Oops: Trump campaign ad highlights veterans … of Russia?

posted at 5:31 pm on January 23, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

This seems to be the kind of mistake that has plagued the Trump campaign of late as it becomes more aggressive in the waning days before primary voters start making their decisions. An earlier ad on border security showed refugees trying to swarm across the border — in Morocco. The Trump campaign explained that away as saying that without Donald Trump as president, the Rio Grande would soon look the same.

This gaffe is a little more difficult to explain away. In the original version of Trump’s Facebook video, pay close attention to the medals on the veterans that Trump pledges to restore to full pride:

Ted Cruz’ campaign was quick to note something amiss:

Josh Perry, a campaign aide for GOP presidential candidate Ted Cruz, tweeted out images of the soldiers’ medals that clearly show prominent Russian symbols like the Communist hammer and sickle.

Since it was first posted, the video has been changed to replace the picture with one of the business mogul greeting a man with prosthetic arms who appears to be a veteran.

The Trump campaign made a similar gaffe in its first television ad focusing on immigration that showed images of Morocco while warning against immigrants coming through “our southern border.”

This isn’t the first political-campaign mistake of its kind, either. In 2012, the Democratic National Convention hailed American veterans with an on-stage presentation that featured pictures of the Navy … the Russian navy, as it turned out. Republicans had a field day with that gaffe, although clearly it made no difference in the end. Incompetence was already baked into the cake, and proof of that was unfortunately right at hand. This gaffe came out the day after the sacking of the consulate in Benghazi, which buried this incompetence in the fallout from a more deadly variety.

Obviously, Donald Trump doesn’t select the images for his ads himself — he hires the people who do. But that’s an issue that goes to the heart of his argument, that he has such super-competence that Trump can succeed where no one else has in the presidency. After all, the boss who popularized “You’re fired!” as a business strategy was making an appearance in the ad; shouldn’t that have been a signal for a high-quality presentation, rather than just a grab bag of Googled images?

Organizational brilliance was the undergirding for both his reality-show career and his political campaign. Missing something as simple as which country issued the medals in a picture of veterans doesn’t exactly cast his organization as super-competent. One gaffe may be an anomaly, two might be a coincidence, but three starts looking like a pattern. Voters might be asking themselves who will wind up running the government and crafting policy, especially since this ad — and other Trump ads and speeches — are so light on actual policy and substance. If Republican opponents don’t attack on this point, you can bet Democrats won’t be nearly as shy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Exactly! Because Trump is just a bystander whenever his campaign ever does anything!

UnstChem on January 23, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Unless it is good. Then it is all him all the way baby! Just like Obama!

Constitutionalist on January 23, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Unless it is good. Then it is all him all the way baby! Just like Obama!

Constitutionalist on January 23, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Like I said, I’m voting for Trump if he’s the nominee.

But to watch hard-core Trump supporters have the same view about his campaign as The-Bystander-In-Chief does about his administration is creepy.

It’s easy to see why so many on the right are frustrated with his supporters.

UnstChem on January 23, 2016 at 7:49 PM

Trump’s attack on Cruz’s reliance on margin loans from Goldman and Citi was very effective in the Pella rally today. . The guy’s working it.

WestportSC on January 23, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Hey, this guy has to BORROW MONEY for his campaign! Trump doesn’t because he’s RICH!

Who else is going to loan people money for a campaign?

Would it be better to get a loan from the Bank of Des Moines?

Nethicus on January 23, 2016 at 6:39 PM

I guess Trump has never borrowed money for business purposes/
Even Trump says he borrowed $1,000,000 from his Dad. Too bad Cruz didn’t have a rich Dad. You make money faster if you borrow for part of your capital. Trump must have taken advantage of this.

Cruz pays his loans back. No bankruptcy.

butch on January 23, 2016 at 6:41 PM

where does he get the money to pay back a million dollar loan, and so quickly? His salary? Not likely.

HugoDrax on January 23, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Cruz takes out personal loan from bank. Loans money to campaign. When Cruz campaign gets donation, it repays loan to Cruz, who then pays back bank. This is done because the campaign has no assets to secure the loan. Cruz does. If Cruz can’t run a good campaign and get donations, he is on the hook and the bank can take his assets.

For instance Hillary loaned her campaigns $13,000,000 which she had to write off-didn’t get enough donations to pay it back. She was able to write off 13M, 8 years after being flat broke. I’m sure there was no funny business going on there, no illegal shift of Clinton Foundation money or anything.

talkingpoints on January 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Oh look, it’s the “End of Trump” take 136,987.

Paperclips on January 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Not that my candidate would make you happy but this season must be driving you nuts.
Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Yes, it’s madness.

My favorite intellectual punching bag was sick of lurking.
Welcome to the brawl, my dear very bitter loser, for the next round.
Schadenfreude on January 23, 2016 at 5:54 PM

Bitter? Nope, not me.

Dear God, you are so merciful, and have the best sense of irony, humor, justice and retribution.
Schadenfreude on January 23, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Thanks for the compliment?

Buy Danish and clan hate him even more than they hate Trump.
Schadenfreude on January 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM

This happens to be a tweet from today. Does this sound like “hate” to you?

Buy Danish on January 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM

I’ll vote for Trump if he’s the nominee but have changed my vote to Cruz.
I’ll be staying off the war threads.

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 7:55 PM

The aggravating thing about the Trump Cruz loan shtick is Trump knows perfectly well this is a smear attack. He’s counting on lack of financial knowledge and understanding on the part of the voters and it’s working. Between the specious loan attack (I’d love to see a list of all the banks Trump/Trump industries have borrowed from) the false birther attack (Cruz status as “natural born citizen” was spelled out in Congressional legislation in 1790) and the tithing attack Trump has pushed Cruz down in the polls. It’s a shame because Cruz would govern much more conservatively if elected.

talkingpoints on January 23, 2016 at 7:59 PM

ROTFLMAO… You have a better chance of getting the #Blacklivesmatter imbeciles to celebrate Robert E. Lee’s birthday peacefully than of getting any Trump Derangement Syndrome suffer to be honest.

oscarwilde on January 23, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Silly me. I’m just a filthy howler monkey Trump supporter.

Heh.

bobthm3 on January 23, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Ed, how about a thread on Glenn Beck’s mental status?

WestportSC on January 23, 2016 at 6:09 PM

…that would be nuts!

JugEarsButtHurt on January 23, 2016 at 8:03 PM

talkingpoints on January 23, 2016 at 7:59 PM

wrt the loans:

1) Cruz brands himself an anti Wall Street crusader
2) Cruz gets loans from Goldman Sachs and Citibank
3) Cruz makes public claims that he liquidated his assets in order to fund his campaign (to my knowledge he hasn’t retracted this, but I’m happy to be brought up to date)
4) Cruz doesn’t disclose these loans on his FEC filing

Chomsky Dance Recital on January 23, 2016 at 8:04 PM

It’s a shame because Cruz would govern much more conservatively if elected.

talkingpoints on January 23, 2016 at 7:59 PM

The key word here is “if elected”. Cruz is so hated by the GOPe and so easily smeared by the Dem media that he has even smaller chance of being elected than Trump. Funny as it may have seemed in July, Trump has the electability on his side.

Rix on January 23, 2016 at 8:05 PM

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 7:55 PM

I’m with you but I don’t know if I’ll stay off the war threads. Depends on what other entertainment is available at any given moment.

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Buy Danish on January 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Was that about Beck?

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:07 PM

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Maybe..but I’ve got a lot of personal pressure right now-not in the mood
to fight.

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Was that about Beck?

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Buy Danish on January 23, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Rix on January 23, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Do you honestly believe that Cruz has more in his life that the media can shred than Trump? They are just laying off of Trump because they want him to be the nominee. Remember these are the people who think the server and classified emails are a minor matter because it is Hillary but Palin was destroyed because she wouldn’t name her publication of choice.

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Buy Danish on January 23, 2016 at 8:09 PM

I totally agree.

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:12 PM

If a reputation didn’t point it out demacrats would have never noticed it.lol

IXXINY on January 23, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Yep, the attacks will be severe and there coming.

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Maybe this was a subliminal attack on Bernie Sanders. Yeah, that’s the ticket. Trump is so much smarter than the rest of us, we just don’t understand his brilliance.

Or so his worthless low-information howlers will claim in the coming days. Just like they found ways to excuse the fact that there is not, in fact, video of thousands of Muslims gathered to celebrate the 9/11/01 atrocities. But the howlers are so stupid that they will find a way to make this “right” by the KHM.

