Video: Snowmageddon 2016 approacheth

posted at 3:21 pm on January 22, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

Three feet of snow in Washington DC by Sunday? Forecasters think this could be the biggest storm in six years to hit the eastern region of the US, and the impact could run from Arkansas to Massachusetts all the way down to Georgia. The saving grace of the blizzard may be that it will hit over the weekend, when traffic would normally be light anyway. CBS This Morning reports that 75 million Americans may be impacted by Winter Storm Jonas:

The blizzard menacing the eastern United States could rank near the top 10 to ever hit the region, according to the National Weather Service.

Snowfall as heavy as 1 to 3 inches an hour could continue for 24 hours or more in some places, said meteorologist Paul Kocin with the service’s Weather Prediction Center in College Park, Maryland. That puts estimates at more than 2 feet for Washington, a foot to 18 inches for Philadelphia and 8 inches to a foot in New York.

CBS Radio Washington, D.C. affiliate WTOP-AM says parts of that region could see 2-and-a-half feet of snow.

“I’ve lived in D.C. most of my life, and I don’t know that I have lived through a forecast like this,” said Mayor Muriel Bowser.

When Washington DC got an inch of snow this week and bolloxed up their response, people living in heavy-snow areas snickered up their sleeves at the incompetence. A storm of this size, though, would put even Minnesota and Wisconsin into paralysis, at least for a short period of time. For good reason, states of emergency have already been declared in the areas expecting to get hit hard by Snowmageddon. North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory warned people to stay off the roads, for their own sakes and for the sake of others. “You could kill other people, not just yourself,” McCrory scolded in a press conference. That’s good advice, but as Minnesotans and Wisconsinites will attest, some people will live in denial. Let’s hope they don’t die in denial, too.

CBS’ report raises an interesting question about a big event this weekend. The Carolina Panthers won home-field advantage throughout the playoffs and should be hosting the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday. However, the Cardinals have yet to arrive in Charlotte, and even if they get there, how will the fans make it to the stadium on Sunday? The New England Patriots will leave Massachusetts today to fly to Denver, and they should be able to make it out, but the Cardinals were supposed to arrive Saturday morning. Bruce Arians isn’t changing travel plans, according to the Charlotte Observer:

Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians keeps getting asked about the rough weather headed toward Charlotte and Arians shrugs off each inquiry.

The plan all week was for the Cardinals to fly out of Phoenix on Saturday morning after a normal practice day Friday. A forecast of snow and ice in the Queen City didn’t change Arians’ thinking.

“As far as I know, we’re set to be in there and it should be cleared up,” Arians said of the wintry precipitation.

The Cardinals may make it out there, but many of their fans may not, ABC’s affiliate in Arizona reports:

If the game goes off as planned, it should be … interesting. Having a dome team coming in against a warm-weather team in conditions more suited to the Green Bay Packers might scramble all of the predictions for the NFC championship game, and could provide an exciting afternoon for fans … assuming any of them can get to the stadium.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Some time ago the gubmint did a survey of the Maine-New Hampshire border. They figured out there was a farmer on the border who thought he lived on the Maine side, but turns out he actually lived on the NH side. When they went to tell him he responded – “Well thank gawwwd, I don’t think I coulda stood anothah one o those Maine wintahs.”

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2016 at 5:20 PM

. . . : ) . . . Where did that happen?
listens2glenn on January 22, 2016 at 4:39 PM

In a little tropical gem named Thule Air Base.
Immolate on January 22, 2016 at 4:43 PM

Yeah, right . . . . . “tropical gem.”

That’s the first sarcasm meter we’ve blown up, in a few months.

We’re you there for a twelve month stint, or just “passing through”?

listens2glenn on January 22, 2016 at 5:22 PM

When I was in Cheyenne Mtn in the mid 80s, I worked for a Major who had just come down from a tour there – he was a C-130/AC-130 nav. He said the same kind of things – best kept secret in the AF according to him.

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Interesting. When I left Thule, I went to Colorado Spring (’86/’87) and shared a house in Security with a guy who worked Cheyenne Mtn security police. I was in Space Command in the Chidlaw building. Proposed to my first wife at the Broadmoor. Any wonder I left the service in ’87 and moved the Florida and haven’t budged since?

What was your Major’s last name?

Immolate on January 22, 2016 at 5:23 PM

We’re freezing here in Texas. It’s 55 degrees.

docflash on January 22, 2016 at 4:19 PM

Haha … in Western PA, that would be flip-flops and shorts weather.

PatriotGal2257 on January 22, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Yeah, right . . . . . “tropical gem.”

That’s the first sarcasm meter we’ve blown up, in a few months.

