Trump: Let’s face it, Ted Cruz trying to hide his Goldman Sachs loan is worse than Hillary

posted at 2:01 pm on January 20, 2016 by Allahpundit

What a strange soundbite for a Republican frontrunner, suggesting that his famously crooked would-be Democratic opponent has more integrity than the most conservative candidate in the race. Gosh, I don’t think even Mitch McConnell would say that. Not publicly, anyway.

This is a smear, by the way. He’s seizing on the revelation last week that Cruz never disclosed a margin loan from Goldman Sachs, where his wife works, during his first Senate run. That’s true, sort of — he never disclosed it to the FEC, which Cruz blamed on a “filing error.” But it’s not true that he never disclosed the loan publicly. Phil Kerpen dug up this form from Cruz’s filing with the Secretary of the Senate before the runoff with David Dewhurst in 2012.

The Goldman Sachs loan was noted by the media no later than June 2013, in a story by Roll Call. Trump wants you to believe that Cruz deliberately tried to withhold information about it from the public, but if that were true then obviously he would have omitted it from the Senate filing as well. It’s a smear. And the cherry on top, as you’re about to see, is Trump going out of his way to suggest that Cruz played dumb about the FEC filing the same way he supposedly played dumb about his Canadian dual citizenship. The first time I watched this, in fact, I thought Trump was suggesting that Cruz screwed up the filing because he’s a Canadian and doesn’t know American law. He couldn’t have meant that. Could he?

He’s saying this, by the way, at a moment when Clintonworld is under FBI investigation for possibly having traded government favors for donations to the Clinton Foundation. The Democratic frontrunner is being scrutinized by federal law enforcement for public corruption and Trump wants you to believe that Cruz is arguably the shadier operator of the two. Here’s a question to ask yourself the next time Trump accuses one of his opponents of being “owned” by special interests: Who would own Trump the politician if he hadn’t inherited many millions of dollars from his father to build a business that made him financially independent today? Between the two of them, Trump and Cruz, who’s the self-made man? Independence from donors is no trick when you started your career with a pile of money and then eagerly handed cash to crony politicians in both parties to make it grow. When Trump fans say he has balls, they’re right. It takes brass balls for this guy to accuse anyone else of cronyism.

Oh, by the way: Apparently, he’s now a hit in some sectors of the GOP donor class. Let’s see how long his insistence on not taking big money from the Chamber of Commerce set lasts. Exit question: Where’s Sarah? Wasn’t she supposed to be there with him today?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Elisa on January 20, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Rational Db8 on January 20, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Both good posts. +100

Well thought out responses that will be answered with:

“Lol ha ha ha!!11!!”

or

“Cruz is a boogieman, Goldman Sachs, liar, liar, nannie nannie boo boo.”

portlandon on January 20, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Wow. I’ve only read part of the thread, but at this point it’s going to be hard for me to vote for Trump in the general. I’ve voted GOP is every presidential election in my adult life, starting in 1976, but now I don’t see any difference between Trump and Hillary. They’re both hideous people of terrible character, and they’re both liberal crony types.

juliesa on January 20, 2016 at 8:13 PM

portlandon on January 20, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Good post yourself.

juliesa on January 20, 2016 at 8:14 PM

And you prefer slime ball b, to slime ball a, that’s all you are saying.

Wrong.

The one thing slime ball Trump is not– is the status quo. Trump is something truly different. … But he is not the same.

I disagree. He just puts the worst aspects of the status quo together on steroids. He lies like mad, he still supports many liberal/progressive/Democrat/socialist policies (big government, crony capitalism, single payer health care, violating the constitution, no private property rights, protectionism & tariffs, using government to quash political speech, Obama’s stimulus programs, etc.)

For better or worse. We are likely to have slime ball Trump as our next President. Because Obama and the GOP have crossed the Rubicon. They have taken us to a point where the public is so fed up with government they (we?) are willing to throw the dice and allow Trump to show his stuff.

Unfortunately that’s looking more and more likely, I agree.

If the country can survive Obama, it will be fine under Trump.

I’m not so such of that either. I sure prefer going with Cruz to try to move us actually back from the precipice, rather than rolling the dice with Trump.

What it wont’ survive is Hillary Clinton’s corruption… it won’t tolerate it another minute.

petunia on January 20, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Trump has been great friends with Hillary & Slick Willy for many years. Said she’s the best Secretary of State ever and would be a great president. Her best ad will be video of him singing her praises, followed by her gleefully exclaiming “I approve of this ad!”

Birds of a feather….

Rational Db8 on January 20, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Rational Db8 on January 20, 2016 at all day long

You are very good at this stuff. So good at it, I must assume that you are a professional debater. Which campaign are you working for, masterdebator?

LegendHasIt on January 20, 2016 at 8:51 PM

I couldn’t give a rip about personality, and personality has zip to do with my preference of Cruz over Trump. I prefer Cruz based on his policies and positions, his consistency, honesty, history, and fiscal and constitutional positions.

I don’t think Trump is a good candidate for president based on his lies, contradicting himself all the time, policy positions that are impossible to actually accomplish, pettiness, and demagoguery.

