Trump hits back at Cruz: Anyone who wants to knock “New York values” needs to go through me

posted at 4:01 pm on January 14, 2016 by Allahpundit

Second look at Trump?

Donald Trump reacted to criticism from Republican presidential primary challenger Cruz Wednesday, saying that he equates “New York values” to “energy” that helped the city to persevere after the September 11th attacks.

“One thing it means is energy. You know, when the World Trade Center got hit, we rebuilt that World Trade Center and we got through and very few places in this world could have gotten through what we went through. I mean, I was so proud of New York, the World Trade Center, these two massive, 110 story buildings come down, thousands of people killed. I’ve never seen anything like it in my life. And immediately the rebuilding started,” Trump told conservative Radio host Howie Carr…

In a separate interview Wednesday on Bloomberg News’ “All Due Respect,” Trump further addressed the attack, saying, “When you knock New York, you’ve got to go through me. New York is an amazing place with amazing people.”

The more I think about Cruz’s “New York values” attack on Trump this week, the more I think it’s a silly mistake (and not just because I’m biased due to my upbringing). Here’s one reason why:

You can understand why Cruz did it. When you’re making a play for Iowa and the deep south in a Republican primary, you can’t go wrong needling the godless sodomites of NYC. Problem is, the race won’t be won or lost in Iowa and the deep south. Ironically, it’s the blue states that may decide the nominee because they come later in this year’s primary schedule, which means they can follow winner-take-all rules for awarding their delegates instead of awarding them proportionally. Even if Cruz wins Iowa and cleans up in the SEC states, he’s likely to lead fairly narrowly over the rest of the field because of the proportional awards there. Marco Rubio’s entire campaign strategy, in fact, is premised on the idea that he can afford to lose early to Cruz because he’ll make up the deficit later in winner-take-all blue states, where Republicans are more likely to favor “moderates.” Cruz would have been better off skipping the geographic dig and saying what he means. “New York values” is just an elliptical way to accuse Trump of being a dissolute big-government liberal who’s forever chasing a buck. If Cruz had the guts to say that, he could have said it and declined to insult New Yorkers generally. But he won’t hit Trump hard for fear of offending his voters so he’s forced to speak in allusions. (In the clip below, Megyn Kelly invites Cruz to define “New York values.” He refuses, of course.)

If Trump is asked about this tonight, and he probably will be, he could use it to launch a broad attack on Cruz. The rap on Cruz, after all, is that his appeal is too narrow to win a general election. Democrats in Congress hate him; centrist Republicans in Congress really hate him. He could be elected king of red-state America but he’s dead on arrival in blue and purple states, or so the theory goes. His strategy to win the presidency rests on the idea that he’ll electrify all of the conservatives and Reagan Democrats who supposedly stayed home after being demoralized by RINOs like McCain and Romney. That strategy is highly dubious, but Cruz thinks it’s a winner in states from Pennsylvania to Michigan to Wisconsin. To which Trump could say: How do you expect to win in traditionally blue areas when you can’t resist insulting the people who live there? It’s Trump, not Cruz, who’s built a coalition that crosses party lines. It’s Trump, a New Yorker born and raised, who leads in Republican polls from coast to coast because he understands the anxieties of the white working class better than Cruz, the supposed hero of flyover country, does. My pal Karl offers this line to Trump tonight when “New York values” comes up:

That’s Trump’s whole shtick distilled to a few sentences — as a wheeler-dealer in New York City, he’s scrapped with every financial, political, and media tough guy there is and he’s beaten them all. He’s battle-tested in a way Cruz could never be. The 9/11 line he uses in the clip is good too, of course, although he could go further if he wants. Another “New York value” is racial and religious diversity; Trump’s alt-right fans won’t like to hear him mention that, but they’ve been willing to ignore all of the other times he’s said “I love Mexicans” or “I love the blacks” on the trail. The media would go batsh*t if Donald Trump gave conservative ogre Ted Cruz a dressing down on national television for being insufficiently respectful of multiculturalism, especially if he praised their home base of NYC in doing so. It’s an easy way for Trump to soften his image as one of the “angry” intolerant voices that Nikki Haley complained about on Tuesday night. If Trump wants to get really cheeky, he could even throw in a crack about Cruz’s “Canadian values.” Which, let’s face it, is probably coming in one context or another anyway.

