Ben Carson was “horrified” by his own campaign’s rap radio ad

posted at 2:41 pm on January 25, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

Not too long ago we heard about the significant campaign staffing shake-up (which is a nicer way of describing a lot of people heading out the door) at Ben Carson HQ. That was during the same period when the retired neurosurgeon was beginning of his rather rapid slide from the top of the polls to the ranks of the second tier in or near single digits. I’m sure there were any number of factors involved in that transition, but one of them might have been spurred – at least in part – by an item which Time Magazine dug up this week. There was a radio advertisement for Carson which hit the airwaves in November built on top of some rap music which was, er… interesting to say the least. In case you missed it, here’s the musical delight in all its glory.

To say that it’s somewhat far afield from Carson’s normal style is putting it mildly, but we now find out that Carson claims he didn’t even approve it and was, in fact, horrified by the ad when he heard it. (Time)

Ben Carson blamed his staff for the notorious rap radio advertisement that was released last year, saying he was “horrified” by the ad and that his campaign is much better run since a staff shakeup around New Year’s.

“I did not approve that, and when it came out I said, why did you put that out? What are you thinking?” Carson told a crowd at Drake University, in Des Moines, Iowa, gathered for BET’s #AllVotesMatter Twitter Town Hall. “I was horrified.”

Carson told the crowd that the advertisement was released without his knowledge.

“It was done by people who have no concept of the black community and what they were doing,” Carson told the audience at Drake University. When asked why he didn’t stop the advertisement, Carson said, “I should have but they stuck it out without me knowing.”

Horrifying beat box mix tapes aside, Carson’s claims raise a couple of questions here. First, who was running things at his campaign back then? Trust me… I’ve worked some campaigns and I understand that the bigger they are, the more things have to be farmed out to staff and surrogates on a regular basis, but advertising efforts are traditionally reviewed and approved by the boss before they go out. He may not be in on selecting the ad agency or even batting around the general themes, but the finished product should get a thumbs up from the candidate himself before it hits the airwaves. If you’re shopping that responsibility out then you pretty much deserve what you get.

But even more to the point, each and every presidential campaign ad (along with almost all of them downstream) ends with a statement saying that the candidate approves the message. This one was no different and right at the end you hear his voice chiming in, “I’m Ben Carson and I approved this message.” Now, anybody working on the campaign trail knows that you cut those in advance and your media producer will tack it on at the end, but Carson is essentially admitting that his campaign put out fraudulent material here. He didn’t approve that advertisement at all, but the voters who heard it were told that he did. That’s a Bozo No-No.

It’s a horrible advertisement and I don’t blame Carson for recoiling a bit, but he unleashed this trap on himself. You can only farm out so much of your campaign responsibilities before it comes back to bite you in the end.

CarsonFTN

Comments

Ben Carson last longer than Scott Walker or Rick Perry. Who would have guessed. After South Carolina I bet he drops out.

Oil Can on January 25, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Cruz on Trump’s Muslim Ban: ‘That’s Not My Policy’

Garyinaz66

Hey Gary, I’m trying to help you spam. You’ve only got two hands.

portlandon on January 25, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Thanks for the memories, Ben.
We loved your TV show: Ben Carson, M.D.

Galtian on January 25, 2016 at 2:48 PM

I’m not “horrified”, but it is a stupid ad.

whatcat on January 25, 2016 at 2:48 PM

I like Carson’s plan to replace Medicare with Health Savings Accounts.

Carson clarified that it would actually be voluntary. You could keep your govt Medicare plan if you wanted, but most would switch.

anotherJoe on January 25, 2016 at 2:49 PM

Cruz shot himself in the head yesterday, with Beck.

Train wreck to Iowa

Schadenfreude on January 25, 2016 at 2:49 PM

Much better Presidential rap song.

PUMP THE TRUMP (LYRICS)

Donald Trump, it is what it is
You can love him or hate him, but the game is all his
Critics say he’s not presidential
He’s got the skills that we all find essential

Cause man our country’s business is bruised and busted
Our currency’s weak these dudes can’t be trusted
Our allies are mad – enemies locked and loaded
Don’t be mis-informed when it’s your time for voting

Pump the Trump

You may think you know him from TV and pageants
But the game he will bring you can only imagine
He listens to both sides asks questions
He can take this country in the right direction

Hold the borders shut down the illegals
Bust up the terror with the claws of our Eagle
So watch out look out all you non-performers
You about to get trumped with a new reformer

Pump the Trump

This is the time the White House the place
Trump is the man who already won this race
He speaks truth to negotiate
His Business mind gonna clean up the slate

We need a leader who is never scared of a fight
No special interest meetings in the dark of the night
It’s your choice I choose to roll in the light
The right man for the job Donald Trump, alright?

