Trump on Cruz’s “rough temperament”: You can’t call your leaders liars on the Senate floor

posted at 4:01 pm on January 19, 2016 by Allahpundit

Golly, I thought populists liked it when Cruz did that. Now it turns out that type of insolence is a liability in a president. Frankly, that attitude sounds … establishment-y.

I guess it’s time for the “Donald Trump scolding other people for incivility” act of this circus.

Donald Trump bashed Ted Cruz’s “temperament” and defended his presidential campaign’s ground game during an appearance Tuesday at the John Wayne Birthplace Museum.

“Ted has got a rough temperament, you can’t call people liars on the Senate floor when they are your leaders. Not a good thing to do if you want to curry favor and get the positive votes later on own,” Trump said.

“Ted is worried about his temperament, people are talking about his temperament. I haven’t talked about his temperament but he’s got to be careful because his temperament has been questioned a lot.”

While Trump is busy hitting Cruz on intangibles, Cruz is hitting Trump on amnesty:

“I like Donald Trump, I respect him personally, and in this campaign he’s talked a lot about illegal immigration and amnesty,” Cruz told the crowd. Going on to detail the 2013 immigration reform battle in Congress — legislation he opposed — Cruz continued, “We were on the verge of losing this fight, and 12 million people here illegally would be granted amnesty. And yet when that fight was being fought, Donald was nowhere to be found.”

Prodding further on an issue that is central to Trump’s campaign, Cruz continued, “If you didn’t stand up and fight amnesty when the stakes were live or die, when the stakes were, ‘Do we lose this permanently or do we win?’ then I would suggest as voters you have reason to doubt the credibility of the promises of a political candidate who discovered the issue after he announces for president.”

Some Trump fans on social media laughed at Cruz for the idea that a private citizen could have done anything meaningful to fight the Gang of Eight bill when it was simmering in the Senate. I don’t know: Any Sarah Palin fan would insist that she’s done lots of good agitating against Obama’s initiatives and mobilizing grassroots conservatives over the years since she left office. The prestige of conservative talk radio is based on the same idea, that an effective communicator with a giant media megaphone can move opinion. How many private citizens in the United States had the sort of omni-partisan media reach that Trump had back in 2013? There’s Oprah and … who else? Trump slammed the Gang of Eight bill in his CPAC speech that year, but that was a speech to a small niche of committed conservatives. What’d he do to try to rally the other 97 percent of his “Apprentice” viewership?

Two points about the significance of Trump attacking Cruz’s temperament. One: It signals that he’s probably now resigned to conservative talkers turning on him. One of the few times he’s gotten smacked by Rush et al. this primary was when he called Cruz a “maniac” last month for antagonizing Senate Republicans. Said Mark Levin at the time:

“This has to be the dumbest strategy yet, defending the establishment,” Levin continued abut Trump’s Fox News Sunday interview. “Trashing Cruz? Look, there are things you can question Cruz about, his past position on immigration, his past position on trade, substantive, positions you can question him about. This is not that! You and I rally around him and have because of the way he’s taken on the establishment, because of the establishment that Trump’s taking on. So why raise a stupid issue?”

Trump backed off a few days later at the debate, insisting that Cruz has a “wonderful” temperament. Now he’s back to smacking Cruz for insulting McConnell, knowing that talk radio has no choice but to punish him for it. In fact, that’s exactly what Cruz fans have been waiting for — a peg to start the “Trump is part of the establishment” attacks. Here it is. No turning back.

Two: We’re back to the question of who the establishment itself would prefer if forced to choose between Trump and Cruz as nominee. Cruz fans are completely invested in the idea that it’s Trump; Cruz’s brand rests on him being seen as an indefatigable scourge of the “Washington cartel” from the right. Trump’s position is more nuanced. He can’t cuddle up too closely to Beltway Republicans or else it’ll undercut his populist cred, but a little cuddling arguably helps by signaling that he won’t be the dangerous loose cannon as president that his critics fear. If Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan think they can learn to live with him, surely undecided voters can feel better about handing power to him. He’d almost certainly be easier for them to influence as president than Cruz would, as House Republicans are reportedly now recognizing.

On the other hand, how likely is it that people who crave political stability would rather gamble on Donald Trump than Cruz?

Rich Lowry says that Republican establishment types are telling him that they think Trump would run better than Ted Cruz in the general election. That would seem unlikely given the publicly available data. Trump is running behind Clinton in head-to-head polling, while Cruz is ahead of her. Neither does Trump seem to have much room to grow among general election voters. Trump’s favorability numbers are toxic among independents and Democrats (and not that great among Republicans.) If you were simply going for the most “electable” candidate, Cruz wouldn’t be your first choice, but he makes much more sense than Trump. So what are the establishment types doing?

If I had to guess a reason (beyond spite and incompetence – though those would suffice) for why Republican establishment types are talking up Trump’s chances in the general election, it would be to prevent a panic stampede to Cruz among the chamber of commerce conservatives and upper-middle-class moderates that make up the constituency for candidates like Rubio, Christie, Bush, and Kasich.

Cruz beats Trump in head-to-head polling. Trump beats Rubio in head-to-head polling. Trump only beats Cruz if there is a strong three-way race (with Rubio in third place.)

That seems too cute by half. Trump and Cruz are neck and neck in Iowa; if Trump’s the one you fear, why on earth would you take the risk of puffing him up two weeks before Iowa votes? I don’t think there’s any looming stampede headed Cruz’s way anytime soon unless Rubio crumbles in New Hampshire, in which case you’ll probably see his voters split between Cruz and whoever the establishment candidate is. Until then, Trump has time to woo center-right voters by grumbling about Cruz’s bad manners towards Washington and hinting at how much better he’d work with Congress than Cruz would. Voters like compromise in theory, if not in practice. This is Trump’s small way of suggesting that Cruz is the real radical in the race, not him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

TRUMP: Well, I think he’s sort of a guy that just has a wonderful personality, a good speaker, somebody that people trust. And I also think that the comparison with his predecessor is so different — it’s so huge that it really has made a great impact on people.

I think that he’s really doing a nice job in terms of representation of this country. And he represents such a large part of the country.

I mean, to think that a black man was going to be elected president — I watched television for years where the great political analysts were saying maybe in 50, maybe in 100 years.

Here’s a man that not only got elected, I think he’s doing a really good job…

Big fan of Obama’s, apparently. Years after conservatives knew who he was.

Jaibones on January 19, 2016 at 4:59 PM

I think that Rachel Madcow fella originated the term in its derogatory meaning. Liberals are such classy, charming folks.

Rix on January 19, 2016 at 4:49 PM

The term long predated the tea party, but it was so d*mn amusing to watch these earnest idiots in trefoil hats refer to themselves by the term. Of course later they blamed the left as if we somehow made them say it.

Good times.

Tlaloc on January 19, 2016 at 4:59 PM

So is Trump a liberal, a fraud, or just a really slow learner?

Jaibones on January 19, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Explain this theory to me. How many people do you know who would vote for Candidate B as a second choice but because he was mean to first choice Candidate A decide to vote for Candidate C instead? I don’t think I’ve ever known anyone to give a flip about what they say to or about each other.

MJBrutus on January 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM

If a conservative supports Trump because of Trump’s anti-establishment creds, but then starts to sound like Rubio and McConnell in attacking Cruz, it could lead to questions about Trump’s anti-establishment creds – i.e., the whole reason for supporting Trump in the first place.

besser tot als rot on January 19, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Pot, kettle, black for the umpteenth time with tRump!!!

Remember when Ted Cruz called all Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists?

Remember when Ted Cruz had lots of people fired?

Remember when Ted Cruz called women pigs?

Remember when Ted Cruz viciously attacked Megyn Kelly after the Fox News debate?

That nasty Ted Cruz sure has a lousy temperament!!!

Oh, wait a minute, that was tRump!

Steve Z on January 19, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Good times.

Tlaloc on January 19, 2016 at 4:59 PM

Lol. You are making this up. Prove it happened. Otherwise go back to fapping to 2 girls and a cup.

NotCoach on January 19, 2016 at 5:03 PM

I know this … with so many GOP candidates almost completely distrusted by so many GOP voters, it’s going to take an act of God to get the right motivated to win.

Jaibones on January 19, 2016 at 5:04 PM

Well, well, well lookey here. Trump first endorses HIGHER ethanol mandates in gasoline and now blasts Cruz for calling the biggest liar in the Senate a liar on the Senate floor! Wow! Two big ANTI conservative, Anti American positions in one day. Imagine what he will be able to do if he is elected!!!!!!!

inspectorudy on January 19, 2016 at 5:08 PM

NotCoach on January 19, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Tlaloc on January 19, 2016 at 5:12 PM

besser tot als rot on January 19, 2016 at 5:00 PM

I know that people like to argue about such things. Finding excuses like that to call so and so a tool of the dreaded establishment and all but I don’t think that anyone really buys that stuff.

MJBrutus on January 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM

And now the cult of personality loses all cover. It is interesting to watch people twist themselves into pretzels to justify or obfuscate for Trump in the face of reality.

I will vote for Trump if he’s the nominee, but I will be under no false pretenses about what we’re likely to get. It’s just that I will NOT vote for a Democrat, period.

jnelchef on January 19, 2016 at 5:16 PM

jnelchef on January 19, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Yeah, I’m resigned to the lesser evil as well. I just can’t banish my self-pity and asking myself, “does the lesser evil have to be this evil”?

MJBrutus on January 19, 2016 at 5:20 PM

MJBrutus on January 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Well, I can’t speak for anyone else, but it matters to me. I’m just about to the point where I won’t support Trump.

besser tot als rot on January 19, 2016 at 5:21 PM

McConnell is a liar. Is the truth to hard for the Donald?

DanMan on January 19, 2016 at 5:22 PM

besser tot als rot on January 19, 2016 at 5:21 PM

I believe you, but that surprises me. I just take it for granted that a pol is going to use whatever club is in their bag.

MJBrutus on January 19, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Pot, kettle, black for the umpteenth time with tRump!!!

Remember when Ted Cruz called all Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists?

Remember when Ted Cruz had lots of people fired?

Remember when Ted Cruz called women pigs?

That nasty Ted Cruz sure has a lousy temperament!!!

Oh, wait a minute, that was tRump!

Steve Z on January 19, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Maybe Trump is trying to stake out the insulting other people shtick as his personal territory and no other candidates are permitted to do this.

Either that or his narcisism is so bad he can’t see the irony of this criticism.

I’ll still vote for him if he’s the nominee and write him in if it’s Kasich, but he’s being such an *ss I might vote for Bush if Bush is the nominee.

Or stay home.

Or hope for SMOD.

talkingpoints on January 19, 2016 at 5:29 PM

You can’t call your leaders liars on the Senate floor

Put me there and I darn sure will.

Daily.

LegendHasIt on January 19, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Anyone who isn’t willing to call out a liar doesn’t belong in the Senate.

Wendya on January 19, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Oh I think he’s done plenty of cuddling:

$50,000 to American Crossroads in 2010 to help Karl Rove defeat TEA party candidates.

$100,000 to Congressional Leadership Fund in 2012 to help John Boehner elect the right kind of Republicans.

$60,000 to Kentuckians for Strong Leadership 2013-2014 to help Mitch McConnell defeat Matt Bevin.

Establishment through and through. Takes all of a minute to find this on fec.gov.

dallasalice on January 19, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Excuse me Donald, but what if your leader really IS a liar?

Are you just being politically correct?

Oxymoron on January 19, 2016 at 6:14 PM

Shu?! Curry favor? With people who are stabbing you and your country in the back?

I don’t think so, Donald. Is this how you intend to govern? Thanks for letting us know beforehand, buddy. Making it a bit easier to decide.

Cleombrotus on January 19, 2016 at 6:19 PM

“Ted has got a rough temperament” Trump

This reminds me when they called Bob Dole “mean spirited” and most of us said, “If only”

Cleombrotus on January 19, 2016 at 6:25 PM

McConnell IS a liar, but more of a traitor than a liar.

Wish Trump would gain some perspective here.

