San Francisco moves to mandate gender neutral bathrooms

posted at 8:01 pm on January 12, 2016 by Jazz Shaw

Upon reading the headline, I’m guessing that the first reaction among many of you was something along the lines of, What? You mean they didn’t already? Because if there’s one place in the country which has traditionally been on the forefront of the SJW movement it’s San Francisco. How did they not already have a sizable tranche of laws in place mandating what people do in bathrooms, showers and locker rooms? But shocking as it may seem, they didn’t, and the City Supervisor is on the job, setting things to rights. (Time Magazine)

On Monday, San Francisco Supervisor David Campos took the first substantive steps toward changing that when he announced plans to introduce a bill that would make many city bathrooms gender-neutral.

The measure would mandate that all single-occupancy bathrooms in the city be relabeled as places for all genders, rather than solely “men” or “women,” and that new buildings constructed in the city have a gender-neutral bathroom on each floor. The bill would also go beyond similar laws in other cities by putting in place sweeping enforcement mechanisms, including a complaint process handled by the Human Rights Commission, an LGBT rights organization, and adding these facilities as a standard checklist item for building inspections.

The measure, which is expected to pass easily, will add San Francisco alongside Philadelphia, Seattle, Washington, D.C., West Hollywood, Calif. and Austin, Texas, to the list of cities with gender-neutral bathroom provisions.

This is one of those good news bad news stories and anyone who’s been following the parallel battles around the nation can likely spot the fly in Dave Campos’ ointment right out of the gate. First the good news: if this is implemented as worded it’s really of no matter to anyone and won’t cause any problems. The wording of the proposal simply says that a single user bathroom which is unisex must be provided in government and public spaces. So what? Do you know what the difference is between a ladies room with a single stall / sink and a gender neutral bathroom with one stall and sink? You tear the sign off the door. When the door is locked it’s occupied. When it’s not, you open the door, go inside, lock the door and use it regardless of your gender. No fuss. No muss. No problem. My doctor’s office has two of them just like that and it’s never been an issue.

Now for the bad news. The Social Justice Warriors will never in a million years be satisfied with that type of statute and Campos is probably already getting an earful over it. You see, the San Francisco proposal is far too sensible. If, in some larger office or facility, you have a ladies room, a men’s room and a single user, gender neutral bathroom, that doesn’t achieve the actual goal. The purpose of the SJW efforts on this front is not to just make sure that there’s a space where everyone can feel comfortable and get along. You must be made to care and to participate. There has to be a ladies room specifically designated for women and if there is a guy who dresses like a girl (I’m sorry… self identifies as one) they must be allowed to go in there no matter what the actual women think about it. Anything short of that is unacceptable and the City Supervisor is going to learn that lesson very quickly.

Best of luck to Dave Campos. It was a valiant try, Dave, but I’m afraid you’re not cut out for life in 21st century San Francisco. (Or most other cities outside of Houston for that matter.)

bathroom

Comments

Do you have a penis? If yes, go in this door. If no, go in this other door.

Why is this so complicated?

VinceOfDoom on January 12, 2016 at 8:07 PM

If you like your private bathroom stall, you can keep your private bathroom stall. Just share it.

Rix on January 12, 2016 at 8:08 PM

Does the Mayor have a gender neutral head, how about the city council members.

RickB on January 12, 2016 at 8:12 PM

That’s excellent.

Axe on January 12, 2016 at 8:14 PM

*I meant in the sense of nailing it.

Axe on January 12, 2016 at 8:15 PM

San Fransicko wanted to go with “Freak” and “Non-Freak” restrooms until realizing that would mean 50 percent clean, practically unused restrooms by only the tourists using the latter.

viking01 on January 12, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Everyplace that has facilities just needs to merge them into one (1) great big, GIANT sized public restroom, with lot’s of stalls.
How’s that, for an ‘SJW approved’ solution?

listens2glenn on January 12, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Anyone is welcome..
Just don’t play footsies with your neighbors..

Electrongod on January 12, 2016 at 8:16 PM

San Francisco making a bold move to ascend a few places on the various Top Ten Cities Most Likely To Be Nuked By Iran Courtesy Of DogEater lists …

ShainS on January 12, 2016 at 8:16 PM

San Francisco…look for the NAMBLA seal of Approval.

ToddPA on January 12, 2016 at 8:18 PM

If I wanted to watch a bunch of leftists go pee up a rope, I’d put on C-Span…

Newtie and the Beauty on January 12, 2016 at 8:18 PM

“If you’re going to San Francisco…be sure to wear some
flowers in your hair”….

-the late great Scott Mackenzie.

