Quinnipiac: Trump leads Cruz in Iowa for the first time in a month. 31/29

posted at 6:01 pm on January 11, 2016 by Allahpundit

That’s within the margin of error, but Trump leads of any sort have been scarce in Iowa lately. He also topped Cruz in the last Quinnipiac poll of the state taken in early and mid-December, 28/27, and led narrowly in a PPP poll of Iowa taken around the same time. But of the last 10 surveys conducted there, those were the only two where he took first. He trailed Cruz in the other six and tied him in another.

Is this statistical noise or Cruz’s grasp beginning to slip?

q1

Note the last two columns. Among college grads, Cruz leads comfortably by seven. Among non-college grads, Trump leads comfortably by eight. That’s not the first time we’ve seen that divide in primary polling this year. Bearing that in mind, have a look at what Quinnipiac found when they asked Iowans if they’ve ever caucused before or if this is their first time:

q2

Who are the two biggest cohorts of first-time caucusgoers? Right: Non-college grads and moderate/liberal Republicans, the two pillars of Trump’s base. If they’re true to their word and Trump ends up turning out droves of voters who’ve stayed away from the party in the past, Cruz will have his hands full next month. That said, Cruz and Marco Rubio are both well regarded by Iowans without college degrees — even more so than Trump is, believe it or not. Cruz leads the field in favorability (a growing trend lately) at 75/17 overall with a nearly identical number of 76/16 among non-college grads. Rubio’s numbers are 67/22 and 65/24, respectively. Trump’s are 61/34 and 64/31. Enough ink has been spilled on how different Trump fans are from rank-and-file Republicans that it seems weird and surprising that his base is derived from a pool of people who are well-disposed towards establishment favorite Rubio, but that’s what the data here says. In fact, if you’re looking for demographic groups that view Trump noticeably more favorably than Rubio, you should skip the non-college grads and focus on ideology. Among tea partiers, Rubio’s favorables are a healthy 66/25. Trump’s are … 75/21. (Cruz’s are an astronomical 91/6.) Bet you didn’t see that coming circa 2011.

All things considered, in fact, this is a good poll for Rubio. No one expects him to win the state; a respectable third with a surprisingly strong finish might be all he needs to finally break the center-right logjam in New Hampshire. He could easily crack 20 percent in Iowa if Christie, Kasich, and Bush fans there start abandoning their guys as lost causes and caucus for Rubio to give him some momentum in NH. It’s hard to see him coming all the way back to threaten for second place, though. When you dive more deeply into Quinnipiac’s crosstabs, you’ll see that it’s a two-man race on all the major issues. On the economy, terrorism, and taxes, Trump leads Cruz big. On foreign policy, social issues, and personal traits like trustworthiness, experience, and caring about the problems of people like you, Cruz outpolls Trump, sometimes handily. What could possibly happen over the next month to somehow insert Rubio into the thick of a battle between the staunch conservative Cruz and the angry populist Trump? How does Rubio get to, say, 30 percent? Or does it matter, given how low expectations are for him in Iowa?

Meanwhile, Jeb Bush is at three percent. I guess the billboard didn’t work, huh? Exit question: Will Trump’s attacks on Cruz’s eligibility ultimately tip a close race in Iowa his way? Or will it be … another issue that does it? I can’t imagine a more encouraging sign of the Republican Party’s health than if Trump won the caucuses on a mix of Birtherism and ethanol pandering.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

He said a lot of people who support Trump wouldn’t admit to it.

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2016 at 7:16 PM

As a GOP precinct committeeman, I have not tipped my hand. It’s kind of fun. (I really like Cruz but I’m all in for Trump/Cruz 2016.)

Fallon on January 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Don’t you know that favorability, especially net favorability, when you add that to the square root of democrat crossover and magic sauce you get Trump at 4%, Cruz at 42%, Rubio at 40%, and Kasich 110%.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Well, Kasich is just naturally likeable, they could all learn from him.

Joseph K on January 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM

Careful. Trump put a tariff on imported cheeses and wines.

portlandon on January 11, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Sounds good to me. Its high time to support local cheeses and wines anyway.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Iowa Governor Terry Branstad Questions Ted Cruz Citizenship – And Other Issues Candidate Ted Cruz Can Never Reconcile…

Garyinaz66 on January 11, 2016 at 7:36 PM

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Polling has been screwed up for a while now. I expect to be surprised.

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Hot Air, where’s the post about Phyllis Schlafly‘s endorsement of Donald Trump?

In an exclusive hour-long sit down interview with Breitbart News, 91-year-old conservative icon and living legend Phyllis Schlafly declared that Donald Trump “is the only hope to defeat the Kingmakers,” and detailed why she believes Trump alone will return the government to the people. She warned that if immigration is not stopped: “we’re not going to be America anymore.”

You’d think this would merit a post around here?

Sharr on January 11, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Yes, funny how the most conservative icon in the R party lauds Trump as the only hope, but that does not fit the HA “he’s not a conservative” narrative. what they really mean is “he’s not going to do the Chamber’s bidding”, so they have to obfuscate to get their GOPe amnesty hero on top.

Senator Philip Bluster on January 11, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Sounds good to me. Its high time to support local cheeses and wines anyway.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:36 PM

The single best cheese I have eaten in years, Meadow Creek Grayson, is made here in Virginia.

Joseph K on January 11, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Oh my, first Phyllis Schlafly, then Diana West, and now… the Coal Miner’s Daughter. I HEART these women.

Fallon on January 11, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Thank you for that! I’ve always been a big fan of Loretta Lynn’s and knowing she supports Trump makes me love her even more! She says she wants to actively campaign for him and endorses him after her concerts. God bless her!! That put a yuge smile on my face :)

Aslans Girl on January 11, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Well, Kasich is just naturally likeable, they could all learn from him.

Joseph K on January 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM

He will karate chop his way to the White House!

Did you hear his father was a postman?

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Fallon on January 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM

It’s been a fun crazy season. I really like Cruz myself but I honestly don’t know what is going to happen. Given how much everyone is pushing the Trump is Icky meme, I can imagine that there are a fair amount of people who like him but don’t want to admit it. Even funnier, I think a lot of those people are Democrats.

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Polling has been screwed up for a while now. I expect to be surprised.

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2016 at 7:40 PM

I will seriously be surprised if Trump doesn’t get at least what he’s polling at giving the crowds at his campaign stops.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:46 PM

[Trump] He’ll be joined on stage by Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Florida Gov. Marco Rubio, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Ohio Gov. John Kasich.

That makes 7 – still 3 too many but better.

BoxHead1 on January 11, 2016 at 7:46 PM

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:46 PM

That’s a good point. I don’t think that many people come out just because he’s famous.

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Oh!
Well!
That will happen then!

Such dupes. He’s getting no where near the White House.
Ever.

Marcus on January 11, 2016 at 6:16 PM

The latest nugget of intellectual wisdom from the commenter who has not ever even one time exhibited the least bit of insight beyond “Trumpy iz a Klown and he will not win B-Cuz he is such a Klown that Trumpy.”

Right Mover on January 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Joseph K on January 11, 2016 at 7:42 PM

That sounds delicious!

I love cheese.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM

BoxHead1 on January 11, 2016 at 7:46 PM

Who is this Bush fellow?

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Cruz is the Gingrich of this cycle. He is going to fall like Herman Cai…er… Carson before him. Walker was the Perry, and like him came in with a bang and went out with a whimper.

Trump is Romney +15 pts in polling.

What I want to know is who is going to be the Santorum?

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:07 PM

There may not be a Santorum. I’m not sure who is left to have a boomlet except Christie (and he doesn’t seem like a good fit). Kasich is the Huntsman.

I regret what happened to Newt in 2012, honestly. I think he’d have done a good job as president and was one of his supporters once it became clear Palin wasn’t running.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:46 PM

I am hoping deep down he’ll overperform in Iowa and blow everyone away.

Doomberg on January 11, 2016 at 7:49 PM

That makes 7 – still 3 too many but better.

BoxHead1 on January 11, 2016 at 7:46 PM

I. AM. SO. GLAD. JAKE?!?! ISN’T. THERE.

There is no room for Carly Interruptus on stage.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Little perspective on the polling: both the Quinnipiac and ARG polls have Trump leading within the margin of error (+/- 4), while the Fox News and NBC/Marist polls of Iowa over the same period still show Cruz in the lead http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/01/11/new-polls-trump-leads-nh-neck-and-neck-cruz-iowa).

David Marcoe on January 11, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Cindy Munford on January 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM

That meme is done now that he’s been running for six months. I didn’t think it ever was the case.

There is no way a liberal SJW fan of Trump’s media career is going to go to a Donald Trump Republican rally, unless to protest.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Trump is Romney +15 pts in polling.

What I want to know is who is going to be the Santorum?

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:07 PM

We still have a few weeks left, Santorum didn’t really start surging until about a month before Iowa. Much like Huckabee.

I think Rubio will be the Santorum after Cruz falls.

I was pissed at what the Republicans did to him. He would have been a great president, he’s one that can cut through the media BS like Trump.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 7:46 PM

I am hoping deep down he’ll overperform in Iowa and blow everyone away.

Doomberg on January 11, 2016 at 7:49 PM

I think he probably will. Again, he’s been getting thousands of people to show up to his rallies after standing out in the rain, the cold, and snow for hours. Caucuses are all about turnout and Santorum won with 30,000 people.

The guy that did that for him is working for Trump now. So we will see.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 8:03 PM

David Marcoe on January 11, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Wrong, both the Quinnipiac and the ARG polls were done later (finished on the 10th) than the prior two who finished on the 7th.

And you forgot to mention that Ted Cruz also was leading within the margin of error of both polls.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 8:09 PM

I was too. I’ll never forget how the “conservative” media destroyed Newt in 2012 to get him out of Romney’s way. I think that was when my last shred of faith in the GOP vanished.

And he would have been an excellent president! He was the last serious conservative who held any major political power, and the last conservative legislator to accomplish something of value. The GOP should never have thrown him out in 1998, much less treated him in the shabby way it did in 2012.

Caucuses are all about turnout and Santorum won with 30,000 people.

The guy that did that for him is working for Trump now. So we will see.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 8:03 PM

I didn’t quite realize this. Good to know.

Doomberg on January 11, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Hot Air, where’s the post about Phyllis Schlafly‘s endorsement of Donald Trump?

Verboten topic.
Please turn yourself in immediately to the closet Salem Comm offices.

Mr. Arrogant on January 11, 2016 at 8:18 PM

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 8:09 PM

1) Polling doesn’t normally fluctuate that wildly over such a short time. A difference of a few days I consider to be “over the same period,” so that’s a matter of semantics, unless I had said “over the same days.” The article that I linked to, for instance, lumps the Quinnipac poll with the Fox and NBC polls.

2) I didn’t find the margin of error for other two polls. The links that others provided to the Quinnipac and ARG polls did have the margin of error, though. Thus, I mentioned the margin of error for those polls.

So, thank you for providing additional information, but you could have just as easily asked for clarification from me, instead of acting like I was debating some point, rather than relaying information.

David Marcoe on January 11, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Not surprising now that we know he’s not eligible.

Progressive Heretic on January 11, 2016 at 8:32 PM

That is why the “conservative” media is to be scorned. They don’t have enough power like the liberal media to somewhat function independently of Democrats, so they are hangers on for the Republican party bosses.

It’s pathetic.

And he was ousted by John Boehner and Co. Who proceeded to do amnesty, big government run amok, Medicare Part D, TARP etc. and shaft the gains Gingrich gave them into the toilet. They and that weak punching bag Bush, gave us Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Obama, Dodd-Frank, “Stimulus”, and Obamacare.

And when they got back into power since 2010 and 2014, they gave us the same things the Dems did, with an extra helping of SUCK-IT

F-Them.

They are a bunch of power mad liberal psychopaths.

Caucuses are all about turnout and Santorum won with 30,000 people.

The guy that did that for him is working for Trump now. So we will see.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 8:03 PM

I didn’t quite realize this. Good to know.

Doomberg on January 11, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Trump is not stupid. As a lot of people who doubted him are finding out. A billionaire does not get there by being stupid. Lucky, maybe, but not stupid.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Trump is not stupid.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Trump hires the guy who helped Santorum win. The rest of the pack hire the guys who helped Romney lose.

All else is commentary.

Joseph K on January 11, 2016 at 8:43 PM

David Marcoe on January 11, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Sorry I am in debate mode. I ASSumed you had the same information I did. I really am an ass in real life too! :)

This lists every poll released for Iowa:

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 9:02 PM

All else is commentary.

Joseph K on January 11, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Well they will at least have the best concession speech.

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 9:17 PM

t will be exciting to see; the GOPe is really going all in with the build up Cruz thing.

I think Trump will do better than anticipated, but from now until Iowa all of the stories will be “the GOPe really wants Trump, they are afraid of Cruz!!!!” to try and dampen the enthusiasm.

Redstone on January 11, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Anyone who thinks the GOP establishment is supporting Cruz is delusional. He is far more dangerous to them than Trump.

idalily on January 11, 2016 at 9:34 PM

We are so screwed.

And by “we”, I mean anyone who wants a smaller, more accountable government.

And by “screwed” I mean we are about to take it up the rear for 8 more years.

Nessuno on January 11, 2016 at 6:05 PM

That is such a pipe dream. It’s like wishing the Easter Bunny, or Santa was real, or almost that bad. It shouldn’t be but it is. We’ve got a wacky candidate that claim’s he’ll enforce one specific set of laws, right now the most important ones, immigration, and if he’ll just do that one simply thing I’ll be happy. It’s a start.

DFCtomm on January 11, 2016 at 9:55 PM

Former NH Gov. Sununu: Trump Is Rich but ‘Not Bright’

anotherJoe on January 11, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Sununu should go back to yelling at Soledad O’Brien over at Al Jazeera.

Joseph K on January 11, 2016 at 9:56 PM

DFCtomm on January 11, 2016 at 9:55 PM

Who is Mr. Perfect? Is he on the ballot in Iowa?

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 10:05 PM

I wonder if she supports Clinton loving Single Payer Big Gov Trumpy?

PappyD61 on January 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Cruz was the front-runner, so he gets the shots at the moment.

22044 on January 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

2 Shots in Time
Comparison of Cruz to Trump on Immigration, 1999 & 2011

Trump 2011: Anchor babies were NEVER the intent of the 14th Amendment.

Ted Cruz 2011: The Constitution protects birthright citizenship for illegals and it’s a mistake for conservatives to spend time fighting it.

Trump 1999: Limit new immigration; focus on people already here. Trump was firm concerning restrictions in immigration. “I’m opposed to new people coming in,” Trump said.

Cruz 1999: hired as policy adviser for George W Bush, Cruz was singing the praises of unhindered immigration and (implied) amnesty in his advice given to GW: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/ted-cruz-immigration-memo-216951

From the above link:

“This country is a land built by immigrants, and that, as Governor of a border state, I have seen first-hand the richness of the great benefits immigrants have brought America,” Ted Cruz wrote, as a policy aide to George W. Bush’s 2000 White House campaign.

Cruz suggested in the 1999 memo that his boss, who was then the governor of Texas, “consider all options when trying to resolve our immigration problem and what to do with the millions of illegal immigrants already living here.”

>> “Consider all options” for the illegals. EXCEPT deportation! When the globalist pro-immigration Cruz says “consider all options” that is code for amnesty with citizenship, and that’s exactly what GW Bush later tried to pass through congress.

anotherJoe on January 11, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Former NH Gov. Sununu: Trump Is Rich but ‘Not Bright’

anotherJoe on January 11, 2016 at 9:12 PM

I know, right? If only Trump had just put his daddy’s money in the stock market, he’d be worth more money right now.

fossten on January 11, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Pass this web site and information around:

Travis County election from a city council run off election.

Thing is what this lady found is going on in all Democrat run counties in Texas and for sure in all other Democrat counties by this means or other means.

She is not backing down, met her today and she is all ok.

Smart, honest, will not back down and the real deal.

Laura Pressley

See the info at the top on the law suit and the coming appeals.
This is the first law suit that has gone to trial on vote machines and the computer problems in Texas and for sure appealed. She says she will not back down.

Help me get this to canopor etal who pass links around.

This looks like something Mark Levin etal need to get in on as well as Judaical Watch.

Thanks,

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 11, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Isn’t Sunono the GOPe Genius who gave us Supreme Court Justice David Souter?
Yeah, he’s one of the smart ones….

james23 on January 11, 2016 at 10:58 PM

On Laura Pressley and her law suit.

To bad she went on Info wars , but more than likely she was cut out of media by the two party evil money cult and the media.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 11, 2016 at 11:07 PM

“Trumpy iz a Klown and he will not win B-Cuz he is such a Klown that Trumpy.”

Right Mover on January 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Well, it does get its talking points direct from The Department of Redundancy Department, after all.

Fortyback on January 11, 2016 at 11:18 PM

Lord I hope not!! Consider the source…

Bullhead on January 11, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Trump is going to win Iowa quite handily

Brock Robamney on January 12, 2016 at 12:08 AM

Fortyback on January 11, 2016 at 11:18 PM

The Department of Redundancy Department has been elevated to a cabinet level Bureau. One must now first report to the Department of Circumlocution to apply for a permit to apply to the Bureau of Redundancy Bureau.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on January 12, 2016 at 12:12 AM

This is the QOTD now so I get a Bishop.

SpongePuppy on January 12, 2016 at 12:42 AM

All things considered, in fact, this is a good poll for Rubio.

Yes. Yes. Nothing quite spells electoral success as having the support of one out of six voters.

Do you actually read what you post?

Younggod on January 12, 2016 at 12:46 AM

Just passing’ through on the way to sleepy land…

ROLL TIDE!

What a performance….they earned it.
(And that’s from an Auburn fan:))

Doc Holliday on January 12, 2016 at 1:20 AM

And then there’s this.

IDontCair on January 12, 2016 at 1:41 AM

Is THIS the QOTD?……Ahhhhh!….the Air Seems Better in here!

williamg on January 12, 2016 at 1:45 AM

Is THIS the QOTD?……Ahhhhh!….the Air Seems Better in here!

williamg on January 12, 2016 at 1:45 AM

Or last night’s QoTD…

31giddyup on January 12, 2016 at 1:51 AM

Or last night’s QoTD…

31giddyup on January 12, 2016 at 1:51 AM

Let’s go over there giddyup. Pull my leash.

SpongePuppy on January 12, 2016 at 1:54 AM

Let’s go over there giddyup. Pull my leash.

SpongePuppy on January 12, 2016 at 1:54 AM

Ok. No stoppin’ at hydrants.

31giddyup on January 12, 2016 at 2:02 AM

Gary Klug [email protected] 9h9 hours ago Las Vegas, NV
Cruz rules out ‘deportation force’ to boot undocumented immigrants

anotherJoe on January 12, 2016 at 3:09 AM

Morning y’all

cmsinaz on January 12, 2016 at 4:37 AM

Cruz!

cmsinaz on January 12, 2016 at 4:37 AM

I think that Cruz will win Iowa. He’s better well organized there.

If Cruz doesn’t then we better brace ourselves for Trumpageddon because I see no way of stopping him if he wins Iowa. America is on the brink of being well and truly screwed as we have never been screwed before.

MJBrutus on January 12, 2016 at 4:40 AM

Now trump is playing born in the USA at his rallies

Classy

cmsinaz on January 12, 2016 at 4:41 AM

Whether it’s trump or hillary methinks
MJBrutus

cmsinaz on January 12, 2016 at 4:42 AM

Darn carly out of main debate

cmsinaz on January 12, 2016 at 4:58 AM

this chick will not be watching the SOTU….
Neflix here I come

cmsinaz on January 12, 2016 at 6:22 AM

With robo calls like these, is it any surprise he’s surging?

libfreeordie on January 12, 2016 at 6:24 AM

Good morning everybody.

Racistanyway on January 12, 2016 at 6:36 AM

I really am an ass in real life too! :)

NWConservative on January 11, 2016 at 9:02 PM

I’m stunned, stunned by this revelation.

Immolate on January 12, 2016 at 8:56 AM

Ethanol…the ethanol lobby…

And that is what you are buying into.

right2bright on January 12, 2016 at 8:58 AM

MJBrutus on January 12, 2016 at 4:40 AM

I expect a Cruz win in the Iowa caucuses, but regardless Trump will sweep the remaining primaries.

Cruz doesn’t expect to be the nominee, either.

Trump keeps dumping in his face on birth eligibility and all Teddy would reply: “I like Donald Trump. I respect Donald Trump.”

It’s a Trump/Cruz ticket.

It’s a good ticket.

Younggod on January 12, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Judging from the intelligence level on display from the average Trump supporter, most of them won’t know when to vote or how to get there.

DRayRaven on January 11, 2016 at 6:30 PM

Yeah, those rubes who had to RSVP for free tickets and had to drive and wait hours to get in to see Trump at a rally… they’re really idiots and don’t know how or where to vote! Are you really this stupid, or do you just recite the stupidity of others?

dominigan on January 12, 2016 at 1:16 PM

If Cruz doesn’t then we better brace ourselves for Trumpageddon because I see no way of stopping him if he wins Iowa. America is Establishment Politicians are on the brink of being well and truly screwed as we have never been screwed before.

MJBrutus on January 12, 2016 at 4:40 AM

Fixed for accuracy.

dominigan on January 12, 2016 at 1:18 PM

PPP also released a poll today showing Trump leading in Iowa:

bw222 on January 12, 2016 at 1:49 PM

“Trumpy iz a Klown and he will not win B-Cuz he is such a Klown that Trumpy.”

Right Mover on January 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM

This might be the year you make it out of fourth grade. They say the third time is the charm.

bw222 on January 12, 2016 at 2:00 PM

The birther thing is taking it’s toll on Cruz.

Dollayo on January 13, 2016 at 8:17 AM