I can quite easily give evidence in depth on any of those issues for both candidates.

So sorry to burst your bubble, but there was no projection to my comment at all. It would have been very easy to use a similar crude rebuttal to easily top yours. I chose not to do so.

Rational Db8 on January 20, 2016 at 7:34 PM

What had I said to you?

Since I see you, a Cruzette, as the personality cultist between us, which your brain most undoubtedly will not process, I consider this as projection, a view into your humorless and ugly soul; you’re an unhappy liar, whom I smartly laugh at. lol :D

Anti-ControI on January 20, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Call me a prophet if you want! :D

Your denial doesn’t convince me, rather it only confirms what it said.

If you, an arrogant pr!ck, wish to persist, know that it only makes me laugh more… How much stamina do you have? ROFL! :D

Anti-ControI on January 20, 2016 at 9:13 PM

portlandon on January 20, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Good post yourself.

juliesa on January 20, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Watching you insecure bozos pat yourselves on each others’ backs is wonderfully entertaining. LOL :D

Anti-ControI on January 20, 2016 at 9:16 PM

LegendHasIt on January 20, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Thanks for the compliment, I think. I don’t work for any campaign, nor am I a professional debater. I’m a scientist/engineer.

Rational Db8 on January 20, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Anti-ControI on January 20, 2016 at 9:13 PM

And you think I’m unhappy? You’ve got psychological projection down pat yourself. All you’re doing is trolling.

Rational Db8 on January 20, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Rational Db8 on January 20, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Moron, you’re the one who initiated the conversation with me, remember? Why are you still talking to me if I’m only a troll? :D

I already knew you were an unhappy pr!ck who wasn’t interesting to me – I didn’t need to seek you out for further verification, which you’ve unwittingly and humorously been supplying here! ROFL!!! :DDD

Anti-ControI on January 20, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Anti-ControI on January 20, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Why are liberals so angry all the time?
Seeking insight.

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Why are liberals so angry all the time?
Seeking insight.

Flimzey on January 20, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Hey Irrational PseudoDB8, are you gonna call out Flimzey on her (ineffectual) trolling, or do you just reserve your complaining for “Trumpers”?

ROFL! :DDD

Anti-ControI on January 20, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Exit question: Where’s Sarah? Wasn’t she supposed to be there with him today?

Hopefully hiding in shame now that she has realized what she has done.

juliesa on January 20, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Amen. Trump is one of only two people (Bush being the other one) who could lose the election to Hillary. There is so little light between Trump and Hillary that truffles grow there.

Theophile on January 20, 2016 at 10:29 PM

ROFL! :DDD

Anti-ControI on January 20, 2016 at 10:25 PM

You’re proving my point. Let me refine that observation in case your feelings cloud your comprehension.

Why are people–with minds that function guided by liberal personality traits–angry all the time?

*not liberal causes..not liberal philosophy..liberal cognitive traits and their predictable reactions*

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Anti-ControI on January 20, 2016 at 10:05 PM

You’ve got real mental problems. It’s sad. I hope you get help.

Rational Db8 on January 20, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Flimzey on January 20, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Did I reply to you? :D

Do you enjoy typing to people that really don’t care what you say to them (FYI, I didn’t bother reading your whole boring, self-indulgent post! :D) because they believe you’re too stupid to spend their time indulging you? :D

Thanks for your obsession and the laughs, troll! ROFL! :DDD

Anti-ControI on January 20, 2016 at 11:00 PM

Does anyone think Trump isn’t owned by the banks that have saved his bacon time and again? He’s more beholden to Wall Street than any other candidate.

Question for the Trumpsters out there:

If Trump had to choose between saving his empire or America does anyone doubt he would save his ass first?

thesorcerer on January 20, 2016 at 11:04 PM

You’ve got real mental problems. It’s sad. I hope you get help.

Irrational PseudoDb8 on January 20, 2016 at 10:42 PM

From whom do I ‘need help’ – a delusional, poor-humored, arrogant pr!ck like you with boundary issues, whom I laugh at similar to the way I do Choomie?

You’re retarded, and a partisan hypocrite to boot… Are you Rafael Cruz by any chance? LOL :D

Anti-ControI on January 20, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Trump is just brawling now. Not exactly Commander in Chief material.

Kenosha Kid on January 21, 2016 at 1:10 AM

I don’t know which side of a position Trump’s on anymore since he doesn’t finish his sentences. He covers everything up with school yard bully slander against his opponents. Does he have a tax reform plan or an immigration plan beyond send them all back and let the good ones back in? He is a joke and a master con man. We’ve just suffered through 7 years of that.

Kissmygrits on January 21, 2016 at 8:47 AM

LOL Cruz maybe “self made” as you claim but what’s worrisome is that he’s corporate owned. Trump may have inherited a goodly sum but he turned it into a princely sum.

How much money a candidate personally has is not a factor with the voters rather it’s how much others have thrown in the pot who now own him/her.

Again, HotAir’s campaign against Trump is evident.

katablog.com on January 21, 2016 at 10:23 AM

No sane person even slightly informed can take arrogant dimwit Trumpkins seriously.

russedav on January 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM