Video: Remember when Barack Obama said we couldn’t just drill our way to lower gas prices?

posted at 8:01 pm on January 19, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

Here’s a fun item for a Tuesday rather than the normal gloom and doom. Do you recall a couple of years ago when filling up your car required a loan application form? And during the debates over fracking, pipelines and all the rest, do you remember the many, many times when President Obama assured us that we couldn’t just drill out way to lower gas prices? Just as a reminder, here’s a snippet from one of the speeches he gave in Florida back in 2012. (Tampa Bay Times)

“Now, some politicians always see this as a political opportunity. You’re shocked, I know,” Obama says in prepared remarks. “Last week, the lead of one news story said, “Gasoline prices are on the rise, and Republicans are licking their chops.” Only in politics do people greet bad news so enthusiastically. You pay more, and they’re licking their chops? And you can bet that since it’s an election year, they’re already dusting off their three-point plans for $2 gas. I’ll save you the suspense: Step one is drill, step two is drill, and step three is keep drilling. We heard the same thing in 2007, when I was running for President. We hear the same thing every year. We’ve heard the same thing for thirty years.

“Well the American people aren’t stupid. You know that’s not a plan – especially since we’re already drilling. It’s a bumper sticker. It’s not a strategy to solve our energy challenge. It’s a strategy to get politicians through an election. You know there are no quick fixes to this problem, and you know we can’t just drill our way to lower gas prices.”

Yeah… two dollar gas. Like that’s going to happen. What a bunch of maroons. Those Republicans are just trying to prop up their billionaire buddies in the oil and gas industry and play you for suckers. Two dollar gas? Don’t make me laugh.

GasPrices2

Here’s a brief video from some of my friends at Energy InDepth which I thought you all might enjoy. It’s a quick walk down memory lane, bringing us to the current state of affairs.

Please take note of the final clip from Obama in that video. It was a major campaign theme of his. “Anybody who tells you otherwise either doesn’t know what they’re talking about or they aren’t telling you the truth.”

Fair enough, sir. Which was it when you said the opposite? Were you lying or just clueless? Here’s another interesting factoid to go with this particular data set. Not only did we drill our way to two dollar gas and below, but it wasn’t doing the energy companies any favors. They’ve had to lay off workers and some smaller outfits are going out of business because supply exceeds demand right now. That’s not great news for shareholders, but it’s also just basic capitalism in action. At the moment it’s working in the consumer’s favor big time. That’s how actual capitalism has always worked and that’s how it works today. Kind of shocking, the number of liberals who can’t seem to grasp that.

ObamaDrill

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Gas is cheap because the economy is in a free fall, worldwide PERIOD!! Uncivil Intercourse can talk about ODS all she wants. But the fact is, all of the jobs being created in this country are low skilled, part time jobs.Manufacturing is down. We could frack a billion gallins a day of oil and if there was a demand for it, the price would still be high. Sh!tty economy= no demand= low prices. Uncivil intercourse can ramble all she wants but it doesnt change the facts.

Indiana Jim on January 20, 2016 at 8:36 AM

HumpBot
Also, your reading comprehension.

CivilDiscourse on January 19, 2016 at 11:23 PM

Both my blood pressure and reading comprehension is jut fine.

Everyone here can see what a lying, disingenuous piece of excrement you are. Sorry for it.

HumpBot Salvation on January 20, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Everyone here give obama a round of applause or SyphilisDischarge will whine about ODS.

HumpBot Salvation on January 20, 2016 at 8:41 AM

CD. Bet you were b!tching mightily when gas was 4 bucks a gallon under bush. Remember?? The economy was booming!! I am a small business owner. I remember that too. I wasnt happy paying that much but i knew i was making up for it by getting a lot of business BECAUSE THE ECONOMY WAS BOOMING!! you idiot. Now im lucky enough to have downsized my business because there is less demand for my work, BECAUSE THE ECONOMY THAT OBAMA CREATED SUCKS.!!! you idiot. So im paying less for gas now, big fcuking deal, theres less work. Youre really not that stupid, civil discourse, are you?????

Indiana Jim on January 20, 2016 at 8:53 AM

I swear, obama is wrong on just about everything economic. Just get a broad based injunction again anything he does. Now and until the end of the year.

jake49 on January 20, 2016 at 11:47 AM

The FACT, Schaef is that oil PRODUCTION is up nearly 90% domestically since the president took office.

Because of ROI on drilling started up years ago. Does not change the fact that new and even renewed drilling is restricted now more than ever.

The moratoriums on drilling (particularly after the Gulf oil spill) didn’t have the disastrous, the-sky-is-falling effects we heard from the right that they would.

Because of the fracking boom and its impact on oil demand. I covered this already. It’s not because of new drilling policies, and it’s not because our demand for energy in general has mysteriously vanished.

That’s called spin, pure and simple. And I merely called it out on this thread.

It’s called facts. Everything I have noted above is factual, not spin, and I’m not the first one to say a lot of it.

And what you “called out” was an accusation about how other people would behave in different circumstances, without providing any evidence to support your attack on their character (not their facts).

As for civility and discourse, I invite you to look through some of the comments here, especially a few of the ones above this one, and by all means, let’s you and I keep pretending I’m the uncivil commenter.

CivilDiscourse on January 19, 2016 at 10:57 PM

I’m not sure what it is about making accusations against people’s character, and mocking their reading comprehension, that you would defend as civil.

Maybe they are and maybe they aren’t. What they say and do has no impact on the truth of what you say and do. And they generally don’t stamp it on their forehead by making it their on-site moniker.

So you can live up to your namesake or you can acknowledge that it’s a deliberately-chosen irony.

The Schaef on January 20, 2016 at 12:31 PM

The Schaef on January 20, 2016 at 12:31 PM

…as I hang my head in shame for not having been grumpy enough.

I think I have the old down pat though, and my gut has been bothering me the last few days, so as it happens I have all the farts you could ask for. I have farts to loan out, farts to give as party favors, farts to donate those too poor to have their own.

GrumpyOldFart on January 20, 2016 at 1:06 PM

OPEC gleefully claims to have managed to kill our shale oil industry. They were not quite single-handed though, Obama killed the pipeline so that helped as well.

evie1949 on January 20, 2016 at 2:10 PM

You may have ALOT of farts, but are they GRUMPY?? :-D

Indiana Jim on January 20, 2016 at 2:40 PM

The Schaef on January 20, 2016 at 12:31 PM

…as I hang my head in shame for not having been grumpy enough.

GrumpyOldFart on January 20, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Seriously, Schaef—the screen name? That’s what’s tripping you up? You can continue to pretend that your brand of commenting restraint bears any resemblance to the majority of HA commenters. It self-evidently does not. And really, from now on spare me the whining about attacks on some babbling, screaming ODS-bots’ character. It’s boring.

CivilDiscourse on January 20, 2016 at 3:16 PM

And, as a point of FACT, since you’re so interested in those, and definitely not cherry-picked items that serve your political point, Schaef, the FACT is that current production is up in largest part because of improved refining technology, not on roi from drilling a decade ago. That doesn’t quite fit the narrative that drill, drill, drill is the only way to go, though, so . . .

CivilDiscourse on January 20, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Uncivil Intercourse. *Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn*.

Indiana Jim on January 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM

GrumpyOldFart on January 20, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Also, GOF, you have one of the best nicks on here. I seem to recall there’s a little old lady as well, but I can’t remember exactly . . .

CivilDiscourse on January 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM

When you end your post with “so…….”, youve lost the argument. Cant……stop……laughing……at…..you..

Indiana Jim on January 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Indiana Jim on January 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Yes, Jim, I still think you’re cute.

CivilDiscourse on January 20, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Seriously, Schaef—the screen name? That’s what’s tripping you up?

CivilDiscourse on January 20, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Is it unreasonable to think someone who chooses to call themselves “CivilDiscourse” should be more civil and more willing to engage in discourse than the average?

From where I sit, I’d call you no better than the middle of the pack, at best, for civility and less willing to engage in discourse than most.

Are you saying “CivilDiscourse” is like a trade name, basically a sales pitch rather than a mission statement, like “The Honest Company”?

GrumpyOldFart on January 21, 2016 at 7:49 AM