ToddPA on January 12, 2016 at 8:21 PM

The Islamic State should employ this policy with both hands,
er,………….!

canopfor on January 12, 2016 at 8:22 PM

I want open, elbow to elbow commodes like we had in my Army basic training barracks. Now that’s equality.

Mason on January 12, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Soon..

Gender Neutral Bathrooms will be required to have Climate Change fallout shelters…

A blanket…
an A/C…
Instructions in 20 languages..

Electrongod on January 12, 2016 at 8:23 PM

I see a lot of people use the streets in SF for Thier bathroom
Totally gender neutral

IXXINY on January 12, 2016 at 8:24 PM

I hope they mandate gender neutral public showers before I’m too old to enjoy those old high school fantasies … /

ShainS on January 12, 2016 at 8:25 PM

The streets in SF are paved in liquid gold

IXXINY on January 12, 2016 at 8:26 PM

I’m guessing this is intentionally vague.

Single occupancy restrooms are almost always unisex anyway, unless there is more than one in a cluster.

And new buildings requiring a gender-neutral restroom on each floor? Is that in addition to male and female restrooms? And is it a single-occupant restroom? If so, there’s nothing really edgy about this except the extra cost for the added tranny pots.

BKeyser on January 12, 2016 at 8:28 PM

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

307wolverine on January 12, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Heads UP:
———

*************** SOTUA ************************:)

#SOTU
*******

===============

JANUARY 12, 2016 AT 9:00 PM ET
State of the Union Address 2016
*******************************

========================

The 2016 State of the Union – January 12 at 9PM ET
**************************************************

President Obama will deliver his final State of the Union address tonight at 9PM ET.
Watch how far we’ve come in the past seven years:
Watch how far we’ve come in the past seven years:
========================

canopfor on January 12, 2016 at 8:32 PM

I just saw the name “Dave Campos” and thought somehow that’s where the former Cowboys’ head coach with the 15–33 record finally landed. Would certainly be fitting!

Ed Driscoll on January 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Why do I have to put on a dress to use the ladies room? Why can’t I use while dressed as a guy? How dare the SJW brownshirts demand I conform to outmoded cultural norms from patriarchal times!

rbj on January 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM

ToddPA on January 12, 2016 at 8:21 PM

There’s also that timely variant on Scott Mackenzie’s song:

“If you’re going to San Francisco…be sure to wear some
***-proof underwear…”

viking01 on January 12, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Anyone is welcome..
Just don’t play footsies with your neighbors..
Electrongod on January 12, 2016 at 8:16 PM

I can’t help it, I’ve got a .. “w .. i .. d .. e .. stance

listens2glenn on January 12, 2016 at 8:41 PM

So you don’t actually know that the “SJW” crowd will be unhappy?

Got it. Let us know when you actually have a point.

Tlaloc on January 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Are the SJW ever happy with anything?

bazil9 on January 12, 2016 at 8:44 PM

At least Libfree and weedisgood have a place to go t o t he bathroom now.

The Notorious G.O.P on January 12, 2016 at 8:49 PM

The Democrats got their rape culture thing and now they’re trying to get us altogether in the toilets. I’m sure it’s perfectly innocent.

Buddahpundit on January 12, 2016 at 8:50 PM

So you don’t actually know that the “SJW” crowd will be unhappy?
Tlaloc on January 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Ohhh, I think we do.

listens2glenn on January 12, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Lived in CA all my life… NOTHING that happens in SF or Berzerkley ever surprises me.

I discourage me kids from going to either, less they be shot in the face by an illegal scumbag.

Sad really, I used to go to both when I was in my 20’s and have crazy fun times… How things change so rapidly.
Progressive Liberals are like a terminal cancer.

Voodoo Chile on January 12, 2016 at 8:56 PM

BKeyser on January 12, 2016 at 8:28 PM

I think the term you are looking for is…”Group Grope”

ToddPA on January 12, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Voodoo Chile on January 12, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Yeah, I’m from Cali originally. In my teens (over 20 years ago)
and I really enjoyed SF. But oh yeah..times have changed. Sadly the state is now destroyed.

bazil9 on January 12, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Well, now the troll won’t have to hold it anymore when out in public.

CurtZHP on January 12, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Just wait until the female voters have to continually deal with urine stained seats.

GarandFan on January 12, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Do you have a penis Y chromosome? If yes, go in this door. If no, go in this other door.

Why is this so complicated?

