Bob Dole: Bob Dole sees “cataclysmic” losses this year if Ted Cruz beats Donald Trump

posted at 9:21 pm on January 20, 2016 by Allahpundit

At some point during the past week I entered a Twilight Zone episode where constitutional conservative Sarah Palin thinks Donald Trump is the future of America and elder statesmen Bob Dole thinks Ted Cruz, more so than the third-party-flirting former Democrat Trump, is the one with the loyalty problem to the GOP.

Incidentally, didn’t this guy endorse Jeb Bush? Why is he talking up Trump here?

“I question his allegiance to the party,” Mr. Dole said of Mr. Cruz. “I don’t know how often you’ve heard him say the word ‘Republican’ — not very often.” Instead, Mr. Cruz uses the word “conservative,” Mr. Dole said, before offering up a different word for Mr. Cruz: “extremist.”…

But Mr. Dole said he thought Mr. Trump could “probably work with Congress, because he’s, you know, he’s got the right personality and he’s kind of a deal-maker.”…

“If he’s the nominee, we’re going to have wholesale losses in Congress and state offices and governors and legislatures,” said Mr. Dole, who served in the House and Senate for 35 years and won the Iowa caucuses twice. He described Mr. Cruz as having falsely “convinced the Iowa voters that he’s kind of a mainstream conservative.”

The only person who could stop Mr. Cruz from capturing the nomination? “I think it’s Trump,” Mr. Dole said, adding that Mr. Trump was “gaining a little.”…

Mr. Dole repeatedly said he was strongly supporting Jeb Bush, the former governor of Florida, although he acknowledged that Mr. Bush has had trouble gaining traction.

Cruz fans are going to spin this with a combination of the spins they used yesterday against Palin and Terry Branstad. Palin? A has-been! Branstad? An establishment RINO! Bob Dole: A has-been and an establishment RINO! Okay, but Bob Dole’s also a midwesterner, a war hero, and a man who won Iowa twice. It’s not so much that he’s going to swing a bunch of votes, I think, as that this is one more blow after Cruz has just absorbed a flurry. He’s getting hit from both sides right now — on the right from Palin and Trump, who’s pushing the idea that Cruz is a cronyist, and on the left from Branstad and Dole, who are pushing the idea that Cruz would be bad for business in Iowa and for the party as a whole. (Weirdly, the one-two punch of Palin and Dole is also absolution for Trump’s nasty POW crack about McCain last summer, in case that’s still on the mind of any hawkish voters.) He’s also getting hit by Rubio on national security and by Huckabee and Santorum on his social-con bona fides. That’s a lot of firepower to withstand at a moment when Cruz is not only basically alone in attacking Trump but establishmentarians like Branstad and Dole are signaling as strongly as they can that Trump is a respectable choice for Iowans to make. Lot of bad mojo here. It’ll be extra gratifying for Cruz if he out-maneuvers and out-organizes them all to win Iowa anyway, but he’s up against many diverse forces in the GOP suddenly coalescing against him. You know what he’s going to say tomorrow — “I admire Senator Dole but this is further evidence that the establishment prefers a Donald Trump victory in Iowa” — and that’s the right move (and increasingly plausible), but is it enough?

As for Dole’s pique at Cruz, I think it’s an amalgam of annoyances. One annoyance is the establishment/tea party divide. Another is personal butthurt at Cruz for having used him as an example in the past of Republican nominees who lost because they didn’t stand for conservative principles. And another, I’d guess, is irritation at how Cruz has behaved in the Senate. Dole is the gentlemanly deal-making Republican who served in an age of greater comity; Cruz is the insurrectionist. Said Dole of Cruz last month, “Achievements are shutting down the government twice, and calling the Republican leader, Mitch McConnell, a liar on the Senate floor. It violates the rules of the Senate. And he doesn’t have a single Senate supporter.” Cruz has offended Dole’s sense of institutional honor so he’d rather roll the dice on Trump. And in fairness to Dole, what he says about Trump being more willing to play ball with the Republican Congress is almost certainly true. That’s the real reason to fear Trump as president if you’re a conservative — not that he’s going to do something nutty but that, in order to fill his ideological void, he’s going to get rolled by Beltway Republicans. Trump will be a softer touch for centrist GOPers like Dole as president, especially given his centrist inclinations, and Dole not only knows it, he prefers him because of it.

