It’s come to this: There’ll be no “amnesty” when I’m president, says … Marco Rubio; Update: Endorsed by Brian Terry’s sister

posted at 4:01 pm on January 15, 2016 by Allahpundit

If there’s one thing we learned from his 2010 Senate race, it’s that you can take anything Rubio says about immigration to the bank. Word is bond.

This ad is a sort of revenge on border hawks, I think, for using the word “amnesty” so prodigally in criticizing immigration plans they don’t like. There are at least four different definitions. Rubio’s taking advantage of that to insist that his presidency will be 100 percent amnesty-free, which is true if you define the term in its narrowest sense, as a no-strings-attached grant of legal residency to illegals. If you define it more broadly, as part of a security-for-legalization deal with the left to let illegals stay subject to some minimal preconditions about learning English and paying back taxes, the odds that there’ll be no amnesty under President Rubio are basically zero. Imagine the first Latino president, whose biggest legislative initiative as a senator was immigration reform, spending his entire first term in office doing zip about legalization. He’d be demagogued ruthlessly for his inaction by Democrats in 2020, especially if Rubio performs better with Latino voters this November than Republicans have done historically. On top of that, imagine the pressure on Rubio from the donor class if he swept into office with a Republican House and a Republican Senate. Half the reason donors love him is because he stood up to the right on immigration. They’d want him to take advantage of his congressional majorities to get something done on amnesty ASAP, a la Obama and ObamaCare in 2009-10, before Democrats get a crack at taking back the Senate in the 2018 midterms. And if/when it happens, President Rubio will say, “I promised you ‘no amnesty’ and I kept that promise. All 10 million illegals who are now allowed to stay will have to learn English.” What more could you ask for?

I think this is an effective ad, by the way, even though anyone who’s followed the Gang of Eight saga since 2013 will double over laughing at it. Think about how many casual Republican voters there are in New Hampshire who spend 10 minutes a week on politics and know next to nothing about Rubio except that he seems like a nice, impressive young man. Does this sound like a guy who’s going to give away the farm on legalization? Why, he sounds as tough on illegals as Trump does! And he sounds — well, not angry, as he tried to sound last night, but deeply, deeply concerned. This is Rubio 2.0 you’re seeing here, the guy who spent six months running as Mr. Optimism to no avail and who’s now decided that he’s too far out of sync with the public’s mood to keep that up. Now he’s Mr. Optimistic But Deeply Troubled At The State Of Our Country. Note too how Rubio emphasizes national security here as the reason for tougher borders. That makes three different emphases on immigration for the three strongest candidates in the race. For Trump and his fans, immigration is foremost a cultural matter; for Cruz, it’s foremost an economic matter; for Rubio, who wants to be the “national security candidate,” it’s foremost a matter of “keep[ing] America safe.” That’s why Rubio stressed the threat from ISIS last night when asked about immigration, as if jihadis were no threat circa 2013, and why his last-minute barrage against Cruz segued from immigration to defense. Ultimately, all his attacks on Cruz are a matter of questioning his willingness to protect America. You’ll find that clip below too.

Update: I don’t know if Rubio still has a chance with the sort of grassroots conservative who knows who Brian Terry is, but if so, this is a shrewd way to go after it. Would Terry’s sister endorse someone who she thought was weak on immigration?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

MarcObamaRubio, rubes.

He is watching the presidency slip from his grasp and will say anything to try and regain some traction. He’s beyond lying like a rug.

Merthin on January 15, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Now you flatter :)

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Thank you. ;)

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 5:56 PM

I’ll be clear. I am against illegal immigration of any kind. Mon Pere was a legal immigrant. I get it. ISIS/Islamists are a bigger threat, imo. Regardless of the reason, the border needs to be sealed.

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 5:06 PM

I’ll take you at your word on that. Are you in favor of deporting all the illegals here now?

Here is where I part company with Rubio, despite his turnaround on border security. He’s fine with lawbreakers, as long as they have just broken laws he thinks are mean.