Happy Nomad on January 23, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Rix on January 23, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Yes. Cruz can’t attract the crossover vote like Trump can. He claims there are enough conservatives hiding in the woodwork who will elect him in the general. doubt it. I don’t think there are enough conservatives to elect him.

butch on January 23, 2016 at 8:16 PM

I bet Hillary has a few of those Russian medals in a draw,a reward for allowing access to her server
I never sold secrets,the Russians stole them.Honast

IXXINY on January 23, 2016 at 8:17 PM

Buy Danish on January 23, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Good to see you again. I’m a capella from the old days. Your twitter looks like more fun than this place.

butch on January 23, 2016 at 8:18 PM

O/T — more New York values:

Anyone Using New York City Roads After 2:30pm Will Be Arrested

ShainS on January 23, 2016 at 8:20 PM

butch on January 23, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Good to see you!

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Rix on January 23, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:10 PM

ROTFLMAO… No Cindy, the Media are not laying off Trump because they want him to be the nominee, they are laying off him because Megyn Kelly still has blood coming out of her “wherever” from when Trump punched her.

oscarwilde on January 23, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Malachi45 on January 23, 2016 at 8:26 PM

You are about the 50th person that has posted this.

Why don’t you read upthread?

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:30 PM

I’ve been waiting for a post on this trump video wherein he tells you cultists just how much loyalty you will offer up to his majesty.

Nothing yet.

Malachi45 on January 23, 2016 at 8:30 PM

butch on January 23, 2016 at 8:18 PM

Thanks:) I’m not all that active on twitter but I try to have fun. Why did you change your nom?

Buy Danish on January 23, 2016 at 8:30 PM

oscarwilde on January 23, 2016 at 8:29 PM

They are not afraid of him. No even Kelly.

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Good evening GA girl..even make it down,I’ll by ya a drink. ;)

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 8:32 PM

butch on January 23, 2016 at 8:18 PM

I know you, a capella. ;)

Misha on January 23, 2016 at 8:33 PM

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 7:55 PM

I think I might have to join you.

I don’t mind people giving their opinion, but am sick to death of the half lies people keep posting.

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:34 PM

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 7:55 PM

I think I might have to join you.

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:34 PM

You mean change your nominee?

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 8:35 PM

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Thanks, I do make it down to Fl. a couple of times a year. Tampa area, but I’m such an old coot I would probably bore you to death. :)

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Disagree. Trump has detailed tax, veterans, 2nd amendment, and immigration policies, which have been posted on his website for months now. Trump has led because he is the only one promising to end illegal immigration, stop the trade disaster which is killing the US economy, and to return manufacturing back to the US. Absent these policies, the US will simply disintegrate into a large third world country, destitute of any economic growth, and culturally transformed into a state that is antithetical to the US Constitution. The GOPe obviously believes that Trump means to do exactly as he has promised, given that they are spending millions of dollars for one purpose – to stop Trump.

From what I heard and read of Trump he has a pretty good plan for the economy, but there is nothing detailed about his plans for veterans, the 2nd amendment, and immigration. All he offers are pet phrases (e.g. Build a wall, make Mexico pay for it, great for veterans, etc ). Trump is leading for one of two reasons. The people supporting him are not really conservatives or they are irrational. This guy is basically a Democrat that talks real tough on immigration. As far as money being spent, more money has been spent attacking Rubio than any other candidate, so now let’s see if you are irrational. You just claimed they were spending money on Trump to because he would do what he says, so what does it mean that they are spending more on Rubio?

No, the citizens supporting Trump are not irrational, but acting to save the country from self-destruction, the present course that has been set by both the GOPe and the Dems over the past two decades. All of this has been articulated in detail ad infinitum by commentors on this site. So, yes, Trump’s campaign has been effectively managed, as it is in alignment with a majority of Republican voters who do not want their country destroyed by the GOPe, and the Dems, and their donors, who desire nothing but cheap labor here in the US and abroad. You may call Trump’s supporters any disparaging names you prefer, yet it will accomplish nothing.

One can act irrational in their desire to save the country from self-destruction, the two are not mutually exclusive. Here is another test for your rationality. You claim the present course we are on has been set by GOP and Dem over the past two decades. But don’t you know Trump was in favor of almost every big issue put forth by the Democrats? He was in favor of Obamacare and even more he wanted single-payer. He was in favor of bank bailouts, stimulus, auto bailouts, Imminent Domain, Hilary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Obama. Therefore the man you think can save us from the current situation was a big proponent of it. He was way worse than any GOPer in supporting the current situation. So what does that tell you about Trump?
Oh yeah, and he is not aligned with the majority of Republican voters, he leads the field, but that is with low 30s percent.

RonDelDon on January 23, 2016 at 8:37 PM

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Stay off these threads.

Cruz has always been my favorite, just don’t know if he can win.

