Video: Phil Robertson locks down the south for Ted Cruz

posted at 10:01 pm on January 13, 2016 by Allahpundit

If you think Cruz’s success irritated Mike Huckabee before, wait until he sees this play for southern authenticity. Where does a damned Canadian get off hunting duck with the Robertsons?

Hard to watch this and not wonder if Cruz’s dig at Trump for embodying “New York values” wasn’t more carefully scripted than it seemed. It’s also further evidence after that spot about lawyers and journalists crossing the Rio Grande that Team Cruz has settled on humor as an ad strategy. That’s not just because they’re good at it, I take it, but because it helps soften Cruz’s image as a bomb-thrower prone to criticizing the left in apocalyptic tones. In fact, you can enjoy this ad on two levels. If you don’t know much about Cruz, Robertson’s support suggests he’s enough of a salt-of-the-earth guy to relish a duck hunt. If you do know much about Cruz, you can laugh at the image of the buttoned-down Harvard Law egghead in face paint and camo in a duck blind with Phil Robertson. (Andrew Kaczynski dubs Cruz’s get-up here “Zero Dark Nerdy.”) I think this is Team Cruz knowingly winking at the culture clash between his elite northeastern education and the southern populist voters he’s appealing to. It’s awkward, and charming because of the awkwardness. And the implicit message is clear: How could you doubt Ted Cruz’s godly rural authenticity if Phil Robertson doesn’t?

I don’t know how Trump out-southerns this, unless he’s prepared to reverse himself on the Confederate flag. Speaking of populism and blue-collar authenticity, in lieu of an exit question, try to guess who recently said this:

“As a party we speak a lot about deregulation and tax policy, and you know what? People have been hearing that for 25 years and they’re getting tired of that message,” [he] said in a recent interview. He added, “I think we’re nuts not to raise the minimum wage. I think as a party, to say we’re trying to help the middle class of America and the poor and not raise the minimum wage sends exactly the wrong signal.”

Sounds a bit like Mike Huckabee or John Kasich, except even further left in the exasperation expressed over Republicans refusing to raise the minimum wage. Give up? It’s … Mitt Romney. Yes, really — Mr. “47 Percent” himself, whose nominating convention was a tribute to entrepreneurship rather than wage-earning, and whose severe conservatism evidently doesn’t extend to basic right-wing dogma about wage effects on unemployment. You can always trust Mitt to find a talking point that would have helped him politically three or four years after the fact. A little duck-hunting with Phil Robertson in 2012 might have helped.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Loretta Lynn endorsing Trump means more than Phil Robertson’s endorsement.

ezspirit on January 14, 2016 at 4:27 AM

Video: Phil Robertson locks down the south for Ted Cruz

… and the southern populist voters he’s appealing to

I’ve got news for you, AP.

The Robertsons’ appeal is nationwide. Cruz the same.

“The South” appreciates your obviously stereotypical view of us, though.

hillbillyjim on January 14, 2016 at 7:19 AM

“The South” appreciates your obviously stereotypical view of us, though.

hillbillyjim on January 14, 2016 at 7:19 AM

Amen, hillbillyjim.

You cannot lump all Southerners together. It’s more likely that I’d try to save the ducks from the Dynasty.

I, and many other Southerners like me, choose our candidate very carefully by his/her words and deeds.

And I choose Cruz.

jakev on January 14, 2016 at 7:36 AM

Possum Holler loves our ducks……and Constitution!

#cruz

PappyD61 on January 14, 2016 at 7:44 AM

And how about this……example #4,788 of INCREMENTAL tyranny…….

When the minimum wage was first implemented it set the stage for the GOVERNMENT deciding how much millions could arbitrarily earn……here is the next step.

PappyD61 on January 14, 2016 at 7:48 AM

Yep.
Cruz.

justltl on January 14, 2016 at 7:50 AM

I like and respect old Phil, BUT I CAN THINK FOR MYSELF! I like Ted, but I don’t see him as the best fit for lead position in 2016. I like the background experience TRUMP brings to the table and see his shake it up style as the best approach we have with our government and country.

