Obama to Dems: Back my gun-control play or I won’t campaign for you

posted at 12:01 pm on January 8, 2016 by Ed Morrissey

It turns out that Barack Obama wants to play hardball on gun control with everyone. The President penned an essay for the New York Times which went online shortly before the start of his CNN town hall on gun issues. For the most part, Obama regurgitated the same arguments he’s made all along, but almost buried in the middle of the column was a new threat, this one aimed at Democrats who won’t play ball with him in Congress:

Even as I continue to take every action possible as president, I will also take every action I can as a citizen. I will not campaign for, vote for or support any candidate, even in my own party, who does not support common-sense gun reform. And if the 90 percent of Americans who do support common-sense gun reforms join me, we will elect the leadership we deserve.

Where to start with this threat? First, the numbers behind it are laughable. The “90%” claim comes from this Gallup poll showing 86% of people favor universal background checks for all gun purchases.” That’s what we already have, except for personal transactions, usually between family members. Online and gun-show sales from retailers still require a background check through a federally licensed firearms dealer (FFL), and the change Obama announced only made an ambiguity between retailers and hobbyists even more ambiguous. In poll after poll, though, Americans don’t consider gun control a primary or even secondary public issue, and recently two media polling series have shown majority opposition to so-called “assault weapons” bans for the first time.

The disconnect between Obama’s “90%” rhetoric and reality can be seen in the makeup of Congress. Obama started pushing hard on gun control in 2013, at the start of his second term. If “90% of Americans” wanted gun control expanded, why did Democrats suffer such a sharp loss in the next midterm election?

That’s why this threat to Democrats on gun control is silly, and evidence of a lack of contact with reality. Democrats in safe seats can afford to talk about gun control and don’t really need Obama to campaign for them, although they wouldn’t mind his fundraising and organization. Democrats in swing states and districts won’t want to remind voters that their party has decided again to go all in on gun control, and won’t want Obama within 50 miles of their campaign anyway. In fact, his efforts make using Obama’s personal qualities even more risky on the campaign trail for these Democrats in purple areas, and that includes the next Democratic nominee.

Speaking of separations from reality, Obama took a moment during his town hall last night to dismiss the concerns of a rape survivor who wants to provide for her own self-defense. Obama followed up by suggesting she might be too careless to manage firearm ownership:

He pointed out that, though he didn’t think Corban’s guns necessarily made her safer, he’s not trying to take them away.

“I just want to repeat that there’s nothing that we’ve proposed that would make it harder for you to purchase a firearm.” And: “You have to be pretty well trained in order to fire a weapon against somebody who is assaulting you and catches you by surprise.” And: “There’s always the possibility that that firearm in a home leads to a tragic accident.” And: “All I’m focused on is making sure that a terrible crime like yours that was committed is not made easier because somebody can go on the Internet and just buy whatever weapon they want without us finding out whether they’re a criminal or not.”

Corban wasn’t impressed.

“I would say it was more of a non-response,” she told The Post. “He kind of dodged the question.” …

Saying Obama was working without a script or a teleprompter, Corban criticized the president’s insistence on talking about how guns endanger children every time he “got jammed” at the town hall. Doesn’t he understand that she has guns because she wants to keep her children safe in her family’s home?

“That’s where I understand this violence happens,” she said, mentioning that her daughter will be a year old soon. “It’s not just on the news. It’s not just in far-off places. My nightmares are real. They are my memories. I don’t want that for my own kid.”

Obama’s utter condescension was not limited to his New York Times virtue-signaling op-ed, in other words.

Update: I forgot to link to the Washington Post on the Corban story, which I fixed above, and corrected a grammatical error as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Statistics prove that it is far safer for my kids to own handguns than to start smoking.

As the man said, crew served weapons are better for small children, it teaches teamwork.

F X Muldoon on January 8, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Neitherleftorright
Pretty OT, but you do know the history of Republican policy toward mental health that underpins the premise of your point, right?

CivilDiscourse on January 8, 2016 at 1:33 PM

s1im on January 8, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Obama is Palpatine and the GOPe is Jar-Jar Binks.

That analogy works perfectly.

ConstantineXI on January 8, 2016 at 12:44 PM

The Jedi weren’t exactly brilliant either. They seemed to be all too willing to go along to get along, and only began to figure out things when it was way too late to prevent disaster.