Is it true that the GOP would suffer “cataclysmic” losses with Cruz at the top of the ticket but not with Trump, though? Trump can bring in more centrist Democrats than Cruz can, but Trump will have a problem in some disgruntled conservatives staying home that Cruz won’t have. There’s a strange asymmetry in perceptions of Trump’s and Cruz’s relative electability: The early read that Trump is a buffoon who could never win the general election has now been discarded by many, including apparently by Bob Dole, but the idea that Cruz is too extreme to win anything despite the fact that he’s run the best campaign of any Republican and would have a weak Democratic opponent soldiers on. Somehow Trump’s surprising campaign strength has shocked everyone into taking him seriously but Cruz’s surprising campaign strength is ignored as irrelevant in the general. Lefty Jonathan Chait looks at the two of them, assessing their relative liabilities, and says Republicans like Dole would be nuts to prefer Trump to Cruz as nominee:

But throwing in with Donald Trump is an extremely bad idea for Republicans. He is wildly unpopular among the public at large, and his mix of racism, misogyny, and flamboyant ignorance is perfectly calibrated to motivate and hold together the Obama coalition of minorities, single women, and college-educated whites. And even if he could somehow win a general election, a Trump presidency would be a white-knuckle ride for his party. Trump’s attitudes — a reverence for wealth and strength, contempt for losers of all kinds, and cultural nostalgia — may fit broadly within the GOP. But he has displayed little understanding of conservative theory, and no record of loyalty to the party. Republicans have little reason to believe Trump would expend political capital on their priorities, and less to believe he would stick to them in the face of adversity. (One analogue here might be Arnold Schwarzenegger, a cult-of-personality celebrity politician who won the governorship of California, grew deeply unpopular, and rescued his reputation by moving sharply to the center while infuriating the right.) Allowing Trump to have its nomination would saddle Republicans with the worst nominee any party has had in decades…

Cruz would stand a somewhat weaker chance of winning than Rubio, but the difference is really marginal. Cruz would not be the Establishment’s first or second choice to run atop its ticket, but he’s far from the disaster Trump would pose. He’s substantively a garden-variety right-winger. Cruz is the candidate who can harness cultural alienation, populist distrust of elites, and anti-immigration sentiment into safe channels — safe meaning something that could result in something less than the meltdown that would be a Trump nomination. If Republicans despise Cruz so much that they allow Trump to prevail, they are making a historic mistake and choosing the devil they don’t know over the one they do.

I think he’s underestimating Trump a bit but he’s dead on about Cruz. That figures like Dole would rather roll the dice on Trump makes me think they’re either continuing to sell Cruz short, which calls their political acumen into question, or they’d actually rather absorb a greater risk of losing with Trump than give Cruz a shot to win. Bad either way.

I’ll leave you with this, from 2013, since it’s circulating on conservative Twitter this afternoon:

Amnesty? I thought the position of Trump fans was no amnesty, period, whether there’s security first or not. Here’s Dole from last month laying into Cruz.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

If you’d pay attention I’m for all who are legally eligible to vote to do so in private and I don’t care what they decide.

It’s really, thank God, still up to each, to vote or not to vote.

Never been one to hector others on such important private decisions.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM

Well this is awkward. I just threw away all of my HotAir poster dossiers a couple of weeks ago.

Immolate on January 21, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Bump

Fox ran one of the fake Trump tweets, for real, this morning :)

The next debate will be tons of fun.

Cameron didn’t do his homework.

Immolate on January 21, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Why even have any. Google links every single comment.

Don’t care whom you or anyone votes for. I voted for Romney, after all the long fights, but I made my own decision, hard as it was.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2016 at 11:25 AM

With all this piling on against Cruz by various establishment types, I’m inclined to start supporting him more.