Nat George on January 14, 2016 at 8:04 AM

What a great ad…

Trump can counter with a ad of him going subsidy hunting…

They could show him killing off the local banks with his bank bail outs he supported…killing off manufacturing with tariff’s, sitting in the blind with AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka…maybe shooting a few Mexican’s crossing the border illegally…now that last idea I know many of his supporters would cheer.

right2bright on January 14, 2016 at 8:24 AM

Hey, if Hillary can do minstrel-speak, Ted can do quack-talk!

Don L on January 14, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Over-analyze much?

whatcat on January 14, 2016 at 8:42 AM

Trump issues an executive order stating he will no longer enforce federal laws violating the Constitution and will prosecute anyone obstructing people to exercise their second amendment rights
NWConservative on January 13, 2016 at 11:16 PM

Sorry if I don’t buy he would ever do something like that. Why would I believe someone who in the past supported the AWB and waiting periods? Someone who has spent countless dollars supporting politicians who have supported such policies. He has spent most of his life supporting that garbage, I’m not going to give him more power.

clement on January 14, 2016 at 8:43 AM

right2bright on January 14, 2016 at 8:24 AM

Haven’t you just dishonestly spent the last week or so claiming on every thread that you are just an honest, decent guy but get uncivilly attacked by Trump supporters.

Yes, that was you. But of course, you’ve been spewing nonsense like this since Trump got in the race.

As always, you are the most dishonest and childish commenter at HA.

Monkeytoe on January 14, 2016 at 8:50 AM

This Just In:
Krispy Kreme Donuts inc. Endorses Huckabee; Promises Daily Deliveries to White House if Elected.

“There,” said Huckabee, “now that’s an endorsement you can sink your teeth into…”
(PS: dear Huck: It’s OVER. Now slink away and become a has been commentator somewhere. Just like old times).

orangemtl on January 14, 2016 at 8:55 AM

“The South” appreciates your obviously stereotypical view of us, though.

hillbillyjim on January 14, 2016 at 7:19 AM

Amen, hillbillyjim.

You cannot lump all Southerners together.

jakev on January 14, 2016 at 7:36 AM

I think AP knows that.

Seems more likely to me we’re being trolled.

lynncgb on January 14, 2016 at 8:56 AM

Well, I’m a Southerner too but I don’t like duck hunting and I don’t care about the Robertsons… but I won’t hold this ad against Cruz.

It a good enough ad- much better than the GOPe lame-o-sphere usually produces.

But if its a slam at Trump and his northeastern value system- meh. Did anyone think we were unaware of Trump and his background, and that somehow this revelation would shock voters?

As a Trump supporter, I will confess that I’ve always found him unlikeable and obnoxious and the NewYorkyism is part of that. But I’m not voting Trump for his adorable smile or how much he likes the sports I like. I’m voting for a tool to do the things I think must be done.

Trump is, in my opinion, the sharpest sword and the heaviest hammer.

Dolce Far Niente on January 14, 2016 at 8:58 AM

right2bright on January 14, 2016 at 8:24 AM

Easy there sport. Cruz doesn’t need Trump to be illegitimate and hopelessly compromised, so no need to put words in his mouth. What we need is healthy competition based on substantive issues. Cruz can bring that, and Trump has Jeff Sessions’ notes from class to use… I kid.

Let’s talk immigration and what the candidates are saying. Cruz says let the existing resources do their job, and resume deporting illegal aliens as they are founds. No new national task force, just using what we have. This doesn’t happen in a vacuum. This is a corrective to the abuses of the Obama administration. Trump says deport them all, though the how remains vague, my assumption is that we’d need a fairly hefty expansion in INS to accomplish it at a 75% effectiveness rating within four years. He then says let the “good ones” back in, which can only rationally mean any that don’t have some meaningful mark on their record, which I assume is a large majority. That is red letter amnesty, and it is rewarding a lack of respect for our sovereignty with preferential treatment ahead of those who did respect our laws.

From a conservative standpoint, Cruz is much better on immigration. Honor the law which is the codified will of the people. Resist the urge to throw big government solutions at important problems to avoid swelling the ranks of our civil masters. Reward good behavior and punish bad behavior. Take measured steps to produce desired results. Conservatism isn’t always sexy, but it works every time its tried.

Immolate on January 14, 2016 at 9:01 AM

orangemtl on January 14, 2016 at 8:55 AM

And Christie is PO’ed.

