Kerry thanks Iran for their “appropriate response” — as Iran airs video of U.S. sailor apologizing

posted at 1:21 pm on January 13, 2016 by Allahpundit

Ed mentioned Kerry’s statement earlier but it really deserves to be preserved with video. Nothing says “appropriate response” like parading the other side’s forces with their hands in the air on TV and airing footage of a captured servicemen formally apologizing for misdeeds:

The commonly accepted term for that is “hostage video.” I wonder what was said to that sailor to make him submit to that humiliation on camera. Iran claimed last night that U.S. officials also apologized to them, although the U.S. denies it. Whom to believe?

This footage of the seizure of the crew and of the sailors in captivity violates the prohibition in the Geneva Conventions against exposing captured troops to “insults and public curiosity” and yet we’ve got one unnamed Obama advisor talking up how well the sailors were treated and the Secretary of State himself thanking Iran publicly. One fear universally echoed by skeptics of the Iran deal was that it would force the White House to bend over backwards to avoid even the perception of conflict with Iran. Any point of conflict, after all, would give opponents of the deal reason to howl that Obama should tear it up and reinstate sanctions. Worse, it might give Iran itself reason to walk away, leaving Obama’s biggest foreign-policy “achievement” — and his hope for rapprochement with Iran — in ashes. The White House, critics therefore predicted, would have no choice but to act as “Iran’s lawyer” in the court of public opinion, downplaying Iranian misdeeds in order to claim that diplomacy is working. How’s that prediction looking today? How did it look last week, when Iran objected to new U.S. sanctions over its ballistic missile program and the White House responded by quickly yanking them off the table?

This supposedly simple naval misunderstanding, which even the Revolutionary Guard claims was the result of a “mechanical problem” with one of the American boats, seems to involve a lot of gratuitous humiliation by Iran. Which raises the question: Why did Kerry feel compelled to make this statement publicly? He’d already issued a written statement thanking Iran for their cooperation, as noted by Ed. Why compound the embarrassment by thanking them again on camera after they’d made a spectacle of the sailors? This cuts to the fundamental problem with the nuclear agreement — in the end, we need the deal moe than Iran does. They have the leverage and both sides know it. We’re days away from lifting $100 billion in sanctions, which should have made Tehran very eager to resolve the situation with the sailors as quietly as possible. Instead they turned them into propaganda because they know the White House has no choice but to spin hostile behavior by Iran as no big deal. I think Kerry’s goal in speaking publicly was, surreally, to try to claim this incident as proof that diplomacy is working because, after all, no one on either side ended up dead. In reality, I think it operates as reassurance to Iran that yes, even in a humiliating situation like this, Team Hopenchange will continue to go to the mat to protect cordial relations, even if that requires America’s top diplomat to embarrass himself in front of the country.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You want to think I’m unhappy, but I’m really not. On the contrary my life is going pretty well. My wife and I have been married just over ten years, I graduated with a masters recently, got a job that allows us to pay off my school bills and gets some fun toys. My kids are almost adults which means pretty soon they’ll be off at college and my wife and I can enjoy more couples time. All in all life is pretty good.

Tlaloc on January 13, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Clearly your life is messed up. Have you been married twice?

That would be a sin against Almighty God (and one of the few that I haven’t even personally committed)

DarkCurrent on January 13, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Tlaloc on January 13, 2016 at 3:52 PM

You may have the externals together but it’s pretty obvious that inside you’re really not all that satisfied. If you were you wouldn’t spend so much time making sure everybody else around you was miserable.

Cleombrotus on January 13, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Cleombrotus on January 13, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Exactly. Nobody wants to hear a different opinion. It’s upsetting microaggression.

DarkCurrent on January 13, 2016 at 4:08 PM

Tlaloc on January 13, 2016 at 3:52 PM

How much do you make? I’d hate for you to be guilty of any income inequality. Tell you what, you send me your paychecks and I’ll see that they’re distributed among the workers.

mankai on January 13, 2016 at 4:12 PM

I feel bad for your wife. It must suck to be forced to spend time alone with an idiot.

blink on January 13, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Exactly blink. No person should have to go through that.

DarkCurrent on January 13, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Allah, it’s worse than you think. Kerry and Ashcroft called Iran and asked them to HELP our soldiers, who were having mechanical problems!

Instead of calling the navy, he called Iran. Unfreaking believable.

Grace B. Withue on January 13, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Well it all makes sense now. BO wants this deal and wants to give the money back to Iran. So we get a staged “failure” so that we can call on our good friends in Iran to “rescue” our people. It make Iran look real friendly and willing to work with us as “friends”. The only problem being that Iran decided to go full hostage propaganda and leave BO and JFK to clean up the PR mess here while the Iranians are heralded as heroes in Iran and by the useful idiots here at home. All and all it was well played by Iran and a great embarrassment for BO on the world stage.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 13, 2016 at 4:14 PM

DarkCurrent on January 13, 2016 at 4:08 PM

I’m not surprised that you can’t see what I’m referring to either.

Cleombrotus on January 13, 2016 at 4:18 PM

Frankly given that the US doesn’t seem to have a problem here you aren’t sticking up for america but for conspiracy theorists.

Tlaloc on January 13, 2016 at 3:08 PM

I’m not inclined to stick up for Obama or Kerry because neither one has uttered a truthful word in decades.

Lance Corvette on January 13, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Tlaloc on January 13, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Sorry, pansy boy, but Obama and Kerry aren’t America. There’s no conspiracy. Obama and his minions are weak-kneed fools and it’s obvious to all except liberals who would say thanks for the beating, may I have more sir?

Misha on January 13, 2016 at 4:43 PM

I’m not surprised that you can’t see what I’m referring to either.

Cleombrotus on January 13, 2016 at 4:18 PM

I see and find it entertaining

DarkCurrent on January 13, 2016 at 4:49 PM

Embarrassing. Even worse our “leadership” thanked Iran for their “good treatment” of the sailors. How about not taking them captive at gun point the first place. I’m so sick of this cowardly and feckless Administration.

I just saw Air Force One fly over as Obama was in Omaha today. Good riddance. I’m so ashamed of my govt with their repeated acts of capitulation and appeasement to a nation that is one of the biggest sponsors of terrorism and whose motto is essentially “Death to America”

Every time I even see Obama, Kerry and the other traitors to the American people on TV I’m filled with rage even before the first lie comes out of their mouths. Thing is, I don’t like feeling that way about my our country’s leadership. It makes me sad in a way but it’s their actions and deeds that have driven me to this. They’re absolutely destructive the the well being and security to this nation.

Yakko77 on January 13, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Last week a ballistic missile almost hit a ship. This week hostages. It is clear to anyone with a brain that Iran is testing the United States, and the cajoneless people in Washington are failing miserably.

melle1228 on January 13, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Iran is like Obama’s bad boyfriend.

The more parents tell their daughter that this guy is no good for you, the tighter she clings to him and the more she defends him.

“You guys just don’t understand! You don’t see what I see.” LOL

Oxymoron on January 13, 2016 at 5:11 PM

What a sniveling weasel of a man. He almost beats Obama in the weasel factor.

I hope his wife beats his scrawny azz and punches him the face again.

The lovely, charming Teresa’ Heinz. I don’t know how much more of this I can stand.

Key West Reader on January 13, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Iran is like Obama’s bad boyfriend.

“You guys just don’t understand! You don’t see what I see.” LOL

Oxymoron on January 13, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Larry Sinclair saw ‘it’ and ended up dead

I can’t wait until this farce is over and this man is reduced to a sh*t flinging thug on the streets of Chicago.

Key West Reader on January 13, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Wow, what a horrible crime!

Kenny Bania on January 13, 2016 at 3:02 PM

Yeah, almost as horrible a crime as when Israel “sank” the USS Liberty in 1967…

Del Dolemonte on January 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM

blink on January 13, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Exactly blink. No person should have to go through that.

DarkCurrent on January 13, 2016 at 4:13 PM

“Mrs. Tlaloc”, lol.

Even worse, the two of them spawned…more than once…

Del Dolemonte on January 13, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Key West Reader on January 13, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Yeah, Kerry is a Darwin Award candidate who got lucky. His lack of basic intelligence is gobsmacking. What a freak.

Misha on January 13, 2016 at 5:24 PM

Key West Reader on January 13, 2016 at 5:16 PM

Larry Sinclair bought the farm?

Misha on January 13, 2016 at 5:26 PM

So everybody agree the incident was caused by mechanical failure, Iran rescued our soldiers and returned them and the boats in less than a day.

And the problem is?

Kenny Bania on January 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Your problem is that the US Navy has ruled out mechanical failure.

“RAISE THE U.S.S. LIBERTY!!!!!”

Del Dolemonte on January 13, 2016 at 5:28 PM

And the problem is?

Kenny Bania on January 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM

The problem is Iran has a inferiority complex so does Oblamer
Americans are inferior to him. There is no need to humiliate our
country’s finest put them on there knees and apologize for all of our
vessels engines failing at the same time? get a clue kenny
a Real American would not defend this Bullsh!t

MrMoe on January 13, 2016 at 5:48 PM

LOL, yea, that pic from James Woods screams RESCUE!

Somehow, I don’t picture people made to be on their knees, bootless with hands up behind my head as being… Rescued.
Looks more like SURRENDER to me, but then again I am an American.

I’m out before I go and get myself banned… this is utterly disgraceful.

Voodoo Chile on January 13, 2016 at 6:52 PM

John Kerry is giving Hillary Clinton a run for her money as “Worst Sec of State Ever”. All he needs now is to kill four men and they’re even!!

Aslans Girl on January 13, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Seeing our sailors on their KNEES begging for forgiveness has literally made me sick to my stomach. This is just what Obama wants, our military humiliated.

If Hillary thinks ISIS uses TRUMP to recruit, what does she think they’ll do with this? Her boss is a bigger recruiting tool than anyone else.

Aslans Girl on January 13, 2016 at 7:23 PM

I think Kerry’s goal in speaking publicly was, surreally, to try to claim this incident as proof that diplomacy is working…

OMG, I thought I had already experienced mind-blowing outrage over this administration’s actions. I’m speechless here.

UPNorthWolf on January 13, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Dropping off bales of cash from Obama.

newportmike on January 13, 2016 at 9:34 PM

From what I’ve read both the US and Iran agree the issue was mechanical failure. I’m sure you can find someone to say this is impossible, but why would you believe them? I’m sure our Navy could have rescued them but given that it apparently happened in Iranian waters that’s not our choice to make. They handled it.

Tlaloc on January 13, 2016 at 3:08 PM

At some point the U.S. government — maybe even the Obama administration — is going to admit there was no mechanical failure, that it was an abduction in international waters.

The “it was a rescue” meme will soon join “it was the video.” We’ll all remind you of your prior beliefs, you’ll pick up your goal posts and change the subject, and life will go on.

Lolo on January 13, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Can’t help but wonder if this admin got word somehow to the sailors it’d be okay to ‘cooperate’ to get their release.

If, on the other hand, military culture has been so corrupted as to enable this kind of thing, then heaven help us all.

petefrt on January 14, 2016 at 6:54 AM

Kerry is just the same enemy pandering scum he was during the Vietnam war.

rplat on January 14, 2016 at 7:27 AM

Giuliani on F&F just said Obama should call for Kerry’s resignation over mishandling of Iran capture.

petefrt on January 14, 2016 at 7:28 AM

blink on January 13, 2016 at 4:07 PM

“Mrs. Tlaloc”, lol.

Even worse, the two of them spawned…more than once…

Del Dolemonte on January 13, 2016 at 5:18 PM

Not buying it. Someone as happy as he claims to be wouldn’t waste their time trolling on the internet. But I guess it get him in less trouble with the missus than kicking the dog.

CurtZHP on January 14, 2016 at 7:33 AM

petefrt on January 14, 2016 at 6:54 AM

Laura Ingraham suspects this also (Radio show 10:40AM).

petefrt on January 14, 2016 at 10:45 AM