Do we need to talk about how bad that “X-Files” premiere was last night?

posted at 8:01 pm on January 25, 2016 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, a thread for those who are sticking around for episode two tonight. Which, I should add, I am. Word on the street is that the second and third hours are better than the first.

But that bar is low. The only debate today is whether the first hour was, as Sonny Bunch insists, so bad it’s good or, as I maintain, so bad it’s … really, really bad.

[L]iterally within minutes of episode run time—this guy shows Mulder more stuff than he learned during ten years on the show. He sees an alien replica ship powered by a free, unlimited source of energy (electromagnetic waves, man!) that can float and literally disappear in the blink of an eye and realizes that his whole life has been a sham. Everything we’ve seen in the previous episodes has been a lie. Aliens weren’t fighting to take over the Earth, man! They were coming to save us and their technology was stolen by the military-industrial complex so, like, the oil companies wouldn’t lose out on their profits…

It’s hard to explain how truly silly the episode is, but thinking about one little snippet might help: About three-quarters of the way through the episode, Mulder provides the voice over for a montage of familiar images explaining how all the dots connect and in this footage we see George W. Bush appear several times—”mission accomplished” and all that—while being told that we’ve been put in a state of constant warfare and fattened up by the corporations to keep from rebelling against the militarized police in our streets…

It’s after this montage that we finally understand series creator Chris Carter’s reason for returning to this well: he has the longest-running case of Bush Derangement Syndrome on record. Fox Mulder isn’t a FBI agent or an ET-hunter at this point in his life. He’s a Daily Kos commenter. He’s a Reddit thread made flesh.

The opening scenes felt as if Carter had one or two full episodes’ worth of material ready to go and Fox told him to cut it down to, say, eight minutes. There’s no backstory (yet?) on what Mulder and Scully have been up to these many years. There’s no apparent reason why Mulder and Scully, neither of whom work for the FBI now, are so willing to meet with an Alex-Jones-ish loon to talk UFOs. (There’s also no apparent reason why Carter would cast an affable comedian like Joel McHale in the serious, vaguely sinister role of the Jones figure.) As Bunch says, within what felt like five minutes of the opening credits, Mulder is face to face with the most astounding hidden treasures of the government’s grand alien cover-up, a bizarre paydirt moment for a show that succeeded by leading him on an endless goose chase. And then most of the rest of the hour is devoted to wheels-within-wheels claptrap: Turns out the conspiracy to suppress evidence of alien visitations is actually a conspiracy to promote the idea of alien visitations as a smokescreen for more mundane conspiracies, like invading Iraq and the NSA reading your e-mail. At least I think that’s what it was; having watched this trainwreck sober, I can’t be sure. It’s also painfully obvious, even with just one episode in the bank, that McHale’s character will turn out to be part of the conspiracy himself, some sort of double agent tasked by the government to lead Mulder down the wrong trail and away from the Actual Truth, which, I assume is that there really is a conspiracy to suppress evidence of aliens.

But that doesn’t capture how campy it was. Mulder, who used to look and sound perpetually half-asleep, seemed genuinely stoned this time, never more so than when he was dropping his Unified Truthbomb Theory on Scully about how the aliens and the military-industrial complex and war are all connected, man. The unlikely casting of McHale, whom I know mainly from his many years of introducing especially dopey Kardashians clips on “The Soup,” made the Alex Jones figure seem more ridiculous than he needed to be. The gratuitous Bush references felt so dated, and so seemingly obligatory for a pre-Obama pop-culture fixture, that they operated almost as self-parody. There was even a requisite “disillusioned cop angrily confronts his father-figure sarge” scene between Mulder and Skinner. Either Bunch is right and Carter meant all of this sincerely, which means he’s tone-deaf to how laughable it turned out, or the campiness is evidence that Carter is winking at the conventions of his own show, which means true blue “X-Files” fans who are excited for a new chapter will actually be getting a sort of satire of the original, like “The Brady Bunch Movie.” Bad news either way if all you were looking for was some vintage X-F good times. Maybe tonight?

Comments

It was an orgy of Alex Jones and Liberal nonsense.

AYNBLAND on January 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Was it as bad as the Arizona Cardinals last night?

rbj on January 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM

It was an orgy of Alex Jones and Liberal nonsense.

AYNBLAND on January 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Don’t worry: “The Trump is out there!”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on January 25, 2016 at 8:07 PM

There was an X-Files premiere?

Are you sure you just haven’t gotten older and are seeing it realistically for the first time?

I know I felt that way about Star Trek the Animated Series. :)

Sorry – to me it was nothing more than a retelling of the much better series – Kolchak the Night Stalker.