He single handedly kept them afloat during the great recession.

cozmo on January 14, 2016 at 9:02 AM

As always, you are the most dishonest and childish commenter at HA.

Monkeytoe on January 14, 2016 at 8:50 AM

Grow up, get a sense of humor…

You closet liberals are irritating…you want to expand ObamaCare, you want to create artificial tariffs, you are for bail outs, federal subsidies…

And when someone points that out, you whine and cry like little babies…us conservatives won’t be intimidated by you liberals or your policies…you own them, you just won’t publicly claim them.

You should go post on Huffing or some other liberal website where you are welcome…at least Trump is honest about his liberal policies and states them clearly.

right2bright on January 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM

I think AP knows that.

Seems more likely to me we’re being trolled.

lynncgb on January 14, 2016 at 8:56 AM

I dunno about that, AP often doesn’t seem to have a clue about things outside of the 202-212 beltway codes.

whatcat on January 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM

“Trump is, in my opinion, the sharpest sword and the heaviest hammer.

Dolce Far Niente on January 14, 2016 at 8:58 AM”

Sure, but isn’t the problem that once it’s in your hand, as a tool, you can make the sword or hammer do what you want? The Donald, however, is a human being, not a tool, and his history in New York City contains very little evidence he’s going to do anything except schmooze with the Washington, DC establishment and negotiate a deal with them.

Billionaire Michael Bloomsberg used his billions to create a nationwide anti-gun organization.

The Koch brothers started Americans for Progress.

Trump hasn’t created or funded anything of interest to a conservative. In fact, he’s donated $100,000 to the Clinton Foundation and $50,000 to Rahm Emmanuel.

That sounds like a two-edged sword with a mind of its own to me.

saltlick on January 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM

Immolate on January 14, 2016 at 9:01 AM

I agree…Cruz is much more logical and not as emotional as Trump.

But where did I put “words in their mouth”…I posted a parody of an ad that Trump could run…it was a parody.

No where did I put “words in their mouth”…it’s what Trump supports, tariffs, federal subsidies, bail outs…those are his policies, from his own mouth and actions…

Parody: an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect:

Of course he wouldn’t sit in a duck blind with Trumka, he would be in board room…and he wouldn’t shoot any Mexican’s from a blind, maybe strafe them from his jet…

right2bright on January 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM

Grayson/Trump/Huck do not embody ‘Southern Values’ – Ted Cruz does.

Pork-Chop on January 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM

Trump is, in my opinion, the sharpest sword and the heaviest hammer.

Dolce Far Niente on January 14, 2016 at 8:58 AM

When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail…and a sword doesn’t hold it’s edge long…

right2bright on January 14, 2016 at 9:13 AM

Grayson/Trump/Huck do not embody ‘Southern Values’ – Ted Cruz does.

Pork-Chop on January 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM

You could substitute “Southern” with “American”…

right2bright on January 14, 2016 at 9:14 AM

conservageek on January 14, 2016 at 3:45 AM

There it is again, the naive stupid liberal muslim belief. So therefore, because we want to work with these mythical people, we therefore have to allow Muslim immigration to grow larger.

See you in the United States of Europe in 30 years and the United States of Turkey in 100.

NWConservative on January 14, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Grow up, get a sense of humor…

You are the obvious lefty here. YOu are an open borders nut.

as far as humor – you have been calling Trump supporters racist for a long time now. So, it is not a “joke” when you say Trump supporters would like an ad where Trump shoots mexicans.

As always, you are completely and utterly dishonest. You are, quite literally, the most dishonest commenter I have ever encountered on the internet, and that includes lefty trolls. You simply cannot ever be honest about everything.

You project and claim others do what you do – you have personally attacked trump supporters from day one as racist, stupid, etc. and then you cry and whine and cry and whine that they challenge your constant attacks and dishonesty. You are a true piece of work.

Nobody on this site believes you are honest or honorable. Even those who dislike Trump also dislike you. Because you are nasty and dishonest at every turn.

Once again – let’s go over actual facts, instead of the dishonest nonsense you spew.

The GOP has made clear since Obamacare passed that it would not repeal Obamacare. So, your argument that some GOPe candidate is going to repeal Obamacare is completely and utterly dishoenst.

The bail outs happened with a GOP congress. So, your claim that the GOPe candidate is against the bailouts is nonsense.

Tariffs – yes I support some tariffs. Conservatism does not equal unfettered free trade that ONLY benefits multi-national corporations at the expense of American Citizens. Idiots like you believe that free trade for multi-national corporations is the ONLY PURPOSE of conservatism. That makes you not conservative in the least, as you don’t understand conservatism.

right2bright on January 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM

You are such a dishonest hack. I have repeatedly explained why I support Trump to you – but as always – you must be dishonest, ignore everything I say, and instead create your own motivations for me and others. That is the liberal way.

Look, everyone here knows you are a liberal open-borders nut. We have comments from you from 1, 2, 4, and 6 years ago supporting amnesty and increased immigration. You deny it because you are 100% dishonest from tip to toe. But you and I both know it is true.

If ever you were capable of honesty, it would be a first.

Not only are you unpersuasive, but you actually force people to harden their support of Trump. Because if an open-borders lefty like you hates Trump that much, it means he is doing the right thing.

You are such a sad specimen. the funniest thing is you believe people buy your b.s. and are persuaded by your nonsense. Not once have you persuaded anyone that you are honest or correct on any issue. Because you are absurd. Like all lefties, you can’t argue in good faith or with actual facts, but must always resort to claiming anyone who disagrees with you is racist – hence your “joke” that Trump would make an ad where he shoots Mexicans.

What a sad little man.

Monkeytoe on January 14, 2016 at 9:35 AM

clement on January 14, 2016 at 8:43 AM

You mean someone who said something on that issue almost twenty years ago will never change their mind, ever?

Did you vote for Reagan? What a hypocrite that guy was, supporting and signing an abortion bill while governor and then flip-flopping and becoming pro life afterwards. Or how about when he decided to raise taxes to “balance the budget.” Did you know he was a labor union boss and worked with Democrats for years?

Or when he used the national guard to put Berkley on lockdown after protests there started? Given his current position, I think Ted Cruz would have started clutching his pearls about “jack boots” again, and would have called Reagan a fascist, TBSchemer style.

NWConservative on January 14, 2016 at 9:37 AM

whatcat on January 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM

I was giving AP the benefit of the doubt.
The only alternative was to view him as being an elitist Northerner with an absurd pre-conceived notion about Southerners.
I hope I was right to think he’s much smarter than that.

lynncgb on January 14, 2016 at 9:39 AM

If ever you were capable of honesty, it would be a first.

What a sad little man.

Monkeytoe on January 14, 2016 at 9:35 AM

I would have copied the whole thing, but to save space, I just chose my favorite part.

Magnificent work there.

NWConservative on January 14, 2016 at 9:41 AM

This is just more Anonymous Raghead Camel Molester derangement syndrome.

earlgrey on January 14, 2016 at 9:44 AM

If I could give any candidate some advice, but mostly Cruz, I would tell them to stick with the Constitution. You can’t go wrong with the Constitution.

Cindy Munford on January 14, 2016 at 10:06 AM

Immolate on January 14, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Well argued.

GWB on January 14, 2016 at 10:27 AM

There was one thing missing from the ‘qualifications’ required. Where was putting the duck in a pot and making a good ‘duck combo’? That’s what I was waiting for, Ted Cruz skinning a duck and cooking it. Maybe it was edited out?

TeaTrekkie on January 14, 2016 at 10:29 AM

Duck Dynasty is a great show but Phil Robertson looks kind of like the Ayatollah Khomeini with his beard.

Redstone on January 14, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Dolce Far Niente on January 14, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Others have already noted a variation of this – but I just don’t see the background with Trump that supports the statement you made.

I’m not saying he may or may not do things – I tend to think he will do things to get along with the upper crust, consistent with what he has done in his business life. I accept the two spheres are different – business and politics. But I do not have the faith of someone changing their way of doing things. I love the way he has driven the PC crowd nuts, and how he has really taught conservative pols how they can treat the media, which is a group beyond contempt.

But I don’t see any actions from his past that give me any reason to be confident of doing anything to really upset the status quo. What am I missing?

He isn’t going deport 12 million illegals in a month or two. He probably will end up doing pretty much what Cruz says he will do. Enforce the laws and drive self deportation. And I like that.