VinceOfDoom on January 12, 2016 at 8:07 PM

FIFY

Dark Star on January 12, 2016 at 10:35 PM

The better solution is to exterminate the freaks and moral defectives

By flame thrower because they are flaming

Mr Soames on January 12, 2016 at 10:35 PM

But what about transgender zombies?? And those “people” Dr. Moreau grew from animals ??

Sherman1864 on January 12, 2016 at 11:26 PM

streets in SF are paved in liquid gold
IXXINY on

Velveeta?

Nutstuyu on January 12, 2016 at 11:33 PM

Social justice would be David Campos being the first to be sexually assaulted in a gender neutral bathroom.

edrebber on January 12, 2016 at 11:59 PM

There’s nothing wrong with San Francisco that a 9.3 earthquake couldn’t fix.

Ward Cleaver on January 13, 2016 at 12:13 AM

Two words: MAN PEE

Don’t wanna hear it, see it or smell it. Gonna have to tote bacterial wipes for the door handles now, because some men don’t wash their hands after handling you-know-what.

If they are going to do this, then there should be a law that all bathroom doors must be able to be pushed open from the inside without having to touch any hardware after you wash your hands.

Allahs vulva on January 13, 2016 at 1:27 AM

Do you have a penis? If yes, go in this door. If no, go in this other door.

VinceOfDoom on January 12, 2016 at 8:07 PM

Womyn SJW: “But my mom said with one of these, I can get all the penises I want.”

Wino on January 13, 2016 at 4:18 AM

It’s really no concern to me. You see, I identify as “male” which means that I piss in the bushes and most of my ca-ca ends up as a stain in my underdrawers.

jbspry on January 13, 2016 at 5:21 AM

Waiting to see all the YouTube videos of ladies using the urinals…

albill on January 13, 2016 at 8:33 AM

I can’t wait for the feminazis to sit on the toilet seat with P_ss over over it. Then, there’s the disgusting clogged toilet that they probably haven’t experienced. The only down side for men is the inevitable lines.

cajunpatriot on January 13, 2016 at 8:44 AM

No wonder the Muslims hate us.

John the Libertarian on January 13, 2016 at 9:14 AM

So you don’t actually know that the “SJW” crowd will be unhappy?

Got it. Let us know when you actually have a point.

Tlaloc on January 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Sweety, the SJW crowd is never going to be happy.

Please tell me you’re not this clueless, regardless of every bit of evidence to the contrary….

runawayyyy on January 13, 2016 at 9:29 AM

In April, 1906, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake shook San Fransisco. A subsequent fire destroyed most of the city. 3,000 people died.

Oh. Wait. What was the question again?

locomotivebreath1901 on January 13, 2016 at 9:40 AM

I predict the number of women who will be attacked by men lurking in bathrooms will go up.

djl130 on January 13, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Can anyone leave the seat up?

RSbrewer on January 13, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Two words: MAN PEE

Allahs vulva on January 13, 2016 at 1:27 AM

Urine is bacteria free and most men probably don’t pee on their hands anyways. But I personally never touch the door handle in the bathroom. After washing my hands I use the paper towel I dried my hands off with.

John2A on January 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM

We stopped going to SF before it became a ridiculous stealing/murderous sanctuary city because for years under Willie, Newsom and now the current mayor it has been a lost, ugly, dirty, immoral, non-patriotic city charging outrageous charges for food, lodgings, rent, and why Apple people moved there is beyond us. I remember SF as a beautiful city for shopping, eating, cleanliness (not full of homeless and invaders (not illegals but invaders on our soil), and a beautiful place for tourists to visit. No more. No charm, just filth and crimes up the kazu! We live an hour away and thank God because it is like a wall between us and their Bizarro world. If you thought LA was bad, you can add SF to the list, and I hope and pray San Diego doesn’t get lost in this garbage as well. Another reason why so many of us want to separate from these cities and associate in forming a new state with the bottom half of OR where reasonable, like-minded Americans can live in freedom and not fear!

Roselle on January 13, 2016 at 11:46 AM

John2A on January 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM

First, that doesn’t mean urine is not icky. Men’s and women’s, to be fair.
And now that we’re saving money and waste, there are no more paper towels; just those electric blow-driers. (Until there’s a shortage of electricity, you understand.)

So: Long-sleeved shirts? Or bring-your-own paper goods?

ReggieA on January 13, 2016 at 12:46 PM

The ‘All Gender Restroom’ graphic at the end of this piece is a bit weird. It seems to imply that if you’re in a wheelchair, that’s another gender. So now we have LBGTP – for Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transsexual, and Paralytic?

s1im on January 13, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Restrooms aren’t really needed in San Francisco. They can always do it in the road.

virgo on January 14, 2016 at 12:22 AM