John Kasich: I’m the prince of light and hope in this race, you know

posted at 3:21 pm on January 20, 2016 by Allahpundit

What is with this guy constantly congratulating himself for his own supposed virtue? In Ohio, he tells critics of his Medicaid expansion that St. Peter will want a word with them at the pearly gates. Two months ago, he went on Hugh Hewitt’s program and mused that he’s “sometimes … accused of having too big of a heart,” which is like saying at a job interview that your biggest flaw is that you’re a perfectionist. Here he is yesterday back on Hewitt and crowning himself a “prince of light and hope” in contrast with a prince of darkness, which, coming from anyone else, would be meant as a dig at Trump but coming from Kasich probably refers to all of his opponents. We’re two weeks away from him telling New Hampshirites that their election is a referendum on good and evil, with our hero naturally the embodiment of “good” and everyone from Trump to Rubio to Bush to Christie as part of some demon horde.

He certainly seemed sunny and hopeful when he was angrily interrupting everyone at the last five debates.

HH: Now I said after the last debate that you stayed very disciplined and presented a “I got the experience, been there, done that” message. Is that what is working in New Hampshire?

JK: Well, I think it’s some things . I think first of all, I have the experience and I’ve had success and I’ve been a reformer all lot my life. You can’t come from the [inaudible] rocks as you know Hugh, and not be a reformer, and I have a message – look, we have a lot of candidates who [are] like the “Prince of Darkness,” I consider myself the “Prince of Light and Hope” and I don’t spend all my time getting people riled up about how b ad everything is. I acknowledge the challenges, but then I said, come together, the Americans first, we can solve these problems. The people are hungry for that. People don’t want to have to live in the lane of depression. They want to believe that in America it would be fixed and all work, and I think it’s working. Look, I’ve been doing this for a long, long time. People weren’t paying attention and we’re rising right now. I don’t know what tomorrow will bring, but what I’m happy about is that we’re raising the bar, we have a positive message and many people come and say, “You represent hope.” What can be better than that?

That’s what they were supposed to be saying to Rubio at this stage of the race in New Hampshire, according to most forecasters. Oh well. As for yesterday’s bombshell, panic-making poll from ARG showing him at 20 percent in the state, I don’t want to freak everyone out but … there may be more evidence of Kasichmania about to drop.

I asked Guy for details and he wouldn’t give me numbers because the poll’s embargoed, but let’s just say that Kasich climbing may not be the only bad news for conservatives out of that poll. Stay tuned.

Exit question for anti-Trumpers: There’s now a small but nonzero chance that you may have to choose between Trump and, um, Kasich. Small because that would probably involve Trump beating Cruz handily in Iowa and then Kasich vastly outperforming the rest of the moderates to finish a strong second in New Hampshire, which is unlikely. But if it did happen, the storyline in South Carolina would have those two at center stage. Which way do you go? Suicide is always an option, I guess.

Comments

I’ll repeat my comment from the headlines…

I’m not sure who I despise more. This douchebag or Jon Huntsman.

Nineball on January 20, 2016 at 3:23 PM

He’s like Obama. Only more than just half white.

Which doesn’t improve things.

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Never has the dark side looked so tempting after hearing this.

NotCoach on January 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM

I’ll repeat my comment from the headlines…

I’m not sure who I despise more. This douchebag or Jon Huntsman.

Nineball on January 20, 2016 at 3:23 PM

You can’t top the delusional arrogance of ¡Jeb Bush!

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM

DanMan on January 20, 2016 at 3:26 PM

I’ll never vote for Kasich. I’d vote for Hillary first, even if she was in jail.

Zomcon JEM on January 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM

You can’t top the delusional arrogance of ¡Jeb Bush!

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Ok, he’s in the running too. LOL

Nineball on January 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM

I’m not buying that he’s actually “surging”.

Why would he be?

His debate performances have been atrocious.

Redstone on January 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM

John Kasich: I’m the prince of light and hope Hype and Dope in this race, you know

Fixed it for you Johnny.

RickB on January 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Getting drunk at bar named Excalibur doesn’t make you a prince.

Flange on January 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Drink heavily and go back to voting Libertarian. Maybe look into the Constitution Party.

rbj on January 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM

I’ll repeat my comment from the headlines…

I’m not sure who I despise more. This douchebag or Jon Huntsman.

Nineball on January 20, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Don’t you mean Garth Huntsman?

NotCoach on January 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Next for Kasich – learning to eat carefully with a fork

jake-the-goose on January 20, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Satan disguises himself as the prince of light. That you, kasich?

