Video: TSA will refuse drivers licenses from 5 states starting in 2018

posted at 5:31 pm on January 9, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

And lucky us, our state of Minnesota made the list. Minnesota and four other states have not fully adopted the REAL ID standard demanded by the federal government in making their identification cards compliant with security measures. Travelers from those states had better plan to get passports if they expect to use airline travel, unless their states come into compliance before then:

Airline passengers in five states and a U.S. territory will be unable to present their current driver’s licenses at airport checkpoints after Jan. 22, 2018, under new rules announced on Friday by the Department of Homeland Security.

The Homeland Security department, which overseas the TSA, said it would begin enforcing a post-Sept. 11 law that directs federal agencies to only accept state-issued identifications that meet federal security standards that were enacted in 2005.

Most states have either adopted the more secure driver’s licenses, known as REAL IDs, or have plans to do so later this year. But Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, Washington state and American Samoa have not moved to make their driver’s licenses compliant with the new federal standard, meaning airline passengers from those states will have to present other forms of identification at TSA checkpoints. …

“Passengers can also continue to use any of the various other forms of identification accepted by TSA (such as a Passport or Passport Card, Global Entry card, U.S. military ID, airline or airport-issued ID, federally recognized tribal-issued photo ID),” Johnson continued. “Travelers are encouraged to check the REAL ID compliance status of their state on the DHS website and review TSA’s list of acceptable forms of identification. Travelers may also check with their state’s driver’s licensing agency about how to acquire a REAL ID compliant license.”

As the Star Tribune reports this morning, this is actually a reprieve. TSA had threatened to cut off non-compliant IDs much sooner. But it’s not clear that the mood has improved enough in Minnesota to make all drivers licenses REAL ID-compliant, although Minnesotans can request a compliant card for an additional fee:

Opponents were critical of requirements in the law that include storing images of documents that driver’s license applicants present as proof of their identity, such as birth certificates. State officials say that information could be breached and could be used to track law-abiding U.S. citizens.

Some politicians in many states, like Minnesota, said the new ID cards amounted to a national identification card, collecting and storing massive amounts of private data. The growing number of data breaches at companies and government institutions only emboldened the skeptics.

By a nearly unanimous vote in 2009, the Minnesota Legislature prohibited the Department of Public Safety from taking any steps to comply.

Many privacy advocates are also critical that the U.S. government is unilaterally setting standards in an area traditionally handled by the states.

My wife tried warning me to take our passports on our last trip, based on an e-mail making the rounds out here. Her timing was off, but the concern was accurate. We do have passports, so it won’t add much burden to us when traveling if Minnesota balks again, but plenty of other Minnesotans may not have that option.

Frankly, though, this seems like an odd obstacle. TSA checks my drivers license mainly to make sure that the anti-counterfeit holographic overlay is present and to make sure it hasn’t expired. They treat my REAL ID-compliant passport the same way. I haven’t seen them treat anyone else’s drivers licenses any differently, regardless of what state they come from. Does TSA plan to install ID readers at every station and do a significant records check at the security position on every passenger? That would add a lot of time to those lines in the airports that are already snaking a considerable distance in airports, especially at Minneapolis-St. Paul International. If the TSA has a plan to use this standard efficiently, then maybe it’s worth demanding compliance, but this looks suspiciously like bureaucratic box-checking — and that may be why Minnesota and the other four states are getting an eleventh-year reprieve.

Comments

TSA is just a disaster. Thanks Bush.

OT: Donald Trump Clear Lake Iowa Rally – Live Stream 5:00pm EST

Magicjava on January 9, 2016 at 5:34 PM

I’m old enough to remember when liberals went ape shit about the difficulty in obtaining IDs to vote being “raaaaaaaacist.”

BirdEye on January 9, 2016 at 5:36 PM

If only our legislators were as concerned about voter ID..

celt on January 9, 2016 at 5:41 PM

BirdEye on January 9, 2016 at 5:36 PM

…so you’re more than four years old?

RBMN on January 9, 2016 at 5:42 PM

I can remember a movie…

“I will live in Montana….”

” And drive from state to state….”

“Do I need papers?…”

“No Papers…..”

Electrongod on January 9, 2016 at 5:42 PM

It’s all about appearances and perceptions, not reality.

Let’s not forget the former head of DHS reminding us after the Christmas underwear bomber’s bomb fizzled because of too much perspiration, that ‘The system worked’ as she boasted about the TSA and preventing terrorism in our airliners.

Makes one wonder which ‘system worked’? Airline safety or another expansion in the power, reach, and scope of the federal government?

Athos on January 9, 2016 at 5:43 PM

The TSA stole my medically-necessary cooler packs a few days ago.

TBSchemer on January 9, 2016 at 5:44 PM

I just moved to Idaho and was told that our driver’s licenses wouldn’t be accepted soon but since we aren’t on this new list it looks like Boise got their act together.

fragglerock61 on January 9, 2016 at 5:44 PM

If only our legislators were as concerned about voter ID..

celt on January 9, 2016 at 5:41 PM

When one counts on voter fraud….

…what’s the incentive to prevent it?

Athos on January 9, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Is the TSA confirming the existence of a problem destined to persist for two years yet? So it’s effectively an announcement.

Terrorists: This is your two-year warning. If you’ve something in the works, better step up your schedule.

Lolo on January 9, 2016 at 5:45 PM

TSA ate my baby

Jazz Shaw on January 9, 2016 at 5:45 PM

New Hampshire was on an earlier list but is not on this one-wonder why?

Renewed my passport a couple of months ago; the entire process was painless and there was only a 3 week turn time from when I mailed the stuff in to Philly and when I got my new passport as well as the old expired/cancelled one back.

FYI to get on a domestic flight you will need the full passport book; the smaller passport ID cards are only for border crossings by land (or also when you arrive by boat in the Caribbean and Mexico). Cost for both of them is $140.

Del Dolemonte on January 9, 2016 at 5:46 PM

My flying phobia saves me from this BS.

bazil9 on January 9, 2016 at 5:51 PM

So;
I am wondering if a fake passport is easier to come up with than a fake drivers license.

Snowshooze on January 9, 2016 at 5:54 PM

TSA ate my baby

Jazz Shaw on January 9, 2016 at 5:45 PM

You better be glad I wasn’t drinking or eating something, or you’d owe me..

dougmva on January 9, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Here’s the stickler for quite a few States:

(B) EVIDENCE OF LAWFUL STATUS- A State shall require, before issuing a driver’s license or identification card to a person, valid documentary evidence that the person–
(i) is a citizen or national of the United States;
(ii) is an alien lawfully admitted for permanent or temporary residence in the United States;
(iii) has conditional permanent resident status in the United States;
(iv) has an approved application for asylum in the United States or has entered into the United States in refugee status;
(v) has a valid, unexpired nonimmigrant visa or nonimmigrant visa status for entry into the United States;
(vi) has a pending application for asylum in the United States;
(vii) has a pending or approved application for temporary protected status in the United States;
(viii) has approved deferred action status; or
(ix) has a pending application for adjustment of status to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States or conditional permanent resident status in the United States.

Certainly the sanctuary supporters will oppose REAL ID, because it prevents illegal aliens from obtaining any form of state identification.

unclesmrgol on January 9, 2016 at 5:57 PM

TSA ate my baby

Jazz Shaw on January 9, 2016 at 5:45 PM

The dingos ate your baby! :)

celt on January 9, 2016 at 5:58 PM

I don’t get it. What is it about the driver’s licences of those five states that’s so dicey?

Lolo on January 9, 2016 at 5:58 PM

So;

Snowshooze on January 9, 2016 at 5:54 PM

If you have enough money (from captured oil or selling drugs) you can probably just buy the printing press.

RBMN on January 9, 2016 at 6:02 PM

TSA ate my baby

Jazz Shaw on January 9, 2016 at 5:45 PM

I just had a Gladys Leeman quote pop into my head right there…

NWConservative on January 9, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Lolo on January 9, 2016 at 5:58 PM

They don’t have the micro chip in them.

RickB on January 9, 2016 at 6:07 PM

You will comply or else.

Buckshots on January 9, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Ihre Papiere bitte.

Mason on January 9, 2016 at 6:14 PM

More Unconstitutional nonsense from our federal behemoth…and people say “Meh.”

BierManVA on January 9, 2016 at 6:15 PM

You will comply or else.

Buckshots on January 9, 2016 at 6:08 PM

So you’re against any form of verifiable ID for flying or voting or receiving government entitlements?

Enlighten us to your concerns.

celt on January 9, 2016 at 6:15 PM

More Unconstitutional nonsense from our federal behemoth…and people say “Meh.”

BierManVA on January 9, 2016 at 6:15 PM

So we shouldn’t require ID for voting..or are you just talking out of your ass?

celt on January 9, 2016 at 6:16 PM

They don’t have the micro chip in them.

RickB on January 9, 2016 at 6:07 PM

In the passenger’s license? or in the passenger?

Lolo on January 9, 2016 at 6:17 PM

Electrongod on January 9, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Wow. I just watched that the other day.

Dongemaharu on January 9, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Yeah, good luck with that. It’ll never happen. It would cause airlines to lose all kinds of money among other dominoes that will fall if this happens.

I’ll bet anything that this won’t happen.

The Notorious G.O.P on January 9, 2016 at 6:24 PM

My flying phobia saves me from this BS.

bazil9 on January 9, 2016 at 5:51 PM

I don’t, ’cause “backward” and can’t imagine dropping vast amounts of money for the privilege of being hurled through the air on a glorified bus.

“BUT I HAVE TO BE THERE IN TWO HOURS!”

Me –> I’m just not that important.

“BUT IT’S SAFER!”

Me –> Can you sit half-naked sit in a pile of Cheetos, wail at the top of your voice to a Van Halen concert, and pull over anywhere, anytime, and do anything? ‘Cause I can do that in my truck.

Eh, but it doesn’t look like I’m going to get to fly again. I don’t understand why people would allow themselves to be treated like cattle.

I guess I’m doomed. If I make it, by the time I’m an old man I will have been pushed into the desert.

Axe on January 9, 2016 at 6:26 PM

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT GOVERNS EVERYTHING.
What part of this do people not understand?

GaltBlvnAtty on January 9, 2016 at 6:28 PM

*only one sit

Axe on January 9, 2016 at 6:29 PM

So we shouldn’t require ID for voting..or are you just talking out of your ass?

celt on January 9, 2016 at 6:16 PM

Since this article is about the TSA and Real ID, I’d say the person talking out of their ass is you.

And since it is a State issue to require voting ID or not, I’d say you are talking out of your ass again.

Now piss off and stop trying to start an issue.

Jeez

BierManVA on January 9, 2016 at 6:31 PM

*only one sit

Axe on January 9, 2016 at 6:29 PM

I just assumed the second “s it” was a misspelling.

Lolo on January 9, 2016 at 6:32 PM

I live in New Mexico and our licenses are non-compliant because the state has been issuing licenses to illegal aliens since 2002. Our current governor, Susana Martinez (R), has been trying to reverse the policy but has been stymied by the Democrat-controlled state senate.

So, to my fellow New Mexicans that vote the Democrat party line, instead of being able to use your $20 drivers license for ID at the airport you get to invest in a much more expensive passport. Have a nice day.

Zardoz on January 9, 2016 at 6:34 PM

I have a drivers license, I show if it if pulled over or traveling by air, I wish they asked for it when I vote. I only put money into the cesspit and gather no benefits but that should be verified also IMHO.

You can’t be against illegal immigration, welfare and voter fraud if you want to make everyone anonymous in the US..

Just my $.02

celt on January 9, 2016 at 6:35 PM

But you can’t require an ID to vote cause RACISSSSSMMMM.

njrob on January 9, 2016 at 6:37 PM

I just assumed the second “s it” was a misspelling.

Lolo on January 9, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Bad edit. :) I added “half-naked.”

. . . I try to be precise.

Axe on January 9, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Axe on January 9, 2016 at 6:26 PM

lol..okay..

bazil9 on January 9, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Love it. I can help determine the laws of the nation by showing up at the voting booth and claim my name is Wilma Flintstone but to get on a airplane to see my grandkids I have to prove I’m Barney Rubble.

Limerick on January 9, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Now piss off and stop trying to start an issue.

Jeez

BierManVA on January 9, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Viewing your history, all of your posts come across as pretty much “The Government is out to get me!”

While yes, the govt can screw you over.. every little thing isn’t a conspiracy…

Save your real concerns for the survivalist forums or the other stuff you may have an interest in.

Btw- piss off.

celt on January 9, 2016 at 6:48 PM

Btw…

Most liberals and illegal alien advocates hate RealID and the ACLU is ready to fight it:

Many immigrant and civil rights advocates feel that the changes related to evidentiary standards and the immigration officers’ discretion in asylum cases, contained in the Real ID Act, would prevent many legitimate asylum seekers from obtaining asylum.

celt on January 9, 2016 at 6:57 PM

TSA will refuse drivers licenses from 5 states starting in 2018

No biggie. By 2018 Minnesota women will have to have new identification cards anyway, wearing the mandatory hijab (they’re progressive Muslims in Minnesota since they don’t require burkas). Not that women will be able to drive by then.

Day by day, Minnesota is becoming a Muslim state within the U.S. And Minnesotans do nothing to stop the spread of radical Islam within the rest of the country- even electing radical Muslims to Congress to ensure that the funding to ISIS isn’t turned off. Being from Minnesota used to mean one had Midwestern values. Now, it means one is an enabler of domestic Islamic terrorism. Many Americans will die as a result.

Happy Nomad on January 9, 2016 at 6:58 PM

BTW, why does the headline give short shrift to American Samoa? It may not be a state but…. Come on man!

Happy Nomad on January 9, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Exactly – and some conservatives are protesting this…why?

celt on January 9, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Exactly – and some conservatives are protesting this…why?

Do you trust the federal government? Do you trust the Obama administration in particular? Do you think Obamas TSA is implementing this to catch illegal aliens?

iwasbornwithit on January 9, 2016 at 7:13 PM

So;

Snowshooze on January 9, 2016 at 5:54 PM

There used to be an old Swiss guy in Washington, DC, (not too far from the White House) who turned out beautiful passports that worked anyplace in the world. Anybody checking them out would swear that they were authentic. And they were not cheap.

Solaratov on January 9, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Zardoz on January 9, 2016 at 6:34 PM

So I’m assuming California will be on the list shortly?

BallisticBob on January 9, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Happy Nomad on January 9, 2016 at 6:58

Not if you shoot first.

(Like Han)

Solaratov on January 9, 2016 at 7:27 PM

While yes, the govt can screw you over.. every little thing isn’t a conspiracy…

Btw- piss off.

celt on January 9, 2016 at 6:48 PM

Who the FU<K are you exactly? I'm not the one attacking other people by saying they are talking out of their ass when the problem is YOUR reading comprehension. This article is about the TSA and Real ID, NOT voting ID issues. I never quoted any other comments about voting so the problem is YOURS and YOURS only.

As for my "history", you are sadly mistaken. You don't know Jack about me at all. Never been on a survivalist forum in my whole life. But I do know you…you are a class A know-it-all troll.

You are also the type that has allowed the gov't to gain more and more unconstitutional power through the years by letting them chip away a piece at a time all the while saying "Oh, it doesn't affect me, I don't care"

Go to the Huffington Post and stay there.

BierManVA on January 9, 2016 at 7:32 PM

No Muslim immigration = No TSA.

Nomennovum on January 9, 2016 at 7:35 PM

You can have diversity or you can have freedom. Our wonderful cultural mosaic comes with a price. That price is the surveillance state. The evidence is in and it is incontrovertible.

Nomennovum on January 9, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Illinois does have anti-forgery features built into its licenses and will be offering a new version in 2016, but it is short of other requirements Real ID Act demands.

…It will be up to the General Assembly to decide whether to approve a federally compliant ID card and, if so, how the compliance costs will be met.

…Ed Yohnka of the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois said it’s possible costs for a Real ID-compliant state driver’s license could hit $150.

That’s five times the current $30 and, Yohnka noted, an amount that could be a real problem for those least able to pay.

I had heard Illinois was not compliant because they offer both a state ID and a Driver’s License… Who knows?

Fallon on January 9, 2016 at 7:45 PM

My flying phobia saves me from this BS.

bazil9 on January 9, 2016 at 5:51 PM

I ain’t afraid of flying. It’s crashing that scares the sh-t outta me.

CurtZHP on January 9, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Go to the Huffington Post and stay there.

BierManVA on January 9, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Yep, I’m a troll from HP…

You are way the hell out there – do you visit this site often and know the regular commenters or do you just come here when your panties get all twisted up?

celt on January 9, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Fallon on January 9, 2016 at 7:45 PM

So does Virginia and it’s not on the list.

Oldnuke on January 9, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Yep, I’m a troll from HP…

celt on January 9, 2016 at 8:21 PM

I know him, long time poster. Who the hell are you?

Oldnuke on January 9, 2016 at 8:26 PM

I know him, long time poster. Who the hell are you?

Oldnuke on January 9, 2016 at 8:26 PM

you must have multiple accounts – is this your lil alias ? – I’ve been here for over 5 years and never see your name either Oldnuke in the daily post discussions here.

WTF are you again?

celt on January 9, 2016 at 8:32 PM

celt on January 9, 2016 at 8:21 PM

…seems like he’s from Virginia…that could explain a lot!

JugEarsButtHurt on January 9, 2016 at 8:34 PM

..oh there you are oldnuke:

The actual controls of nuke plants cannot be accessed or controlled from outside sources.

Oldnuke on December 22, 2015 at 9:12 PM

I guess you post on mainly defense related posts.

celt on January 9, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Sounds like the “Internal Passports” required in the old Soviet Union…

oldleprechaun on January 9, 2016 at 8:39 PM

It remains to be if Illinois will still be a state in 2018.

EA_MAN on January 9, 2016 at 9:26 PM

WTF are you again?

celt on January 9, 2016 at 8:32 PM

In five years, you’ve never seen Oldnuke?

Seriously?

BallisticBob on January 9, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Montana should be on the list. Heck, Montana wants to be on the list. Several years ago our legislature unanimously passed a state law prohibiting Montana drivers’ licenses from complying with the federal REAL ID law.

acasilaco on January 9, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Reagan told us this was coming:

We’re from the government and we’re here to help.

Jumpintimmy on January 9, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Zardoz on January 9, 2016 at 6:34 PM

So I’m assuming California will be on the list shortly?

BallisticBob on January 9, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Same thing for Washington state, has been for years

Sarge

AFSarge on January 9, 2016 at 11:24 PM

TSA will refuse drivers licenses from 5 states starting in 2018

NO PROBLEM!!

The states will refuse TSA admittance to public facilities starting in 2017!!!

landlines on January 10, 2016 at 1:20 AM

In the 90s and into the 2000s, Oregon issued drivers licenses to illegals. After 9/11, it became known that mules were bringing illegals from all over the country to get their driver’s licenses aka government docs here. So, we were subsequently considered to be a national security risk.

Thankfully, our “esteemed” legislature, in a panic I might add, passed legislation to outlaw issuing driver’s licenses to illegals.

Recently, a more liberal legislature passed legislation to issue illegals Oregon driver’s licenses, and Kitzhaber signed it. Republicans in the legislature gathered enough signatures to put it on the ballot, and it failed by approximately 40/60%.

That’s why Oregon isn’t on the list.

kakypat on January 10, 2016 at 1:46 AM

TSA is just a disaster. Thanks BushDemocrats.

Magicjava on January 9, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Bush only reluctantly accepted the TSA when Democrats and the media pushed for it for months, and on condition that they not be unionized, for rather obvious reasons.

Let’s not lose sight of who demanded the airport security be federalized. It wasn’t Bush. He was in fact opposed to the idea.

As in many other cases throughout his administration, he tried to “reach across the aisle” and work with the Democrats in hopes of unity.

We know how well that turned out.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 10, 2016 at 2:12 AM

because REAL terrorists can’t get fake IDs.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 10, 2016 at 2:12 AM

May be. But I wonder if Reagan were still around (and cognizant) if he would be sitting on the sidelines while Obama runs rough-shod over the Constitution?

This stance of preserving the dignity of the office of the President or whatever on the part of both Bushes has worn very thin indeed. They’re prominent figures in the Republican Party even after they left Washington.

Carter and especially Clinton have had little problem in using their post-WH political capital to help advance Leftist agendas. (Clinton moreso because he was more popular than Carter-and the mere sight of him or hearing his gravely voice invokes feel-goodism on the part of those who fondly remember the ’90s).

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 10, 2016 at 6:00 AM

The reason is that these states don’t require proof of citizenship to obtain a driver’s license. I don’t have a problem with that. You should have to prove citizenship.

The problem is, they haven’t enforced this for 14 freakin’ years?

stenwin77 on January 10, 2016 at 6:47 AM

Current Status of States/Territories
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced on December 20, 2013 a phased enforcement plan for the REAL ID Act (the Act), as passed by Congress, that will implement the Act in a measured, fair, and responsible way.