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:39 PM

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:37 PM

You underestimate me. I love old coots..they have good stories. :)
I’m on the East coast tho. :(

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 8:39 PM

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Stay off these threads.

Cruz has always been my favorite, just don’t know if he can win.

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:39 PM

I lurk but rarely get involved. I see no point.
Cruz was my #2 but after some soul searching..I’ve charged my mind.
I don’t know if he can win either..but we can give it our best shot.

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Buy Danish on January 23, 2016 at 8:30 PM

My hard drive crashed and Hot Air wouldn’t let me reregister with my old handle. The place has changed a lot. We’ve lost many from the old days. I should probably leave too. I’m not a good fit here.

butch on January 23, 2016 at 8:41 PM

well, QOTD is up. Maybe some sanity.

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:12 PM
Agree with the both of you. I was talking to friends in Iowa who worked with other GOP campaigns. They said much of what Trump is doing is old fashioned mud slinging. The response from from the ground is a flood of new workers to the Cruz caucus ground game. If true, then on caucus night the blow back to Trump could be YUUGE.(Sorry I couldn’t help myself. Stuck in National overnight.) One of untold stories in this early part of the campaign, is the self control of Donald Trump. That’s gone now, and voters are seeing the raw Trump. I think, that was part the Cruz campaigns game plan from the outset. Still, Iowa is all about turnout in the caucus. Cruz has a massive turnout operation going. It’s so big they’re bragging about it. Trump, well his turnout is one giant x factor. I now believe Trump is writing off Iowa, and is building for South Carolina.(Assuming Trump wins N.H.) While many in the threads have dismissed Rubio, that would naive. He has skated though the early primaries undamaged, and pretty much untouched. He is a formidable campaigner, not to be underestimated. What he does in the early two will have massive impact down the line.

flackcatcher on January 23, 2016 at 8:42 PM

You are about the 50th person that has posted this.

Why don’t you read upthread?

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:30

And in no instance did a trumper express the slightest reticence to being labeled Trump’s bitch.

Malachi45 on January 23, 2016 at 8:43 PM

well, QOTD is up. Maybe some sanity.

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:42 PM

I’ll Join ya. ;)

bazil9 on January 23, 2016 at 8:45 PM

oscarwilde on January 23, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Tell me more about TDS.

Sounds completely made-up by people who sleep with life-size Trump dolls and go to sleep listening to him read his book to you.

Bigbullets on January 23, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Stupid mistake that an editor did not catch this obvious Russian photo. The photo appears to have been taken in 1988 as Russian veterans celebrated the 70th anniversary of the 1918 Bolshevik revolution.

tej on January 23, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Don’t you trump people people have a shred of dignity?

Malachi45 on January 23, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Do you have even a shred of honesty?

He said talking heads were saying he has such loyal supporters that he could shoot someone in the head on 5th Ave and he wouldn’t lose votes.

NWConservative on January 23, 2016 at 8:48 PM

flackcatcher on January 23, 2016 at 8:42 PM

That is by design.

There is no way a guy like Trump wants to give up his freedom to be President. Not going to happen.

Trump will find a way to bail much like Perot did. And it will be awesome when it happens.

Bigbullets on January 23, 2016 at 8:49 PM

My favorite times on this site were after the 2008/2012 elections and reading all of the meltdown comments. I can’t wait for this years! Lol…pretty please nominate Donald Trump. I beg of you! That will do more to turn out the vote on the Democratic side than any Hillary or Bernie nomination.

Politricks on January 23, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Happy Nomad on January 23, 2016 at 8:16 PM

You really are stupid, boy.

Solaratov on January 23, 2016 at 8:51 PM

butch on January 23, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Don’t leave yet.

Misha on January 23, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Schad…

That’s what he said. It must sting being called a mindless sheep by your leader lol.

Politricks on January 23, 2016 at 8:55 PM

I now believe Trump is writing off Iowa

flackcatcher on January 23, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Except for the fact that all evidence points to the contrary, you’re probably right!

Joseph K on January 23, 2016 at 8:56 PM

What a great campaign ad generated by some of the best and brightest people, just like Mr Trump promised.

MississippiMom on January 23, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Sola…I think he meant in America lime Donald Trump claimed.

Politricks on January 23, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Joseph K on January 23, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Well some posters live in alternate realities where Trump is not front-runner unless he’s winning by 50 pts.

NWConservative on January 23, 2016 at 9:03 PM

flackcatcher on January 23, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Both The Husband and I were/are enjoying this campaign but have always leaned to Cruz. Ultimately he and Cruz will probably cancel each other out and Rubio will become the nominee.