Kasich is nothing if not the prince of STUPID.

Andy__B on January 20, 2016 at 3:31 PM

The Prince of being obnoxious and self-righteous might be a better label. As much as I hate listening to Obama, I hate listening to this a-hole more.

bw222 on January 20, 2016 at 3:32 PM

Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!,” Kasich continued.

viking01 on January 20, 2016 at 3:33 PM

I’m not buying that he’s actually “surging”.

Why would he be?

His debate performances have been atrocious.

Redstone on January 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM

ONE poll doesn’t make a surge.

Except the one taken in the voting booth on election day.

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 3:33 PM

that ARG poll that HA touted the other day is a complete joke. the one that said Kasich was within 7 pts in NH. guess what, the same poll on the Dem side had a 20 pt narrower difference helping Clinton between the ARG poll and the much more respected CNN/WMUR poll there at the same time between the Dems.

iow, ARG is a false poll, an outlier, a biased-toward-Clinton outfit.

Senator Philip Bluster on January 20, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Next for Kasich – learning to eat carefully with a fork

jake-the-goose on January 20, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Learning which part of the knife he’s supposed to hold.

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 3:34 PM

The guy was Newt’s lieutenant in the House and he’s a popular governor in a state the GOP must win. I want to like him.

Unfortunately, however, he’s in Wall Street’s pocket and comments like the St. Peter one make me want to scream.

Deafdog on January 20, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Fixed it for you Johnny.

RickB on January 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM

I would have gone with Prince of Blight and Nope, but either way, it’s more accurate than Kasich’s own self-delusions.

JetBoy on January 20, 2016 at 3:35 PM

I’m not sure who I despise more. This douchebag or Jon Huntsman.

Nineball on January 20, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Huntsman’s worse.

Kasich is nauseating. Huntsman’s a quisling. The former is tolerable (barely), at least when compared to the latter.

Vyce on January 20, 2016 at 3:35 PM

And they shall call him: “Wonderful, Counselor, …, The Prince of Light and Hope” – Kasich’s Messiah.

Humility is not a Kasich virtue.

tominsd on January 20, 2016 at 3:37 PM

A thousand points of Kasich and Change.

You can keep your compassionate conservatism if you like your compassionate conservatism.

Oil Can on January 20, 2016 at 3:37 PM

I’m not sure who I despise more. This douchebag or Jon Huntsman.

Nineball on January 20, 2016 at 3:23 PM

There is no question: Kasich is the winner.

besser tot als rot on January 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Vyce on January 20, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Could not disagree with you more. Kasich thinks that he’s the voice of God. Listen to him attack people who don’t want to expand Medicare. The man has serious mental problems.

besser tot als rot on January 20, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Vyce on January 20, 2016 at 3:35 PM

besser tot als rot on January 20, 2016 at 3:40 PM

I agree, Huntsman changed uniforms, Kasich on the other hand still claims to be among us, waves a bible around and still stabs us in the back.

Rogue on January 20, 2016 at 3:45 PM

I don’t see how Kasich doing well in New Hampshire is good for the GOP establishment. In fact, it’s the worst thing imaginable(well, aside from Trump winning by 30).

Doughboy on January 20, 2016 at 3:46 PM

I know both of the polling outfits behind the last two polls Allah mentions. Both in this cycle have dealt with lack of responses from the people they have surveyed. Their are whispers that the WSUR poll had real problems both in the total and the time line which the poll was taken. Not surprising in which public polls have been totally discredited in this campaign cycle. There are rumors that an operation chaos was launched in relation to the WSUR poll. I don’t believe that for a second. Given how the public avoids polling like the plague, what’s the point. Well, it’s point one in the breakdown of political reporting in general.

flackcatcher on January 20, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Fishlips McChopchop 2016!

fossten on January 20, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Oh good lord. What are they smoking up there in NH.

evergreen on January 20, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Some people over think situations…

albill on January 20, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Obama 2.0

Which way do you go? Suicide is always an option, I guess.

As the Founders intended.

Aizen on January 20, 2016 at 3:51 PM

I’d give him a second look if I knew what his father did for a living.

butch on January 20, 2016 at 3:51 PM

I tend to place a high value on electability, and I’m not a Trump fan. But in a situation like that, I’d have to go with Trump. Why? Because pretty much everyone who would vote for Kasich in the general election already voted for McCain and Romney. That’s not enough to win the general election. Kasich certainly isn’t going to bring the nonvoting conservatives out of the woodwork, nor is he going to make a lot of headway with moderates who would otherwise vote for Hillary.