Zomcon JEM on January 14, 2016 at 10:41 AM

Immolate on January 14, 2016 at 9:01 AM

This is a good argument, but it fails in the fact that until forced rightward by Trump, Cruz was for amnesty for the illegals already here.

ALL of the GOP candidates have said – going back 20 years – that they would enforce the existing law. Yet none have.

Cruz tried to play coy on the amnesty issue, but finally was forced to take Trump’s position, which is no amnesty.

Now – the “good ones” equals giving a majority of illegals legal status? I think we all realize that is nonsense.

So, the real issue here comes down to who you believe more on the issue – Cruz or Trump. Which person’s current position do you truly believe?

To me, considering that Trump made it a centerpiece of his campaign, whereas Cruz only grudgingly changed his stance because he couldn’t otherwise compete with Trump, makes me trust Trump more on this issue.

I know, you will argue that Cruz has always been against Amnesty. But in reality, the record does not support that. From his votes regarding the Gang of 8, to past statements, to his refusal during this campaign to answer the simple question of what he would do with the illegals already here, it is pretty clear that he supported amnesty in the past. Yes, he tried to keep in on the QT and downplay it so people didn’t realize it, but he was for amnesty. I’m guessing it was a political calculation to allow him to tack left on the issue during a general election.

But, again, the issue comes down entirely to who do you trust on THIS issue.

I know a lot of people don’t trust Trump and like Cruz because Cruz has a conservative history whereas Trump does not.

But, for people who think this is the most important issue of the election, Cruz’s conservative past is irrelevant. (Also the fact that a GOP congress wouldn’t let a President Cruz do anything conservative – so the whole issue of who is most conservative is in practical terms irrelevant).

I’ll vote Cruz if he is the nominee, but frankly, I expect he’ll end up with the GOP on the illegal amnesty issue and border enforcement once elected, meaning no real increased enforcement and some form of amnesty for the illegals already here.

Monkeytoe on January 14, 2016 at 10:49 AM

So eastern college = nerd?
I wonder how Patton would have responded to that stereotype?

IcePilot on January 14, 2016 at 12:56 PM

“Where does a damned Canadian get off hunting duck with the Robertsons?”
Perhaps they were hunting Canadian Ducks.

IcePilot on January 14, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Andrew Kaczynski dubs Cruz’s get-up here “Zero Dark Nerdy.”

Kaczynski rhymes with Lewinsky

Trump gave the best possible answer when asked about Haley taking down the Confederate flag:“I would take it down, yes,” the billionaire real estate mogul said. “I think they should put it in a museum and respect whatever it is you have to respect.”

The press was trying to stage a confrontation with him and Haley. Haley was not going to put the flag up. She took it down to bolster her RINO credentials for an already in the works VP slot. She would use any confrontation to get face time, and she would b backed by the RINOs. Trump doesnt waste time on a deal he cant close. At the same time, he did not disrespect the image of the South – in fact he got the word ‘respect’ brilliantly inserted into his reply.

Trump is really, really smart. So smart dumb people think he is stupid

I stand in awe of his fast wits

Anytime someone digs up the Trump flag controversy, the quote surfaces with one honor, two respects and one wild card that can be leveraged to the moon. A perfect poker hand

entagor on January 14, 2016 at 1:34 PM

….someone complaining about Robertson and Cruz in blackface in 3….2….1….

Coach Marty on January 14, 2016 at 3:20 PM

Still no post about Phyllis Schlafly‘s ENDORSEMENT of Donald J. Trump, naming him as America’s last, best hope, Hot Air?

Sharr on January 14, 2016 at 4:53 PM

I’m a proud Southerner and it’s a tough choice between Trump and Cruz, but with The Donald’s attacks on Cruz I’m more and more on Ted’s side. I like the Robertsons, but I vote my own way.

I think I’m going to vote for Cruz.

By the way, Allahpundit, Southerners like you about as much as you like us — damn little. So keep up the bigotry, it suits you.

Conservchik on January 14, 2016 at 7:28 PM

I think I’m going to vote for Cruz.

Conservchik on January 14, 2016 at 7:28 PM

I don’t think you’re voting for Cruz because Trump “attacked” him. The criticisms have come from both sides. I’m also a proud Southerner and go with Trump.

Been there, done that, on candidates claiming to be conservative with all kinds of flip flops in their background.

cimbri on January 14, 2016 at 8:53 PM