Via the Examiner, here’s Scarborough anticipating the media applause to come if Trump clashes with Cruz over this. Exit question: Ted Cruz seems pretty okay with “New York values” when he’s rattling his tin cup, no?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

We live in precarious times when we have a pro-Muslim, anti-American President about to be replaced by a corrupt, vindictive bitch or a ego-maniac, demagogue opportunist.

thesorcerer on January 15, 2016 at 3:04 AM

I like Cruz for some things and Trump for others though realize it’ll probably have to be Trump to overturn the GOPe/DNC Beltway..

viking01 on January 14, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Trump is better suited to take the wrecking ball to the establishment bullsh!t, because on key issues, especially immigration, Cruz is more or less in line with the establishment / Chamber of Commerce position.

I get the feeling that Cruz, a master with rhetoric, presents himself as tough on immigration and “against amnesty” … but Cruz’s history is of a pro-immigration Chamber friendly globalist.

Worse, Cruz appears to look like he’s completely sincere when Cruz is clearly not telling the truth. Like just days ago when Cruz said “I have NEVER BEEN for legalization” of the illegals and that his legalization amendment had nothing to do with legalization and was just a “poison pill” to kill the bill.

Well, Cruz’s own words spell a different story:

Cruz in 2013 on the Gang of 8:

“My objective was not to kill immigration reform, but it was to amend the Gang of Eight bill so that it actually solves the problem.” -Ted Cruz

“I want immigration reform to pass.” -Ted Cruz

“I believe if the amendments I introduced were adopted, that the bill would pass.” -Ted Cruz,

“If my amendment had been adopted, those who are here illegally would be eligible for what is called RPI status, a legal status, and, indeed, in time would be eligible for legal permanent residency.” -Ted Cruz

In December Brett Baier called out Cruz for this dishonesty on immigration (video at link).

anotherJoe on January 15, 2016 at 4:35 AM

Guess Trump would have us forget he donated to Hillary’s senate campaign. He’s a bloviating opportunist.

Lee Jan on January 15, 2016 at 7:40 AM

F New York.

America hates New Yorkers. Pretty clever of Cruz to exploit this.

Even funnier is seeing the HORROR in the faces of media talking heads.
Moesart on January 15, 2016 at 1:33 AM

America does not HATE New York, or New York City.

Disgust? … Disappointment? . . . . . . . .

Yeah, there’s a LOT of that.

listens2glenn on January 15, 2016 at 9:03 AM

When you knock New York, you’ve got to go through me.

So, do I take a number, or…?

Cheshire_Kat on January 15, 2016 at 9:16 AM

man oh man this thread.

conservatises hate more americans than isis does.

everdiso on January 15, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Maybe the NY values Cruz was talking about are the ones that people hold that voted for Bloomberg, DiBlasio and Cuomo who are very left libs that want to grab guns, raise taxes, limit your salt intake, and soda size, and make it more difficult for the police to do their jobs, those values. Cruz started out by saying that there are a lot of good, hard working people in NY, but that part somehow was forgotten in the rush to condemn him for slandering the 9-11 first responders which he didn’t do.

Kissmygrits on January 15, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Yes….We’ll see just how those NY values play out on Feb 1…They don’t play out well with this mom.

balkanmom2 on January 15, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Buttercup on January 15, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Trump/Bloomberg

right2bright on January 15, 2016 at 2:22 PM

I love the fact I’m born and raised in NY
I love the fact my children and grandchildren are born in and live in NY
I love the fact I moved out of NY 14 years ago
I hope and pray my family moves out of NY someday
Most of NY Not All of NY is Lib nut cases and deserves everything they get from the official’s they elect

IXXINY on January 15, 2016 at 4:22 PM

ROTFLMAO! N.Y. Residents and the MSM (composed mostly of New Yorkers) of the state that elected Cuomo, DeBlasio, Peter King, Hillary Clinton, anti-gun Republicans, etc.and is guaranteed to give their electors to whomever the Democratic is, get butt-hurt when it’s pointed out by Cruz that New York values are not the same as the rest of the country.
And they think that will hurt Cruz! ROTFMAO!!

rspock on January 16, 2016 at 10:28 AM

Bob, and let’s not forget Bloomburg.

rspock on January 16, 2016 at 10:31 AM

Ohh, and let’s not forget Bloomburg.{Thank you spell check.}

rspock on January 16, 2016 at 10:36 AM