When both Jar-Jar and Yoda could stand in the same room with the Lord of the Sith and neither was any better at sensing the most powerful wielder of the dark side, that’s the perfect GOPe analogy.

s1im on January 8, 2016 at 1:34 PM

They declined in favor of continuing a campaign not based in reality.

CivilDiscourse on January 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Given that the Dems’ entire campaigns and policies are not based in reality, that appears to be the best way to go.

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM

CivilDiscord was he insane, a bad guy, a terrorist and how would anything Obama has done stopped this?

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM

He didn’t cry for the rape victim.
TYCapitalism on January 8, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Nor did it get him really mad.

Cleombrotus on January 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM

CivilDiscourse on January 8, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Off topic? You were the one that brought it up.

Yes I do know that there was, in California, a “perfect storm” where fiscal conservatives mixed with “feel good” liberals to basically eliminate mental institutions. Unlike you, I am honest.

Nevertheless, it is the leftist “feel gooders” that resist any and all attempts to expand the mental health system, based on their feelings of potential abuse. Yes abuse can and will happen. Happens in everything.

The major reason for most mass shootings in the US, so far, is mental illness. The major reason for most criminal shootings is use of illegal firearms. The vast, I mean really vast, majority of legal firearms have caused no harm.

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Nor did it get him really mad.

Cleombrotus on January 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Sure it did. He’s probably still pissed off at her.

CurtZHP on January 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Also, of *course* she was there at the behest of the president, in order so that he could respond to her question.

Yes indeedy, that is why he gave his bestest Ralph Kramden reply.

F X Muldoon on January 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM

I need a link to some of these online gun stores.

The few times I’ve looked I had a hard time finding a decent place that had a variety of products on an easily navigable site and would sell through a FFL, let alone any that would sell without a FFL.

I think the left is being a bit delusional with all of this easy online anonymous purchasing BS.

Oxymoron on January 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Oxymoron on January 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Earlier today, I commented that, the next time someone suggests it, I’m going to hand them my smartphone and tell them to buy a firearm online. If they can get it shipped to their house without a background check, I’LL PAY FOR IT.

CurtZHP on January 8, 2016 at 1:48 PM

I need a link to some of these online gun stores.

Oxymoron on January 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM

They find them on the deep web where they live their lives. Same place pedophiles live theirs. Hmmmm. I wonder…

Constitutionalist on January 8, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Constitutionalist on January 8, 2016 at 1:49 PM

So THAT’S how 0bama knows….

CurtZHP on January 8, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Once again Obama’s hubris leads him to say something stupid.

He just gave a perfect excuse to Democrats who want to distance themselves from him in the coming election cycle.

novaculus on January 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Curt
Sure, if by “exactly why,” you mean “nah, we just don’t feel like it.” Them calling the townhall a spectacle doesn’t mitigate the fact that they were invited to a public forum in order to—for once—have a head-to-head debate on this issue and speak to real-world policy proposals rather than conjecture and paranoia. That they declined to do so is telling.

CivilDiscourse on January 8, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Head to head debate is being allowed to ask one pre-approved question?

NotCoach on January 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Head to head debate is being allowed to ask one pre-approved question?

NotCoach on January 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Stop trying to confuse CivilDisonance with trick questions.

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Oxymoron on January 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Gunbroker

novaculus on January 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Head to head debate is being allowed to ask one pre-approved question?

NotCoach on January 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Debating a troll is like playing chess with a pigeon. Doesn’t matter how seriously you take it, the pigeon will just crap on the board, knock over the pieces, and then strut around like it won.

Debating the Troll-in-Chief would be no different.

CurtZHP on January 8, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Oxymoron on January 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Gunbroker

novaculus on January 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM

I’ve become a fan of Cheaper Than Dirt – at least for ammo. Haven’t bought any guns from them yet, even though they have pretty good prices, since so far I’ve gotten good member deals from my local Shooting Range/Club (currently offering members they will pay all taxes on firearm purchases through January).

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM

ammoseek.com is the best source.

fossten on January 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM

OK… I’ll play your silly game. Exactly how would he go about doing that?

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Essentially in the same way most dictators have established themselves in history – through the same “silly game” – combined with the same, silly, smug, blathering, “…can’t never happen here” ignorance.

-Would suggest you consider your own arguably questionable use of the “silly” label and take your own step back. It was clearly stated in reasonable terms that which we DAILY see corroborated in the endless undermining of the Republic by the DC roach crowd that are for anyone not mentally incompetent there to assess. There is no silly game in facing this historical possibility and dangerous reality.

RL on January 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM

ammoseek.com is the best source.

fossten on January 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM

That’s just a search engine that directs you to sites like Cheaper Than Dirt – and many others that I know nothing about – so I don’t really know if I can trust them.
I also get ammo through Cabela’s and Natchez – I just prefer to stick with sites I’ve dealt with and believe I can trust.

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM

I want one of these, for self defense of course. :)

GAU 19B 50 Cal Gatling Gun

Brian1972 on January 8, 2016 at 2:18 PM

…you do know the history of Republican policy toward mental health that underpins the premise of your point, right?

Kenny Bania’s Great-Grandfather on January 8, 2016 at 1:33 PM

It was in fact Democrats, in collusion with the ACLU, who successfully shut down the Fairfield Hills State Hospital in the (Democrat) state of Connecticut in the 1970s. That would be the state hospital located in…Newtown.

You’re still not worth my time; I just wanted to correct your Lie.

F-

Del Dolemonte on January 8, 2016 at 2:21 PM

The DC fed/media axis smugly declare Social Security as the electrified Third Rail of political campaigns but the real Third Rail is gun control, as evidenced by countless political defeats.

For a party that believes it’s smarter than the other guy, they just can’t help themselves on this subject even when it costs them Congressional majorities or even precious electoral votes (Gore/Bush).

Obama’s threat to withhold campaign appearances is like a skunk telling you he won’t ride in your car after all. Nobody wants him anyway.

jangle12 on January 8, 2016 at 2:22 PM

My friends, we do not promote any kind of reasonable discussion by encouraging trolls like CyphilisDischarge.

I encourage all my friends here to ignore trolls generally. I understand the urge to blast them on occasion; I’ve done it myself. But regularly engaging these scumbags just encourages them and derails constructive, productive discussion.

novaculus on January 8, 2016 at 2:24 PM

GAU 19B 50 Cal Gatling Gun

Brian1972 on January 8, 2016 at 2:18 PM

You’re gonna need a BIG trench coat for that CCW……

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 2:24 PM

If I was an anti-gun Democrat, I’d probably change to pro gun, just to make sure the bastard stayed away from my campaign.

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2016 at 2:27 PM

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM

CTD has some good prices. Gunbroker is an auction site and I’ve gotten some screaming deals there. I also recommend visiting any local gun shows. Get there early to find the best deals. Conversely, if you can be there at closing time you might get a deal from a dealer who doesn’t want to take stuff back with him.

For anyone new to the game I recommend spending some time studying the market before buying anything.

novaculus on January 8, 2016 at 2:28 PM

You’re gonna need a BIG trench coat for that CCW……

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 2:24 PM

I was thinking a the bed of a Silverado 3500 would do nicely.

Brian1972 on January 8, 2016 at 2:32 PM

novaculus on January 8, 2016 at 2:28 PM

Bud’s Gun Shop has some of the best prices on the net. CTD no longer exists, as far as I’m concerned. They were one of the major price gougers during the most recent “crisis”.

Serious Drivel on January 8, 2016 at 2:36 PM

RL on January 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM

How would he enforce it, where is his army? Stop with the rhetoric. Give me a plausible example of him getting control in a dictatorship.

I will stand by silly. We are pretty far gone as a nation, but we are not that far gone yet.

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 2:36 PM

If congressional republicans had any guts, they’d pass a gun law allowing Nationwide reciprocity of State concealed-carry permits.

olesparkie on January 8, 2016 at 2:41 PM

novaculus on January 8, 2016 at 2:28 PM

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 2:42 PM

I hear HonestLib looks just like him in a leather thong.
Well, at least that’s what HE says……

;)

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Life is not fair I tells ya.

I win $700 million in the lottery and no one calls me a financial genius. I blow hug a guy once and everybody calls me gay.

Life ain’t fair.