Don, you’ll be calling them liars soon enough.

rightwingyahooo on January 19, 2016 at 6:48 PM

True, this is a huge problem. Men like Trump, highly successful in life outside of the courtroom and politics, realize the importance of negotiation to achieve their goals. It must be hard for some on the far right to grasp this concept, as the prevailing belief in name-calling and staring down your opponent have really taken hold. Perhaps only career politicians should be nominated from this point forward. After all, the founding fathers emphasized compromise- but what did they really know?

bayam on January 19, 2016 at 6:50 PM

You cannot call your leaders ‘liars’ on the Senate floor.
Unless they are liars. Whereupon: No harm, no foul.

Carry on, Senator Cruz; carry on.

orangemtl on January 19, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Except when you ARE a liar & a schemer.

RdLake on January 19, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Thank you, Ms. Manners-Trump.

Axeman on January 19, 2016 at 8:18 PM

besser tot als rot on January 19, 2016 at 5:21 PM

Then don’t, you can write in a candidate’s name. From a personal perspective, if we’re going to have a banana republic then I’d prefer to have our Howler Monkey in Chief in office as opposed to the Dems’. However, Trump’s anti-immigrant supporters (sorry Schadenfreude, you can no longer make the legal/illegal distinction, ya’all openly declared your nativist preferences here and elsewhere) are anethema to me and my family. They pose an existential threat given that one supporter on here told me that they’d take my wife’s job away (she’s an LPR) to give it to a more “deserving” American – where there’s smoke, there’s fire. I won’t think about supporting Trump unless he puts out the anti-immigrant fire (irony alert, I could’ve stomached Trump as the demagogue-in-chief until ya’all started with the anti-immigrant stuff, I even supported much of the anti-illegal immigrant stuff).

As I revel in reminding the Trumpsters, the “voting for the most electable Republican” boat sailed after McCain/Romney. I won’t pull the lever for Trump or a Dem; I’ll write-in Cruz or someone else if it comes to that choice. If Venezuela is what we’re destined for, let the Dems own it. It will make it easier to figure out who to blame when the time comes.

Speakeasy on January 19, 2016 at 11:35 PM

Steve Z

Remember when Ted Cruz called all Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists?

He never said that. Please provide the quote. Not a Trump supporter but I think when criticizing the candidates, a little honesty is due.

Donald Trump didn’t speak out on the Gang of 8 Bill because well…he was still hosting his Apprentice Show and I’m sure he figured making a statement against it would have hurt his ratings. In the end a guy like him only cares about the next quarterly earnings.

1redshirtxlg on January 20, 2016 at 12:20 AM

Speakeasy

Anti-immigrant? Please define anti-immigrant. I do believe anti-illegal immigration is the phrase. If there’s no distinction then please explain why people who break our laws should stay. And it’s spelled “y’all”.

People who put legal immigration ahead of those who skirt the legal process are not a threat to anyone.

I’ll write-in Cruz or someone else if it comes to that choice.

Ted Cruz has the same hardline position against illegal immigration Trump has. He may not be as crass as Trump, but the position is the same.

1redshirtxlg on January 20, 2016 at 12:32 AM

Remember that scene from Gladiator? They’re eating and Maximus is worried that Commodus has poisoned his food? His friend tells him, “First he has to kill your name.”

What Trump is doing is not the mark of, either, an honest man or a statesman.

I think I’ve finally made up my mind about Donald Trump.

Cleombrotus on January 20, 2016 at 1:21 AM

Now we know who “owns” Trump… the establishment that aided his accumulation of wealth.

Jumpintimmy on January 20, 2016 at 1:26 AM

bayam on January 19, 2016 at 6:50 PM

How much compromise have we seen from the left in the last 7 years? The lack of compromise seems to have worked for them to shove their agenda down our throats.

Wendya on January 20, 2016 at 1:58 AM

Yeah, Trump, you can call them liars.

You’re yugely wrong, buddy.

Most of us here prefer Cruz to you but admittedly get lost after Cruz and yourself.

Do we go for Trump or Rubio?

Trump I like but he’s a yuge wildcard.

But if he’s nominee you bet I’m voting for him.

Sherman1864 on January 20, 2016 at 5:26 AM

Uh? Trump wasn’t in Congress, I don’t recall Trump or any other major conservative business man leading the charge against amnesty. And for good reason. Getting in the middle of heated political fights is not good for business. Trump has always been pretty quiet about political issues even if he has appeared on TV expressing his opinion about the candidates’ abilities to win or lose–which is much different.

