Trump’s campaign manager: If Fox won’t remove Megyn Kelly as moderator, maybe we’ll hold our own townhall on Thursday night

posted at 11:21 am on January 25, 2016 by Allahpundit

Lewandowski’s bluffing, just as Trump bluffed before the September debate in implying that he might not participate unless CNN devoted the proceeds to veterans groups. Stirring a little extra controversy is all part of Trump’s regular debate pre-game. And there’s not a ghost of a chance that Roger Ailes will meet his demand: Not only would he look weak in caving, he would humiliate the network’s new biggest star in doing so. If Fox wants to keep Kelly away from network news, agreeing with Trump that she’s tainted by bias and needs to be kicked off the panel would be the worst thing they could do. Besides, half the reason to watch this freak show is because it’s the first time she and Trump will be face to face since the unpleasantness of the August debate. Who knows what holes he’ll accuse her of bleeding out of this time?

But never mind all that. Question: Would skipping the debate and hosting an event of his own that night be a smart move for Trump? I can see the argument that it would.

Trump’s campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, indicated that Trump could walk away from the debate if Fox won’t exclude Kelly. “Let’s see what happens,” he told me. “It’s fair to say Mr. Trump is a significant ratings driver for these debates. If we aren’t on stage for some reason, they wouldn’t have the record 24 million viewers and would be back with 1-2 million people.”…

In a statement to reporters, Fox News spokesperson Irena Briganti said: “Megyn Kelly has no conflict of interest. Donald Trump is just trying to build up the audience for Thursday’s debate, for which we thank him.”…

Lewandowski, Trump’s campaign manager, told me Trump could stage his own televised town hall on Thursday night and let Fox’s rivals air it. “That would be a great idea,” he said.

It is a great idea. Imagine if Team Trump threw together some sort of mega-rally on Thursday night and handed exclusive broadcast rights to CNN. Maybe that’s logistically impossible: They’d have to do it ASAP to give CNN time to promote it, and it’d have to be a capital-E Event to draw viewers away from the debate. A normal Trump speech might not hack it. But that’s what Trump’s good at — he’s a showman, so here’s his chance to put on a show. He could say that he’s boycotting the debate because he doesn’t trust Fox’s “establishment” media filter, which would create a bit of awkwardness for Cruz, and wants to take his message to the people. And whatever the event ends up being, it’d have to be held in Iowa, of course. Otherwise skipping the debate might offend Iowans as a signal that he felt he no longer needed to compete for their votes. The spectacle of Trump alone on one channel before a raucous audience versus the other stiffs on Fox debating the finer points of immigration policy would signal to voters just how “different” his candidacy is. And imagine the humiliation to Fox if Trump’s thing on CNN did ratings comparable to the debate, or at least put a major dent in Fox’s share.

But then, if Trump was inclined to go this route, presumably he’d have already taken steps to plan something. At a minimum, he would have held the Palin endorsement in reserve for this week’s Thursday night “event.” Not even Trump is likely to draw the media away from the drama of a debate — but a “special event” featuring a “major announcement” with special guest Sarah Palin would have. Which is why, as I say, this is all a bluff and Trump will be there onstage on Thursday. Besides, why would he punish Fox News for his beef with Megyn Kelly specifically? With the exception of Kelly and a few others, there’s no cable news outlet that’s deeper in the tank for Trump than Fox is:

The reactions of several Fox personalities seemed to mirror the sentiment FNC host Jeanine Pirro expressed on Twitter that morning: “The National Review needs to get in line with the rest of the Republicans. How dare they trash the front-runner Donald Trump!”…

“These words should disturb every American,” said co-host Harris Faulkner. “He [Trump] is not deserving of conservative support in the caucuses and primaries. Whose job is it to decide who gets to be where? It’s the voters who decide. It is not any particular party. That’s offensive on its face.”

Co-host Andrea Tantaros faulted National Review for a lack of credibility, saying that instead of criticizing Trump, they should write about why Trump is resonating with so many in the Republican base, and direct their magazine’s fire at the GOP establishment…

Later on The Five, Eric Bolling expressed worry that the essays would provide more fuel for Democrats to use against Trump if he made it to the general election — a concern suspiciously hard to find during Trump’s trashing of his fellow Republican candidates throughout the primary.

“Everyone’s now saying, Oh he doesn’t check this box, he doesn’t check this box,” complained [Jesse] Watters. “Do you know what box is important to check? Filling up 40,000-people stadiums on a Tuesday night. That’s the box that counts on Election Day. I don’t think principles matter if you can’t get elected and institute those principles. And I think a lot people now are putting pure conservatism over the country.”