HonestLib on January 8, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Serious Drivel on January 8, 2016 at 2:36 PM

I guess I should have said CTD used to have good prices. I haven’t shopped there lately. I haven’t had to buy a lot of ammo during the recent shortage.

novaculus on January 8, 2016 at 2:47 PM

Arrogant, petulant nonsense. This dope is our nations leader, God help us!

rjoco1 on January 8, 2016 at 3:02 PM

RL on January 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 2:36 PM

I’ll give this another try: Seems to me that one of the basic parameters in history of such things happening is the UNpredictability of their mechanics. The Beer Hall Putsch is one example, and that followed on the heels of such things as the most “orderly” nation in Europe following the sick, ad hoc “rhetoric” of the little Linzer maniac. I don’t see realistic warnings about such possibilities from real history as being “rhetoric”. Nor are the once, I believe, unthinkable abuses of Lerner, Holder, and all the rest in recent years fundamentally any different from “surprise” historical subversion[s] of comparatively legitimate governments in the past.

Not sure how “stand by silly” relates here, but there is nothing unreasonable about vigilance against dictatorial, compulsive liar, inferior mentalities hidden behind monstrously cancerous egos and [ironically] infantile narcissistic personalities – like Adolph – and their ability to “find a way” to “president for life” status. You might disagree with expressing this, but I cannot see anything silly about being aware of the reality that such things happen without detailed predictability. Thomas Jefferson’s knowledge and deep aversion to the Barbary Retards is another example of this – but in a responsible, principled political figure, which is clearly what we do not have in adequate numbers today.

RL on January 8, 2016 at 3:04 PM

Schadenfreude on January 8, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Obama is the dems Kryptonite.

Mr. Arrogant on January 8, 2016 at 3:05 PM

Obama is the dems Kryptonite.

Mr. Arrogant on January 8, 2016 at 3:05 PM

Er, is that like Killery being their “Cryptonite”?

RL on January 8, 2016 at 3:15 PM

RL on January 8, 2016 at 3:04 PM

You left out significant chunks of history. It was not simply a megalomaniacal Hitler doing a beer hall putsch. They were in dire straits economically, they had been beaten down in WWI and they were very proud and xenophobic nation. To compare the rise of the Third Reich with where we are as a nation and who Obama is, is simply rhetoric.

You were the one who used this rhetoric, “There is no silly game in facing this historical possibility and dangerous reality.”

I ask again, give me a plausible scenario of how this will happen and be executed and held. Without that, your rhetoric is “the same, silly, smug, blathering,”

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 3:16 PM

I want one of these, for self defense of course. :)

GAU 19B 50 Cal Gatling Gun

Brian1972 on January 8, 2016 at 2:18 PM

You’ll shoot you eye out kid.

antipc on January 8, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Legacy: Obama forced into role of First Lady; takes on emotional issues that no one really cares about.

BobMbx on January 8, 2016 at 3:19 PM

You might disagree with expressing this

RL on January 8, 2016 at 3:04 PM

No where did I disagree with expressing this notion. I simply asked, both of you to demonstrate plausibly how Obama would pull this off next year and sustain it.

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Well then not that Obama’s townhall wasn’t smug and out of touch enough….

sorrowen on January 8, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Plausible.

The Australian Law Banned and Confiscated Guns

The crucial fact they omit is that the buyback program was mandatory. Australia’s vaunted gun buyback program was in fact a sweeping program of gun confiscation. Only the articles from USA Today and the Washington Post cited above contain the crucial information that the buyback was compulsory. The article by Smith-Spark, the latest entry in the genre, assuredly does not. It’s the most important detail about the main provision of Australia’s gun laws, and pundits ignore it.

How hard would it be to insert a new line on 1040 tax forms that requires you to list, by serial number, every weapon you own?

How about making it a question on the Census? “Do you own firearms? If so, how many and what kind of firearm are they?”

Federal School loan applications, SSA forms, I-9, W-4, security questionnaire when travelling on federally-regulated systems (airplane, trains, etc.)?

All of these are within Executive Branch power, as so far they are “no cost” items. Make owning a weapon a “negative”, by associating them with other “negative” experiences.

Get the Ad Council to demonize guns in PSAs.