We’re you there for a twelve month stint, or just “passing through”?

listens2glenn on January 22, 2016 at 5:22 PM

June ’85 to July ’86, thirteen months.

Immolate on January 22, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Just saw your 5:10PM comment, so “never-mind”.

listens2glenn on January 22, 2016 at 5:26 PM

What was your Major’s last name?

Immolate on January 22, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Woods.
I was in the SSC 83-87 – and I also got out in 87 – but stayed here in COS – never left.

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Sweater weather in Chicago right now.

Old nuke on January 22, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Born and raised in Buffalo….! I can NEVER get enough snow!

herm2416 on January 22, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Woods.

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Doesn’t ring a bell so we may have missed each other. There were only 200ish military on the base at the time so small community.

Nice you stayed in the Springs. I have an Army bird colonel cousin who retired there with her Army husband so I still get word on what’s going on there on occasion. I believe they moved to Denver in the last few years. The Springs were a military town when I was there. How is it now?

Immolate on January 22, 2016 at 5:32 PM

The Springs were a military town when I was there. How is it now?

Immolate on January 22, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Still is – Ft Carson is bigger with SF and a helicopter unit, Peterson now has 4 HQs (AFSPC, NORAD, NORTHCOM, Army SMDC), Schreiver (formerly Falcon AFS) is growing and even has base housing, and USAFA is still there.

I personally know one female Army O-6 retiree, but her husband is a retired Navy O-5 – and they still live here, so must not be them….

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Egad, what a _ussie. Please, can we get the greenies to reintroduce bears and wolves in places like this, now? Please? We need to weed these folks out of our gene pool.

They sent everyone home early in SE Va. The roads were awful – not because of the snow and ice (though we really don’t have the removal equipment here), but because of the stupid drivers. Between those going 20mph on the highway and those going 85, it was a VERY good thing traffic was light. It’s not the snow and ice that is the problem (like it is NOT the glare in the morning), but the idiotic drivers.

GWB on January 22, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Immolate on January 22, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Most of the people I know who have been to Thule worked at the radar.

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2016 at 5:43 PM

GWB on January 22, 2016 at 5:43 PM

LOL – dang – so its so bad, just the forecast is enough to kill people……

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Born and raised in Buffalo….! I can NEVER get enough snow!

herm2416 on January 22, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Gimme your address and I’ll send you some.

Laura in Maryland on January 22, 2016 at 5:52 PM

The Springs were a military town when I was there. How is it now?

Immolate on January 22, 2016 at 5:32 PM

BTW – do you remember what there was out east that was considered “Falcon” back then?
Basically one gas station and a few ranchers.
Now hundreds, if not a thousand or more houses and multiple shopping centers – including a Walmart.

Academy Blvd is now roughly the middle of COS and getting to be “old part of town”, Powers Blvd further east is 3 lanes each way and solid shopping centers and constant heavy traffic.

The whole area has gotten much bigger and more crowded since the 80s.

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2016 at 5:53 PM

LOL – dang – so its so bad, just the forecast is enough to kill people……

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Yep. The apocalypse can’t come fast enough. *smh*

GWB on January 22, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Gonna be 72 degrees here in the Valley of the Sun. That’s down from the balmy 75 we’re enjoying today. The pool is still too cold, but I might try to squeeze in a round of golf.

Hill60 on January 22, 2016 at 6:28 PM

There are two ways to take this news: It will be the storm of the century and cause all kinds of human suffering;

OR

It will be yet another hysterical response but the media to a storm that may fizzle to a regular inconvenient blizzard.

Film at eleven.

RebeccaH on January 22, 2016 at 6:56 PM

People rushing out for food and supplies always crack me up. If our cupboards were empty and the water was frozen, we could last here for a year or more. Be prepared, not scared.

SansJeux on January 22, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Snow!! We’re all gonna die!!! Oh noes!!!!

whatcat on January 22, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Snow!! We’re all gonna die!!! Oh noes!!!!

whatcat on January 22, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Snow…the North vs. the South

JetBoy on January 22, 2016 at 7:20 PM

dentarthurdent on January 22, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Legendary New Hampshire folk singer Tom Rush tells a variation on that classic in his live shows-he and his wife moved from NH to Vermont about 5 years ago.

He said they did so because they “were tired of the New Hampshire winters”.

Del Dolemonte on January 22, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Snow…the North vs. the South…

JetBoy on January 22, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Heh. In Minnesota the saying is “We have two seasons – Winter and Road Repair.”

whatcat on January 22, 2016 at 7:53 PM

People rushing out for food and supplies always crack me up.
SansJeux on January 22, 2016 at 7:10 PM

People getting into fistfights over the last can of waxed beans never fails to give me a giggle.

whatcat on January 22, 2016 at 7:56 PM

whatcat on January 22, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Well, who can blame them? No one likes hairy beans.

LegendHasIt on January 22, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Heh. In Minnesota the saying is “We have two seasons – Winter and Road Repair.”

whatcat on January 22, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Cold and snow I can deal with…I’ve done a lot of skiing, I grew up in Conn, now in NY…it’s nothing really unusual. But no way/no how could I imagine living in Minnesota. I’d have to start getting dressed 45 minutes before I have to go outside in the Winter there…and pile on five layers.

JetBoy on January 22, 2016 at 8:26 PM

whatcat on January 22, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Well, who can blame them? No one likes hairy beans.

LegendHasIt on January 22, 2016 at 8:19 PM

That was so incredibly bad, it was actually good :P

Well played.

JetBoy on January 22, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Well, who can blame them? No one likes hairy beans.

LegendHasIt on January 22, 2016 at 8:19 PM

That was so incredibly bad, it was actually good :P

Well played.

JetBoy on January 22, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Heh. Yup, so bad it’s good.

whatcat on January 22, 2016 at 8:32 PM

JetBoy on January 22, 2016 at 8:26 PM

This winter has been relatively mild, even had a Green Christmas. The day after, the snow came.
Never skied, tho a life long Minnesotan. Used to take a big piece cardboard to go sliding down hills back in the day. Just don’t have the ankles or agility to ski or skate.

whatcat on January 22, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Snowing pretty good now in Northern VA. No blizzardy stuff yet. I think here in DC the drama queens of the news media work so hard creating panic propaganda content everyday that even weather ends up being an overblown event, either as practice or to compete. They start to believe their own hype. Then the news readers have to have some reason to blame someone for something innocuous because the person couldn’t magically predict the unpredictable (Republicans?). We end up not being able to get factual information on conditions because after 10 interviews, 6 reporters demonstrating ice, 3 tragic human interest stories and an investigation, it looks like the world is ending and suicide is the best option. The reality might be that the streets are wet. That’s not news.

I thought we out to call it SnowDayJose because Sunday the hoards of illegal Mexicans will descend to shovel snow throughout the richest parts of the city.

ironked on January 22, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Well, who can blame them? No one likes hairy beans.

LegendHasIt on January 22, 2016 at 8:19 PM

LOL

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 22, 2016 at 11:46 PM

Stiff Easterly wind in Lancaster, PA, at 02:20 2016-01-23

It’s blowing snow into nooks, crannies, and other places around the house and out-buildings, that usually don’t see drifting.

listens2glenn on January 23, 2016 at 2:24 AM

Hill60 on January 22, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Just bought NASCAR race tickets for 3/12….always wanted to sit on rattlesnake hill…gonna do it this year I’ll bet it’ll be 80+.

Who is John Galt on January 23, 2016 at 8:45 AM

If you think Minn winters are bad, try the winters in North Dakota. We’ve had a pretty good winter in NW MT so far. Enough snow to play in but still able to keep the driveway cleared.

Kissmygrits on January 23, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Snowblower stopped working.

Sadness.

talkingpoints on January 23, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Went to help shovel. Yelled at by husband because one time I got cold induced asthma so bad I had to go to the ER. Admittedly, at this time there would be no way to ge to the ER. Went to feed birds. Snow up to my knees. Called plow service. We’re “on the list”. Snow drifted in front of Wrangler to mid grille.

talkingpoints on January 23, 2016 at 10:15 AM

I blame Global Warming.

Galtian on January 23, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Snow kills! The only way to protect yourself and your family is to drink gallons of milk, eat several loaves of bread and build a shelter out of toilet paper. Temperatures won’t rise above freezing until Monday! Until then, I’m afraid you are on your own!

Wallythedog on January 23, 2016 at 11:44 AM

He said they did so because they “were tired of the New Hampshire winters”.

Del Dolemonte on January 22, 2016 at 7:51 PM

That’s probably where the story came from. I’ve got lots of books and CDs from him, Joe Perham, “Bert and I” by Marshall Dodge and Robert Bryan……

dentarthurdent on January 23, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Bert and I . . . LOL

My family still respond to the “where are we” question with the punchline from their routine where a hot air balloonist floats, lost, over a farmer in his field.

The balloonist calls down, “Where are we?”

The farmer answers, “You’re in a balloon, ya damn fool.”

ugottabekiddingme on January 23, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Power on. Heater stopped working. Under contract, but unlikely service can get here til roads better.

talkingpoints on January 24, 2016 at 3:20 AM

Haven’t seen this much on the ground since I was knee high. Spent the last few days wearing out my hips and back piling it up with a skid steer and sleeping in my van. I’m getting too old for this spit.

S. D. on January 24, 2016 at 9:28 PM