Dolce Far Niente on January 15, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Schadenfreude on January 15, 2016 at 5:58 PM

I thought Rubio was a douche last night. His chosen plan is to dump on everyone on that stage. Christie nailed him on that.

Nethicus on January 15, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 5:06 PM

It isn’t about what the illegal aliens will do, it is about what they have done. Worse than there being here illegally is how we have allowed them to stay, and not only not assimilate but live as Mexicans in our country, demanding rights as Mexicans in our country.

Neitherleftorright on January 15, 2016 at 6:01 PM

This man is a liar’s liar-the king of all liars.

redware on January 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM

I do not understand why is anyone surprised. The word amnesty has lost its meaning.

ojfltx on January 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM

ojfltx on January 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Yes it has..:)

Dire Straits on January 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM

The word amnesty has lost its meaning.

ojfltx on January 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM

Like the word racism too.

Neitherleftorright on January 15, 2016 at 6:09 PM

There’s just no way to know if election year conversion conservatives are going to keep their word. Tough call for the voters.

We have a new problem – Ryan doesn’t care what anyone says, once he is re-elected. He’s not like Boehner, he’s going to ram through immigration reform if he gets a president that will sign.

cimbri on January 15, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Dolce Far Niente on January 15, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Yes, I am in favor of deporting illegals here now.

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Neitherleftorright on January 15, 2016 at 6:01 PM

As I’ve said, I’m a south-westerner. I’m so sick of the bullshit that comes along with the illegals. What I want is for the politicians to stop all the freebies they get. Of course, seal the border. I do feel sorry for some of the young ones who have never lived in Mexico though. I knew a guy who was born in England who is as American as it gets. Turns out he didn’t even know he was British until later in his life. He’s lucky that his “home” country speaks English. Honestly, the guy was an American through and through. In the meantime, the poor guy thought he was American and can’t collect all he’s paid into the govt. over the years.

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Neitherleftorright on January 15, 2016 at 6:01 PM

I agree.

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Would Terry’s sister endorse someone who she thought was weak on immigration?

Wow, Marco has her ignore the immigration issue completely, so yeah, I cn easily see her being weak on immigration. Terry’s death had next to nothing to do with illegal immigration. It had everything to do with drug smuggling operations and not securing the border.

In fact, I could see Terry being big on amnesty. Terry might see that not acting on illegal immigration is preventing the US from having had the border security necessary to have prevented Terry’s death and that it still does and she sees Marco Rubio as the best candidate to get the border security via pushing through amnesty for illegals.

She might think that Marco can fool Americans by sounding like he opposes amnesty while running for president, and then switch when he’s elected, because he’s already successfully done that once.

Dusty on January 15, 2016 at 6:35 PM

All of them have stretched the truth, and some flat out lie. Which liar do you prefer?

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 5:32 PM

The one that didn’t vote YEA on a Gang of 8 bill.

Mr. Arrogant on January 15, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Mr. Arrogant on January 15, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Great answer. You made me lol. I mean that in a good way.

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Mr. Arrogant on January 15, 2016 at 6:37 PM

I’m curious. Did you read what I wrote about my “British” friend? He honestly thought he was a legal American for most of his life, I mean a Bubba. The govt has his taxes, and he’s getting old. What’s the poor bastard to do?

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Yes, I am in favor of deporting illegals here now.

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Ummm, I don’t think that you’re going to like Rubio in that case.

Redstone on January 15, 2016 at 6:52 PM

There’ll be no “amnesty” when I’m president, says … Marco Rubio

Is this the biggest lie in the history of politics?

Does anyone actually believe this?

Redstone on January 15, 2016 at 6:54 PM

What, he decided to go with the touchback legalization process or what?

Constitutionalist on January 15, 2016 at 6:57 PM

So….all you fools that are enjoying yourself, calling Rubio a liar, need to understand that Ted Cruz is about the sleaziest liar going- he’s done, and I couldn’t be happier.

BettyRuth on January 15, 2016 at 7:09 PM

It was an easy choice:

keep a cornerstone promise to millions in your fight with Crist…or climb in bed with Schumer when you knew that anti-American in the WH was dictating every move.

You chose Schumer and the most drastically anti-American to ever wield so much power — someone who wanted to “fundamentally transform” America. And now you want us to believe you care about the values that make America great?

Some decisions say far too much about one’s character…no matter what you say, you simply are not authentic. Rush is wrong about you.

I hope you have a very short political career.

EastofEden on January 15, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Rubio copies Trump just like Cruz copied Trump except without the intense hatred for anyone who ever stepped foot into the state of New York.

SpongePuppy on January 15, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 6:29 PM

So YOU are the south westerner. There always has to be one.

South western values are cactus eaters and Anthony Weiner lovers and Bloomberg.

SpongePuppy on January 15, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Rubio still favors a pathway to citizenship if illegals paid a parking ticket

El_Terrible on January 15, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Jeb agrees, as long as they can pay that parking ticket with their EBT Card.

Alabama Infidel on January 15, 2016 at 7:45 PM

SpongePuppy on January 15, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Lol…I’m ok with the cactus eating part, except that I wouldn’t know which ones are safe to eat.

Misha on January 15, 2016 at 8:02 PM

Rollins Band “Liar”.

Wigglesworth on January 15, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Wow, Rubio, just what I wanted to hear you say, great job!! I only have one problem, I don’t believe you now. You were part of the gang of 8. You called Chuck to help him push through amnesty, it’s not something I can forget. You did this when it, wasn’t an election year. Now, when you want my vote, you are finally saying what I wanted to hear while you were in the Senate voting on the actual laws. Go back to the Senate and live up to the words you use when you are running for President and re-prove yourself to me and come back in 4 or 8 years and ask me again for my vote for President.

Dollayo on January 15, 2016 at 9:13 PM

2016’s Breck Girl pretty boy gets tough.

Jumpintimmy on January 15, 2016 at 9:30 PM

I did my best to imagine myself as an illegal alien and listened to one of Rubio’s campaign ads.
I liked what I heard.

Rewound it and listened again, imagining myself as someone who was strongly anti-amnesty.
Liked it again, too.

That’s scary.

TimBuk3 on January 15, 2016 at 11:24 PM

[anything] when I’m president, says … Marco Rubio

Believable.

Kenosha Kid on January 15, 2016 at 11:49 PM

So freakin’ly fake!!!!

TheAlamos on January 16, 2016 at 1:55 AM

Good, finally to see that Marco Rubio is falling in line on this issue. Now all he needs is a few more years under his belt and I think he’ll be ready.

1redshirtxlg on January 16, 2016 at 2:13 AM

2016’s Breck Girl pretty boy gets tough.

Jumpintimmy on January 15, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Exactly! Oozing with shexshiness Rubio is the John Edwards of GOP.

TheAlamos on January 16, 2016 at 2:34 AM

How would one say, “Give it up, Marco” in Spanish?

Don L on January 16, 2016 at 6:47 AM

Hahahhahahhahahhahhahahahhahahhahah
Hahahhahahhahahhahhahahahhahahhahah
That’s a good fib there !

Rubio is a LIAR every bit as much as Hillary

YOU CAN NOT TRUST MARCO RUBIO on anything

BigSven personally talked to Rubio in 2010, voted for Rubio in 2010, and after he was elected Rubio flipped flopped, did a 180, on a myriad of important issues that got him elected. Rubio could never get himself elected to the senate again in Florida. Florida voters know who he is and what he is.

Do NOT trust glib liar Rubio !

BigSven on January 16, 2016 at 6:59 AM

The establishment keeps pushing Dry Throat but the voters know he is merely an amnesty shill. He’s also a terrible liar and he’s not very bright to boot. There is one certainty about a Rubio nomination. He will lose millions of repubs who, like I , will refuse to vote for Chuck Schumer’s lil’ lapdog.

phadras on January 16, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Where have I heard that before? OH that is right, he said the same thing when he ran for the Senate. He then joined the GANG Of EIGHT AND VOTED FOR AMNESTY.

pwb on January 16, 2016 at 10:02 AM

liar liar pants on fire!

Pragmatic on January 16, 2016 at 10:20 AM

RHINO alert!

RHINO alert!!

RHINO alert!!!

gwhh on January 16, 2016 at 10:50 AM

See just like the squish he is he will say this all and and all night, however the will be “immigration reform”… which is amnesty, just put in to squishy language for the soft headed, easily manipulated useful idiots.

Voodoo Chile on January 16, 2016 at 11:28 AM

And this proven hypocrite is to be trusted to keep his word – why?

golds1 on January 16, 2016 at 12:05 PM

If you define [amnesty] more broadly, as part of a security-for-legalization deal with the left to let illegals stay subject to some minimal preconditions about learning English and paying back taxes, the odds that there’ll be no amnesty under President Rubio are basically zero.

– Allahpundit

And there it is in a nutshell. In a political world where language is the currency, Rubio’s words mean nothing and are worth … nothing. He simply doesn’t recognize your definition of amnesty (i.e., giving illegal aliens citizenship).

Jaibones on January 16, 2016 at 12:21 PM

As for me, deportation meh … this issue changes if we secure the border and deny all forms of government assistance to illegals. No welfare, social security, food stamps, medicare, citizenship, voting rights…everything. You think you “live in the shadows”? I’ll show you shadows. Want to work here for cash and not go home? Fine. Good luck.

Jaibones on January 16, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Yeah, Marco, you said that last time, too. We got the Gang of Eight bill.

Let’s say, you’re going to need to be a lot more convincing before we trust you again. Try staying in office for a while and at least attempting to fulfill your promises. Then maybe — say in ten to fifteen years or so, after you have shown us that you’ve changed your ways — we might consider trusting you again. Might, I say.

In the meantime, just go away and do your bleeping job.

hachiban on January 16, 2016 at 12:40 PM

If you like your doctor…oh, wait, sorry, that’s a different liar.

Kissmygrits on January 16, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Dollayo on January 15, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Um, no. Rubio isn’t getting another term to go back and prove himself. He knows this, which is why he has to run for PotUS this cycle.

I’ve seen this kind of comment a couple of times now, why on earth would we (Floridians) put this guy back in office after proving himself a liar? Even if Crist were the opposing candidate again, I still wouldn’t vote for Rubio (I’d write-in someone else’s name). We want Rubio out of office, not give him more opportunities to betray his constituents.

Geministorm on January 16, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Wow, did Rubio flip flop on amnesty again. Last I heard he was part of the Chuck Schumer gang of eight amnesty group.
I mean he voted in committee for the Amnesty Gang of Eight Bill even though it lost in the full Senate.

pwb on January 16, 2016 at 9:47 PM

Rubio is an Establishment RINO, if his lips are moving he’s lying.

hardrock230 on January 16, 2016 at 11:56 PM

….just go away….back to florida or cuba or wherever….and stay away!

no anti-american pro-amnesty types are wanted as candidates for any political office in america

Pragmatic on January 17, 2016 at 5:10 AM

He seems to take a positive joy in lying about important things, and he has no honor.

This is the establishment’s man.

David Blue on January 17, 2016 at 6:07 AM

So apparently Rubio’s definition of “no amnesty” is letting stay here legally. Rubio thinks we are idiots. Rubio’s candidacy is finished-because we are not!

redware on January 17, 2016 at 2:38 PM

The video with Brian Terry’s sister is VERY strong. I don’t support Marco, but I’m not going to dump om his sister,just respectfully disagree with her.

God bless her entire family,and let’s get it right in 2016