By contrast, nominating Trump seems to be a high-risk, high-reward strategy. He would attract some voters who would otherwise not have voted Republican. On the other hand, he would drive away some voters who otherwise would have voted Republican. So who knows, maybe he could win, but maybe he could lose much worse than McCain or Romney did. But at least I can see some kind of path to victory with Trump, whereas the upside with Kasich is just a respectable loss.

J.S.K. on January 20, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Well, if it’s Kasich, then put me down for Bernie or Hillary. As someone said, I’d vote for Hillary even if she’s in prison and for Bernie even if he’s in North Korea helping the little crazy dickhead.

they lie on January 20, 2016 at 3:55 PM

butch on January 20, 2016 at 3:51 PM

good one

Deafdog on January 20, 2016 at 3:55 PM

I’d give him a second look if I knew what his father did for a living.

butch on January 20, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Agreed, why is he so reluctant to bring this up?

Must be hiding something.

Redstone on January 20, 2016 at 3:55 PM

I understand Trump’s appeal. I don’t understand Kasich’s appeal.
Seriously, who are these people who support him? Has anyone here ever interacted with any of these people? I’m completely mystified.

Herod on January 20, 2016 at 3:57 PM

I refer to him as “Kaisich”. Stands for “little Kaiser”.

Rix on January 20, 2016 at 3:58 PM

He is the Prince of Idiocy.

He’s down the wallowing in the muck with Jeb.

bazil9 on January 20, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Agreed, why is he so reluctant to bring this up?

Must be hiding something.

Redstone on January 20, 2016 at 3:55 PM

lol, Mr Red.

bazil9 on January 20, 2016 at 4:00 PM

I understand Trump’s appeal. I don’t understand Kasich’s appeal.

Herod on January 20, 2016 at 3:57 PM

True Story,

My Uncle is a Dem..he watched the 1st R debate and told me he liked a candidate..I said who (couldn’t think) he said Kasich. There ya go.

bazil9 on January 20, 2016 at 4:03 PM

Which way do you go?

Trump. Might as well try to win in November.

Dukeboy01 on January 20, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Kasich: I’m Lucifer!

Killary's Server on January 20, 2016 at 4:05 PM

‘Prince of Light and Hope’?

I wouldn’t nominate him for Dogcatcher of Douchebagville.

Please God, let Iowa and New Hampshire crush the life from this overinflated RINO’s campaign.

orangemtl on January 20, 2016 at 4:08 PM

So one poll in New Hampshire will decide the fate of the world…?

Seven Percent Solution on January 20, 2016 at 4:10 PM

I understand Trump’s appeal. I don’t understand Kasich’s appeal.

Herod on January 20, 2016 at 3:57 PM

No snark…can you please tell me what the heck about Trump is appealing?

JetBoy on January 20, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Kasich: I’m Lucifer!

Killary’s Server on January 20, 2016 at 4:05 PM

As are all false messiahs.

Such as mohammed.

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 4:14 PM

No snark…can you please tell me what the heck about Trump is appealing?

JetBoy on January 20, 2016 at 4:12 PM

American greatness.

America for Americans.

NATIONALISM

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 4:15 PM

No snark…can you please tell me what the heck about Trump is appealing?

JetBoy on January 20, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Blunt, doesn’t take crap from the media, knows how to build things, track record of success, wants to kick out the illegals and prevent the muzzies.

That’s for starters.

fossten on January 20, 2016 at 4:15 PM

I think we’re being too hard on him. I mean, for a narcissistic, dyspeptic weasel who seems to be a cross between Dr. Gene Scott and Hong Kong Phooey, he’s actually an attractive fellow.

Mr. D on January 20, 2016 at 4:17 PM

That’s for starters.

fossten on January 20, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Considering we haven’t had a President like that since Eisenhower isn’t that enough?

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Mr. D on January 20, 2016 at 4:17 PM

He’s a cross between Barack HUSSEIN Obama and ¡Jeb Bush!

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 4:18 PM

For this Granite Stater, Kasich= No No No!
One Pompous self aggrandizing moralizing lecturer in a lifetime is one too. Christy and him… I will not put a check mark by their name.

NHElle on January 20, 2016 at 4:23 PM

American greatness.

America for Americans.

NATIONALISM

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 4:15 PM

bw222 on January 20, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Apparently Kasich wants to be Luke Skywalker.