The government controls the narrative. They used it to pass ObamaCare. Why not use it against guns?

BobMbx on January 8, 2016 at 3:36 PM

I’m sure that many Dems will take Obama up on his offer, judging from the Dem’s running away from Obama in past elections.

I can see Obama now in his rocking chair on a lanai in Hawaii, his hands doing a patter as he daydreams about playing golf, like a dog’s legs moving while the dog sleeps, with an occasional “woof”, or in Obama’s case, an occasional “nailed it.”

billrowe on January 8, 2016 at 3:41 PM

BobMbx on January 8, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Thank you for showing the plausibility of outlawing guns. I agree. That is still a long way off from the plausibility of explaining how Obama would remain in power and how he would hold on to that power.

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 3:44 PM

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Sorry, wrong on all counts, unless assigning meanings or thoughts neither intended nor stated by me is somehow your prerogative. I respectfully decline to participate in such “silliness”.

Leaving out “chunks” of history changes neither the basic historical reality nor the point either Constantine or I are making.

To paraphrase a fine author, “we are not required to submit our thoughts to you for approval before we make them”, and neither are you qualified to declare here what “rhetoric” is valid or invalid when it is not truly “rhetoric” in the first place. In fact, your use of the word is at best, inaccurate and at worst, flatly incorrect.

Calling for vigilance against repetitions of undeniable historical events is not “rhetoric”, but absurdly expecting someone to describe in detail how this will happen – lest their concern be dismissed by you, the self-appointed omniscient “author” – is, and looks more to me as a rationalization of your apparently near pathological inability to say simply that you disagree.

Moreover, none of us are either obliged to, or, it appears, interested in, going out on silly limbs to accommodate your absurd expectations to predict what history repeatedly tells us is categorically unpredictable. What part of this does your ego not understand?

Finally, simply because you “ask again” does not imbue you with some cosmic authority to make such requests – or receive an answer – in particular because clearly and through repeated historical reality such questions are and have been impossible to answer as “predictions”. Empty thought [rhetoric] here involves the complacent, smug insistence that simply asking a question which has no definitive answer places you on some objective throne before which the rest of us must bow.

To borrow from a fellow HA contributor for a moment.

F-

Signing off…

RL on January 8, 2016 at 3:45 PM

I want one of these, for self defense of course. :)

GAU 19B 50 Cal Gatling Gun

Brian1972 on January 8, 2016 at 2:18 PM

You’ll shoot you eye out kid.

antipc on January 8, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Haha! Good one. :)

I never get tired of that movie, it’s on my TV all night and day every Dec 24-25.

Brian1972 on January 8, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Signing off…

RL on January 8, 2016 at 3:45 PM

I knew you didn’t have a plausible explanation for you flight of fancy.

Worse, if you did, you wouldn’t/couldn’t do anything. But thanks anyway Paul Revere. You did your job.

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Allen West [email protected] 44m44 minutes ago
Boom: Here’s what TRUMP promises to do about guns on his first day in office http://www.allenbwest.com/2016/01/heres-what-trump-promises-to-do-about-guns-on-his-first-day-in-office/

anotherJoe on January 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM

Obysmal: “There’s always the possibility that that firearm in a home leads to a tragic accident.”

“There’s always the possibility that a book of matches in a home leads to a tragic accident.”

“There’s always the possibility that a gas stove or furnace in a home leads to a tragic accident.”

“There’s always the posibility that a bathtub/a rug/a set of stairs, etc.in a home leads to a tragic accident.”

He is a ninny.

onlineanalyst on January 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM

anotherJoe on January 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM

Trump/West 2016!

Seriously.

Dolce Far Niente on January 8, 2016 at 4:10 PM

Brian1972 on January 8, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Make sure to save room for The Ref, it’s required.

antipc on January 8, 2016 at 4:14 PM

PackerBronco
That’s silly. You don’t decline an opportunity to have an honest debateon the grounds that the opposition may say something misrepresentative after the fact. You make your case the best way you can and allow people to decide. The NRA had a chance to reasonably lay out their opposition. They declined in favor of continuing a campaign not based in reality.

CivilDiscourse on January 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Hilarious! One pre-screened question is your definition of an “honest debate”?

tanked59 on January 8, 2016 at 4:17 PM

And some of you say the president isn’t smart!

What a great way to get out of work! “I’m sorry, but I’m not going to give up my days and weekends on the campaign trail for you, because you’re not supporting my gun control agenda.”

And back to the golf course he goes.

Of course, those of you saying the president is lazy are vindicated.

There Goes the Neighborhood on January 8, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Make sure to save room for The Ref, it’s required.

antipc on January 8, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Priceless:

“You think every morning I wake up, look in the mirror and say ‘Gee I’m glad I’m me and not some 19-year-old billionaire rockstar with the body of an athelete and a 24-hour erektion!’ No I don’t! So just excuse the sh!t out of me!”

The War Planner on January 8, 2016 at 4:41 PM

This is much more threatening.

“Back me or I’ll come to your town and campaign for you!”

glwhisler on January 8, 2016 at 4:42 PM

billrowe on January 8, 2016 at 3:41 PM

..I understand your metaphor but I do not think many dogs sleep int he presence of The Dickless Pharaoh. Ummmm, you know, too much of a chance of the dog ending up in a stew pot on the supper table.

The War Planner on January 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM

CivilDiscourse on January 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Not based in reality?

As opposed to what? Lies about 40% of purchases not subject to background checks, and guns being purchased willy-nilly over the Internet? Emotional arguments on The Children ™ ? Non sequitirs?

Oh, a gun in the home could lead to an accident. So we should have more background checks. And also, no chocolate on Thursdays.

The Schaef on January 8, 2016 at 4:47 PM

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM

ammoseek.com is the best source.

fossten on January 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM

*sigh*

The War Planner on January 8, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Thank you, Mr. President, we’ll call you if we need you.

Dear leader advised the rape victim, who’s attacker may get out earlier than the 24 years he received, basically to shelter in place. Is that about it?

Kissmygrits on January 8, 2016 at 4:48 PM

He’s real big on power plays that go nowhere — except to feed his vanity.

PattyJ on January 8, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Neitherleftorright on January 8, 2016 at 3:44 PM

I obviously missed something…..

BobMbx on January 8, 2016 at 5:30 PM

Does Obama really have the ability to rally anybody these days?

Happy Nomad on January 8, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Sure. Gun rights advocates, pro-lifers, Christians, free market types and people who want smaller government and more liberty.

That they declined to do so is telling.

CivilDiscourse on January 8, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Is it “telling” that his examples of countries with “sensible gun laws” are places like Australia and the UK, where they forcibly confiscated everyone’s firearms?

Why or why not? Why is it more or less “telling” than the NRA failing to show up to be pilloried and lied about by Obama, which is how he can be counted upon to treat those he opposes (see how Republicans are treated at any event where he speaks for numerous examples)?

They declined in favor of continuing a campaign not based in reality.

CivilDiscourse on January 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Please explain how Obama’s proposals are “based in reality.” Be specific. For example, explain how any of them would have prevented the events he uses as a reason to call for those proposals. Or explain how they would burden those who are criminal without burdening to equal or greater degree those who are law abiding.

Or for that matter, explain how the NRA’s defense of gun rights is not based in reality. Not straw men created by Democrats, the NRA’s actual words.

If you purport to want to influence policy, but decline to openly debate it—when expressly invited by the POTUS—then you’re either scared to discuss realistic policy as proposed, or you’re confident that your propaganda is enough to carry the day without debate.

CivilDiscourse on January 8, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Or you doubt your ideas will be given anything remotely like a fair hearing. I think the evidence of this President’s entire term(s) strongly suggest this third possibility. Do you have any evidence to suggest otherwise?

GrumpyOldFart on January 8, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Allen West [email protected] 44m44 minutes ago

anotherJoe on January 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM

I may just have to vote for this Trump guy afterall…..

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 6:15 PM

The War Planner on January 8, 2016 at 4:41 PM

What is the matter with you? I thought Mothers were sweet and nice a-a-and patient. I know loan sharks who are more forgiving than you. Your husband ain’t dead, lady. He’s hiding.

ROF

antipc on January 8, 2016 at 6:21 PM

“That’s where I understand this violence happens,” she said, mentioning that her daughter will be a year old soon. “It’s not just on the news. It’s not just in far-off places. My nightmares are real. They are my memories. I don’t want that for my own kid.”