I would almost say it is a reverse-psychology campaign by the GOPe to help Cruz at the expense of Trump, but I don’t believe the GOPe has the intellect or the discipline to pull off such a scheme.

As an aside, while Dole may be a nice guy and he is a veteran, he embodies what was and is wrong with the GOP. This idea that “getting along” and “making deals” is the end-goal is absurd.

That’s why the left has beaten the right for decades. Even if you assume (which is a huge assumption based on little factual evidence) that the GOP is right-of-center and trying to obtain right-of-center votes, the left/DNC/media know that most of the GOP – particularly in the Senate – fear controversy and confrontation above all else and therefore won’t fight for anything. Thus, all the left/DNC has had to do is wait the GOP out and the GOP caves on every issue because they can’t handle not “getting something done”.

Dole is a perfect example of that mind-set. And this crazy idea of the Senate’s “collegiality”? that’s nonsense. It has never existed. DNC Senators have accused GOP senators, congressman, and Presidents of all kinds of atrocities, of being racist, sexist, etc., of wanting to kill old people. The idea that one has to show “decorum” is absurd.

I don’t want decorum. I want results. I don’t want collegiality – I want conservative results. I don’t want Senators to be buddies. I want conservative results.

Screw Dole and all those who think like him.

Monkeytoe on January 21, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Jeb!/Dole — 2016

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Fox ran one of the fake Trump tweets, for real, this morning :)

The next debate will be tons of fun.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Since I don’t watch the news and have no idea what they consider to be newsworthy anymore, I entertain myself by trying to imagine what a tweet that was too outrageous for Trump would have to look like. Did he tweet a hentai link or side with NAMBLA on something?

Immolate on January 21, 2016 at 11:30 AM

What does a google, bing, yahoo, Mozilla search of

“FEC news”

bring up today?

Is Texas a community property state?

Are stocks held in one name or both names?

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 21, 2016 at 11:30 AM

As a person of Texas, one side native America and the other a Prussian officer who was given a Captains rank in the Union Army and after the war he settled in Texas and married the Apache who at the time was in a “Indian School” in Paris Tx. I got the Texas thing.

Ted Cruz forgot the most important thing , not in law books, in the culture.

“Don’t Mess With Texas.”

Now these loan things, not reporting the loans, getting on stage and telling us they used their “own funds” to fund the campaign and them asking us to help them due to the “own funds” in the deal.

He messed with Texas.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Don’t mess with Bob Dole.

SpongePuppy on January 21, 2016 at 11:44 AM

I’m hoping the GOPe saw some scary Cruz polls, and are trying to crush him now before the SEC primary.

Iblis on January 21, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Bob Dole. Who cares? So what? The problem here is the institutionalization of the political parties as being truly representative of their constituents. They ARE NOT.

The concern should be for the citizens of this once great nation, not the survival or health of Republican and Democrat parties.

Political parties are disgusting beasts of complete narcissism.

electricfunksandwich on January 21, 2016 at 11:46 AM

On Saturday evening, Glenn Beck apologized for falsely claiming—based on a photoshopped hoax Tweet from faketrumptweet.com—that GOP frontrunner Donald Trump voted for Barack Obama in 2008.

You associate with Beck, you are him.

They all want what’s “good for you“.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Not being combative, but I will not click a link to understand someone’s argument. Summarize it yourself and include that summary in your post. Others might share my feelings on this.

Immolate on January 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM

You clicked a link to come to this article to become informed. You can click a few more to go to other articles to become even more informed. The fact you CHOOSE to remain ignorant speaks volumes.

Over the last six months I have summarized my argument dozens and dozens of times across dozens and dozens of articles. I have no more breath left for someone who CHOOSES to remain ignorant.

Go read those links, or go find my summaries from past HA comments.

dominigan on January 21, 2016 at 11:54 AM

The conservative media knows who pays their bills. And it is not a conservative nationalist.

NWConservative on January 20, 2016 at 11:21 PM

Probably one of the stupidest comments I’ve ever read here.