Garyinaz66 on January 25, 2016 at 2:49 PM

obama opened his stupid pie hole.

Schadenfreude on January 25, 2016 at 2:49 PM

Dr. Carson will be the best Surgeon General the US ever had.

Schadenfreude on January 25, 2016 at 2:50 PM

I need to offer my services to the campaigns. So many absolutely stupid things somehow reach the airways or stump speeches. Every time I think, how did anyone think this was a good idea?”

mankai on January 25, 2016 at 2:50 PM

Ben Carson is running for President?

Johnnyreb on January 25, 2016 at 2:51 PM

everdiso on January 25, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Racist.

I guess you prefer Sanders’ rape fantasies he wrote about… as an adult.

mankai on January 25, 2016 at 2:52 PM

mankai on January 25, 2016 at 2:50 PM

Ben’s a good man – not presidential material – but his campaign has been just awful.
But, yeah, all candidates do things that make you wanna smack ’em and say “WTH were you thinking?”.

whatcat on January 25, 2016 at 2:54 PM

Hey Gary, I’m trying to help you spam inform. You’ve only got two hands.
portlandon on January 25, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Fixed it for accuracy, but then you also should have posted this:

Ted Cruz: The Constitution protects birthright citizenship for illegals and it’s a mistake for conservatives to spend time fighting it.

Ted Cruz Joins Glenn Beck for ‘Soccer Balls and Teddy Bears’ Event; Mike Lee Drops Out

Cruz, Ryan urge Senate to pass Fast Track

Ted Cruz- “Legal Status for 11+ Million Illegals, Double Legal Immigration, Raise H1B visas by 500%”

of course we know there is much more on slick teddy, but this is good for now

Garyinaz66 on January 25, 2016 at 2:56 PM

before it comes back to bite you in the end The End.

That was a while ago and it helps no one.

Schadenfreude on January 25, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Don’t you like how the lefie racists, having solved all the Hillary/Sanders problems, congregate around here?

Schadenfreude on January 25, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Carson is ok, a little out of his depth though, I was hoping he would do better

Garyinaz66 on January 25, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Cruz on Trump’s Muslim Ban: ‘That’s Not My Policy’

Garyinaz66

Hey Gary, I’m trying to help you spam. You’ve only got two hands.

portlandon on January 25, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Lol, but that’s not spam.

That’s a critical difference between Cruz on Trump. Cruz wants to keep over 90% of Muslim immigration in place.

And portlandon, you forgot the link: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/cruz-on-trumps-proposed-muslim-ban-no-thats-not-my-policy/article/2577822

anotherJoe on January 25, 2016 at 2:57 PM

Garyinaz66 on January 25, 2016 at 2:49 PM

Trumpbot

Neitherleftorright on January 25, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Hey Gary, I’m trying to help you spam. You’ve only got two hands.

portlandon on January 25, 2016 at 2:46 PM

I’m not a Cruz guy, and I hadn’t noticed. Because it’s you, I’ll take your word for and acknowledge that that’s funny.

BuckeyeSam on January 25, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Reminder: This guy still has Secret Service protection.

NoStoppingUs on January 25, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Well, in his defense, it was actuallythe ventiloquist saying “I’m Ben Carson,and I approve this message. You do realize what that makes Carson.

redware on January 25, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Galtian. Wasnt it “Ben Casey, MD”??? :-D

Indiana Jim on January 25, 2016 at 3:34 PM

carson is running for the nomination?
could have fooled me with a rap song…..

dmacleo on January 25, 2016 at 3:52 PM

I’m not going to say that the rap commercial was a great campaign ad or great music, but it doesn’t strike me as something that Carson should have been horrified by. There was nothing offensive in it.

J.S.K. on January 25, 2016 at 8:04 PM

What a milqtoast stooge.

If Trump uses a heavy-metal ad, I will applaud him.

V-rod on January 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM