Cruz: Trump’s for amnesty, you know

posted at 12:01 pm on January 22, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

Too little, too late? Probably so, but Ted Cruz has belatedly begun to deploy what might be the only effective weapon against Donald Trump, which is … the pre-2015 Donald Trump. Cruz went on ABC’s Good Morning America to push back against Trump’s attack on his immigration policies, and reminded George Stephanopoulos that Trump used to sing a very different song on the issue. Plus, Cruz argues, Trump’s touchback is just another form of amnesty:

ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos

Presidential candidate Ted Cruz has praised Donald Trump for making illegal immigration a central issue of the Republican presidential race, but in an exclusive interview with ABC News, Cruz said that Trump’s immigration plan amounts to amnesty.

“So Donald Trump’s position is once you deport them, it’s what’s called touchback. A lot of establishment Republicans had touchback,” Cruz said in an interview with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos. “Basically you make them fly back to their country for a minute, touch the ground, and then they come back with amnesty as citizens. Now, Donald is entitled to do that. He can advance that position, but he doesn’t get to pretend that it’s not amnesty if he’s legalizing 12 million people [who are] here illegally.”

Cruz also accused Trump of latching onto the issue of illegal immigration for political gain. Cruz said Trump was notably absent during the battle over the “Gang of Eight” immigration reform bill in 2013.

“I would note at that time, right in the middle of the fight, Donald Trump was publicly supporting amnesty. He was supporting Marco Rubio’s Dream Act,” Cruz said. “He was criticizing Mitt Romney for being too tough on immigration. That’s where Donald Trump was in 2013. Now, when he launched his campaign for president, suddenly he discovered illegal immigration was a problem.”

Cruz is literally correct about Trump and “amnesty” in 2013:

If other Republicans want to do some damage to Trump’s standing, this is where they need to attack. For Cruz, though, it’s a bigger problem. He’s been playing footsie with Trump for months, refusing to comment on Trump’s positions and even complimenting him on the campaign trail. Everyone understands why, of course — Cruz wanted to position himself to inherit Trump’s voters if/when the tycoon either tired of the race, or the voters tired of the tycoon.

However, understanding the strategy doesn’t help Cruz claim the moral high ground on Trump’s flip-flops at this late stage of the race. The question will be why Cruz suddenly wants to make them an issue now, and the answer is obviously because Trump started attacking Cruz. It’s akin to being shocked, shocked that there is gambling in Rick’s casino.

Trump may have attacked first, but these issues with Trump have been ready to use for months. Why didn’t Cruz make this argument in April, May, or June? Because Cruz thought it would be to his advantage to draft behind Trump for as long as possible in the race until he was ready to take it over. Now Cruz is ready to attack Trump on his strength, but he waited far too long and allowed Trump to get far too strong before doing so.

Besides, the “touchback” option may be “amnesty” of a sort (especially since “amnesty” has become utterly indefinable by now), but it still fills the emotional need to punish those who broke the law before granting some sort of mercy. It’s wildly impractical, and unless Congress includes 300 or more Trumpians it won’t ever happen, but it appeals to a legitimate grievance that people who broke the law will get rewarded for their transgressions rather than properly punished for them.

Cruz opened another line of attack that might end up being very fruitful, if he presses it and has enough time left to make it stick. A number of Republicans in Washington expressed a preference for Trump yesterday over Cruz, considering the billionaire the more reasonable man. Cruz frames this shrewdly as the “tell” on Trump: Should voters trust someone with whom the establishment feels they can compromise, or the man they think will stick to his guns? If Team Ted wants to change minds, that should be their next attack ad in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Oh, you wanna go down memory lane during the 2000’s?
I suggest that’s a bad idea for Donald.
And I support him.
If I were Cruz I’d run ad’s with Trumps previous statements.
Its why I hesitate with Trump.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 2:44 PM

The Heritage Foundation withdrew the idea only a few years later.

But I see that we are now going to re-fight the Obamacare battles, because the Trump supporters are forced to argue that universal healthcare is a good thing.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 2:26 PM

I’m trying to be nice to you today, so pay attention.

The question is whether one can have universal care in a private system. You can. Whether it is desirable is another question, and not what we are talking about.

Running around claiming Trump supports single-payer and socialized medicine when he simply states that he supports universal care is stupid, and not helpful to your argument.

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Well after he repeals Obamacare, we can decide what kind of system the country should have.

And then ram it through over the wails of the Democrats.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:31 PM

You mean the wails of the National Review. The Democrats and Trump’s RNC are going to love universal healthcare.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Well actually National Review and the Democrats would be wailing together, since National Review just wanted us to knuckle under them.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:45 PM

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Problem is, it doesn’t matter to his supporters. They are so desperate to believe his promises that they’ll overlook everything he’s said and done. Regardless of his ability to deliver on those promises, regardless of the cost (I don’t mean money).

sloopy on January 22, 2016 at 2:43 PM

There are plenty of people that haven’t decided yet.
Then there are people like me switching between him and Cruz.
Anecdotal..but most people I know haven’t made a decision.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Oh, you wanna go down memory lane during the 2000’s?
I suggest that’s a bad idea for Donald.
And I support him.
If I were Cruz I’d run ad’s with Trumps previous statements.
Its why I hesitate with Trump.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 2:44 PM

What are you talking about?!

We are talking about someone manufacturing a fake tweet that he voted for Barack Obama in 2012.

I have no idea what tangent you’re going off into…

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Evidence of that please.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:43 PM

That would be too much work, despite ample evidence of Obama, Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi, and other prominent Democrats advocating single-payer as the end goal.

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Donald Trump Mocked For Creepy ‘I Would Bang My Daughter’ Ivanka Comment On ‘Daily Show’

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 2:49 PM

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Exactly. I can provide a mountain of evidence to the contrary. I was hoping she would put up Joe Lieberman.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM

Good thing.

I’m sure you would have hated that Hollywood celebrity Ronald Reagan too.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 1:00 PM

Oh, you mean the guy who was a Republican Governor of California with a proven track record before running for President?

Yeah, hated that celebrity. It would have been better we had a track record so we knew what we were getting into.

Nethicus on January 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Then my bad..I thought you were meaning something else.
Carry on

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 2:49 PM

Back to the national enquirer links I see.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM

Nethicus on January 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM

The guy who raised taxes, asked Eisenhower to run as a democrat, was a union boss, signed an abortion bill into law, a supporter of FDR, a supporter of the New Deal legislation, etc.

That guy?

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:52 PM

Then my bad..I thought you were meaning something else.
Carry on

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM

Ok. I was just talking about his 2012 fake tweet… :)

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:53 PM

How are you going to get single payer through Congress? Not even the Democrats want that.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Evidence of that please.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Because the bill, H.R. 676, has been around since 2003, it has been re-introduced twice, but has never been voted on, even when the Democrats were in the majority.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Back to the national enquirer links I see.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM

You’re claiming that’s fabricated, too. Right ? Trump never said it, right ?

lol

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 2:55 PM

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM

Ok. I was just talking about his 2012 fake tweet… :)

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Got it-no worries.:)
I’m at this point for Trump and Cruz, so you may not like me at times
but if I’m wrong-I’ll state it.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 2:55 PM

You’re claiming that’s fabricated, too. Right ? Trump never said it, right ?

lol

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 2:55 PM

That’s the problem with the hardcore supporters and a turn off for me.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Back to the national enquirer links I see.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:50 PM

You’re claiming that’s fabricated, too. Right ? Trump never said it, right ?

lol

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Another humorless dullard who just doesn’t get it. Daily Show, lol!

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 2:41 PM

If the government were declared a monopoly on healthcare services, Democrats would be on single-payer like flies on a fresh turd. It’s carving out the private-tier exception that will take an effort to push through.