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 9:09 PM

flackcatcher on January 23, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Is it possible that this week’s “Storm of the Century” will give NJ Gov. Christie material to show himself in a good light; as a real leader? After all, Governors run states. Senators run their mouths.

ReggieA on January 23, 2016 at 9:13 PM

I guess Trump has never borrowed money for business purposes/

Exactly – Cruz effectively loaned himself the money because the loan wfully backed by his account, AND he publicly disclosed the loan at the time in his financial disclosure report – and yet Trump falsely smears him knowing the despicable political dirty trick will fool some people.

When Trump himself took a hidden illegal payment of $3.5 MILLION from his dad to bail him out of his Taj Mahal debt – it didn’t work and he still defaulted on the bonds, got caught later, and was fined tens of thousands of dollars for the hidden illegal transaction. Even more ironic, in order to even get start ed on the Taj Mahal, he lied like mad to the regulators under oath – swore to them that bankers were lined up, calling him, knocking his doors down begging to loan him money for the project at prime rates, so he wouldn’t have to use junk bonds like anyone else would, and which would be sure to to fail…

So they approved it, and presto, Trump could NOT get prime rate loans, he’d lied about how all the bankers were lined up begging to give him money, and he had to use junk bonds at the higher rates!! See the link below.

Sound familiar? Everyone loves Trump is behind Trump, will do anything Trump wants, he always wins, yada yada yada… except of course they’re not it’s all just hyperbole… and gawd forbid that anyone says anything he doesn’t like – even if the day before he was swearing up and down they’re great people, wonderful friends, smart as can be, phenomenal, fantastic, etc., they say one thing he doesn’t like and suddenly they’re losers, fat slobs, clueless, bimbo’s, bleeding from their…. wherever, incompetent, failure losers. It’s mind blowing the way he does this over and over… and rather horrifying to imagine that in the Presidency and and Commander in Chief.

Trumps Bad Bet – How Too Much Debt Drove His Biggest Casino Aground

Rational Db8 on January 23, 2016 at 9:15 PM

ReggieA on January 23, 2016 at 9:13 PM

I know he is struggling with a Democrat legislature but New Jersey’s financial situation is problematic.

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 9:25 PM

wrt the loans:

1) Cruz brands himself an anti Wall Street crusader
2) Cruz gets loans from Goldman Sachs and Citibank
4) Cruz doesn’t disclose these loans on his FEC filing

Chomsky Dance Recital on January 23, 2016 at 8:04 PM

So everyone who ever gets a bank loan is a Wall Street insider? Where did you get your home mortgage from? Where do you think Trump gets all his loans to build buildings from? The loans he’s gotten from Wall Street are utterly massive compared to Cruz’s measly $1 M. So is Trump “bought by” and “beholden to” Wall Street? Probably FAR more so than Cruz.

Cruz’s GS loan was fully backed by his own account – that IS effectively putting everything you have into it. Had he missed a single payment, the entire amount would have been taken straight from his account. The Citibank “loan” was a line of credit, and I’ve yet to see anyone show that he actually used any of the available credit.

He disclosed the loans at the time, very publicly, in his candidate financial disclosure report. Nothing was the least bit “hidden.”

All of this is nothing more than a dishonest opportunistic smear campaign by Trump, who knows full well that many people will fall for his lies about these issues.

Rational Db8 on January 23, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Rix on January 23, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Sorry, but I don’t agree at all. Cruz has always outperformed Trump on the head to head match up polls against Hillary. And Trump has VASTLY more baggage than Cruz does, just sitting there for the Dems to use. Hillary’s best ad will be video of TRUMP singing her praises to high heaven, best Secretary of State ever, hard worker, great judgement, surrounds herself with great people, would be a fantastic president, yada yada – all within the last few years, followed by a gleeful Hillary saying “I approve of this Ad!!”

Plus, the majority of voters don’t trust Trump at all: Poll Nov. 4, 2015: Trump is not honest and trustworthy, voters say 58 – 38 percent.

Trump consistently has the WORST favorable/unfavorable ratio in the polls of all the candidates – worse even than Hillary, and that’s really saying something. He’s also got the highest number who say they would NEVER consider voting for him under any circumstances. Plus a large percentage of Trump’s supporters seems to be people that are very unlikely to actually vote.

