the facts.  And it takes time to get the facts.  And so when I said hey, take all my emails, make them public.  That had never been done before, ever by anybody.  And so we’ve been sorting our way through this because it is kind of a unique situation.

I’m happy people are looking at the emails.  Some of them are you know, frankly a little embarrassing…(LAUGHTER) You know.  You find out that sometimes I’m not the best on technology and things like that.  But look, I think it’s great.  Let people sort them through.  And as we have seen there is a lot of – you know a lot of interest.  But it’s something that took time to get done.

“It takes time to get the facts”? Let’s not forget that Hillary Clinton set up this system just as she was getting confirmed as Secretary of State in 2009. By the time the existence of this server became known to Congress, she had been out of office for a year and a half — and it would take another seven months before she gave State the communications that rightly belonged in the archives all along. She had time to delete almost half of the messages on the server before complying with the Federal Records Act, which means that “take all my e-mails, make them public” is just a flat-out lie.

More than anything, though, this proves what the Des Moines Register noted about Hillary eight years ago, and noted again last week:

She is not a perfect candidate, as evidenced the way she has handled the furor over her private email server. In our endorsement of her 2008 campaign for president, we wrote that “when she makes a mistake, she should just say so.” That appears to be a lesson she has yet to fully embrace.

She doesn’t just refuse to fully embrace it. Hillary refuses to even accept a gift minimalization of the serial violations of federal law by a friendly media source when served on a silver platter. Almost a year later, Hillary still needs “time” for a snow job that almost no one’s buying any more, not even the friendlier media trying to gently nudge her into reality.

Comments

Even her coughs lie.

SpongePuppy on January 26, 2016 at 10:04 AM

As UnCivil Discourse proves, the libs are willfully blind to her criminal activity, this won’t hurt her in the least

Rogue on January 26, 2016 at 10:05 AM

She should have a visa over stay from Mars problem!

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM

And I was taken to the woodshed for pointing my satellite dish to HBO and watching without paying back in the 80’s….

Electrongod on January 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Well… She’s telling the truth…

It wasn’t an error of judgement, she did it intentionally and she stands by her ideology that she had a private email server to protect her liberties. Had she NOT used the server to pass along state emails including military secrets I’d have fully agreed with her.

Would the GOPe have the same cajones as her in standing up for their ideologies instead of capitulating to show how much they care.

Skywise on January 26, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Anyone who buys this “convenience” line of malarkey is saying that logging on to a secure established system with credentials supplied and maintained by State Dept. IT professionals is less convenient than hiring your own IT company to install separate servers in your home.

smartaleck on January 26, 2016 at 10:10 AM

“Laws are for the Serfs… peasant!!!,” the psychotic former First Lady continued.

viking01 on January 26, 2016 at 10:10 AM

I wished someone yelled out
YOU LIE

cmsinaz on January 26, 2016 at 10:11 AM

She lies so easily. Just like claiming a sniper shot at her and Chelsea.

Flange on January 26, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Electrongod on January 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Obama: “I’m sorry citizen but I don’t believe you understand how the United States works – were a nation of laws that you must obey and that I must impose upon you to teach you how to think and behave properly. Second chances will be given to people I deem worthy and at my whim. Beg for mercy from me.”

Skywise on January 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Electrongod on January 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Wow, you’re out of jail already???…

PatriotRider on January 26, 2016 at 10:13 AM

If she was to admit her mistake to set up an illegal, unsecure, private email server that illegally retained, at last count, 1340 CLASSIFIED emails, in her next breath she would have to say: “Because of the impending indictment for multiple violations of the Federal Records Act and the Espionage Act, of serious health concerns, I am ending my candidacy for President.”

GAlpha10 on January 26, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Like many criminals Cankles figured she’d never get caught or could buy her way out of it.

The home server scheme was to protect her State Department favoritism for Clinton Crime Family Foundation donations from public scrutiny.

Hillary’s diseased, dissolute mind cared as much for top secret data as Slick did for his probable rape victims.

So far it appears affirmative-action disaster AG Loretta Lynch probably is letting her buy her way out of it.

viking01 on January 26, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Listen, progressives don’t care.

Law breaking and wrongdoing, failing of one’s public trust are all perfectly okay with progressives.

If you deny absolute right and wrong and replace it with an ideology of what is right for me or wrong for me under these circumstances, you get politicians like Hillary and Obama and voters like Tlaloc and CivilDiscourse.

To expect them to even understand the concept of ethics and morality is like discussing calculus with an 8 year old- with all the best will in the world, one side of the discussion lacks anything but knowing the existence of the nouns involved.