Noncompliant States/Territories

Am.Samoa
Minnesota+

+ Federal officials may continue to accept Enhanced Driver’s Licenses from these states.

Compliant/Extension States/Territories

Tennessee
Utah
Vermont
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

The following states/territories have an extension, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver’s licenses from these states until October 10, 2016:

Alaska
Pennsylvania
Puerto Rico
Rhode Island
S. Carolina
Texas
Virginia

The following states/territories have an extension, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver’s licenses from these states, until June 1, 2016.

New Hampshire

The following states/territories are under review for an extension renewal, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver’s licenses from these states, until at least January 10, 2016 under a grace period.

Guam
N. Marianas
Virgin Islands

The following states/territories have not received an extension for 2016 and will be subject to enforcement for accessing most Federal facilities, nuclear power plants and military bases beginning Jan. 10, 2016.

Illinois
Missouri
New Mexico
Washington+

Last Published Date: January 8, 2016

Quite a few more than the article suggests.

Patriot Vet on January 10, 2016 at 6:58 AM

If conservatives (like me) want Voter ID and to screen out illegal aliens then it makes sense to have standards requiring government IDs be tamperproof and that conservatives get over the phobia about a national ID card.

kd6rxl on January 10, 2016 at 7:19 AM

kd6rxl on January 10, 2016 at 7:19 AM

It’s not the tamperproof requirement, it is the documents that are attached to the ID’s that don’t need to be. Why do they need your birth certificate attached to your ID? Or whatever other documents they say? You show those when you get the license to prove your identity, that’s all.

If they had said that all ID’s will have a hologram of your picture (like VA does right now) or a fingerprint, or any other extremely hard to duplicate measure, I am sure not one person would have a problem with that.

Also, nothing says that these would be used for voter ID laws. Libs would still oppose those because they “hurt the poor and minorities”.

Patriot Vet on January 10, 2016 at 7:38 AM

Lolo on January 9, 2016 at 5:58 PM

The federal REAL ID Act, passed in 2005, requires proof of U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the U.S. in order for a license to be valid for federal use.

WA state has an enhanced DL they started selling in 2008. You can use it at the Canada border. Our regular DL’s are worthless.They say they will start issuing REAL ID compliant DL’s in 2017.

Mike Morrissey on January 10, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Illinois gives licenses to illegal aliens.

Nutstuyu on January 10, 2016 at 1:48 PM

I had a TSA agent back in 2008 at the Portland airport tell me my brand new passport was expired. The idiot insisted and pointed to “June 2008” on the passport. At which point I saw where he pointed and told him that was the “issue date”.

“Oh, issue date. Have a nice day!”

To this day I don’t know whether he was screwing with me because he was bored (I was only one in line at the time) or that much of an idiot. Either is depressing and infuriating. Abolish the fake security theater, especially since you dont need voter ID and they hand out ID to illegals like candy and other welfare. Non citizens have more “rights” than citizens.

Oh, and Oregon now makes you get a temporary license and they mail you your new card in 10-14 days.

oryguncon on January 10, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Couldn’t you just tell Obama’s TSA that you are an illegal and have them bow down and safely walk you through the whole process probably with welfare, food stamps, a Democrat voter registration card, free health insurance and housing before you get to the airport parking lot?

RJL on January 10, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Illinois gives licenses to illegal aliens.

Nutstuyu on January 10, 2016 at 1:48 PM

But yet I had to supply a birth certificate to show I am a bona fide U.S. Citizen, and two current utility bills to show that I was a bona fide resident…after I’d already had a valid drivers license for decades…issued by the same authorities…?

There is no doubt about it-they want a national ID, and want desperately to track our movements.

This transponder/toll thing is, on the surface, a great idea also. Catching actual criminals will be easier, and they can easily fine a$$holes who think we have Autobahns in America.

But, as always, it’s a matter of trust. And I don’t trust these jerks to do the right thing with modern surveillance technology.

The state legislators, bureaucrats, and clerks enforced this nonsense without question in most states. They aren’t going to make waves.

Those of you think that those who work for the state, local and Federal government (including police and the military) won’t come down on us Commoners like a ton of bricks when it comes time to enforce curfews and confiscate weapons are severely deluded.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 10, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Non-compliant states could also kick The Stupid Agency out of their airports if they wished.

paulsur on January 10, 2016 at 6:07 PM