He’s got a lifelong history of being merrily in bed with the worst kind of big government crony capitalism, screwing average Americans out of their life savings to line his already bloated pockets a little more, no regard for the Constitution, and is being sued in multiple states in class action suits for fraud.

Any way you cut it, I think Cruz is far more electable than Trump is in the general election.

Rational Db8 on January 23, 2016 at 9:34 PM

butch on January 23, 2016 at 8:41 PM

I hear ya.

Buy Danish on January 23, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Cindy Munford on January 23, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Exactly. The Democrats think that Trump will be the EASIEST to beat of all the Republican candidates, and I think they’re exactly right.

Dec 4, 2015: Democrats think Donald Trump would be the easiest Republican to beat next November but they fear Marco Rubio. That’s according to a majority of the Democratic insiders in this week’s POLITICO Caucus, our survey of the top strategists, operatives and activists in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada. Nearly 60 percent of Democratic insiders in the first four nominating states say the businessman… would be the easiest of the leading GOP candidates to defeat in the general election. Only 14% think Cruz would be the easiest to beat. Meanwhile, only 10% think that Trump would be the hardest to beat. “Democrats expressed confidence that not only would they defeat Trump easily but a Trump nomination would lead to a Democratic landslide up and down the ballot. One New Hampshire Democrat called the prospect of the New York real estate tycoon winning the nomination “a self-inflicted tsunami” for the GOP. “Democrats, independents and mainstream Republicans would abandon the top of the ticket and perhaps sweep out Republicans down ticket as well.” ”

There’s so much ready ammunition laying around about Trump it’s mind-boggling – why none of his opponents have attacked with these things is a real head scratcher.

For example, Trump claims he always wins, gets what he wants, chooses the best people, etc…. but facts prove that’s almost all hyperbole and braggadocio, and not anywhere near true: Courtesy of “Vennoye:” “When Trump was talking about running against Obama in 2011, the left did a ton of opposition research on him. It is all still out there, and some of it is brutal. This is an example….just remember it is from the left. If Trump should become the nominee, it will be one mass data dump!!” 10 Stories About Donald Trump You Won’t Believe Are True

Rational Db8 on January 23, 2016 at 9:41 PM

butch on January 23, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Then why has he consistently performed BETTER than Trump in all the head to head matchups against Hillary, both nationally and in swing states? Why are his favorable/unfavorable ratios so much better than Trumps, and why does Trump have far more people saying they would never consider voting for him under any circumstances?

I think Cruz is far more electable than Trump. Besides, they used to say the same things about Reagan supposedly being unelectable, too far to the right, etc., etc., and Reagan won in two of the largest landslide victories ever since World War II. I think the more people hear and see Cruz in debates, interviews, campaign rallies, etc., the more they’ll like him. And he already gets independents supporting him, not just conservatives, even though he gets a larger percentage of conservatives of course..

Rational Db8 on January 23, 2016 at 9:51 PM

oscarwilde on January 23, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Baloney. The media haven’t shredded Trump because any way you cut it he’s a huge win for them. The liberal mainstream media loves Trump and hates Cruz. Trump is the Kardashian candidate – everyone knows his name because of his b-string reality TV show work – and name recognition means more readers, more click throughs – all desperately sought by the liberal mainstream media. Trump gives the liberal mainstream media one sensationalist headline after another, and they love that too. He’s clickbait for them to draw in readers of all sorts – those who love him those who hate him those who are just curious, etc. Plus they think he’ll be the easiest for Hillary to beat, which is their preferred outcome. Add to it that they’re well aware of the fact that he’s been a liberal democrat much of his life and still supports some liberal policies, so if they do wind up “stuck” with him as president, they know he’s more likely to favor positions they prefer… Add to it that they know he’ll create lots of sensationalist headlines for them as president too, so they win again…. Plus they figure he’ll do a bad job which can then be blamed on the Republicans… So any way you cut it, Trump is a win-win-win-win for the liberal mainstream media. Put it all together, and they merrily give him between 10 to 25 times the coverage of all the others combined, literally.

Rational Db8 on January 23, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Politricks on January 23, 2016 at 8:51 PM

That’s dumb.

You know it’s dumb. I know it’s dumb. And you know that I know that you know that it’s dumb.

Bigbullets on January 23, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Hmmmm,

Quite sure the Cruzites will have their ready-made excuses.

Tarnsman on January 23, 2016 at 10:03 PM

You really are stupid, boy.

Solaratov on January 23, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Never ceases to amaze me when someone calls someone else stupid while doing something very stupid themselves. Trump claimed he saw widespread TV coverage of “thousands and thousands'” of Muslims celebrating 9/11 in NEW JERSEY.