BMF on January 20, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Dear leader is our leader and we call him a lot of things. We must have rough temperaments, too. Actually, we call almost all of our elected and non-elected govt officials a lot of not nice things. We think a lot of them should be in jail, but then, what we think doesn’t matter anymore.

Kissmygrits on January 20, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Trump would be eight more years of Obama. All we would hear is how great he’s doing and all the while our nation would be going down the drain. Trump is a N Y Liberal and a pig in the poke. But once you buy it, it is then yours just like ole Jug Ears

Herb on January 20, 2016 at 9:12 AM

I disagree with Trump. If someone lies CALL THEM ON IT. After all, that’s what Trump does, doesn’t he.

BUILD THE WALL.

dogsoldier on January 20, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Herb on January 20, 2016 at 9:12 AM

Nonsense. Trump has a proven track record. Zero never even really held a job. The fact you consider them similar shows you need to rethink your position.

There is no comparison.

dogsoldier on January 20, 2016 at 9:23 AM

I have been amazed that Mr. Trump has gotten away with many of the thing he has said and done without any losses in his poll numbers but he has and that’s fine. But I don’t quite understand why Sen. Cruz should be considered mean and nasty based on nothing but Mr. Trump’s opinion.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2016 at 9:57 AM

So, Cruz is mean & nasty because he calls McConnell a liar on the senate floor, but Trump is noble when he calls the senate stupid, inept, etc. in front of millions on live tv. Trump is beginning to sound more like a politician indeed.

Reno232 on January 20, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Calling out our leaders as liars is EXACTLY the temperament we need, because they ARE and it is HURTING us. Trump, I don’t know what you’re thinking when you’re saying these foolish things about Cruz, but you are LOSING me. KNOCK IT OFF.

blackgriffin on January 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM

So is Trump a liberal, a fraud, or just a really slow learner?

Jaibones on January 19, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Actually, Trump is our next president. Get used to it.

earlgrey on January 20, 2016 at 10:47 AM

blackgriffin on January 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Trump is being consistent, and he knows exactly what he is doing. He has told us he is a negotiator. Well, if you piss off all the people you need to negotiate with and turn them against you, it just makes it more difficult to get them to work with you.

earlgrey on January 20, 2016 at 10:50 AM

How dare you speak the truth on these hallowed grounds senator cruz?

Don L on January 20, 2016 at 10:55 AM

McConnell lied to Cruz and Cruz told the world. Tough crowd.

Cindy Munford on January 20, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Been watching the Trump-humper threads carefully for months. Seems we’re down to about 3 or 4 humpers. Loud humpers. Verbose humpers. But just about 3 or 4 left. That’s probably the floor. But it’s also probably enough. Cruz has played it just about right. Hope he’s our next president.

Arnold Yabenson on January 20, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Thank goodness.

With Jeb down in the polls; I didn’t know who to support to get our feckless useless Establishment GOP supported and winning this election.

Now I know, Donald Trump loves the establishment and will defend them and all their actions; and will attack you if you dare to criticize them.

Since Jeb is losing; support Trump. He’s pretty much the same and in love with the GOP establishment and leadership.

Or is that not the Trump bandwagon defense of this?
How could it not be?

gekkobear on January 20, 2016 at 11:56 AM

bayam on January 19, 2016 at 6:50 PM

There are two types of compromise:

1) We each get some of what we want.

2) You get all of what you want on this subject and allow me to get all of what I want on another subject.

Then there is a false compromise:

You want to do X but I want to do nothing. Therefore, we’ll compromise by doing 1/2 of X.

This is false compromise because I get nothing of what I wanted since I wanted to do nothing but we’re instead doing something.

We rarely see true compromise in DC but we see lots of false compromise where the left gets half of what they want and the GOPe goes along with them, thinking they held the line. The problem is that the left eventually comes back for the second half and again the GOPe thinks they’ve held the line.

I’m all for true compromise but the proper response to false compromise is obstruction and staring down your opponent and, sometimes, calling your leaders a bunch of liars.

Occams Stubble on January 20, 2016 at 12:03 PM

earlgrey on January 20, 2016 at 10:50 AM

Do you people listen to yourselves?

CanofSand on January 20, 2016 at 8:38 PM