Don’t forget the defenses of Trump from star hosts like Greta Van Susteren and Sean Hannity and the fact that “Fox & Friends” has given him a regular form to promote his views for years. (And that’s just the cable-news wing of conservative media. Conservative talk radio’s months-long promotion of Trump is another matter.) After all that, it says a lot about the thinness of Trump’s skin that he’d even tease the idea of skipping a Fox debate because there’s one host there who won’t gladhand him.

Something to think about: Why should Trump’s polling be considered so impressive given the phenomenal advantage he’s had over the rest of the field in his access to media, not just on Fox but among outlets across the spectrum? Jeb Bush’s critics have been goofing on him for nearly a year because he hasn’t been able to translate the staggering amount of money his Super PAC started with into any poll momentum. His dad’s rich friends gave him $100 million to buy the nomination and he’s still in single digits. Trump, however, has been given the equivalent of untold millions in free advertising over the past six months from media outlets willing, for the sake of ratings, to grant him as much airtime as he likes, and his polling isn’t wildly different today from where it was when he first surged into the lead last summer. On any given morning, Trump could call in to CNN and get 10-20 minutes to talk about whatever he wants; someone like Cruz or Rubio is lucky to get one four-minute carefully structured interview segment by comparison. Trump was at 25.8 percent in Iowa on September 2 in RCP’s poll average and, until just this past week when he started to inch up, he was still at 26-27 percent there in mid-January. If Jeb deserves heat for not using his fundraising windfall to build up his numbers, why doesn’t Trump deserve heat for not using his media windfall to do the same? Where would Ted Cruz be today if the media gave him as much airtime as it gives Trump?

Comments

Rose on January 25, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Good Grief…why?

Mimzey on January 25, 2016 at 5:16 PM

She has the emotional maturity of a high school girl, she has SJW tendencies, and she’s not very honest… Anyone who fails to see these truths about her isn’t very aware.

Anti-ControI on January 25, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Can you elaborate with examples for context aaand…who are you using as an objective standard for comparison?

Mimzey on January 25, 2016 at 5:19 PM

OT/ What the F?? Grand jury indicts makers of PP videos.
HT Twitchy.

Mimzey on January 25, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Ask yourself this question…”Why has every so called conservative who has had the support of tea party conservatives and pacs turned out to be shitscum mod. or liberal”? Ans., they are all liars!!!!!!!!! Any candidate running for office, other than Jeff Sessions, who claims to be a conservative is a fkg liar! So, let’s all face the facts. We are not going to elect a conservative to any office. They do not exist. So, elect the candidate you think will be the least corrupt, because they are all corrupt to the core. Corruption is the one core value they all posess. Some have more of it than others. The longer they have been in politics, the more corrupt they are. The more they are owned by special interests the more corrupt they are.

they lie on January 25, 2016 at 4:32 PM

What you’re saying is you are a sell out with no conservative values, zero principles, you do not stand for anything, you accept being lied to for those reasons you support Trump and would feel better if we were all Trump Chumps like you are. Interesting strategy. With an argument like that I think you’ve got me convinced.
Aren’t you the guy who likes Donald because he’s in your face with big balz?

Buttercup on January 25, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Flimzey on January 25, 2016 at 5:19 PM

What makes you think I care about indulging a lying, uneducable troll like you?

Do you not realize that I’ve concluded you’re mentally ill, like the other anti-Trumpers? Well, you can’t honestly say you aren’t aware anymore!

Damn, you’re dense, hopelessly! LOL :D

Anti-ControI on January 25, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Director of Graphic Blandishment and aspiring artist on the side. I enjoy bicycle riding to cool destinations. MAKE the world a better place. LOVE life, always.

Joseph K on January 25, 2016 at 2:52 PM

Serious question. What is the context of that^. I missed any reference to it up thread and don’t want to read all the posts.

Mimzey on January 25, 2016 at 2:59 PM

That’s his eharmony profile.

Buttercup on January 25, 2016 at 6:01 PM

I truly hope Trump boycotts. Between rumors from “DC Whispers” and what Megyn’s hubby is supposedly telling the media, Kelly plans on — metaphorically — assassinating Trump on live tv.

Whatever crap Megyn is planning to pull out of her a$$ for this, Trump can respond to it in his own way, a way of his choosing, not hers. He has the media at his beck and call. He’ll get his defense out no problem. He does not need to be there.

He loves debating and wins every single one, so it cannot be said that he’s “scared”. He just told Wolf how much he loves it. But, Fox does not deserve the ratings Trump brings if they are stupid enough to keep Megyn.

Here’s an American Thinker piece on the subject:

Aslans Girl on January 25, 2016 at 6:19 PM

I hope he does it. I’ll go with him and Fox can go F itself.

blackgriffin on January 25, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Flimzey on January 25, 2016 at 5:19 PM

What makes you think I care about indulging a lying, uneducable troll like you?

Damn, you’re dense, hopelessly! LOL :D

Anti-ControI on January 25, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Not to butt into this very informative and intelligent conversation but I just had to chuckle at this particular post: A simple question followed by an uncontrolled, demeaning rant directed at the questioner rather than a simple answer to the question.That’s very “Trumpain” of you, Anti-Control. And since it defines you to a tee, you’ve picked your moniker well!

Rod on January 25, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Rod on January 25, 2016 at 6:27 PM

LOL.

Sad, isn’t it?

portlandon on January 25, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Hopefully Trump listens to his minions and fawners and doesn’t do the debate. Be interesting to see how well that turns out for him. But, he is too smart for that.

Neitherleftorright on January 25, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Buttercup on January 25, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Are you being paid to be nasty? must be alot.

MrMoe on January 25, 2016 at 7:34 PM

With an argument like that I think you’ve got me convinced.

Buttercup on January 25, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Even though you missed the point by a mile or more, I’m glad you are now a Trump supporter. Welcome aboard. Just don’t get smashed by Trump’s YUGE BALZ!

they lie on January 25, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Buttercup on January 25, 2016 at 5:29 PM

actually I meant this .. but they all work

MrMoe on January 25, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Rod on January 25, 2016 at 6:27 PM

How is your reasoning here any different than fluffers of Chommie? (I know you won’t give an intellectual response, so I’m already laughing! :D)

You’re an attention-seeking narcissist who’s as stupid and unengaging as Flimzey, you liar… I don’t indulge people on high horses with sh!tty listening skills who have entitlement mentalities, get it? LOL :D

LOL.

Sad, isn’t it?

portlandon on January 25, 2016 at 6:37 PM

“Sad” for whom exactly – surely not someone like me, who’s been experiencing a schadenfreude overdose over all of the whining of hypocritical anti-Trumpers and fair-weather Palinistas… I’m not the one stuck in circle jerk with anyone, like you weasels are.

Why I am shocked that Palin endorses Trump.

Either Trump has done a complete 180 degree turn from his past, or Palin has.

portlandon on January 19, 2016 at 5:55 PM

ROFL! :DDD

I will never stop laughing at delusional, selfish idiots like you who care for me like Choomie, the Weeper, the Turtle, and lyin’ Ryan do. :)

Anti-ControI on January 25, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Trump should hold a values forum with candidates who would have been cut from the FOX debate stage: Huckabee, Santorum, Fiorina, Paul and invite Carson, too, because he’d be sympathetic and could talk more about what he’s comfortable with. Put it on MSNBC, which has been VERY favorable to Trump. Joe Scarborough’s brother George endorsed and introduced Trump at his Pensacola rally.

ezspirit on January 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM

In fact, we know with that Vanity Fair cover, Kelly’s going to milk this moment for everything she can. Don’t let the night become about Trump v the moderators. Make it about what Iowa voters want to hear. They would live to see Trump stick it to the establishment right before their primary, ensuring massive media coverage.

ezspirit on January 25, 2016 at 8:16 PM

He can handle Putin, Assad and all the other dictators around the world…handle Hillary or any other dem…but he can’t handle Megyn, one gal he is afraid of?

He is such a joke…such a wimp.

Hasn’t he threatened every debate, and then given in…some negotiator, makes a threat than backs down.

right2bright on January 25, 2016 at 8:25 PM

This is great stuff Anti-Control! It’s exactly what I expected so thanks for not letting me down. You’re priceless!

Suggestion – if you ever get tired of your name “Anti-Control” you might want to consider “Mr. Ironic”.

Oh, one small thing: It’s sh!tty “reading” skills. You know … since we’re “reading” – I have sh!tty “reading”skills? Although, come to think of it, I bet you’re screaming at your monitor while banging away on your poor battered keyboard, aren’t you? Makes sense. And that would explain it so never mind.

Keep on doing what you do best Anti-Control – providing an outstanding example of a true, hard-core Trump supporter.

Question: Isn’t “Anti-Control” also the brand name of an anti-diarrhea medication?? Just wondering.

Rod on January 25, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Rod on January 25, 2016 at 8:46 PM

You’re still a liar and pompous buffoon… Why do you time your time further proving it – obsessed much with trying to establish your “superiority” over me? LOL D

I have even less respect for an attention wh0re like you than you do for me – think I’m lying? :D

Anti-ControI on January 25, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Why do you time spend your time

Anti-ControI on January 25, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Anti-ControI on January 25, 2016 at 8:51 PM

I simply pointed out that rather than provide the examples you were asked for you attacked the person who asked the question.