Skywise on January 25, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Yeah, I was disappointed as well but I’m holding out hope it gets past the liberal bullcrap and moves on to some XF awesomeness.

The X-Files has potential, man. Here’s to hoping it gets better. I want to believe..that it will.

HotAirian on January 25, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Do we need to talk about how bad that “X-Files” premiere was last night?

TheMadHessian on January 25, 2016 at 8:14 PM

I’m guessing Vince Gilligan isn’t involved? Bummer …

ShainS on January 25, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Do we need to talk about how bad that “X-Files” premiere was last night?

Yes, because the 2nd episode’s on right now.

Stoic Patriot on January 25, 2016 at 8:18 PM

HotAirian on January 25, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Don’t count on it. We’ve already gotten the obligatory gay guy.

Stoic Patriot on January 25, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Did we even need a new X-Files series? It was not only pretty freaking bad, it “inspired” an entire set of series like Fringe, Threshold, etc., that were even worse. To me, the only really good things about it were Gillian Anderson and Annabeth Gish.

The best comment on the original X-Files was made by a Navy SEAL CPO of my acquaintance. I asked him once back when it was on if he ever watched it. His response?

“Hell, yes, I have my wife tape it for me when I’m out of the country. It’s the funniest g-d-damned show on TV.

“Those idiots don’t have one f**king clue what’s really going on”.

Close. Quote.

clear ether

eon

eon on January 25, 2016 at 8:21 PM

…and now another Edward Snowden reference after the brief depiction yesterday.

Stoic Patriot on January 25, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Why not? It’s not like we have Rick and Darhl to kick around for a while.

cozmo on January 25, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Uh-oh. Dr. Goldman is a true champion of the unborn. I sense a villain on the horizon.

Stoic Patriot on January 25, 2016 at 8:23 PM

I only saw the first ten minutes, and this is what I got out of it:

“Damn 2nd Amendment fanatics”

listens2glenn on January 25, 2016 at 8:25 PM

“Those idiots don’t have one f**king clue what’s really going on”.

Close. Quote.

clear ether

eon
eon on January 25, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Hmmm . . . . . . . . . I’m trying to figure out if if I should chuckle at that, or feel “unsettled.”

listens2glenn on January 25, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Last scene made up for it. YMMV.

Christien on January 25, 2016 at 8:32 PM

OT:Thread coming for the Hillary Reclamation Townhall?

BuckeyeSam on January 25, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Never watched it the first time around.

Still waiting for TWD grumble thread when you declare Daryl will die this season…

ladyingray on January 25, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Cannot believe people watch this crap

rik on January 25, 2016 at 8:36 PM

I came to this thread to chew gum and discuss gingers, and I’m all out of gum.

connertown on January 25, 2016 at 8:39 PM

I would have appreciated having a chance to actually see the entire episode, even though the first half ticked me off.

The TiVo recorded a full hour, but I didn’t realize I needed to add an extra 35 minutes so that the end of the football game could run 4 minutes late and a huge amount of talking heads could endless promise the X Files would start soon as they went on blathering about the game.

Oh, and the ads….endless darned commercials including at least one for the (…wait for it….) the upcoming X-Files program!

Jill1066 on January 25, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Didn’t watch it, but I didn’t know it was on either. I enjoyed the X files when it was running, but now when I see repeats I change the channel. It’s just not as interesting anymore.

Glad I know now not to bother watching it’s reboot.

Andy__B on January 25, 2016 at 8:41 PM

connertown on January 25, 2016 at 8:39 PM

I’m all out of gingers. Wanna’ make a deal?

cozmo on January 25, 2016 at 8:42 PM

eon

eon on January 25, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Nice one, eon

Lord Whorfin on January 25, 2016 at 8:43 PM

We’ve already gotten the obligatory gay guy.

Stoic Patriot on January 25, 2016

I hope it is not Walter Skinner.

esr1951 on January 25, 2016 at 8:43 PM

If you like sequels, remakes, and adaptations…

Disney Seeking Rich Deal For TV Rights to ‘Star Wars’ Movies

…or this…

‘Blade Runner’ Sequel: Sony Takes International Rights

thatsafactjack on January 25, 2016 at 8:44 PM

There’s no certain kind of person that watches X-Files. Its viewership is a really broad demographic.

But is there a certain kind of person that doesn’t watch it? I’m one of those.

Lolo on January 25, 2016 at 8:44 PM

I’ll have to plug my cable back in to watch….oh wait, I permanently cut the cable two years ago.

Mr. Arrogant on January 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM

So, does that mean that Obola is also in on the conspiracy? Since he’s not pushing free zero point energy, but stupid wind and solar, he must be…

Epic fail. I’ll wait for the Wiki summary.

deadite on January 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Cannot believe people watch this crap

rik on January 25, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Better than watching another shitty “debate”.

BallisticBob on January 25, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Also…

Watergate Event Series in Development at ABC

Apparently ABC believes there’s still a little more mileage left in Watergate, or they’d like to rewrite history for the elucidation of millennials.

thatsafactjack on January 25, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Better than watching another shitty “debate”.

BallisticBob on January 25, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Can’t believe I agree with you, but I do

rik on January 25, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Gonna watch a the first two episodes of “the crimson petal and the white’ Amanda Hale might give the greatest performance of all time

rik on January 25, 2016 at 8:51 PM

X-Files is one of my all time favorite TV shows. I still watch quite a few of the older episodes, but I pretend that the last two seasons never existed (the show jumped the shark after season 7 so I treat those episodes sort of like I pretend Star Wars I-III and the last Indy movie were never made). I’ve always been a fan of the bizarre/funny paranormal episodes rather than the shows myth arc. I’m thinking about punting on the 6 episode revival. No use of ruining the nostalgia I have for the show.

I seriously think Hollywood lost it’s collective sh!t when AlGore lost in 2000. Network TV has never recovered. A lot of shows I liked just became unwatchable after Bush won. Just watch The Simpsons pre-2001 and post-2001 and you can see almost see the exact moment Hollywood was crushed by those hanging chads.

ReaganWasRight on January 25, 2016 at 8:52 PM

X-Files is one of my all time favorite TV shows.

ReaganWasRight on January 25, 2016 at 8:52 PM

So that explains you.

cozmo on January 25, 2016 at 8:56 PM

So that explains you.

cozmo on January 25, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Heh.

ReaganWasRight on January 25, 2016 at 8:58 PM

ReaganWasRight on January 25, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Could be worse.

You could be one of the teenybobber doe eyed chicks who swoon over Rick Grimes here every Monday.

cozmo on January 25, 2016 at 9:02 PM

ReaganWasRight on January 25, 2016 at 8:52 PM

You may be right. Hollywood certainly became more preachy and in-your-face with the leftist ideology after the 2000 election.

esr1951 on January 25, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Episode One is titled “My Struggle”. Haven’t seen it yet. If AP can’t even note and comment on that reference, I’ll ignore his review.

Joseph K on January 25, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Do we need to talk about how bad that “X-Files” premiere was last night?

The obvious answer is

“No”.

oldleprechaun on January 25, 2016 at 9:07 PM

After nine season of the original series, the only reasonable conclusion was that the show was really about 300 million Americans trying to fool two FBI agents.

halfbaked on January 25, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Is it April yet?

MichaelGabriel on January 25, 2016 at 9:08 PM

I thought it was aok. Remember this episode had to lay a lot of groundwork like a pilot episode.

I do think it’s kind of incredible that most of the alien stuff from prior was a government scam.

seeing the cigarette smoking man again was great.

Using the original opening credits seem odd though.

And Gillian Anderson has obviously had a lot of cosmetic surgery. she looked odd to me.

gerrym51 on January 25, 2016 at 9:09 PM

I noticed the possible reference to Mein Kampf too, but what was Chris Carter trying to say with that title? If that is what he meant.

esr1951 on January 25, 2016 at 9:10 PM

We have spent a trillion dollars, lost a dozen or so lives, wasted fifty years building chemical fueled rockets to reach the Moon, Earth orbit and the planets in this system, while all the time the government had an alien Star Craft of limitless power in a hanger in Nevada.
Shazaam!!!
There may have been a time when I was 12 or so that this made sense to me but after a lifetime of observing my fellow man I can only shake my head in wonder at the fathomless gullibility of people.
The “Truth”, I can state with certainty, is still “Out There”
because it damn sure isn’t on TV.

thelastminstrel on January 25, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Pitchforker on January 25, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Pitchforker on January 25, 2016 at 9:15 PM

The “Truth”, I can state with certainty, is still “Out There”
because it damn sure isn’t on TV.

thelastminstrel on January 25, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Think again Luddite.

cozmo on January 25, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Tonight’s show was better than last night. The premiere was too rushed in its setup and revealed too much. The slow unraveling that always raised more questions than it answered was key to the original series. With the six episode series, there is no time for the dropped clues, red herrings and ambiguities that made the x-files fun. The lefty posturing was annoying, but I enjoyed seeing Scully and Mulder together again.

polly2150 on January 25, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Since Art Bell has retired (again), they had to come up with a new UFO kook, someone with a snappy personality. Unfortunately for Jones, he fit the bill. I say unfortunately, because while the blowhardtorch in Austin has several “unusual” views, he seldom to never discusses paranormal BS. His good buddy George Snorry does,often, but as the name implies, his personality is not quite as vibrant as what they were seeking.