WestVirginiaRebel on January 20, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Kasich is a kook. I’m still wondering why Ohio keeps rewarding us with pols like him and Boehner.

Mr. Arrogant on January 20, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Apparently Kasich wants to be Luke Skywalker.

WestVirginiaRebel on January 20, 2016 at 4:33 PM

So did John McCain if you recall his “Luke Skywalker” meltdown moment back in 2000.

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 4:35 PM

American greatness.

America for Americans.

NATIONALISM

ConstantineXI on January 20, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Okay. That’s something I really miss as well. This nation has become an embarrassment over the past 7 or 8 years under the current administration.

Slogans for bumper-stickers and hats are fine but they don’t affect the change we’re all looking for. So what exactly is Trump going to do to “Make America Great Again”? I know what he’s said…which IMO is rather scant. I personally see Trump as being able to get us fired up…but again, a catchy tagline is easy. An actual, acheiveable plan to bring it to fruition is quite another.

JetBoy on January 20, 2016 at 4:37 PM

New Hampshire Republicans have decided on an establishment Republican they think can win. How has that worked out for those dolts?

Valiant on January 20, 2016 at 4:40 PM

No snark…can you please tell me what the heck about Trump is appealing?

JetBoy on January 20, 2016 at 4:12 PM

For instance, I can see how Trump appeals to people who are tired of being called “racist” just because they believe there’s something wrong with Islam or because they think immigrants should come here legally.
Trump’s appeal, like Obama’s, is more visceral and emotion-based, so I can at least see where it’s coming from, even though I don’t share it.

Herod on January 20, 2016 at 4:43 PM

Say, didn’t I hear somewhere that his father was a mailman?

bofh on January 20, 2016 at 4:45 PM

That’s for starters.

fossten on January 20, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Cheers, thanks for the answer. I can certainly agree that Trump knows building things…he has quite a few buildings around Manhattan I see every day. And frankly, he should have been put in charge of rebuilding the WTC site. It would have been completed in less than half time it’s still taking. Unrelated, but having gone to Atlantic City many times, I never walked out of a Trump Casino with money in my pocket…but that’s another story :P

But a successful track record as a real estate magnate doesn’t exactly relate to anything a president does. And “kicking out illegals” isn’t as simple as Trump makes it sounds…not even close. I abhor Obama’s executive amnesty debacle, but Trump’s very generalized notion to “kick out” illegals is merely the other end of an irrational action.

And keeping Muslims out is the answer to nothing. If every Muslim in the world were truly supportive of terrorism, we’d all be long dead by now.

JetBoy on January 20, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Makes me wonder if the Trump campaign serves cookies at its events.

malclave on January 20, 2016 at 5:04 PM

bazil9 on January 20, 2016 at 4:03 PM

Just wondering: Is your uncle actually planning to vote for Kasich? Would he vote for him in November if it was Kasich vs. Hillary? Or does he just find Kasich less unappealing than he finds the other Republicans?

In 2011-12, I sometimes saw posts from Democrats who supposedly liked Jon Huntsman. Not enough to give him money for his campaign, or vote for him if it were Huntsman vs. Obama …. But they “liked” him!

J.S.K. on January 20, 2016 at 5:08 PM

John Kasich: I’m the prince of light and hope in this race, you know

May the force be with you, Obi-wan Kasich. Beware of Darth tRump.

Steve Z on January 20, 2016 at 5:12 PM

Valiant on January 20, 2016 at 4:40 PM

The fact that they keep getting to winnow the field for the rest of us is maddening.

evergreen on January 20, 2016 at 5:27 PM

It’s a mad, mad, mad world.

Sackett on January 20, 2016 at 5:28 PM

I live in SC. I plan to vote for Ted Cruz. If I were forced to choose between Trump and Kasich, though, it would be Trump by miles and Miles. I don’t need someone to tell me how virtuous he is with other people’s money.

NY2SC on January 20, 2016 at 5:30 PM

besser tot als rot on January 20, 2016 at 3:40 PM

He berates people and then expects them to vote for him. Madness.

talkingpoints on January 20, 2016 at 5:44 PM

The current messiah isn’t working out too well. Don’t see a need for another.

Deadeye on January 20, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Prince of Light = Lucifer. Just sayin’.

Rix on January 20, 2016 at 6:02 PM

you misspelled “dope” Johnny boy

johngalt on January 20, 2016 at 6:05 PM

He berates people and then expects them to vote for him. Madness.

talkingpoints on January 20, 2016 at 5:44 PM

Apparently it works in Ohio.