Rix on January 22, 2016 at 2:59 PM

You’re claiming that’s fabricated, too. Right ? Trump never said it, right ?

lol

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 2:55 PM

No, I am claiming that is National Enquirer level reporting. Which is why you went to the Hollywood Life for that.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 2:48 PM

The bill was introduced almost 15 years ago. If they thought that they would get the votes they would have done something about it when they were in the majority.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Another humorless dullard who just doesn’t get it. Daily Show, lol!

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Jaime has been a long time poster here and a great one at that,
I’d ask you not to insult him.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Wait, I thought Medicare was not single payer?!

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Wait I’ve heard this argument before.

Kind of like amnesty for illegal aliens that I said, over and over, the Democrat party doesn’t really want. They want it as an issue to bludgeon republicans over. Now if the Republicans want to suicide themselves, they will let them.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Jaime has been a long time poster here and a great one at that,
I’d ask you not to insult him.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM

I suggest you talk to him. If he admits the Trump tweet is fabricated, and that he is 100 percent wrong about Trump voting for Obama in 2008, and stops insulting Trump supporters, I’ll back off.

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Rix on January 22, 2016 at 2:59 PM

No country with two-tier had do push anything through. I grew up in one.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 3:05 PM

O/T
Also, some surface level advice for Cruz – drop the thespian act. No more Reagan, Kennedy impersonations( I won’t link them – you can find them easily) and if I was in charge – no more stiff preacher walk and talk. Stick to the debate club not the drama club(which Cruz did through Highschool to Princeton to Harvard). But especially, no more impersonations of past Presidents.

BoxHead1 on January 22, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Jaime has been a long time poster here and a great one at that,
I’d ask you not to insult him.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Thanks, B9, but I don’t mind. It just shows the quality of some of the Trumpbots on here.

Most of the Trump supporters are great people and as you know I’ve defended them all along from the vicious attacks from both right and left. But there are always those few…

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM

I’d ask you not to insult him.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Prove it, loser.

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM

I’ve been around for a while. Why didn’t you tell your buddy to not insult me when he did?

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM

No country with two-tier had do push anything through. I grew up in one.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 3:05 PM

I guess it wasn’t Canada, since opening private medical offices required new legislation there. Now, with the commies back in power, I fully expect it to be rolled back.

Rix on January 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 3:03 PM

I’m not his mama just his friend. We can debate without insults.
A few of you are always here defending Trump but the attacks at times turn me off and I’m willing to vote Trump.
OTOH..this is a nasty primary and it will be what it is. Jaime can take care of himself.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM

A. I didn’t see him attack you-I just logged on.
B. He’s been my friend for years.

Maybe you can both dial it back a notch.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 3:10 PM

His campaign is a rebuke to their institutions. It says the Republican Party doesn’t need all these think tanks, all this supposed policy expertise. It says look at these people calling themselves libertarians and conservatives, the ones in tassel-loafers and bow ties. Have they made you more free? Have their endless policy papers and studies and books conserved anything for you? These people are worthless. They are defunct. You don’t need them, and you’re better off without them.

And the most frightening thing of all — as Francis’ advice shows — is that the underlying trend has been around for at least 20 years, just waiting for the right man to come along and take advantage.

Garyinaz66 on January 22, 2016 at 3:10 PM

Whenever Cruz talks he sounds like a debater.

anotherJoe on January 22, 2016 at 3:10 PM

The president-elect arrived at the Chevy Chase, Md., home of syndicated columnist George Will shortly after 6:30 p.m., according to a press pool report. Greeting him at the residence were other luminaries of the conservative commentariat, including the Weekly Standard’s William Kristol, New York Times columnist David Brooks, and Charles Krauthammer of the Washington Post.

Thank you Lord, for you are gracious.

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Prove it, loser.

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Why not try to improve on your honesty about where the insults started. Or are you too much of a jerk to admit it ?

some dim bulb anti-Trumper

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 1:55 PM

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Wait I’ve heard this argument before.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 3:03 PM

I don’t know what you are railing about. You are the one who wants universal healthcare. It hasn’t been voted on because the Democrats knew that they wouldn’t get the votes. Now that they are joined by the Trump Republicans, they can try it. That’s what deals are for.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Rix on January 22, 2016 at 3:07 PM

We are not talking about private medical offices, but about private health insurance.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Universal healthcare and single payer are not the same thing.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 3:18 PM

Universal healthcare and single payer are not the same thing.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 3:18 PM

No, it’s either something like Obamacare or single payer.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 3:21 PM

No, it’s either something like Obamacare or single payer.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Those are the only two options?

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 2:45 PM

He mentioned his admiration of universal healthcare in context to the system in Canada or the UK etc…..so..

Mimzey on January 22, 2016 at 3:30 PM

No, it’s either something like Obamacare or single payer.

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Those are the only two options?

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 3:23 PM

You can only have universal healthcare if they government either forces everybody to buy private health insurance, or if the government is the only health care provider. What other option do you suggest?

Gelsomina on January 22, 2016 at 3:30 PM

I think Trump and Cruz will both cave on immigration. The only person in politics I trust on it is Jeff Sessions. I know he’s worked with both of them but I still say they both cave.

Big Orange on January 22, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Without even getting into his past support for a massive wealth tax and single-payer health care, his know-nothing protectionism, or his passionate defense of eminent domain, I think we can say that this is a Republican campaign that would have appalled Buckley, Goldwater, and Reagan. — David Boaz

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Those are the only two options?

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 3:23 PM

..or hybrids of those two.

What other options do you see beyond free market options?

Mimzey on January 22, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Big Orange on January 22, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Then President Cruz gives the task to be run by Sessions. POTUS doesn’t have any part of writing legislation anyway.

Mimzey on January 22, 2016 at 3:39 PM

The boys of NRO

Schadenfreude on January 22, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Cruz is literally correct about Trump and “amnesty” in 2013:

“Congress must protect our borders first. Amnesty should be done only if the border is secure and illegal immigration has stopped.”

Except that Trump is not advocating for amnesty in that tweet, although the anti-Trumpers are striving mightily to lie everyone into believing he is.

That tweet is from August, 2013, immediately after Obama effectively began granting amnesty to illegals. Trump was making a statement, in the context of events occurring at that time, about the response Congress should make after Obama began unilaterally granting amnesty.

Congress hasn’t passed immigration legislation, but that hasn’t stopped President Obama from issuing directives that grant amnesty to illegal immigrants.

Last week, the Obama Administration issued the latest in a line of policy directives granting amnesty by default. This latest directive instructs Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials not to enforce immigration laws in cases where an illegal alien is the primary provider for any minor child—regardless of the child’s immigration status—or the parent or guardian of a child who is a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.

Jessica Zuckerman / August 30, 2013

It makes great ammunition for the deranged TDS sufferers to take Trumps tweet out of context and attempt to make Trump look bad, but it is essentially a falsehood that Trump was actually suggesting amnesty as a matter of policy.

bobthm3 on January 22, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Or are you too much of a jerk to admit it ?
jaime on January 22, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Your friend asked me to back off. I was considering it because I respond to that type of appeal. But you make it difficult. You don’t appear very worthy of that friendship. We can stop now or keep going. Your choice.

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 3:42 PM

OT/ some advise for Trump. Drop the high school/ college preppie jock schtick, and bravado bragging. It’s kinda low class and juvenile. Give it another week unchecked and he’ll be trying to give people wedgies.

Mimzey on January 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM

We can stop now or keep going. Your choice.

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Up to you. You’re the one who got it rolling. I’m just playing along.

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Up to you. You’re the one who got it rolling. I’m just playing along.

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Like I said. Unworthy of your friend.

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Unworthy

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 3:51 PM

So you’ve decided to continue to insult me. OK

I would say typical of a Trump supporter, but it’s not. It’s only typical of a lackwit Trump supporter.

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Put aside for a moment Trump’s countless past departures from conservative principle on defense, racial quotas, abortion, taxes, single-payer health care, and immigration. (That’s right: In 2012, he derided Mitt Romney for being too aggressive on the question, and he’s made extensive use of illegal-immigrant labor in his serially bankrupt businesses.) The man has demonstrated an emotional immaturity bordering on personality disorder, and it ought to disqualify him from being a mayor, to say nothing of a commander-in-chief. – Mona Charen

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 4:04 PM

This is the number one reason why I’m so hesitant to even lean towards supporting Trump. When added to the fact that the only ‘discernible’ policy that Trump has is his policy to throw nasty fishwife gossipmongering slurs at anyone who stands in the way of getting anything, including the Presidency, which will financially benefit himself.

Whether it’s having his companies declare bankruptcy and thereby stiffing the creditors and taxpayers; or having a local government utilize eminent domain to throw out legitimate private property owners from their properties in order to gain the land he needs for one of his major building ventures.

This is NOT someone I want sitting in the White House representing me and my country and fellow Americans, because Trump’s only ‘actual’ policy is representing his personal enrichment quest.

UPNorthWolf on January 22, 2016 at 4:08 PM

bobthm3 on January 22, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Let’s play a little ‘devils advocate’ and all agree that Trump is for amnesty. After all, since those deported for being in the US illegally are usually prohibited from applying for legal entry for a period of time – at least 5-10 years, allowing them to reapply and prove they’re one of the ‘good one’s’ is technically an amnesty.

So, if Trump is for amnesty, who running isn’t?

The fact is, everyone running, in both parties, is for amnesty of some degree. Who is offering the least egregious form of amnesty? The one that damages the economy / country the least? The one that puts Americans and America’s interests before those of the illegals or those who seek to profit from the illegals becoming legalized?

I only see two that approach that, Trump and Cruz. And of the two, Trump’s plan is, to me, the least egregious because he addresses and is in favor of enforcing the current laws and deporting those here illegally. He’s been more up front about that than Cruz who has been trying to walk that double yellow line on amnesty until he saw how Trump’s hardline immigration approach benefited him in the polls.

I’m still amazed at the type of arguments being tossed at Trump, and to a lesser extent at Cruz, by those who just imagine the past few years of GOPe fecklessness doesn’t exist / never happened.

Athos on January 22, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Cruz supporters have known he will stick to his guns and fight for conservative values no matter what. Glad you finally caught on. He also announced plans to build grass roots support to demand change in DC which is how our government is supposed to work unlike Trump who is Obamas’ twin and will do it all by himself.

Herb on January 22, 2016 at 4:19 PM

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 4:04 PM

I tell you what…

…quoting GOPe sycophants, shills, and apparatchiks, particularly in the NR’s ‘Special Edition: We Hate Trump’ edition would add more to the discussion when you can give me links to the NR’s Special Edition’s soliciting leading conservatives castigating the GOPe’s surrender for the 2014 Cromnibus.

The special edition taking the GOPe to task for their fiscally irresponsible and craven surrender on the 2015 Omnibus spending bill.

The special edition taking the GOPe Congressional Leadership to task for their decision to not use all the Constitutional tools they have to oppose Obama’s Executive Amnesty and instead punt the responsibility for it’s opposition to the States and Courts.

The special edition denigrating Senator John McCain for his shameful and craven insulting (far worse than what the Majority Leader Harry Reid said) of fellow Republican Senator Ted Cruz for using Congressional power of the purse and forcing Barack Obama to shutdown the government over Obamacare in Sept/Oct 2013. Or McCain’s shameful insults towards Conservatives – which are the GOP base.

Because without that, you’re not offering anything in a cogent, valid, or persuasive argument. It’s just demonstrating that one is just another GOPe sycophant and shill.

Athos on January 22, 2016 at 4:23 PM

If I were Cruz I’d run ad’s with Trumps previous statements.
Its why I hesitate with Trump.

bazil9 on January 22, 2016 at 2:44 PM

You should hesitate with Trump. Everyone should hesitate with Trump.

Who is the real Donald Trump? Who is the real Barack Obama?

Do we really need to elect a person President to find out that the past contains the seeds of the future?

Stepan on January 22, 2016 at 4:41 PM

While this is a government program, it is also very much market-based. It allows 620 private insurance companies to compete for this market. Once a year participants can choose from plans which vary in benefits and costs.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.206-208 & 218 , Jul 2, 2000

Are you f-kin kidding me?

The full quote makes it look even better.

He just wants a centralized source where people can get market based insurance plans across state lines.

Wow.

NWConservative on January 22, 2016 at 12:57 PM

The full quote is worse. It cannot be market based and a government program, WTF do you think O care is right now?

melle1228 on January 22, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Athos on January 22, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Yes, that’s a very good argument that Charles Hurt made in Real Clear Politics today. National Review’s unconservative coverage of those issues is worthy of contempt. It doesn’t change what they’re saying today, though.

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 4:48 PM

bobthm3 on January 22, 2016 at 3:41 PM

You can tell how cultlike supporters get when you offer criticism and they call you deranged. I support Cruz, and I can admit his bruises. I love how you all think because Trump hasn’t voted on anything he should get a clean pass. He has switch voter affiliation FIVE times since 1987. He has given money to Dems. He is still first and foremost a business man, and would be when he leaves office. Is he going to stand up the same Dems is going to have to pay off and whore himself out to after the Presidency?

melle1228 on January 22, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Trump as President: Sure Schumer, I will back your bill. I need your help on that New York Trump Towers deal.

Not a bought man? You are deluding yourselves.

melle1228 on January 22, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Athos on January 22, 2016 at 4:23 PM

The fact that people like Dana Loesch are being called shills and establishment is ridiculous.

melle1228 on January 22, 2016 at 4:52 PM

melle1228 on January 22, 2016 at 4:52 PM

When politics becomes a religion, all non believers must be punished and banished.

Mimzey on January 22, 2016 at 4:56 PM

Mimzey on January 22, 2016 at 4:56 PM

I don’t get it. If they even actually critically thought about what DT has said, they would run fast.

DT “Sure I have paid money to DNC politicians for business favors.

Will he still own the business and need favors, and how will he pay those pols then?

melle1228 on January 22, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Basically it all boils down to trump’s credibility. Trump has stated most of the things he is supposed to say. Having said that, the best strategy will be to attack his credibility. Personally I don’t find that to be a difficult task.

voiceofreason on January 22, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Cruz supporters don’t like to hear it, but the fact is that in his heart Cruz is pro-immigration. We know this the same way that we knew Obama was pro-gay 8 years ago despite opposing gay marriage. It’s just a fact. He is the son of an immigrant and like 99% of first and second generation immigrants he will always side with pro-immigration crowd. I am literally the only 1st or 2nd generation immigrant I know who isn’t hyper-sensitive about immigration. The other fact is that conservatives face certain demographic doom within the next 4 years if immigration isn’t slowed significantly. We WILL NOT win another election in the next 50 years. Hispanics and Muslims aren’t just moving to south-west border states anymore. They are moving to places like the midwest and even solidly conservative south. This is a fight we cannot afford to lose. Any candidate who is iffy on this issue is a traitor to conservative cause and Ted Cruz has proven that he absolutely CANNOT be trusted on immigration. Vote Trump and save this nation.

legalimmigrant on January 22, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Cruz supporters don’t like to hear it, but the fact is that in his heart Cruz is pro-immigration… He is the son of an immigrant and like 99% of first and second generation immigrants he will always side with pro-immigration crowd…Any candidate who is iffy on this issue is a traitor to conservative cause and Ted Cruz has proven that he absolutely CANNOT be trusted on immigration. Vote Trump and save this nation.

legalimmigrant on January 22, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Absolutely, we need to get as close to a freeze on immigration as possible. Assimilate everyone without shoving an American flag down their throat.

Cruz’s policy was to let every illegal stay here legally. Of course, he had to know that eventually, they would get citizenship. The US Govt. will not permanently keep people as guest workers.

cimbri on January 22, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 3:42 PM

If you don’t say, “Why should I just because you ask? Is your reasoning any good, or is it really just an emotional appeal?” I’ll say you’re making a mistake to assent to that kind of request. :)

Anti-ControI on January 22, 2016 at 5:38 PM

legalimmigrant on January 22, 2016 at 5:24 PM

That ship has already sailed. And illegal immigration has less to do with it than you may think.

Neitherleftorright on January 22, 2016 at 5:40 PM

@realDonaldTrump
Immigration reform is all risk for the @GOP. Their base doesn’t want it and the 12M illegals will all vote Democrat.

12:34 PM – 1 Apr 2013

@realDonaldTrump
The new amnesty bill is over 1000 pages. It is another monstrosity a la ObamaCare.

11:28 AM – 29 May 2013

[email protected]
“TRUMP: IMMIGRATION BILL A REPUBLICAN ‘DEATH WISH’”
9:41 AM – 4 Jun 2013

Trump’s position on illegal immigration and amnesty was well known in 2013. He wasn’t at the border handing out teddy bears with Glenn Beck in 2014 either. There are legitimate arguments you can make against Trump, but this is a stupid tact to take for Cruz. It’s not accurate, and its easy to refute. Which makes Cruz look dumb for going this route.

Frankly, if Cruz was as hardcore anti-amnesty this cycle as he now claims to be, Trump wouldn’t have jumped to the top in the polls back in July/August. Cruz could have, but he didn’t take a hardline approach to illegal immigration, and Trump did, and then took the heat for it from the media for months.

Buckshot Bill on January 22, 2016 at 5:50 PM

melle1228 on January 22, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Speaking of Dana, wasn’t it she and Beck who gave cover to dumb Aiken, when he made his gaffes? I like her, but they aren’t the sharpest tool.

cimbri on January 22, 2016 at 5:51 PM

Buckshot Bill on January 22, 2016 at 5:50 PM

I was really surprised at the time, when Cruz went for H1Bs, high immigration, legalization of illegals, etc. He must have thought he would be running against all moderates and could finesse it during the primary season.

cimbri on January 22, 2016 at 5:54 PM

but they aren’t the sharpest tool.

cimbri on January 22, 2016 at 5:51 PM

I suppose we all feel that way when people disagree with us, when they agree, man did they ever get sharp!

Neitherleftorright on January 22, 2016 at 5:56 PM

It’s about credibility…

Mark Krikorian, a nationally recognized expert on immigration issues, has served as Executive Director of the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) since 1995. The Center, an independent, non-partisan research organization in Washington, D.C., examines and critiques the impact of immigration on the United States.

I basically agree with NR’s editorial and the symposium contributors that Trump’s not a conservative but a huckster and a narcissist. I prefer Cruz myself, though he has his own shortcomings, as do all the candidates. So in Virginia’s Super Tuesday primary March 1, I will not be voting for Trump.

voiceofreason on January 22, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Anti-ControI on January 22, 2016 at 5:38 PM

It depends on my mood, and who’s asking. Bazil9 seems cool, and has never been rude to me, or in general, as far as I’ve seen.

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 6:13 PM

It doesn’t change what they’re saying today, though.

jaime on January 22, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Nor does it lend it any credibility.

Athos on January 22, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 6:13 PM

When someone you don’t know extremely well (notice the emphasis on “extremely”? :D) asks/implies that you should trust their judgement, do you think it’s wise to do so? I certainly don’t… Experience has taught me that when someone requests you ‘back off’ for the sake of one of their friends, it’s rare when it’s done with the requestee’s best interests in mind.

Why do people even do that? I generally consider it a form of manipulation, even when the requester sincerely believes they’re being noble.

You’re free to disagree with me here, of course. ;)

Anti-ControI on January 22, 2016 at 6:42 PM

voiceofreason on January 22, 2016 at 6:01 PM

And that’s your prerogative.