Couldn’t have written a better lead-in if I had tried.
ICYMI the first ninety times I linked:

AesopFan on January 8, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Allen West [email protected] 44m44 minutes ago

anotherJoe on January 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM

I may just have to vote for this Trump guy afterall…..

dentarthurdent on January 8, 2016 at 6:15 PM

That’s what a lot of people are thinking.

“I would get rid of gun-free zones on schools … and on military bases. My first day it gets signed,” Trump said, pledging to take immediate action should he succeed in his bid for the White House.

“There’s no more gun-free zones,” he repeated, drawing a deafening applause from the audience….

Just to get the point across on what a difference this will make, here are the facts on gun free zones:

Since 1950, all but two mass public shootings in America have occurred in gun free zones
Every single mass shooting in Europe has occurred in a gun free zone
From 1977-1999, multiple deaths from mass public shootings fell 60 percent when state governments began decriminalizing the concealed carry of handguns
The evidence on the danger of gun free zones is clear.

Guns don’t kill people. Gun free zones do.

For your viewing

AesopFan on January 8, 2016 at 6:34 PM

“common-sense”. Why do I have a feeling that he will be out campaigning for any Democrat who cares to have him.

For don’t we already have “common-sense gun laws”, and doesn’t a candidate merely have to argue for better enforcement of these existing laws to meet Mr. Obama’s criterion?

unclesmrgol on January 8, 2016 at 8:41 PM

No sensible Democrat who wants to keep his office will accept an Obama endorsement anyway. The whole country has seen what comes of that (apart from some really committed, reality-challenged True Believers, who seem to be mostly white). I’ve never seen a president fail this big, even Richard Nixon or Jimmy Carter, and I’ve seen a lot of presidential administrations. If black Americans want to see the first African-American president (and I use “African-American advisedly), they’d better start vetting someone worthy of the title, because it’s not Barack Insane Obama.

RebeccaH on January 8, 2016 at 9:11 PM

WE have lots of dumb Democrats in Congress that will go along with Obama to share in the payola, campaign contributions and pats on the cheeks by Obama!

The DAYS OF honest government representation is long gone – it appears!

Obamatrix on January 8, 2016 at 9:39 PM

unclesmrgol on January 8, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Common sense seems to be outlawed in Congress. Many members have never had real jobs and have only experienced employment by government which is generally grossly incompetent and signs legislation written by lobbyists and special interests.

Common Sense, is frowned on in Government!

Obamatrix on January 8, 2016 at 9:42 PM

F X Muldoon on January 8, 2016 at 1:31 PM

It’s safer to own a gun than engage in homo-butt-sex. Will the LGBTQXYZ crowd back off?

Nutstuyu on January 8, 2016 at 11:31 PM

Obama has been a wrecking ball. He swings into conservatives, trying make contact and swings back against his own crowd, who would like to have some political future. Could it be that Obama campaign hacks are now packing their bags and looking for the next gig?

So when he comes in and says “let’s go after the 2nd amendment”, they say “Sure, why not?”as they take their photos off their desks. ” Josh will help you on that…”

virgo on January 9, 2016 at 9:37 AM

Debating the Troll-in-Chief would be no different.

CurtZHP on January 8, 2016 at 1:57 PM

Bravo Dear Sir,
This is the best description I have seen in regards to this exercise in futility.

sortssux on January 9, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Obama to Dems: Back my gun-control play or I won’t campaign for you

Electable Dems to Obama: Promise???

landlines on January 9, 2016 at 3:18 PM

Oxymoron on January 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Gunbroker

novaculus on January 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM

At least attempt to make an intelligent point. EVERY sale on this site MUST go through an FFL dealer complete with an FBI Background Check as with EVERY other internet sight that deals in guns. Don’t go through life stupid!

trs on January 9, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Haven’t we heard this somewhere before? ‘If you like your guns, you can keep your guns.’

Irene Flick on January 11, 2016 at 2:00 AM

Arrogant, petulant nonsense. This dope is our nations leader, God help us!

rjoco1 on January 8, 2016 at 3:02 PM

Not a leader at all. Just the current temporary seasonal employee residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Lammo on January 11, 2016 at 11:43 AM