Fortyback on January 25, 2016 at 9:27 PM

gerrym51 on January 25, 2016 at 9:09 PM

I would go further, and say that it is downright disquieting to look at her overly-tightened skin. Think Nanzi Pelosi with an FBI badge and gun.

That said, the best of the old X-Files were (IMHO) the oddball episodes that had nothing to do with the government-alien conspiracy, which just gets preachy and boring in a hurry. I hope that they manage to fit at least one or two of the non-conspiracy episodes into this new season.

bofh on January 25, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Oh, and has Gillian Anderson ever apologized for appearing in that egregious PSA where they were fantasizing about killing the Global Warming deniers with explosives?

Fortyback on January 25, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Kolchak the Night Stalker.

Skywise on January 25, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Man, now that brings back some memories of being scared to death on, what was it, Friday nights?, with werewolves, and vampires and giant alligators in sewer systems and … all while the indefatigable reporter Kolchak did the investigating.

Ruckus_Tom on January 25, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Kolchak the Night Stalker.

Skywise on January 25, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Ruckus_Tom on January 25, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Some of the episodes hold up. Many don’t. Though still almost equal to The Twilight Zone and Night Gallery.

cozmo on January 25, 2016 at 9:40 PM

So the Smoking Man not only capped JFK from the Dallas storm sewer, but he’s still sucking down heaters through his tracheotomy pipe.

Dude!

Bruno Strozek on January 25, 2016 at 9:45 PM

I hope it is not Walter Skinner.

esr1951

Poor guy is still an assistant director, lol.

xblade on January 25, 2016 at 9:56 PM

It was bad like the new Star Wars was bad. Old actors who clearly have lost the chemistry doing a bunch of stupid **** that doesn’t make any sense in the larger context of the story.

The Obama administration has actually covered up a number of illegal operations and they are showing (blaming) Bush.

How many other cool things will the liberals ruin this year?

WisCon on January 25, 2016 at 10:01 PM

gerrym51 on January 25, 2016 at 9:09 PM

bofh on January 25, 2016 at 9:36 PM

It’s the same with celebrities as with shows, you can’t go back again. It’s better to just enjoy the best eps of the old series on DVD/Bluray/Netflix.

whatcat on January 25, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Did they all forget how to act since the old series ended? I had trouble following the story because of all the hammy acting punctuated by $.25 words used in lieu of actual drama.

It seemed like they would burp out some over-dramatic unnecessary word when a normal one with a little talent behind it would have done nicely. I happen to know that that guy who played the “conservative” conspiracy theorist is a pretty good actor. This leads me to believe that either
A: it’s a director problem.
B: they’re all just phoning it in for a paycheck.

I suppose there’s another option. The first episode in many tv series often has poor acting because people are still getting used to the script and the other actors. We usually don’t notice this until we re-watch the early episodes and realize how far they’ve come. I hope this is the case because that one was a real stinker.

And why does Scully have such a long face?

rihar on January 25, 2016 at 10:03 PM

I’m guessing Vince Gilligan isn’t involved? Bummer …

ShainS on January 25, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Busy with Better Call Saul.
But, he said in an interview that he would like to work on the show again if they do more episodes.

LoganSix on January 25, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Dude, that first episode was truly terrible. Must have been a big payday for Duchovney and Anderson, who’ve had some success of late escaping the type-casting of these characters. Goes to show you that, sometimes, you can’t go back. Like, you know …

Mayberry RFD
Rescue from Gilligan’s Island
Galactica 1980
Lost in Space (the Movie)
Land of the Lost (the Movie)
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

ZonToro on January 25, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Well, last night’s premiere was pretty disappointing, but I must say that tonight’s episode was much worse.

justltl on January 25, 2016 at 10:17 PM

I was a huge fan of the original series back in the day. As with most reboots of old shows, my expectations were pretty low to begin with. But not as low as this two-part premier sunk. It was absolutely awful…for all the reasons AP listed, and then some.

If I had to give it a rating… 2.5 out of 5 stars.

I’ll give it another couple of episodes to redeem itself, before I bug out of it altogether.

JetBoy on January 25, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Jill1066 on January 25, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Shocking, you must be the only person this ever happened to on a Sunday night

You do realize Fox has all their shows streaming on demand, like most channels now?

A cursory google search would have revealed the ultra secret way to watch the second half of the episode that thousands of other people managed to find after their DVRs cut off

This happens almost every single Sunday night after NFL games, just set your DVR to record an extra hour if there’s a show you actually want to watch

And yes, the leftist BS was so insultingly thick– it’s amazing how pathetic still suffering from Bush Derangement Syndrome can look after 7 years of Obama hell

Trump Derangement Syndrome is going to be an epic 8 years of popcorn popping joy

thurman on January 25, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Hey don’t forget Bill O’Reilly! They lumped him in with the conspiracy to take over the world, along with Big Oil and W and all the other lefty bad guys.

So disappointing. Much, much worse than the Armageddon one he wrote for Netflix where everyone just said “Fu**” for an hour. And why can’t Fox Mulder have something going on more than depression? Such a cliche.

I will watch tonight but that’s it. It’s not me, it’s you, Chris.

PattyJ on January 25, 2016 at 10:39 PM

Here’s an x-files pallate cleanser I made a few years ago just for moments like these:

johnnyboy on January 25, 2016 at 11:08 PM

After reading other’s comments, I’m glad I’m not alone (think Mulder) in thinking this was a total waste of 60 minutes watching a leftwing wet dream.

This may sound crazy,but I do believe that Bernie Sanders was hatched out in Area 51 by crossing alien DNA and scorpion turds, the truth is out there!

Child In Time on January 26, 2016 at 12:58 AM

What’s up with that Roswell saucer made entirely of rebar reinforced solid concrete?

liberty0 on January 26, 2016 at 1:47 AM

The X-Files repeats itself, first as tragicomedy, then as farce.

JackOfClubs on January 26, 2016 at 3:58 AM

After nine seasons of the original series, the only reasonable conclusion was that the show was really about 300 million Americans trying to fool two FBI agents.

halfbaked on January 25, 2016 at 9:07 PM

How hard can that be? One crazy crooked Democrat has had them on the run for the last couple of years, and she’s a known space alien.

Many of these remakes don’t fair well. The 24 reprise was poor as well, despite the hype. It suffered from truly awful writing.

I wonder if this X-files was rushed to get The Dogma out during the peak of the election warm-up? Both Anderson and Duchovny are full-on left-wing loons…

Skip2014 on January 26, 2016 at 6:18 AM

I had my DVR set and the damn football game went over by 10 minutes. I figured I wouldn’t have the entire thing recorded so we watched it ONDEMAND. Did they shorten the commercials in the live broadcast to fit it into the scheduled hours?

DanielObrien42 on January 26, 2016 at 8:32 AM

Lucifer was better.

trigon on January 26, 2016 at 9:27 AM

A: it’s a director problem.
B: they’re all just phoning it in for a paycheck.

And why does Scully have such a long face?

rihar on January 25, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Well, you pretty much said everything I was going to say. Beyond all the leftist agenda garbage, the acting was a fricking joke. I swear there was a conversation between Fox and Sculley that sounded like they were literally reading straight off the paper, not even to each other, with no hint of emotion or acting ability. It was all disappointing.

Vigilante on January 26, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Vigilante on January 26, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Agreed. I thought for a few moments that Mulder and Scully were saying all that for the benefit of someone eavesdropping.

When I realized it was actual “acting” it was disappointing.

It seemed more like a run-through of the scene. What director could say “Cut! Print!” after that.

Droopy on January 26, 2016 at 9:49 AM

And remember, everyone, the networks (not necessarily Fox) are bailing on shows like Person of Interest, The Good Guys, and Resurrection, and giving you… this.

The Schaef on January 26, 2016 at 10:03 AM

johnnyboy on January 25, 2016 at 11:08 PM

THAT was funny!!

Free Indeed on January 26, 2016 at 10:25 AM

johnnyboy on January 25, 2016 at 11:08 PM

That reminded me of a similar vid of LOST clips…”What?”

JetBoy on January 26, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Just watched it last night via On Demand – it sucked.
I think they managed to tie in EVERY conspiracy theory that has ever existed.
The original X Files was interesting – this one was Alex Jones off the deep-end on paranoia steroids.

dentarthurdent on January 26, 2016 at 11:23 AM

I thought it was going to be bad, but it was hilarious.

It’s hard to see how they could have not meant it to be black comedy.

fadetogray on January 26, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Well, I enjoyed the premier quite a bit.

TKindred on January 26, 2016 at 4:01 PM