Here we go: Palin to endorse Trump

posted at 4:41 pm on January 19, 2016 by Allahpundit

Jim Geraghty wrote this morning that the tea-party era began on Tax Day 2009, the day conservatives protested in cities across the country, but plenty of Palin fans will tell you that it actually began eight months earlier, when Palin flew into Dayton to accept John McCain’s offer to be his VP. That wasn’t a tea-party campaign by any stretch — it was pro-TARP, pro-amnesty, pro-cap-and-trade, and all McCain — but it made Palin a national figure. And she was, unquestionably, the biggest Republican name associated with the tea party for years afterward. Cruz has a passionate cheering section among grassroots conservatives but he’s never been beloved the way Palin was. She was “one of us.” The nerd from Harvard and Princeton never will be, no matter how many “Duck Dynasty” ads he puts out. Only Trump has built a cult of personality on the right during the Obama era as passionate as the one Palin enjoyed from 2009 through 2012. In that sense, today’s endorsement is appropriate. Cruz is the better conservative. Trump is the better populist. Palin’s made her choice.

If the Dayton speech was the beginning of the tea party, today’s speech in Ames is the end. Drop the curtain.

“I’m proud to endorse Donald J. Trump for president,” Ms. Palin said in a statement provided by his campaign…

“I am greatly honored to receive Sarah’s endorsement,” Mr. Trump said in a statement trumpeting Mrs. Palin’s decision. “She is a friend, and a high-quality person whom I have great respect for. I am proud to have her support.”…

Mrs. Palin, who despite her waning visibility within the Republican Party retains a sizable following, provides Mr. Trump with valuable new currency at a moment when he is being attacked over his conservative bona fides by Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, with whom Mr. Trump is neck-and-neck in the Iowa polls.

As Mr. Trump fends off questions about his “New York values” from Mr. Cruz, Mrs. Palin could help vouch for Mr. Trump’s credentials with skeptical conservatives.

Charles Cooke is reminding people on Twitter of this passage from one of his columns written a year ago, five months before Trump announced his candidacy:

For a long while now, Palin has not so much contributed arguments and ideas as she has thrown together a one-woman variety show for a band of traveling fans. One part free verse, one part Dada-laden ressentiment, and one part primal scream therapy, Palin’s appearances seem to be designed less to advance the ball for the Right and more to ensure that her name remains in the news, that her business opportunities are not entirely foreclosed, and that her hand remains strong enough to justify her role as kingmaker without portfolio. Ultimately, she isn’t really trying to change politics; she’s trying to be politics — the system and its complexities be damned. Want to find a figure to which Palin can be reasonably compared? It’s not Ronald Reagan. It’s Donald Trump.

You can hate that the tea party has deteriorated into Trumpism and you can curse Palin for enabling it, but you can’t say she and Cruz are a better match politically than she and Trump are. I agree with this from Ross Douthat:

Right. I criticize Trump relentlessly but I’ll never tell you that it was a bad thing that he ran this year. Trump is the great clarifier: He took a coalition of right-wingers uneasily assembled under the banner of “movement conservatism” and gave the ones who don’t really believe in conservatism the courage to declare their principles. Some are nationalists and Jacksonians; some, as David French said, are cultural conservatives who can do without the free-market mumbo jumbo; some are alt-righters. It’s better to know where everyone really stands than to pretend that we’re all on the same page, which went on for decades after Reagan. That’s not to say that Trump will win or that Palin’s endorsement will help, but that’s beside the point. I joked with a fellow “Twilight Zone” nerd the other day that to understand the Republican coalition after Trump, you need to watch the episode “The Shelter.” Even if Trump loses, even if this has all been an elaborate false alarm, there’s no going back to what the right was. The illusions are gone now.

Here’s your thread to follow Trump’s event, which is set to start at 6 p.m. ET.

Update: Trump rubs it in.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14

deadrody on January 20, 2016 at 5:35 AM

I prefer the word Patriot instead of Conservative since the latter has been corrupted by many that use it. Opposite of Patriot is Traitor and we have many.

Otherwise, great comments. Senator Ted Cruz has made his bed and he will now lie in it with Glenn Beck and his cohorts.

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 11:53 AM

1300

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 20, 2016 at 11:54 AM

When Trump turns on conservatives, and he will, I will have schadenfreude to comfort me while another liberal justice is appointed to the SCOTUS. Great.

idalily on January 20, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Did you like it when George HW Bush put David Souter on the Supreme Court?

How about when Reagan put Anthony Kennedy and Sandra Day O’Conner there?

NWConservative on January 20, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Yet both of them have both demonstrated more conservative RESULTS than Cruz. Would we even be talking about the Constitutionality of anchor babies, or deportation without Trump? And Palin demonstrated clearly the ability to clean up corruption from within her own party! Yet you will stick with a lame purity test instead of focusing on RESULTS. Talk is cheap. What RESULTS have Cruz produced?

dominigan on January 20, 2016 at 11:15 AM

What conservative results?

Trump and his ethanol subsidies? Palin, governor of a state where more federal money per capita and any other state?

They are both federal government expanders…more federal government.

right2bright on January 20, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Oh, if Sarah Palin had endorsed Cruz, Beck and his cohorts would be praising her to the heavens.

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Why would that be inconsistent? One is a Conservative and the other is a Liberal..centrist…someone who is for whatever polls best at any given time.

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Did you like it when George HW Bush put David Souter on the Supreme Court?

How about when Reagan put Anthony Kennedy and Sandra Day O’Conner there?

NWConservative on January 20, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Non sequiturs.

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 12:03 PM

David Barton

Glen Beck defines himself.

Cisco Texas private church that mixes Christian and Jewish operated by Ferris and Dan Wilks.

Wilks brothers brick laying business won low bid contracts by paying illegals the lest and using the highest numbers of illegal wage slaves.

All support Ted Cruz.

connections count up

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 20, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Palin basically said with her endorsement, “Let’s accept Trump’s conversion in good faith and focus on the energy he has brought to the rest of the conservative debate. Argue policy instead of questioning motives.”

ezspirit on January 20, 2016 at 12:08 AM

Ok, Trump is now attacking Cruz for his not agreeing with the GOP establishment leadership and calling them liars.

What “policy” is it that demands you follow; accept, and obey the GOP leadership establishment without question?

I thought Trump was running as an “outsider” not as Mitch McConnell’s greatest lover and defender.
But since I misunderstand Trump, please explain why he’s in line with the GOP establishment and won’t brook any dissent with the GOP establishment now.

gekkobear on January 20, 2016 at 12:08 PM

gekkobear on January 20, 2016 at 12:08 PM

Thats what he is running as, not what he is.

This is obvious to everyone but the willfully blind.

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Trump also seems to dislike calling out people like Mitch McConnell.
It’s not nice.
Now there’s an additude of speaking truth to power! “Help us Obi Won Don…you’re our only hope”.

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Non sequiturs.

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 12:03 PM

That’s not an answer Cruz bot.

NWConservative on January 20, 2016 at 12:24 PM

That’s not an answer Cruz bot.

NWConservative on January 20, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Answer to what?? Say you’re working on your car..a person points out, before you crawl back under the car, that you picked the wrong wrench.
You respond by saying. “That’s not an answer.”

That would make no sense, don’t you agree?

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 12:28 PM

additude

noun
1. manner, disposition, feeling, position, etc., with regard to a person or thing; tendency or orientation, especially of the mind:
a positive additude; group additudes, aka when you add on to your already spread manure

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2016 at 12:28 PM

One year from today there will be a yuuuuge celebration.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2016 at 12:32 PM

You respond by saying. “That’s not an answer.”

That would make no sense, don’t you agree?

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 12:28 PM

No it’s like when someone barges into a debate about judges, yelling about non sequiturs.

You have no idea what your talking about.

NWConservative on January 20, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Glen Beck

David Barton

Ferris and Dan Wilks

google finds info

Lots of crazy above.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 20, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Oh, yeah. I’ve read most of those connections. Anyone wanting the truth about those mentioned and much more can find it. The problem is many posting here don’t want to know the truth. They would rather believe the lies, which we that have done the research and know the truth read their comments.

Thanks APACHEWHOKNOWS.

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 12:41 PM

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 11:56 AM

It would be inconsistent since Beck and his cohorts have trashed Sarah Palin for quite some time. And it would show to those that haven’t a clue that “a double minded man is unstable in all his ways.”

Beck would do well to understand Scripture which he professes to believe.

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 12:47 PM

David Barton

Glen Beck defines himself.

All support Ted Cruz.

connections count up

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 20, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Yes, connections do count up. That also explains why Beck moved to Texas:-)

Have you seen the videos of some of their beliefs and preaching? UNREAL!! Senator Ted Cruz with his father Rafael is right in there with that!

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Another trash Donald Trump website. Sad.

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Trump also seems to dislike calling out people like Mitch McConnell.
It’s not nice.

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Calling out McConnell is the job the Republicans in Congress that are elected need to do. However, those so called “Freedom Fighters” are too busy agreeing with McConnell and passing Obama’s agenda.

Attacking Donald Trump with your lack of knowledge either intentional or on purpose is pitiful. From what I’ve read of your comments, you define the word troll and not a good one at that. LOL

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 1:10 PM

Jeb supporter?

evergreen on January 20, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Whoa. Biggest insult of all time. Sheesh. What did I ever do to you? Oh yeah, I laughed at your support of Rubio. Meh.

Fallon on January 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM

in my opinion here is how I see Sarah vs Hillary

If I was going on vacation and had to give my house key to Sarah or Hillary…I would give it to Sarah so that should could take care of my dogs. I know they’d be fed and well cared for. She might even have the thought to water the plants and feed the gold fish as well.

If I gave the key to Hillary, she’d give the key to Huma, to have Huma give the key to an underling who would then assign the task of taking care of my dogs and house to some intern that is not getting paid. Would my dogs get cared for? Who knows. Would my fish get fed, no way, would the plants get watered? Nope…would my food get eaten, my TV get watched, my shower get used and my booze get drank and my mail get opened? Most likely yes.

for all her faults, I Still like Sarah as a person from what I have gleamed into her life.

for all her faults, I find Hillary repulsive.

Dino V on January 20, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Trump also seems to dislike calling out people like Mitch McConnell.
It’s not nice.

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 12:24 PM

additude

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2016 at 12:28 PM

And? It appears it went over your head. It’s attitude. Your dictionary must have spelled it wrong.

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 1:31 PM

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 1:10 PM

You must be joking.
TRUMP criticized Cruz for calling out the GOPe in McConnell.
Care to correct your statement?

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 1:35 PM

You have no idea what your talking about.

NWConservative on January 20, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Yelling?
Listen..if you’re too much of an intellectual coward to admit when you’re wrong..simply state that, otherwise you just keep digging deeper, making actual debate not possible….which is what I suspect Trumpatrons actually want.

P.S. you’re post was a non sequitur.

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 1:38 PM

Another trash Donald Trump website. Sad.

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Let me guess…..it’s all a vast right wing conspiracy??

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 12:52 PM

I missed those. Can you bullet point some of these odd beliefs?
Do any of them reach the level of the “odd belief” that Trump is a conservative?

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 1:46 PM

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 1:10 PM

You must be joking.
TRUMP criticized Cruz for calling out the GOPe in McConnell.
Care to correct your statement?

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 1:35 PM

If you had any insight, you would have known why Senator Ted Cruz called McConnell out on the Senate floor. I know and so do all that
have insight. Figure it out.

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 2:04 PM

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 12:52 PM

I missed those. Can you bullet point some of these odd beliefs?

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 1:46 PM

You are dense. When has Donald J. Trump ever said he’s a Conservative?
Donald J. Trump and Sarah Palin are Patriots.

You’ve missed a lot. Use your search engine, there are plenty of keywords on the last two pages. Actually a link that I provided.

Oh, go watch Cruz & Beck with their rally in Waterloo, Iowa. An apt name of the city for those cohorts:-)

This is so much fun!!

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Jeb supporter?

evergreen on January 20, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Fallon on January 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Is evergreen a newbie? I see you’re having fun and I am too, LOL

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 2:14 PM

Yelling?

P.S. you’re post was a non sequitur.

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 1:38 PM

There’s the coward word again from the nosy keyboard warrior.

Listen, I’ll debate you when you want to have a debate, but so far from what I’ve seen, you’re here to be an annoying pedant who would rather propose fallacious fallacy arguments then actually have an honest discussion.

NWConservative on January 20, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Is evergreen a newbie? I see you’re having fun and I am too, LOL

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 2:14 PM

I’ve been here since the 2008 election, but I’m not a professional keyboard warrior. Carry on.

evergreen on January 20, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Mimzey on January 20, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Speaking of going “over your head”, check yours Mimzey.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Read slower Mimzey. You were totally had.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Is evergreen a newbie? I see you’re having fun and I am too, LOL

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 2:14 PM

evergreen on January 20, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Just to wrap this thread up…No problem. I just thought you would have known that Fallon would never be a Jeb supporter.

I haven’t been posting much here, so didn’t recall seeing your name.

bluefox on January 21, 2016 at 3:08 PM

bluefox on January 20, 2016 at 1:10 PM

I tried to parse why what Cruz does in Congress is the right thing; therefore we should support Trump for attacking Cruz…

But I can’t.
It gave me a headache to try to sort out how that made sense to you… I’m apparently incapable of seeing how that works.

gekkobear on January 21, 2016 at 5:06 PM