ElectricPhase on January 20, 2016 at 6:06 PM

He has a big heart…with other’s money. Twit.

CWforFreedom on January 20, 2016 at 6:09 PM

No snark…can you please tell me what the heck about Trump is appealing?

JetBoy on January 20, 2016 at 4:12 PM

extremely competent executive, smart, fearless, wants to work for the benefit of the american people instead of the entire world. Has a complete understanding of international economics and how bad the US is being played by China and others. Serious about securing the border, understands the threat of radical islam. never backs down from positions or gives weaselly answers when challenged. is actually good at politics unlike the entire GOP. isnt afraid of the media or the clintons. Doesnt waste time on losing cultural issues like gay marriage. Seems to understand that our government is bloated and needs trimming. Comes off as crazy enough to launch a nuke which goes a long way in geopolitics. as someone who is not “one of them” he has a complete lack of respect for the kabuki dance that is modern american politics.

he’s not a perfect candidate but he’s the best hope we have right now.

johngalt on January 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM

What a piece of work, he is. Kasich is a full-horned, snorting, sanctimonious RINO, and he is a joke.

Conservchik on January 20, 2016 at 6:22 PM

johngalt on January 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM

That website…is it something new?

CWforFreedom on January 20, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Apparently it works in Ohio.

ElectricPhase on January 20, 2016 at 6:06 PM

After the first election in Ohio I have sworn him off. I will never vote for him again. (I voted for him many times when he was my rep in Central Ohio)

CWforFreedom on January 20, 2016 at 6:58 PM

No snark…can you please tell me what the heck about Trump is appealing?

JetBoy on January 20, 2016 at 4:12 PM

I like Mr Trumps tax plan and according to Laffer is Reaganesque. It will bring down the debt and lowering taxes on the middle class is a needed and conservative stance(read his tax plan to see how much can be done). His plan to strengthen and rebuild the military is much needed and a conservative principle. Mr Trumps promise to take care of our veterans is admirable and I believe he will see that it gets done once and for all. Because Mr Trump is a jobs creator I have little doubt that his promise to bring back businesses to US and create jobs will be another conservative success. Most important to me is his pledge to build a wall and rid ourselves of those here illegally including the Muslims Obama is letting in without the benefit of vetting that can be relied upon. Nothing else will matter if Obama succeeds in changing the demographics in our Country to benefit the progressives. He is also a 2nd Amendment believer who will honor the second amendment and he also suggested that the right to carry laws should exist across state lines. He also pledges to protect religious liberty. These are just some of the things that make him an attractive candidate to me.

Conservalicious on January 20, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Heh. CNN/WMUR poll released.

Trump 34
Cruz 14
Rubio/Bush 10
Paul/Christie/Kasich 6

Kasich surge, eh?

bofh on January 20, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Somebody just blew out Kasich’s candle.

Somebody get him to the hospital he as Parkinson Shakes.

Nat George on January 20, 2016 at 7:58 PM

“Okay, but is that all? I mean, I’m not seeing much here to recommend the guy.”
–Jeb

orangemtl on January 20, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Trump 34
Cruz 14
Rubio/Bush 10
Paul/Christie/Kasich 6

Kasich surge, eh?

Time for another one of those “Second Look At Christie/Paul/Bush?” articles we’ve come to expect every few days from National Review, HotAir and other ‘loyal’ GOP sites.

orangemtl on January 20, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Isn’t that what we were all really thinking. Look, there goes the prince of light and hope! What a looney toon!

claudius on January 20, 2016 at 11:08 PM

johngalt on January 20, 2016 at 6:12 PM

That website…is it something new?

CWforFreedom on January 20, 2016 at 6:56 PM

thats funny ! I didnt notice that. i signed on here years ago and never posted until you guys started really aggravating the bejeezus out of me by acting like progressives and throwing tantrums over the donald pissing in your cornflakes.

Don’t make me AOL you with my dial up modem !

johngalt on January 20, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Kasich apparently is as narcissist the same as Obama. He is NOT the prince of anything, least of all of Light, but just maybe the Dark. Takes $2 million from GOP to make ads to bring down Trump. Yep, that is light sure enough. He has nothing to offer so should like Huckabee (nice man), Fiorina (nasty woman), Christi (the fat man), Rubio the amnesty lover), Santorum (nice guy), etc. and let’s get on with the show with Trump and Cruz to get America back on its feet.

Roselle on January 21, 2016 at 11:00 AM