You post a video from PALESTINE.

Do you really think that Palestine is in New Jersey??

Rational Db8 on January 23, 2016 at 10:41 PM

I am the perfect candidate — I would definitely vote for myself — IF I were running. But I’m not.

My two most important issues BY FAR are those that are EXISTENTIAL for America — the illegal invasion across our border and the islamic jihad/hijrah.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS if these two problems aren’t dealt with ASAP.

If Cruz or Jeb! or Kasich or anybody else were as strong on these two issues, but was a bit more polite and genteel, I would certainly consider him.

But without addressing those issues upfront and with strength, we are lost.

The Aztlan Caliphate doesn’t allow free speech in English, so there would be no chance to discuss domestic issues such as ethanol, etc.

Mark Steyn says it much better:

fred5678 on January 23, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Ed…

This is the kind of inside baseball stuff that the GOP always thinks is some great win.

Laura Ingraham is right and here is why Donald Trump is winning.

Whatever you think of Trump personally, his supporters are pushing for three big things:

A return to traditional GOP law and order practices when it comes to illegal immigration.
A return to a more traditional GOP foreign policy that would put the national interest ahead of globalism.
A return to a more traditional GOP trade policy that would analyze trade deals from the perspective of the country as a whole and not blindly support any deal — even one negotiated by President Obama.

Everything is small stuff that is only of importance to political junkies. Until some candidate can outflank him on those issues, or at least bloody Trump on his ground then he will be the next nominee it appears. Cruz is probably the only one who can maybe do that with any credibility, but it hard to accomplish that and fight the GOPe. He is now in a vice, attacked on two fronts.

It proves that Cruz never had a shot because the GOPe would have done everything in their power to prevent him from winning. Hard to make a conservative argument for the Republican Party now. It is almost as if Trump set this up to force Cruz to be defeated not by Trump’s own attacks on Cruz’s eligibility for office, but to bring out the GOPe long knives to do it for him. Then Trump can sit back and say…See I told you the GOPe has no honor. Look what they just did to poor Cruz.

Great conservatives the GOPe is…right National Review?

William Eaton on January 23, 2016 at 10:42 PM

From my link to Steyn above:

The past is another country, and the Chamber of Commerce Republicans gave it away. Reagan’s California no longer exists. And, if America as a whole takes on the demographics of California, then “the conservative movement” will no longer exist. That’s why, for many voters, re-asserting America’s borders is the first, necessary condition for anything else – and it took Trump to put that on the table.

I would add the oft-documented-by-Steyn jihad/hijrah as the second issue to be addressed before anything else. All else is mere background noise, such as Soviet medals.

fred5678 on January 23, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Very first thought was “Trump hired the ad team that did the Demo Convention bit?” Or maybe he hired the same political consultant that hired the ad team that put that stupidity together.

Yes, this is a mistake anyone too young and unassociated with the military could make. But it certainly does raise the competency issue. (Especially since he once booted someone from The Apprentice for trusting his people too much. Irony so thick you could cut it with a yuge knife.)

GWB on January 23, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Thanks for the compliment?

Buy Danish on January 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM

You are God now?

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Rational Db8 on January 23, 2016 at 9:51 PM

I hope that you are right. I’d love to be wrong on this.

butch on January 23, 2016 at 11:19 PM

I hope that you are right. I’d love to be wrong on this.

butch on January 23, 2016 at 11:19 PM

What I’m afraid of is that we may never find out – that Trump looks likely to win the nomination, even though he’ll do worse in the general.

Rational Db8 on January 23, 2016 at 11:32 PM

butch on January 23, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Good to see you back..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2016 at 11:41 PM

+ 100..I agree..A POTUS must surround himself with competent folks..We have already experienced 8 years of very incompetent leadership from Team Obie..We don’t need anymore..:)

Dire Straits on January 23, 2016 at 11:51 PM

Progressives rarely know anything about the military hence the mistake with the medals. Trump is a Progressive pretending Republican as probably is his staff. Perhaps as a Running Mate, Trump can choose Geraldo Rivera, another “Republican”

kenny on January 24, 2016 at 12:08 AM

Today’s rally with Cruz/Beck was a yuuuuge disaster.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2016 at 6:30 PM

WestportSC on January 23, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Cruz got a loan? Well, this definitely finishes him as a good guy!

Definitely one of the stupider gotchas floating around right now.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 24, 2016 at 12:52 AM

Cruz pays his loans back. No bankruptcy.

butch on January 23, 2016 at 6:41 PM

HugoDrax on January 23, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Most likely borrowed the money to loan to his campaign, then let the campaign pay back the loan it was given.

Fairly routine. It’s amazing that people try to suggest something nefarious going on here.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 24, 2016 at 12:58 AM

You know what’s really ironic about this little goof? It’s probably a perfect indication of Trump’s “New York Values.” That is, we probably see mistakes like this because so many people on his staff are New Yorkers who have almost no contact with the military. It’s like saying “Two Corinthians” for a Bible reference. It’s minor in itself, but it’s the kind of mistake that suggests a complete lack of familiarity with the topic.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 24, 2016 at 1:18 AM

well, QOTD is up. Maybe some sanity.

Barred on January 23, 2016 at 8:42 PM

brother, if you think QOTD is a refuge for sanity, well . . . maybe back in the day but now. . . .

Younggod on January 24, 2016 at 1:32 AM

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 24, 2016 at 12:58 AM

Before commenting on the two big loans, unreported too, claiming to his constituents that he was self funding, you should read up on what he and his wife signed and said about it in the last 10 days.

Schadenfreude on January 24, 2016 at 1:58 AM

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 24, 2016 at 12:58 AM

Schadenfreude on January 24, 2016 at 1:58 AM

You mean declared on his Senate paperwork, but not declared on his FEC.

And if he loaned his own money to his political campaign, as seems likely, then that is “self-funding,” at least initially. The fact that he got the needed cash from borrowing against his assets is no more important than if he got the needed cash from selling assets. Either way, he put his own money into the campaign to get started.

This is classic mud-slinging and demagoguery.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 24, 2016 at 2:30 AM

You are God now?

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Of course not, but you are not only incoherent (as usual) you don’t possess the supernatural mind-reading skills you seem to think you do.

Buy Danish on January 24, 2016 at 3:18 AM

Oh look, it’s the “End of Trump” take 136,987.

Paperclips on January 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Shhh… The SorosConservatives might figure out in their Smerconish “enlightenment” phase that if a sock puppet announced an end of Amnesty, we would trust the sock puppet over the Elitist candidates running against Trump

Brock Robamney on January 24, 2016 at 5:49 AM

Schadenfreude on January 24, 2016 at 1:58 AM

My issue with Cruz is that as vice chair of the NRSC that he screwed over Chris McDaniel in funding Thad Cochrans Demicrat tactics to win office. Not exactly a “conservative” move unless this is the new conservatism

Brock Robamney on January 24, 2016 at 5:53 AM

Ed you need to explain how you really feel about the Don.

Varchild on January 24, 2016 at 8:14 AM

I don’t trust DT. Period. His first two wives trusted him and look what it got them, wife #3. All the kids love him because they have jobs. He can’t comb his hair or find a good barber. He made big contributions to dem/libs so he could do business. Why would this stop if he’s on the reverse side of the deal? Would DT really put his business in a blind trust if he wins? Killary and Billy boy take donations from foreign governments which started while they were in the WH. He brings a lot of bluster to the debates but then walks some of it back within a week. He says he’ll get Carl Icahn as someone he would get to make deals with China. Mr. Icahn is a hedge fund manager on Wall ST. I’m sure Icahn would do a great job for the US but don’t attack Cruz for having ties to Wall St at the same time. Do I like to hear a politician talk tough about the border, immigration, the vets, the economy, and foreign policy, you betcha, but I don’t want someone who just talks tuff when there’s a really good chance they can’t deliver.

Kissmygrits on January 24, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Just another indictment IMO of the contemporary educational scheme that has dominated our ed-system for a generation or two. It produces “credentialed” students that are lazy, and ignorant; who don’t know sh*t about Shinola.
If they had actually studied world history, they would know the difference between Russian/Soviet ships/medals, and those of an American nature.
They would know the difference between a mob streaming across the Moroccan desert and a stream there, and the Rio Grande. At the very least, they would know that they need to verify everything they intend to put before a vast public that will have people within it that does know, and will brace them for their ignorance.

Another Drew on January 24, 2016 at 11:58 AM

The document that the one vet is holding should have been a clue. It says “70 LET,” which is nonsensical in English. But ‘LET’ is the transliteration of лет, meaning ‘years’ in Russian.

(Side note: года–transliteration: goda–also means ‘years,’ but over a certain number of years which I cannot remember, the word лет is used.)

Juliette Ochieng on January 24, 2016 at 8:01 PM