Garym on January 21, 2016 at 12:21 AM

NWConservative is actually right on the money with this one.

Else how do you explain a site like RedState being okay with Rubio as nominee but not Trump? Despite Rubio’s betrayal of the base on an issue as important as immigration? And Rubio being a big donor puppet?

RedState: But but… he honored our invitation to come speak at the RedState Gathering.

That tells you all.

Erick and his minions were salivating at the thought of being invited to the White House by a President Jeb or Rubio. And having access to power.

Trump took it away hence their insane TDS.

TheRightMan on January 21, 2016 at 11:56 AM

One thing Bob Dole knows is cataclysmic election losses – first hand.

PJ Emeritus on January 21, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Good news for Cruz –

Two polls in IA show Trump and Cruz tied. One has Cruz +2 and one has Trump +1.

This next debate is going to be a slugfest. There WILL be blood.

And then –

Election night is going to be yuge.

Probably the biggest most watched state primary EVER!

all this for one state and then , whatever happens, Trump wins NH and SC and runs the table. And destroys Biden in a landslide.

BoxHead1 on January 21, 2016 at 12:01 PM

My favorite quote from Davos, where every attendee KNOWS EVERYTHING and makes the world run so well because of their expertise:

“If you bother to read some of the serious analysis of Trump’s support, you realize that it’s a very fragile thing and highly unlikely to deliver what he needs in the crucial first phase of the primaries,” said Niall Ferguson, Laurence A. Tisch professor of history at Harvard University. “By the time we get to March-April, it’s all over. I think there’s going to be a wonderful catharsis, I’m really looking forward to it: Trump’s humiliation. Bring it on.”

Any recent students of Prof. Ferguson want a refund???? He apparently doesn’t believe his lyin’ eyes:

fred5678 on January 21, 2016 at 12:07 PM

… Bob Dole’s also a midwesterner, a war hero

What the… ? What in the HELL does his being an ancient war hero have to do with, literally ANYTHING ?

Am I honestly supposed to re-consider my own conservative values because Bob Dole is a “war hero” and opposes Ted Cruz ?

There is so much idiocy wrapped up in that idea I can hardly understand what the point even is.

deadrody on January 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Go read those links, or go find my summaries from past HA comments.

dominigan on January 21, 2016 at 11:54 AM

+1000

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:09 PM

fred5678 on January 21, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Made my day.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2016 at 12:10 PM

so much idiocy

deadrody on January 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Yep, you’re so right.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2016 at 12:12 PM

….Trump wins NH and SC and runs the table. And destroys Biden in a landslide.

BoxHead1 on January 21, 2016 at 12:01 PM

You just spoiled the suspense. Why bother watching anymore? I guess I’ll cancel my popcorn order now. :)

After Hillary gets indicted by Lynch’s replacement (after Lynch refuses to indict), Debbie Wasser… realizes they can’t run a Socialist against a Capitalist, draft Joe and Trump wins 58 states.

Tulsa — Tulsa — Tulsa!!!

fred5678 on January 21, 2016 at 12:13 PM

I question his allegiance to the party…

Works both ways Bob, we see the party’s contempt for us when he we call them on their actions vs their campaign promises.

DanMan on January 21, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Go read those links, or go find my summaries from past HA comments.

dominigan on January 21, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Aren’t you the rules nazi? I choose to remain ignorant of what you can’t be bothered to say.

Immolate on January 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Good news for Cruz –

Two polls in IA show Trump and Cruz tied. One has Cruz +2 and one has Trump +1.

This next debate is going to be a slugfest. There WILL be blood.

And then –

Election night is going to be yuge.

Probably the biggest most watched state primary EVER!

BoxHead1 on January 21, 2016 at 12:01 PM

No it is really not. Monmouth had Trump at 19% last time and now he’s at 25%. That is a six point jump in a month. Cruz went up 3% from 24% to 27%.

Loras last had this race with Cruz at 30% and Trump at 23%. A seven point Cruz lead. And now it shows an EIGHT POINT SWING, resulting in a 26% Trump and a 25% Cruz.

Cruz is going the wrong way.

He’s another flavor of the month candidate, he peaked too early in December and is on the way back down.

Next up, Rubio for the next flavor of the month.

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM

I choose to remain ignorant

Immolate on January 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM

That’s all we needed. Thanks.

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:16 PM

My recent image of Cruz is of one beaten and broken, limping forlornly along some deserted Iowa back road. I really thought he and Sarah were tight. And then the ridiculous bashing of him for his tame “New York values” comment. And finally, this last week his campaign was just beginning to blossom, to come into its own, standing up as his own man, criticizing Trump, gaining in the polls, everyone saying it’s a two man race. Then he gets punched in the face two, three, four times in a week. He has to be trying to catch his breath at the moment.

/standing 8 count

LashRambo on January 20, 2016 at 9:32 PM

Still comes down to how he actually does in Iowa, doesn’t it ?

In a dead heat between Trump and Cruz in Iowa, after all the attacks Cruz is weathering now, what if he STILL wins Iowa ? Then what ?

I’m down for Trump at the moment, but would whole-heartedly support Cruz. If he manages to come out in front in Iowa after all this, I might even consider switching to Cruz.

Not that it will matter in NY anyhow.

deadrody on January 21, 2016 at 12:17 PM

+1000

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:09 PM

-1001

Net result, -1. That’s transactional politics for you.

Immolate on January 21, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Heck of a race. Never seen anything like it. I trust none of them.

paul1149 on January 21, 2016 at 12:17 PM

NWConservative is actually right on the money with this one.

That tells you all.

Trump took it away hence their insane TDS.

TheRightMan on January 21, 2016 at 11:56 AM

No Garym is right. His opinion, sans facts, is the right one.

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:18 PM

He messed with Texas.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM

I’m 5th generation Heinz57 Texan and it doesn’t bother me at all.

DanMan on January 21, 2016 at 12:18 PM

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM

ROTFLMAO!!! Do you not sense any irony at all claiming the same thing about Cruz that has been claimed about Trump for months ?

Hysterical.

Again, I support Trump, but Cruz is a very strong candidate from a true conservatism standpoint. He’s not going anywhere, especially in Iowa.

deadrody on January 21, 2016 at 12:20 PM

-1001

Net result, -1. That’s transactional politics for you.

Immolate on January 21, 2016 at 12:17 PM

You forgot

Net result +1.

That is what happens when you choose to be willfully ignorant.

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Hysterical.

deadrody on January 21, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Trump has been in the lead for months. Cruz has not.

He spiked in December and is on the way back down. He peaked too early. His supporters are not set in stone like the majority of Trump supporters are. They are the not-Trumps and are starting to move to the next not-Trump, Rubio or, I can’t believe I’m saying this, Kasich.

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Next up, Rubio for the next flavor of the month.

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Unfortunately for Rubio, anytime he comes up as the flavor of the month… people boycott the “restaurant” altogether.

They just can’t get past that sour amnesty taste.

Hence the GOPe entering ultra-panic mode. Save us Jeb Fiorina Carson Cruz Christie Kasich… anyone else?

TheRightMan on January 21, 2016 at 12:24 PM

fred5678 on January 21, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Made my day.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2016 at 12:10 PM

(blushes)

I disagree – Trump is making our day — EVERY DAY.

SO. MUCH. FUN.

Another quote from the Bloomberg report on Davos — two more “masters of the universe”:

“Unfortunately I do think that if there were to be a Trump administration the casualty would likely be trade,” said Eric Cantor, a former Republican House Majority Leader and now vice chairman of Moelis & Company. “That’s a very serious prospect for the world.”

Cantor said he doesn’t think Trump will make it through the primaries, a common theme among Davos attendees who nevertheless are still talking about him. Trump’s positions –like a “temporary” ban on Muslims entering the country and the building of a wall on the Mexican border — are earning him opprobrium in the mountain resort.

He has also railed at the loss of U.S. jobs to overseas competitors, and on Tuesday said that as president he would “get Apple to start building their damn computers and things” in the U.S., instead of China.

“former” ha ha ha.

A Trump administration would be a “disaster,” according to Beth Brooke-Marciniak, global vice chair of public policy at Ernst & Young LLP and a former adviser to the U.S. Treasury in the Clinton administration.

“who nevertheless are still talking about him” — Trump is inside their heads — 24/7.

fred5678 on January 21, 2016 at 12:27 PM

They just can’t get past that sour amnesty taste.

TheRightMan on January 21, 2016 at 12:24 PM

LOL. True.

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:28 PM

You associate with Beck, you are him.

They all want what’s “good for you“.

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Awesome, so Trump is Clinton, Obama and Palin. Also, Palin is her children and John McCain. And some French guy.

Cruz is Beck. Beck is an idiot. Paul Reubens is also an idiot, so Cruz is a chronic masturebater and Trump is John Kerry.

Guilt by association is an ad hominem fallacy.

Immolate on January 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Boy wont we all be surprised when it’s President Bernie.

Neitherleftorright on January 21, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Well, if Bob Dole says it, that seals the deal for me:
CRUZ – 2016!

Another Drew on January 21, 2016 at 12:32 PM

I choose to remain ignorant…

Immolate on January 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Yes you do, as I stated earlier. Thank you for agreeing with me.

And your points don’t count since you again CHOOSE to remain ignorant. Come back after reading and maybe we’ll reinstate your point scoring rights. Until then you are dead weight.

dominigan on January 21, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Heck of a race. Never seen anything like it. I trust none of them.

paul1149 on January 21, 2016 at 12:17 PM

A++

fallacy.

Immolate on January 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Schadenfreude on January 21, 2016 at 12:42 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 21, 2016 at 11:10 AM

They already did. I’m pretty sure you even commented on that thread.

Otherwords, it is so complicated even the FCC doesn’t understand their rules.

right2bright on January 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM

Which is yet one more reason to be conservative (iow, to not trust the gov’t).

GWB on January 21, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Cruz is going the wrong way.

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:15 PM

O my bad.

I didn’t even check the polling outfits. I just read the Rightscoop propaganda.

Talk about a joykill.

Fred and I have a popcorn glut now.

BoxHead1 on January 21, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Choices

Beck
Barton

Decisions

Not to report the Goldman Sacks , CITI loans.

Results:

Not so good.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 21, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Yes you do, as I stated earlier. Thank you for agreeing with me.

dominigan on January 21, 2016 at 12:41 PM

+1000

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:47 PM

“cataclysmic”, indeed.

I love the smell of running the table in the morning.

fred5678 on January 21, 2016 at 12:48 PM

O my bad.

I didn’t even check the polling outfits. I just read the Rightscoop propaganda.

Talk about a joykill.

Fred and I have a popcorn glut now.

BoxHead1 on January 21, 2016 at 12:43 PM

It is not good for him. The direction of the polling is bad for Cruz and is coming at the worst possible time.

NWConservative on January 21, 2016 at 12:48 PM

I’m still baffled as to why Iowa matters a whit in who becomes the candidate. It’s a one-note state in many ways, it hasn’t predicted the winner of the general in ages, and it’s – for Republicans – not even a particularly conservative state. Why do we care so much how they vote, again?

(I would think this would be one of the big anti-establishment points. Iowa position is thoroughly an establishment one, as far as I can see.)

GWB on January 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM

I had a thought, how many former politicians from Washington went back to their states and how many stay in DC. Is Bob Dole one of 200 former politicians that live in McLean or Bethesda? It would be funny to see how many senators you could argue are from Chevy Chase or Potomac or such places.

timoric on January 21, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Is Trump, the deal maker, really anti-establishment?

Donald Trump defending Mitch McConnell, you ask? The answer is yes, and the explanation may be found by examining Trump’s recent history as a political donor.

Back in early 2013, Tea Party conservatives, fed up with McConnell’s feckless (to be generous) Senate leadership, his semi-tough talk that never seems to match his legislative decisions and results, and his relentless suppression of the conservative minority in the Senate, sought to supplant this establishmentarian’s establishmentarian by supporting a conservative rival in the 2014 Kentucky primary.

In response to this challenge, a super PAC called “Kentuckians for Strong Leadership” was formed to raise funds for McConnell’s scorched earth campaign against not only his own Tea Party rival, but the whole Tea Party movement. I put the group’s name in scare quotes because, of its fifty-eight major donors — those who had given $1000 or more as of May 15, 2014 — the Louisville Courier-Journal identified only five with Kentucky addresses. “Kentuckians for Strong Leadership” was in fact, as Tony Lee reported at Breitbart at the time, a re-branding of Karl Rove’s American Crossroads, an organization expressly dedicated to destroying the constitutionalist movement in favor of the old guard GOP establishment.

The big donors to Mitch McConnell’s anti-Tea Party defense fund gave amounts ranging from $1000 to $250,000. In the upper half of this donor list appears one Donald J. Trump, who gave $50,000 to the group. Five days earlier, he had already donated a few thousand dollars to McConnell’s campaign directly. This total donation is far and away the largest contribution Trump has ever made to any individual Washington politician’s campaign — at least ten times larger than any other contribution he has made to a national Republican candidate.

TarheelBen on January 21, 2016 at 1:05 PM

TRUMPe?

Oxymoron on January 21, 2016 at 1:12 PM

I’m still baffled as to why Iowa matters a whit in who becomes the candidate.
GWB on January 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM

In this primary, if Cruz doesn’t win Iowa his campaign is in very serious trouble. Likely done, actually. Trump is so far ahead in the next several stops that a catch up on the back end would either be too little too late without a single victory for any momentum change.

anuts on January 21, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Donald Trump is not “widely unpopular” with the population. ?? I have no idea where that factoid comes from.

I think BOTH SIDES are fed up with their party. I see Donald Trump as a conservative more than liberal but I see him even MORE as an independent saying SCREW OFF to all the nonsense happening in Washington.

Donald Trump loves his country. He loves capitalism. He does not have a GOD complex like George Soros. He has no “yes men” rubbing his feet like Obama.

Does he say crazy stuff? Does he act out? Of course he does. Does the news media destroy him? I haven’t seen the news media destroy him yet.

In a perfect world Scott Walker would be the nominee right now. Unfortunately, we have to deal with what we got. The only viable option out there is Donald Trump.

MomofFour on January 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM

anuts on January 21, 2016 at 1:17 PM

But you didn’t answer “why”? That’s the way it works – but solely because of the establishment of Iowa as the key, somehow. Why should anyone care what Iowa thinks when it comes to their state? (Yes, a lot of that is bandwagon building by the media – because people like to back a winner.)

MomofFour on January 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM

I’ll agree with the first two. The third is not as evident as some might think.

GWB on January 21, 2016 at 1:33 PM

TarheelBen on January 21, 2016 at 1:05 PM

If you were about to throw your hat into the ring, why wouldn’t you contribute to the Sen. Majority Leader’s campaign? You’d be a fool not to buy some influence. Even if that influence was keeping him on the side lines.

they lie on January 21, 2016 at 1:52 PM

they lie on January 21, 2016 at 1:52 PM

He did more than just donate to McConnell’s campaign. The big money went to this super PAC that had the purpose of defeating the tea party movement.

Add this to the fact that Trump is now attacking Cruz from the GOPe position – that Cruz doesn’t work and play well with the establishment – and the fact that one after another career Washington politician are saying they prefer Trump over Cruz.

TarheelBen on January 21, 2016 at 5:35 PM

He messed with Texas.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Cruz had previously disclosed his loans publicly, apparently on some Senate disclosure, but not on the FEC reporting. That omission could easily be inadvertent rather than deceptive.

I don’t know why a loan, which he is obliged to pay back with “his own money,” doesn’t qualify as his own money. Loans are not donations.

cheeflo on January 22, 2016 at 1:57 PM