I have the luxury to have until the first week of June to vote in my GOP primary. I remain steadfast that I will not vote for any primary candidate other than either Trump or Cruz. While I like Cruz a lot, I find myself leaning more and more to Trump at the present largely because of the vehemence (and largely hypercritical) rhetoric being directed at him by the GOPe – crowned by the NR’s “Special Edition”.

I may change my mind between Trump and Cruz before June – but my vote will be anti-establishment at its core. As Ace said today:

It’s a pretty sad day when Joy Reid of MSNBC makes more sense to me than National Review.

Check out her diagnosis (which mostly comes from moderate Republican turned liberalish independent Bruce Bartlett) at 6:45.

It’s accurate — the establishment/elite has been selling lies to everyone outside the donor class for years. They use their power to enact their own priorities into law, while telling the rest of us “it’s too hard” or “it will scare the moderates.”

And for years we went along with this.

Well, as she notes, the issue of immigration has caused this bargain — the elites get their actual agenda, everyone else gets lies and empty promises — to break down, probably forever.

You know, for years, I felt it was my duty to sell these shit sandwiches to readers for the Greater Good of winning elections.

I didn’t like doing it, but I thought that, for example, the War on Terror was too important to risk a rupture over other questions.

Although I’ve come to hate politics and I just despise reading the news now, the one good thing is that I’m liberated from splashing some ketchup on Sandwiches Made of Actual Shit and trying to sell them to people as tasty and healthful.

I feel liberated. I serve no “Greater Good,” as I don’t know that there’s a Greater Good to be served anymore. So I can just say exactly what I think.

And what I think is that the establishment has to be destroyed.

We will not be ignored, we will not be condescended to, we will no longer accept broken promises and lies as our payment for our service to the GOP.

And if it requires destroying the GOP and electing a Democrat to teach the establishment this lesson, to chastise them and to humble them, then we shall do just that, and do so happily.

You will either come to terms, or you will be destroyed.

Athos on January 22, 2016 at 6:43 PM

You’re free to disagree with me here, of course. ;)

Anti-ControI on January 22, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Your analysis is correct more often than not, but I have my reasons.

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 6:57 PM

Your analysis is correct more often than not, but I have my reasons.

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 6:57 PM

As one of your fellow anti-anti-Trumpers, I sure hope they’re good ones! :D

Anti-ControI on January 22, 2016 at 7:04 PM

As one of your fellow anti-anti-Trumpers, I sure hope they’re good ones! :D

Anti-ControI on January 22, 2016 at 7:04 PM

You can be sure of it!

Joseph K on January 22, 2016 at 7:11 PM

DT “Sure I have paid money to DNC politicians for business favors.

melle1228 on January 22, 2016 at 5:05 PM

The only thing to get, is that, facts and history don’t matter to true believers of any subject.

Mimzey on January 22, 2016 at 7:21 PM

electing a Democrat to teach the establishment this lesson

Sorry Ace…thats just dumb. “I’m sick of the way things have been going. Let’s elect that Mussolini guy. That’ll teach ’em to care about we the people more. What could go wrong?”

Mimzey on January 22, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Somebody has gotten into Glenn Beck’s liquor cabinet and adopted his storytelling abilities

Brock Robamney on January 22, 2016 at 7:57 PM

voiceofreason on January 22, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Clueless.. When you whine and complain that Trump is not a “conservative” do you realize he never said he was, and that he isn’t running as one? The RinoTimes has teamed up with the GOPe to take out Trump and Cruz. This is not exactly a revelation to Trump supporters

Brock Robamney on January 22, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Brock Robamney on January 22, 2016 at 8:09 PM

You do realize a great portion of trumps numbers consist of conservatives who thought trump was a conservative? And you do realize that the gop-e establishment, who conservatives loathe and trump is mirroring, is completely different than the NRO/conservative establishment, right? Or are you the clueless one?

voiceofreason on January 23, 2016 at 10:43 AM