Dolce Far Niente on January 26, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Legalese – realize that all of this nightmare scenarios we’ve been undergoing in this great nation didn’t start with Obama or 9/11 but since 1992 and under The Presidency of William H Clinton. Where his administration, personally, restructured the relationship of government by the people and for the people to we don’t know what the laws are until we settle their meaning in court. “It depends on what the definition of is… Is…” (And even then we’ll change those meanings at whim.

Now the Clintons didn’t come up with this ideology – it’s been socialist 101 for years but they executed it (and execute it) better than anyone. Obama is just a poor also-ran here sliding along on their coattails.

So – back to my point – the Clintons (and thus the DNC) use the same definitions they do with election vote counting – nothing is the truth until THEY say it is and if the court finds against them, the court is wrong and the “real facts” have been suppressed.

Don’t you guys read history?

Skywise on January 26, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Wow, you’re out of jail already???…

PatriotRider on January 26, 2016 at 10:13 AM

It was the prison’s satellite dish…

(ducks and runs)

viking01 on January 26, 2016 at 10:21 AM

Rogue on January 26, 2016 at 10:05 AM

As long as there are people ready and willing to believe, lay on the lie as long as it lasts.

itsspideyman on January 26, 2016 at 10:22 AM

That appears to be a lesson she has yet to fully embrace.

IOW, the Register acknowledges that she is dishonest and doesn’t learn from her mistakes. But it endorsed her anyway. WOW.

GWB on January 26, 2016 at 10:22 AM

The current leaders in both parties primaries seem to feel that ever admitting a mistake or needing to reverse a previous public position gives too much an appearance of weakness; so they go to extreme lengths to make it seem they were not wrong or are not changing their position. This is the realm of obsession not reality. It is a major flaw of Obama as well. It is OK to say “My personal feeling (is or was)X but the public clearly feels Y so as a public servant in a democracy, we will do Y” or to say “With 20 20 hindsight, while there are arguments on both sides of this, there are things I was not aware of that shift the argument to the other side”.

KW64 on January 26, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Hillary refuses to even accept a gift minimalization of the serial violations of federal law by a friendly media source when served on a silver platter.

It’s not wrong if a Clinton does it. If she were standing before a judge having been convicted of murdering children and she was going to be given the death penalty she would still say she did nothing wrong.

rbj on January 26, 2016 at 10:23 AM

wonder why people call it a homebrew mail server when its the same type of server the feds (.gov) use?
homebrew would be mix of dovecot/exim/etc.
all free.
all easy to setup

call it what it actually is, an expensive single seat (I suspect SBS2011 used) mail server setup improperly with no known security appliances protecting it and a self signed ssl cert that was useless.

going to an exchange server shows a conscious decision to spend money to control all emails she dealt with.
setting this up takes quite a bit of time and effort.

dmacleo on January 26, 2016 at 10:25 AM

I didn’t watch the debate. Was this the only question Cuomo offered on the classified materials scandal? Nothing on the IG’s letter to Congress and its allegation that Clinton’s emails contained Top Secret/SAP information?

Atlantian on January 26, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Bill and Hillary must have some strong influence over Obama.
Hard to believe that Obama would let her walk.

Thinking Bill convinced Obama that Obama’s legacy will be tarnished if he indicts Hillary…Plus Bill must have promised Obama mega-mega million$ in support of the soon-to-be Obama Presidential library….plus Hillary threatening to release info on how Obama ordered the illegal gun running via Benghazi…what else could the Clintons have that Obama is afraid of?

albill on January 26, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Again – it’s completely legal AND expected for government officials to setup a separate communication line (email, chat) to communicate and discuss private and purely political topics.

BUT the PUBLIC and PRIVATE communications must not cross! So Hillary is answering perfectly right here – the press, as usual, is asking the wrong questions. Questions that would’ve been breathlessly out of their mouths if they AND WHEN they asked Sarah Palin the same thing.

“Why did you discuss official government business on private communication lines?”
“Why did you transmit top secret information regarding official government business to a private server?”

Skywise on January 26, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Is there a statue of limitations on this where a new administration could prosecute her?

karenhasfreedom on January 26, 2016 at 10:26 AM

“Well Chris, the only mistake I think I may have made is getting caught.”

PackerBronco on January 26, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Must not question The Reich !

viking01 on January 26, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Jail the old hag already.

Aizen on January 26, 2016 at 10:28 AM

smartaleck on January 26, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Actually, her set-up was more convenient. Without her illegal, un-secure, private email server, in order to send and receive classified material, she would have to go to a SCIF to read and print out classified documents. Then, she would have to sign for receipt of the document, then properly secure it in a secure location.

The “convenience” line is not about having multiple devices. I have a non-secure government Blackberry. On it, I have my government email address, my work email address (I’m a contract employee), and my personal email address. All perfectly legal.

The “convenience” line is about not having to comply with established safeguard to protect our nation’s secrets, it’s about being able to hide her communications from oversight and to be able to illegally send and receive classified emails and documents on a un-secure network.

But you are correct in stating that it would be more convenient just to have a CAC (Common Access Card – which the DoD uses, or the State Department counterpart), put it in the slot on your keyboard and access the government non-classified network.

GAlpha10 on January 26, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Arrogant or stupid?

She also hates to shake hands with you, the sheeple who vote for her.

You’re just chaff.

Schadenfreude on January 26, 2016 at 10:30 AM

Her Royal Thighness won’t be the nominee.

ConstantineXI on January 26, 2016 at 10:32 AM

It’s more convenient in our medical office to just yell out people’s names and social security numbers, rather than using a HIPAA compliant system. We just scrawl their diagnosis on a big chalkboard in the waiting area, to keep track of who they are and why they’re here.

Also, it’s more convenient for me to skip filling out a 1040 long form, so I’m just going to write a check for what I figured out I owe, and the IRS is cool with that, amirite?

Convenience. The convenient excuse. But only when you’re Queen Cankles.

orangemtl on January 26, 2016 at 10:33 AM

orangemtl on January 26, 2016 at 10:33 AM

I’m planning on a refund. Can I just go down to the closest Federal Reserve Bank and take what they owe me?

GAlpha10 on January 26, 2016 at 10:36 AM

rbj on January 26, 2016 at 10:23 AM

Killary: “Judge, they just needed killin’.”

vnvet on January 26, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Call me cynical. She obviously broke the law. She obviously didn’t care about the nations’s security.

She won’t be charged with anything and has a decent shot at being the President.

Is there any greater example than this to show the media bias? The head explodes just thinking if Condi Rice were running for President and she had the utter lack of judgement that Hillary has shown and the media firestorm that would be surrounding this every day. Condi would probably be charged and the Democrats would shriek with joy over the same things they don’t care about now.

jjjdad on January 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM

If she skates on this and gets elected we all should raise a white flag and fly it everyday. Laws are truly meant to be broken. My concern is what color uniforms will we be forced to wear.

docflash on January 26, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Putting things into perspective,

she’s trying to run for POTUS. I can’t believe at any time while she was working at State, that this was never in her mind.

If she didn’t consider this to be a possible obstacle to becoming president, then how in the hell can she be considered presidential material?

itsspideyman on January 26, 2016 at 10:40 AM

“Shazzam! If Miss Hillary says their wasn’t no email scandal then by rights I gotta say there weren’t none?”

“Wouldn’t you agree, Barney?”

Stepan on January 26, 2016 at 10:43 AM

That whole sequence, and the rest of the whole show last night, was a joint production of Team Clinton and CNN.

The audience “question people” were plants and were given their scripts. Cuomo had his script. Herself had hers, but of course was allowed to freewheel it any way she wished.

Sting on January 26, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Here’s the question someone in the media needs to ask Clinton:

It is widely expected that the FBI will bring a criminal referral against you, Abedin, Mills, and Kennedy for serial violations of national security laws. If so, will you put the Democratic Party ahead of your personal ambition and drop out of the race, regardless of whether or not the Obama Justice Department indicts you?

motionview on January 26, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Missed a lot of these events as other more immediate things needed attention: So, at any other “debate’s” or “interviews”, did she need another bathroom break?

I’d be inclined to designate this and the accompanying blathering arrogance, er,

“Piddling while ROM Berned”….

RL on January 26, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Why would the Register endorse her in the first place? I guess the whole media belongs to Hillary

garydt on January 26, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Well in that case – that means it was an intentional criminal act.
That confession should help the jury.

dentarthurdent on January 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM

It’s hilarious, in a way. She tries so desperately to look “more human”, but when she’s all but given an out for her biggest scandal that would have made her look completely human, she of course says “No.”

Rusty Nail on January 26, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Replace “convenient” with “secret”…

You know I had no intention of doing anything other than having a secret way of communicating, and it turned out not to be so secret.

ITguy on January 26, 2016 at 11:23 AM

And so when I said hey, take all my emails, make them public. That had never been done before, ever by anybody.

Gov. Palin? Remember when the papers were actually trying to crowdsource the emails reading to find something juicy to publish?

The Schaef on January 26, 2016 at 11:25 AM

CNN trash

Schadenfreude on January 26, 2016 at 11:30 AM

The Schaef on January 26, 2016 at 11:25 AM

Well, except for the thousands that she had deleted.

And, forgetting the fact that the official emails are not “her” property, but the property of the federal government, to be archived, by law.

Of course, nobody had ever conducted all of their official business on an illegal, unsecure, private email server.

GAlpha10 on January 26, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Des Moines Register:
She’s a liar, far from perfect and lives in a ivory tower, but she’s all we Democrats could come up with, so we kinda, sorta endorse her.

Neitherleftorright on January 26, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Eager to chime in after Monday night’s CNN Iowa Democratic presidential town hall, the cast assembled on CNN Tonight gushed over how it was “like a slam dunk contest” for the three candidates as Bernie Sanders “did a helluva job” while Hillary Clinton “knocked it completely out of the park,” and continued addressing critics who’ve disliked her since the 1990s because she’s “a figure of cultural change.

Host Don Lemon admitted to the panel from the beginning that it was “very interesting” and told chief political analyst Gloria Borger that “Hillary Clinton showed up” to which Borger repeated that sentiment and hyped that Clinton, Sanders, and Martin O’Malley “had to stand up because they had so much energy.”

cat_owner on January 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM

CUOMO: You’re willing to say it was an error in judgment, you should’ve apologized…

CLINTON: No. I’m not willing to say it was an error in judgment because what – nothing that I did was wrong. It was not – it was not in any way prohibited. And so…

I would say calling it a mistake is the same as calling it an error judgement. Yet now she can’t do that because the Bern is hot on her heals.

But in retrospect, as I look back at it now, even though it was allowed, I should have used two accounts. One for personal, one for work-related emails. That was a mistake. I’m sorry about that. I take responsibility.”

How can anyone really be considering voting for this witch?

Patriot Vet on January 26, 2016 at 1:07 PM

You see Chris, even if I commit a crime, that crime, immediately becomes law. It’s simple really… Now get on your knees and give my husband a hummer…

2Tru2Tru on January 26, 2016 at 1:08 PM

I don’t know about you, but if I decided purposely to break the law I’d be exercising bad judgement that displays a very low level of morality and a high degree of corruption. I of course wouldn’t get a pass and be acceptable as a nominee for my corrupt party either, I’d be sitting in jail, probably without bail until my trial too.

Politicians that do this sort of thing should face the death penalty. They’d either get smarter about hiding this sort of thing or they wouldn’t do it at all. I prefer the latter of course, killery is so arrogant she doesn’t care.

Andy__B on January 26, 2016 at 1:41 PM

More self-serving gibbledy-gark from the Felonious Hag! Lock her generous @$$ up and throw away the

MadVlad on January 26, 2016 at 1:42 PM

I’m sorry about that. I take responsibility.”

For us rubes that means we accept the consequences whether or not we meant to commit the crime. For her and pols like her the consequences is having to give a bullshit non apology apology.

We’re supposed to just shut up and accept the fact that we have to abide by laws and they don’t.

Andy__B on January 26, 2016 at 1:45 PM

I think this subject would make a wonderful question on Thursday night. There will be several lawyers present who I’m sure, will be more than happy to correct her statements and damn the admin for failing to act on the FBI investigation. Instead of DT calling everyone school yard bully names, he could call Killary a few things like liar, law breaker, money grubber and a few he could come up with on his own.

Kissmygrits on January 26, 2016 at 2:03 PM

This despicable woman is ether clinically insane or is insanely stupid, or both.

rplat on January 26, 2016 at 2:29 PM

There you have it ladies and gentleman. Hillary! may be a liar. She may be incompetent. Like our current Democratic president, she has no major accomplishments.

BUT SHE’S OUR LYING, INCOMPETENT, NO ACCOMPLISHMENT CANDIDATE!!

GarandFan on January 26, 2016 at 2:31 PM

I’m quite sure it was not an error in judgment, except possibly for her belief that nothing would be made of her crimes. She simply and straightforwardly committed crimes, and expected that, as a Clinton, all would be rendered irrelevant. And, unfortunately, such will likely come to pass.

Her health problems may be more problematic for her. Barry cannot save her from such.

FeedTheHogs on January 26, 2016 at 9:32 PM