To recap:

Question: “Please provide examples and a comparison.”
You’re answer: “You’re an uneducated, mentally ill, dense lying troll!!”

You gotta admit that’s a pretty amazing response for someone who goes by the name of “Anti-Control”.

Another quick question: You’ve called me a liar. Setting aside all my other awful character traits this one stands out – I’m a liar. What is it I’m lying about?

Lastly, as for my obsession with establishing my “superiority” over you … good question. I promise I’ll consider it. Have you asked yourself that – especially since it seems, at least in this short back-and-forth, that your preferred method of persuasion is simply insulting people and calling them names?

Rod on January 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM

If Trump won’t go on Fox, if Megyn Kelly is a debate moderator, let him stay home. I’m sure the other candidates would love to have some extra time explaining their views.

bflat879 on January 25, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Rod on January 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Your post @8:46 looks like it was written by a demented junior high school kid, which you’d admit if you were honest.

You don’t think you’re an overly aggressive nor grossly immature person, do you? Here’s the deal: I do, and because of your mental problems, you want me to ignore what I see and give you my attention respect, of which I absolutely believe you are undeserving, like how I view trolls and leftards.

Like Flimzey, I’m not interested in indulging you. Also like Flimzey, the fact that my justifiable disrespect for you isn’t sinking in is one of the main reason I can’t take you seriously – you’re an a$$hole, which your continuing smugness and insults bear out. :D

Troll for your attention elsewhere, idiot. LOL :D

Anti-ControI on January 25, 2016 at 10:19 PM

give you my attention and respect

Anti-ControI on January 25, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Buttercup on January 25, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Are you being paid to be nasty? must be alot.

MrMoe on January 25, 2016

Oh I’m sorry I didn’t realize Trump and the Chumps had a lock on nasty. My bad I’ll stay in my lane.
Did you happen to notice the Chump I was retorting to threw around the terms: bimbo, whore, shitscum and fkg liar all on this very page but I’m nasty?
ok Chump, whatever you say Chump.

Buttercup on January 25, 2016 at 10:53 PM

Trump should challenge Sanders to a debate on CNN in direct competition to the GOP debate.

PatJDooley on January 25, 2016 at 11:29 PM

give you my attention and respect

Anti-ControI on January 25, 2016 at 10:20 PM

You’re asked a question by Flimzey. You ignore it and trash them.

I point this out. You don’t refute it but trash me.

portlander points out the sadness of it all. You trash them

I ask why I’m a liar. You ignore the question and continue to trash me.

There is one thing I’m going to have agree with you on: I’m dense because I’m sensing a pattern here: I point out that you’re apparently incapable of offering anything more than simple-minded, childish name-calling and ridicule which you then continue to prove over and over and over again.

As I said earlier, you really should consider changing your name to “Mr. Ironic”. I mean it! It’s perfect.

One last question: (talk about a glutton for punishment) Do you really think I care whether I have your attention and respect – or give a rats ass about your insults, your comments, or anything else you bang out on your tired keyboard? If you do, then portlander is profoundly correct – you truly are a very sad case.

And on that note, I’m going to bed. I’ve a very important test in homeroom tomorrow. Feel free to continue without me. Practice makes perfect!

Rod on January 26, 2016 at 12:25 AM

Rod on January 26, 2016 at 12:25 AM

Adult discourse is very, very clearly above your psychological capabilities… I was already done with you, as I exposed you to my satisfaction. :)

Take the last word if you want – you have nothing of interest to say to me, you narcissistic liar! ROFL! :D

Anti-ControI on January 26, 2016 at 12:43 AM

Also, it’s not at all “conservative” to whine and feel victimized.

Schadenfreude on January 25, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Ah, so you’re getting tired of Trump’s whining also.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 26, 2016 at 1:05 AM

What I don’t get is how these BushwoodConservatives think that by attacking Conservatives who support Trump is good for the party? There are only 10% of Cruz supporters in the GOP. There are 40% Trump supporters in the GOP. You think that a BushwoodConservative with only 10% support that insults the base is going to bring in voters for November? It’s 2012 all over again!

Brock Robamney on January 26, 2016 at 5:36 AM

Oh yeah…I forgot the bimbo career. She could do *ahem* movies. Eventually she’ll do an Oil of Olay commercial and that’ll be the end of it.

fossten on January 25, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Then she could be on Howard Stern’s show more often as a regular, maybe get some awards at the Adult Video Association’s version of the Oscars.

meerbock on January 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM

And I don’t even own any brown shirts.

fossten on January 25, 2016 at 1:46 PM

Brown coats, on the other hand …

meerbock on January 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM

New York values. Cry foul and cry when you don’t get your way.

Krupnikas on January 26, 2016 at 8:58 PM